Type keyword(s) to search

S34: Debbie Wanner

Jabu
  • Start Topic

(edited)
6 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I don't care if Debbie is mother to cubs or kids. She's batshit crazy.

You have two choices as an older woman not attached to "normal" (mom) or at least married.  You can be pretty much 

ignorned, used as vote or ally but basically invisible, no one expects you to have an an opinion, something of value to bring to the table or to care when they look right through you. And in the case of survivor vote you out when convenient.  Or, you can speak up.  In order to speak up and not have people like "what was that?  did you hear something? You have to push your weight around, yell, cause a scene and then suddenly - oh there she is - dayum she is crazy. 

Edited by Giesela
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Giesela said:

You have two choices as an older woman not attached to "normal" (mom) or at least married.  You can be pretty much 

ignorned, used as vote or ally but basically invisible, no one expects you to have an an opinion, something of value to bring to the table or to care when they look right through you. And in the case of survivor vote you out when convenient.  Or, you can speak up.  In order to speak up and not have people like "what was that?  did you hear something? You have to push your weight around, yell, cause a scene and then suddenly - oh there she is - dayum she is crazy. 

4 hours ago, 303420 said:

To me, Debbie is like dozens of criminals who assume they'll never get caught and figure it'll be no big deal if they do; they'll get a slap on the wrist or they'll explain it away. I drive really fast a lot of the time (the only way I'll ever drive at or under the speed limit is if I'm stuck in traffic), and I've been known to smoke pot in states where it's not legal. Part of the reason I'm willing to break those laws is that the consequences of doing so, particularly in combination with the likelihood of me being caught, is not an effective deterrent to me. On the other hand, I don't take pot outside of Colorado because the consequence if caught is too high (interstate trafficking). But I have plenty of friends who don't think twice about it. Anyway, in my experience, Debbie's particular felony is not indicia of her being dangerous to her tribemates.

Please reconsider that in residential areas and school zones, if nothing else.  Smoking pot where it's illegal doesn't endanger others.  Significant speeding does.  

2 hours ago, Vyk said:

Kass is a mom?  I never heard of her having children.

I think she has one daughter, too.  

The anger Debbie directed at Haley reminded me of how much Shambo hated Laura.

I always wondered what an older version of Shambo would be like if she ever returned to play the game.

Now I know.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Please reconsider that in residential areas and school zones, if nothing else.  Smoking pot where it's illegal doesn't endanger others.  Significant speeding does.  

Cheers and yes. The truth is that I only really speed on the highway. I live in a mountain town where slow speed is the norm. I'm just bloviating.

(edited)
14 hours ago, Giesela said:

In order to speak up and not have people like "what was that?  did you hear something? You have to push your weight around, yell, cause a scene and then suddenly - oh there she is - dayum she is crazy. 

I think what Debbie did in this episode was quite a bit away from a simple 'yell and cause a scene' situation. She went into seriously OTT bananas territory.

I do agree that older women, particularly moms, have it much harder on this show than virtually any other group, but I just don't see any evidence from the viewers on this site or the players in the game that Debbie is getting a raw deal because of her older age/mom-ness. She had several OTT, spoiled, immature, delusional tirades in the span of at most 3 days and that is what people are commenting on. I feel pretty confident if Hali or Sierra did the same thing they'd get some "Girl be crazy!" comments, too.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 10
15 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I do agree that older women, particularly moms, have it much harder on this show than virtually any other group, but I just don't see any evidence from the viewers on this site or the players in the game that Debbie is getting a raw deal because of her older age/mom-ness. She had several OTT, spoiled, immature, delusional tirades in the span of at most 3 days and that is what people are commenting on. I feel pretty confident if Hali or Sierra did the same thing they'd get some "Girl be crazy!" comments, too.

I agree with all this.  In addition, I don't think Debbie's gender is a factor either.  A male contestant of any age that acted in a similar way would also be getting the same "Dude be crazy!" comments.

• Love 6

Denise is one of my favorite players/winners of all time.  Yes, she has a daughter, who was like maybe 11 years old when Denise played.  But she didn't "play" the mom on Survivor (or possibly in her actual life).

