Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E13: It Only Gets Much Worse

• Start Topic

It's so random that they just up and made a Trauma attending the new Chief of General Surgery. I mean I know all the doctors have a baseline of general surgery, but Bailey hired April over other General Surgery attendings for the job. That, in itself, is messed up.  

• Love 10

It's like the show just wants to say: "You know when you worked at a fast food place and someone was put in charge, who had less experience and was hired much later than anyone else!" "Surprise, they are your boss now!" Sadly, been there, but April in charge makes even less sense when it has been shown: 1. She can't do it before. 2. She falls apart when things get too complicated. We know April got much better after going off to war, but still to now be chief of General Surgery because Meredith dared to question the stupidity of both Bailey and to the fact, Catherine. Makes very little sense. 

• Love 8
On 2/11/2017 at 1:06 PM, moonorchid said:

Why do people think april can't do it?

she was chosen chief resident through everyone else shooting themselves in the foot, had a hard time at first cause no one respected her at all, but she stood her ground and wielded her authority and made it work. She was still chief resident by the end of her residency, unlike Callie who couldn't hack it at all. So I don't get the unqualified part. 

She gets flustered easily but I don't think she falls apart. She doesn't get the benefit of everyone thinking she's already gods gift to medicine so where Meredith gets to start at the front of the line, April has to start in the parking lot.

Its stupid, dumb, and unprofessional that Meredith got suspended and it's equally all that and unfair that April was put between a rock and a hard place. Unlike everyone else, she has the least amount of leverage. She's not an owner, on the board, or has pedigree. If bailey gave her an ultimatum, and after seeing Meredith grey be suspended, then I don't see a scenario where April could have refused. 

But April is a traitor and Meredith is a martyr. I'll be shocked if this episode doesn't  go step by step what I think it will.

With the caveat of holding final judgement until we see how it all plays out, I totally agree with you LOL!  Other than being "the Grey in Grey's anatomy," I'm not really sure what qualifications Meredith has for this job that April doesn't.  April might get flustered, but Meredith has personality conflicts with half of the hospital.  Its an administrative job yes, but it is also a job where you have to be a respected and respectful leader, and no matter how much the show tells me that Meredith is beloved by all, I just don't buy it.  In the last year or so alone, she has had major conflicts with Amelia, Maggie, DeLuca, Owen, Riggs and Jo.  She is on better terms with most of them now, but, IMO, April's personality and qualifications are just as suited to "Chief" as Meredith's are.  She did field work, she has been innovative, her teaching skills are a lot better than Meredith's lately, and she hasn't been as bogged down in personal problems as Meredith has.  But I will be shocked if April doesn't get completely thrown under the bus so that the show can tell us, yet again, how great Meredith is.  I would much prefer that they actually show us by her actions and by her skills with people and her leadership, but they don't do much of that anymore.

• Love 11

I wish April would just tell that smug Catherine Avery off.........Catherine is going to be the one with egg on her face, the back stabbing witch!  To her own husband, too!  Yet she has the nerve to tell April she should be embarrassed?  I.  Don't.  Think.  So.

April is quite good at teaching, remember the episode when she had Shane in the clinic on Lumps & Bumps day?  She's only "scattered" because the writers want her to be that way, so they can make fun of her and her values system.  The reason she is super annoying is because of her voice, which goes squeaky and grating when she gets upset.  Other than that, she's a pretty great doctor and person, and her mistakes have been far less egregious than many on the GSM staff.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

With the caveat of holding final judgement until we see how it all plays out, I totally agree with you LOL!  Other than being "the Grey in Grey's anatomy," I'm not really sure what qualifications Meredith has for this job that April doesn't.  April might get flustered, but Meredith has personality conflicts with half of the hospital.  Its an administrative job yes, but it is also a job where you have to be a respected and respectful leader, and no matter how much the show tells me that Meredith is beloved by all, I just don't buy it.  In the last year or so alone, she has had major conflicts with Amelia, Maggie, DeLuca, Owen, Riggs and Jo.  She is on better terms with most of them now, but, IMO, April's personality and qualifications are just as suited to "Chief" as Meredith's are.  She did field work, she has been innovative, her teaching skills are a lot better than Meredith's lately, and she hasn't been as bogged down in personal problems as Meredith has.  But I will be shocked if April doesn't get completely thrown under the bus so that the show can tell us, yet again, how great Meredith is.  I would much prefer that they actually show us by her actions and by her skills with people and her leadership, but they don't do much of that anymore.

