Type keyword(s) to search

Purse & Handbag Chat

• Start Topic

Talk about what you're carrying or what style you like or or any questions about brands, trends, or usefulness. 

Backpack,  messenger and laptop bag talk welcome. 

Right now I really like the floral print structured purses new at Target. It's in navy and a baby pink with floral patterns that are reminiscent of the Nest packaging. 

I have a handbag of holding from ThinkGeek. It has a central padded pocket for my iPad and enough space for my Kindle and assorted junk, along with pockets for cards and checkbook and three zipper pockets and space for a cell phone. Inside are three big pockets (the central padded pocket divides the space). One side has a zip pocket, and the other has three open-top vertical pockets. It has a big outside pocket on each side, each with a zip pocket inside. And outside one of those big pockets are two smaller pockets with snaps that are the right size for a cell phone or keys.

• Love 1

For winter, it's a black Michael Kors Selma bag (for the most part). Not too small, not too large. A Goldilocks bag - just the right size. Not hugely heavy to begin with. For me it's a good size to carry my kit and caboodle. I probably could downsize a bit, but... I think I got it a bit on sale as I had a Holt Renfrew promo card. I switch to another Kors bag (don't know the name) for summer. Also have a Rag and Bone little bag I got on sale, a Rebecca Minkoff bag, an old Gucci bucket bag (my first real designer purchase back when Tom Ford did Gucci), and assorted other bags that I get from Browns (a shoe store in Canada that also carries handbags) or Winners/TJ Maxx/Simons/The Bay.

I also have a blue Michael Kors zippered wallet. My 17 year old Gucci one met its end a few years ago - back then people didn't have tons of credit and loyalty program cards. I bought that one on clearance many years ago and it lasted a long time. I can still use it, but it was not made for today's card-heavy life.

I prefer to spend a little extra on a bag especially if it's for every day. I got burned years ago when I bought a $60 Guess bag. The carrying strap broke within a month - yes I spent $60 on it as that was expensive for me, but then I faced another expense to buy another one. Couldn't take it back as the store went out of business.

I miss Danier leather here - there were usually some nice purses.

I check the sales for bags. I don't own a lot as I prefer shoes.

My work tote bag is an old Estee Lauder bronze goddess orange gift with purchase bag. It's nearing the end of its lifespan. It fits all my stuff. I expect to retire it sometime in the spring.

• Love 1

Oh gosh, purses!! I have so many I haven't used some of them. I tend to switch purses on a daily basis, lately I've used a Coach Nomad in a oxblood/purply color. That, my black Brahmin, and cream Furla are my go to's for the past few months. I'll probably rotate them out in a little bit. I got a  brown Dooney that I adore - I need to use that one again.  

One bag that I didn't spend a whole lot on and I always get compliments on is a coated canvas Oscar de la Renta when they did a specialty line for TArget awhile back. People love that bag. 

On 2/10/2017 at 2:02 PM, 17wheatthins said:

I have 2 of them! The black one and the brownish canvas. I'm thinking of getting the dragon stone red as well!

I have the brown canvas one. It's the only purse I carry. OK, the only one I have that isn't worn out. I only carry one purse at a time (I mean I don't switch for different outfits or whatever) because I'll forget to move things, and then I won't have what I need.

I have considered getting the backpack of holding, not for daily use, but for when I need a backpack, like at the library used book sale.

I love cross bodies!  I recently purchased a bag from a local Toronto-based line called uppdoo at an artisan show.  Some of their bags consist of a shell and an inner, interchangeable bag (the inner bag can also double as a cosmetics bag if your products don't spill - it's fabric, after all), which I love.  If you have two or more inner layers, you basically have two bags in one.  It's kind of like interchangeable heels (I have a few Tanya Heath shoes/heels, but there are other brands too).  I also carry satchels, totes and "shoppers."  I rarely use clutches as I need to fit my "life" in there.  If it doesn't fit my phone, keys, at least one lipstick and my tiny wallet, then it's a no-go.  And these clutches have to double as cross bodies - especially if I'm going to a reception.   

I don't change out bags as a general rule, and I tend to wear my bags until they wear out.  I have two kids (currently two and three years old), so I have been using diaper bags as purses for the past couple of years.  I once read on a mommy message board that it is easier to carry a diaper bag as the only bag (instead of diaper bag AND purse) and to have essentials (wallet items, cell phone, keys) in a wristlet that you can take out and wear when without kids.  I happened to already have a wristlet that was given as a gift, but I am never without kids, so I don't even bother with it. 

My current purses are: 

Kate Spade Classic Nylon Stevie diaper bag in black.  It's lightweight, works for all seasons (from a fashion perspective) and has a lot of interior pockets allowing me to stay organized and find things efficiently.  