• Love 7
(edited)
8 hours ago, SVNBob said:

A male contestant of any age that acted in a similar way would also be getting the same "Dude be crazy!" comments.

I mean just look at Phillip and Coach. But Phillip and Coach probably do get more of a "oh that lovable kook!" response than Debbie is getting.

ETA: I remembered Brandon and I'd say he gets/got a similar response to the one Debbie's getting, although maybe with a bit more sympathy shown in general. 

• Love 1

I personally never saw any of them as lovable kooks.  I wouldn't mind the occasional kook scene but the show seems to milk them to death, which is why it's all the more likely the kooks are acting like kooks for airtime and to be memorable.  

Though I guess that's better than Vince and Vytas, who I don't think were acting kooky (according to them and giving them the benefit of the doubt), they just got kook edits before their boots.  

On 3/31/2017 at 10:39 AM, cooksdelight said:

Ya think?? People willing to break the law, in any capacity, have no moral compass, in my opinion. I've seen it too many times, personally.

In any capacity?  That seems a bit extreme.  Most people I know speed, at least sometimes.  Most kids in my high school drank underage, many smoked pot.  Apparently I know no people with a moral compass.

On 3/31/2017 at 6:25 PM, Vyk said:

No, the dislike for her isn't because she's older or not conventionally attractive.  The reason for the dislike of Debbie is because she acts like spoiled, irrational brat when she doesn't get her way or doesn't want to own up to her mistakes or errors.  Plain and simple.

On 4/2/2017 at 10:08 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I think what Debbie did in this episode was quite a bit away from a simple 'yell and cause a scene' situation. She went into seriously OTT bananas territory.

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I mean just look at Phillip and Coach. But Phillip and Coach probably do get more of a "oh that lovable kook!" response than Debbie is getting.

I loathed Philip and Coach as well.

Debbie's issue in the last episode is she invented a story of what happened in the challenge.  She blamed Hali for the loss despite the fact that her team was in first place when she started the balance beam stuff and she never finished her part of the challenge.  She demanded to be given the balance beam portion of the challenge.  She claimed that Hali cost them the challenge and claimed she was across the balance beam in under 2 minutes.  I actually went back and re-watched the reward challenge to see just how far her version deviated from reality and her version is not even close to what actually happened.  Yes, Hali fell off the beam on her first attempt but she quickly mastered the balancing issues and helped to get her tribe to the lead.  Debbie failed completely, never finished and yet claims that Brad wouldn't listen to her.  I'm sure she had 10 years of gymnastics training...  Then she goes into a rant, blames others, screams about not having rage issues, does her pushups, etc.

People on the show to play a character (Coach, Philip, perhaps Debbie) generally aren't people I like as players.  The game is interesting enough without manufactured personalities being interjected.

• Love 13

I disliked Coach and Philip when they played. Deb quickly moved from Coach and Philip level of delusion to Brandon very quickly. I am trying to think of the name of the hairdresser who quit while telling Jeff that if she stayed she would physically attack someone. I want to say it was during brains, beauty and brawn but I could be wrong about that. Debbie falls into that unique level of crazy.

None of these people are fun for me to watch. Worse yet, they are too far out there to be able to make game play interesting. Rob figured out how to play Philip but that is a rarity. They are wild cards who are so up their own asses that they believe the crap that they are selling. I don't find their antics interesting or their stories fun or anything about them enjoyable.

I like the Sandra's and even the Johnny Fairplay's. People who understand that there is fine line between being a TV villain and being a genuine asshole.

Russell and Kass are in their own category. Both of them are interested in pushing buttons and making people react. It is pretty much a glorified "I AM A GOAT" strategy that is not fun to watch and has a different type of awful to it.

• Love 9
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Jersey Guy 87 said:

I loathed Philip and Coach as well.

Going on memory of their seasons, most people in these parts did. I certainly did and continue to. They are exactly the kind of people I find most horrible to watch. As for the show, I believe it has depicted both those guys and Debbie as lovable nuts who make good TV. I disagree with them quite strongly on all three. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I am trying to think of the name of the hairdresser who quit while telling Jeff that if she stayed she would physically attack someone. I want to say it was during brains, beauty and brawn but I could be wrong about that. 

