Type keyword(s) to search

The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion)

• Start Topic

Okay people I have found the song I was looking for. True story, I was in Walgreen's standing in the pharmacy line. This is the first place I heard the song ever. So I was thinking to myself, what if it plays again. As soon as I paid for my order, the song came on. I heard the whole thing this time. Went home and googled the lyrics.

Nick and Vinz-In Your Arms

• Love 2
14 hours ago, dr. gailey said:

Okay people I have found the song I was looking for. True story, I was in Walgreen's standing in the pharmacy line. This is the first place I heard the song ever. So I was thinking to myself, what if it plays again. As soon as I paid for my order, the song came on. I heard the whole thing this time. Went home and googled the lyrics.

Nick and Vinz-In Your Arms

I  love Nico and Vinz!  I play their cd all the time.

So, on Rolling Stone's site, a truly strange article has an oral history. Of what, you wonder?

Why, an oral history of that most cheesetastic tune from 1992, Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy". Yes, I said an oral history about Right Said Fred and "I'm Too Sexy".

Our lives are now complete, people!

• Love 2

I need to start this off by saying I do not, in general, like rap music (though there are exceptions), and I don't know any of Young Thug's music, but his bit in Camila Cabello's "Havana" fits in perfectly (even though I don't understand a thing he's saying, other than "Jeffrey").

Posting this here because I couldn't find a video thread. So 50s, I love the bubble gum colors and how the story in the clip is about a life that really is not the typical 50s (or is it 60s?).  And Channing Tatum features, of course. And the credits are awesome.

• Love 5

I was going to post about the Creep thing in the Plagiarism topic but I don't know where that went. In the context of those other cases, I'm not sure. I mean, I definitely hear it at the beginning of the song. But without the sheet music, my ear isn't sophisticated enough to know if it's just sharing similar chords or something like that. And I think the rest of the song transforms any similarities into something very different. To me it's not as blatant as say One Direction or something that uses a sample. 

http://ew.com/music/2018/01/08/lana-del-rey-radiohead-lawsuit/

If true, it is weird that they wouldn't take 40% when they had to settle their own lawsuit over Creep so it's odd they think they should be entitled to 100%. 

I haven't liked her since she made that comment about wanting to go out like Kurt Cobain and Frances Bean promptly took her out for it.  She's seemed like a petulant, whiny celebrity since then so I haven't gone back to listen to anything.

Any other fans?

I absolutely love her. I wish she had had more success with the singles from The Weight of These Wings, but in a weird way that lack of chart success may actually lead to more creative freedom for her in the long run.

These are four of my favorite songs of hers:

Alright, fine, here are two more favorites.

19 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Todd just came out with his top ten of the year.  And his number one just left me scratching my head.

Really? I predicted it all along. I was THRILLED! 

But YMMV, of course. :)

On 10/24/2017 at 1:07 AM, Sandman87 said:

That's Bo Diddly's signature beat right there.

David Bowie (on my musical Mount Rushmore) used a salsa variation of the "Bo Diddley" beat on his incredible "Panic in Detroit" from Aladdin Sane:  

Sorry for three posts in a row, last one for the night.  Just wanted to share a beautiful Joni Mitchell track "Edith and the Kingpin" from one of her many outstanding albums "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" (1975).  Such a lush and sultry 70s vibe, with that beautiful creamy guitar tone from one of my favorites Larry Carlton on his ES-335.

Beautiful song (written by Leon Russell) performed by one of the greatest soul vocalists ever (and an exceptional pianist/keyboard arranger as well) -- Donny Hathaway.  "A Song For You"

And a great live performance from another soul legend:

• Love 1

I wasn't sure where topost this, but I guess here is as good as any place. I had MTV on in the background & I heard a song that sounded familiar but wrong. This is the song, Don't Think About It by Justine Skye

It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what was so familiar about it until I finally thought of this song, You Don't Know Me ft. RAYE by Jax Jones

Listen to You Don't Know Me at 0:45 & then listen to Don't Think About It at 1:33. Is it just me or is the music the same, just slowed down in Don't Think About It?

