Type keyword(s) to search

S34: Debbie Wanner

Jabu
  • Start Topic

Hi.  I'm from Kaoh Rong (aka Brains vs. Brawn vs. Beauty 2).  And I regret not trying to align with Scot and Jason.

Uh . . . what?  Given that they weren't going to align with any of the women, she shouldn't regret that.  I guess she's back as crazy as ever.

• Love 2

I'm assuming Special Agent Phillip Sheppard was not available to play this season.  A tribe with both Phillip and Debbie would've been the best thing on tv.  Anywhere.  Ever.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I'm assuming Special Agent Phillip Sheppard was not available to play this season.  A tribe with both Phillip and Debbie would've been the best thing on tv.  Anywhere.  Ever.

I was actually wondering where Coach was, but putting him, Phillip, and Debbie on the same tribe?  Yikes (but so good).

• Love 4
5 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I was actually wondering where Coach was, but putting him, Phillip, and Debbie on the same tribe?  Yikes (but so good).

Yeah, no thanks.  Coach I would love to see again.  Phillip can stay away forever, as far as I'm concerned.

I just don't get how Debbie can't see the real reason she lost Kaoh Rong: her complete, misguided, misplaced faith and trust in the duplicitous (@PerfidiousAmber had the right word for it) Julia.  That, more than anything, took her down.  Not anything relating to whether or not she allied with Scot and Jason.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 1

Well, against the pair of them even Debbie could win F3.  Also, it was the duplicitous Aubry who took Debbie down, a truly ludicrous move on Aubry's part, one of the dumbest in a season of dummies.  The only thing that saved her is that Tai is even dumber.

Oh right, I forgot I'm on previously.tv where Julia is a filthy, disgustingly ugly leather bag whose only strategy was sticking her boobs in men's faces, and Aubry an unassailable genius, her flawless game not recognized by the only bitter jury that has ever existed...

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

Oh right, I forgot I'm on previously.tv where Julia is a filthy, disgustingly ugly leather bag whose only strategy was sticking her boobs in men's faces, and Aubry an unassailable genius, her flawless game not recognized by the only bitter jury that has ever existed...

lol. That is pretty much how I remembered it as well. The fact remains though that Debbie was right Julia did not flip on them at the vote when Aubry said she would.  So yeah Aubry's fault.

I think Debbie is being a little bit too much of a try hard in this interview especially regarding all the insults she is throwing around mainly to the other women in the cast. Oh and get ready for the Debbie-Brad-Troy alliance

http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2017/02/15/survivor-debbie-aubry-doesnt-trust-dont-trust/

This quote here to me is pretty pathetic:

Holmes: How do you beat him at final three?
Wanner: I don’t care if I lose to Ozzy. He’s a good guy.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 1

It's disappointing that people like Debbie and Sierra are likely going to make it far because they're just going to get into a guy alliance and be happy losing at the final 3, when people like Tony/Sandra/Ciera/Cirie are considered targets right off the bat (although some people do seem to want to have Cirie around and work with her).  Troyzan (from a couple of interviews I've seen) wants to work with the girls this time.  A lot of the ladies want to work with Malcolm and Ozzy.  I have a feeling certain people will assume Brad won't win in the end, so why not follow him.  Debbie tries way too hard at being this character.

Russell Hantz will probably eat his hat if Brad/Troy/Malcolm/Ozzy succeed in getting together a dumb girls alliance, and actually winning in the end.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

Hey, someone who actually wants to work with Tony.

And I don’t know why women have to cut each other’s throats, but they do. 

I'd actually like to know the answer to this, too.  Andrea wants to form a kick ass girl's alliance.  Someone like Debbie is probably going to ruin that.  

• Love 4
On 2/15/2017 at 7:22 PM, LanceM said:

I think Debbie is being a little bit too much of a try hard in this interview especially regarding all the insults she is throwing around mainly to the other women in the cast. Oh and get ready for the Debbie-Brad-Troy alliance

http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2017/02/15/survivor-debbie-aubry-doesnt-trust-dont-trust/

This quote here to me is pretty pathetic:

Holmes: How do you beat him at final three?
Wanner: I don’t care if I lose to Ozzy. He’s a good guy.

