Type keyword(s) to search

The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion)

• Start Topic

Everything by Pentatonix, but they got a Grammy nom today for this:

Do we really want to count an outright cover (with it's own original video rather than something laid over a previous one) as a Redub though? Also, it's a remix as well, of several songs into one.

• Love 1

I have two. For those that remember 1985, Live Aid was a worldwide event. Nothing like it before and most people say Queen's performance with Freddy doing what he did best was the highlight of the day. 

Then several years later after the 9/11 attacks, this concert was performed for a crowd of police and firefighters who lost comrades, friends, witnessed unspeakable trauma and performed heroic deeds just days before at the Twin Towers. David Bowie opens up the show, sitting cross-legged, playing his omnichord singing a beautifully minimal rendition of the Simon & Garfunkle classic America. Bowie's been a New Yorker for several decades and I see the emotion in his face.

Also, from what I heard, Bowie was sick with the flu, but sucked it up to give this performance. 

Edited by aurora296
  • Love 2
So, Scott Stapp of Creed claims he is "penniless". While it is a sad situation, well...he can thank his drug habit for helping to suck up some of his earnings. Sigh. But I've read the remaining members of Creed don't want a reunion. Maybe he can do solo work if he's cleaned up his act?

I don't want to be a dick, but it's weird when musicians say they're broke as if they can't still do what made them money to begin with. There's something strangely comforting about living below your means. Buy a small house back home, get a Camry, and sock away the rest of your money and you'll never have to worry about being broke. Don't start a faberge egg collection and get a coke habit and then complain that you're broke because duh.

• Love 2

That kind of thinking is contrary to the delusional beliefs of rock stars - can Creed be considered rock stars? You'd be kicked out of the R S Club for perverse thinking!

If your Strapp, you hope to negotiate this into some VH1 reality rehab program.

Of course, it's sound practical advice in general.

You're right that isn't the "rock star" way, but there have been enough Behind the Music programs for Scott Stapp to know that eventually the money runs out, the fans grow up/stop caring, and then you'll have to have something to fall back on. I'd rather have a modest life than be in a magazine talking about how I'm begging my fans for money so my kids aren't starving. That's waaaay more embarrassing than having a comfortably middle-class background.

I have a question that I need some women to help me out on. I don't normally judge dudes, but I'm curious if women find Justin Timberlake and Adam Levine sexy or is that something Hollywood is telling us about them. With Justin, I don't know, the dude looks kind of hard in the face. I don't mean rugged, but just a little worn out. It's like he's hitting that wall and it's not going too well. I think he looks older when he shaves, but his beard looks scraggly and a little unkempt. He still has a head full of hair and he's tall and on the slimmer side, plus he has the past-hotness thing working for him (like, chicks used to think he was cute back in 2002 so some of them are still operating under the idea that he looks just as good as he did when he was 21), but JT is starting to look old. Not a bad looking dude if you saw him at your high school reunion, but OMG TEH HOTNESS? I don't get it.

Adam Levine is kind of the same way. Dude is like a buck fifty soaking wet and he stares at the camera with a sort of dead-eyed eye-fucking thing that I guess is supposed to be sexy but...really? I never have gotten why chicks find Adam Levine sexy. Is he just best looking member of Maroon 5 so thus he's sexy? I can understand chicks like the slender guy with the tattoos thing because that's how a lot of rock stars look, but Adam Levine doesn't seem to have any of that edge. He seems like a pretty boy who sings in a wimpy falsetto voice most of the time. Not to say I don't usually enjoy Maroon 5's output because they usually come up with some catchy songs, but I don't get the panty-poofing thing.

I never found Justin Timberlake remotely attractive or sexy. 

It's different with Adam Levine though.  Something about him in those torn jeans......those hard thighs.....yeah, it's the body that makes him sexy to me. 

I never found Justin Timberlake remotely attractive or sexy.

It's different with Adam Levine though.  Something about him in those torn jeans......those hard thighs.....yeah, it's the body that makes him sexy to me.

