Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Jack Pearson's Son

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Really Rebecca? Your singing is the only time Jack isn't in your way?  That's why the marriage experts tell us to keep our fights about the issue of the moment and not to bring up the entire past and do the "You always," thing.  I have no sympathy for Rebecca and her thing about doing something for herself.  She agreed to have children, she doesn't get to play the "Jack talked me into it," card forever.  It's a good long, 18 year minimum, commitment for any parent.  Nobody gets time off. To most of us time for ourselves means getting our hair done once every few months.   Jack doesn't get to go on a fishing vacation for five weeks to Scotland, to have time for himself.  Oh yes, she'd say this is her career, not a hobby, but I think it's a little bit of both, with probably very little earnings. And again, most parents don't get to choose a "fun," career that takes us out at night, when we could probably make more money doing a day job while the kids are in school.  I wouldn't call Jack insanely jealous either.  Who would want their spouse, out at night, singing romantic songs and working closely, with someone they once slept with for a couple of months?

I completely agree.  The fact that I've been a single mom to my now-16-year-old daughter practically since day one probably more than influences my feelings on this topic.  I have no backup, so the notion of leaving my three teenage children at home for several weeks while I "tour" is completely laughable to me.  My idea of "time to myself" and "doing something for me" is spending 45 minutes at Starbucks reading my book and drinking something terribly sugary while my daughter is in ballet class down the street once a week.  Yes, Rebecca has a reliable back-up in Jack, but still.  Rebecca must not have realized all of the shit that can go down over the course of a few weeks in a teenager's life.  If the "tour" (and I stand by my use of quotes there) is that important, it can wait a couple of years.  I find Rebecca to be quite selfish most of the time.  I realize that the glare coming from Jack's halo probably casts a shadow on her, but . . . yeah. 

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 14
55 minutes ago, kili said:

Jack thinks he fixed Randall's freak-out as a teenager, but he just calmed down the symptoms. He did nothing to fix the underlying problem which festered until this breakdown. His fix didn't even last the night. Randall needs to admit that it is okay to ask for help and it is okay if he isn't the besets person in the room in all circumstances. 

Yeah, I have a friend who was adopted, who is a different ethnicity then her adoptive family.  In other words, everyone knew she was adopted just by looking at her family.  Her parents were very good to her, but she felt like she needed to be perfect in order to be "deserving" of the life they gave her.  Like, Randall, she experienced not not so nice remarks and casual racism while growing up.  It took her years to understand that she did not need to perfect and she was a great person in her own right.

I wonder if this is part of the reason why Randall is so reluctant to ask for help, or to say "no".

He wants to live up to perfect Jack and prove that he is deserving of all his advantages, when that is not necessary.

I do wonder what attracted him to the high pressure world of Wall Street.  You would think a quietly smart and naturally nurturing guy like himself would be more into medicine or engineering (not that those fields do not have stress).

Jack would have comforted Randall and done the play at the same time because he's a superhero.

I love Jack, but this is funny.  You forgot that he would of also found a way to cure William's cancer as well.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 19

Jack dies while Rebecca's on tour.  Kate overheard probably the most ferocious argument her parents ever had.  Kate has blamed Rebecca all these years for Jack's death and that's why she still resents her mother today.   We'll see what happens.

Considering she was daddy's little girl and how protective he was (maybe a bit too much), and possibly has issues on how her mom was about her food intake, this is pinging really hard for me right now.

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

I guess we have to wait until next week or coming weeks to see what actually happened to take Jack's life.  This is just a guess or the result of of over-active imagination, but here's my spin.  Jack dies while Rebecca's on tour.  Kate overheard probably the most ferocious argument her parents ever had.  Kate has blamed Rebecca all these years for Jack's death and that's why she still resents her mother today.   We'll see what happens.

LOL!

This sounds logical.  I have forgotten or never picked up on Kate resenting her mother.  

10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

We haven't seen Beth's family either, hell I don't remember if they mentioned anyone other than her dead dad.

they did mention Aunt Lisa last night, so she'll be showing up eventually I assume

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Evagirl said:

I also do not think that in the state of mind Randall was in, he would have the where with all to call his brother just to tell him he wasn't going to be able to make it to his play.

