Type keyword(s) to search

The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion)

• Start Topic

The first song I remember is Thriller.  And I'm quite positive it was because when that album was released it was like a bomb went off.  I was 7 years old when it came out and I remember my family sitting down to watch the making of the video.  The next day every kid I knew wanted red pants and one of the jackets.  Going to a Michael Jackson concert was like getting invited to the White House in my elementary school.  

(edited)

As a 90's kid who grew up on Nickelodeon, you better BELIEVE I know what Pete & Pete is! ;)

The theme song was great:

Edited by UYI

I'm going to change this question a little: what's the first contemporary pop song/music video you remember hearing as a child and loving?

Boogie Fever.  It was the first 45 record I ever bought.  I was 7 or 8 at the time.

It definitely sounds similar, but I think that Reyne is wise to not act on this, as I don't feel that it is worthy of being called outright plagiarism...at least not any more than Taylor Swift's "Bad Blood" sounds like "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together".

Bumping this....

Lana is my guilty pleasure. She has a new album coming out this Sept, and rumor has it Mark Ronson is producing. I think that will be a real change from Ultraviolence, and I am so looking forward to it.

Will it have trumpets? Lots of trumpets?

• Love 1

Can somebody explain the Beyonce obsession to me?  I mean, yeah, she's fine, but what makes her a goddess?

No idea.

I find her to be a mediocre song writer and producer....and she's not any more talented than anyone else.  

Great marketing is all I've got.  

• Love 6
(edited)

She's Madonna for this century?

As in being mediocre at best, but somehow becomes a "thing" (that won't die in Madonna's case).

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 1

It's all marketing, especially after I Am... Sasha Fierce. Without that album Beyoncé probably wouldn't be the renowned brand she is now. That and her looks and husband helped immensely. She can sing, but she's not exactly the next Whitney or Mariah.

• Love 3

This is going way back but back when I was in grade school, maybe 1966 or 67, I heard Bus Stop by The Hollies. It was probably the first time I became aware of pop music and I fell hard. I also heard Donovan's Sunshine Superman around the same time even though it came out before Bus Stop. I had made a new friend in the neighborhood and went over to her apt after school (my folks started a neighborhood posse to look for me because I didn't bother to wait for my bro to walk home.) and she had the 45 of it. I still love that song. And I think I still have a crush on that girl.

UYI, I love me some Ricky Nelson. So underrated to all but the true believers but he is in the Hall of Fame and deserves to be. Can't believe it's been 30 years.

In looking through my cd collection, I realized that while my tastes have widened over the years, there isn't much music/artists that I've actually outgrown with the exception  of The Smiths.  I used to love them in a big way, but now find them morose and whiny.  Fair disclosure, when I discovered them I was a morose and whiny college student so the appeal makes sense then...

I also have a hard time listening to Culture Club/Boy George.  Granted, it was always my shameful secret that I had one of the cds, but the Boy George's voice was incredible even though the music for the most part was rot despite at times being terribly catchy.

I had no idea she has another album coming out...I can't wait. I'd like to hear some catchier tunes. I liked Ultraviolence but a lot of the songs just didn't stay with me. Someday, I hope she'll officially release some of the great tunes she has all over YouTube.

• Love 1
(edited)

There is no need for drones at a......concert.

I think it could be useful for some unique POVs.  Iglesias' problem was grabbing it and underestimating how powerful and dangerous the rotors can be.

Edited by magicdog

I like her music, I really do. I've gotta say though, I was less than impressed when I saw her live. Her performance was just plain boring. I will say though that this was at the Austin City Limits festival so it may not have been the best venue to see her in.

Chris Brown.

I used to kind of like him. He can dance his ass off, he's somewhere between Usher and Bieber vocally (he's not as smooth as Usher, but his voice is heavier/more convincing than Biebs), and he can come up with a decent song or two sometimes. When the whole thing with Rihanna happened, I thought he was dead wrong but I was ready to forgive him. I felt like until that point he had the boy next door image. He had a sweet smile, kind of teenage awkwardness that was endearing, and a b-boy sense of style; he looked like one of the boys your son might play basketball with after school.

Conversely, you can look in Rihanna's eyes and tell she's trouble. Boys go crazy for her because she isn't sweet and innocent. So it looked like he just got in a bad way with a bad girl. I think that's why Chris has been able to hold on to a lot of his career in the wake of that.

But then Chris flipped out on GMA, thugged himself out with full sleeves and neck tattoos, getting arrested again and doing time in jail. I liked the harder edge in his music and image at first; it would've seemed inauthentic to try to come off like a quiet church boy after beating up your girlfriend. But he's made mostly R Kelly levels of raunchy music since then and it's like he's more rapper than singer now. Add to that him stringing along all-purpose rice cake Karreuche for years and, yeah, Chris sucks. He seems fake, short-tempered, stubborn, and stupid. He's why Jason DeRulo keeps chugging along. He's all polish and radio friendly dance tunes. I don't think he has as much natural talent as Chris, but he'll go further because he's kept his nose clean.