I can't see Brad aligning with Debbie in a million years. 

• Love 2
On 2/15/2017 at 5:22 PM, LanceM said:

I think Debbie is being a little bit too much of a try hard

FTFY. ;)

She's an asshole. Was last time she played, and she isn't going to stop now. After all, it got her attention and a return invite. 

As much as I still dislike Scot and Kyle, I think it's a stretch to say that they wouldn't align with any woman. Julia was smart enough to work them. Debbie just isn't that good at the game. Her skills lie exclusively in making up self-aggrandizing bullshit. 

Damn, I wish we were getting Julia back instead of Debbie, Tai, Aubry and fucking Caleb. 

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

Damn, I wish we were getting Julia back instead of Debbie, Tai, Aubry and fucking Caleb. 

Cosign, mostly because I think Julia will be most interesting to see evolve.  But she may get another chance -- she is after all super young and Probst likes her, I seem to remember? -- whereas Aubry, as @LadyChatts said, probably wouldn't, and I think it's worth seeing Aubry again, without anyone like Joe out there.  Debbie and Caleb, though....

• Love 3
4 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

I think it's worth seeing Aubry again, without anyone like Joe out there.

She's still got Tai, unfortunately. Hopefully, his interviews are true, and he doesn't want to be a lapdog forever in search of the next lap. I really don't want a replay of that. 

I will hold out hope for Julia.

• Love 2

Jeff loved Julia, and I can definitely see him making a case for her to come back.  I can already see her return story shaping up.  She's probably the only other post merge KR person that'll get an invite back, since Jeff seems kind of soured on that group.

I wasn't Julia's biggest fan in the end, but I'd love to see her come back after a few years.  

• Love 1

I liked Debbie.  There were flashes of normality and intelligence in between the I'm going to just act as weird as I want to get attention or whatever.  Sounds to me like she has had a pretty tough life.  I hope she doesn't decide to play a new role just to get screen time. She could actually be a bit nuts, but so far I think its a pretty harmless nuts, a nuts that isn't to stupid. 

• Love 2

I don't know if I like or dislike Debbie, but I don't think she's as wacky as she appeared on the show either. She behaved like a normal person at Ponderosa, and I hope we see more of her uncrazy side this time around, although the couple of promos I've seen don't make me too hopeful about that.

• Love 1

My impression is that Debbie's hard life and trying to provide for herself and her kids is...of desparate proportions.  She said, and I would agree, that life long poverty can really grind you down.  I think she'll do anything, include play a crazy character, to be memorable, to increase post production invites etc.  Now that I think of it I'm a little surprised not to have seen her on some other reality show.  But making a living at that is harder than it looks if you arent young, nubile, breasted.  Ask Johnny Fairplay.  

• Love 3

Debbie reminds me of a girl I went to high school with. This girl was pretty cool (and very funny) when you caught her with her guard down and she was just being herself. Unfortunately and for reasons I never really understood, she rarely did that (at least at school and school events). Instead, she put on this really contrived persona and tried way too hard to be whatever she thought would make other people like her. That's what I see with Debbie. I think Debbie is probably fine to hang out with she doesn't feel like she has to impress anyone. But in front of cameras, or new tribemates, she tries way too hard to be the best and brightest and most accomplished person around and it's exhausting for everyone and off-putting for the people who have to witness it first-hand.

• Love 12

Oh well, I adore Debbie. She's got so many sides to her, and within it all a good wit and a warm heart. I don't know if she's a particularly good player, or likely to improve this go round, but I am super stoked she's back in and I hope she lasts a long time.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, violet and green said:

Oh well, I adore Debbie. She's got so many sides to her, and within it all a good wit and a warm heart. I don't know if she's a particularly good player, or likely to improve this go round, but I am super stoked she's back in and I hope she lasts a long time.