Tomorrow night, Justin Timberlake will be performing in the Super Bowl Halftime Show, but a lot of other people are choosing instead to appreciate someone else who had the same show a long time ago.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, 27bored said:

Child, please. Rihanna is entering her 14th minute of fame. I saw her on the Grammys. She’s already starting to look like somebody’s sexy auntie.

In my defense, that wasn't my tweet. :)

I can't help it, I still love her and think she looks great. I turn 29 in two days; I'll look to her (not JUST her, mind you) as hope for my big 3-0 next year. 

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, because, there's not really a thread on classic rock, Zeppelin, Robert Plant, etc.  So, I'm putting it here.  It's an interview of Robert Plant by Dan Rather.  It sounded so odd, I thought it was a mistake. but, it's not.  I only saw just a bit, before I had to get a project finished. I hope to pick it back up and watch in its entirety tomorrow.  I think it aired originally last night. 

http://www.axs.tv/originals/the-big-interview-robertplant-sp/

• Love 1

"We need to start a girl riot."

The words--spoken to in a letter by Bratmobile band member Jen Smith wrote to friend/fellow band member, Allison Wolfe--that launched a movement as much as it did a subgenre of punk rock in the early 90's.

I REALLY wish a Riot Grrrl revival would take place, especially now.

Your place for talk about the Riot Grrrl bands and legends that made up the movement. Bikini Kill, Sleater-Kinney, all of them.

It should be noted, however, that Hole was technically NOT a part of the Riot Grrrl movement, with Courtney Love criticizing certain aspects of it many times, and even mocking them in the Hole song "Rock Star (Olympia)"

And I must recommend The Punk Singer, a terrific documentary on Kathleen Hanna, available on Netflix.

GIRLS TO THE FRONT! 

20 years ago today, country music lost its First Lady. I thought of posting this in the country thread only, but her fame transcended the country music industry enough that I thought it was appropriate to post this here. Tammy Wynette was only 55 when she passed away, but her voice lives on. (And yes, that is her in my avatar, also pictured below.)

Today is also the day 2 years ago that her friend Merle Haggard passed away...a day that was also his 79th birthday. Compared to some of the other celebrity deaths of 2016, Merle's tends to be a bit over-looked (not helped by the fact that Prince died very shortly after he did), but his fame also transcended country music enough to warrant mentioning that here, too. 

So here's a clip of them performing together...and clip of him performing at her memorial service. ("That's the best I could do, and it's not very good, but...Goodbye, Tammy.")

tammy1.jpg

• Love 2

One more thing:

Dolly Parton's speech and performance at Tammy's memorial service, which was held three days after her passing (there was a private funeral earlier in the day, then this, a public memorial service at the Ryman Auditorium, which was broadcast live on both TNN and CNN). If you haven't seen this before now, fair warning: you may start crying around 9:30. I know I always do.

• Love 2

I'm watching the video for "Finesse" by Bruno Mars & started wondering about all the dancers. All of them are about the same height as Bruno, & when you watch his other videos, you see the same thing. It's probably not a problem with the females, but do you think they have trouble finding male dancers that short all the time? I wouldn't think there are a ton of 5'5" dancers around to choose from.

Ryan Adams has Meniere's disease, and he performs, so whatever that's worth.

On 4/10/2018 at 1:07 AM, GaT said:

I'm watching the video for "Finesse" by Bruno Mars & started wondering about all the dancers. All of them are about the same height as Bruno, & when you watch his other videos, you see the same thing. It's probably not a problem with the females, but do you think they have trouble finding male dancers that short all the time? I wouldn't think there are a ton of 5'5" dancers around to choose from.

I wonder if he has a group of dancers he works with a lot in part because it might be hard to find male dancers the right height.

6 hours ago, GaT said:

Danielle Bregoli, has been nominated for a Billboard Music Award, under her rap name Bhad Bhabie for Top Rap Female Artist. Along with Cardi B & Nicki Minaj. How did that happen? I mean really, how did that happen? 

that's not Billboard's fault, cause their nominations are mostly based on stats and she charted. So the people who streamed her songs are at fault lol.

• Love 1