Type keyword(s) to search

Doubt - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I don't remember what Nick was originally in prison for or what got him out. Was his conviction overturned somehow? He can't pass the bar if he has a conviction on his record, right?

16 hours ago, Xantar said:

I don't remember what Nick was originally in prison for or what got him out. Was his conviction overturned somehow? He can't pass the bar if he has a conviction on his record, right?

I was trying to remember this as well.  Why would the prosecutor be a bad guy for not remembering him?  The whole part seemed ridiculous to me.  

Albert discovers the truth about Sadie and Billy's relationship and fears Sadie's judgement has been compromised; Cam and Nick defend a client accused of conspiracy to commit kidnapping; Isaiah takes a break from the firm.

This was the best episode so far. Dulé kicked it out of the park tonight. I was holding my breath and on the edge of my seat when Albert let Sadie have it about her sleeping with Billy. What he should do (report her to the Bar), that she should be disbarred, but he won't. Honestly, a show as ridiculous as Suits is still on the air when it gets so many things wrong and this show got pulled?

Though the cannibal case grossed me out and really, would have been a mistrial after the client's outburst, I was just too happy to see DeShawn! from Beverly Hills, 90210 and Jimmy!!! from The Practice!!!

Now, did Tiffany's blonde hair just grow out or did she color it brown? Here I did a lot of ???because no way would she have time to do that nonsense during the working day. But, whatever.

So this episode is the first one I have seen - why do they do this I don't know- I digress.

By the end I was so sad the series was cancelled because I won't be watching Dule' Hill on TV for a bit, aktho' I guess a Psyc film is coming up.  I have loved him since I saw him in The West Wing.  At that time I was completely unaware of his B'way chops and tap dance skills.  I do love that Psyc let him showcase his talents.

That said he killed this episode and I will watch whatever reruns they show just to see him again.

The rest of the show.....what a piece of dreck.  I completely understand viewers staying away in droves and the decision to cancel.

I hope Dule' finds a role that lasts a bit/that he can enjoy and really shine.

The cannibal librarian storyline is based on a real case except that one involved a group of people (one of whom was a librarian. The others were an electrician and a cop, I believe). And strangely enough, the result of that story reflects real life to some extent, too. The real life cop was found guilty of conspiracy to commit murder, but the judge set aside the jury verdict just like in this case. Unfortunately, one of the other people in the case has no recourse because he pled guilty to a lesser charge and therefore has no way to get a judge to overturn the conviction.

Nonetheless, I pretty much wanted to smack everybody except Cam. I wanted to smack the prosecutor for bringing a bad case to trial. I wanted to smack the judge for eating and talking with his mouth full. I wanted to smack the client for not being able to control herself on the stand and really clearly needing some therapy. I wanted to smack the jury for the guilty finding. But at least the judge redeemed himself in the end, even if his eating habits are still gross.

• Love 2

Albert is definitely my favorite person on the show by a large margin.  Overall, I like the show, but I just can't like Sadie.  I initially did, but she's just so ridiculous and over the top about everything.  Yes, it's sad your mom has been in jail most of your life, but she should have thought of that before assisting in a murder (whether or not she realized it would go that far).  Yes, your client is hot, but that doesn't excuse putting aside your professional obligations.  Blah blah blah.  She's not only jeopardizing her career, but really the whole reputation of the firm.

This was the best episode so far, which isn't saying much considering we're talking about Doubt, but still...I did enjoy it.  When the jury in the cannibal case came back with guilty I was like ARE YOU KIDDING ME! so I was very glad to hear the judge react the same way.  Interesting @Xantar (and terrifying) that it is based on a real case).  Thought police, indeed, and kind of makes me rethink my rather recent decision to become more active online (not that I have cannibal fantasies or anything).

I was so distracted by Tiffany's hair her entire first scene that I pretty much missed everything that was said after she entered the room.  

When Albert ripped into Sadie not once, but twice, I cheered him on.  About damn time someone gave her a reality check.

• Love 1

While this piece on the lack of diversity @ CBS doesn't mention Doubt, it me to thinking. Given the network's well-documented lack of diversity, why they didn't give this show a shot rather than canceling it after airing two episodes?  Aside from Heigl, who will always get on my last nerve, and Drema Walker, who also annoys me, the cast was stellar, the stories timely -- some even compelling -- and some fascinating relationships. A real shame. 

