Type keyword(s) to search

The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion)

• Start Topic

Look who's back!

Sorry not sorry, I'm happy to see her again. This lyric video is weird, which makes me wonder how weird the official video is going to be, but I'll still happy to see her again.

And if this keeps Girl Squad Barbie in hiding for awhile longer, well hey! I can't complain about that. 

• Love 1

"turn it up, it's your favorite song. Dance, dance, dance to the distortion"

No, just no. You can't try to rhyme song & distortion & not expect me to hate you.

Tiny cooking videos are all over YouTube, I find them very soothing. Usually.

I was running into every thread to find someone else talking about Al.  One of the most distinctive voices, and, as noted above, singer of one of the best TV themes ever.

Thoughts & prayers to his friends and family.  Another part of my youth, gone. ?

On 1/17/2017 at 2:00 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I have to believe/pretend the above tweets are chock full of sarcasm. I. Have. To. For the sake of what little sanity I possess.

I'm not on Twitter so I could be way wrong, but I can't imagine people would be talking that cheesily about actual new artists, so that's why it came off as jokey to me.

On 1/17/2017 at 0:26 PM, Shannon L. said:

I remember the first time I started hearing my childhood favorites on oldies stations and yeah, it gets worse.  Wait till you hear them in commercials!

One of the "oldies" stations where I live is playing music from the '60s-'80s, and the reason that bothers me isn't because it's playing music from my childhood, but because it doesn't fit in with what I'd always understood the meaning of "oldies" to be.  I never thought "oldies" were simply songs that were old.  I always thought "oldies" was the music made when rock as we know it was fairly new.  So stuff from the '50s-early 70s.  (That may simply be because that's what oldies stations played when I was a kid.)  I don't know what I'd call music from between then and the '90s, but "oldies" isn't it.  I feel like in the '90s, we simply called music from the '80's "'80's music."

Oh.  Wikipedia has rescued me.  I was concerned I was alone in my distinction but:  In the 1980s and 1990s, "oldies" meant the 15 years from the birth of rock n roll to the beginning of the singer-songwriter era of the early 1970s, or about 1955 to 1972, although this varied and some stations chose 1950–1969.[citation needed] After 2000, 1970s music was increasingly included,[1] and early 1980s music is beginning to also be called "oldies", though the term "classic hits" is used to distinguish the "new" oldies (the Generation X oldies) from the "old" oldies (the Baby Boomer oldies).

Edited by janie jones

I guess being born in 1999 I would consider an oldie something different than someone born in the 60's, 70's, or even the 80's. I guess it would be the same as even a kid younger than me say being born in 2010 thinking a Nirvana song as an oldie. I don't really look at it as oldies, but more of what fits into your generation. I can listen to most anything, but really what I relate to the most is what my generation or friends are relating to so that is what I listen to the most. Now of course there are some of today's music I don't particularly like and I avoid, but I get into most of it. I can also listen to The Beatles if I am in the mood for that, Led Zeppelin, The Smiths, or Nirvana which are all from different generations and certainly not mine, but if the music is good I will listen to it.

The official video for "Chained to the Rhythm" by Katy Perry is up now. She's never been afraid of doing the occasional weird or bizarre looking video, and this one is no exception. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

That's fucking horrible. He's only what? Mid-60's or something? Crazy.

Unfortunately, alcohol can hasten that condition.  :-( Both David Cassidy and his late father, Jack Cassidy, had difficulties with alcoholism. Sad that he is so young, though.

On a side note, he made our local news here in upstate NY a few years back, having had to appear in some small-town courtroom because of a DUI he had up here. Apparently, he had to pay a fine and, even with his legal issues, I guess he was nothing but kind to those who approached him.

Just read, after covering 1989 by Taylor Swift (not a fan, but neither here nor there), Ryan Adams has covered an Alice In Chains song, "Down In A Hole". Haven't listened, but am hesitant. Love the original, but Adams is very hit and miss for me. Oh, well. Maybe I'll try it out of curiosity.  :-)

It turns out that I have turned into an old pearl-clutching lady because I watched a few clips from the Kid's Choice Awards and was absolutely baffled and bothered by Machine Gun Kelly performing for an audience full of kids. I get that Machine Gun Kelly is about as tough as a tissue, but it really actually bothers me that someone with that name is at an awards show specifically targeted to children. I have no problem with his silly name otherwise, but when I saw his performance at the KCA, it immediately felt wrong to me. Do kids need to be cheering for Machine Gun Kelly? Do we need to make deadly firearms fun and normal for the grade two crowd? It just felt wrong. Not crazy facebook protest wrong, but wrong enough that I needed to get it out somewhere and here seemed like the place for it.