• Love 1

Conversely, you can look in Rihanna's eyes and tell she's trouble. Boys go crazy for her because she isn't sweet and innocent. So it looked like he just got in a bad way with a bad girl. I think that's why Chris has been able to hold on to a lot of his career in the wake of that.

Assault is assault whether the victim is a good girl, bad girl or somewhere in between.

• Love 8

Assault is assault whether the victim is a good girl, bad girl or somewhere in between.

You're right, and I'm sorry I didn't complete that thought.

I think a lot of people assume that what happened between them was as much her fault as it was his. Not that she deserved to be assaulted, but that she was probably more the verbal and likely physical aggressor. Chris made error of swinging back and not, say, walking away and calling the police. By appearances, at least up until that point, Chris didn't seem like the type to swing out on a woman, but Rihanna definitely seemed like she'll cut a bitch.

We don't know what happened for sure, but I feel like Rihanna wouldn't have gone back to Chris if she didn't feel somewhat responsible. And not in that "I'm to blame for my boyfriend's bad temper" abuse victim logic; I mean I think Rihanna knows she came in like a wrecking ball and closed her eyes and swung. They advised Chris to just apologize and take his lumps instead of sounding like he's blaming her, because then he never would've lived it down. But I think a lot of people view it like Chris, you're probably a decent kid, probably not the brightest bulb and probably a little on the sensitive side, but you don't mean anybody any harm. Don't get mixed up with little fast ass, fresh mouthed chicks like Rihanna. But that's who he keeps chasing after.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of Chris' troubles have come from not dealing with that situation, and being influenced by people in the hip hop world who have looser standards when it comes to violence against women.

• Love 1

People are real good at knee-jerk reactions without reading lyrics. They see the title and go "OMG!!" Ridiculous. The song is about being jealous of the girl that is with a guy that you like. It's one of the oldest country themes in the book. It's just a different twist on it.

Do you, or does anyone else here, besides me, remember the Lorrie Morgan song Out of Your Shoes? It was a Top 3 song for her in the US & Canada when it was released in July, 1989.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_Your_Shoes

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Out-Of-Your-Shoes-lyrics-Lorrie-Morgan/8A459707534602D548256D35003154E0

(LYRICS--Start under the green "Play the Lorrie Morgan Quiz" link; should be next to an ad on the page)

Anyway, it was basically the same type of song, 1 lady talks about wanting to change places with another lady because of a guy they either both like or who used to be involved with 1 & is now with the other. Only *nobody*--in or out of Country radio--raised an "It's about 2 lesbians/wannabe lesbians--OMG!" stink about it, or misunderstood/misinterpreted the lyrics, when it was popular. There was NO stink about it AT ALL. This song was 1 of the 1st things I thought about, besides the Girl Crush controversy shouldn't even BE a controversy, when I heard about Girl Crush & read the lyrics.

New forums for:

Austin City Limits: http://forums.previously.tv/forum/1849-austin-city-limits/

With 40 years under it's belt, much of it alternative music rather than country, there's a lot to discuss.

CMT Crossroads: http://forums.previously.tv/forum/1850-cmt-crossroads/

The main reason CMT shouldn't be totally shunned.  A great show creating really entertaining jam sessions between pop or blues artists, generally with country music stars who want to escape their boxes a bit.  Over 13 years, some really decent history to this one too.

No, there's no "Hee Haw" forum!  Don't you even...

• Love 1

Gloom, despair and agony on me

Deep, dark depression excessive misery

If it weren't for bad luck

I'd have no luck at all

Gloom, despair and agony on me.

Sorry, could not resist!

• Love 4
I'm going to change this question a little: what's the first contemporary pop song/music video you remember hearing as a child and loving

I don't know actually what year it came out, but when I was in grade school I would visit a boy I knew down the street sometimes when he was staying with his grandparents.  At their house they had a 45 record of Lloyd Price singing "Personality".  I still like that one.

The first 45 I bought with my own allowance money, in the 60s, would have been "Cherish" by the Association.  I still love that also.   I had a clock radio in my room and could hear all the hits of that era.

I just love the 1960s music, especially the mid 60s.  Anyone else who does should try to listen to the oldies station, WLNG.  They are live out of Long Island, but can be heard online and still play music from the 50s to (occasionally) the present day.

Sounds like what we used to hear on WCBS-FM.   I miss that station.

