Type keyword(s) to search

S34: Michaela Bradshaw

Jabu
  • Start Topic

Hi.  I'm from Millennials vs. Gen-X.  And I'm glad I broke a lot of stereotypes last season.

Interesting how she doesn't mention trusting Jay under her regrets, since trusting him did end her game.

• Love 3

I would think that Michaela and Zeke would be at a disadvantage in a season called "Game Changers" when no one saw their game (and see that they didn't do so hot).  But I would also hope that the rest of the cast will maybe look around and realize that hey, most everyone cast this season doesn't exactly qualify as a game changer, so maybe they didn't do anything.

I would love to see Michaela go far this season.  Zeke can be an early boot, but I had high hopes for Michaela last season.  At least she knows how to get completely blindsided and not be bitter.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

Michaela is so bad at this game.  Yet she is the fans' darling, like a mascot.  Kind of reminds me of backup quarterbacks on a lot of football teams.  The fans love him, think "if he just got a chance to play...'  But then often when they do get in, they just can't cut it in the big time. 

• Love 1

Interesting how she and Zeke have barely been targets, despite no one having seen their season.

I do think her temper will come back to haunt her at one point, but for now, I hope she lasts, especially after Jay so cruelly screwed her over last season.

• Love 1

Sadly, for I like Michaela, I feel she didn't learn much from her first season.  At least not so far. 

Her mouth got her in trouble in season 33.  It did the same thing this season, and could have turned her into the first boot.  I think it's hard to go far in Survivor if you constantly shoot from the hip.  Michaela did that last season, and is starting this season the same way.

Hopefully she takes advantage of the shuffle to right the ship, and wait for others to paint targets on their own backs.   She won't have to wait long, I feel: the first two boots did exactly that. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

Michaela is so bad at this game.  Yet she is the fans' darling, like a mascot.  Kind of reminds me of backup quarterbacks on a lot of football teams.  The fans love him, think "if he just got a chance to play...'  But then often when they do get in, they just can't cut it in the big time. 

Michaela excelled at every or nearly every challenge last season.  Besides being very athletic, she seems to have an amazing ability to quickly figure out the best way to tackle a challenge.  In the challenge where they had to go over the obstacles, she was first over the big, rolling log obstacle and then immediately started helping her teammates over.  

I have little doubt that if she had been on the snake retrieval team, they would have gotten it to shore MUCH faster and they probably would have won. I also think that if she had taken over for Malcolm (who was amazing at the ring toss, but was exhausted), she would have won that challenge as well.

Her biggest problem is her social game.  She is great at challenges and strategy, but she needs to learn how to not piss people off,  to do a better job disguising what a threat she is, and to be a better liar.  She seems aware of these issues, so hopefully she will work them out.  

3 minutes ago, kikaha said:

Sadly, for I like Michaela, I feel she didn't learn much from her first season.  At least not so far. 

Her mouth got her in trouble in season 33.  It did the same thing this season, and could have turned her into the first boot.  I think it's hard to go far in Survivor if you constantly shoot from the hip.  Michaela did that last season, and is starting this season the same way.

Hopefully she takes advantage of the shuffle to right the ship, and wait for others to paint targets on their own backs.   She won't have to wait long, I feel: the first two boots did exactly that. 

She seems to have learned from last season, but the question is whether she will be able to apply those lessons.  She seems very self aware, but she needs to add some self control.  I think the dust up over her name being put out as the decoy to Ciera was probably overblown by the editors.  Nobody likes hearing that their name is going to be written down, and I don't think her reaction was over the top.  

• Love 4
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

She seems to have learned from last season, but the question is whether she will be able to apply those lessons.  She seems very self aware, but she needs to add some self control. 

This. She definitely has self-awareness. She knows exactly what her weaknesses in this game are and that's more than I can say for a lot of other players. But yea, it doesn't ultimately matter if she can't do anything about it and honestly I don't think she really can. She can't lie and her face shows every single one of her emotions and I don't see her ever really being able to change any of that. 

