Type keyword(s) to search

Doubt - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

This cast looks pretty good. I like Laverne Cox, Dreama Walker, Dulé Hill and Elliott Gould. It's advertised as a drama but almost all the leads have comedic experience so I wonder if I they'll have a few light moments or dark comedy elements. The promo indicates a nice balance. 

• Love 2

Albert: (to idiot of a client)"What, you watched a couple of episodes of Law & Order and now you're a lawyer? Who the hell knows what they'll find. Not you, Perry Mason."

Me: ???at two of my fave shows used as shade.

It's not the best show I've watched, but aside from Heigl, who I really don't like, I like the cast of actors and there are a whole lotta HITG!! actors.

But I'm totally in it for Dulé!

ETA: OMGEEE!!! ❤️Judith Light!!!❤️

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6

It was very much a pilot, with the exposition fairy waving her wand over each of the main characters and giving us a tiny trait for each one. "He's an old-school liberal defending the downtrodden! Her mother was jailed when she was two! He's so driven he forgot his dog!"

I'll give another episode or two, to see how the story goes.

• Love 1

I don't understand the Heigl haters. I've always liked her.  I never watched GA but I liked this show. Great surprise with Judith Light. Elliot Gould is really good. The story is a mashup of real life cases from Michael Skakel to Durst to that doctor who dropped his wife from an airplane.  Elliot Gould is playing William Kunstler. 

• Love 3

I came across this purely by accident last night, and I really liked it. I'm not usually one for legal dramas, so this surprised me. Heigl was likable, and I got drawn in. Feels like a good cast and I hope the story lines don't cause me to roll my eyes too much. I'm in for the next few episodes to see how it all shakes out.

• Love 2

I enjoyed it except for the blood test plot which stretched my credulity a little too much. It doesn't matter whether it's a good idea for the defense's legal case or not. The prosecution would ask for the defendant's blood, and any judge in the country would grant a warrant. The defendant wouldn't really have a choice in the matter. If the evidence turns out to exhonerate the defendant because the blood doesn't match, then that's too bad for the prosecution. But after all, the prosecution isn't just the flip side of the defense. They're supposed to care about the truth.

108578_0227b_595_Mini%20Logo%20TV%20whit

As Sadie tries to keep her relationship with Billy strictly professional, she works on a case involving one of Isaiah’s oldest friends, Jonah Porter. Also, Cameron is conflicted about whether or not to convince her client to testify against his own cousin in order to avoid jail time for a murder he didn’t commit.

Promos

The rich backstory provides the makings of a great show. I'm just not sure Katherine Heigl has the acting chops to fully plumb the emotional depths. But, I'm in, at least for a few more episodes. 

I'll put my thoughts re the defendent's insistance on a blood test in spoiler:

Spoiler

There was an episode on Law and Order (I think it was SVU) where a doctor inserted a tube with someone else's blood in his arm to evade a paternity test. So, maybe... Just a thought. 

The entire cast seemed to be rushing their lines and seemed a bit stilted to me. Probably they'll settle in as things go along. Elliott Gould is a caricature at this point, but that's what you get with him so I assume that's what the producers wanted.

Either I'm having trouble disassociating Heigl from her Izzie role on Grey's or she's been in one too many ditzy romcoms, but I'm not buying her yet as a shrewd, high-powered attorney. Putting her immediately into a storyline of thwarted romance doesn't help.

• Love 1

I checked it out for Dule but ended up enjoying it and will keep watching. I liked the cast and the storylines so far. I really hope they don't make the pediatric surgeon the killer, but for angst they probably will. I also liked the twist at the end.

So much of the cast is so familiar to me that it's hard seeing them in different roles. Monica and Ross' dad as a powerful boss was the biggest one for me. 

It was entertaining enough. I'll give it a few more weeks and then decide.

6 hours ago, deaja said:

So much of the cast is so familiar to me that it's hard seeing them in different roles. Monica and Ross' dad as a powerful boss was the biggest one for me. 

It was entertaining enough. I'll give it a few more weeks and then decide.

So funny that people recall Elliot Gould as Monica and Ross's dad!  His most famous role is the movie version of M*A*S*H.  And Barbara Streisand's first husband. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Kathyk1024 said:

I bet she's pregnant in real life now.  Her hair is shorter and she looks puffer than last week.

No, she had the baby in the beginning of January.  But she was pregnant when they filmed the first few episodes.  Dulé Hill revealed this on the Access Hollywood interview he posted on his FB page.

I don't care-I'm in, because I love Dulé. This episode was okay but I had to ??that the new guy and second year associate had to go through all those boxes! I'm pretty sure a law firm that size has interns and paralegals who could go through them.

Out of the whole cast, shrieky whiny blonde is the weakest link and can go anytime.

• Love 4

Still in with this show even though I started only because of Dule. I like the cast and so far the cases are compelling. The judge made me cry when he was on the stand, and I'm still hoping that the surgeon is innocent because I like him too. Plus, Judith Light. 

Of course because of the bad ratings it will probably get cancelled. 