I think he would because it was responsibility he felt he needed to fulfill and felt he needed to let Kevin know he couldn't be there.  Randall knew how important it was for Kevin and despite their differences they do love each other.  That said, I think it might have been Randall's less direct way of reaching out to Kevin for help. Like maybe when he called him, he wasn't particularly thinking about Kevin's play but just needing his brother but unable to directly ask for help. Not in an intentionally passive-aggressive way but calling him to beg off the play served two purposes. YMMV

• Love 10
8 hours ago, TheodoraK said:

oh god, i'm so stupid. i came on here and read a lot of the comments before i was finished watching the show. i don't even know why i did that. but i didn't cry when kevin went to randall and randall was scared because i was so freaking pissed at kevin for ditching sloane!!! that isn't even remotely okay. to do that. phone randall, phone someone and tell him that he's on the way. randall can have his breakdown for a couple more hours. he's not going anywhere. and kevin can do the play or at least freaking tell sloane he's leaving so she can find an understudy. that was so contrived. to help someone by screwing over someone else? so not cool. i get it that he wasn't there for teen randall when he was crying -- and i don't even remember why teen randall was upset --  but it's not cool to bail on a fellow performer like that.

i know that others wouldn't agree

I agree.  

• Love 2

So last night Miguel mentioned Jurassic Park, which came out in June 1993, which would, I guess, put the date as Valentine's Day 1994. I keep getting mixed up. Were the kids born in 1979 or 1980? 1979 would make them 14 1/2. If the Jack dying when they were 15 theory is right, it is coming soon.

Also, it looked like Jack and Miguel were drinking Starbucks coffee.  Was it that widespread in 1994?  I honestly can't remember, but I was living in a small town in Pennsylvania at the time, and it certainly had no Starbucks.

• Love 2

I watched his clip on The Real and Sullivan doesn't say he wears jowls.  I have a feeling someone started that rumor, probably based on that one photo where his chin looks great.  The sites that say it are the cheesy gossip sites, from what I can tell.  Here's one 'source' given on one:

A Facebook user also revealed her shock regarding Sullivan’s off-screen transformation, posting a photo of Sullivan alongside co-star Chrissy Metz with the caption, “Oh my goodness, Toby, from ‘This is Us’ wears a “fat suit” and prosthetic jowls. Mind officially blown. That’s the real Toby pictured below! What the what?! #thisisus Who else loves this show?!”

13 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I actually thought Kevin was a jerk for leaving Sloane in the lurch.  You say something before the show starts.  It really undercut the "Kevin is such a great guy-just like his dad" moment with Randall.

ITA.  I think it was partly concern for Randall but also an excuse (conscious or not) for Kevin to bail on the play.  I thought that -- along with Sophie referencing Katie Couric dream at the beginning of the episode -- was too contrived. 

I didn't like Toby holding off on marriage.  He thinks Kate refused to "go deep" but she did -- she told him that she can't talk about her father's death.  That should be enough.  "Kate, what bothers you -- what do you hate talking about?"  "My father's death."  "Okay, let's talk about it."  WTF?  Accept it and move on.  

I also didn't like the Kevin/Miguel conversation.  Miguel telling Kevin that he thought Kevin was like Jack -- how, exactly?  Physical mannerisms don't translate into doing for others, which is something that we haven't seen Kevin do, so WTF Miguel? 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

So last night Miguel mentioned Jurassic Park, which came out in June 1993, which would, I guess, put the date as Valentine's Day 1994. I keep getting mixed up. Were the kids born in 1979 or 1980? 1979 would make them 14 1/2. If the Jack dying when they were 15 theory is right, it is coming soon.

Also, it looked like Jack and Miguel were drinking Starbucks coffee.  Was it that widespread in 1994?  I honestly can't remember, but I was living in a small town in Pennsylvania at the time, and it certainly had no Starbucks.

Starbucks was around then.  What town are they supposed to live in?   

Edited by wings707
15 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't get the Miguel hate.  I really don't.  He married Rebecca after Jack died.  What's wrong with that.

This question keeps getting asked.  Every episode.  Answer is people can hate any fictional character they want.