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

This. She definitely has self-awareness. She knows exactly what her weaknesses in this game are and that's more than I can say for a lot of other players. But yea, it doesn't ultimately matter if she can't do anything about it and honestly I don't think she really can. She can't lie and her face shows every single one of her emotions and I don't see her ever really being able to change any of that. 

The trouble lying might be hard to fix.  Keeping her mouth shut is an easier fix, but will require self control.  I think she realizes she almost blew up her game with her reaction to being the decoy name for Ciera.  

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think she realizes she almost blew up her game with her reaction to being the decoy name for Ciera.  

I think she realizes it too, but I just don't think she'll be able to stop herself next time it happens lol.

I still love her though. She's fun to watch. I almost hope she isn't able to control herself because her reactions entertain me so!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think she realizes it too, but I just don't think she'll be able to stop herself next time it happens lol.

I still love her though. She's fun to watch. I almost hope she isn't able to control herself because her reactions entertain me so!

If she can't control them, maybe she can find a way to turn her emotions and reactions into an advantage.  Maybe she can use them to sell herself as less of a threat than she really is and can be sort of a temperamental, semi-goat, who people think they are dragging along for a while.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Maybe. I don't see it happening though. Honestly I just don't think she's much of a player. Physically/at challenges she is an absolute beast. One of the best ever probably. And she is someone I would love to hang out with. But a good strategic/social player she is not imo.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Maybe. I don't see it happening though. Honestly I just don't think she's much of a player. Physically/at challenges she is an absolute beast. One of the best ever probably. And she is someone I would love to hang out with. But a good strategic/social player she is not imo.

I think she understands strategy very well.  She had the whole "rocks and shells" plan laid out last season before Jay blindsided her.  It is her social game that is her weakness.  I think strategy and social game are often intertwined or mistaken for one another.  Michaela is one of the clearest examples of the difference between the social game and strategy.  

• Love 7
9 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

"Fans' darling"?  Speak for yourself.  :)  Michaela never did anything for me except talk big in THs and stomp around camp and challenges with the worst poker face on the planet.  IHMO the only reason Michaela lasted as long as she did her first season was because other idiots were on their knees begging to get booted first.

Michaela is another who I wish would have waited to come back.  I think she maybe needed time to reflect more and learn how to keep a better poker face.  She knows what she needs to do (and not do), she's just not very good at executing it.  I understand her concern at being named a decoy, but it's not like the group talking about voting off Ciera had much time to come up with anyone else not standing there.  She seemed to recognize that it could have cost her.  As I put in the episode thread, I don't mind her speaking up about the 2nd challenge and not being utilized, but she needs to pick her battles a little more carefully at this stage.  People don't care about strong, physical players pre-merge like they did in old school seasons.  That alone could plant a target on her back, since no one saw her season.  I hope she helps out in challenges where she can, but tries to hold back.  As much as I love her candor, I don't want her to get ousted because of it.  There's bigger fish to fry right now.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think she understands strategy very well.  She had the whole "rocks and shells" plan laid out last season before Jay blindsided her.

To me, that didn't make Michaela seem like a strong strategist. I mean the stuff she was talking about with the rocks and shells was super basic stuff. But for whatever reason, and maybe it's her bad social game, Jay thought it made her some kind of strategic mastermind.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

To me, that didn't make Michaela seem like a strong strategist. I mean the stuff she was talking about with the rocks and shells was super basic stuff. But for whatever reason, and maybe it's her bad social game, Jay thought it made her some kind of strategic mastermind.

She was all attitude with not much to back it up.  It appeared, to me, that she came on with a strategy of being tough and led with that rather than waiting until it might have worked into a plan.  I never appreciate watching players who brag about being honest and "telling it like it is."    You have to know how to read the room in this game.  

