Type keyword(s) to search

APB - General Discussion

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

A gang of thieves murder a former police officer-turned-security guard who was using the APB app before his death; Gideon uses a redesigned feedback chair from the aerospace industry in the investigation room.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes

A non-invasive lie-detector chair. Cool. I wonder if that's Constitutional. So Ada has tech resources beyond Gideon's reach. She can't really be so ignorant to believe that people can be jailed on the statistical probability of committing a crime, ala Minority Report.

I guess it's nice to go ahead and get Murphy's "Taking it personal!" case out of the way, since that always happens on any police show.  She actually wasn't as bad compared the norm.  Didn't even hit the suspect!  Hey, for this genre, that's alone is pretty tame!

Of course, Gideon had invented a chair that is basically a lie detector, even though it was originally made to monitor astronauts' health.  It's going to be pretty strange if we never see it again, considering how successful it apparently is.

Background on Ada.  She was an victim of parental abuse and still has connections to some kind of underground hacker (or is it an entire hacker organization?)  Even if she accomplished what she wanted and it was for the right reasons, I have a feeling owning this guy "favors" will cause issues.

Show needs more of Tech Pete.

The Sanjay Gupta cameo was strange, but I guess he was pretty decent on the "non-actor acting" scale.  I was amused that apparently Salma Hayek crashes Gideon's parties.

Still not interested in this opposing task force led by Murphy's ex.

I have got to hand it to the show:  They've got some cool new ways to have the good guys win.  

Of course the hacker is going to cause all kinds of draaama.  But, those particularly vicious and dangerous outlaws getting a dirt nap was 100000% earned.  I am perfectly satisfied that the dialing of the number is legal.  That was an imminent threat of multiple capital murders, including cops.  It's no different than if she managed a lucky shot hitting a stick of dynamite, or some such, causing the explosion.

The bio chair is much more problematic, but again, I am fine with it.  To me, her jurisdictional lie (Texas; death penalty) was a much bigger issue.  

A nice question occurs:  What if this was all in prevention of a terrorist act?  How is that materially different from what was going on?  

I am so over Murph barking orders and instructions like she is a Captain.  We do not need to see and hear all that to accept her special status.  It's incredibly distracting when such orders would already have been given in any competent district and are belayed just so she can have hero moments.  Bleccccch!

OK.  If there are only a few modified Cadillac units (I've seen three) why on earth would Murph, the junior-most detective, be given one when she is off duty?  That's how it was at the top of this ep.  Ridiculous.

I thought this episode was pretty good. It was certainly quite a bit of fun and had good dialogue. I'm enjoying watching Darth Ada develop, and watching Reeves start to understand his right-hand woman can use one hand to type and the other to hold the dagger. I thought it was a nice touch to have her be so desperate to save people that she enlisted her hacker 'friend' to set off the bomb before it could be placed, and then later sat watching in horror at what she'd chosen to do. I like that she has a conscience about having caused someone else's death, even though killing them was the action available to her that produced the greatest good. I also liked that she was all about getting down to business once she got back to the precinct and cut off Reeves when he was asking about her split lip. Ada is definitely my favorite character after this episode because she seems the most real.

Both my wife and I greatly enjoyed the way Reeves modified that chair for the interrogation. Sure, it's a little out there, but it seems like something that could actually be done. I'm not sure it would produce the results they showed on the computer monitor during the interrogation, but if it got anywhere near that ... well, that could be pretty handy.

We're excited for the next episode. Personally, I'm excited for the next episode because something goes wrong, which feeds into the crusade against Reeves. Not that I want to see Reeves go down or anything, but having things go wrong is just going to happen. And when there's a crusade against him, those things that just naturally go sideways are going to be used against him. So that whole scenario feels real to me and that's exciting. Hopefully, they write it as well as I am imagining they have.

• Love 1

Well of course seven minutes is too long for a camera to be dark-!  And why wasn't half the precinct descending on that warehouse instead of three cops, Gideon and a drone?

But i'm still liking the toys. :)

A couple of really good things in this ep.  Much appreciated by moi.