Co-sign. It goes back to, for me, the fact that there is a difference between being "good-looking" and "sexy".  Many of my friends find JT sexy, but I don't. And I don't particularly find him that good-looking (he's just not my type).  But as for Adam Levine... while I wouldn't call him conventionally "good-looking", his attitude and the way he moves make him very sexy to me. 

• Love 1

He's more tatted up than I would like, but Adam Levine has always been sexy to me.

As for JT...eh. He just feels fake. There's nothing remotely genuine to him. My friend said that he thinks JT is gay, which might be why he seems so off to me.

Edited by methodwriter85

I'm curious if women find Justin Timberlake and Adam Levine sexy

I'm way too old for JT, but he would never have been my cuppa.  Adam Levine would have also fell out of my attractive spectrum, but I can appreciate why some girls/women might find him appealing.  I'd say his stock has dropped a lot since being on The Voice - he comes off as pretty douche.

• Love 1
As for JT...eh. He just feels fake. There's nothing remotely genuine to him. My friend said that he thinks JT is gay, which might be why he seems so off to me.

Good point. I've always thought that too. I think he tries to portray himself as a low-key goofball, but I have the feeling Justin's moody and a bit cold, full of himself, and probably a little difficult to work with. He seems like a know-it-all mama's boy type. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I've always thought he seemed fake. And that doesn't take into account the shameless co-opting of black music that he does.

• Love 1

I have the feeling Justin's moody and a bit cold, full of himself, and probably a little difficult to work with. He seems like a know-it-all mama's boy type. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I've always thought he seemed fake.

I've always thought he seemed like a big baby with too much power who thinks too much of himself. In other words, he's the original Justin Bieber. I remember when that whole thing with Janet Jackson's nipple happened & he threw her under the bus implying that it was all planned & nobody told him. He seemed like such a jerk when he talked about it.

I am not a big Tom Petty fan, so I heard "Won't Back Down" only a couple of weeks ago. Or maybe I had heard it before and just forgot it. In any case, when I heard it on the radio, my first thought was that Sam Smith ripped off that song big time. And many actual Tom Petty fans feel the same way. Has Sam Smith talked about paying homage in interviews or anything?

This is from awhile ago, but quoting it to say that back in October (but only being released this week), Sam Smith settled with Tom Petty to give him writing credit for Stay With Me.  Sam Smith claimed he never heard Won't Back Down and that the similarity was "unintentional", but damn, that would have to be the biggest coincidence in the world.  

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 3

Thank goodness for that friend that you can call up or text music questions to.

I heard a Steve Winwood song the other day but I always think of him as Stevie Winwood and I have no idea why.  Asked my friend last night and he explained that everyone used to know him as Stevie since he started playing with the Spencer Davis Group at 14 and then on to Traffic & (forming) Blind Faith at 21.

So I was correctly remembering, but just not the why.

I totally think the JJ/JT thing was planned based on publicity from JJ's own people. They clamped up real quick. Her people know how to shut up when necessary (see her 1st marriage). That's not to say JT wasn't wrong in how he handled it. I didn't follow that situation since I found the whole thing, the thing being the reaction, dumb.

Can't help on the JT and AL sexiness. I've never found them sexy. JT, cute, hot at some point I'm sure. I get why some women would though. With singers/muscians, it's their look, talent, look as in clothes, and/or swagger. Sometimes you can look past the physical if the rest works for you.

Edited by nicepebbles

nutjob - based on your list of concerts, I thought you might know this.  Anyone else who knows, please help me out.

Foo Fighter's Something from Nothing uses a riff that is essentially from Ronnie James Dios Holy Diver.  I know that riff, but from a different song around the same period as Holy Diver but for the life of me can't recall which song or band.  All I can hear is the instrumental in my head, but I can't get pull up any words.  I never listened to much metal, but it was something that was played regular on the station I listened to which was hard & classic rock.

This has been making me batty for days!

JT - from the Nsync days I thought he was cute, but always preferred JC (both singing and looks wise).  Today, he's okay but I don't find him attractive.

Adam - he's a little too skinny for my taste, but I do think he is hot.  I like his face.

Ed Sheeran - I love his music and voice, but do not find him attractive at all and I have a soft spot for gingers.

