Type keyword(s) to search

The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion)

• Start Topic

What songs make you want to gouge your own eardrums out?

They just played this song at Panera and it definitely has to be up there with my least favorite songs ever. Every time I hear this song I'm like "OMG! SHUT THE F@$K UP!" Why did anyone think those sustained notes would be anything besides annoying? Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should.

2 hours ago, outofbounds said:

or that damn Beatles Christmas song (Siiiimply haaaving a wonderful Christmas time)

aaaaand it's stuck in my head. A lot of the songs I hate are Christmas songs too. I don't even think Feliz Navidad is that bad by Christmas song standards. My least favorite Christmas songs are "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" (or really anything sung by children), "Last Christmas" (controversy!), "All I Want For Christmas Is You" (also controversy!), "Santa Baby" (eww) "Baby It's Cold Outside" (not only because it's creepy by today's standards but it's also just annoying) and "Carol of the Bells" (I mean it's not BAD but, like...why is this true crime soundtrack music a Christmas song?)

• LOL 1
19 minutes ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

"All I Want For Christmas Is You" (also controversy!)

I'm not familiar with whatever controversy surrounds this song, but my reason for getting twitchy when I hear this song is that when I was in sixth grade, my art teacher played this song every. single. day., from the time we started back at school after Thanksgiving break to the last day before Christmas break. So now anytime I hear it all I can think of is that time period and just...yeah. 

"Santa Baby" (eww) 

And this one I remember getting played a lot one year when I was working at the bookstore in our mall here in town. 

11 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I'm not familiar with whatever controversy surrounds this song, but my reason for getting twitchy when I hear this song is that when I was in sixth grade, my art teacher played this song every. single. day., from the time we started back at school after Thanksgiving break to the last day before Christmas break. So now anytime I hear it all I can think of is that time period and just...yeah. 

And this one I remember getting played a lot one year when I was working at the bookstore in our mall here in town. 

I meant it's controversial to hate that song because so many people love Mariah Carey (and the same with Last Christmas and George Michael). I think I also hate those songs mainly because they are overplayed.

• Love 2

Ahhh, okay, gotcha :). I was wondering if there was some other type of controversy I hadn't heard about or something, LOL. 

But yeah, I know what you mean-my mom and sister like "All I Want for Christmas", and it's been a source of debate among us because of my reaction to the song :p. "Last Christmas" I don't mind, 'cause I haven't heard that one quite as often (or at least, it's played just enough to where I don't get burned out on it), but I can get where others would. Especially since it seems like everyone and their mother covers that song at some point. 

1 hour ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

"All I Want For Christmas Is You"

I am assuming you mean the Mariah Carey version, but there are Christmas songs with the exact same name by two other groups: Foghat and Vince Vance and the Valiants!

• Useful 2
On 7/16/2019 at 2:37 PM, 27bored said:

Hope Old Town Road does make history. I kind of love the wrongness of that happening. Lil Nas X isn’t really that compelling on a talent level. He’s got two things working against him in hip-hop: he’s gay and he’s from the new school of SoundCloud rap that’s moreso AutoTuned singing that rapping.  Like a Travis Scott knock-off. Plus, he came in on a scandal. 

But then he teamed with Billy Ray Cyrus, a past-his-prime country singer who hasn’t had a hit of his own in over twenty years.

And together these two score a cross-platform hit that is not only perfection in both of their respective genres, but makes history. 

I’m excited for both of them. Especially if they take down Despacito. I never once tried to listen to that song but it was everywhere. Just that 1-800 song with Logic, Alessia Cara, and Khalid and Girls Like You by Maroon 5 and Cardi B.

Speaking of whom, how do you guys feel about Ed Sheeran releasing the remix of “Shape of You” with Camila Cabello and Cardi B? [checks notes] Oh, sorry. I meant “South of the Border”? The triple entendre being that he’s singing about sex, collaborating with two women of Caribbean heritage (Cuba and Dominican Republic), and going on vacation. Get it? It’s good, huh? Huh?

Yeah, no. That whole Frodo Baggins-meets-Jason Mraz, Hi-I’m-A-Busker-With-Unkempt-Hair-And-Dope-Rhymes-For-A-White-Guy thing is wearing suuuper thin. You don’t sound like a lover man; you sound like you’re proposing to take a girl out to lunch.

