Type keyword(s) to search

Chicago Justice - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Assuming the characters from the backdoor pilot remain, it's sort of ironic the prosecutor has the last name of...Stone. Wonder if ol' Dick Wolf will connect the two and have Stone the Second as a relative of Stone the First or if it'll just be a coincidence?

Coming off her breakout role as “hot Rachel” on Lifetime’s UnReal, Monica Barbaro has booked another series regular gig, joining the new NBC legal drama series Chicago Justice.

The fourth series in Dick Wolf’s Chicago franchise centers on Chicago State’s Attorney’s dedicated team of prosecutors and investigators as they navigate heated city politics and controversy head-on while fearlessly pursuing justice. Barbaro will play a well-educated, whip-smart, quick-tongued and sharp-witted Assistant State’s Attorney. She can drink beers with the boys or take a night out at the opera. She also is not afraid to take risks and get her hands dirty to get justice.

There was an ASA in the backdoor pilot for Chicago Justice played by Nazneen Contractor who subsequently exited the series. This is not a replacement as Barbaro will play a new character. On the Chicago Justice cast, she joins Philip Winchester, Carl Weathers, Joelle Carter and Ryan-James Hatanaka.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/08/chicago-justice-monica-barbaro-joins.html

3 minutes ago, Calamity Jane said:

Wasn't McCoy the one that was from Chicago?  

Don't know, but it's kind of odd the prosecutor in the back door pilot was named Stone, since the Mothership had Ben Stone. Stranger still since Shambala Green will appear per TV Line. Hence the talk of her history with Stone the First.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

Wasn't McCoy the one that was from Chicago?  

Pretty sure McCoy's father was a NYC cop but maybe not. Ben Stone--OMG Michael Moriarty was soooo good playing him IMO. His character really was a good, thoughtful person--so many good episodes with him imo, and hardly any personal stories. Too bad Moriarty crashed and burned, but his character never suffered. Jack McCoy got the rascal corner-cutting "ends justify the means" story lines and ironically a lot more of the blah blah blah episodes where we had to hear him argue for the right thing. I'd love for the writers of Justice to go back to the old school focus on the plot and not so much the characters (let them develop slowly).

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 2

Wikipedia:  

While he is a brilliant legal mind, McCoy has more than a few personal demons. He was abused by his father, an Irish Chicago policeman who had also beat Jack's mother, and who eventually died of cancer.[5] McCoy says that his determination and unyielding work ethic are a byproduct of having been harshly punished by his father for losing at anything.[5] He also revealed that his father was a racist who once hit him for dating a Polish girl.[6] McCoy disliked his father, calling him a "son-of-a-bitch"; however, he admits he could have easily become like him.[6]

It's been said in the L&O Mothership forum that Ben mentioned a daughter but never a son, so there may be some revisionist history going on. Not the first time since Captain Cragen mentioned kids when captain on the Mothership but then were zapped out of existence by the time he started on SVU six years after leaving the Mothership.

Am I the only one who finds Antonio a bore? I'm not all that excited by the premise of this show, nor its slate of characters. And I like Nazneen Contractor. I'm sorry she "exited" the show, and I can't help wondering why. I guess I'm willing to give it a chance. I liked the backdoor pilot well enough at the time, I think; but I barely remember it now. (Med has definitely improved over time since its own BDP.)

Apparently, Nazneen Contractor will be appearing on the mid-season show Ransom on CBS (Global in Canada). It's a Canada/US/Germany/France co-production, filmed partly in Canada, and partly in Europe.

Edited by Sandman
Maybe it was a better commute?

Well, let's see: Of Original Recipe Law & Order actors and/or characters who are reported to be appearing on Chicago Justice, we have Shambala Green coming, one of the lawyers now playing Ben Stone's son, and now, it seems that Richard Brooks' Paul Robinette will be dropping in for an episode.

Maybe this should have been called Law & Order: Chicago.

• Love 1

Firehouse 51 responded to a horrific warehouse fire that killed 39 people. This led the Chicago P.D. on a manhunt for the suspect. Now with someone in custody for both arson and multiple murders, it is up to Peter Stone and his team, including lead investigator Antonio Dawson to step in to bring some peace and resolution to so many families and friends of those lost - including one very close to home. When the team comes face to face with a hotshot attorney, they find themselves up against a dicey confession, incriminating evidence, and a questionable motive.

Of note, this episode is the third hour of a crossover event with Chicago Fire and Chicago PD.

9 minutes ago, paigow said:

Now with extra zombie.....

Huh? (I assure you, she was alive on CI, doing her usual shark routine and trying to get her client to go for blood. Hee.) Per TV Line, she is now a judge. Now that's scary!

