Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Episode 4

• Start Topic

Oh I forgot about that scene! Dot was just being nice and bringing her godson a present for his birthday. I really didn't understand Marnie's problem. What was wrong with Dot giving the son a present? I get that Marnie felt bad that she couldn't buy her son a present, but wow to not allow her son the present Dot brought him was petty.

I think her issue was that the son didn't know it was his birthday, and she couldn't afford anything, so she was just going to pretend the birthday wasn't happening.  Marnie bringing in a gift messed up that plan, and left her in the embarrassing and awkward position of not being able to get her son anything.   

I find myself really angry about this.  CtM used to do a much better job of showing the truth of their characters.  They were careful to show the humanity of their "bad" characters and show the very real flaws of characters we loved.  Sister Ursula was misdrawn from start to finish and those writers should be ashamed.  To have an actor of Harriet Walter's caliber and waste her on sloppy writing is an insult to her talent and intelligence but she sure gave it her best.  She didn't have to be a saint.  Make her an adversary - she rocks that - but give us a character we can enjoy even when we know she is wrong.  These are the first episodes I don't think I'll be rewatching much.

I truly believe (but have nothing to actually prove this) that they initially had a season long arc planned for her, but at some point during the writing and filming process, they realized that Ursula wasn't working as a character and quickly wrote her out.  That's the only reason, for which I can think for the abruptness of her exit and the fact that the character appeared to serve no real purpose in the overall storyline. 

I loved the Jamaican nurse.  Would like to see her as a recurring character. 

I do hope we see her again.  She made quite an impression. 

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Oh I forgot about that scene! Dot was just being nice and bringing her godson a present for his birthday. I really didn't understand Marnie's problem. What was wrong with Dot giving the son a present? I get that Marnie felt bad that she couldn't buy her son a present, but wow to not allow her son the present Dot brought him was petty.

I think her issue was that the son didn't know it was his birthday, and she couldn't afford anything, so she was just going to pretend the birthday wasn't happening.  Marnie bringing in a gift messed up that plan, and left her in the embarrassing and awkward position of not being able to get her son anything.   

Yes; that was the problem.

And just to be technical, Dot wasn't actually the son's godmother; since she didn't believe in religion she had refused the position, although she obviously felt close to him.

Dot and her husband may need to keep silent on their feelings concerning organized religion if they decide to adopt, as many orphanages are probably church related.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2

Does anyone know why Sister Julienne put a blue head covering on after praying in her room at the beginning of the episode? They made such a point of showing it that it must be significant.

I don't know but I am guessing that it has something to do with her being "in charge" once again.  Maybe the highest ranking sister gets to wear the blue veil? I can't say I ever noticed it before, and I don't think Sister Ursula wore one so I could be wrong.

37 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

And just to be technical, Dot wasn't actually the son's godmother; since she didn't believe in religion she had refused the position, although she obviously felt close to him.

I swear that Dot referred to the son Kevin as my "godson" but I'm probably misremembering.  

10 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Does anyone know why Sister Julienne put a blue head covering on after praying in her room at the beginning of the episode? They made such a point of showing it that it must be significant.

I don't know but I am guessing that it has something to do with her being "in charge" once again.  Maybe the highest ranking sister gets to wear the blue veil? I can't say I ever noticed it before, and I don't think Sister Ursula wore one so I could be wrong.

That's what I thought at first, but she wasn't wearing it later, while working.  Maybe all the nuns wear white while acting as midwives, and she wears the blue in her "off" hours? I'd have to go back and look more carefully.

I read that generally, the white veil is for novices, the darker or black veil is for "professed" nuns. There are a couple of good articles online, one that is about the original order that inspired this TV series.  Do a search for Nonnatus House.  Great story.

I'm still not seeing Dot as a villain. We don't know that their were strings, do we? Do we have any reason to believe that Dot and husband wouldn't help her? My impression from what she said at the beginning with Tom was that she was too proud to ask for help. 

Yeah, frankly, I kinda liked Dot better than Marnie. Marnie rubbed me the wrong way when she snapped at Trixie at the beginning. I understand she was under incredible stress but she should have just asked Trixie to come back at another time. 

In the end it was a rare clumsy storyline by the show. Abject single parenthood poverty and infertility - both tragic.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Phyllis objected to the male candidate who responded to the placement ad because he wouldn't be able to do midwifery duties, and when Sister Julienne brought up district nursing, Phyllis pointed out that 50 percent of their time is spent on midwifery, and nixed men for that reason. So it did seem they didn't want someone with no midwifery training, even though I assumed all along that the new nurse would end up being Vera in the end. 