There's really no one in music right now that I'm crushing on.

I literally witnessed people confusing the song "Through the Fire" (I heard a Helene Fischer cover, but the original is by Chaka Khan) for "Let it Go" (I was with a group of people who had very recently seen Frozen before hearing that song.) I listened to both and I wouldn't go that far, but phrases "Through the Fire" and "Let it Go" do sound almost spot on. I doubt it was intentional though. The rest of the songs sound different enough from each other.

There is apparently some Kanye West song that samples "Through the Fire." Did he...have her blessing to sample it, or was that song actually plagarized?

• Love 1

I literally witnessed people confusing the song "Through the Fire" (I heard a Helene Fischer cover, but the original is by Chaka Khan) for "Let it Go" (I was with a group of people who had very recently seen Frozen before hearing that song.) I listened to both and I wouldn't go that far, but phrases "Through the Fire" and "Let it Go" do sound almost spot on. I doubt it was intentional though. The rest of the songs sound different enough from each other.

There is apparently some Kanye West song that samples "Through the Fire." Did he...have her blessing to sample it, or was that song actually plagarized?

That's his song "Through the Wire", and he did give proper credit - the writing credit on the song includes the three writers of "Through the Fire".

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

I don't want to be a dick, but it's weird when musicians say they're broke as if they can't still do what made them money to begin with.

You're not!  You brought up a good point.  Although in some cases, they can't go back to singing/performing because they either burned too many bridges (professionally as well as personally to their fans), they're no longer relevant, or they've destroyed their talent via drugs or alcohol.  I remember Whitney Houston's voice coach (who was working with her in the months prior to her death) remarked that her voice was just "gone".  Her years of abuse took its toll and there just wasn't any coming back from that. 

Poor Whitney.  Before she died she was on tour somewhere in Europe, trying to revive her career.  There's a youtube film of her singing on stage and she hit what I would call the worst note I had ever heard in my life.  She just lost it.  It was so sad.    

Poor Whitney.  Before she died she was on tour somewhere in Europe, trying to revive her career.  There's a youtube film of her singing on stage and she hit what I would call the worst note I had ever heard in my life.  She just lost it.  It was so sad.    

Have you heard Mariah Carey lately? She can't even lip synch to her own music anymore.

This has to be the right place to ask....Does anyone know what the meaning of Rihanna, Kanye, and Paul McCartney's new song is?

I keep hearing it and wondering what kind of situation results in someone being either four or five seconds from "wilding" (which seems to be defined roughly as starting a riot) but at the same time counting down the days until Friday while also trying to make it home (on some kind of multi-day hitchhiking ordeal?)

I may be overthinking this.

• Love 1
I'm watching an interview with Katy Perry on Access Hollywood about her Super Bowl half time show, and she is just ridiculously cute.  I love her personality.  And she is gorgeous, of course.

Katy Perry seems kind of fake to me. And I don't mean that she's not always "on" but I think she's probably kind of an asshole. I think some of her songs are okay, but yeah. I've never been a fan of her personality. Whenever chicks are all Disney in front of the cameras I tend to think they're probably bitches behind the scene (i.e. Rosie O'Donnell, Rachel Ray).

Yeah, Whitney's decline was sad. But you know, I think a big reason why she lost it is because she never truly kicked the habit. She was working with a vocal coach, and I think remember him saying that he didn't feel she was ready, vocally, to start performing and touring yet, but her people were pushing her out there because she needed the money. But Whitney was still using and I bet people around her knew it even if the media was trying to suggest she was on the upswing and on her way to a comeback.

I honestly don't know what Mariah's problem is. I don't know if she just can't sing anymore, if she's trying too hard to force a style that doesn't suit her, or what, but I can't even say I like Mariah's voice anymore. I think part of Mariah's problem is she wants to sound sexy instead of good. And on stage she's always in these tight ass cinched up dresses and heels and she looks like she's posing the entire time. I don't know. Maybe she doesn't take enough care of her voice.