And don't forget Trent Reznor! (the beat for OTR was from a NIN song) I think this whole thing is hilarious. What simulation are we in that a Soundcloud rapper, the Achy Breaky Heart guy, and Trent Reznor created one of the smash hits of the decade? We have to break into Area 51 and find out why this is happening. (I think Old Town Road is a genuinely great song though and I wish Lil Nas X all the best in smashing the records.)

Ed Sheeran is repulsive and talentless, and always has been. I never understood why he became so popular or why his songs have to constantly be played everywhere.

(edited)
On 7/28/2019 at 8:56 PM, outofbounds said:

Feliz Navidad or that damn Beatles Christmas song (Siiiimply haaaving a wonderful Christmas time) will make me leave any store they are playing in around the holidays.

Minor nitpick, but "Wonderful Christmastime" is actually by Paul McCartney as a solo artist, not the Beatles.

So you only have to blame 1/4th of the band for that one. 😉 

(Personally, I love it, but whatever.)

For me, Paul Anka's "(You're) Having My Baby" is single-handedly the greatest argument for women wanting to get their tubes tied ever. So outdated and gross, even when it was released in 1974 (although it was, in fact, a number one hit). And for a year that is often considered to be the worst year for pop music in US history, it's pretty damn significant that every music critic I've ever seen either comment on or rank that year's hits all agree that this is, by far, the year's worst hit song. It's just THAT bad. And sexist (my GOD, is it sexist!). And too damn slow. Good riddance, and fuck this song to hell, forever and ever, Amen. BARF. (And to think that the guy who wrote the lyrics to "My Way" wrote this, too. WTF.)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 7
(edited)

Also: For those of you who are interested, music journalist Tom Briehan of the music website Stereogum has a ongoing series called the Number Ones, where every week he talks about every song that has ever hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in America (starting in 1958, the beginning of the modern era for the charts). He usually posts a new article every Friday, but he was on vacation this past week, so he just posted the newest song today. He's currently up to the year 1975:

And here's his delightful skewing of "(You're) Having My Baby." 🙂

https://www.stereogum.com/2045758/the-number-ones-paul-ankas-youre-having-my-baby-feat-odia-coates/franchises/the-number-ones/

And finally, here's the archive of the entire series. "Listen to What the Man Said" by Wings is the newest song being covered today, while "Love Will Keep Us Together" by the Captain and Tennille was covered the week before he went on vacation. This link takes you back from there. 🙂 

https://www.stereogum.com/category/franchises/the-number-ones/

If y'all are interested, I'd be happy to post each new article every week here. It will be fun! 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

Way to go! Three cheers for Old Town Road!🥳

Over/under on how long it takes for someone to come out and criticize the song? Like, someone who hasn’t already said anything.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

"Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree"

It bothers me that  there is decidedly no "rockin'" going on in this song (by today's standards).  Someone should do a rock version of this, if they haven't already. 

I don't speak Spanish, but this, in my opinion, is the best version of (Mariah Carey's) "All I Want for Christmas Is You":

12 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Ed Sheeran is repulsive and talentless, and always has been. I never understood why he became so popular or why his songs have to constantly be played everywhere.

I don't understand his success.  In my opinion, his music ranges from blah to bad, and he has no sex appeal.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, 27bored said:

Over/under on how long it takes for someone to come out and criticize the song? Like, someone who hasn’t already said anything.

I think with the song being as popular and catchy as it is, and having a feel-good underdog story with Lil Nas X who seems to be nothing but kind and appreciative, and the feel-good uniting of very different branches of music (I think that's part of why the song is so popular, because it unites three different genres so there is something for everyone), and the fact that the song doesn't take itself seriously and a lot of the lyrics are kind of making fun of itself, that it would be difficult to effectively criticize it at this point and not be seen as a grumpy person.

2 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I don't understand his success.  In my opinion, his music ranges from blah to bad, and he has no sex appeal.

I don't even want to think of him and "sex appeal" in the same sentence. And I agree -- his music is so boring! That "Perfect" song they play all the time in places like Dunkin' Donuts -- that song is the most basic thing I've ever heard in my life and it is baffling how it got so popular. Also with that "South of the Border" song mentioned earlier -- I wonder what Ed Sheeran's wife thinks of him making songs about sleeping with women who are clearly not her.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, 27bored said:

At this point, the only real criticism I've seen is from bitter stans of other artists who Lil Nas X has consistently held off from the top spot (ESPECIALLY Swifties, since he kept two of Taylor's songs from reaching the top--but he did the same to two of Shawn Mendes' songs too, so), and Lambs (Mariah Carey's stans) who are upset to see her record with "One Sweet Day" officially broken (even though "Despacito" tied it two years ago). 