First was the genuine badassery of the arms merchant.  Not a lot of talk.  Just....bang.  The instant Tico was no longer of any use to him, buh bye.  I wasn't sure as to why he didn't beat the crud out of Brandt, or shoot off a finger or three.  I decided he calculated he might could get more intel out of him by being a tad less brutal.  But, how refreshing that Tico (callback name to one of my very favorite movie characters evah (Tuco in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly)???) was dispatched so menacingly and quickly.

The other was that the Mayor's lackey actually played it straight with Reyes.  Then, he smartly outlined some real world issues that are totally legit.  I am glad that he has some depth to him and is not just a scumbag ex.

It was also relieving that Reyes finnnnnnally owned up to going all cowboy and his wound was all on him.

This show needs as much realism as it can manage.  We got more of it in this ep then the first three, in my opinion.

I have one major problem with this show, they are now making it a plot device to blame the billionaire guy for endangering the lives of cops, which does not make any freakin' sense, whatsoever.

Didn't they have crappy cars and crappy gear before he took over? Weren't crime rates significantly higher without the APB app? Logically, they took much higher risks than they do with the new gear and cars, and yet they turn against him?

Doesn't make any sense, and if the writers dumbed it down this early to come up with such an obviously flawed plot device, I don't know if we can hope for a good story.

Also, wasn't it the new bulletproof gear that saved the cop's life when he was shot in the first episode? He would have been dead with the old gear, and they blame the guy who basically saved his life, it is hilarious. I'm sorry, but how freakin' dumb are those writers?

Tim Griffin is always one of my tv guest actors, so I enjoyed him as the guns dealer.  Was actually pretty menacing, which was refreshing, because he's usually either some kind of law enforcement or other "good guy."  Billy Lush was also fun as the weaselly, obviously doomed Tico.

Despite some of the preposterous moments, I actually enjoy the cases, tech, and character interactions all things considering.  It is still the main arc that I find to be kind of a drag.  This witch-hunt against Gideon and the 13th is cliched and flimsy.  They either needed to have Gideon actually do something that was worthy of more investigations, or if this is really just a personal vendetta from the mayor, they need to show him more in order to build him up as a main antagonist.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2017 at 4:39 PM, Bobbin said:

"Almost Human" without the androids.

Yep.  And I really LIKED the androids.  

I finally got around to watching this and I didn't like it.  I generally love SciFi and will cheerfully whistle past the unrealistic aspects of it because it's ScienceFICTION.  The problem with this show is that it's set in the here-and-now so when I see things that I'm fairly certain are not in accordance with current policing practices (or flat out prohibited) it just gets in the way of my enjoyment of the show.  I can't name specific examples right now but I was scoffing at cops' behavior repeatedly during this episode.

I haven't watched any further episodes but I assume there will be one wherein street gangs buy a bunch of burner phones and use them to text in wave-upon-wave of fake calls -- essentially bringing the APB system to it's knees.  Actually burner phones would be too expensive -- so an organized crime boss (or just a really successful drug kingpin) will hire a hacker like Elliot from Mr. Robot and they'll flood the system with fake texts.  Isn't that a common hacking thing -- a "denial of service attack?"  I'm over-50 and not particularly tech-saavy but even I know about that.  

Bottom-line:  I'm having trouble with the whole "willful suspension of disbelieve" required to really enjoy this show.  But I was all-in on "Almost Human."  I wish it was still on the air.

• Love 1

After a man goes to extremes to get justice for his daughter, Gideon and Martinez use new technology to investigate the case; the assistant state attorney continues interrogating Gideon.

I had to create this topic because I needed to discuss this latest episode. While my wife and I are still very much enjoying this show, there are little things that are bugging me. One thing is their use of code to do things on the monitors at the precinct. For example, when they were trying to find out who owned the car at the abandoned warehouse toward the end of the episode, Ada typed something along the lines of "db -IL DMV doSearch('123 AGR');" to look up the license plate. I know the plate number wasn't "123 AGR", but I needed to put something in there. My question is this: Why wouldn't they have a UI element that hides the code and simply searches that database? I mean, they would have known from the outset that they were going to have to search license plates at some point. So, wouldn't they have created a user interface to do exactly that without requiring them to use code? What happens if a cop needs to use that function and neither Ada nor Gideon are around? Do they have to wait until one of those people are there in order to do a search on a license plate?

