Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: The Bachelor Party

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

WTH did I watch?  It was nice to see that Jeremy has actual friends, but Jinger squealing "BAAAAAABE" drives me nuts.  As does Jessa's fake laugh.  What a smug little twit.  Have to say that Spud is adorable, though. 

Cannot believe that Joy is the next to be married off.  When they asked her what a "birdie" is, she sounded like a 4 year old.  She seems like she's not very bright.  And has a speech impediment of some sort, too.  Another Duggar left untreated?

Jill and Derrick are getting stranger each episode.  I thought she would grow up a little, but it seems like she has regressed.  I can barely look at him, with his stupid hair.  He used to be kind of nice looking.  What happened?!?!?!?!?

The whole "accountability partner" is too weird for words.  Can't TLC find something else?  I forced myself to watch about half of the episode, but had to turn it off because I felt that I was losing brain cells.  I cannot believe they still have "fans". 

Each episode gets even more boring. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

And yes, I was hoping JB would have went with the guys to the golf course because I would have love for someone to accidently hit him in the head with a golf ball.

I read the first part of that sentence and I thought you were going to finish by saying "...because I would have loved for someone to dry-hump him by the 15th tee."  I should probably see myself off to the prayer closet.

• Love 7
On 2/7/2017 at 5:46 PM, Almost 3000 said:

Would someone please fill me in on the "shower rack issue" because somehow I've managed to miss that catastrophe and it keeps coming up as something that really shook up Jill. I don't get it or maybe that's the point...

Don't think this was answered yet. When Jill & family were down in Danger America, one night Jill heard some sort of scary noise. She took Big White Baby into the bathroom with her and texted with her family in Arkansas about how scared she was (they didn't know if it was a robbery or some kidnapper come to take BWB for ransom); it was high drama. Turned out it was just a shower rack falling down. Only she still talks about the incident with tears in her eyes.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think it's a twofer; TLC keeps both the leghumpers and snarkers watching and the Duggars get to shine their backwoods and barefoot stars.

I watch waiting for another Josh to show up or the anvil to fall in some way or other. Their know-it-all self-righteousness., smug  entitled "specialness", total misrepresentation of Christianity ,  and hypocrisy invites yet another round of darkness.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Please for the love of Pistol Pete

And yes, I was hoping JB would have went with the guys to the golf course because I would have love for someone to accidently hit him in the head with a golf ball.

Ok --  I love that phrase!  Please for the love of Pistol Pete!  I plan to use that every day, now!

Also, I think keeping JB off golf courses is a public service considering the show he and mullet put on at the putt putt place!  Just sayin'!!  Plus you know that helmet hair with all the hairspray would protect the pea brain contained inside (I guess I think there's something in there).

• Love 3
14 hours ago, flyingdi said:

I don't get why their own station, which went out of the way to woo and keep the Duggars, goes out of their way to embarrass them with these questions.  Seriously, is TLC trying to say, "Hey look how stupid this kids are?"

Hey, it fills up some air time. Otherwise, what? Fourth and fifth repeats of the same talking heads within the same half hour? 

And it'd probably be a heck of a lot harder to come up with questions that Duggars actually could answer. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, doodlebug said:

They didn't attend an actual medical ultrasound facility.  They went to a boutique, strip mall, ultrasound-for-fun place.  These are becoming more popular and seem to be all the rage amongst fundies.  If you google prenatal ultrasound in Arkansas, you'll find links to a bunch of them with cutesy names like 'Womb with a View' or 'Sneak a Peek'.  The websites offer all kinds of 'packages' including party rooms for the gender reveal celebration afterwards.  Many of them include Biblical quotes on their websites to draw in the fundies, I suppose.

These places are strictly for entertainment, provide no medical information whatsoever and everyone who goes there signs a waiver.  No need for insurance or ID; they don't bill insurance; you pay cash or credit on the barrelhead, right there and then. 

Since they have said they don't believe in credit cards, do they all carry around wads of cash for everything they do?

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Since they have said they don't believe in credit cards, do they all carry around wads of cash for everything they do?