• Love 1

There's a retro radio station in my area; every time I hear Blondie's "Call Me," I have an urge to watch American Gigolo, just to see Richard Gere matching his Armani.

And who knew the 1980s were "classic." 

Since I'm here ... I remember walking into a record store (yes, vinyl), and they had a huge TV screen in the corner showing videos. We were mesmerized by the chick with the two-tone hair. And now Debbie Harry is 71 (!).

Edited by ennui

I think we need to solve the problem known as Katy Perry. Y'all need to let her go. It's because of her that Sara Bareilles and Jessie J can't really catch on. The former is earnest and intelligent and kinda cool, the latter can sing circles around damn near anybody and charismatic and sexy. But we want hold on to Katy Perry and her big boobs and goofy, theater major face? Booo!

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, 27bored said:

I think we need to solve the problem known as Katy Perry. Y'all need to let her go. It's because of her that Sara Bareilles and Jessie J can't really catch on. The former is earnest and intelligent and kinda cool, the latter can sing circles around damn near anybody and charismatic and sexy. But we want hold on to Katy Perry and her big boobs and goofy, theater major face? Booo!

I'll be the person who is okay with Katy Perry and her big boobs (I have big boobs, too, although not as big as hers). I'll hide in a dark corner from you now. ;)

But seriously, I love that she has a song out there right now about the resistance, and that she's putting her money where her mouth in regards to issues like Planned Parenthood.

I do like Sara Bareilles too, though. :) 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, 27bored said:

goofy, theater major face?

"Theater major face" fits Katy Perry perfectly.  I wondered what it was about her that annoyed me, and that's it.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, 27bored said:

But I like Katy Perry, and she's very nice to look at, too.  :)

• Love 1

13 hours ago, 27bored said:

Katy Perry's music was always ok to me.  Catchy, but I could take it or leave it.  But, she won my heart in the above performance with the young autistic girl standing next to her.  I love the rendition of the song and think she's never looked more beautiful (even with her cleavage on display :)  I couldn't find a video with just the song, so if you want to skip to 2:50, it will start shortly after that.  Basically, Jodi suffers from autism and music was her way of connecting with people.  Katy is her favorite singer. 

Oh geez. So now everybody wants to be gay for Katy Perry? She really has hypnotized everybody with her big stupid boobs. It's my fault for not impressing upon everyone the gravity of the situation. Have you guys seen her perform live? With the sound off she looks like a drunk chick doing karaoke. With the sound on she sounds...not much different. Here's her doing "Whip My Hair" (!):

She has Snoballs covering her hoo-ha, people!

I have no opinion about Katy Perry or those of her ilk. But consider I came of age in the late '80s/early '90s with hair metal and grunge (though I did like '80s pop, too!), so there you go.

Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, and the like are all sort of "Get Off My Damn Lawn!" territory. (This is not to say I've never at least heard of some of their stuff, but it all seems like overproduced bubble gum schtick, to me. But that's me!)

Hmm, ironically, I guess that was an opinion. Oh, well. I don't hate it, but I don't love it or really care about it. It's out there, many like it. Let it take over terrestrial radio or whatever and I'll stay in my time warp on Sirius XM! And everybody wins!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, 27bored said:

Oh geez. So now everybody wants to be gay for Katy Perry? She really has hypnotized everybody with her big stupid boobs. It's my fault for not impressing upon everyone the gravity of the situation. Have you guys seen her perform live? With the sound off she looks like a drunk chick doing karaoke. With the sound on she sounds...not much different. Here's her doing "Whip My Hair" (!):

She has Snoballs covering her hoo-ha, people!

I think it depends on the live performance, honestly. She can be perfectly fine, as long as she stays in her range.

If anything, Taylor Swift is a MUCH worse live performer. She's the one who embarrassed herself in front of Stevie Nicks at the Grammys in 2010.

And as for the big boobs:

No, I'm not gay for Katy Perry, I was just pointing out, as someone who has big boobs herself, how difficult it is not to be seen as showing them off, even if you're usually pretty shy or reserved like me. I would LOVE to have long legs like Taylor Swift, and the ability to not worry about looking fat in a outfit. There are things Taylor can wear because she's tall and skinny that I could NEVER wear as a shorter, curvier, bustier woman without being seen as too daring or some such nonsense. If anything, some of Taylor's outfits/poses from the last tour she did would have had me mistaking her for a high class stripper if I hadn't known who she was. But again, because of her body type, she can get away with certain outfits that the so-called family values crowds who wuvs her so much would scream "OUTRAGE!" over with someone with larger boobs like Katy's.