The one problem I had with this bag is that, in the winter, it would not stay on my shoulder while I'm wearing winter outerwear and wrangling two small children.  

So my other bag is Okkatots Shoulder diaper bag in black.  Also lightweight with lots of internal pockets.  The longer handle helps it stay on my shoulder.  It will hold my laptop, so it might make a good work bag (although there is not extra padding to protect technology).

Whenever I want to ditch the purse for an outing where it doesn't make sense to have a purse, I use the Everest Outdoor Waist Pack with Bottle Holders.  Plenty of zippable compartments for dipes, wipes, wallet, keys and cellphone, and also bottle pockets for beverages.

Edited by Scatterbrained
On 2/10/2017 at 5:41 AM, MargeGunderson said:

I have a bad Orla Kiely habit. I just ordered this one as a present to myself for getting a surprisingly good review at work. I'd love to get one of the leather bags but they are so expensive and I'm hard on bags so it doesn't seem worth it.

That's the reason I prefer leather bags. They last, can take some abuse and still be repaired. The few fabric and fiber bags I have/had seem to have developed wear spots earlier.

• Love 2

Does anyone have a rec for not to expensive (sub $250) everyday bag in either black or tan that can hold an iPad mini, a iPhone 7+ an A5 notebook some pens, touch up make up (powder, whatever I'm wearing on my lips, blotting paper), some meds (ventolin and pulmicort puffers, Tylenol) and a fairly large purse but not much more. I have a tendency to throw every piece of crap under the sun into my bags if they are too big and I have degenerative disc disease so that is not the worlds best idea.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jac said:

Does anyone have a rec for not to expensive (sub $250) everyday bag in either black or tan that can hold an iPad mini, a iPhone 7+ an A5 notebook some pens, touch up make up (powder, whatever I'm wearing on my lips, blotting paper), some meds (ventolin and pulmicort puffers, Tylenol) and a fairly large purse but not much more. I have a tendency to throw every piece of crap under the sun into my bags if they are too big and I have degenerative disc disease so that is not the worlds best idea.

I have a Dooney & Bourke leather bag that's nice for this. I went on their website and I think it the Sloane bag I have (larger size) but they have a small that might work for you. If I can remember when I get home I'll try to take a pic of the one I have. The leather is very nice, durable, and I've worn it with everything. Additionally I got it at the dooney outlet in Orlando do it was a little less than regular. 

4 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

My Michael Kors jetset strap is tearing. No fixing for it - having to look for another bag. All it needs is one replacement strap. Which would probably cost a lot of money.

Check with a shoe repair shop. They repair anything made of leather. 

• Love 1

Girlydiva53, I checked one already (I've had some shoes fixed there). Until it breaks, it's not fixable. When it breaks, I'd probably have to shorten both straps quite a bit and have holes punched in. 

• Love 1
On 7/6/2017 at 0:25 PM, Jac said:

I'm looking for the exact same thing! Hope we find it! I have had no luck yet. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I use an Okkatots shoulder diaper bag and I think it fits your criteria.  I purchased mine for $35 from the Okkatots website, but it is not on their website right now.  I've seen it for $50 at other websites.  It is designed to have a "Mom stuff side" and a "baby stuff side".  I love all the pockets.  It even has a pen pocket!  :)

Here is is a pic I could find the interior:Okkatots diaper bags (you may have to scroll down a bit)

Edited by Scatterbrained
  • Love 2

I saw a tote that would work for you at the Coach outlet store the other day. Don't know if you have a Coach outlet near you, but it would be worth it even with a bit of a drive. It was a black leather tote but the really nice thing is that it had padding on the straps so they wouldn't cut in to your shoulder if your bag gets too heavy. It was about $100 which is a realllly good price on a Coach tote.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

There's one listing on eBay with that bag, but it's still costly!

Thanks.  It's  a little better, but, I just realized that it has a zipper.  I don't care for zippers.  I thought it just closed at the top slightly with a snap.  Oh well, I'll have to think about it.  I hate to pay that much when it has a zipper that I do not like. Hmmmmm.......I really like the look though. 

OH MY...I just saw this one that I like even better.  Better price too.  Still has the zipper though.  I might just bite the bullet on this. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-Michael-Kors-Pale-Gold-Selma-Medium-Messenger-Leather-Crossbody-MSRP-228/322669452812?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D79948f5a28e947a18de2983f983b93be%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D263183908763&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

I LOVE some of the styles by Patricia Nash. https://patricianashdesigns.com/women/handbags  though some are a little over-the-top for me. 

I finally treated myself when Macy's had a 30% off sale.   I don't switch bags, I use the same one every day.  This might not be everyone's taste, but it suits me.

https://patricianashdesigns.com/women/handbags/paris-large-satchel-7069

p34519_lrgparis_florence_0001_front_0000_layer_0.jpg.d0bf208b61cb6068da245986662c4f85.jpg

Edited by backformore
12 minutes ago, voiceover said:

I didn't know where else to look -- will check celebrity deaths? Think there's a thread there.