BTW, last week they played a rerun of SNL from 1990 when Mariah had first come out and...like night and day. She had a mop of curly brown hair, thin as a rail, simple clothes, but she sounded great. She did "Vision of Love" and "Vanishing". She hadn't performed a lot live at that point, so she was still wrangling her nerves, but I'm like, that's the Mariah Carey we all know and love and want to remember. Not this pre-menopausal hoochie who dresses like a Disney princess and minces around the stage looking like she has to take a shit while hitting weird notes nobody recognizes as music.

Edited by 27bored
I think part of Mariah's problem is she wants to sound sexy instead of good.

Yes.  She needs to cut out all the breathy crap because she certainly has the chops to just, you know, sing.

And on stage she's always in these tight ass cinched up dresses and heels and she looks like she's posing the entire time.

I had to laugh at this because, I swear, she looks like she can't breathe, much less sing.  She's trying waaaaay too hard to look sexy when she doesn't have to try.  If she just wore sensible (i.e., comfortable), yet still glamorous clothes and performed more naturally instead of the posing, she would come off much better.  She'd probably feel better too.

OK, finally heard the song that the riff from Something from Nothing reminds me of - Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song.  In listening to it, it is closer to Holy Diver but it triggers Immigrant Song in my head.

Not a Zep fan - too much forced exposure  by an older brother in my formative years - so maybe I can overwrite this with Holy Diver now.  And since Immigrant Song was early 70s, I totally got the time wrong.  In my own defense, the local rock station still had Zep in strong rotation during the early 80s.  This was the same radio station that decided on the Friday night before Stones tickets went on sale Sunday AM to play nothing but Stones.  Ahh...the good ol' days...

So thanks everyone for trying to help me from going completely batty!

• Love 1

My tastes are all over the place. I grew up in the 60's/70's on suburban Long Island so I grew up mostly listening to what is now known as classic rock as well as the Top 40 of the day. Top 40 radio back then was all different kinds of genres, not segregated like today. O'Jays played side by side with Elton John, for instance.

Growing up in a Hispanic household also had me loving salsa/merengue.

Fave acts ever include The Pretenders, Beatles, Hall and Oates, O'Jays, Marvin Gaye, Fleetwood Mac, Ronstadt, etc 

I've been pretty much disillusioned with the state of music for the past 15 years or so. I found myself listening to a lot of country music. I was attracted to the lyrics. I always liked country and Johnny Cash is probably my favorite artist, period.

I'm kind of shying away from the pop Country of today but I do have a fondness for Kenny Chesney. But while I love Miranda Lambert and Dierks Bentley, I really go for artists like Dwight Yoakam, Marty Stuart, Emmylou Harris and of course old school Cash, Buck Owens, Waylon and even Hank Williams (Sr) 

But what really spins my head is Sinatra. I love the guy. He was special and every song is an adventure with him. Love the Swingin' 60's Frank most of all. His crooning era stuff was also beautiful, in no small part due to the songwriters of the day like Porter, Gershwins, Berlin, Sammy Cahn, etc. I love a good lyric and those folks had them in spades.

I love a woman who can sing and for me I will listen to Gladys Knight over Whitney, Mariah, Miss Ross and even Aretha (she's a close 2nd to my girl Gladys.

Justin vs Adam? No contest...JT. You could see his talent back in the NSync days. He has presence and he appreciates all music. Way sexier than Adam. I actually think AL/M5 sold out. When Maroon 5 came on the scene they were a very soulful, melodic band. But they have sort of become this pop music juggernaut that is all bells and whistles. Now, I will concede that Moves Like Jagger is one of my favorite songs. I do love it. But I find them boring, now.

I think Mariah and Whitney could have done so much more than what they did during their hay days. It's like they tried too hard to be relevant to the times. They could have become real song stylists. They succumbed to the theatricality of singing....big voice, high notes, vocal gymnastics. I'm not saying they weren't/aren't gifted singers, just that they could have been more. Maybe I just like voices like Gladys and Barbra, women who just have a certain style, a uniqueness. I'll throw in Ella, Dinah Washington and Sara Vaughan.

Someone like Luther Vandross had something special in his voice...he could move you with just the way he breathed in a certain song. I never felt that with Whitney or Mariah.

• Love 1