Vera would be able to train as a midwife, even though she isn't currently qualified, whereas a male nurse would not be able to train as a midwife at all.

38 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

I understand she was under incredible stress but she should have just asked Trixie to come back at another time. 

I thought she did, and Trixie persuaded Marnie to let her in by complaining about her time and not wanting to have to come back later.

• Love 3

The two mothers who lost their babies, at least for a time, were absolutely terrific in their rolls. A very severe episode. But looking back I keep thinking of things I really enjoyed. I loved the musical montage with the cousin and her husband trying to feed the baby, and the Sisters interviewing possible midwives, to Roy Orbison's Sweet Dreams Baby. I had to go hunt that song down.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:
15 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Phyllis objected to the male candidate who responded to the placement ad because he wouldn't be able to do midwifery duties, and when Sister Julienne brought up district nursing, Phyllis pointed out that 50 percent of their time is spent on midwifery, and nixed men for that reason. So it did seem they didn't want someone with no midwifery training, even though I assumed all along that the new nurse would end up being Vera in the end. 

Vera would be able to train as a midwife, even though she isn't currently qualified, whereas a male nurse would not be able to train as a midwife at all.

The above bolded quote is from caitcmg (and was embedded in my quote) but that still doesn't explain why Vera's letter of acceptance welcomed her as a midwife. She'll have to do a "revision", like Delia, to become one, meaning less time to do her regular nursing duties in Poplar, I would assume.

I guess it wouldn't have made sense to have Vera be a retired midwife working at a Poplar bar, who would be available to help at the dock explosion, and then be invited to work at Nonnatus house, so they gave her the wartime nursing backstory.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse

I temporarily forgot about Vera and hoped they would hire Nurse Douglas (the Jamaican nurse at what I guess was the hospital).  She seemed well qualified and I liked her.

• Love 2

One small clarification-the new nurse's name is Valerie, not Vera. Also, the show hasn't indicated at this point if she's a certified midwife or not. She said "I'm a nurse" when she was introducing herself to Shelagh in episode 2 because that was relevant. She didn't need to say if she was a midwife or not, because a midwife was not needed in that situation.

Also, about the black veil--this has been referred to in previous episodes as the "prayer veil". It's what the sisters wear for chapel. They wear the white wimples most of the time, but the black veils are for when they have their prayer services, several times a day.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Beezella said:

The two mothers who lost their babies, at least for a time, were absolutely terrific in their rolls. A very severe episode. But looking back I keep thinking of things I really enjoyed. I loved the musical montage with the cousin and her husband trying to feed the baby, and the Sisters interviewing possible midwives, to Roy Orbison's Sweet Dreams Baby. I had to go hunt that song down.

Love Roy Orbison. Was singing every word along with the music on the episode. 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Beldasnoop said:

Also, the show hasn't indicated at this point if she's a certified midwife or not. She said "I'm a nurse" when she was introducing herself to Shelagh in episode 2 because that was relevant. She didn't need to say if she was a midwife or not, because a midwife was not needed in that situation.

It's true tat the show has not yet said that she is not a midwife. I think we have all assumed that to be the case because it has been stated that her nursing experience was as a military nurse, which would presumably not, in that time, call for midwifery. We shall presumably learn more in the coming episodes.

1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

The above bolded quote is from caitcmg (and was embedded in my quote) but that still doesn't explain why Vera's letter of acceptance welcomed her as a midwife. She'll have to do a "revision", like Delia, to become one, meaning less time to do her regular nursing duties in Poplar, I would assume.

I guess it wouldn't have made sense to have Vera be a retired midwife working at a Poplar bar, who would be available to help at the dock explosion, and then be invited to work at Nonnatus house, so they gave her the wartime nursing backstory.

I saw these shows at the UK pace and my memory says there was a section of Valerie's interview with Sister Julienne that addressed this very question. If I could be 100% sure of my memory (which I can't) I'd be more emphatic. However, the fact that we know that scenes are deleted for airing in the US makes me think I really did see this:

Valerie explains her nursing history was in the war (which I think we already knew) but that there WERE women that they dealt with (there are women in and around armies at war) and that her unit had their share of pregnancies. It bare bones indicated that Valerie had experience in delivering babies which meant she might be easier to integrate while being trained as a midwife. That's what I was left with after I saw the episode. Can't find anything addressing that as a missing piece however (see post re: usual go to blogs not active this season). I only know that I didn't have any feeling that the issue was left unaddressed.

