Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Chapter Fifty-Five

4 hours ago, amaranta said:

So far they are wasting Ricardo Antonio Chavira.  I know Xo and Ro are likely end game but in the mean time make Bruce a real person, give him some dimension.  And yes, Chavira was my favorite of the husbands on Desperate Housewives.  He has an A game; let him bring it.  If Rogelio is going to have to fight for Xo at some point it will only be interesting if he has a worthy opponent.

Agreed. The way they're writing him, he could be played by anybody. In fact, I find the entire show underwritten this season. Still don't know the point of Catalina. Despite Petra having perfect children and doing her usual hate sex relationship (Jesus does JTV like to hit the same note over and over) the writing for her feels rushed and forced. The writing for Jane isn't much better. I am frustrated that one of the only characters they really write for is Justin Baldoni's, who has improved, but is probably the weakest actor still among the core cast.

Chavira was so good on DH. I believe originally he was meant to be merely a foil/obstacle for Eva Longoria's character as her younger wife cheated on him and perhaps schemed. But, he was so funny, and had such a good rapport with Longoria that they became the root-for duo, and he had good chemistry with the other actresses as well. 

At the moment it feels as if JTV is more about Rafael than about Jane.

• Love 2

I'm becoming more and more convinced Michael isn't really dead, for the following reasons:
1. Telenovelas need DRAMA. Coming back from the "dead" is DRAMA.
2. How would his heart condition not have been noticed in his long hospital stay and subsequent physicals?
3. The several days of feeling off, with no prior symptoms, make me think he was being slowly poisoned.
4. The other people at the exam didn't even attempt CPR, that we saw. What is wrong with these people? Plants who weren't really there to try to get into law school, but to take him out?
5. Sin Rostro changes people's faces. Rose could have had some other victim who was given Michael's look and then killed and swapped in for Michael. It's a slick enough operation they could have managed this shenanigan in an ambulance or at the hospital. If Rose wanted Michael for some reason, she'd take him alive. He is effective at the detective work. Maybe she wanted to use his skills for her own purposes and is keeping him captive by threatening Jane and Mateo if he doesn't cooperate.
6. The phone call to tell Jane he was dead. It's weird to call and bluntly announce it rather than having the family member come to the hospital, and it sounded weird. Like a "Your husband is dead of [insert condition here]" autorecording. Who would give the news that way?!

• Love 2

7. Luisa introducing her "new" girlfriend to Rafael, and Raf is skittish because "her ex killed my dad". And Rose-as-Not-Rose says "that's only if you believe that death is finite." Foreshadowing a supposed death that isn't finite?!

• Love 1

This felt like the S1 to me. For awhile it didn't feel like JTV but this episode is getting it back on track. I'm not a fan of Zen Rafael or his bread. Nope. Bring that old thing back. I actually love how Petra of all people have well behaved kids. That happens in real life.  The Marbella is not the same without murder.  I'm surprised a horror film hasn't been shot there. That would be a hilarious storyline.  Kinda sad Ro & Darci didn't create a baby and now hate each other. But I'm also cool with Ro saying no.  That better be Scott's body. Flashbacks through out the season will feel in the gaps. 

On 2/13/2017 at 9:09 PM, Irlandesa said:

I like clean shaven Raf.  I like bearded Raf.  I did like how people were making fun of him for being "zen" and buying linen pants. But if Jane thinks that's the worst beard, I'd like to introduce her to Mark Paul Gosselaar in Pitch. 

And yet, the beard that consumed MPG is the reason I found him attractive for the first time ever. What can I say, I like beards.

On 2/13/2017 at 9:18 PM, annewithaneee said:

Oh god. Oh no. Minka Kelly has arrived. Won't someone take pity on me and stop trying to make her happen???

That's who it is. I was struggling to place her, but knew that for some reason I didn't like her (and not because of the role).