I am genuinely curious to see which song will dethrone it, and when--20 weeks at the top is not a crazy possibility at all now for OTR. The current number two song, "Bad Guy" by Billie Eilish, probably lost its chance to go to number one when the remix with Justin Bieber failed to topple OTR, so I really have no idea! I suppose Taylor Swift's as yet to be released-third single is always a possibility, given that her album Lover will be out on August 23rd, but her last two singles fell behind OTR (and they are probably the most noticeable casualties of all), so that's certainly not guaranteed by any means.

I've heard that Senorita by Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello might still have a shot, along with Lizzo's "Truth Hurts." I guess we'll have to wait and see now! 

Edited by UYI
7 hours ago, 27bored said:

I don't care for the song, but I'll give it this: I like it better than the other songs that set this record in the past 40+ years, dating back to the gawdawful "You Light Up My Life" in 1977.

[FTR: Percy Faith's "Theme from A Summer Place" had the record before that (eventually tied by "Hey Jude", which is...fine?, but since it didn't set the record it doesn't count), and although I know I've heard it, it's left no impression on me, so no comment on that one.]

• Love 1
12 hours ago, 27bored said:

Aww, that was a very nice thing to say from Mariah. That’s how you show class. 

I saw an interview with Lil Nas X on TMZ & they asked him what he was going to buy with all his new money & he said "I may buy Mariah Carey some roses and send them to her because I love her."

• Love 7

I guess in an attempt to make up for his recent vacation, in addition to the article he posted on Monday, Tom Breihan posted not one, not two, not three, but FOUR more entries for Number Ones series! As I said before the other day, we are still working on the year 1975:

Lil Nas X extends his record-breaking number one streak to 18 weeks. At this point, the question is how long he'll be able to break his OWN record.

That said, I'd watch out for Ariana Grande and how her single "Boyfriend" charts next week. Taylor Swift couldn't bring him down (twice!), but Ariana could actually be capable of doing it. We shall see. 

The next entry in Tom Breihan's Number One series is one of my very favorite songs, by one of the all time great legends of country . He died nearly two years ago this month, can you believe that much time has passed? This is one of the few songs to reach number one on both the Hot Country Songs chart and the Billboard Hot 100 chart, which it did in 1975.

Also, I hope you guys are enjoying this! I plan on posting new entries each time they're up; I really haven't  seen any reaction to them here yet. I hope you like them. 🙂 

Edited by UYI
2 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Do people not like John Denver? He had a lovely voice, John Denver and the Muppets is one of my favorite Christmas albums of all time.

A lot of people made fun of him for seeming too corny or sappy compared to other big pop stars during his day (his habit of saying "far out" a lot during interviews probably only added to it). I think it was more that than anything else. 

• Love 2

I'm trying to find the name of a rap song. I've read that hip hop is a lifestyle and rap a style of music. I love a variety of music, but am not that familiar with this genre. Anyway, it was played beween acts at a recent concert I attended between Claypool Lennon Delirium and Flaming Lips. 

The song had medium beat,                   all male vocals, perhaps 2-4 men, deep voice tones, not high pitch,     no high tech sound, more raw,     from the way the crowd responded song was popular and well known, so either a classic or pretty new song AND it had f word used almost constantly.  Sorry, typing on my phone.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I've ruled out quite a few current  songs. Was not Old Town Road. Lol

On 8/12/2019 at 11:18 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm trying to find the name of a rap song. I've read that hip hop is a lifestyle and rap a style of music. I love a variety of music, but am not that familiar with this genre. Anyway, it was played beween acts at a recent concert I attended between Claypool Lennon Delirium and Flaming Lips. 

The song had medium beat,                   all male vocals, perhaps 2-4 men, deep voice tones, not high pitch,     no high tech sound, more raw,     from the way the crowd responded song was popular and well known, so either a classic or pretty new song AND it had f word used almost constantly.  Sorry, typing on my phone.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I've ruled out quite a few current  songs. Was not Old Town Road. Lol

Ooh boy. Can you quote any of the lyrics?

Given the concert and what I would assume about the crowd, I’ll guess Rockstar by Post Malone & 21 Savage, Sicko Mode by Travis Scott and Drake, or (this is a reach) Look Alive by Drake and Blocboy JB. We’ll start with those.

You can also try King’s Dead by Kendrick Lamar, Future, and some other dudes.

2 hours ago, 27bored said:

Ooh boy. Can you quote any of the lyrics?