Another thing that bugs me is when Gideon spouted off all the techno-babble about "Use regex to search the plaintext for the crypto-key". Yes, that's technically correct because it is what you would do. My problems with it are these:

1. As a developer (in this case, Ada), I would be highly insulted if my boss gave me such instructions. Enough so such that there would be a calm, polite, yet serious, confrontation about it later. Do something like that to me twice and you'll be looking for a new developer.
  2. The techno-babble is terrifically oversimplified. How would they even know what they're looking for? It's not like there's going to be text that says "This is the crypto-key".
  3. They gained access to that computer way too fast. It's not like regexes are all that easy to write, unless you're only looking for letters, spaces, and numbers. And I can guarantee you that someone who knows enough to encrypt their computer with AES-256 encryption isn't going to use such a simple passphrase. The passphrase I use to access the servers at work (in order to do my work) is over 150 characters long and it isn't just letters, numbers, and spaces; I've got a whole symbology worked out to use non-word characters to represent entire words.

I do give them credit for using an accurate name of an actual (and actually strong) encryption cypher (AES-256) and for accurately describing how long it would take to crack it using a brute force attack.

Otherwise, the episode was very good, even if it was a little transparent that the guy that asked for Gideon's help was going to end up going after the drug dealer himself. Though, it's kind of a shame that they're turning Murphy's ex into the jealous, possessive, asshole archetype.

• Love 2

^^^  I agree with pretty much everything you say.  I assume that in "db -IL DMV doSearch('123 AGR');" the db term starts a CLI tool similar to sqlplus or or mysql or something.  The switches tell it to run the pre-written "doSearch" code on the DMV database.  So in essence, they have already designed an element to do DMV searches.  The question is:  Why is it CLI instead of a menu option on a comprehensive application that can easily be used by your average cop?  Answer:  Plot.  If any cop could do this, why would they need Ada?  

Also, totally with you on coding an RE to find the crypto-key.  Gideon might just as easily said "Search the phonebook for the name of the guilty person!"  Uh, do you search for Tom, Dick, or Harry?  Even if you search for Tom|Dick|Harry, what if the guilty guy is named Bill?  You can't use a RE or any sort of search term, unless you have at least a vague idea what to look for.

• Love 3

Thanks for creating this thread.  I didn't know if anyone was still interested in reacting to eps.

While I certainly agree that there are some major civil liberty questions which have been raised, it just kills me when they choose to go with easy, if not slam dunk, situations.  The biggie in this ep was the shed in the back.  Ridiculous.  They were searching for accomplices in the vicinity on a righteous bust.  They had to clear the area.  Was there no residual yellow dust on the door and the cartons?  You bet your booty there was.  That was a good faith bust.

It's tiresome to me to watch Murphy's hate for her ex.  I love that a lead protagonist is being given such clay feet!  

In various incarnations of Star Trek, the scripts would include notes like "Insert space tech babble here."  when some situation demanded such.  I think "tachyon rays" was used in all but the original.  Sometimes these rays did this, and sometimes they did that.  Dilithium crystals, anyone?  :) It mattered not.  All of it were plot devices.  It didn't need to make actual sense.  It just needed to sound good.

This is the main problem I have with APB.  We are to the point where some ridiculous scientific or engineering solution gets pulled out of someone's backside on every ep.  There's never any impossible situation.  Boring.  ZZZZZZZZ.

I'm definitely interested in discussing episodes. It just took me a while to realize that I could create the threads for the episodes. And sometimes I'm kind of slow to come and discuss them because of other discussions on these forums or just life in general.

I understand that the things I'm complaining about in this episode are just plot devices. I guess I'm more tolerant of it in shows like Star Trek because it's not as real, whereas in shows like this, the plot devices are based on things that are very real.

I'm hoping that we'll end up with a crime that requires multiple episodes to solve. Solving all of them in an hour every week is getting kind of dull. At least the dialogue can be entertaining.