Anyway, I'm sorry, I'm veering off topic a bit. I'm Taylor's age, though, and blonde-haired and blue-eyed. It's hard not to feel like an ogre next to her sometimes. And sometimes I feel like I would be taken more seriously if I had her build. Sigh. :( 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 5

Put me in the Katy can stay column too. I'm not in love with the new music she's put out but the girl does have a good ear for a pop hook, seems to have a handle on her image and is fun. I don't think she's a great singer but certainly not the worst pop girl currently in the game. Besides being able to sing doesn't always matter for pop stars. She has a great connection with her fans. It's fun, silly and good most of the time. She's got her problems (dressing up like a geisha, UR so Gay etc) but she also has many upsides. (she's been very open about how she's lacking in formal education and seeks out educational opportunities as an adult because in Katy Perry's world being smart isn't a bad thing, so much charity work with children, her political activism etc.) And I don't care about the boobs one way of the other.

I don't believe for a second Katy's success is costing someone else. Katy went five years between her last album and her new music. There was time for someone like Jessie J to breakout and she didn't. She can stay. Teenage Dream is a modern pop masterpiece.

• Love 8

Carrie Underwood just left Sony Music after a decade to join Capitol Nashville which is a part of the Universal Music Group.  

I don't know if it'll be big news here, but it's huge news in country music.  I couldn't believe the headline when I saw it.  I thought she'd never leave Sony.

Edited by Stuffy
3 hours ago, Stuffy said:

Carrie Underwood just left Sony Music after a decade to join Capitol Nashville which is a part of the Universal Music Group.  

I don't know if it'll be big news here, but it's huge news in country music.  I couldn't believe the headline when I saw it.  I thought she'd never leave Sony.

Saving Country Music's Kyle "Trigger" Coroneos wrote a whole article about it:

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/this-feels-big-carrie-underwood-exits-sony-for-universal/

I don't mind Katy Perry, but I was really surprised to find she's had so many #1s (8). More than Taylor (4) and Beyonce (5). I find her music just ok. That "Do you feel like a plastic bag" line from Firework is the worst, though. I cringe every time I hear it. I saw a clip of her singing California Girls on SNL once and she sounded so awful. 

Edited by JustaPerson
1 hour ago, JustaPerson said:

I don't mind Katy Perry, but I was really surprised to find she's had so many #1s (8). More than Taylor (4) and Beyonce (5). I find her music just ok. That "Do you feel like a plastic bag" line from Firework is the worst, though. I cringe every time I hear it. I saw a clip of her singing California Girls on SNL once and she sounded so awful. 

Taylor had a few #1s on the country charts, too.

1 hour ago, JustaPerson said:

"Do you feel like a plastic bag" is a throwback to the movie American Beauty.

(edited)

My disdain for Katy Perry is semi-tongue-in-cheek, but I do think she's...kind of annoying. The thing that I find annoying about is sort of what I find annoying about most of the female pop stars of this generation, in that I feel like their every move is calculated and meant to get a reaction. I feel like back in the day Britney and Christina had to be a lot braver than chicks these days and had to deal with a lot more of the "what example are you setting for young girls?" BS than people like Katy Perry. And yet, I feel like female pop stars of today are way more douchey about it.

I do think there's a certain amount of keeping your competition out of the limelight that goes on, both intentionally and not. I feel like there are smart, good pop musicians who are left on the sidelines because of their more mainstream counterparts. Like I said, I'd rather hear from Jessie J, Sara Bareilles, Colbie Caillat, and Tori Kelly than Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, and Taylor Swift...but the latter get way more attention.

As for Carrie, good for her. That article said her label pushed Miranda Lambert more than her? That seems...crazy. Like, I believe it's true, but why? I've heard a handful of Lambert's songs and heard her sing on the Grammys once, and I think I said she sounds like an actress who decided to make a country record. It makes no sense for them to push her over Carrie, unless they're just focusing on the trashy angle. Plus, Lambert was married to Blake Shelton and now is dating Anderson East (btw, you guys should check him out...he's a country boy, but he makes this soulful R&B rock type music, his album "Delilah" is good and he's a more interesting artist than either Blake or Miranda). Carrie's a bit more put together professionally and personally, so maybe there isn't much of an angle to work there besides, "listen to Carrie outsing everybody you know".

ETA: I've heard people say "Run Away With Me" by Carly Rae Jepsen is one of the best pop songs in years. It's strangely addictive, but is it that good?

Edited by 27bored

Not really anything to do with anything, but I think it's interesting that Miranda Lambert got her big break on Nashville Star, & Carrie Underwood got hers on American Idol. They're both from reality competition shows.

On 3/25/2017 at 7:03 PM, 27bored said:

Isn't Sara Baraellies the one who sings that nonsense song Brave that they use in that car commercial? Because if so, thanks for letting me put a name to that annoyance. :-)

• Love 2