Type keyword(s) to search

The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion)

• Start Topic

On 1/5/2019 at 12:21 AM, WendyCR72 said:

How did I never know there is a Spanish version of "Mickey" performed by Toni Basil? (Listening right now on the 1st Wave channel on SiriusXM.) So weird. The music is still earwormy, even if I only understand about a quarter of it. (Thanks, Spanish classes!)

It used to be on Spotify! I had actually forgotten about it until I saw your post, haha. But I think it was a bonus track on Toni Basil's greatest hits album or something like that, but it looks like her entire catalog has been removed from Spotify. Boo.

On another note, it's hilarious to hear this on the radio because SO many words have to be censored! (Also, Prince. Sniff.)

• Love 1

And in "you're getting old" news:

Today marks the 20th anniversary of the release of Britney Spears' debut album, ...Baby One More Time.

I was almost 10 when this album came out, and I am pretty sure she was only the second artist whose CD I ever owned, after the Spice Girls' first two albums.

I DID, however, have a copy of the girl group B*Witched's first album, except it was actually on a cassette tape! 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/britney-spears-baby-one-more-time-anniversary-rob-sheffield-777564/

• Love 2

I'm actually a few months older than Britney, herself, so...

Anyway, I remember hating this album when it first came out.  I thought Britney had a terrible voice, and I didn't like anything about it.  Then, over the years, I stopped expecting her to have a great voice, and just enjoyed her songs.   BOMT isn't my favorite album, though; if I had to choose, I'd go with Blackout, or possibly In the Zone.  It's hard to decide between the two.

• Love 2

I would've been 14 at the time this album came out. I don't recall ever owning the album itself, but I did at one point have a CD single with her "Baby, One More Time" song on it, plus a few other songs like "Autumn Goodbye", which I really loved. I want to say there was a cover of "The Beat Goes On" on there as well? 

Hard to believe it's been that long ago already. 

• Love 3

Can someone explain to me what Ariana Grande is trying to say in "Thank You, Next"? I don't get it, all I can think of when I see that title is a deli counter. They hand you the sandwich & say "thank you" & then yell "NEXT" for the next person to help. I don't understand if the song is sarcastic, or she's really thanking people & yelling "next" for her next customer.

2 hours ago, GaT said:

Can someone explain to me what Ariana Grande is trying to say in "Thank You, Next"? I don't get it, all I can think of when I see that title is a deli counter. They hand you the sandwich & say "thank you" & then yell "NEXT" for the next person to help. I don't understand if the song is sarcastic, or she's really thanking people & yelling "next" for her next customer.

I think she's just trying to thank all of her exes for helping to enrich her life in one way or another, with "next" being her way of saying "bring on the future", whether it means there's another guy involved or not.

It's a very sweet sentiment, actually. 

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I would've been 14 at the time this album came out. I don't recall ever owning the album itself, but I did at one point have a CD single with her "Baby, One More Time" song on it, plus a few other songs like "Autumn Goodbye", which I really loved. I want to say there was a cover of "The Beat Goes On" on there as well? 

Hard to believe it's been that long ago already. 

My tradition of questionable taste may have very well began with that cover of "The Beat Goes On", which closed the BOMT album. I didn't know about the Sonny and Cher version yet, and I listened to her cover like it was one of the big singles, lol.

I don't recognize the name "Autumn Goodbye", though. Here's the tracklist for the album:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...Baby_One_More_Time_(album)#Track_listing

51 minutes ago, UYI said:

I think she's just trying to thank all of her exes for helping to enrich her life in one way or another, with "next" being her way of saying "bring on the future", whether it means there's another guy involved or not.

It's a very sweet sentiment, actually.

I am just not getting that when I hear it LOL, it's such a strange song.

1 hour ago, UYI said:

.My tradition of questionable taste may have very well began with that cover of "The Beat Goes On", which closed the BOMT album. I didn't know about the Sonny and Cher version yet, and I listened to her cover like it was one of the big singles, lol.

I don't recognize the name "Autumn Goodbye", though. Here's the tracklist for the album:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...Baby_One_More_Time_(album)#Track_listing

Yeah, like I said, that song wasn't on the album itself, just on a CD single. Here's the song, if you're curious :):

As for "The Beat Goes On", I was familiar with the original, simply 'cause my mom likes Cher, so I'd hear that song sometimes growing up. But yeah, I liked Britney's version, too, and I seem to remember my parents being a bit confused at the time as to why she decided to cover that song, of all songs :p. 

Fegarding your comment about "questionable taste", ha, hey, you'll get no judgment from me there! I have a very high tolerance for a lot of music that some out there would deem "cheesy" or "lame" or whatever, so I get ya :D. 

8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, like I said, that song wasn't on the album itself, just on a CD single. Here's the song, if you're curious :):

As for "The Beat Goes On", I was familiar with the original, simply 'cause my mom likes Cher, so I'd hear that song sometimes growing up. But yeah, I liked Britney's version, too, and I seem to remember my parents being a bit confused at the time as to why she decided to cover that song, of all songs :p. 

Fegarding your comment about "questionable taste", ha, hey, you'll get no judgment from me there! I have a very high tolerance for a lot of music that some out there would deem "cheesy" or "lame" or whatever, so I get ya :D. 

I'm also about the only person in the country thread these days, so there's that, too. :D 

I was 15 when BOMT was released. Definitely not my favorite album of hers (that would be Blackout). It was cheesy as hell, but perfect for the pop musical landscape at the time. I actually remember when TRL introduced the BOMT video for the first time.