Exactly, what are merediths stellar qualifications that make her so much more qualified than april? It's still a hold over of the season 6 mentality of "invader" and really crappy writing that April is still so disliked but characters like Maggie, who shares a lot of the same qualities, was liked right off the bat (maybe not so much now but she got a lot more leeway than april ever did).

the way it's come to April is not her fault and from the episode we did see it looked like she may have been coerced. I am of course willing to see how it plays out. But the idea that April is sooooo unqualified for the job compared to Meredith is beyond me.

• Love 7

For me, it's not that April isn't capable of doing the job. It's that she's in trauma and it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to overlook the other (no name) general surgeons under Meredith, since the job clearly wouldn't be given to Richard, in favor of giving it to an attending in another specialty. 

I almost think that there may be a twist and there was a conversation between April and Bailey, and this is Bailey's round about way to fix things. But then again, they've made Bailey look like a fool throughout this that most likely she will continue down the same path and it will blow up in her face. 

The only joy I foresee myself getting from this storyline is the backlash Catherine will receive from Richard and Jackson. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, funnygirl said:

For me, it's not that April isn't capable of doing the job. It's that she's in trauma and it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to overlook the other (no name) general surgeons under Meredith, since the job clearly wouldn't be given to Richard, in favor of giving it to an attending in another specialty. 

I almost think that there may be a twist and there was a conversation between April and Bailey, and this is Bailey's round about way to fix things. But then again, they've made Bailey look like a fool throughout this that most likely she will continue down the same path and it will blow up in her face. 

The only joy I foresee myself getting from this storyline is the backlash Catherine will receive from Richard and Jackson. 

Oh you know it's going to backfire on both Bailey and Catherine. The stupidity of why Catherine thinks this would be the be all, end all answer to the hospital's teaching problems and Bailey acting like she has a gun to her head. I'm pretty sure it will all end with Bailey out of the chief position, Meredith getting the job and Catherine on the outs with everyone else. 

• Love 3

Trauma surgeons are General Surgeons. I know Grey's does a bad job at showing this, but trauma surgeons are board certified as general surgeons, what make them trauma surgeons is the additional training in trauma. So April is every bit as qualified to be the Chief of General Surgery 

• Love 16

I am totally disgusted with what they just did to Grey's, suspending Meredeth and then making April (of all people) Chief of Surgery?!

I've got to give April credit for tenacity, but she's a flake. She has always been a flake -but not telling Jackson that they were pregnant was really stupid. No way that could have ended well. If there's one thing you need from a Chief of Surgery, it's stability and reliability and clear thinking under pressure. That's not April. I think only Alec would have been a less appropriate choice for Chief of Surgery than April.

Not to mention, there's an issue with nepotism. April isn't married to Jackson anymore, but she was, and she's raising Caroline's only grandchild! 

I'm a forever fan of Grey's --but tonight, I won't be watching it. I mean, Even weight loss surgery for 600 lb. people is starting to look good, in comparison to this story line!

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
wanted to re-phrase
  • Love 2

I've hated April for 8 seasons now. I hated how she was supposed to always be treated with kid gloves, I hated her on-again/off-again relationship with Jackson, I hated all her "from the farm" storylines and the "I failed so I'm going back to the farm, ho hum woe is me" storylines, I hated how we were supposed to feel bad for her when she failed her boards. And this episode did her no favors either. I know we're supposed to hate her with this plot, but since I had no prior good feeling for her this whole plot is just throwing dirt on the coffin that was already nailed shut.