ETA: I found a script online. It's hard to follow as there's only words, no descriptions of who's talking or where the dialogue takes place, BUT all I found was Sister Julienne going to Valerie and asking her to apply. Sr J asked why Valerie resigned from the military and the reply that they had "plenty of curing. Not quite so much caring."

I think that was also in the US version. I did not find the part I remembered (reminder of the quirks of memory). BUT part of the problem Sister Julienne encountered was a lack of understanding by the recent crop of applicants of the scope (both physical and emotional) of the job, and she knew Valerie DID understand that - especially because she'd been living and working among the people she would be caring for. It definitely was a judgement call by Sr. Julienne. She still had the luxury of hiring someone she felt would work well with the established team and the over all philosophy (this is more than a "job").

Edited by Anothermi
updated
  • Love 2

I admit to knowing very little about the National Health Service in England, especially in 1962, but aren't the nurses/midwives paid by the NHS?  And what about Dr. Turner?  Did GPs earn a set amount, or an amount per patient?  I am curious what they would have been paid, and how that would equate to 2017 wages. 

37 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Valerie doesn't look nearly old enough to have been a nurse in the war, which ended in 1945. It's now 1962. 

I was thinking the same. It's possible that she could have been in the Korean war...but did she actually say that she had been a nurse during the war, or that she was a military nurse? Because she could have been a military nurse after the war, which seems much more likely.

• Love 2

I thought she said war and I think the speculation earlier was that it was Korea.  Which could make sense - it ended in 53 and if she was a young nurse she'd be in her 30's at this point.

• Love 2

She didn't specifically speak of being in a war that I can remember (although she did talk about "men yelling" in episode 2), and the scene in the pub was uncut--I have the UK DVDs. I try not to post too much info on here about that because I don't want to accidentally give away spoilers. As of episode 4, what's known about Valerie as far as I can remember is that a) she was a nurse in the Queen Alexandra's Army Corp (which is a real unit). B) She left the army and was working in her aunt's pub. C) Sister Julienne offered her the job but she had to apply in writing. 

From this information, I would assume that if she had any midwifery training/certification, she would mention that when she wrote to apply for the job.

Also, for the person who asked about Trixie's being out of breath, there was a small subplot about Trixie's being out of shape because she didn't keep up her exercise routine when she was in South Africa. There was another scene at the Keep Fit class and a few scenes at Nonnatus that were cut from the PBS airing. The cuts are frustrating because although they try to keep relevant scenes for the most important episode plots, what they often sacrifice are good character moments that add a lot to the overall tone of the show. For instance, in the thread for episode 1, I noticed a few people mentioning how bleak the episode seemed. Although that episode did have some bleak subject matter, the edits actually made it bleaker because they cut out most of the "comic relief" scenes from the original version.  If you want to see the whole show, I highly recommend the DVDs. The US editions will be released in May and they are the complete, unedited show. 

Edited by Beldasnoop
  • Love 3

I think this whole back story with Valerie will remain a continuity conundrum.  I suppose it's possible that military nurses in the UK had some midwife training,  however that was not the case in the US until the 1970's.  Before that time, while there were military hospitals on bases that had OB services for dependents, there were obstetricians that handled the births.  And midwives today stick to their specialty, they RE  unlikely to be doing nursing for adult males except in an emergency.

Thanks, Beldasnoop, for being careful with spoilers!  It can't be easy.

That delivery was brutal - even the doctor put his foot on the table while pulling for more leverage. I was half afraid he was going to tear that baby's head off!

Laughing at the review of applicants. No men, because a man cannot become a licensed midwife. No Americans, because... American. (lol  :) )

Sister J talking to Vera in the pub, as noted elsewhere (in the US version) she never mentioned or asked about midwife training, just told her to apply. But as an army nurse, surely she would have had training in delivering babies too. Anyway, her acceptance letter says

It is with great pleasure that I would like to offer you the position of District Midwife with us here at Nonnatus House.

Your experience was especially evident at the dockyard fire where your courage and practicality in an emergency were clearly evident.

Sister J must know things we don't know, but we will find out in coming episodes if she has to do full midwife training. I expect to see her in some sort of training tho. Surely she'd have to have some sort of refresher, in nursing as well, to get her licensing back up to date?

Someone upthread said they thought she looked too young to have served in WW2. I don't recall her mentioning in either episode having served during a war, but if that were the case there's always Korea.