• Love 2

Like Ciera in both her previous seasons (HA HA!  IT'S IRONIC!) she was right, I think, to be concerned her name came up, even as a decoy.  It means she is a plausible target, which does not bode well for her future; plus if there is an idol (especially this season with no split-votes) she's in big trouble.  She's clearly on the outside already, as an unknown quantity.  Personally I would have loved it if she'd gone to Ciera and worked out something with the two of them (this is what I want everyone whose name comes up to do with their fellow bottom-dwellers), but I knew it wouldn't happen as soon as I heard her say she wanted Ciera gone anyway.  It would have been a risky thing to do, certainly.

I do think she is actually taking a brilliant line in terms of surviving the pre-merge, though.  She keeps saying "look, the only reason I'm here is that I'm good at challenges."  I think that's pretty much the best possible thing an unknown returnee can say; it's not threatening strategically (like, "I got to F4 but blew the final challenge" should worry everybody) and emphasizes that she can help the tribe to win.  And it's not like the truth of it would be in much doubt, since they must all know by now that she's got no poker face at all. 

Michaela (and Zeke) starts off very deep in a hole with no connections and no pre-alliances so it's gonna be a long hard road for her, but having survived two votes already is a good sign.  With this crowd it's unlikely anyone will be terrified of her strategic acumen like Jay was (though we never actually heard what her rocks and shells plan was in detail, did we?  It might have been brilliant, it might not, who knows), so having made it long enough to make some connections, hopefully she will be OK for the pre-merge at least.

• Love 5

I wonder if the other players realize how strong she is in challenges (I don't think they do).

I think she has a good intellectual understanding of the game and what she ought to do, but a poor execution because she is more emotional than she expects to be. But at least she is aware of it, so she could course correct.

She seems quite a loner though, and it's dangerous in the early phase of a game where players are trying to protect their (actual or potential) voting blocks.

• Love 5

I thought we did get a good look at her rocks/shells strategy, and it was just some voting numbers thing that is Survivor 101 to all of us.  Maybe if you had never watched the show, it would seem a little more insightful.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Like Ciera in both her previous seasons (HA HA!  IT'S IRONIC!) she was right, I think, to be concerned her name came up, even as a decoy.  It means she is a plausible target, which does not bode well for her future

I agree with you 100% on this, and I think this recognition could actually be an indication Michaela is extremely intelligent strategically in addition to being a formidable physical challenge performer - depending upon WHY she is concerned.  If Michaela's concern is analytically based, then kudos to her; if her concern is based on pure paranoia, however - which IMHO appeared to be the impression the edit was trying to convey - then not so much.

My primary problem with Michaela is her reaction to her name being picked as the decoy.  If her concern was strategic, then I'd think the smart response would be to try to find out why other players would consider her such a plausible alternative target, and work on improving those perceptions.  Instead, Michaela's response appeared to be limited to making faces, stomping around camp, and all-around doing her best to communicate how upset she was - which is NOT going to advance her game one iota, and could very well damage it.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Like Ciera in both her previous seasons (HA HA!  IT'S IRONIC!) she was right, I think, to be concerned her name came up, even as a decoy.  It means she is a plausible target, which does not bode well for her future; plus if there is an idol (especially this season with no split-votes) she's in big trouble.

I think it means no one knew her, which made her a reasonable-sounding alternative in Ciera's eyes.  (And in fact Ciera bought the ruse, hook, line and sinker.)  If Michaela had played along, she'd have stayed in the background, on no one's radar.  Instead she made the same mistake Ciera did in Second Chance.  She turned safety into danger.  The shuffle, maybe, can give her a fresh start. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

I thought we did get a good look at her rocks/shells strategy, and it was just some voting numbers thing that is Survivor 101 to all of us.  Maybe if you had never watched the show, it would seem a little more insightful.

Yea, I remember us being shown at least some of her diagram and explanation and it really was very Survivor 101. I guess there's a chance afterwards she spit some mad strategy but I don't really think so. Besides, I think we found out afterwards the real reason Jay went after her was because she wanted to target Michelle first at merge and Jay's closest ally was Michelle.