Lindsey, from Cagayan (yes, it was BBB1). She was upset Cliff was gone and was having intense conflicts with Trish.

8 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Russell and Kass are in their own category. Both of them are interested in pushing buttons and making people react. It is pretty much a glorified "I AM A GOAT" strategy that is not fun to watch and has a different type of awful to it.

I didn't see Kass's second season, but I didn't hate her in her first. She was clearly out for herself, but she wasn't burning people's belongings. I never felt she was malicious. Intractable and playing a poor social game for a woman, yes, but not malicious.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I am trying to think of the name of the hairdresser who quit while telling Jeff that if she stayed she would physically attack someone

Lindsay Ogle, a really, really nice lady now that she's off that island. :)

Coach and Phillip didn't bother me as much as that guy with all the tattoos who went off on Boston Rob, cannot remember his name. The Hantzes are in a class by themselves. Debbie is the one person who tries to rewrite history and make people believe it really happened....when it didn't. She's the type who'd argue with a fencepost, until the fencepost whittled itself into sawdust just to get away from her.

• Love 4
On 4/3/2017 at 10:00 AM, peachmangosteen said:

ETA: I remembered Brandon and I'd say he gets/got a similar response to the one Debbie's getting, although maybe with a bit more sympathy shown in general. 

Coach, as far as I can remember, was never physically threatening to anyone.  Phillip, at least one time that I can recall seeing, got in some of the younger girls' personal space wearing nothing but saggy undies.  Debbie also has a tendency to step into someone's personal space.  Everyone's boundaries are different, but I'd rather watch Coach do dragon-slaying tai chi in the ocean and listen to him misquote Aristotle all day long than have someone stand three inches from my face and scream. 

• Love 9
On 3/31/2017 at 1:36 PM, Bryce Lynch said:

I found one nice thing to say about Debbie.  She is a good speller.  

spelling.jpg

Ha! Seriously, what is so hard about "Malcolm"? Although "Malcomb" made me laugh enormously. 

I disliked Coach and Philip when they played. Deb quickly moved from Coach and Philip level of delusion to Brandon very quickly. I am trying to think of the name of the hairdresser who quit while telling Jeff that if she stayed she would physically attack someone. I want to say it was during brains, beauty and brawn but I could be wrong about that. Debbie falls into that unique level of crazy.

None of these people are fun for me to watch. Worse yet, they are too far out there to be able to make game play interesting. Rob figured out how to play Philip but that is a rarity. They are wild cards who are so up their own asses that they believe the crap that they are selling. I don't find their antics interesting or their stories fun or anything about them enjoyable.

I don't really enjoy this type of player either. I also think there's a fine line between goat and intolerable asshole. Abi is a good example, as mentioned above. If she had been a fraction less awful, she might have been dragged to the end and Philippines might have had a different outcome. But living with her was apparently so awful that strategy went out the window. 

Debbie's behavior in this last episode is pushing her into that territory. She's annoying on her best day, but the aggression and revisionist history was next level. And this early in the game, when winning challenges as a group is still the goal, having someone smirking at the failures of others and making snide comments is not conducive to winning. 

I don't have much to say about the mother thing except that when I watch Debbie on the show, I kind of feel bad for her daughters. (Same goes for anyone who makes a fool of themselves/gets trashed by others/gets eviscerated by their edit). That's got to be hard to watch.

• Love 2
(edited)

I took Brad's "Malcomb" spelling as a little joke about his hair, but maybe I'm giving Brad too much credit.

16 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Coach and Phillip didn't bother me as much as that guy with all the tattoos who went off on Boston Rob, cannot remember his name.

I love that you couldn't remember Lex's name. I'm sure if he knew someone couldn't remember his name it would tear him up inside!

• Love 6
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Did Lex from Season 3 Africa come back on another season?

He was on Season 8 All Stars, where he spent the first part of the season being a normal good guy, but then Rob outplayed him and Lex lost his damn mind and turned into a cartoon version of Travis Bickle.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 6

In Lex's minor defense, he had an alliance with BRob that was established before the game was played. Lex saved Amber because of that alliance. Lex was pissed that BRob negated that alliance.