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:41 AM, txhorns79 said:

I truly believe (but have nothing to actually prove this) that they initially had a season long arc planned for her, but at some point during the writing and filming process, they realized that Ursula wasn't working as a character and quickly wrote her out.  That's the only reason, for which I can think for the abruptness of her exit and the fact that the character appeared to serve no real purpose in the overall storyline. 

Honestly, I think you might be right and I prefer to think about it this way.  I couldn't stand to think they treated Harriet Walters this shabbily on purpose; I was so looking forward to her.  Looking at the way they were introducing her before the season started showing it really seemed that she was going to be a major character and at Nonnatus on a permanent basis.

I feel a bit comforted.  Thanks for sharing this.

• Love 2
On 4/28/2017 at 11:32 PM, latetotheparty said:

Honestly, I think you might be right and I prefer to think about it this way.  I couldn't stand to think they treated Harriet Walters this shabbily on purpose; I was so looking forward to her.  Looking at the way they were introducing her before the season started showing it really seemed that she was going to be a major character and at Nonnatus on a permanent basis.

I feel a bit comforted.  Thanks for sharing this.

I'm wondering if her storyline was written in after Miranda Hart was unable to rejoin the show. 

There was a cut scene early on where the Jamaican nurse shooed the visitors  out of the room so she could bring in the woman who eventually ended up miscarrying.  

• Love 1
On 4/25/2017 at 3:57 PM, Beezella said:

Can someone tell me where Trixie was out of breath? There was a little bit of Keep Fit toward the beginning where Barbara came in late. But Trixie was just standing there. I am wondering if it was cut on my station?

I saw it in the U.S. and don't remember anything about Trixie being short of breath, and the posts that mention her being out of breath are from February, when it aired in the U.K. and before it aired here.  So I'd say it was cut in the U.S. version.

On 4/25/2017 at 8:12 PM, Calvada said:

But wouldn't a copy of the script be given to the company doing the captioning?  Or does that make too much sense?

I use captions 100% of the time and have noticed that the captions on Seinfeld in particular don't exactly match what comes out of the characters' mouths.  In that case, it looks like they do use the script, and that the actors have deviated from the script a little.  Minor but obvious differences, like "How many cars were there?" in the captions but "There were how many cars?" was spoken. 

On some news programs, I think they use the script because the captions say something like "ad lib" sometimes, and the people are indeed ad-libbing something like, "That's a real heartwarming story.  I hope he makes it."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Makes sense until you see "Marnie" become "Barney" in the CC!  Then it looks like ad libbing isn't the issue.

I've seen some where they seem to be specifically going by what they (the captioner, I'm guessing) hears phonetically. Especially in programs with people with strong accents. "M" and "B" are sounds that can be similar if slurred (or if the speaker has a cold).

I think it's probably a mix of issues, some captioning firms may get scripts from some production firms (in those cases it's probably ad libs that are an issue) and other firms may work off the episode, making it more about what the individual captioner hears. I really feel for those captioners who have to work with live tv. That seems like it would be very stressful.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
On February 12, 2017 at 6:37 PM, MissLucas said:

This show is normally more subtle.

Do you think so? I love this show, but subtlety is not its strong point. 

On April 24, 2017 at 1:36 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

These normally sensitive midwives are in complete denial about the patient's decision to place her child for adoption.  Certainly, it happens and who would be so cruel to keep pushing the mother to bond.  I mean, it's NOT the midwife's decision.  Then to stand around with a look of disappointment.  So bizarre.  What a disservice.   Adoptions can absolutely be the best option for a family and the child.  Lazy writing, imo.

Tons of yes. She said she wanted to give up the child; she had every reason to believe this was the best decision. Honor that. Were we supposed to think the Andrew staying with his mum was a happy ending? Because maybe not. I hated this, and making Dot and husband shallow and materialistic middle-classers was lazy. I find this show does this quite a lot. 

What bugged me that Tom was so against Marni giving up her baby, but then he heartily recommended to Dot's husband that he go try and adopt another kid. So...why is it not OK for Marni to give up her baby, but perfectly OK for some other woman to? Because you're entitled to substitute your judgment for a parishioner? Ick. I hated this whole storyline and hated Tom and the midwives' involvement in it.

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, bourbon said:

Do you think so? I love this show, but subtlety is not its strong point. 

I think that the show in the early seasons was more subtle then it is now. I kind of feel like the show now takes a issue and then hits you over the head with this is how you should feel or this is the right solution. ---or maybe I'm just remembering the early seasons with rose colored glasses on and this is how it has always been.