Given the concert and what I would assume about the crowd, I’ll guess Rockstar by Post Malone & 21 Savage, Sicko Mode by Travis Scott and Drake, or (this is a reach) Look Alive by Drake and Blocboy JB. We’ll start with those.

You can also try King’s Dead by Kendrick Lamar, Future, and some other dudes.

OMG, thanks for the suggestions.  I'm going to check them out.  I wish I had listened more carefully, but, the only lyrics I recall is the f word repeatedly.  But, nice beat, sound, etc.  I'm going to listen to these to see if they are it.....................................................

okay, I don't think any of those are it.  I appreciate the suggestions.  They spurned me into more thought and now that I think about it, the sound of the sound is more raw and not really synthetic sound, if that makes sense.  The sound and tempo of the sound reminds me of GET BACK by Ludacris, but, it's not that song. I know it is quite old.   But, the voices sound the same, beat the same, tempo, music, language, etc. I didn't see any recent music by Ludacris though.  WARNING.  This is uncut version. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

OMG, thanks for the suggestions.  I'm going to check them out.  I wish I had listened more carefully, but, the only lyrics I recall is the f word repeatedly.  But, nice beat, sound, etc.  I'm going to listen to these to see if they are it.....................................................

okay, I don't think any of those are it.  I appreciate the suggestions.  They spurned me into more thought and now that I think about it, the sound of the sound is more raw and not really synthetic sound, if that makes sense.  The sound and tempo of the sound reminds me of GET BACK by Ludacris, but, it's not that song. I know it is quite old.   But, the voices sound the same, beat the same, tempo, music, language, etc. I didn't see any recent music by Ludacris though.  WARNING.  This is uncut version. 

Eesh, nothing’s ringing a bell. I’d suggest Forever with Drake and some other people, but I think you’d have recognized Eminem (he’s in it) and I don’t think are a bunch of f-bombs in that song. Another random guess is I Don’t Fuck With You by Big Sean and E-40.

• Love 1

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I'm checking them out.  I realize it's worse than looking for a needle in a haystack.  lol  It's akin to looking for a needle in a stack of needles when the needle looks so much like all the other needles! lol   I have texted my friend to see if she recalls it.  I don't think she's much of a rap fan either, though.  I called the venue and they were not helpful.  So, I guess I'll have to just start listening to rap and see if it pops up.  

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Did you check online for bootleg recordings of the concert?  If you find one of those, you can take note of the lyrics and look up the song.

I think she’s talking about the music played before the opener comes out and between acts. 

I think I'm officially old, because if it weren't for this board, I would never have heard of Lil Nas X.

Actually, no, I would have heard him mentioned on commercials for some awards show, and I wouldn't have bothered to google him.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, janie jones said:

I think I'm officially old, because if it weren't for this board, I would never have heard of Lil Nas X.

Actually, no, I would have heard him mentioned on commercials for some awards show, and I wouldn't have bothered to google him.

That's why I'm here. 😉 

• Love 1
On 8/14/2019 at 12:46 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I'm checking them out.  I realize it's worse than looking for a needle in a haystack.  lol  It's akin to looking for a needle in a stack of needles when the needle looks so much like all the other needles! lol   I have texted my friend to see if she recalls it.  I don't think she's much of a rap fan either, though.  I called the venue and they were not helpful.  So, I guess I'll have to just start listening to rap and see if it pops up.  

Any update on figuring out that song?

15 hours ago, UYI said:

This cover is hilarious (in a good way) on several levels.

First, I like that they have him in all red. It’s common among black men from the South to do the matching thing when they’re trying to look fresh. 

Second, I mean, if you didn’t know he was gay before...I’m just saying. 

Third, this is going to down in history as one of Time magazines classic covers. It even looks like it could’ve came from any point in the last thirty years. 

All in all, it’s my favorite Time cover right next to the one they did when Arnold Schwarzenegger ran for governor of CA and it just said, Ahhhhhnold????”

• Love 3

No luck so far, but, I will have move time to research next week.  I was slammed at work, plus, I've been taking classes every weekend for the last 3 weekends.  This week wraps it up though.  

Interesting cover.  Thanks for the heads up. 

4 hours ago, Anduin said:

Bloody hell. If I'm seeing that correctly, I'm desperately hoping that I'm not. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with some people?

I think you're seeing it correctly, because I'm seeing the same thing. I'm hoping it's one of the instances where they didn't realize what would happen to the material under the lights, & not a deliberate choice.

• Love 2