All this being said, I really do love Michaela and she is one of the few people this season that I am excited to see play again.

• Love 3

I thought Michaela showed some good growth in her game play the way she handled Sandra and the goat controversy.  She was able to get the situation resolved the way everyone else wanted it to be, without getting into a fight with Sandra.  

She did great in another team challenge.  Her, Malcolm and JT are a very strong trio.  Their tribe would seem to have an advantage in future challenges. 

• Love 5

So incredibly happy we got to see challenge beast Michaela tonight.  Her performance at TC was amazing, even I think she'd be in the running for a Razzie instead of an Oscar.  She certainly learned how to go along with playing the fake boot, and JT couldn't even see through it.  Drinking the coffee as Jeff got ready to read the votes had to be one of the best Survivor moments ever.  I admit I did get a little nervous for her tonight, especially with the TH after losing the IC that she got voted out last season after losing a sling shot challenge.

• Love 7

I'm so glad that her tribe actually used her in a way that she really delivered for them.  I'm also glad that she seemed to be the only one on the tribe to completely see J.T. for what he really was (or maybe Sandra saw him for what he was, too) and not be willing to kowtow to him.

I just hate that she and my Kaoh Rong fave, Aubry, are against each other.  That Aubry threw in with J.T. over her makes me wonder what kind of company she keeps in real life.

• Love 8

I thought Michaela actually looked pretty bad most of this episode.  For a challenge beast, she had enormous problems walking across the IC balance beam with those bags in her arms.  That put her tribe behind the 8-ball, in a challenge they narrowly lost.  Early in the episode she again had trouble keeping her emotions in check.  She did not come up with the strategy that saved her -- Sandra did -- and seems like everyone on her tribe except Sandra finds her hard to work/live with.  Varner, e.g., described her as "an attitude problem," echoing what JT and Aubry said on several occasions (and Malcolm also believed). 

I just don't think Michaela is devious enough to play Survivor well.  She did ok at TC, though JT's screwups got himself evicted more than anything else.  And again she couldn't resist twisting the knife as JT left, another sign that she takes things real personally and can't control herself that well.

No idea how far she goes, but I will be shocked to see her win Survivor.   

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Vyk said:

I'm so glad that her tribe actually used her in a way that she really delivered for them.  I'm also glad that she seemed to be the only one on the tribe to completely see J.T. for what he really was (or maybe Sandra saw him for what he was, too) and not be willing to kowtow to him.

I just hate that she and my Kaoh Rong fave, Aubry, are against each other.  That Aubry threw in with J.T. over her makes me wonder what kind of company she keeps in real life.

In Aubry's defense, she thought the whole tribe was against Michaela, and might have just been going along.  Plus, in Survivor you sometimes need to make alliances with people that you would never keep company with in real life.

• Love 7

Sandra and Aubry don't get along, so I can see why Sandra would want to keep Aubry shut out of the vote. I do hope Aubry gets more comfortable as the game goes on, and maybe will finally start being able to make moves.  I worry if/when she reunites with Debbie, but I kind of am hoping after her outburst Brad and company will be willing to cut ties with her and she won't be able to mess up Aubry's game any.  She, along with Hali, sure haven't had an easy go of it so far.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, kikaha said:

Early in the episode she again had trouble keeping her emotions in check.

I thought she did fabulously after JT confronted her. I would've slapped him after the 'honey bun' myself! And for someone like Michaela, who admittedly can't hide her true feelings, I thought it showed great growth from her that she didn't confront him.

I can't decide how I feel about all the 'attitude problem' stuff. I mean we've seen absolutely none of that this season. And it was mostly coming from JT whom imo it was clear had a completely irrationally OTT hate for her. Aubry mentioned it too, but she is on the outside of the Sandra/Michael/JT thing, so I don't particularly trust her opinion on that matter.