55 minutes ago, bourbon said:

Ick. I hated this whole storyline and hated Tom and the midwives' involvement in it.

I also disliked the whole adoption storyline and how judgmental everyone seemed.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:19 AM, cardigirl said:

I really wish previouslytv would provide a transcript to go along with the podcasts. I miss reading the recaps.

Yes, I don't have time for a podcast (33 minutes!), but always read the recaps. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, jjj said:

Yes, I don't have time for a podcast (33 minutes!), but always read the recaps. 

This. I can read a recap in a few minutes, but I'm not going to sit my butt down and watch a podcast - unless it's something earthshaking, and a recap doesn't ever meet that criteria.

• Love 5

These normally sensitive midwives are in complete denial about the patient's decision to place her child for adoption.  Certainly, it happens and who would be so cruel to keep pushing the mother to bond.  I mean, it's NOT the midwife's decision.  Then to stand around with a look of disappointment.  So bizarre.  What a disservice.   Adoptions can absolutely be the best option for a family and the child.  Lazy writing, imo

It also made no sense in the context of the times.  In the early 60's, women surrendered children for adoption far more often than they do now.  In addition, the common thought was that these women should NOT see their babies, let alone hold them or feed them; that it would be better if they had no contact at all.  Even back when I was an OB resident in the early 80's, babies given for adoption were whisked out of the room and taken directly to the nursery unless the birth mother requested otherwise, and they almost never did.  The mothers were also given the option of being sent to a room on the medical surgical unit rather than the postpartum floor.  I know the show wants us to believe that the midwives at Nonnatus are much more special and sensitive to their patients than other medical professionals, but it just doesn't ring true at all. It was an anachronism, IMO.

I also was dismayed that the show seemed to imply that it was a bad thing that Dot and her husband had a nice home and were able to afford nice, new things for the baby.  We heard Dot talking to the hair salon that she ran.  Presumably, she worked hard to get the training and save the money to start her own business so she could provide more for herself and family than she had as a kid.  Nothing wrong with that. Her lack of religious faith would've probably been frowned upon in that day and age, especially since she was so outspoken about it, and it was also unnecessary to the plot, IMO, but perhaps stuck in there to make her more unlikeable in contrast to the nuns and the vicar. 

Back in the early 60's, I would expect that many, if not most, people would've applauded Dot and her husband for helping Marnie out by paying her bills (we saw the husband write a check to the landlord) and agreeing to raise her child in relative comfort as their own.

• Love 8
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:33 AM, Fireball said:

I know this is a bit odd, but it bothered me that Barbara was shown walking around serving everyone at the table food/dessert. I can't remember when someone has ever been shown walking around serving the food. To me, it felt like see Barbara is going to be such a good wife she'll be seen and not heard! I get that she had no connection to the child being adopted, but why couldn't she have been just sitting at the table while the discussion was going on? I'll admit that my annoyance most likely steams from my annoyance with the writers and how they have handled Barbara. 

I think it is just showing Barbara's life as a stand in for her mother as a minister's wife. Weren't we told at some point (I think during one of the drinking scenes in Trixie's room) that she often helped her father in his ministerial duties as a wife would?

• Love 2
(edited)

That was a very depressing episode. Sheilagh's baby saved doesn't make up for the two babies lost. 

On 2017-02-16 at 5:31 PM, kieyra said:

Something I haven't seen mentioned is the way the male obstetrician acted as overlord over the women's health, and the women were not allowed to participate in their own care. He was "prepared to consider" whether the one woman would be allowed to have the cervix procedure, and while taking his time considering, she miscarried. Even Sheilagh was quickly negged by him when she spoke up. Doctors playing "God" is a familiar theme, but it was still shocking to see how thoroughly the women were disregarded as actual people.

Sadly I thought that was all too realistic of doctors not just in the sixties but later too.  Patients were disregarded, especially women.  I remember a surgeon friend of my father's who when asked by a patient for more information of his operation said "If you want a medical lecture, go to medical school."  And all the other doctors cheered him.

I felt Marnie's pain but I ended the episode thinking how selfish she was being.  Dot and Eugene were a loving couple who could have given the baby both love and life essentials.  Everything pointed to them being very good parents.  If Marnie had loved her son unselfishly, he could  have grown up with two loving parents who would have given him anything he could. Instead she's condemned her three children to a childhood of poverty and a mother possibly too stressed to meet their emotional needs.

I kept shouting at Tom "tell Marnie you were adopted and had a good life" because it might have relieved her mind.  A fail for both Tom and Marnie.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

I think I finally figured out why the midwives seemed so opposed/bothered by Marnie's adoption plans, versus the unmarried mothers they work with all the time. 