I wasn't particularly concerned about whether I would like this episode, until I started watching it. Monster Mateo and Jane's ineffective discipline drove me up the wall (and no, I don't hate kids, and have raised two of them, I'm just not interested in revisiting the worst parts of childhood). Jane's miserable boss bugged too. But then, for some reason, my impression shifted and I ended up liking it.

The opening with Alba and Jane was beautiful, I agree. So, if this new book is Jane and Michael's story - then Jane actually has two books she's completed (at least a first/second draft version), right?

I always thought MPG was kind of cute, but thought he was sexy as heck with that beard on Pitch. I hope it comes back, cause I need more MPG now.

• Love 3
On 2/17/2017 at 11:09 AM, DianeDobbler said:

I completely understand Jane not wanting Petra to discipline Mateo. At the same time, Petra is the mother of his half-sisters, so some leeway there might be allowed. When my niece interacts with her cousins, my brother will order them all to shape up if they're out of line. If Jane's method isn't enough to stop Matteo from dumping carrots on his sister or pulling hair, I think it's fine for the mother of the kid to say something.

Agreed. I can't get with the "don't discipline my kid" crowd, especially in a case like this. It wasn't a random stranger yelling at or being abusive to her child. Petra is another adult in his life. She's allowed to have some authority, especially when his behavior is affecting her children. He has little regard for his parents' attempts at discipline; maybe Petra is someone he'll actually listen to.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

Agreed. I can't get with the "don't discipline my kid" crowd, especially in a case like this. It wasn't a random stranger yelling at or being abusive to her child. Petra is another adult in his life. She's allowed to have some authority, especially when his behavior is affecting her children. He has little regard for his parents' attempts at discipline; maybe Petra is someone he'll actually listen to.

Yes!  In my opinion, it's actually really good for kids to have the moral values their parents are trying to teach them reinforced by other adults.  If it's just your mom telling you that you shouldn't dump carrots on somebody else, you can brush it off as an arbitrary rule imposed by an annoying parent for some unknown reason.  If all of the other adults in your life also tell you that you shouldn't dump carrots on somebody else, maybe you'll start to realize that this is a broad societal expectation you should comply with.  But if your mom tells other adults, in your presence, that she's the only one who can tell you what to do, you're likely to just think that you are a law unto yourself and can do whatever your mom lets you get away with.  (And this is why being a teacher is a terrible job these days, since there are far too many moms like Jane who are raising special snowflake sociopaths.)

• Love 9

Agreed that in my large extended family, other adults are allowed to discipline the kids of other adults. And by that I mean "don't do that." Not assign the punishment or privilege withdrawal, but "stop that, that's wrong"? Absolutely.

All I can say with JTV is that I'll be keeping an eye out for all the stories JTV is prepared to tell that just couldn't be told with Michael there. I have a feeling that's all bogus, and it's about putting her w/Rafael in the end. Some of the things Justin Baldoni said made me believe the whole thing was done for Rafael/Jane. In three years, and without seeing it, he became her best friend, just like Michael and Jane had that foundation of friendship, says Baldoni. It's cheap.

I do not know why shows adhere to the original game plan. It didn't work with HIMYM. Shows often take the lazy way out, often to protect a male lead. Here, they didn't need to do that because he functioned well with Petra, but still. I remember on Scrubs, in the early seasons, the creators said they had Sarah Chalk's character sleep with the leading man's brother to really put the nail in the coffin of any possible pairing, but at the end of the day they did that pairing anyway. Ugly Betty got rid of Henry and put Betty through dating and relationship drama that quickly became pointless, and all they got out of it was an open-ended finale saying MAYBE down the line Betty and Daniel would get together. Me, unless JTV really has re-set and opened up the show instead of setting up for Rafael / Jane in the end, this was pointless. Every story so far since Michael's death is one Jane and the other characters have already had.

• Love 1

This may speak to my character and my need to always call Jane out on her bullshit but I smiled so hard when I saw how well behaved Petra's girls are as opposed to Mateo. Yes yes, gather the pitchforks. This show brings out the petty in me. 