There's a great internet oldies station here which focuses on music from the late 50s to about 1969.  Plus, they play B-sides and lost gems from the early years of Rock & Roll.

what's the first contemporary pop song/music video you remember hearing as a child and loving

It wasn't contemporary but it used to play on the radio quite a bit (since we or my grandparents were tuned into either WCBS or WHLI):  Music, Music, Music by Teresa Brewer.  It's still a fun tune to hear to this day.

New forums for:

CMT Crossroads: http://forums.previously.tv/forum/1850-cmt-crossroads/

The main reason CMT shouldn't be totally shunned.  A great show creating really entertaining jam sessions between pop or blues artists, generally with country music stars who want to escape their boxes a bit.  Over 13 years, some really decent history to this one too.

I love the crossover type shows - Live at Darryl's House made me actually like him.  Will have to look for CMT Crossroads.  

I wish CMT still did Wide Open Country, where they used to show "edgier" country videos - like Johnny Cash's version of Hurt or God's Gonna Cut You Down, plus some upstart-y type bands I'd never have heard of otherwise.  

I love the crossover type shows - Live at Darryl's House made me actually like him.  

Since it's been broadcast on TV (or even if it hadn't been, as long as it's an ongoing series), you could request a forum.  I like LaDH too.

I just love the 1960s music, especially the mid 60s.  Anyone else who does should try to listen to the oldies station, WLNG.  They are live out of Long Island, but can be heard online and still play music from the 50s to (occasionally) the present day.

We lost our Hartford-based oldies station (WDRC) a year or so ago, so I am going to see if I can pick up WLNG - for when WEHM is running commercials or something! 

Since it's been broadcast on TV (or even if it hadn't been, as long as it's an ongoing series), you could request a forum.  I like LaDH too.

I don't know how popular it is - I get e-mail about new episodes, but it's pretty hard to find on TV, and then when you find it, it's on at 2am.  It might be a dead-ish forum.

Entertainment Weekly ran an article in the latest issue about why the pop music world is dominated by female singers.  I want to know why so many of those female singers sound like little teensy girls singing in high pitched, nasally voices.

The group, Little Big Town "defending" themselves (honestly they seem more disgusted at the whole "controversy" than disgusted--although they could be playing EVERYBODY to get press):

(Bolding mine.)

Bingo. That right there. I like the song (and the group), and I agree that anyone who actually listens to the lyrics should realize what it's really about.

But. The song was written (IMO) in such a way to deliberately draw gasps of "OMG!  A country song about lesbians?!?" So I find it pretty disingenuous of them to be all shocked! and surprised! that there's a "controversy" around it. I think they got exactly the response they were after - a hugely popular song and credibility and notoriety beyond the country music world. As Rick Kitchen points out above, it's a major hit for them, so whatever movement there is to get the song yanked or whatever must be very small or very ineffective.

• Love 2

Entertainment Weekly ran an article in the latest issue about why the pop music world is dominated by female singers.  I want to know why so many of those female singers sound like little teensy girls singing in high pitched, nasally voices.

Some of the notes Ariana Grande hits can only be heard by dogs.

• Love 4

On that level, it's just a touch more subtle than Katy Perry's I Kissed A Girl. It's not a bad song but honestly, I'm way more interested in an artist like Mary Lambert than this half-arsed nonsense.

• Love 1
(edited)

I have many, but I'll start with a significant one. Trouble by Cat Stevens, especially during the movie Harold and Maude. Firstly, it has a personal reason, last August right after Robin Williams took his life, I was thinking of him and how he hid behind his comedy. It put me in a melancholy mood, which drew me into watching the movie Harold and Maude. Which for those who've never seen it, is a bit of a cult film with some great acting, dark humor and lots of thoughts about life and death.

My favorite part of the film is when the song Trouble plays and it never fails to turn me into a heaping, sobbing mess. After the second verse, when the piano slowly tinkles in....there's just something about a piano.  Bud Cort's acting. The sadness in his eyes and the way he opens and closes his hand while he anxiously waits. 

But last August, I was already sad, listening this song when I get a phone call that one of my dearest friends just ended her life. The day after Robin Williams ended his. My friend was the comedian of our group and her suicide was completely unexpected. 

So, from now on, the song Trouble by Cat Stevens, the movie Harold and Maude and especially this particular scene will always make me cry and think of my dear friend Alicia ... and Robin Williams a little bit too.

Edited by aurora296
(edited)

Egad.

Makes you think "I guess she DID beat Chris back".

Also... breasts (both Rihanna's and some blond with huge ones). And torture. And blood. And bloody breasts. And the N word.

Egad.

Only play this if no kiddies in the room, I suppose.

Bitch Better Have My Money

Edited by BizBuzz
Edited title, put link instead of embed