My favorite song on the album:

I think Britney looks gorgeous in this video, but then again, I am partial to dirty blonde/brown hair than yellow/white blonde hair.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 3

Want to find out what every number one song has been on your birthday since you've been born? Now you can!

https://www.mybirthdayhits.com/

Here are mine, for what it's worth:

February 28th, 1989: Lost In Your Eyes--Debbie Gibson (Date Of Birth)
February 28th, 1990:Escapade--Janet Jackson (1 year old)
February 28th, 1991: All the Man That I Need--Whitney Houston (2 years old)
February 28th, 1992: To Be with You--Mr. Big (3 years old)
February 28th, 1993: A Whole New World (Aladdin's Theme)--Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle (4 years old)
February 28th, 1994: The Power of Love--Celine Dion (5 years old)
February 28th, 1995: Take a Bow--Madonna (6 years old)
February 28th, 1996: One Sweet Day--Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men (7 years old)
February 28th, 1997: Wannabe--Spice Girls (8 years old)
February 28th, 1998: My Heart Will Go On (Love Theme from Titanic)--Celine Dion (9 years old)
February 28th, 1999: Angel of Mine--Monica (10 years old)
February 28th, 2000: Amazed--Lonestar (11 years old)
February 28th, 2001: Stutter--Joe feat. Mystikal (12 years old)
February 28th, 2002: Always on Time--Ja Rule feat. Ashanti (13 years old)
February 28th, 2003: All I Have--Jennifer Lopez feat. LL Cool J (14 years old)
February 28th, 2004: Yeah!--Usher feat. Lil Jon and Ludacris (15 years old)
February 28th, 2005: Candy Shop--50 Cent feat. Olivia (16 years old)
February 28th, 2006: Check on It--Beyonce feat. Slim Thug (17 years old)
February 28th, 2007: What Goes Around...Comes Around--Justin Timberlake (18 years old)
February 28th, 2008: Low--Flo-Rida feat. T-Pain (19 years old)
February 28th, 2009: Right Round--Flo-Rida (20 years old)
February 28th, 2010: Imma Be--The Black Eyed Peas (21 years old)
February 28th, 2011: Born This Way--Lady Gaga (22 years old)
February 28th, 2012: Part of Me--Katy Perry (23 years old)
February 28th, 2013: Harlem Shake--Baauer (24 years old)
February 28th, 2014: Dark Horse--Katy Perry feat. Juicy J (25 years old)
February 28th, 2015: Uptown Punk--Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars (26 years old)
February 28th, 2016: Work--Rihanna feat. Drake (27 years old)
February 28th, 2017: Shape of You--Ed Sheeran (28 years old)
February 28th, 2018: God's Plan--Drake (29 years old)
February 28th, 2019: To Be Determined. :) (30 years old!!!!)

@AgentRXS, ah, yeah, I remember that song, too! I liked it, too. I also loved "(You Drive Me) Crazy". And I always thought Britney looked quite pretty in the "Sometimes" video.

Speaking of Britney videos, it's not from this album, but I saw the "Lucky" video on MTV Classic earlier this week. I haven't seen that video or heard that song in years, but man, watching it recently honestly made me kinda sad, because man, talk about eerie foreshadowing regarding what happened to Britney a few years afterward. 

6 hours ago, UYI said:

I'm also about the only person in the country thread these days, so there's that, too. :D 

I've poked my head into that thread and read some of the comments there sometimes. Country isn't a genre I follow all that deeply, but I know there's been a few artists mentioned in there that I'm familiar with, so maybe I'll think to comment at some point ).

Also, that link about birthday hits is neat! Here's all of mine for the date of October 6th:

1984: "Let's Go Crazy"-Prince

1985: "Oh, Sheila"-Ready for the World

1986: "When I Think of You"-Janet Jackson

1987: "Here I Go Again"-Whitesnake

1988: "Love Bites"-Def Leppard

1989: "Miss You Much"-Janet Jackson

1990: "Close to You"-Maxi Priest

1991: "Emotions"-Mariah Carey

1992: "End of the Road"-Boyz II Men

1993: "Dreamlover"-Mariah Carey

1994: "I'll Make Love to You"-Boyz II Men

1995: "Fantasy"-Mariah Carey

1996: "Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)"-Los Del Rio (LMAO)

1997: "Candle in the Wind '97/Something About the Way You Look Tonight"-Elton John

1998: "The First Night"-Monica

1999: "Heartbreaker"-Mariah Carey

2000: "Music"-Madonna

2001: "Fallin'"-Alicia Keys

2002: "A Moment Like This"-Kelly Clarkson

2003: "Baby Boy"-Beyonce feat. Sean Paul

2004: "Goodies"-Ciara feat. Petey Pablo

2005: "Gold Digger"-Kanye West feat. Jamie Foxx

2006: "Sexyback"-Justin Timberlake

2007: "Crank That (Soulja Boy)"-Soulja Boy

2008: "Whatever You Like"-T.I.

2009: "I Gotta Feeling"-Black Eyed Peas

2010: "Just the Way You Are"-Bruno Mars

2011: "Moves Like Jagger"-Maroon 5 feat. Christina Aguilera

2012: "One More Night"-Maroon 5

2013: "Royals"-Lorde

2014: "All About That Bass"-Meghan Trainor

2015: "The Hills"-The Weeknd

2016: "Closer"-The Chainsmokers feat. Halsey

2017: "Look What You Made Me Do"-Taylor Swift

2018: "Girls Like You"-Maroon 5 feat. Cardi B. 