Backstabbing is a part of the game but there are degrees of backstabbing and BRob rose to a new level of backstabbing when he took out Lex. It is perfectly fair game play, I ma not saying that BRob was wrong, but it was far more personal then the normal backstabbing.

Making personal relationships in the game and turning on them has always been problematic, see Dawn and Lisa. BRob got hit hard by Lex but he kind of deserved it.

And I don't like Lex in the least bit.

Debbie falls into that really special form of crazy. She is the rare nut job who moves into physical threat. Brandon and Lindsey are the only two who fully crossed into that arena. Philip and Russell came close, The bullies last season were on the border. Personally, I would prefer never to see this archetype on the show again.

• Love 10
(edited)

I agree with you on the Lex/BRob situation, @ProfCrash. I completely understood why Lex took that so badly and I think he was within his rights to be pissed about what happened. But he went full on nuts, which was a bit much. Super fun to watch though!

ETA: I realized this is the Debbie thread so I should probably try to make this somewhat on topic. I am pretty interested to see what happens with Debbie now that she had her massive meltdown. 

• Love 1

Lex was crazy going back to Africa.  Remember when he got a mysterious vote and blamed it on Kelly Goldsmith, then proceeded to orchestrate her ouster at the next vote as revenge?  Didn't he say something about cutting the head off of the rat?  He felt it in his gut, but his gut was wrong, because Kelly wasn't the one who had voted for him.  AS was really an ugly, personal season overall.  The other returning player seasons were a lot better in that regard.  Not sure how this season will be, as it's still early. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

In Lex's minor defense, he had an alliance with BRob that was established before the game was played. Lex saved Amber because of that alliance. Lex was pissed that BRob negated that alliance.

Backstabbing is a part of the game but there are degrees of backstabbing and BRob rose to a new level of backstabbing when he took out Lex. It is perfectly fair game play, I ma not saying that BRob was wrong, but it was far more personal then the normal backstabbing.

Making personal relationships in the game and turning on them has always been problematic, see Dawn and Lisa. BRob got hit hard by Lex but he kind of deserved it.

And I don't like Lex in the least bit.

Debbie falls into that really special form of crazy. She is the rare nut job who moves into physical threat. Brandon and Lindsey are the only two who fully crossed into that arena. Philip and Russell came close, The bullies last season were on the border. Personally, I would prefer never to see this archetype on the show again.

The problem with pre-game alliances is that you don't know how the game is going to go. Had Lex and Boston Rob been put on the same tribe, maybe that would have worked, but the game didn't work out that way. Lex picked up Kathy (and Jerri, who he stabbed in the back after stabbing Colby and Ethan in the backs) and Rob picked up Amber. Lex also had a pre-game alliance with Big Tom, so the idea that he and Rob had a super-special agreement that Rob violated doesn't fly with me. I don't think he was planning to sit next to Rob at the end, so the fact that Rob got to FTC and he didn't is the source of his rage, not the alleged betrayal of friendship. 

ETA: I realized this is the Debbie thread so I should probably try to make this somewhat on topic. I am pretty interested to see what happens with Debbie now that she had her massive meltdown. 

I'm wondering if it won't have much impact at all and was only included for passing entertainment value, given that her tribe didn't go to TC and she was in no danger. It certainly made for an intriguing preview for last week's episode and cast up a nice red herring for the episode up until the immunity challenge outcome. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Taking my response on the Rob/Lex kerfuffle to the All Stars thread. In the meantime, please enjoy this promotional photo of Debbie from the Kaoh Rong season. Just based on the bathing suit, we should have known she was a ticking time bomb.

sOVr3Te.jpg?1

I remember being impressed by the wide range of silly and impractical swimsuits in the promotional photos for that season, Debbie at the top of the list.  Having said that, and disregarding the position of the gaping maw of the tiger, she looks pretty good in that photo.

• Love 6

I'd like to ask how people think Debbie will act when she is voted out.

Will she fly into a rage and attack someone? Or will she blame someone else for it?

Personally, I think she will act just as sweet as pie and thank everyone for giving her a "wonderful and happy" experience. She will rewrite her history in the show as if she was the most beloved contestant of all time.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think it might be a mix of where she's super sweet and thinking she's getting voted off for being a threat.  Then she'll unleash in her final words.  Depending if she's blindsided or not, she may have some not so nice words for her former alliance.  It's Debbie, so the possibilities are endless.