Exactly and agree.  I hope she lasts awhile at least!

I'm one who enjoyed her the first time she played but hearing about her shade throwing  before the season starts I'm liking her less and less. I agree with Hera above. I hope either to see real Debbie stay for a while, or if she behaves as this person who's on the pre show promo, I want her voted out pronto. I find l have ess and less sympathy for people who *choose* to play characters, whereas I'm relatively tolerant of the rare ones that really seem to be characters.

• Love 1

I will give Julia this, her and Michele (who are roommates) have their own little Survivor group in Boston: beer and wings.  Beats the wine and cheese clique of NYC.

I'm one who enjoyed her the first time she played but hearing about her shade throwing  before the season starts I'm liking her less and less. I agree with Hera above. I hope either to see real Debbie stay for a while, or if she behaves as this person who's on the pre show promo, I want her voted out pronto. I find l have ess and less sympathy for people who *choose* to play characters, whereas I'm relatively tolerant of the rare ones that really seem to be characters.

I usually hate Survivor characters, because they typically are going more after screen time and getting 4 chances to come back rather than doing anything significant in the game or thinking about winning.  But some are more natural in their approach than others.  Debbie, despite being a master in a hundred different occupations, can't even convincingly pull off who she wants to be.  She just tries too hard, and it's obvious what she's doing.  But as someone who said they wanted to be like Coach and Phillip, I shouldn't be surprise.  I'm already annoyed by her, I didn't like her that much during KR, so I really hope she's gone early.  Doesn't help that she wants to align with the men and target the women right off the bat.  

• Love 6

Yeah Julia took a lot of crap after she decided to align with Scot and Jason because they would be prefect goats to beat in the end. One thing I never understood was why people were criticizing her for being used by the two of them when in reality she was using them as well.  Never made sense to me. Anyway, yes Julia and Michele are roommates now and apparently the Beer and Wings clique is a thing (other members include Aubrey, Jeremy and Val, Brett, Rodney and any other random Boston area Survivor.

As far as Debbie is concerned I like the eccentric characters but I feel this season she is trying way too hard to be crazy Debbie.  It is not coming off as genuine to me at all. I agree that she is playing a character at this point.

• Love 4

This woman is a freaking lunatic that isn't funny TV.  She now succeeds Dan Foley for having TPTB play back a clip totally contradciting herself.  According to her last week, Hali was on the bottom and she was trying to get close to her because she didn't want her to feel alone.  Now this week because Hali totally shows her up in a challenge she claims she'd have no problem in and somehow she's now Brad's #2?  I guess Debbie missed the cues Hali was trying to give her old tribe last week to vote Brad off.

I hope she's gone sooner rather than later.  Her tribe doesn't need to chase after and coddle her for her own insecurities and warped sense of memory.  I hope she gets no attention at the reunion show, but if she does, I hope it's only for Probst to play back the footage from the challenge alongside Debbie's statements.

• Love 14
22 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

This woman is a freaking lunatic that isn't funny TV. 

Yes, my reaction was that she went from wacky in her first season to bat-shit insane this season. 

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, kikaha said:

Yes, my reaction was that she went from wacky in her first season to bat-shit insane this season. 

That really did escalate fast, and she just wouldn't let it go. And she was wrong! 

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

I always thought she was bat-shit and bad TV. It was why I was so opposed to her return. 

So did I.  Between missing the signs that Julia was not loyal to her and the other woman in Kaoh Rong and her complete delusion over what'd gone down with the Reward Challenge tonight, she is certifiable.  In a rare occasion, I had to sympathize almost completely with Brad, which felt very awkward.

On the other hand, if this moves her down the tribe's totem pole and Hali up it, I couldn't be happier.