Thanks, I needed to get that off my chest.

• Love 19

I really hate everyone on this show. Every single character was grating and borderline frustrating. 

Also Minnick is terrible. If that scene of her failing to help Stephanie because she's never had a child die was supposed to garner sympathy. It didn't. 

Also why are they forcing Arizona and Minnick on  Us

• Love 22

This was so aggravating. Minnick ticked me off, as did Maggie. It bugged me that everyone was against April. Would they have preferred that another outsider came in as Chief of Surgery? I liked that April's "people" (Owen and Riggs) stuck up for her and I liked her with Catherine at the end. 

As a parent, I couldn't watch that surgery with the boy. That was just too much. 

• Love 16
Just now, SnoGirl said:

Poor Stephanie. This reminded me of George and his first surgery. I wish Grey and Alex had been in this episode, we could have gotten a passing mention of his surgery...or George's nickname as a result.

It's this kind of callback to earlier seasons (and earlier characters) that I would like to see. Not a repeat of previous plots, but a way to show the passage of time at the hospital, especially from the viewpoint of those who have been around since the beginning. It would also allow for some relationship building between characters - give them a connection and a reason to integrate more. Aside from a few recent scenes with all the attendings, groups/friendships on this show are very much based on when characters were introduced. It doesn't allow me find an appreciation for new characters if they don't interact with the old ones that I love.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, benson12 said:

I didnt think I could like a character less than Penny, but I was wrong. Minnick is a disaster,  I cant wait for this storyline to wrap up. 

Also, when did April pass her boards?

Like episode 3 of season 10. 

So timeline, a year after she failed her board, she re-took it and past it. 

• Love 1

I came away feeling kinda of sorry for April. I am now even more convinced that Catherine is setting her up. Catherine went from having no use for April to being her bestie in a second. She might be going for a two-fer get Richard to leave with her and get Jackson and baby away from April.

I can forgive Minnick failing Stephanie, but to leave those poor parents in the waiting room not knowing their son was dead is beyond unforgivable.

Bailey, when your husband cannot declare that he is on your side, he isn't. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 16
2 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I came away feeling kinda of sorry for April. I am now even more convinced that Catherine is setting her up. Catherine went from having no use for April to being her bestie in a second. She might be going for a two-fer get Richard to leave with her and get Jackson and baby away from April.

I don't know April and Catherine bonded and she seemed to be really fond of April before April got with Jackson.  Maybe now that Jackson and April aren't together anymore her and Catherine are going back to the relationship they had before.  That what Debbie Allen made it seem like on twitter that there would be more April and Catherine.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, shantown said:

It's this kind of callback to earlier seasons (and earlier characters) that I would like to see. Not a repeat of previous plots, but a way to show the passage of time at the hospital, especially from the viewpoint of those who have been around since the beginning. It would also allow for some relationship building between characters - give them a connection and a reason to integrate more. Aside from a few recent scenes with all the attendings, groups/friendships on this show are very much based on when characters were introduced. It doesn't allow me find an appreciation for new characters if they don't interact with the old ones that I love.

I agree. Imagine if the storyline wasn't with Richard but with Alex. It could have been Alex comforting her with a story of his old collegue and his first surgery. And teaching her how to talk to parents. Heck, Richard could have been there too, watching another intern he brought up stepping up to the plate. And it would have fit the storyline too, being a Peds patient.

• Love 11

I missed last week's episode. I know I tuned it but it was a re-run. Very odd. So I was out to sea as to why Meredith was suspended (I've since read a recap of last week, so I have a basic grasp). 

Don't know what to say...it was such a hostile, stressful episode. Absolutely nothing good happened [edited to add: at least Janice from the Sopranos' tumor was removed and she lived.] I knew that child was going to die the moment they showed him. Just awful. I found it completely distasteful that Stephanie was bouncing up and down on her toes with excitement as she told Minnick (or whatever her name is) how to prep the boy for surgery.