I think there is a lot of saying what they do and what they actually do.  Maybe they have debit cards but that would mean trusting a bank.  I have no proof, but I think they can say they don't "have" a TV, but can watch on their MacBooks- so when they say they don't watch TV, that is sort of true.  I think we have seen pictures of some of the girls at home in the dreaded pants.  Anyway, like I said, i don't have proof.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, LilJen said:

When Jill & family were down in Danger America, one night Jill heard some sort of scary noise. She took Big White Baby into the bathroom with her and texted with her family in Arkansas about how scared she was (they didn't know if it was a robbery or some kidnapper come to take BWB for ransom); it was high drama. Turned out it was just a shower rack falling down. Only she still talks about the incident with tears in her eyes.

I think that something bad did happen to them in Danger America, which they aren't talking about. I think Jill's a nutjob, but even her family seemed to sense how off-the-charts the story sounded, and rushed in help. Jessa chimed right in that oh yes, they had heard gunfire when visiting the Dillards in Danger America. As in, it really is dangerous down there, it's not just Jill being a basket case. I thought the atmosphere in that video clip when the Dillards were telling the story, was awkward to say the least. My take on it was that there was a boatload of stuff left unspoken. 

Maybe there wasn't ever a falling shower rack, and that was a quickly created story. Or maybe there was a falling shower rack which terrified Jill, because something else had happened that had them on edge. 

BTW, if the Dillards had something traumatic to deal with in Central America, and don't want to drag it out for public consumption, I'm OK with that. But if they want to snivel and cry about stuff they shoulda created a more credible cover story.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

How do they book flights? Debt is bad, but keeping a zero balance on a card doesn't sound like it would be a sin. You don't have debt if you pay off what you owe immediately.

You can book a flight on most airlines with a big-company debit card like Visa, I think. I expect that's what they do. 

• Love 1

Someone purposed a very good question - why do I keep watching, especially if I'm going to trash-talk every show.

I think I watch (and fast-forward) because I feel sort of "invested" in these kids.  I have watched the show from the beginning.  I thought the family was unique and IMO, the early show were interesting.  It was fascinating to me to see how parents raised some many children, including home schooling them all.

I saw Jim-Bob weep when Grandpa Dugger died and it tore my heart.  I saw him cringe whenever Cousin Amy was around because she was so "worldly", and it made me smile.

I remember when Josie was born and it was so touch-and-go for a while, and how I even prayed for the survival of that sweet little baby.

It was fun watching Josh and Anna begin a life together, to see him get his business off the ground etc.  I was still invested in the show when the first girl got married.  I thought it was so precious.  Jim-Bob's careful watching (and running interference) as the two young adults tried to get to know each other got on my nerves quite a bit though.

Then the novelty began to wear off.  Big Time!  I saw how manipulative Jim-Bob was.  I saw how he paraded his virgin daughters before "worthy" suitors and it made me kind of ill.  

Then the stuff with Josh came out.  I was soooooo angry with both Jim-Bob and Michelle, but especially Jim-Bob.  I felt he was so busy trying to protect the chastity of his adult daughters that he seem to gloss over what Josh had done as prepubescent curiosity.  He, Jim-Bob, created that environment by raising those children in a vacuum, and completely cutting them off from the real world.

So it appears to me now that he's trying to marrying off as many of the older girls as he can to keep the TLC money coming in because he knows that the courtships are the only thing that interest most of us anymore.  It appears that the boys are on their own.

So I guess I watch because I want really want to know what happens to everybody and how they're doing.  I truly want happiness for them all, but I fear Jim-Bob is ruining the lives of his daughters by encouraging them to marry the first guy who touches their elbow when crossing the street.  It is insane what he is doing!

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Hey, it fills up some air time. Otherwise, what? Fourth and fifth repeats of the same talking heads within the same half hour? 

And it'd probably be a heck of a lot harder to come up with questions that Duggars actually could answer. 

At least TLC quit with The Duggars use 17 trillion squares of toilet paper per year!!!

The Duggars go through 16,ooo pieces of macaroni in just one dinner!!!