• Love 8

What really freaked me out was when she turned to Brad and yelled, "you crushed my heart!"  Right after that, she started laughing.  At first I thought she was crying, but on second replay (and believe me, it terrified me to watch it a second time), she was definitely laughing.  But to what end?  Is she trying to convince her tribe that she's just kidding?  Is it a normal thing for her to scream at people, do rage push-ups, and then laugh it off?  Because it's not funny, it's freaking scary.  I don't need to see another Brandon Hantz-type complete mental breakdown on my favorite television show.  That's not entertainment to me, that's the producers placing a known unstable person on a reality show so we can watch them fall apart.  Brandon Hantz never should've been cast twice - same goes for Debbie.

• Love 20
17 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

What really freaked me out was when she turned to Brad and yelled, "you crushed my heart!"  Right after that, she started laughing.  At first I thought she was crying, but on second replay (and believe me, it terrified me to watch it a second time), she was definitely laughing.  But to what end?  Is she trying to convince her tribe that she's just kidding?  Is it a normal thing for her to scream at people, do rage push-ups, and then laugh it off?  Because it's not funny, it's freaking scary.  I don't need to see another Brandon Hantz-type complete mental breakdown on my favorite television show.  That's not entertainment to me, that's the producers placing a known unstable person on a reality show so we can watch them fall apart.  Brandon Hantz never should've been cast twice - same goes for Debbie.

Yeah, I was thinking watching last night that production might need to do an intervention.  It's not OK for them to leave the other contestants to deal with such erratic, unstable anger.  She even screamed at Tai when he was trying to help her by agreeing with her, because he wasn't agreeing with her in the right way.  Oy.

I did like Brad eventually saying to her quite reasonably, while she ranted pettily during the challenge, "I love you, Debbie, I don't know why you're so mad at me."  He may have more social game than I thought.  A person like Debbie just wants to be reassured and indulged, no matter how distasteful it might be to do so.

• Love 17

Geez, cut a bitch a break. She's as skinny as fuck, she has no reserves, her hormones must be going crazy, and Hali who must be the most irritating hairflicking young woman around has supplanted her in her tribe's affections, they've handed all their power over to Brad Culpepper from day one, whytf I don't know - and she's angry. Throw in a 'power surge' or two and a bit of island paranoia and she let fly. It wasn't  pretty, but it sure broke up the monotony.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, violet and green said:

... they've handed all their power over to Brad Culpepper from day one ...

She has herself to blame for that in part at least. She literally point blank asked Brad what she was supposed to do at the last TC!

ETA: That mug shot is terrifying. She really does seem mentally unstable at a Brandon Hantz type level. She never should've been cast in the first place let alone brought back. It's gross.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 7

I worry that eventually TPTB, for the sake of what they consider great TV and creating characters, are going to cross the line.  It isn't just with Survivor, but other reality shows I've noticed.  Eventually someone is really going to go off the deep end and either try to hurt themselves or someone else.  And if this is all one big act, I go back to saying it isn't funny or good TV.  

• Love 7

Jeff on EW:

The challenge was very long so we always have to condense the action. But what we ALWAYS do is condense it in a way that still accurately portrays what went down. Debbie was a bit off in where she put the blame both with Hali and with Culpepper. But she is not the first to have her perception colored by hunger, adrenaline, fear of blame, or any of the other dozens of factors that come into play when your neck is on the line on Survivor.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Why is a convicted/confessed felon allowed to be on this show, not once, but twice?

http://www.tmz.com/2016/02/26/survivor-contestant-guilty-crime-katrina-water/

Because it was a nonviolent felony and she did her time. What, are people who go to jail or prison to never supposed to be out in polite society again, especially after they pay their debt to society? I say this not as a Debbie fan, but just on general principle.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Vyk said:

In a rare occasion, I had to sympathize almost completely with Brad, which felt very awkward.

Amen! I NEVER thought I'd be sympathizing with Brad of all people this season, but I gotta admit, he responded like a cool cucumber, as did the rest of the tribe. It's amazing how Hali is literally almost half Debbie's age, but ten times more mature. This isn't just about Debbi being crazy; she also lacks a sense of maturity for her age which is utterly astounding to watch.... I'd almost feel sorry for her, but I simply can't.

• Love 10