Quite an interesting list there. I love how the '90s section is pretty much just Mariah and Boyz II Men battling it out much of the time :p. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5

I usually like everything Todd does, but I was disappointed in his 'best of' list, this year.  I know 2018 was not the strongest year for him to work with, but excluding Finesse by Bruno Mars, everything on that list sounded the same, to me, like all the artists were on Xanax.  Surely there were nine other hits that were slightly more interesting than the ones he chose.  Or maybe I just want to believe there were, because I'm old, and artists and songs seemed to have WAY more personality and punch than they do, now. *sigh*

Edited by Shakma

If I listed the birthday hits from my birthday onward, I'd get carpal tunnel. (In my 40s, let's put it like that.) 😊 I stopped "recognizing" the songs fairly late on the list, though, so I guess I'm not ready for "GET OFF MY LAWN!" territory quite yet!

• Love 3

I hope you guys at least had some fun with it, without it making you feel TOO old! :)

There is another website which also tells you every number one song on your birthday from your birth year on, except in addition to the Billboard Hot 100, it also includes other charts, such as the Country charts, although at the moment it's not including the (admittedly few at this point) 2019 number ones in any genre--sorry, January babies. (Of course, you can find literally any of these statistics and more at Billboard's website, but that's beside the point, here.)

https://www.mybirthdayfacts.com/number-one-song.htm

Here are my country number ones:

February 28th, 1989: I Still Believe in You—The Desert Rose Band (Date Of Birth)
February 28th, 1990: No Matter How High—The Oak Ridge Boys (1 year old)
February 28th, 1991: Walk on Faith—Mike Reid (2 years old)
February 28th, 1992: What’s She Doing Now—Garth Brooks (3 years old)
February 28th, 1993: What Part of No—Lorrie Morgan (4 years old)
February 28th, 1994: I Just Wanted You to Know—Mark Chestnutt (5 years old)
February 28th, 1995: Old Enough to Know Better—Wade Hayes (6 years old)
February 28th, 1996: Wild Angels—Martina McBride (7 years old)
February 28th, 1997: Running Out of Reasons to Run—Rick Trevino (8 years old)
February 28th, 1998: What If I Said—Anita Cochran and Steve Wariner (9 years old)
February 28th, 1999: No Place That Far—Sara Evans (10 years old)
February 28th, 2000: My Best Friend—Tim McGraw (11 years old)
February 28th, 2001: You Shouldn’t Kiss Me Like This—Toby Keith (12 years old)
February 28th, 2002: Good Morning Beautiful—Steve Holy (13 years old)
February 28th, 2003: The Baby—Blake Shelton (14 years old)
February 28th, 2004: American Soldier—Toby Keith (15 years old)
February 28th, 2005: Bless the Broken Road—Rascal Flatts (16 years old)
February 28th, 2006: When I Get Where I’m Going—Brad Paisley feat. Dolly Parton (17 years old)
February 28th, 2007: It Just Comes Natural—George Strait (18 years old)
February 28th, 2008: Cleaning This Gun (Come On In Boy)—Rodney Atkins (19 years old)
February 28th, 2009: Down The Road—Kenny Chesney and Mac McAnally (20 years old)
February 28th, 2010: Why Don’t We Just Dance—Josh Turner (21 years old)
February 28th, 2011: Who Are You When I’m Not Looking—Blake Shelton (22 years old)
February 28th, 2012: You Gonna Fly—Keith Urban (23 years old)
February 28th, 2013: Wanted—Hunter Hayes (24 years old)
February 28th, 2014: Chillin’ It—Cole Swindell (25 years old)
February 28th, 2015: Take Your Time—Sam Hunt (26 years old)
February 28th, 2016: Die a Happy Man—Thomas Rhett (27 years old)
February 28th, 2017: Body Like a Back Road—Sam Hunt (28 years old)
February 28th, 2018: Meant to Be—Bebe Rexha and Florida Georgia Line (29 years old)
February 28th, 2019: To Be Determined. :) (30 years old!!!!)

Edited by UYI

Mine, complete with fun comments...

1981 - Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield (This song is creepy AF, but I still sing along with it when I hear it on the radio.)

1982 - Eye of the Tiger by Survivor (Meh.  It's fun, I guess.)

1983 - Every Breath You Take by The Police (Another creepy AF song. We're on a roll, here...)

1984 - Ghostbusters by Ray Parker, Jr. (Fun.  Still listen to this one, every Halloween.)

1985 - Shout by Tears for Fears (Not my favorite song of theirs.  That would be "Head Over Heels".)

1986 - Glory of Love by Peter Cetera (Eh...it's good, I guess.)

1987 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2 (Nice.  Love U2.)

1988 - Roll With It by Steve Winwood (Prefer "Valerie".)

1989 - Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx (Nice voice, not that big a fan.  I have an embarrassing love for his duet with Donna Lewis, though.)

1990 - Vision of Love by Mariah Carey (I remember this one being EVERYWHERE)

1991 - (Everything I Do) I Do It for You by Bryan Adams (BLECH)

1992 - This Used to Be My Playground by Madonna (One of her worst songs)

1993 - Can't Help Falling in Love by UB40 (Not a bad cover, IMO.  I kind of liked UB40, even though they sucked.)

1994 - Stay (I Missed You) by Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories (Another song that was inescapable.  I had the single, but I left it in the sun, and it got completely warped.)