ETA: You must be referring to what happened to her on the Mothership! If I recall, she survived that, although injured.  A while back in the L&O Mothership forum, someone recalled her in a sling or something.  :-)

She was "Queen of Alexandria" on Walking Dead ....Wouldn't New!Stone be able to recuse her for any case where her historical "feminist" bias presents a conflict? I thought McCoy outed her as a faux feminist back in the day...

Edited by paigow
25 minutes ago, paigow said:

She was "Queen of Alexandria" on Walking Dead ....Wouldn't New!Stone be able to recuse her for any case where her historical "feminist" bias presents a conflict? I thought McCoy outed her as a faux feminist back in the day...

Like Melnick would recuse. She always was shady.  :-P

• Love 1

Huh, just realized the start date for this was originally supposed to be the 5th as per above. I guess ol' Dick Wolf wanted this show in on the crossover action, hence starting 4 days sooner [I think the Wednesday airing on March 1st is a one-time deal].

(edited)

It's been said on Wikipedia and spoiled on Twitter that Peter Stone is Ben Stone's son! :)

I am pretty damn thrilled with this. As I always liked Stone better than McCoy (not to say that I didn't like McCoy. Cause I did)

I think it's kinda hilarious in a way. Dick Wolf is clever. He's like...You can my Law and Order. I'll just bring it back in a way. Up yours' NBC.

Also spoiler....

Spoiler

Robinette is in Sunday's episode. Was confirmed that Richard Brooks filmed for it.

Edited by Ryan Chamberlain
  • Love 2
On 5/21/2016 at 11:40 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Assuming the characters from the backdoor pilot remain, it's sort of ironic the prosecutor has the last name of...Stone. Wonder if ol' Dick Wolf will connect the two and have Stone the Second as a relative of Stone the First or if it'll just be a coincidence?

Peter Stone is Ben Stone's son. The actor has explained that his character feels he has to be especially good to live up to his father's reputation.

• Love 1
(edited)

Loved it.

Chicago Justice is basically Law and Order (the mothership type) But just set in Chicago. Loved loved loved it. Also, there's a tie to the OG Law and Order that I am more than happy about. (According to plenty of sources. Peter Stone is Ben Stone's son) So, yeah. I hope it gets renewed for a second season. Seems like alot of people on Twitter also liked it.

I did want Al to kill that SOB in the end though. But, at least thanks to Stone..(who is just like his dad when it comes to badass lawyering) that jerk firebug will be locked away for a good long time.

Edited by Ryan Chamberlain
  • Love 3

I saw the Tovah Feldshuh was the judge, and just figured it was part of Dick Wolf's predilection for favorite actors. Then I saw the name plate on her desk, she is a transplanted Diane Melnick!

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Kleav said:

Peter Stone is Ben Stone's son. The actor has explained that his character feels he has to be especially good to live up to his father's reputation.

Well. Peter's doing a heck of a job living up to that reputation so far. I cannot wait to see the second episode on Sunday.

• Love 2
(edited)

Really enjoyed this! I have yet to get into the Chicago franchise except for Chicago PD when it crosses over with Law and Order SVU and then I am underwhelmed with it. Will definitely be watching Justice again and might check out Med as I always did enjoy ER and it might be a good med drama to fill that gap since I have no interest in Greys Anatomy(Seems too soap-operaish).

Edited by MadyGirl1987
Spelling correction
1 hour ago, Kleav said:

Oh, I know!  :-) After that post, I posted somewhere in the forum a Twitter link from an entertainment reporter confirming the Stone connection.  :-)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, NYCFree said:

I saw the Tovah Feldshuh was the judge, and just figured it was part of Dick Wolf's predilection for favorite actors. Then I saw the name plate on her desk, she is a transplanted Diane Melnick!

Danielle Melnick, and yeah, good to see sharks land upward.  ;-)

• Love 1
(edited)

Although I liked this okay and the writing was good, I have to say I was a little underwhelmed. The show could have been called Law & Order. reset in NYC, and just restart a new season of that. what with the young earnest assistant, etc., etc. I don't know why there are cops on this show--it seems a big overlap of PD's work. They should probably focus on the Justice and let the police presence fade away (Nagel and Dawson can transfer to Chicago CTA or Sanitation or something), which would really differentiate it from the L&O style and look, and mesh better with the three other Chicago's (for instance, we see only the Fire paramedics on Med, we don't have other paramedics or ambulance units working from there). Peter Stone should adopt some of Ben Stone's seriousness and mannerisms (I adored Ben Stone's character on L&O) if he's supposed to be his son (even though we never knew anything about Ben Stone's personal life on L&O, including the existence of a son). And come on with the defense attorney conning them into playing right into his hands--bleah imo. That was just unnecessarily gimmicky considering the plot line was so strong.

But I'll watch no matter what.

2 hours ago, Ryan Chamberlain said:

Loved it.

Chicago Justice is basically Law and Order (the mothership type) But just set in Chicago. Loved loved loved it. Also, there's a tie to the OG Law and Order that I am more than happy about. (According to plenty of sources. Peter Stone is Ben Stone's son) So, yeah. I hope it gets renewed for a second season. Seems like alot of people on Twitter also liked it.