Spoiler

However, since the actress is leaving the show, perhaps this traumatic incident will be what propels the character to leave her employ at the hospital.

Otherwise - April's hair looked beautiful. 

Catherine is very polarizing - either she's loved or she's hated - but for some reason, I like her character. Or maybe I just really like Debbie Allen and the fact that she's not young, gorgeous, or model thin (although I think she's quite good looking, actually). Remains to be seen if her marriage can survive this hit, though.

Oh god, so I guess Arizona and Minnick are gonna be getting together. Oy vey.

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 4

But April is a traitor and Meredith is a martyr. I'll be shocked if this episode doesn't  go step by step what I think it will.

I'm thinking this is a set-up where April's character will be used as the villain in the storyline or the patsy by Catherine. I get she's trying to fight for respect and that maybe she's worthy of the position but I don't if it's the writing or the acting but she's lashing out really harsh.  Beside why do we need another arc to prove April is tough? Didn't last season finale show when she had a live c-section prove she's not afraid and able to handle high stress situation? It looks like Catherine's strategy of divide and conquer is starting. And that really sucks that they're going to make the April character be the fall guy when this storyline goes down badly. And this story arc really puts ambitious women in a really bad light. I predict that Catherine might lose her marriage in the end result.

I didnt think I could like a character less than Penny, but I was wrong. Minnick is a disaster,  I cant wait for this storyline to wrap up. 

This is a bad way to introduce a character. She's already disliked and not that charming in her way she interacts with the character. Before she came all super confident and cocky about how to teach/be a doctor and the first sign of failure she runs and hides like a first year. This is the pro that Bailey brought? I didn't like how she was relieved she didn't have to explain to the parents that their child is dead. That's a cowardly way to go and makes me even distrust her ability to teach or even a doctor even more. Look, I get you need them to get the doctors their first solo surgery but must you put them in a high risk one? Because I don't think the parents would appreciate their kid being used as an experimental teaching tool. They don't care if they made an honest mistake, they want the best working on it and for Minnick too cowardly to face them and take their sorrow/anger for using their kid as an experiment doesn't sit right. Makes her look even weaker in my eyes. And I find it hard that she has never experienced failure once, what kind of teacher would never experienced that so that they can teach the student how to overcome it? Setting this episode up to humanize her makes me feel the opposite.

Edited by redfish
  • Love 16
5 minutes ago, redfish said:

I'm thinking this is a set-up where April's character will be used as the villain in the storyline or the patsy by Catherine. I get she's trying to fight for respect and that maybe she's worthy of the position but I don't if it's the writing or the acting but she's lashing out really harsh.  Beside why do we need another arc to prove April is tough? Didn't last season finale show when she had a live c-section prove she's not afraid and able to handle high stress situation? It looks like Catherine's strategy of divide and conquer is starting. And that really sucks that they're going to make the April character be the fall guy when this storyline goes down badly. And this story arc really puts ambitious women in a really bad light. I predict that Catherine might lose her marriage in the end result.

This is a bad way to introduce a character. She's already disliked and not that charming in her way she interacts with the character. Before she came all super confident and cocky about how to teach/be a doctor and the first sign of failure she runs and hides like a first year. This is the pro that Bailey brought? I didn't like how she was relieved she didn't have to explain to the parents that their child is dead. That's cowardly way to go and makes me even distrust her ability to teach or even a doctor even more. Look, I get you need them to get the doctors their first solo surgery but must you put them in a high risk one? Because I don't think the parents would appreciate their kid being used as an experimental teaching tool. They don't care if they made an honest mistake, they want the best working on it and for Minnick too cowardly to face them and take their sorrow/anger for using their kid as an experiment doesn't sit right. Makes her look even weaker in my eyes. And I find it hard that she has never experienced failure once, what kind of teacher would never experienced that so that they can teach the student how to overcome it? Setting this episode up to humanize her makes me feel the opposite.