Debbie's almost too perfect to take to the end, because there is no way she's going to win.  Curiosity has the better of me how amusing her FTC would be, or if the jury would just ignore her.  I have a feeling she'd probably put her two cents in and say "oh, big move?  You must have meant that for me."

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

I am still stuck on Debbie telling Probst, when asked if she ever spent time alone, that she spent lots of time alone with her pony.  Did she mean as a child?  How does one run away with a pony?  Did she actually mean a horse, and she spent lots of time riding alone?  I'm not trying to suggest anything weird, but it was just such a non-sequitur and I can't figure out what she was talking about.  Of course, one could argue that it's better to not try and understand Debbie...although the #giddyup had me rolling.

• Love 7

I understood this to mean when she was a child, either her family had a pony or maybe her grandparents had one, and she spent time in the barn and pasture. I don't know if that's the case, of course, but if so it sounds like normal behavior for a little girl that likes horses.

• Love 3
On 4/5/2017 at 5:53 PM, MissBluxom said:

Will she fly into a rage and attack someone? Or will she blame someone else for it?

Personally, I think she will act just as sweet as pie and thank everyone for giving her a "wonderful and happy" experience. She will rewrite her history in the show as if she was the most beloved contestant of all time.

She's been voted out before and didn't have any particularly noteworthy reaction to it, I don't think much will be different this time. She didn't seem to have a complete grasp on why she was voted out, but she doesn't have a complete grasp on a lot of things, so that didn't surprise me. 

I think it might be a mix of where she's super sweet and thinking she's getting voted off for being a threat.  Then she'll unleash in her final words.  Depending if she's blindsided or not, she may have some not so nice words for her former alliance.  It's Debbie, so the possibilities are endless.

Debbie's almost too perfect to take to the end, because there is no way she's going to win.  Curiosity has the better of me how amusing her FTC would be, or if the jury would just ignore her.  I have a feeling she'd probably put her two cents in and say "oh, big move?  You must have meant that for me."

I don't know, she's typically been at her most lucid and articulate at tribal councils, so I don't have high hopes that she'd be crazy and over the top at an FTC. However, overselling her own moves sounds about right and depending on who ends up on the jury, her chances don't seem so hot. Brad, Hali, etc aren't likely to vote for her. 

I remember being impressed by the wide range of silly and impractical swimsuits in the promotional photos for that season, Debbie at the top of the list.  Having said that, and disregarding the position of the gaping maw of the tiger, she looks pretty good in that photo.

The style of that suit stands out to me because it looks like the kind of suit I wore as a little kid. Given that Debbie is very small, it's possible that suit came from the girls department. Most women's suits have at least some sort of chest support and that doesn't appear to have any (not that her body type needs it). Also, I don't know many grown women who would want a giant, growling tiger on their bathing suit. ;)

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

The style of that suit stands out to me because it looks like the kind of suit I wore as a little kid. Given that Debbie is very small, it's possible that suit came from the girls department. Most women's suits have at least some sort of chest support and that doesn't appear to have any (not that her body type needs it). Also, I don't know many grown women who would want a giant, growling tiger on their bathing suit. ;)

I see your point, but I would find that tiger even more disturbing on a child.

• Love 1
On 4/7/2017 at 11:53 AM, ljenkins782 said:

Also, I don't know many grown women who would want a giant, growling tiger on their bathing suit. ;)

Really?  Have you seen some of the crap the Kardashians/reality celebs/hip hop baby momma's wear?  And if they wear it everybody wears it.  They would wear it because it was "hot" or "fierce" or something.  Debbie probably wore it because its her spirit animal.  Or maybe someone gave it to her.  <shrug>

Debbie said what she said at exile; all the overconfidence statements.  But did the statements seem sort of choppy to you?  It just seemed heavily edited.  Like hours of talking to Cochran, maybe sensibly, and they cut out the 4 or 5 crazy "I'm so great" type sentences.  Then of course Cochran talks about how unrealistic over confidence is.  Oh wait, read the article.  He was there and hour BUT Probst says "(Side note: Cochran is a great interviewer/producer. He really did an amazing job of getting what we needed. He could definitely produce on Survivor.)"  It does pay to remember that Survivor is a reality show and not reality.   