• Love 2

Me too--just didn't have time to start a topic the other night. (Thx!)

As predictable as it was i still enjoyed it; nice shooting theough the concrete.  And i love it when Reeves calls press conferences for when he meets with the... police commissioner? Is that the guy?

Enjoyed the guest cast with Rick Gomez as the victim's father, Maurice Compte as the drug dealer (his Carrillo from Narcos would be so disappointed in him!), and Brian White as the Reggie guy, the other two cops were chasing.

Still find the cases and tech more fun then the overall arc, but at least they brought the mayor back, so there is actually face to Gideon's advisory again, as oppose to just mentioning him all the time.  Murphy's ex is still annoying though.

I don't know: the show isn't close to the best out there, but it is enjoyable enough.  Justin Kirk is fun as Gideon and Natalie Martinez is way better here then she was Under the Dome.  I'll likely stick with it until Lucifer returns. 

10 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Murphy's ex is still annoying though.

I'll likely stick with it until Lucifer returns. 

They're not making her ex interesting enough. They could (and should) be doing more with that character than they are. To me and my wife, it seems like they aren't sure whether they want to make him part of the villainous side along with the mayor or just going the boring route of making him the jealous ex. I say that because, by turns, they seem to make him one and then the other. And I think it would be much more interesting if they fully invested in the former, and completely abandoned the latter - or if they came up with something completely outside both.

We're looking forward to Lucifer returning, too. I expect we'll watch both if they are on at the same time.

On 3/5/2017 at 11:57 AM, WatchrTina said:

Yep.  And I really LIKED the androids.  

I finally got around to watching this and I didn't like it.  I generally love SciFi and will cheerfully whistle past the unrealistic aspects of it because it's ScienceFICTION.  The problem with this show is that it's set in the here-and-now so when I see things that I'm fairly certain are not in accordance with current policing practices (or flat out prohibited) it just gets in the way of my enjoyment of the show.  I can't name specific examples right now but I was scoffing at cops' behavior repeatedly during this episode.

I haven't watched any further episodes but I assume there will be one wherein street gangs buy a bunch of burner phones and use them to text in wave-upon-wave of fake calls -- essentially bringing the APB system to it's knees.  Actually burner phones would be too expensive -- so an organized crime boss (or just a really successful drug kingpin) will hire a hacker like Elliot from Mr. Robot and they'll flood the system with fake texts.  Isn't that a common hacking thing -- a "denial of service attack?"  I'm over-50 and not particularly tech-saavy but even I know about that.  

Bottom-line:  I'm having trouble with the whole "willful suspension of disbelieve" required to really enjoy this show.  But I was all-in on "Almost Human."  I wish it was still on the air.

I finally got around to watching it after hearing that everything shown was possible if Bill Gates decided to protect a portion of a city. Sort of those Popular Science and Mechanics cover stories come to life. Nice premise but just not a good show. I kept watching the boy toy cop and it finally hit me he was the son and Deputy Sheriff on Dennis Quaid's Vegas a few years ago.

This entire precint lines debate seems so strange to me since where I live all Police Officers from those who work for the biggest city to working for the smallest public school district have statewide jurisdiction and always cross political lines when duty calls

On 3/9/2017 at 3:01 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The biggie in this ep was the shed in the back.  Ridiculous.  They were searching for accomplices in the vicinity on a righteous bust.  They had to clear the area.  Was there no residual yellow dust on the door and the cartons?  You bet your booty there was.  That was a good faith bust.

That occurred to me too. If all it took to hide stuff from the cops was to stash it in the property a few feet next to your own so that some stupid technicality about search warrants kept them from being able to use it as evidence nobody would ever get caught with anything.

Isn't there already tech to be able to see and shoot through walls? I think this is the second time someone has been taken hostage and the cops with those nice little taser guns just stood there instead of shooting them both, at least they acknowledged that this time.

Oh, and those drone controls looked simple enough a 5 year old could use it, what was with Gideon having to control 4 at once himself?