Edited by twoods
On 2/20/2017 at 1:24 PM, GussieK said:

His most famous role is the movie version of M*A*S*H.  And Barbara Streisand's first husband. 

Dr. John "Trapper John" McIntyre. One of my all time favorite movies.

The first time we saw it I was the only one in the theater who laughed at the loudspeaker in the background with the "fallout for short arm inspection". Guess I must have been the only veteran in the crowd.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, CaptainCranky said:

Dr. John "Trapper John" McIntyre. One of my all time favorite movies.

The first time we saw it I was the only one in the theater who laughed at the loudspeaker in the background with the "fallout for short arm inspection". Guess I must have been the only veteran in the crowd.

The first time I saw it, my friends and I had to pick a theater that would let us in because it was R rated and we were under 17.  One of the local theaters did not check IDs.  Of course, I don't know what these theaters do now.

28 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Doubt cancelled - Er, pulled from the schedule after two episodes.

Heigl needs to find a soapy ensemble or try to jump on the streaming train.

Frankly, I think Heigl may have been part of the problem. People either hate her or love her with no middle ground. I wonder if this show would have fared any better with original lead KaDee Strickland? Probably not, but it just makes me wonder.

• Love 3
On 15/02/2017 at 11:12 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

It's not the best show I've watched, but aside from Heigl, who I really don't like, I like the cast of actors and there are a whole lotta HITG!! actors.

I know what you mean, i like pretty much everyone else way more than Heigl. And a lot of them are recognizable to the point where i am going to pretend they are their previous characters (and for a lot of them it works). Dule's character used to be an assistant to POTUS, their investigator used to be a Baltimore  detective and the blonde 2nd year associate totally has a party girl roomate Chloe who some might call a b****. They just need to tell me that Judit Light's character used to be an advertising executive who had a male housekeeper. And if that other DA ever mentions that he was an antiques dealer in another life I will lose it.

1 hour ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Doubt cancelled - Er, pulled from the schedule after two episodes.

Heigl needs to find a soapy ensemble or try to jump on the streaming train.

Damn. Now it's going to bug me whether Angela Judith Light's character gets parole and if the doctor really was innocent or guilty. But I'm most bummed cuz this means no more Charlie/Gus Dulé Hill in my screen and if Shawn James Roday would have made a guest appearance.?

• Love 4
11 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Frankly, I think Heigl may have been part of the problem. People either hate her or love her with no middle ground. I wonder if this show would have fared any better with original lead KaDee Strickland? Probably not, but it just makes me wonder.

I had no idea KaDee was originally supposed to be the lead. I think she would have made the show more attractive to viewers and she has spunk with a side of toughness that Heigl doesn't seem to have anymore. The second episode of this show was better then the first and I was kind of warming to her character. I hate that they pulled it after two airings.

Heigl's behavior and body language on the talk show circuit while promoting Doubt made me remember why I've been so annoyed by her over the years. She let out a sigh when mentioning Roswell on Corden's show and still acted like she was above it. She's gotten lucky by being cast on two shows after her Grey's exit that probably could have fared better had she not been a part of them. You'd think she'd try to be more humble at this point. I've kind of wondered if she has anxiety or something that makes her act aloof and awkward in person. 

9 hours ago, maraleia said:

I'm pissed because Laverne's character was supposed to have this epic romance story which never happens for trans characters. I blame the casting of Heigl on the low ratings.

I was looking forward to that story line too especially after seeing Laverne on Colbert the other night. I've hated seeing the comments being made about her elsewhere in response to articles about the show being pulled already.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2

So the show with one of the best casts on TV and several (more or less) interesting storylines that might be worth exploring gets canceled but unwatchable crap like "Bull" is a hit.  Clearly I'm way out of step with the rest of the TV-viewing public.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, clb1016 said:

So the show with one of the best casts on TV and several (more or less) interesting storylines that might be worth exploring gets canceled but unwatchable crap like "Bull" is a hit.  Clearly I'm way out of step with the rest of the TV-viewing public.

Bull isn't really doing that well either (it's more of a timeslot hit), it's just that this was doing even worse. 

CBS has run aground on new drama in recent years. 

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

Bull isn't really doing that well either (it's more of a timeslot hit), it's just that this was doing even worse. 

CBS has run aground on new drama in recent years. 

True about CBS (especially in the 10:00p slot) and I'm sure they had some kind of agreement w/Weatherly to give him every opportunity to succeed, given his long-time popularity in NCIS but, as is implicit in your post, they almost have nothing to lose by trying some of these shows (Doubt, Code Black) in other time slots.  After all, they know their audience, network-wide, skews older and procedurals can do well (see NBC's whole Chicago line-up).  They just seem to have pulled the plug really quickly.

• Love 1

The basic premise of this show is usually right up my alley and the cast was so terrific (love Dule Hill especially) but I had zero interest in tuning in because I cannot stand Katherine Heigl.  To me, she is just a huge negative to any show or film and I just don't care for her in real life (at least from what I've seen -- no, I don't know her!).  Was not one bit surprised that this was cancelled but I'm sorry for the rest of the good folks in the cast.

• Love 2