1995 - Waterfalls by TLC (The first CD I bought, with my own money.  I memorized the rap, even though they NEVER played it on the radio.)

1996 - Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix) by Los Del Rio (Pure cheese.  I love it.)

1997 - I'll Be Missing You by Puff Daddy and Faith Evans featuring 112 (I don't dislike this one as much as I used to, but I still don't *like* it.)

1998 - The Boy Is Mine by Brandy and Monica (Prefer Monica.  She was so much better.)

1999 - Genie in a Bottle by Christina Aguilera (I had this album, too.  It only had about four good songs on it, and this was definitely one of them.)

2000 - Incomplete by Sisqó (I remember "The Thong Song", but I don't remember this.)

2001 - Bootylicious by Destiny's Child (I work out to this one, all the time.)

2002 - Hot in Herre by Nelly (NO.  "Dilemma" is good, though.)

2003 - Crazy in Love by Beyoncé featuring Jay-Z (This one is fun.  I wish Beyonce would come out with another single like this, again.)

2004 - Slow Motion by Juvenile featuring Soulja Slim (Don't know what the hell this is.)

2005 - We Belong Together by Mariah Carey (I love Mariah, and I don't care who knows it.  One of my favorite albums, of hers.)

2006 - Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado featuring Timbaland (It took me a while to warm to this one, but now I like it.)

2007 - Beautiful Girls by Sean Kingston (Guilty pleasure, if only because I worked with someone who would stop working and dance to this song, whenever she heard it.)

2008 - I Kissed a Girl by Katy Perry (Oh, please.  She has MUCH better songs, than this one.  "Spiritual" is her best, IMO.)

2009 - I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas (Lame.  The only song I like from The Black-Eyed Peas is "Shut Up".)

2010 - Love the Way You Lie by Eminem featuring Rihanna (SAD.  Good song, but SAD.)

2011 - Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO featuring Lauren Bennett and GoonRock (It's fun, but I didn't like those guys.  They were still better than 3OH!3, though.)

2012 - Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen (It took me a while to like Carly, but now, I love her.  I wish she got more recognition.)

2013 - Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke featuring T.I. and Pharrell (NEXT.)

2014 - Rude by Magic! (Dumb song, but harmless.)

2015 - Cheerleader by OMI (Ditto.)

2016 - Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul (Never liked this one.  I hate to sound like a hipster douche, but Sia was so much better before she collabed with everyone, and got big.)

2017 - Despacito by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber (Meh.)

2018 - In My Feelings by Drake (Isn't he trying to groom Millie Bobbie Brown?)

Fine. Let's do "War and Peace", the WendyCR72 version:

09/18/72: Baby, Don't Get Hooked On Me - Mac Davis (Birth)

09/18/73: Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye (1st Birthday)

09/18/74: Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe - Barry White (2nd Birthday)

09/18/75: Fame - David Bowie (3rd Birthday)

09/18/76: Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry (4th Birthday)

09/18/77: Best Of My Love - The Emotions (5th Birthday)

09/18/78: Boogie Oogie Oogie - Taste Of Honey (6th Birthday)

09/18/79: My Sharona - The Knack (7th Birthday)

09/18/80: Upside Down - Diana Ross (8th Birthday)

09/18/81: Endless Love - Diana Ross and Lionel Richie (9th Birthday)

09/18/82: Hard To Say I'm Sorry - Chicago (10th Birthday)

09/18/83: Tell Her About It - Billy Joel (11th Birthday)

09/18/84: Missing You - John Waite (12th Birthday)

09/18/85: Money For Nothing - Dire Straits (13th Birthday)

09/18/86: Stuck With You - Huey Lewis and The News (14th Birthday)

09/18/87: I Just Can't Stop Loving You - Michael Jackson (15th Birthday)

09/18/88: Don't Worry, Be Happy - Bobby Ferrin (16th Birthday)

09/18/89: Girl, I'm Gonna Miss You - Milli Vanilli (17th Birthday)

09/18/90: Release Me - Wilson Phillips (18th Birthday)

09/18/91: I Adore Mi Amore - Color Me Badd (19th Birthday)

09/18/92: End of the Road - Boys II Men (20th Birthday)

09/18/93: Dreamlover - Mariah Carey (21st Birthday)

09/18/94: I'll Make Love To You - Boys II Men (22nd Birthday)

09/18/95: Gangsta's Paradise - Coolio (23rd Birthday)

09/18/96: Macarena - Los Del Rio (24th Birthday)

09/18/97: Honey - Mariah Carey (25th Birthday)

09/18/98: I Don't Want To Miss A Thing - Aerosmith (26th Birthday)

09/18/99: Unpretty - TLC (27th Birthday)

09/18/00: Music - Madonna (28th Birthday)

09/18/01: I'm Real - Jennifer Lopez (29th Birthday)

09/18/02: Dilemma - Nelly Ft. Kelly Rowland (30th Birthday)

09/18/03: Shake Ya Tailfeather - Nelly, P. Diddy and Murphy Lee (31st Birthday)

09/18/04: Goodies - Ciara Ft. Petey Pablo (32nd Birthday)

09/18/05: Golddigger - Kanye West Ft. Jamie Foxx (33rd Birthday)

09/18/06: SexyBack - Justin Timberlake (34th Birthday)

09/18/07: Crank That (Soulja Boy) - Soulja Boy (35th Birthday)

09/18/08: Whatever You Like -  T.I. (36th Birthday)