On 3/9/2017 at 3:01 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

This is the main problem I have with APB.  We are to the point where some ridiculous scientific or engineering solution gets pulled out of someone's backside on every ep.  There's never any impossible situation.  Boring.  ZZZZZZZZ.

Yes. They really need to start setting hard limits as to what Gideon can do with his tech and what he can't. It's fine if they have Gideon come up with some technobabble solution to deal with an otherwise impossible situation, but only if it happens once in a blue moon like during season finales and such instead of every single episode.

Edited by immortalfrieza
4 minutes ago, immortalfrieza said:

They really need to start setting hard limits as to what Gideon can do with his tech and what he can't.

There is nothing he can't do.  Last week's 2 million dollar jacket will get trumped by next week's 20 million dollar sunglasses.  Gideon can do anything because Gideon has unlimited money.  And as you know, money can buy anything.

I'm not even sure where to start with this one. I guess I'll just start at the beginning.

We open with Gideon playing around with mini-drones. I'm not sure why or why the writers think this is nifty new technology. It seemed like, later in the episode, that the drones could be "locked onto" a target and they would just follow that target without human intervention. And at the same time, it still looked like Gideon had to fly all four of the drones at the same time. So, I'm confused. Clearly, the drones aren't all that expensive since Gideon is willing to let three of them drop to the ground wherever they were in the city, and the writers even made sure to show that one of them gets run over. I guess it's a positive that, for once, this is not expensive tech.

While I like that they have the black lady cop and her partner go after someone who turns out to just need help, it's getting a little stale that they're the ones always going after people who turn out to be mostly (or entirely) harmless. (And the black lady cop, whose name I don't know, is still a more memorable character for me than bland, blond, dog-loving, male cop is.)

I hope they start doing more with all the actors.

• Love 1

I think i actually liked this one the best so far.  Normally i find mommy/daddy-issues episodes to be gag-worthy, but this was well done, i thought. Was glad they dropped the investigation with Murphy's ex for at least one ep.

Edited by janeta
1 hour ago, janeta said:

Was glad they dropped the investigation with Murphy's ex for at least one ep.

I thought that got shut down last ep. when the mayor had to publicly express his support for Gideon & Co.?

2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I thought that got shut down last ep. when the mayor had to publicly express his support for Gideon & Co.?

I remember that, but I wasn't sure if that meant they were shutting the investigation down. Perhaps I misunderstood. If so, that makes me happy. That storyline was played out.

I know it's super picky, but it drove me to such distraction when they kept saying they were heading "South on Ohio."  IRL, Ohio is a major East/West street connecting the major north commercial districts to the Interstate (94 - Dan Ryan).   I've used it a bunch of times.  

The biggest problem for me was the stoopidity of the big, bad mob boss.  A dude like dat, in dat city, would never have exposed himself in a last-second deal with "Israelis" based on the vouchsafe of dat weasel Dad.  He would have made for an excellent ongoing foe for our hero, too.  Oh, well.  Neat and tidy crime resolution like all the other eps.

I must have missed it - how the heck did the kid find that work/storage space and then come up with the necessary cash for parts and oil and lubricants and such to "improve" the cars he stole?  Was his name "Abagnale?"  :)

The tension with the Mayor is on hiatus.  That'll all come back, probably as part of a season cliffhanger.    

2 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I know it's super picky, but it drove me to such distraction when they kept saying they were heading "South on Ohio."  IRL, Ohio is a major East/West street connecting the major north commercial districts to the Interstate (94 - Dan Ryan).   I've used it a bunch of times.

I don't think it's picky at all. In fact, I think when they're using the names of real streets, they should just stick to the real world when it comes to such details. There's no point in disrupting your audience's suspension of disbelief because you get real world details wrong, especially when those details are really not important to your overall storyline. (And I would argue that if such details are important, then you should either use fictional street names, switch to a real street that is properly oriented, or write your story better.)

Maybe they're doing it deliberately, so as to not use a real address?  It's like when the hackers use an IP address of 261.455.328.297 which is bogus because the value of an octet can't exceed 255.  But if you use valid numbers, you're publicizing somebody's IP address!    Or how everyone in movieland lives in the non-existent 555 area code...