Aren't there understudies for plays?  At least I thought Kevin would have told the understudy, who I'm sure would be ecstatic.

I still think Jack is perfect

I liked Sanjay.  I thought his stepping in was more helping Randall than trying to look good.

I quite agree!

Either Sloan was purposely sabotaging Kevin or should have known better.  The scene was kind of dumb because it wasn't clear either way.  Wasn't Sloan nervous herself?  Wasn't she not even an actor before this point?  I've never "gotten" her.

More thoughts in the morning but find for now it's simply: if Sterling does not submit this for the Emmys, he's insane.

So hard for me to believe there could be a better actor than Sterling on TV.  So hard for me to believe when someone else wins an acting award that he's nominated for?  Milo had a good episode too.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

Horse's Ass showed his true colors.  He can dish it out but he can't take it.  He can tell Kate what he thinks of her and be a dick, in his words, about it but as soon as someone shines some light on his own behavior he runs to mommy and daddy.  And if his parents really let him get away with harassing clients and kicking them out just because they defended themselves, we have some understanding into how he got to be an entitled little ass.  I'm so glad that he didn't have some special insight into Kate's soul and was 100% wrong about her.  I also like that Kate saying no multiple times to Horse's Ass was really a no and there wasn't some secret attraction there.  That was very satisfying.  Between that and Toby saying they should have a long engagement, I started liking the relationships a little better on this show.

And then there's the fight between Rebecca and Jack.  I do think Rebecca lied (by omission) and should have disclosed that she and Ben had dated a short while.  It's just rude to let Jack find out another way.  You are his wife, you owe him that much.  I think Jack overreacted to it, but I think that was because what he was really angry about was her going on tour.  He probably should have shared his feelings about that from the beginning instead of being a martyr.  I'm not sure what the compromise is in that situation but he should have spoken up sooner.  I don't think it's horrible of her to want to go away for 4 or 5 weeks. If it were longer than that, I'd say wait until the kids graduate though.  OTOH, I can see why Jack wouldn't like it.

I'm curious if Jack is an alcoholic.  Like, if he orders one Maker's Mark, does it inevitably turn into 6 more?  Miguel said something that suggested he was, he invited him out and said "you don't have to drink."  But earlier in the season, it seemed like Jack was just over-indulging and could stop if he wanted to.

Oh, Sloane.  I feel so bad for you.  First you date a guy and overhear him say he's dating you even though he doesn't want to and because it's the right thing to do and then he leaves you hanging on opening night!  And she's not just the actress, she's also the playwright and the NYT is there!  Kevin better do something serious to make up for that.

• Love 9

I found myself wondering and then studying those cups, and I did not see the Starbucks logo.  

Rebecca's comment that she didn't tell Jack because she didn't want him to spiral out in jealousy didn't come out of the blue.  I am sure she has seen it many times.

I have had this inkling in episodes past, but it crystallized with this one: Jack makes Rebecca feel small.  Not a healthy way to feel.

• Love 12

I think the subtle clue is not that Rebecca lied about dating the Keyboardist, but that she felt she needed to lie about it. She said she knew Jack "would go crazy", not just object to her going on tour, so this sounds like an underlying problem. We've seen Jack as pretty perfect, but I suspect there is more going on in their background. Maybe we are about to start seeing his flaws.

• Love 11

Jack would not have done anything to help Randall because his cell phone would have been off just like Kevin's should have been!  A moment to suspend reality and shake your fist at the writers. 

I guess they are planning another career for Kevin. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

They were born in 1980.  I hope they're older than 14 in that flashback.  Remember Jack and sophie are having sex.  So, hopefully, they're at least 15, 16 would be better.  Haven't you ever mentioned a movie more than a year after it came out?

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I have had this inkling in episodes past, but it crystallized with this one: Jack makes Rebecca feel small.  Not a healthy way to feel.

Yes I think so, too.  I can never quite forget early on, he waltzed into the kitchen and countered her on giving Kate grapefruit for breakfast, but even more telling, stood at the Mr. Coffee and waited for her to make coffee, before she told him to do it himself (something close to that).  That stood out to me, and even if he is mostly wonderful, small moves like that over the years will add up to trouble. 