• Love 1

Sadie gives her closing argument in Billy's trial and the jury begins deliberating. Also, Sadie learns about Carolyn's cancer diagnosis; and Tiffany and Cameron defend a woman who murdered her best friend while allegedly sleepwalking

Season 1 ends with the jury delivering its verdict in Billy's trial and Sadie learning he has a secret that might have impacted his case. Meanwhile, Billy uses a favor owed to his family by the governor and gets Carolyn released from prison; and Nick is charged with murder.

3 minutes ago, deaja said:

Sadie gives her closing argument in Billy's trial and the jury begins deliberating. Also, Sadie learns about Carolyn's cancer diagnosis; and Tiffany and Cameron defend a woman who murdered her best friend while allegedly sleepwalking

The bolded sounds very much like a Law & Order episode I watched during its heyday.

4 minutes ago, deaja said:

Season 1 ends with the jury delivering its verdict in Billy's trial and Sadie learning he has a secret that might have impacted his case. Meanwhile, Billy uses a favor owed to his family by the governor and gets Carolyn released from prison; and Nick is charged with murder.

A better and more accurate description would be that "The Series Ends..." Since we know it's not coming back.

Sigh...

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

A better and more accurate description would be that "The Series Ends..." Since we know it's not coming back.

Sigh...

I'm way more irritated by this than I should be.  It was a good show and it's gotten better - 2 episodes? 

5 minutes ago, deaja said:

I'm way more irritated by this than I should be.  It was a good show and it's gotten better - 2 episodes? 

I completely agree! This show got better with each episode, and stupid CBS just axed it after two, without giving it a chance.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I completely agree! This show got better with each episode, and stupid CBS just axed it after two, without giving it a chance.

I agree, too.  I have to admit that this show is a big reason why I am giving any new show on CBS (or actually, on any of the Alphabet Networks) a big side eye these days. They are just WAY too quick to pull the cancellation trigger these days.  They don't even give a show a chance to find an audience before it's off the schedule and yet another reality competition or news program or superhero show is taking it's place.  I'll jump off my soapbox now before I derail this thread too much.  I'm glad CBS at least decided to let us see these episodes. 

• Love 9

I get that a show like this demands a certain amount of hand waving.  However... Billy's trial spans the entire run of the show and  the trial of the sleepwalker took place  -- opening statements to verdict -- IN A SINGLE DAY?!  

• Love 1

I called it in the pilot episode... Granted, it wasn't a bone marrow transplant, but the same idea.

"There was an episode on Law and Order (I think it was SVU) where a doctor inserted a tube with someone else's blood in his arm to evade a paternity test. So, maybe... Just a thought. "

I called it when they started dating!

And I didn't want to say this before the episode aired, but I feel the synopsis gave way too much away. If Billy's able to call in a favor from the governor, he's going to have been acquitted. 

I guess if there had been Season 2, it would have focused on Nick's trial?

18 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

I get that a show like this demands a certain amount of hand waving.  However... Billy's trial spans the entire run of the show and  the trial of the sleepwalker took place  -- opening statements to verdict -- IN A SINGLE DAY?!  

Not only that, but instead of showing us the verdict and that the client and victim's husband planned it, we get Tiffany, talking like a motormouth, clutching her pearls about how her client lied, and that she totally did it!

And look! It's BIFF!!!! The lawyer at the Conflicts and Character place.

And not only was the sleepwalking from Law & Order, but the judge presiding over Nick's marijuana 90 days sentence, played a jury consultant from the first season! And boo hoo, wah, wah. Idiot client depended on Nick to make sure she wouldn't miss showing up to court on time? I'm with the judge on that.

Oh Gee. Who didn't see that "twist" coming, what with the speedy proposal and engagement????

Sadie's law firm just SUCKS that the information about Billy's Leukemia wasn't discovered, or that the DA couldn't find that information.

And gee, can't have all the ADAs be decent public servants. Just had to make the one that changed the charges against Nick an asshole, because the only pure and good lawyers are from Isiah's firm, and the only good ADAs are Peter, the one in Nick's 90 day sentence case, and the one who had...Lupus? One would think a cop had been murdered and Nick knew and didn't say anything. But nope. He had the nerve to lawyer up. How dare he!???