Jane of course is gonna stress and over think this but I think Raf has the best idea with the martial arts (I'm still watching the episode as I write this so who knows how the writers will fuck up Raf and somehow make him the bad guy for trying to help his son). I hate when I see mothers stress themselves about their kids behavioral issues. I know how easy it is to blame yourself but thankfully she sees that she has ppl in her corner who are there to help. Getting help isn't a negative thing and I hope she gets that sooner than later,

Also, of course she writes about Micheal. So....is the other novel a no go? Are we just leaving it by the wayside. Ugh I'm ready for the episode to be over. 

• Love 1
On February 14, 2017 at 0:26 PM, moyalover said:

I find it kind of refreshing that Jane is finally bad at something. I think her struggling with being a parent who is good at disciplining her child is important. She so often is always right, always perfect Jane. I think its nice to give her some flaws and actually have her called out on them. She will grow and learn from this experience. I enjoyed the episode. I haven't really been a proponent of Petra/Jane friendship, but this episode really made me like them. Petra in general is growing on me although her new love interest is icky. 

I think that is the biggest misconception. This is not the first time she has been wrong. Jane is always coddled into thinking she is perfect with her lists and plans and shit. It did give her a big head and gives her an inability to see things from other POVs. She gets so testy when someone poses an alternative way of doing something or even a differing opinion to hers (and this was WAY before she became a widow so I refuse to use her grief as an excuse). I get that she is supposed to be a strong character but we are in season 3 and Jane has maybe been given the business (given a reality check about her judgey and holier-than-thou behavior)a handful of times. Unacceptable.

i do like that she an Petra can be nice to each other but I don't expect that to last sadly. Jane must always come out on top and sadly that means that she steps on others feelings to get there. She is the titular character after all. 

On February 22, 2017 at 6:05 PM, laserlady said:

Yes!  In my opinion, it's actually really good for kids to have the moral values their parents are trying to teach them reinforced by other adults.  If it's just your mom telling you that you shouldn't dump carrots on somebody else, you can brush it off as an arbitrary rule imposed by an annoying parent for some unknown reason.  If all of the other adults in your life also tell you that you shouldn't dump carrots on somebody else, maybe you'll start to realize that this is a broad societal expectation you should comply with.  But if your mom tells other adults, in your presence, that she's the only one who can tell you what to do, you're likely to just think that you are a law unto yourself and can do whatever your mom lets you get away with.  (And this is why being a teacher is a terrible job these days, since there are far too many moms like Jane who are raising special snowflake sociopaths.)

AGREE! it wasn't as if we didn't see the actions (Mateo dumping the carrots, pulling hair). We saw it and still Jane won't let up. As a childcare worker, I winced when she said that because I've seen kids grow up thinking "you can't tell me what to do!" when it comes to discipline. Look at how defensive Jane was at the parent-teacher conference and there was nothing during the conference that made me think the teacher was coming down hard on Mateo or being rash with her decision. Children see and hear everything! There was even a small part where Jane got a call from her boss and Mateo said something about her (the boss) being a meanie.

Ugh this show annoys me with the hypocrisy. Sadly, I have this crazy obsession to finish any series I start so I'll be here for the duration. 

• Love 1
On 14/02/2017 at 9:22 PM, Lebanna said:

I think it makes a lot of story sense for Mateo to be messed up. He lost his step-dad who was one of his primary caregivers at an early age and temporarily lost his dad at the same time.

His Dad went to jail and his step dad died and his Mum was trying to grieve and be a single mother and work full time. I love that Petra was Team Jane at the end of the episode because of everything Jane's done for her as a mother. 

I think I would have enjoyed this episode if the change in tone hadn't been so stark. And those kids are going to get hella annoying hella quickly.

On 2/15/2017 at 7:11 AM, LisaM said:

Still can't believe that Michael's numerous physicals didn't pick up the aortic dissection. 

That's not something a physical can pick up unless it's happening at the time.  It happens fast, and kills you quick.  But before that, there's really nothing to see.