• Love 9

I'm not good at noticing makeup jobs but Present Day Miguel's main superficial issue is the eyebrows.  I think. They're so comically grey on a face that it doesn't seem to match up with?  

I'm sorry but he looks like this.  (This is not meant to be a comment on the actor's skin colour.  He looks totally fine in the scenes where he's younger).  But as I have said before his present day version looks like bad Photoshop.  

kSmQQhXUdzFx.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

Let the dying man have a coke, for god's sake. Wasn't she there to basically make him as comfortable as possible during his last days? 

Please take the scene with the hospice nurse as the writers using if for moving the plot forward and NOT as reality.  In hospice we deal with all stages of grief including anger which is frequently leveled at the staff.  We know how to deflect it.  And we do everything in our power to give a quality end of life, not denying anything if at all possible and remaining calm and controlled when people are verbally or even physically abusive.  It comes with the territory.

• Love 15
  39 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Starbucks was around then.  What town are they supposed to live in?   

Starbucks started in the 70's :)

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Jack would have comforted Randall and done the play at the same time because he's a superhero.

I think Jack would have delivered a speech about how great Randall is inspiring all the audience members to walk in a line to Randall's office, and tell him how great he is and how they appreciate him "It's a Wonderful Life" style.  The next day, the theater critic would have a glowing report of Randall in the New York Times.

4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

A small nitpick here. While we are not all created equal, I took offense at the characterization of the hospice nurse. I work for hospice and she was not very well portrayed.  We do everything in our power to give a good quality of life to our patients.  We don't deny things unless they are life threatening and we certainly don't stand by looking all pouty if a patient is unhappy.  They are expected to be unhappy - they're dying.  We understand and support any kind of mood.  I guess it was supposed to be another straw on the camel's back but it was a bit heavy handed.

When my grandmother was in hospice care the nurses and nurses aids were amazing.  My grandmother was in the last stages of lung cancer and she was also diabetic.  My mother was still buying all of this sugar free/low carb food for her.  My grandmother made a comment about missing "real food" to her nurse.  The nurse sent the trainee who was working with her out to get my grandmother a "real cheesecake" and then gently told my mother that there was no need to be so strict with my grandma's diet anymore and that it was more important to keep her happy.  

At this stage of his illness if William wanted a god damn Coke he should have gotten it!  There was no need for his nurse to get into a pissing contest with William over it! 

• Love 19

I remember a Starbucks going into the Phoenix airport in '92 or so and that being one of the first times I'd heard of it.  The company's timeline said they had 165 stores then.  By '94 it was 425 stores and in '95 they opened a second roasting facility, in PA, coincidentally.  

18 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Jack would not have done anything to help Randall because his cell phone would have been off just like Kevin's should have been!  A moment to suspend reality and shake your fist at the writers. 

Sorry I'm not understanding why that would be unrealistic. Kevin was in his dressing room. Is there a reason he would have his phone off in that case? If it isn't the norm to have it on, I can put it down to Kevin being extremely stressed out and not remembering to check if it was off.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I guess they are planning another career for Kevin. 

It's possible Kevin would still have his phone on. A while back, I saw a deleted scene of Rush Hour. While they filmed a scene Chris Tucker's phone rang. You would actors would turn their phone off while filming but sometimes common sense isn't common. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Yes, I know. They started out west and it took awhile to spread east.  

I don't usually do this (slow day), but I found an article in the Baltimore Sun that said that Starbucks entered the Pittsburgh market in the year that ended October 1, 1995.  I don't even know if what we saw was a Starbucks cup, or what year they were in on that Valentine's Day.  But now I know when Starbucks came east.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Please take the scene with the hospice nurse as the writers using if for moving the plot forward and NOT as reality.  In hospice we deal with all stages of grief including anger which is frequently leveled at the staff.  We know how to deflect it.  And we do everything in our power to give a quality end of life, not denying anything if at all possible and remaining calm and controlled when people are verbally or even physically abusive.  It comes with the territory.