I did want Al to kill that SOB in the end though. But, at least thanks to Stone..(who is just like his dad when it comes to badass lawyering) that jerk firebug will be locked away for a good long time.

Nah, even the judge herself said allowing Peter to put the defendant on the stand would help with the defendant's appeal--he'll be out in no time.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Ryan Chamberlain said:

I....Dick Wolf is clever. He's like...You can my Law and Order. I'll just bring it back in a way. Up yours' NBC.

NBC is pretty clever too--the Chicagos are the backbone of their week.

• Love 1

I liked the first episode pretty good, considering I'm not a fan of the other Chicago shows, but I watched this one because of the L&O ties and it definitely had an L&O feel unlike the other ultra soapy Chicago shows. The shows format reminds me of the short lived L&O Trial By Jury, with the focus all on the DA's and their investigators, I'm surprised no one else has made that comparison.

I really like the main character who's Ben Stone's son, he is a compelling lead and he does remind me somewhat of Ben Stone with his passion for justice and the law. The head DA is good and some of the scenes with the 3 prosecutors reminded me of dialogue from the original L&O, I like the 2 investigators as well. The assistant doesn't seem to add much and seems to just be a pretty face but hopefully they will flesh her out more. I like how Stone stood up for the truth and didn't let himself get bullied by that piece of shit Voight, why anyone is supposed to sympathize with that dude is beyond me, he ruins Chicago PD for me. Any cop worth their salt wouldn't let a victim's dad anywhere near a suspect or the investigation, detective or not, clearly a recipe for disaster. 

It was interesting to see Danielle Melnick as a judge, but I would've liked an explanation for how she wound up in Chicago as a judge, I like seeing original L&O characters but how come all these people have licenses in New York and Illinois : Shambala Green, Danielle Melnick and Robinette apparently. No one even called Melnick by name in this one or referenced that she was known to the L&O fans, I would love to know how many viewers even knew about her.

I will definitely watch this show more, and I think it will be a lot different than the other Chicago soaps. Hopefully this show will be able to stand on its on and not be so intertwined with PD. I can't wait to see Robinette in the next episode. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I liked the first episode pretty good, considering I'm not a fan of the other Chicago shows, but I watched this one because of the L&O ties and it definitely had an L&O feel unlike the other ultra soapy Chicago shows. The shows format reminds me of the short lived L&O Trial By Jury, with the focus all on the DA's and their investigators, I'm surprised no one else has made that comparison.

I really like the main character who's Ben Stone's son, he is a compelling lead and he does remind me somewhat of Ben Stone with his passion for justice and the law. The head DA is good and some of the scenes with the 3 prosecutors reminded me of dialogue from the original L&O, I like the 2 investigators as well. The assistant doesn't seem to add much and seems to just be a pretty face but hopefully they will flesh her out more. I like how Stone stood up for the truth and didn't let himself get bullied by that piece of shit Voight, why anyone is supposed to sympathize with that dude is beyond me, he ruins Chicago PD for me. Any cop worth their salt wouldn't let a victim's dad anywhere near a suspect or the investigation, detective or not, clearly a recipe for disaster. 

I caught the Trail by Jury format also and judging by

Spoiler

the Robinette spot we saw in the promo

along with the female State's Attorney investigator saying basically we can do nothing with any case that the Intelligence squad brings in leaves you wondering how Justice can live with injustice 

I did not warm up to the two female characters in any way, shape, or form.  Were they supposed to be written that way?

So good to see Antonio back, and hopefully if this show doesn't make it, he can go back to Chicago PD.  But moreover, I hope he has a larger role on this show in future episodes.  He was barely seen or did anything.  All of the shows seemed to be like that - reduced screen time for each character as compared to normal.

I never really watched Law & Order, but I think I'll watch this show.  Peter Stone seems like someone I can root for.

18 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

So good to see Antonio back, and hopefully if this show doesn't make it, he can go back to Chicago PD.

That squad room is overflowing....2 or 3 need to get killed / transfer / retire

I've only ever watched the crossover Law and Orders for the Chicago shows, so didn't have any clue how many characters were the same or were connected.  I'm okay with that, and having said that, I can't be the only one who gets annoyed with these crossover shows?  I understand why tonight was done like this, but I don't need anymore of these this season.

It was wonderful seeing Philip Winchester back on my tv.  I miss him and Sullivan Stapleton's partnership/bromance so much from their Strike Back days.  I wouldn't have a problem if Sully, but not his entire show, ever showed up on here.

I'll keep watching.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Shades of Red said:

I wouldn't have a problem if Sully, but not his entire show, ever showed up on here.

Hey..there is a tattoo of the Sears Tower and Oprah on her thigh......

• Love 5