Then apparently Cochran says in a post epi interview that he things Debbie can win.  Anyone read that?  I don't have CBS all access which is the only place I've seen that.  

I expect Debbie will be voted out by Culpepper an company when no longer needed, no real surprise or drama.  She is on their bottom. 

Did she pick the right advantage?  Thats a question.  Probst says not

BONUS QUESTION: Which advantage would you have taken — the fake idol kit, the extra vote, or the immunity challenge advantage — and why?
This is easy for me. The extra vote is really tricky to use. Yes, it’s very powerful but so far nobody has ever really used it in a way that had any positive impact. Because everybody is so cagey it’s tough to trust how anybody is actually going to vote, so it’s a big leap of faith. For that reason, I’m out. The challenge advantage is enticing but it doesn’t guarantee that I’ll win. For that reason, I’m out. But the fake idol is so much fun and offers so many ways to use it. I would absolutely use it to sabotage someone… like David did with Jay. Plus, this was a killer kit. It would have looked exactly like an idol. I was shocked and a bit bummed Debbie didn’t take it.

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 2

Did she pick the right advantage?  Thats a question.  Probst says not

BONUS QUESTION: Which advantage would you have taken — the fake idol kit, the extra vote, or the immunity challenge advantage — and why?
This is easy for me. The extra vote is really tricky to use. Yes, it’s very powerful but so far nobody has ever really used it in a way that had any positive impact. Because everybody is so cagey it’s tough to trust how anybody is actually going to vote, so it’s a big leap of faith. For that reason, I’m out. The challenge advantage is enticing but it doesn’t guarantee that I’ll win. For that reason, I’m out. But the fake idol is so much fun and offers so many ways to use it. I would absolutely use it to sabotage someone… like David did with Jay. Plus, this was a killer kit. It would have looked exactly like an idol. I was shocked and a bit bummed Debbie didn’t take it.

Would she have been given time to make her idol on the exile boat? Because coming back from exile island with an idol in hand would actually have been a very plausible idea to float to the others. They don't know she was on a luxury trip and the prospect of an idol has typically been the only saving grace of an idol trip, so the others probably would have bought it. 

Had it been anyone but Debbie, they probably would have talked through the options enough to come to that same conclusion, but since Debbie knows it all, she just picked one without discussion. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the extra vote works out as poorly for her as it has in years prior. 

That being said, I don't think the extra vote is generally as tricky as Probst is making it sound. The first time it was used, a secret idol caused a bounce that ousted the extra vote holder which could have happened on any regular vote and in Fishbach's case, he tried to be cute and use Joe's vote to vote Joe out. Had he placed both votes on Abi, it would have tied the voting and maybe she goes on the revote. Jeremy was protecting Stephen and he voted Joe that round, so I don't think he knew about the plan to oust Stephen. A tied vote would have brought that plan into the light and  who knows what might have happened. 

All that to say that I don't think the extra vote is quite the curse it's made out to be...but then again, there's no real rationale behind the car curse either and that one has a 100% track record, if I'm not mistaken. 

• Love 3

I'd probably take the fake idol, after thinking about it.  The extra vote can be too risky it it doesn't work, and the immunity advantage-well, no, that doesn't really benefit me long run.  The fake idol, while there's risk there, seems like the one option that can't really fail.  However, I can see why Debbie took the extra vote.  She'll think she has the extra power and probably make a spectacle at whatever TC she uses it at, if she is able to use.

• Love 1

Her disgust at Jeff tonight made me proud of her for the first time in a very long time, if ever.  I liked her saying that Zeke's trans secret was his to disclose, not Varner's.  And it was very sweet when she told Zeke that he's still Zeke to her, not just a trans person.