09/18/09: I Gotta Feeling - The Black-Eyed Peas (37th Birthday)

09/18/10: Teenage Dream - Katy Perry (38th Birthday)

09/18/11: Moves Like Jagger - Maroon Five Ft. Christina Aguilera (39th Birthday)

09/18/12: We Are Never, Ever Getting Back Together - Taylor Swift (40th Birthday)

09/18/13: Roar - Katy Perry (41st Birthday)

09/18/14: All About That Bass - Meghan Trainor (42nd Birthday)

09/18/15: What Do You Mean? - Justin Beiber (UGH!) (43rd Birthday)

09/18/16: Closer - Chainsmokers Ft. Halsey (Personally prefer Closer by NIN!) (44th Birthday)

09/18/17: Look What You Made Me Do - Taylor Swift (45th Birthday)

09/18/18: In My Feelings - Drake (46th Birthday)

09/18/19: #1 Song To be Determined (47th Birthday)

WHEW! One thing I noticed, the beginning had a mix of country (Mac Davis), rock (The Knack), and pop (Madonna, Michael Jackson, etc.). Variety seems to have given way to bubblegum pop and/or R&B/rap overload!

• Love 1

By the way, this site has all the songs I posted above, but it also shows #1 songs by music genre (for rock, it only starts at 1981 for whatever reason in my case!), so if you want to see what else was charting on your birthday in another genre, take a peek!

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

By the way, this site has all the songs I posted above, but it also shows #1 songs by music genre (for rock, it only starts at 1981 for whatever reason in my case!), so if you want to see what else was charting on your birthday in another genre, take a peek!

Yep! I linked to that website too a few posts above, when I shared my country birthday number ones. :) 

Looking at the lists posted, it's clear the early '00s are when I started losing interest in popular music; the '70s, '80s, and '90s songs I was all readily familiar with, but once the aughts got going and especially once I hit the teens, it was only about a 50/50 chance I'd even heard of the song.

• Love 3

Okay, here's my list... with commentary.

1972 - Alone Again (Naturally) by Gilbert O'Sullivan (Seriously? This is what I came into the world with. My mother wrote that 'Honky Cat' was the hit when I was born and I'm sticking with that.)

1973 - Touch Me in the Morning by Diana Ross (Okay, I can get down with Ms Ross)

1974 - The Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace (Nanana nanana na NA na NA na naaaaa! Brother what a night it really was!! Glory be!)

1975 - Fallin' in Love by Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds (The harp was a big instrument for 70s love songs.)

1976 - Don't Go Breaking My Heart by Elton John and Kiki Dee (Everything is magical and nothing hurts.)

1977 - Best of My Love by The Emotions (This is a struttin' song and there is nothing wrong with that)

1978 - Three Times a Lady by Commodores (Hey Lionel, we'll be seeing you again)

1979 - Good Times by Chic (YES. I saw them live a couple of years ago with Duran Duran and it was everything I could want and more.)

1980 - Magic by Olivia Newton-John (The best part about Xanadu, let's be real. Well, other than the roller skating.)

1981 - Endless Love by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie (Hey again, Lionel and Diana, you guys are great but this song and that movie... ugh!)

1982 - Eye of the Tiger by Survivor (The montage workout song titan!!)

1983 - Every Breath You Take by The Police (Everyone's favorite stalker song! Even at the tender age of 11 I knew this song was creepy af. The video is amazing, though.)

1984 - Ghostbusters by Ray Parker, Jr. (Ghostbusters owned the summer of '84. That and the Olympics.)

1985 - Shout by Tears for Fears (No complaints.)

1986 - Papa Don't Preach by Madonna (Nope, no complaints here either.)

1987 - Who's That Girl by Madonna (Or here.)

1988 - Roll With It by Steve Winwood (Ironically, it was around this time I started getting hard core into Classic Rock. I'll take John Barleycorn over this.)

1989 - Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx (Still the funniest Trivial Pursuit answer my friend ever gave.)

1990 - Vision of Love by Mariah Carey (I wasn't even listening to current shit on the radio by this time.)

1991 - (Everything I Do) I Do It for You by Bryan Adams (But I still loved Bryan Adams.)

1992 - End of the Road by Boyz II Men (You couldn't escape this song. Ever.)

1993 - Can't Help Falling in Love by UB40 (UB40 making Elvis into reggae? Into it.)

1994 - Stay (I Missed You) by Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories (Oh, yeah... this song existed. I vaguely recall...)

1995 - Waterfalls by TLC (Remember the CGI Waterfall TLC from the video? Creepy no?)

1996 - Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix) by Los Del Rio (Oh God... everything is terrible.)

1997 - I'll Be Missing You by Puff Daddy and Faith Evans featuring 112 (Oh hey, it's everyone's favorite stalker song again... remixed and reworded to be about dead people. Fitting?)

1998 - The Boy Is Mine by Brandy and Monica (People, I owned the Thriller album okay? This retread didn't make the 'fighting over someone' trope any better!)

1999 - Genie in a Bottle by Christina Aguilera (I weirdly liked this one and judged myself for it.)

2000 - Incomplete by Sisqó (Huh?)

2001 - Fallin' by Alicia Keys (Alicia is fine but this is pretty much where hit songs fall completely off the radar for me. Also, get off my lawn.)

2002 - Dilemma by Nelly featuring Kelly Rowland (What?)

2003 - Crazy in Love by Beyoncé featuring Jay-Z (Oh... yeah, I mean this was another one you couldn't escape.)