Yes, I totally understand that. That's why I thought the story of the nurse refusing William the coke, and Randall having to run home to be totally unrealistic. I was being critical of the writers, not hospice nurses. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

AuxArx, Kevin won't get fined for walking out on his play, but of course the show "did not go on," and the NYT (right?) critic was in the audience. The play would be raked to the nines in the newspaper and will close immediately. End of that story, end of Kevin's $ investment and end of Kevin's acting career, unless some future producer is REALLY crazy and hires him for some two-bit commercial. He screwed his career AND Sloane's play. On another topic, I still like Miguel, especially after his talk at Kevin

Did they say the show didn't go on? I might have missed that part. I just remember they left off with Sloane on stage. Maybe she pulled something out of her ass to make his absence work or the understudy showed up?

• Love 2

We don't know the show didn't go on yet. I'm assuming we'll find out next week, or whenever they feel like telling us what the fall out was. Maybe it did, tho it would have been, I imagine, after a very awkward and protracted period of time for those waiting in the audience. Poor Sloan.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Maybe she pulled something out of her ass to make his absence work

That would be a lot to ask of a seasoned professional, and I'm pretty sure that this was the first play she wrote, and I know for a fact it's her first time on stage.  I don't think she would be up for improv-ing a whole show. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I don't usually do this (slow day), but I found an article in the Baltimore Sun that said that Starbucks entered the Pittsburgh market in the year that ended October 1, 1995.  I don't even know if what we saw was a Starbucks cup, or what year they were in on that Valentine's Day.  But now I know when Starbucks came east.

LOL!  I don't usually either but I did, too.   I found out they opened the first one in Boston in 1994.  

• Love 1
Just now, Katy M said:

That would be a lot to ask of a seasoned professional, and I'm pretty sure that this was the first play she wrote, and I know for a fact it's her first time on stage.  I don't think she would be up for improv-ing a whole show. 

It could go either way but my main question was that I just don't recollect that it was confirmed that the play didn't go on. Was that actually stated in the episode?

• Love 1
Just now, catrox14 said:

It could go either way but my main question was that I just don't recollect that it was confirmed that the play didn't go on. Was that actually stated in the episode?

No, she was looking back for Kevin like a deer in the headlights (don't blame her), Kevin running down the street and then it ended with him and Randall.  I think we were supposed to be led believe it did not.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I'm in Canada and remember seeing a Starbucks cup for the first time on a trip to Vancouver in '94.  I think it came east to Toronto a year or two later when the first Chapters bookstore opened.  Of course, these days, it's in practically very block (downtown, anyway - I live within walking distance (under five minutes) to six or seven.  I've lost count). 

WHAT IT . . . we're intentionally being misled.  Suppose Kevin did step out on that stage - eventually.  And him running to Randall's (unlocked/unsecured) office building happened later rather than during the play.  Too far fetched?

• Love 9

Having to suspend reality in scripted shows is what drew me into reality TV.  Survivor was a welcome relief from this nonsense. There was too much me saying, "sure, like that would happen" and "run away, you asshole, you know the ghost has an axe" or "please, we know the lead is not going to die."  I could go on but you get the gist.  

Never mind what reality TV has become, but I still prefer the top self offerings.  

I have to suspend reality everywhere in this show.  I still enjoy it but have stopped becoming quite so irritated at nonsensical  plot devices.  

3 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

WHAT IT . . . we're intentionally being misled.  Suppose Kevin did step out on that stage - eventually.  And him running to Randall's (unlocked/unsecured) office building happened later rather than during the play.  Too far fetched?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!  No.  Kind of like Dallas (never watched) having someone come back from the dead because it was all a dream. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

Oh man, I'll be really upset if this is a fake out. Like in Kevin's head he ran to help Randall, but he stepped out on to the stage instead of going to him right then and there. It would bookend his dream with Katie Couric.  I'll be really angry if that is the case.

I could live with him having gone after the play.

52 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

It's possible Kevin would still have his phone on. A while back, I saw a deleted scene of Rush Hour. While they filmed a scene Chris Tucker's phone rang. You would actors would turn their phone off while filming but sometimes common sense isn't common. 

Haha.  Big Sean was just on Jimmy Fallon and seemed very happy and excited to be there.  Then his phone went off.  He didn't answer it, but yes, it happens.  