It would take 4 lbs of cheese to feed all the Duggars their pizzas!!!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Marigold said:

I am guessing that debit cards are fine. 

Jim Bob said debit cards are okay back when Josie was born. The older girls were doing grocery shopping and he gave them a debit card to use (and made one of his corny jokes). Jim bob has said they carry cash because cash is the best to way to bargain a good deal but I guess realize that debit cards are necessary for some purchases. I have always wondered how the family still thinks they can preach about getting so many bargains by using cash. Besides the obvious fact we can see on counting on, buying used is not the norm, how many business really will give a great bargain for cash? Maybe a dentist gives 10% off, or a repairman gives a small discount but most business don't have the owner present when you are buying, and most employees cant give a discount for cash.

As for Jill, if something happened or she was afraid something was going to happen, this is the reason the Dillard's should have gone to the proper missionary training. I know Derrick had some before Nepal, but the training the sponsor church was requiring meant delaying the mission for about a year for intensive training and for some reason, filming?, getting away from scandals?, the Dillards wants to leave asap.

This show could easily be cut down to 30 minutes with no lost of content.  I think folks get bored with the filler stuff and that's why they (including me) trash-talk it so much.  Basically, all I want is NEW stuff and/or just an update on continuing stuff - not rehashing the same old BS. Now they're going to drag out Joy's courting/engagement/marriage for two years and side-hugs.  Good grief TLC!!!

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

Now they're going to drag out Joy's courting/engagement/marriage for two years and side-hugs.  Good grief TLC!!!

It's years and years of side hugs! I'm really sick of side hugs at this point. Apparently producers think side hugs are fascinating. 

• Love 1

Side hugs are just silly.  My teenage grandson and I have a running joke.  He will ask me to do something for him, usually food related, and I will say "only if you let me have 12 Duggar side hugs".  And we find this very funny.  Cringe and Babe didn't do side hugs, did they?  Or at least not exclusively?

• Love 4

Just thought of another thing that drives me crazy!!!  "I get to marry my best friend!"  Puhleez.  You meet somebody one month, start courting the next, get married shortly thereafter, and that's your best friend?

My best friends are people I have know since I was about 12.  Yeah, 50 years.  And my husband, met him in 1980, married in 1984.  Those are best friends.  You grow together, share life experiences, see each other through the rough times, celebrate the good times and create a bond.  Not saying I don't have good friends that I met just a few years ago.   And it's possible to become best friends with somebody after a short time.  However, you have to have things in common and be able to enjoy each other's company, get to know each other  (without an "accountability partner).

But for all the girls to parrot that they are marrying their best friends just shows how sheltered they are.  You HAVE no friends, no life, nothing outside Duggarville.  And that's sad.

• Love 16
32 minutes ago, SmallTownMom said:

You HAVE no friends, no life, nothing outside Duggarville.  And that's sad.

And therein lies the saddest part of all.  They know nothing that their parents did not exposed them to.  Go off to college?  Even a community college?  They would be like a fish out of water.  They wouldn't know 80% of the things young adults their age would be talking about.  It's almost like being raised in a cult or something.  Yet it appears the girls all have smart phones.  They know how to use social media.  No telling what kind of stuff they look up when the cameras and Jim-Bob's spying eyes are not on them.

They MUST know there is a big world out there.  Ready to explore.  They travel on honeymoons, right?  So they know there's something besides screwing and babies every 18 months.  What about a doggone job!!!

• Love 4

A couple of the Duggar girls have referred to a couple of the Bates girls as their best friends while they were growing up. How can your BEST friend possibly be someone who lives several states away?  Someone you get to see once a year at Big Sandy?  Someone who came to your house twice?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, louannems said:

A couple of the Duggar girls have referred to a couple of the Bates girls as their best friends while they were growing up. How can your BEST friend possibly be someone who lives several states away?  Someone you get to see once a year at Big Sandy?  Someone who came to your house twice?

The Maxwell kids aren't even allowed to have friends. On many levels, they are far more insulated than the Duggar kids. Their house is spit shined clean at least, but then, thats what they do for "fun".