2004 - Lean Back by Terror Squad (Um?)

2005 - We Belong Together by Mariah Carey (Oh, look, Mariah's back.)

2006 - London Bridge by Fergie (I remember Kids Incorporated. My sister loves Fergie which is why I know this exists.)

2007 - Beautiful Girls by Sean Kingston (::awkward silence::)

2008 - Disturbia by Rihanna (Oh, Rihanna! Hey! What up?)

2009 - I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas (This song owned the summer.)

2010 - Love the Way You Lie by Eminem featuring Rihanna (Hey, Rihanna again!)

2011 - Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO featuring Lauren Bennett and GoonRock (Everything about this line is somehow painful.)

2012 - Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen (Oh, THAT'S who Carly Rae Jepsen is!)

2013 - Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke featuring T.I. and Pharrell (Everything is a nightmare. What is life, even?)

2014 - Rude by Magic! (Does the exclamation point show excitement? And emotion?)

2015 - Can't Feel My Face by The Weeknd (Fanfic is the only reason I know about this.)

2016 - Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul (I see 'Cheap Thrills' and immediately think Big Brother & the Holding Company and Janis Joplin. That's how into Classic Rock I was.)

2017 - Despacito by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber (I want to set all of this on fire.)

2018 - In My Feelings by Drake (Whatever.)

I wish I could transplant some of the top rock songs because at least I KNOW them. Yeah, current music? What is that? I don't know her.

• Love 1

I can't hear "Macarena" without thinking about all the middle school dances I went to. Hell, they even played it at my senior prom in 2003. "Cotton-Eyed Joe" was another very popular one at school dances when I was a kid (why, I don't know), as was that "C'mon N' Ride It (The Train)" song.

3 hours ago, Dandesun said:

I wish I could transplant some of the top rock songs because at least I KNOW them. Yeah, current music? What is that? I don't know her.

I know most of the songs in your 2000s list, but the only ones I really like from it are "Crazy in Love", "Disturbia", and "Fallin'" (and that one's on my list, too, so yay). There is a lot of current music I do like, including some top 40 stuff, but yeah, a lot of those particular 2000s songs from your list are kinda "eh" to me. 

I also chuckled at your comments regarding "The Boy is Mine". Fair point :p. I do like that song, though-I was really into it when I was a teenager. 

And no shame in liking "Genie in a Bottle" :D. 

• Love 1

I'll back away slowly now...

Just kidding. She's really grown on me. I know she has her flaws, but ever since Manchester two years ago I just want her to be happy. And honestly, I think she HAS gotten better at enunciation, at least on a lot of her more recent songs, like "No Tears Left to Cry", "God is a Woman", and "Breathin'" (which is WAY underrated, IMO). 

But mileage varies, of course.

Brought to the front of my mind from hearing a remix track. I used to think that there were specific rules for remixes. Like, if you did this to a song, you called the remix that. But as I got older, I realised that no two remixes ever had the same title no matter what was done to them. Thankfully I never wasted my time trying to keep track or make sense of it all.

Not to hate, but I’ve been wondering why Ariana is rolling out a new album when she just came out with Sweetener not even a year ago. Then I went and looked at the sales.

Apparently Sweetener flopped. It hasn’t even gone Gold, it doesn’t appear. This new album might do better with Thank You Next bring such a big single, but I don’t know. Ariana can’t seem to decide if she wants to play the blythe, barely-trying diva, or the spoiled, sexy ingenue. 

Edited by 27bored
4 hours ago, 27bored said:

Not to hate, but I’ve been wondering why Ariana is rolling out a new album when she just came out with Sweetenrr not even a year ago. Then I went and looked st the sales.

Apparently Sweetener flopped. It hasn’t even gone Gold, it doesn’t appear. This new album might do better with Thank You Next bring such a big single, but I don’t know. Ariana can’t seem to decide if she wants to play the blythe, barely-trying diva, or the spoiled, sexy ingenue. 

Shit...I thought Thank U, Next and 7 Rings were from Sweetener.  Shows how on the pulse I am.

In other news, I checked out the Weezer cover album today, and I thought it was the most uninspired thing I ever heard.  It's just the original songs with a bit of distorted guitar.  I don't know why they bothered.

Edited by Shakma
On 2/1/2019 at 12:16 AM, Shakma said:

Shit...I thought Thank U, Next and 7 Rings were from Sweetener.  Shows how on the pulse I am.

No, "No Tears Left To Cry", "The Light is Coming", "God is a Woman", and "Breathin'" are all from Sweetener (and they're all great); the other three are from the upcoming Thank U, Next, which comes out next Friday.

And Sweetener did NOT flop; it debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, and all three singles performed pretty well. It's just that TUN took her to the next level (and after everything that's happened with her personally these last few months, it could just be that she felt more inspiration and wanted to go ahead and do another album--and good for her!).

Anyway, I know this isn't the UO thread, but it looks like I'm still one of the only people who still likes Ariana here, a lot of which really started after the attack in Manchester at her concert. If you guys want to ban me to the UO thread for talking nicely about her here, I'll leave! lol 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

While I think the Manchester bombing was a horrifying thing that no one should have had to experience, I still don't think Sweetener is a great album.  It has some good songs on it, but I'm just not seeing the greatness.  I'm sorry.

Edited by Shakma
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Shakma said:

While I think the Manchester bombing was a horrifying thing that no one should have had to experience, I still don't think Sweetener is a great album.  It has some good songs on it, but I'm just not seeing the greatness.  I'm sorry.