• Love 10
(edited)

I came across a Podcast that Michaela does and it's called Tea With Michaela B GameChangers. I could only listen for a few minutes before turning it off. My question is I thought the contestants aren't allowed to discuss Survivor until they are voted out?! She went into a full description how they fooled Varner. Of course, Andrea is doing her People online show so maybe CBS is totally laxed on the rules. I was surprised to see Michaela looking all pretty and discussing the show. Does anyone have any intell on this? LOL!!!

Edited by ByaNose
(edited)

Okay, I love the title, and will have to watch later.  I'm not sure what the rules are anymore.  There use to be social media bans for the current contestants, but I don't know if that's still the case or not (they shut down the S32 crew because some of them were leaking spoilers out).  Stephen, I believe, still blogged for People during S31.  It's probably something that would have to get approved by the show and CBS.  Not sure if Michaela got that or not.  Doing something for People I can understand.

I've heard on other sites she might have inadvertently let things slip on her SM accounts about the season, so I'd say those that like to avoid spoilers may want to watch with caution.

Edited by LadyChatts

Michaela has been doing those podcasts all season, pre-season too actually, and as far as I can tell she hasn't spoiled anything. She does a good job just talking about the episode that aired and doesn't say anything about what is coming up next. I don't know what the rules are any more in regards to what these players can and cannot say in social media. There was that one season that they banned them altogether from tweeting during the season though I can't recall waht season that was at the moment. 

It wasn't on this, but other forms of her SM.  I was just giving the heads up in case she slipped up here.  I think SJDS they were banned from tweeting or talking much about the show, because I remember people saying during WA that they wish they'd put the ban back in place.  KR they got a ban mid season thanks to Scot and Jason.

I didn't know Michaela had been doing these for that long, but I hope she keeps going.  Can't wait to listen to it!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

It wasn't on this, but other forms of her SM.  I was just giving the heads up in case she slipped up here.  I think SJDS they were banned from tweeting or talking much about the show, because I remember people saying during WA that they wish they'd put the ban back in place.  KR they got a ban mid season thanks to Scot and Jason.

I didn't know Michaela had been doing these for that long, but I hope she keeps going.  Can't wait to listen to it!

Thanks, LadyChatts! I remember hearing about the bans but couldn't remember which seasons and the backstory. I guess everyone knew that the Dirty30 (who I hate) went way overboard with social media in the Survivor world. Did it help or hurt? I don't really know. Then TPTB went totally overboard with the SJDS locking them down and then Scot & Jason got scolded because they were spoilery and BITTER. LOL!!! This season has been a nice mix. It seems pretty friendly and I think some of them don't even do social media such as JT, Hali & Sierra Dawn.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/30/2017 at 3:33 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I thought she did fabulously after JT confronted her. I would've slapped him after the 'honey bun' myself! And for someone like Michaela, who admittedly can't hide her true feelings, I thought it showed great growth from her that she didn't confront him.

I can't decide how I feel about all the 'attitude problem' stuff. I mean we've seen absolutely none of that this season. And it was mostly coming from JT whom imo it was clear had a completely irrationally OTT hate for her. Aubry mentioned it too, but she is on the outside of the Sandra/Michael/JT thing, so I don't particularly trust her opinion on that matter.

I feel like the first scene we saw of her (last season) she was so full of attitude problem I still have a strong dislike of her.  So I found it amusing that JT did, too.  I think that people who are bugged by that personality are really bugged by it?  Even just her slow, monotone speech annoys me.  I know people loved the 'tea' thing and the braid whip but I cringe and roll my eyes at that stuff.  If a man did anything like whipping braids at a woman, on her way out especially, I feel like he'd be vilified.  Plus it's not like she really outplayed JT.  She was viewed as less of a threat is all.  

Didn't someone on BB do the braid whip thing, too?  I found it obnoxious there, too, not cute and sassy.  