• Love 4

I was also pretty impressed with her.  The tribe's reactions to Varner and Zeke seemed very raw and honest.  Some were in tears, some needed to tell Varner off, some sat quietly and let the others do most of the talking.  Debbie and Ozzy were in that last category, both got a chance to talk, and I thought they both said what they needed to say in a calm and thoughtful manner.  I don't know if I'd have been able to do the same in the heat of the moment.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 4

Like most people who have been on this show, Debbie is least interesting when she's being a "character" and most interesting when she's being a player.  The sequence of events around her was sort of amazing:

1. Andrea has a plan, tells Zeke 'don't tell Debbie, she's a loose cannon'.

2. Zeke doesn't accept this, goes to tell Debbie of his new own plan, truthfully telling her what Andrea said.

3. Debbie demonstrates the wisdom of Andrea's words by immediately disbelieving Zeke's true story and going off on her own totally new scheme.  Successfully!

And in doing so takes out a member of the opposing Cirie/Andrea alliance and strengthens her own alliance, which is more than I can say for what would have happened with Zeke if he'd got his way.  The question now is does Debbie know that despite dictating the vote this time, she's still not on the top of her alliance and she will have to hustle at some point down the line?

• Love 7
On 2017-04-05 at 5:53 PM, MissBluxom said:

Yikes! I didn't recognize the above question was mine. So I was about to answer it and then found out in time. Sorry.

Edited by MissBluxom

I don't get why everyone's so down on her in the episode thread.  I think she was wise to use her extra vote since she wasn't sure where everyone's heads truly were.  Things must've been more chaotic than we thought if she couldn't quite trust where her alliance was going, so I can get why she used her advantage.

I still don't like her, but I can't blame her for rolling the dice there.

• Love 4

I wonder if she thought Zeke would run back to Cirie/Andrea.  I don't think it was necessarily a waste, but sometimes when there's this many numbers it may have been better to hold onto it.  I still don't like her, and I do think there's a delusion about where she sits in her alliance.  She thinks she's playing Brad, Brad says he's got her under his thumb.  Who's right?

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Vyk said:

I don't get why everyone's so down on her in the episode thread.

They're always down on Debbie in the episode threads! Any opportunity is a good opp to hate Debbie's guts, apparently.

If she'd singlehandedly saved Ozzy in the last tribal, somehow, people would still be saying foul things about every aspect of her being! It's a mystery, to me. I find her very endearing.

It shouldn't be this hard to correct a typo! I think I accidentally reported my own post in the process, too!

Edited by violet and green
  • Love 3

She's the first person to play the extra vote and actually have the person she wanted to go home get voted out. Yeah, it turned out she didn't need to, but I'd much rather see someone burn and in-game advantage unnecessarily than to keep it when they should have used it. I think it's akin to playing a hidden immunity idol when the minority of votes were cast against you—you didn't need to do it, but it's not necessarily a stupid move if you weren't certain that people would vote with you.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Hera said:

She's the first person to play the extra vote and actually have the person she wanted to go home get voted out.

I would hazard the opinion that this may be a won-the-battle/lost-the-war kind of thing.  Yes Debbie played it, and yes the person she played it on (Ozzy) was sent packing - but no, I don't think it truly advanced her game.  In fact, I think it may have detracted from Debbie's game some.  Debbie probably turned some of Ozzy's allies into enemies when previously they weren't giving her much consideration at all, except as maybe a swing vote.

• Love 4

I'll be curious what everyone will think when they go back to camp. It's correct that the extra vote didn't do anything but their target still went home. They showed a very big alliance of Debbie, Brad, Tai, Sierra, Sarah & Troyzan in a group huddle. It's in the daytime so it could be before or after that Tribal Council. I don't think Debbie could make that far to the finals but she'll make the jury a little exciting. 

I'm wondering if that extra vote will hurt Debbie's standing in her alliance.  She's a loose cannon as it is.  Is she going to fess up about her luxurious stay on EI?  Advantages are (typically) made public during the challenges, with the exception of the legacy advantages.  So will they start wondering if she's holding out on them, and maybe has something else that she's holding back on? 

• Love 1

So in listening to Debbie in her exit interview with Rob C, she comes across as a somewhat normal, reasonable and even slightly likable person (if not still full of herself). Apparently the whole fight thing with Brad was an act. It was part of her strategy to not show her closeness with him. What I don't get is why we as the audience couldn't be let in on that. I don't know if they didn't ask her or what, but why play that up to us in the confessionals? It only makes her look completely bat shit because my takeaway was not a good one after that episode.

• Love 5