It very well could be. I haven't seen the episode yet but from what I've gathered on twitter and friends early viewing but could it be she's lashing out hard cause everyone is lashing at her hard? Not one person is giving her the benefit of the doubt, even just to ask, "what the hell are you doing?" 

This may not be about April proving she's tough, but April proving she's deserving of respect and her position, albeit we all know it's temporary. April has always always been given the least amount of consideration as a resident. April has had to start from the back at every step of the way. Jackson doesn't even believe her, so what do you think everyone else thinks of her?

i don't think this show puts ambitious women in a bad light, unless your April kepner. But I don't think April was being an opotunist...she was asked to step up and, like the good soldier she is....she stepped up. Honestly they all need to resign if they want to make a statement.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, funnygirl said:

Tonight's episode proved to me Dr. Minnick's inexperience. I know the crying was supposed to make her more "human", but compare to Richard's teaching moment consoling Stephanie, if it wasn't already obvious how much she pales in comparison, it is crystal clear now. And I did not feel bad for her, because this is the same negligent woman that goes and cuts an artery for the hell of it. Bringing her on as some agent of change hero on a white horse was unbelievable then and even more so now. She's very much a disposable character that is chewing up too much screen time, while Alex and Meredith are nowhere in sight. 

This times a million.

• Love 5

April didn't need to lash out at a patient. Look, I'd be really unhappy to have a Dr I didn't know taking over my care and surgery with zero notice.

Also, April had to know the reception with he new position was going to be negative. While she has the surgery skills, she doesn't have the confidence for it. 

Was Jackson reading the boards here? April should know not to trust Catherine after her manipulating her when she was pregnant. Come on. 

• Love 3

Minnick has got to go. She is awful. I wasn't paying too much attention to the medicine but if it was her decision that cost the boy his life, she might just get fired? Fingers crossed.

The April/Jackson thing felt like a rehash of their breakup when April went in the army- you had a choice, no I didn't it was asked of me, etc etc.

I was surprised that the reveal of Catherine's deception took place offscreen, this tells me that it won't be considered such a big deal and her marriage to Richard will probably survive, unfortunately.

• Love 5

Let's not consider the patients when teaching or punishing someone.  Stephanie may have nicked that artery because she never used the arthroscope on a child before.  And how much did the stress of changing surgeons at the last minute contribute to the patients heart attack or tearing those staples because April was yelling at her.  
Every time I watch this show I am grateful that it is make believe

• Love 15

Also, I've had a really tough night and a 9 year old son. The second it was clear Stephanie was going to operate on him, I was in tears. Because of course they kill the child. Sobbing mess. I shouldn't have watched this tonight. 

• Love 4

Let's not consider the patients when teaching or punishing someone.  Stephanie may have nicked that artery because she never used the arthroscope on a child before.  And how much did the stress of changing surgeons at the last minute contribute to the patients heart attack or tearing those staples because April was yelling at her.  
Every time I watch this show I am grateful that it is make believe

It feels like the hospital is for the doctors' benefit and their "issues" and not the patients'. The shake-up civil war is a stupid storyline. In the end it's the patients who are caught in the middle and suffering.

• Love 9

Otherwise - April's hair looked beautiful. 

I rarely notice such things as hair, makeup, attire, but I definitely noticed April's hair coloring. Looked great to me. 

I like having Minnick around to bring a little pushback on these arrogant doctors. Of course, there will be mistakes. They happen all the time. Her shaking things up really showed some of the characters to be petty. Taking sides, worrying about whose side others were on, turning against April. I expect that out of Maggie, but Richard and Jackson, too? Too bad.

I remember so little about this show (like the so-called "cliffhangers" that I don't remember 6 weeks later), but I do remember that when she first started working at the hospital, April was quite an efficient administrator. I thought she was going to be on an administrative track at that time, but I'm thinking that she might've been struggling academically and that was the thing she did best.  I could easily see why she was chosen to be chief. Of course, as I said, I don't remember shit, but I don't recall her being an incompetent surgeon. 