• Love 1

The shady, up to no good parent has been done to death, but at least John Heard was fun as always.  But, really, it was obvious that he was a sneaky sneak, so I felt bad for Gideon whenever he tried to bring this up, and Martinez and Conrad/Ernie Hudson just kept going "You need to talk to him, or you will regret it!"  It sure didn't sound like Gideon dislike was for shallow reasons.  The guy was a horrible father, and proved it again.

An, Vincent Curatola.  Whenever I see you on TV, you are either a mobster or a judge.  No half-measures there!

So, is this Luke kid going to be showing back up, again?  I guess that's nice, but there are already a lot of characters here.  Hell, I still can't remember the name of the two cops that actually were on his case!

Didn't miss the mayor drama at all.

• Love 1

I was grateful for the business reality the CEO brought to this ep.  His company would be suffering from his lack of time and energy spent there.  The monetizing of his altruistic gesture to Chicago also makes perfect sense.  

The thing that simply ooozed stoopidity was the failure to have worked out a plan for Gideon to immediately drop to the floor, or run off stage in the event a threat was identified.  So basic.  Then, all the kudos for how great his CPD protection was just ridiculous.  He was saved only by his flak jacket.

I would loooooove for there to be an after-action analysis as to how losing that unit and the two cops to the potential suicide cost other priorities.   Gideon's whole premise is to police smart, given the quite limited personnel available.  Now, ass in the resources protecting his private convention and himself.  That precinct would have suffered greatly.  None of that is sustainable.

Fingers crossed we get an intelligent representation of privatizing aspects of our collective security.  

• Love 1

@Lonesome Rhodes I believe we're going to start seeing some of that representation in the next episode. And I was also happy to see a few things:
1. Gideon doing something that wasn't related to police business.
2. His CFO/COO or whatever she was taking him to task regarding the financial realities of what he's doing.
3. The more human-focused story (the kid trying to commit suicide) having less technology in it.

I disagree that Gideon should have avoided being shot. I think that was necessary and a good thing to do to him. He gets to show that his technology works and he gets to know what it feels like to be shot in his bullet-proof vest. It would have been a lot less impressive if he had managed to avoid being shot at altogether.

My wife and I are hoping that the writers will avoid turning Gideon and Murphy into a couple. The jealousy the CFO/COO felt toward Murphy was good to see, though. Gideon and Murphy just would not make a good couple and it would impact the story in multiple areas and all in bad ways.

1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

My wife and I are hoping that the writers will avoid turning Gideon and Murphy into a couple. The jealousy the CFO/COO felt toward Murphy was good to see, though. Gideon and Murphy just would not make a good couple and it would impact the story in multiple areas and all in bad ways.

Unfortunately, it seemed like TPTB have been pushing a Gideon/Murphy love-match since ep#1.  Perhaps the arrival (and late episode bedding) of the new Lauren Fitch character indicates a change in direction.  

4 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Unfortunately, it seemed like TPTB have been pushing a Gideon/Murphy love-match since ep#1.  Perhaps the arrival (and late episode bedding) of the new Lauren Fitch character indicates a change in direction.  

Let's hope so because Gideon and Murphy together is just too easy and cliche (read as: boring!). Plus, it would never happen in real life. Yeah, they might date for a while and the sex would be good, but he'd get bored with her because their interests are so different.

I'm done with this show. A cop with three years' experience is rude, arrogant,  and bossing her supervisors.   She sounded like my teenaged daughter.  Au revoir!

Murphy's ignorant reactions as the big speech was being made spoke volumes.  What rot.  Not one thing he proposed for almost the whole thing was even vaguely suggesting that the poor would be receiving less police protection.  ADT must be eeeeeeevil, I guess.

As provincial as all interests in Chicago are, and as demonstrated as a moan plot point on this show, the chances the fire department would not be hot and heavily involved in the arsons are the same as myself becoming Mr. Universe.  Give or take.

Anyway.....they got one local shout out VERY right - Gibson's!!!  Great, great steakhouse.

• Love 1