Marnie is married. Even though her husband has run off she is still a married woman and considered 'respectable'. There was no immoral activitiy involved in the conception and therefore it's a great tragedy that she's giving up her child. She's considered a fit mother, even though there is no father in picture.

The unmarried mothers on the othe rhand are considered to have been 'naughty' and the only way to redeem the mistake they've made (premartial sex) is to give up their children for adoption. The nuns/nurses might be compassionate and kind but in the end if the father won't marry the pregnant woman, then it's off to the unwed mother's home. Use the side door for your check ups and keep it all a big secrect, even if half the women on your street were pregnant at their own weddings. It's the Way Things Are.

Marnie's situation doesn't line up with this, which causes the mental discordance.

• Love 1
On 4/23/2017 at 11:05 PM, Driad said:

Some TV show, maybe a couple of years ago, had a patient with an incompetent cervix, and they did the stitch that they were planning to do on this episode. Does anyone know what show that was?

Coming at you several months late, but it was in Downton Abbey. 

I really liked this episode! I love Shelagh and Gloria chatting as they sat there all day. It must be terribly boring to be on bed rest, especially pre-internet. Gloria's dream of meeting Shelagh on the street with both of them pushing prams had me crying buckets myself. I love this show.

As for Marnie and Dot, I thought both were very sympathetic. I couldn't help but wonder, though, if Dot and her husband took back money after Marnie took back the baby. What a terrible position to be in. I agree that keeping her baby made her situation worse, but I can't possibly imagine what it must feel like to be in such a position. I'm sure she found some way to keep her three children safe and well-fed. Women have had to make do like that for millenia and she was lucky enough to have to do it in a giving, understanding community that seemed to have many more resources than others. If nothing else, she could have Tom and the church's help.

• Love 1
On 2017-04-24 at 6:30 PM, howiveaddict said:

I remember either the show or one of the books doing an adoption story where the mother had had an affair with a black man, and thus immediately gave the baby up for adoption. She may have told husband the baby died.  No one acted shocked like on this episode. Also, there was a story in the book where the mother was married to an older man, and had a biracial baby.  Older husband, excepted child like it was his own, never commenting on the baby's looks.  Of course, this was several years ago and I could be remembering totally wrong.  Don't ask me what I had to eat yesterday.

If Downton Abbey had Anna get her cervix sewed shut, then why did this physician wait until it was too late to sew up this lady's cervix?  Not like it was a brand new thing like he acted.    He really was a d bag doctor.

I used to go to a male gyno.  He would do uterine ablations, in the office, with only nitrous oxide.  I thought he was killing me, it hurt so bad.   Later I found out that the procedure is usually done under general anesthetic.  He wanted to charge the whole fee for himself. Also, he could practice more how he wanted being in a private office.  I now have a female gyno.  

I watched the episode recently and the husband threatened that he'd get rid of the baby if she didn't so the Turners fostered the baby for a night and he was later adopted out.  The other couple was a marriage of circumstance where she married the older man to support her children from a previous marriage, felt trapped and cheated and the husband accepted the baby as his own. There was an implication that he might've been infertile with low self-esteem which is why he accepted her and her children without a second thought.

• Love 2
On 5/8/2017 at 7:10 AM, Clanstarling said:

This. I can read a recap in a few minutes, but I'm not going to sit my butt down and watch a podcast - unless it's something earthshaking, and a recap doesn't ever meet that criteria.

You don't have to watch a podcast, you just listen. I listen to podcasts while I'm driving, cooking, cleaning, etc. 

WOSU reruns these on Sunday at 7 and I just saw this one again.

I really disliked the search for a new midwife.  It seemed very unlikely that a steady stream of nursing applicants would all be flighty, silly types who were smoking as they arrived.  Sister Julienne, who usually brings the others up short over the slightest bit of judgment about race, income, marital status,  or incestuous relationships -- nods in agreement when Nurse Crane says, "No Americans!"  Thanks a lot.   When we're such devoted fans of their show you'd think it would be in their interest to at least pretend to like us.

• Love 3

Although  I enjoy the bits of comic relief included in this show, the applicants for the new midwife part did not ring true. It was too over the top. None of the people who showed up looked like they would be interested in working in that neighborhood--or that was how they were portrayed. I also thinking adding an American might have been fun.

The adoption story line was not enjoyable, making this one of my least favorite episodes. It was a downer. 

• Love 1