Edited by Guest
2 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I feel like the first scene we saw of her (last season) she was so full of attitude problem I still have a strong dislike of her.  So I found it amusing that JT did, too.  I think that people who are bugged by that personality are really bugged by it?  Even just her slow, monotone speech annoys me.  I know people loved the 'tea' thing and the braid whip but I cringe and roll my eyes at that stuff.  If a man did anything like whipping braids at a woman, on her way out especially, I feel like he'd be vilified.  Plus it's not like she really outplayed JT.  She was viewed as less of a threat is all.  

Didn't someone on BB do the braid whip thing, too?  I found it obnoxious there, too, not cute and sassy.  

It was Da'Vonne Rogers who did the braid whip:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_brother/cast/215243/

3 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I found her behavior, while admittedly amusing, to be a bit rich.  I mean, she was lording it like she was the mastermind of JT's ouster, and doesn't realize that Sandra is playing her like a fiddle!  I mean she even laughed when she found out that Sandra had caused the spat between those two in the first place.  More amazing Sandra!  I think Michaela looked a bit foolish.  And, ya know, pride cometh before the fall. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Special K said:

I found her behavior, while admittedly amusing, to be a bit rich.  I mean, she was lording it like she was the mastermind of JT's ouster, and doesn't realize that Sandra is playing her like a fiddle!  I mean she even laughed when she found out that Sandra had caused the spat between those two in the first place.  More amazing Sandra!  I think Michaela looked a bit foolish.  And, ya know, pride cometh before the fall. 

Who will outlast who? Sandra or Michaela? I would hope Sandra but she's still a big target so I would think she gets voted out first. I agree that Sandra is playing her. She might like her but she's playing her, too.

6 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I think that people who are bugged by that personality are really bugged by it?  Even just her slow, monotone speech annoys me.

Yea, that's definitely it, but that's true of everyone. Some people love JT's personality (like every man on Tocantins), but some people think his personality is that of a woman-hating idiot.

But yes Michaela certainly has a classic kind of 'either you love her or you hate her' personality.

• Love 5

I think she'll definitely fit in much better on her new tribe.  No one seems willing to target her right now.

She kicked ass, as usual, in the challenge, so I can see her being kept around for challenge strength for quite some time.

• Love 6

Cirie mentioned in last night's episode that she was a lot like Michaela when she was younger. I'm now wondering if in 10 or 15 years' time we could have a Michaela who's got those Cirie-like traits on the show. That would be intriguing.

• Love 2

I'm baffled, as I was on her original season, why people, especially other viewers, dislike Michaela so much going on so little. Ok she frowns and doesn't mince words, but a lot of other people make unappealing faces even more, she doesn't even seem to talk all that much and yet people are constantly dog-piling on her. Sierra's (and Brad's) dislike of her seems so out of proportion with what I've been shown of Michaela on both this season and her original season, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since they are there and around her all the time and I'm not, but why other viewers sitting at home who I'm assuming aren't seeing some super-secret Michaela is vile footage that I'm not privy to? There are so many more objectionable people still on this season than her, but she always seems to get the lion's share of the dislike for relatively tame stuff or basically nothing at all except existing and breathing.

It's starting to get really fucking annoying. I'm also sick of arguments that basically seem to boil down to it's not racist until a white person says it is and gives their ok. It's to the point where I don't even want to read the episode thread anymore, ugh.

• Love 14

I've always liked Michaela. She's smart and entertains the hell out of me. I can see how she might rub people the wrong way but I'm also very blunt so it doesn't bother me at all.

As for the last part of your comment, I don't know what race other posters are so I can't agree or disagree with you but the conversation seems to have moved on so you're probably safe to poke your head in there again.

• Love 4

Michaela is one of the last bright spots for me this season, and I really hope she can find a way out from under the bottom.  I don't know why she's disliked by her fellow castaways this season.  Some (like JT) seem obvious.  Sierra?  No idea.  Didn't Michaela ask Zeke last night, in front of Sierra, if he was saying anything about her.  All I heard him say was that she was a challenge beast, but who knows if he went further than that and we weren't shown.  Mr. Big Moves Zeke may not have a problem tattling to the wrong alliance.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3