I like how, while Stephanie had a bad time, Ben sailed through his surgery, pretty much totally on his own. Why doesn't Jo ever seem to do anything other than assist and talk to patients? Actress must be champing at the bit to get more meaty story lines. Right now, she just seems like the observer who stuff happens to, and you have to remind yourself that she's supposed to be a surgeon.

Didn't miss anyone who didn't get any screen time this week, but then again, I never do.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Did the child's death occur because of something Stephanie did or was there a complication that the doctor's were not aware of until they got in there?

I think she tore a vessel with the arthroscope? She couldn't see that it was bleeding. Arizona knew something was wrong and made her turn the camera. By then, it was too late to stop the bleeding.

*Not a dr so someone who is familiar with the medical field, please correct me.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Did the child's death occur because of something Stephanie did or was there a complication that the doctor's were not aware of until they got in there?

My understanding is that Stephanie was performing a laparoscopic surgery (inserting trochars and scopes into the body) and she tore a blood vessel as she did that. And yes, since it was a problem caused by the surgery, it might be considered a medical mistake - the sort of thing that is less likely to happen if the surgeon is well-experienced [but Stephanie wasn't, she was still learning]. The person whose job it was to supervise and teach Stephanie to do that surgery properly is the one most of the responsibility would fall on [and that was Minnick].  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

Was this episode supposed to make us like Minnick? I think I might hate her more now. I knew as soon as her and Stephanie were trolling for a patient and they found a kid, that the kid was not going to make it. She didn't even do her job with Stephanie, from start to not quite finish. Off the hook, what an awful thing to say. Man, did she blow it. And I hate that they're forcing Minnick and Arizona together. Ugh.  

Poor Stephanie. This reminded me of George and his first surgery. I wish Grey and Alex had been in this episode, we could have gotten a passing mention of his surgery...or George's nickname as a result.

I knew it, too. Especially when she told Arizona, that she could observe, but not participate. Yeah, that's it: lord it over the woman whose focus has been treating children, for *years*. I thought that Alex should have been there, but I can't remember if they said he'd get his job back. 

Just depressing. 

Also: I don't like Minnick, but I was on April's side this episode. Were they supposed to have the patient wait until Meredith was allowed back? They would have just found someone else to do it. 

• Love 7

I don't think they are pulling it off perfectly, but I am glad they are shaking things up within the hospital to create tension there.  It feels like they pulled Bailey out of character to get to this point, with Catherine doing a lot of over-the-top mustache-twirling along the way and the 'resistance' acting way too childishly, that makes it all feel a little off.  Also, I think they've tried to pivot way too hard and too quickly this episode on turning around perceptions on Minnick that it had the opposite effect, at least on me. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4

This show is just crazy-making.  April pleading with Richard while several staff listen in was terrible.  Ben having to tell Miranda and Richard that they were acting like children was something that needs to be said almost every episode.  Oh, and Shondra, it is possible for two lesbians to meet and work together and not be interested in each other romantically.  It happens with straight people all the time.  It goes for gay, lesbian, bisexual . . . people also.  Mmkay? 

• Love 21

Did anyone else notice Maggie looked and sounded like a total moron in this episode?  Her hair was worse than Zoey's when Bailey bitched out Derek about the child's hair.  I was laughing at her hair and her horrible facial expressions when she was having her hissy fit at April.  I'm going to have to have a few drinks and watch it again to get the real comic effect.  It was like watching a horror movie that was so bad it was hilarious.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, redfish said:

I didn't like how she was relieved she didn't have to explain to the parents that their child is dead.

I got the impression that she was actually bemoaning the fact that she didn't get to deliver the news.  It's still selfish, but in a way that's clearly meant to make us feel sorry for her (YMMV).

1 hour ago, pennben said:

I don't think they are pulling it off perfectly, but I am glad they are shaking things up within the hospital to create tension there.  It feels like they pulled Bailey out of character to get to this point, with Catherine doing a lot of over-the-top mustache-twirling along the way and the 'resistance' acting way too childishly, that makes it all feel a little off.  Also, I think they've tried to pivot way too hard and too quickly this episode on turning around perceptions on Minnick that it had the opposite effect, at least on me. 