And now I'm wondering if these episodes had all been filmed when the show premiered? Or if they did some reshoots? I don't think so, otherwise, we wouldn't have Nick's case ending on a cliffhanger-it totally would have been next season's big case, along with Billy trying to convince Sadie he was innocent.

• Love 1
On 8/11/2017 at 11:23 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm in agreement with all the disappointed viewers. The show displayed marked improvement with each episode. I thought Judith Light was outstanding in her role.

ETA: I knew Brennan was conning Heigl and would be guilty in the end.

• Love 1

Instead of calling Nick 30 times, maybe only call him 29 times and call a taxi cab one time? That was so dumb and contrived and the way the whole firm acted like they had to drop everything to fix his mistake was over the top. 

Nick promising to pick her up so she wouldn't be late was also stupid. Was she his only client? He warned her to make sure she wouldn't be late. Is she 10? The whole subplot was beyond stupid-the judge even warned her what would happen if she was late. Unless she was the highest paying client that kept the firm safe solvent, Nick shouldn't have made that promise. But then...PLOT CONTRIVANCE.?????

Then there are PLOT HOLES. Like, how did Tiffany find out the sleep walking client planned her friend's murder? We, the audience didn't see anything after Cam made the closing argument.

4 minutes ago, deaja said:

They also didn't establish any reason why the husband would have worked with her to murder his wife.

Exactly. I think Tiffany implied something but once again, she kept talking in short bursts, I had to keep rewinding my dvr and still all I got was that she and the husband were in on it together.

13 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Exactly. I think Tiffany implied something but once again, she kept talking in short bursts, I had to keep rewinding my dvr and still all I got was that she and the husband were in on it together.

By watching one look they exchanged as they left the courtroom. It made no sense. 

5 minutes ago, deaja said:

By watching one look they exchanged as they left the courtroom. It made no sense. 

Did they show this? I must have missed it. Because it's bugging me, I'll go and rewatch for that. At least on L.A. Law, when Victor was representing parents accused of murdering their child or something like that, and he got them acquitted, after the verdict, the camera pans to their hands interlinking and squeezing in a 'we got away with it' way, and Victor saw it, making him realize that they'd been guilty after all.

It was just lazy the way this show handled it.

Despite some of the dumbass plot points, I really did like the show. 

Now I have to suffer through the stupidity that is Suits to get my Dulé fix. Four more months until Gus and Shawn Return!??

I think the last time a show had a twist that I didn't see coming was who the murderer was in Murder One. That show, I think, was the first show to have a season long case/arc. I always wonder if it would have lasted longer had Daniel Benzali not left at the end of the first season. 

But this show was so obvious.

I'm still having issues with Sadie continuing to sleep with her client and that she wasn't sanctioned or brought before a hearing when they didn't even bother to hide the relationship near the end, is just mind boggling.

• Love 1

So, now that it's been a couple of days since the finale, I've realized I won't miss this show at all.  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we got to see how Billy's trial played out, but I don't need to see Nick's.  So long, Doubt.

• Love 2

Episode 12 and 13 were not shown on CBS on 8/12 on the west coast because of pre-season football.  Anyone know when/if they will be shown?  SO far not On Demand either.  What is worse than showing 2 episodes and canceling? How about seeing episodes 3-11 then being shut out of the last regular episode and the finale.  :(

On 8/14/2017 at 2:36 PM, Palomar said:

Episode 12 and 13 were not shown on CBS on 8/12 on the west coast because of pre-season football.  Anyone know when/if they will be shown?  SO far not On Demand either.  What is worse than showing 2 episodes and canceling? How about seeing episodes 3-11 then being shut out of the last regular episode and the finale.  :(

They are available to watch for free in the US on CBS's site if you still haven't seen them. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:55 AM, Jaded said:

They are available to watch for free in the US on CBS's site if you still haven't seen them. 

Thanks Jaded.  They did finally show up on my On Demand channel. 

I had no idea that they decided to finish out the episodes over the summer so catching up via on demand. The graffiti storyline was fantastic. Sadie is an idiot. 

The sister testimony was so heartbreaking. You can see what his mom was doing to discredit her by giving those tapes and it was so sad to watch. Made me laugh when defense attornies think that prosecutors are "slimy." Uh no, that would be you guys.

Edited by twoods