• Love 1

Can I just say that one of the things that amazes me about this show is how easily people just drop in on Randall while he's at work? People just come traipsing in to his office. It's even more amazing to me that Kevin can show up there after hours and run down the hall and nobody stops him or follows him asking what's wrong.

Also can someone clarify, did we see Kate quit her job in LA in order to move to the East Coast? I feel like she came for Thanksgiving and never left and Toby followed her and stayed.

• Love 15
Just now, marceline said:

Can I just say that one of the things that amazes me about this show is how easily people just drop in on Randall while he's at work? People just come traipsing in to his office. It's even more amazing to me that Kevin can show up there after hours and run down the hall and nobody stops him or follows him asking what's wrong.

I don't even like when my own coworkers constantly bug me at work.....  It is a bit ridiculous.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I've said before that for some reason the writers require that Rebecca must always be wrong.  I try to remember that at the beginning of each episode. . .

I actually thought Kevin was a jerk for leaving Sloane in the lurch.  You say something before the show starts.  It really undercut the "Kevin is such a great guy-just like his dad" moment with Randall.

I liked Sanjay.  I thought his stepping in was more helping Randall than trying to look good.

Thank you so much for this post.  I did not think Rebecca was wrong at all.  She's been by Jack's side for years and now, all she wants is to do something for herself and St. Jack can't deal.  I think Jack is one of those people who is great, as long as he's in control.  I remember when he sprung the house on Rebecca.  He bought it without consulting her, without even taking her to see it, I think.  As soon as Jack wasn't in control, it was like a switch went on.  Rebecca didn't tell him about the"ex", because she knew that if she mentioned it to Jack he would have been against her working in that bar.  She told him that they dated for two months when she was nineteen.  I mean how old was Rebecca in that scene?  Mid thirties?  Jack should have walked around the block and then gone back home and talked to Rebecca, told her how he was feeling, that he was scared and jealous.  But Jack didn't want to do that because it would mean not being in control.

Miguel told Kevin, "what would Jack do?" and Kevin did exactly what Jack would do.  Kevin talked to Randall and had laser focus at that moment.  He remembered when they were teenagers that he saw Randall freaking out and he did nothing, so he knew that he had to get to Randall.  The problem was, that he, Kevin had a serious responsibility at that moment.  He was about to go on stage; people had paid to see him, paid to see him in the play.  He left Sloan holding the bag, but he didn't care; because, like Jack, it was a laser focus gesture, without taking anything else into consideration.

13 hours ago, deaja said:

If Horse Dick acts like that on the regular, I have to think the camp would have so many negative reviews it would not be in business.

I would think that would happen as well, but I'm often surprised at people who refuse to complain, no matter how bad or offensive something is.  

• Love 15

I don't think we've seen the real Jack yet.  This "saint" Jack feels artificial.  Like this is what the Big 3, Rebecca, and to a certain extent Miguel, have idealized him to be (only remembering the good parts).  There's a hint early on that he's an alcoholic, but it's solved in the first 45 minutes of show time.  And last night, a hint that he has jealousy issues.  And it may just be that I don't really care for Milo V. but Jack seems sort of manic and over the top with his grand gestures.  Almost like it's a bit too much to rent your old apartment and turn it into a romantic night out just for fun.  The cost alone for a family of 3 on one income (even in the 80s/90s) should have been considerable.

It was also pretty telling that Rebecca had detailed lists of what she goes through in a day.  If Jack were as involved with his kids as he appears, he should have been aware of their events and functions.  Even Randall has a better grasp of what his girls are doing day to day than it appeared Jack does.

Rebecca clearly shouldn't be as short with him as she was, but she also shouldn't have to have the "you lied about your ex" and the "I don't want you to go" conversations after all her planning. 

As for the kids, I see Kate trying to be Rebecca.  Holding the family together (at least in the beginning).  And Kevin is about as manic as Jack.  He does things without thinking of the consequences.  Throwing a fit and quitting the Manny.  Choosing a play and then sabotaging that.  Choosing Sloan and sabotaging that.  Financing a new play and then sabotaging that.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the grand gesture of choosing Randall for once in Kevin's life....but it was a grand gesture.  And poor Randall just wants to prove he belongs.

• Love 10