I think Manchester kind of white washed Ariana's reputation. She's still the girl who insisted on being carried instead of walking, she's still the girl who licked the donuts, she's still the girl who said "I hate Americans. I hate America", she's still the girl who insists on only being photographed or interviewed from her left side. Just because something terrible happened in her life (& remember, it didn't actually happen to her, she was there when it happened to other people), doesn't change anything. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Shakma said:

No, I'M sorry! I must have come across like a crazy stan earlier. I'm not at all. I wasn't always a big fan, either, although I've always had songs of hers that I like. I've just grown to like her more in these last two years. I know about some of the things she's done before, but sometimes, I'll admit, I feel like female pop stars get WAY too much crap, the kind that male artists NEVER get (or are constantly compared to the "right" kind of female pop stars, namely Taylor Swift, which isn't fair, either), and I'm trying to evolve on that front, even if it means less snark. *shrug* 

I've only ever heard Ariana Grande's name in conjunction with licking donuts and the Manchester bombing, never with, you know, a song, so this discussion got me curious to see if I'd ever heard anything of hers without knowing who it was.  I made it through about a minute each of three different videos (from the list that came up when I put "Ariana Grande songs" into Google) and she came off like a vapid twit in each of them.  She also doesn't have much of a voice.  Color me unimpressed. 

2 hours ago, GaT said:

she's still the girl who insists on only being photographed or interviewed from her left side

OMG, that was so strange just from the small bits of her videos I watched.  I wanted to reach through the monitor and hold her damn face straight!

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Bastet said:

She also doesn't have much of a voice.  Color me unimpressed. 

She has a big range, but she doesn't enunciate so I never know what she's saying. She's mumbles her way through every song.

55 minutes ago, Bastet said:

OMG, that was so strange just from the small bits of her videos I watched.  I wanted to reach through the monitor and hold her damn face straight!

I don't know if this was one of the videos you watched, but it should be watched just for the left side thing. It makes me laugh. Even when you see what looks like the right side of here face, it's only because they flipped the recording.

Tonight, UYI tries to restore her reputation in music circles after admitting she doesn't hate Ariana Grande! Can she pull it off? (But seriously, y'all must think I have trash taste now, oh well. I like Meghan Trainor, too, which might make things even worse. lol)

Are there any other Kacey Musgraves fans here? She's nominated for a bunch of Grammys this year, including for Album of the Year, and for this song, "Butterflies". Nearly a year after it's release, I think it's still my favorite song off of Golden Hour, outside of "Oh, What a World" or "High Horse".

As always, come discuss her with me in the country thread if you want. :)

Edited by UYI

I like Kacey Musgraves, a lot.  I think she is everything Taylor Swift tried to be, back when she was country.  Taylor was the darling, but Kacey is the real deal.  Her stuff has more soul in it, not so calculating.

Meghan Trainor just frustrates me.  I think she has a great voice, and an adorable stage presence, but she keeps writing terrible songs.  Also, "wifey for lifey" is just wrong, lol.

Edited by Shakma
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Shakma said:

I like Kacey Musgraves, a lot.  I think she is everything Taylor Swift tried to be, back when she was country.  Taylor was the darling, but Kacey is the real deal.  Her stuff has more soul in it, not so calculating.

Meghan Trainor just frustrates me.  I think she has a great voice, and an adorable stage presence, but she keeps writing terrible songs.  Also, "wifey for lifey" is just wrong, lol.

I'm sorry if I sounded stupid earlier. I know we all have our own favorites and unfavorites, but I know in some cases liking certain people can piss some people off (not to mention that there are people here who don't like modern pop music, due to age or whatever else) so I want to careful not to do that here, like I feel like I did when I posted about Ariana here earlier, lol. I don't want people mad at me/cause unnecessary trouble around here, ever. :)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

Will check out that clip of Kasey's soon here-I should give her music in general a proper listen sometime. I've heard so many good things. 

As for the other artists you mention, @UYI, I only know a few of their more popular songs, myself, but I haven't minded them. Honestly, some of the pop music out today doesn't sound all that different from the stuff I listened to back when I was a teenager (and which I still like even now), so I'm not gonna judge. People should like whatever music they want to like, regardless of whether it's "cool" or not :). If you have fun listening to it, at the end of the day, that's the most important thing. 

ETA that the above comments are meant in a general sense. Not targeting anyone here in particular or anything like that. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, UYI said:

I'm sorry if I sounded stupid earlier. I know we all have our own favorites and unfavorites, but I know in some cases liking certain people can piss some people off (not to mention that there are people here who don't like modern pop music, due to age or whatever else) so I want to careful not to do that here, like I feel like I did when I posted about Ariana here earlier, lol. I don't want people mad at me/cause unnecessary trouble around here, ever. :)

You don't sound stupid, and no one is mad at you.  We're all just sharing our opinions of the artists who are mentioned.  If it sounds like I'm trying to prove you "wrong", I apologize.  That is not my intent, I'm just talking.

Edited by Shakma
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, UYI said:

No, "No Tears Left To Cry", "The Light is Coming", "God is a Woman", and "Breathin'" are all from Sweetener (and they're all great); the other three are from the upcoming Thank U, Next, which comes out next Friday.

And Sweetener did NOT flop; it debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, and all three singles performed pretty well. It's just that TUN took her to the next level (and after everything that's happened with her personally these last few months, it could just be that she felt more inspiration and wanted to go ahead and do another album--and good for her!).