Kate Spade.  I can't believe it.  

Very sad that she was in a place that led her to take her own life. Apparently, they have a 13-year-old daughter. Wish the family well.

• Love 2
(edited)

While it's sad that she took her own life. I do find suicide an extremely selfish act except when someone is terminally ill or having to make a terrible choice like the 9.11 jumpers.

Valentine-Spade's selfishness is especially cruel because she just screwed up the rest of her young 13 year old daughter's life causing her a lifetime of pain.

Edited by Giselle
Spell check error
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Giselle said:

While it's sad that she took her own life. I do find suicide an extremely selfish act except when someone is terminally ill or having to make a terrible choice like the 9.11 jumpers.

Valentine-Spade's selfishness is especially cruel because she just screwed up the rest of her young 13 year old daughter's life causing her a life time of pain.

Very sad.  I know relatives of people who have taken their own lives.  It is devastating.  They are never the same, so I do find it the ultimate selfish act.

• Love 1

Giselle, have you ever been in a place where you felt everyone in your life would be better off without you???  You have no right to judge.

• Love 3

This may not be the place for a whole debate, but I both feel greatly for her surviving family, most of all for her daughter of course, and think it is helpful to remember that for those who die of suicide the true cause of death is mental illness (depression and other). While the kind of feelings Quof mentions seem mind-boggling to those of us on the outside, people suffering through depression (as Andy Spade said publicly after her death was true of his wife) often can't see outside its grip, even if receiving mental health care. We as a society are still so much more judgmental about diseases of mental health than physical.

• Love 5
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:43 PM, Quof said:

Giselle, have you ever been in a place where you felt everyone in your life would be better off without you???  You have no right to judge.

Just seeing this.

No I have never felt that way but  I have known people in my circle who have taken their lives due to depression I felt then and still feel now that it is find it a sad, desperate act that is very selfish. I've seen the devastation and aftermath of family and friends that have to continue to live with that loss.  I am entitled to my opinion as are you.

Have a great day!

• Love 2

On a more cheerful note here is my latest bag. After a few annoying months of using a cotton reusable shopping bag as my "purse" and trying to find a decent secondhand bag to no avail, I got this bag at Target last week. I got it because it is made of a thick canvas-like material, similar to the Jansport bag material, so hopefully it will last for a while, but it also isn't really that rough so it shouldn't pill my clothes. I got an LL Bean Boat & Tote to use as my purse once and it pilled a bunch of my clothes which really sucked.

1579525739_ScreenShot2019-03-17at7_02_36PM.png.4896ff6cfa2a678ecf7ddf56ad4bd8c9.png

What do you guys carry in your bag? Here is what I generally have in my bag:

*front pocket: Phone and wallet with keyring (wallet is pictured which is from an Etsy store called Lindock). The front pocket has an open shallow pocket so I can put my wallet upright in there and access my wallet contents without actually having to take it out of the bag.

il_794xN.1707167977_e9x1.thumb.jpg.2099cea73681c9bd9bd6c0d5d4b8f651.jpg

*back pocket:

*Hydro Flask 16oz stainless steel coffee mug -- I use this every day instead of single-use bottles or mugs and I also use it every day at home

*ChicoBag collapsible reusable shopping bag -- I also use this all the time instead of single-use shopping bags and it can also be used to carry additional items that won't fit in the bag

*reusable cloth pad(s) in holder

*Garden of Life or NuGo plant-based protein bar as an emergency snack

*Ray-Ban prescription sunglasses in case

*"walking pharmacy" bag (pictured below, also from Lindock) with: rosewood mini comb from Dixie Cowboy Etsy store, whatever tinted lip balm I'm wearing, cotton handkerchief, two bandages, Dental Lace refillable and compostable floss, metal pill bottle with Velamints (used as cough drops because I hate actual cough drops) and Spry natural base xylitol gum, another metal pill bottle with ibuprofen and digestive medicine.

il_794xN.1844813775_9xx3.thumb.jpg.8a0698486f6186b370d9b2aae71e96f6.jpg

• Love 1

I admire your work to be zero waste and dimish your environmental foot print and damage @BuyMoreAndSave

I have wanted a vegan version of the Celine micro luggage bag for a long time. I use a nylon primary color stripped backpack w a stupid panda rubber charm for now. BUT but that Celine bag in a cruelty free replica seems like a no branier... but am fine rocking something doofus AF. 🤓 

• Love 1

I want more quality vegan bags! I'm also concerned about the safety of some of them. The last one I bought had a warning that it had material known to cause cancer and reproductive harm in the state of California. 

• Love 1