I resented that they were already trying to convert me into liking her.  It does have an opposite effect.  I mean, if they're so insistent on Minnick and Arizona hooking up, I'd prefer it if Minnick was fired and not a hospital employee.  Her whole spiel in the previous episode was about how her failing there would make the two of them hooking up more of a possibility.

Oh, and I had to laugh when it was mentioned that Meredith was a good chief of general because she had "put in the time."  She's been an attending for what?  Four, five years?  And she spent a year jackin' it in San Diego after Derek died, so... lol.

Edited by Starscream
  • Love 2

I think she's pissed about the situation with her mother and her parents divorce, which she sees as lack of loyalty to her father much like April's lack of loyalty to Richard (Maggie's father figure). Maggie thought her parents had the perfect marriage until her mom had an affair and she thought April was one of the leaders of their mutiny against Minnick until she had the chief carrot dangled in front of her.

Edited by flickers
  • Love 2

Minnick's behavior after the surgery is inexcusable. Richard went too far in comforting Stephanie- of course Arizona didn't see the bleed. She wasn't at the operating table! I mentally flash back to Derek's speech to Karev in season 2 when he accidentally killed a patient- he didn't let Alex off the hook but helped him to see it as a part of his training. Richard erred on the side of coddling too much.

It's nice to have an episode where things are happening. For better or worse.

i think to understand why april took the position is to understand her time in the military, and maybe even her faith. She tells Jackson that she felt a responsibility to the hospital to step up, to focus on the bigger picture. There's a reason Owen was the only one who really understood where she was coming from and that's cause of their shared experience being in the military. The military is all about the bigger picture, the mission, the whole instead of the individual. Like it or not that's the way it is. April didn't backstab anyone to get this position, she was asked to step up so she did and if it wasn't her it would be someone else. 

Now do I think this was a calculated move by Catherine and bailey, yes. Cause look who is getting ALL the heat right now. Bailey and Catherine are off the hook cause now April is the "traitor".

I also think there is some truth to what Catherine said about Jackson. Jackson has worked hard all his life but through all of it he had and has the power to say no. I've said it before, April doesn't have the privalages that everyone else save for a few have at the hospital. Maybe she is an opportunist, Its temporary, it doesn't change the "mission" of everyone else, and afterward she'll have something to put in her record when she looks for another job cause oh my god is that a hostile work enviroment and April will never thrive there. 

I feel like this is also playing as a roundabout way to revive japrils issues just in time for their centric episode.

i was glad Ben called both bailey and webber out. This whole thing is based off the residents not being taught enough. And they are not. Stephanie, jo, and Leah should be taking more points in surgeries...like mer and crew did...and they are still holding suctions. It was so apparent when a few episodes ago Jackson gives minnick this whole beautiful speech about making sure this guys face is done right...and Jackson was right...but then he snubs Ben for saying he'd want to do it...that was wrong. 

I felt so bad for Stephanie and she was put in such a bad position by minnick. Her mission isn't wrong, her methods are so far beyond not appropriate. Arizona was right, this was a child, minnick handles sports medicine. She had no business letting Stephanie's first surgery be on a child. And then to completely abandon her hen he died. I loved what arizona said but I feel it was more important to find Stephanie then minnick in that moment. 

Over all this was a frustrating hour because of how childish everyone is acting. Maggie with her total attitude, she can lose me with that, that whole table side eyeing and snubbing April like this is a high school, Webber and bailey arguing during bens first surgery, even april with her "I'm nicer" argument with the patient. 

Finally, people say April should have explained...what does she really owe people who come into it thinking so little of her personally and professionally. April knew it was gonna suck, this isn't her first rodeo with a crowd who thinks she doesn't deserve her position. She walked in trying to do the job she was given and people shat on her for it. No one approached her even just to ask "what the hell april?"

• Love 16