Anyway, I know this isn't the UO thread, but it looks like I'm still one of the only people who still likes Ariana here, a lot of which really started after the attack in Manchester at her concert. If you guys want to ban me to the UO thread for talking nicely about her here, I'll leave! lol 

Her album debuting high and having singles that performed well...doesn't exactly mean the album wasn't a flop. The project didn't go Platinum, unlike her prior albums, and given that Ariana is A Priority for her label, and likely commands a large budget (e.g., the "God is a Woman" video), they expect her to do numbers, not just okay. The fact that the album didn't even go Gold kind of says something.

A good example of this is Katy Perry. She had a big album, a big roll-out, and it flopped even though she debuted at #1.

I really feel like the problem is, around album #4 or 5, artists start thinking they need to show they're still relevant by either going sociopolitical or sexpot, when they really need to show that they're good. I need a vocal album from Katy and Ariana, not Ever Since I Found Out What Feminism Is I'm Woke With Miley's Old Haircut and I'm Famous Now So All I Have To Do Is Sing Along To The Reference Track And Hit A Few High Notes, You Know, If I Feel Like It.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Shakma said:

You don't sound stupid, and no one is mad at you.  We're all just sharing our opinions of the artists who are mentioned.  If it sounds like I'm trying to prove you "wrong", I apologize.  That is not my intent, I'm just talking.

No it's okay, I worry about everything, and am probably just too sensitive. I have to stop that and just calm down more. :)

Anyway, here's a fun thing to do: when you go to Billboard's website, you can put in a date and find out whatever songs were in the Hot 100 or albums were in the Billboard 200. For example, 30 years ago today (February 2nd, 1989), the number one song in the country was "When I'm With You" by Sheriff, and the number one album was Bobby Brown's Don't Be Cruel. 

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1989-02-04

https://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200/1989-02-04

Just click on "Date Search" and pick a random date! 

1 hour ago, 27bored said:

Her album debuting high and having singles that performed well...doesn't exactly mean the album wasn't a flop. The project didn't go Platinum, unlike her prior albums, and given that Ariana is A Priority for her label, and likely commands a large budget (e.g., the "God is a Woman" video), they expect her to do numbers, not just okay. The fact that the album didn't even go Gold kind of says something.

A good example of this is Katy Perry. She had a big album, a big roll-out, and it flopped even though she debuted at #1.

I'm honestly a bit shocked by that. I'll admit that I was busy these last few months and lost track of some of the charts until a bit more recently, but with the airplay she had/is still getting now, I really thought Sweetener sold a LOT more. And you're right, debuting at number one doesn't have to mean anything; it certainly didn't mean much for Katy Perry, as you pointed out (she's someone else who has grown on me more recently, and I'm probably one of about five people on Earth who thought Taylor Swift returning her music to Spotify on the same day Katy released Witness was cruel, immature, and petty in the worst way possible--talk about kicking someone when they didn't need to be kicked any further).

At the same time, though, saying that Sweetener was a flop doesn't feel as accurate as it does for Witness. Maybe "underperformed" is the better word here?

With the success of the two TUN singles so far, though, I'm curious if she'll do better in regards to album sales this time around, especially since it comes out this Friday (and of course, "7 Rings" going to number one probably--again, pretty much like you said--probably had A LOT to do with the hype of being a brand new single; I can see it continue to get good streaming numbers, but radio may be turned off by it and it could drop from number one pretty fast, although I can see the album's release being this Friday MAYBE giving it one more week at the top). 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Shakma said:

Ha!  And yes.  I only know All About That Bass (meh) and Like I'm Gonna Lose You (terrific), and I don't particularly care what stupid choices she makes in her personal life by getting married young, but when I saw that "wifey for lifey" shit quoted in another thread, I damn near needed medical attention for my sprained eyeballs.

3 hours ago, UYI said:

I don't want people mad at me/cause unnecessary trouble around here, ever. :)

Please stop apologizing every time you express an opinion on an inherently subjective topic because someone out there might disagree with it.  You like a wider variety of music than the average person your age, pay attention to the charts, and like what you like/don't like what you don't like; that's not trouble, it's discussion.

• Love 6

60 years ago today: The Day the Music Died, and the day a tragic plane crash took the lives of Buddy Holly, J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson, and Ritchie Valens in Clear Lake, Iowa, on their way to a concert in Moorhead, Minnesota.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Music_Died

It, of course, inspired the song "American Pie" by Don McLean, which spent four weeks at number one in 1972.

Waylon Jennings was a member of Buddy Holly's band at the time. Buddy had grown annoyed by the bus, which lacked heat, and the way their tour was set up meant that they frequently traveled over 300-350 miles, depending on the city, between gigs. Because of that, he chartered a plane to take him and his band to Fargo, North Dakota (which is right next to Moorhead) and then meet everyone else there for the concert. Richardson (The Big Bopper) was supposed to have had the flu, and convinced him to give up his plane seat to him (Richardson) instead. When Buddy found out, he said to Waylon, jokingly of course: "Well, I hope your ol' bus freezes up." Waylon's response: "Well, I hope your ol' plane crashes." (Again, he was obviously only joking.)

It would haunt him until the day he died in 2002. 

Meanwhile, it is said a coin toss was what decided that Ritchie Valens would take the plane over Holly's guitar player, Tommy Allsup. 

A poster advertising the Winter Dance Party Tour they were on, and reminder of what would have been.

Finally, a Behind the Music episode on the Day the Music Died.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2