This whole "best friend" thing really gives me the irrits!  They act like a kid who makes "best friends" on the first day of school. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Evagirl said:

This show could easily be cut down to 30 minutes with no lost of content.  I think folks get bored with the filler stuff and that's why they (including me) trash-talk it so much.  Basically, all I want is NEW stuff and/or just an update on continuing stuff - not rehashing the same old BS. Now they're going to drag out Joy's courting/engagement/marriage for two years and side-hugs.  Good grief TLC!!!

I agree. 100%. I caught most the older shows-series (16 kids  and up) on rerun before Josh-gate. Weren't most of them 30 min shows? And I guess because all of the kids were minors there were few TH - except JB & Mich.

I really think "Counting On" would be better if it was 30 min. Another reason I like the Bates show - both just don't have enough going in their lives each week to fill up 60 min every episode.

'Counting On' can cut the asking of TH questions, if they go to 30 min. They don't know the answer to mainstream questions and even IF they got one right, wouldn't understand why, as they didn't have the life experience to match the answer. I'm still baffled on Ben's answer to "what is homecoming".. I guess in his mind every 2-3 games away, there should be a "homecoming  event".  Heaven forbid if an university (and I'm sure there are some) holds its homecoming festivities during basketball/soccer season. Ben would be looking for a parade every few days, for weeks on end.

If the adult children don't start portraying themselves as adults and having something for viewers and advertisers to catch onto, they will eventually lose their 1st airing audience and be something that people catch on demand/next-day stream. We audience is getting older too - what was cute 10 years ago, isn't as cute now..

Why I watch you ask - it fills a time slot for me on Tuesday and  Cake Boss/Quiencera followed (i.e. I was trying to get to the next show). But since Counting on moved to Monday, when MNF comes back, I will see - probably join in on the "dvr/next day" watching.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, SmallTownMom said:

Just thought of another thing that drives me crazy!!!  "I get to marry my best friend!"  Puhleez.  You meet somebody one month, start courting the next, get married shortly thereafter, and that's your best friend?

My best friends are people I have know since I was about 12.  Yeah, 50 years.  And my husband, met him in 1980, married in 1984.  Those are best friends.  You grow together, share life experiences, see each other through the rough times, celebrate the good times and create a bond.  Not saying I don't have good friends that I met just a few years ago.   And it's possible to become best friends with somebody after a short time.  However, you have to have things in common and be able to enjoy each other's company, get to know each other  (without an "accountability partner).

But for all the girls to parrot that they are marrying their best friends just shows how sheltered they are.  You HAVE no friends, no life, nothing outside Duggarville.  And that's sad.

YEEESSS!!! A best friend has been by your/each other side long enough to experience  seasons of life - the good and the bad.

I don't wish disappointment/harm/grief on anyone, but the Duggar style of courtship/engagement prevents waiting for natural life to happen. They are too big of a hurry to get to the alter - while life is "happy and perfect". Have they "courted" a person when they lost their job, bad days/weeks at work, failed a class in school, sibling/parent passes, financial issues, health issues, car issues, previous heartache, etc. It is nice to see how someone handles real-life stress before getting married. Not saying wait so long for an "event" to happen, though.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sATL said:

I agree. 100%. I caught most the older shows-series (16 kids  and up) on rerun before Josh-gate. Weren't most of them 30 min shows? And I guess because all of the kids were minors there were few TH - except JB & Mich.

I really think "Counting On" would be better if it was 30 min. Another reason I like the Bates show - both just don't have enough going in their lives each week to fill up 60 min every episode.

'Counting On' can cut the asking of TH questions, if they go to 30 min. They don't know the answer to mainstream questions and even IF they got one right, wouldn't understand why, as they didn't have the life experience to match the answer. I'm still baffled on Ben's answer to "what is homecoming".. I guess in his mind every 2-3 games away, there should be a "homecoming  event".  Heaven forbid if an university (and I'm sure there are some) holds its homecoming festivities during basketball/soccer season. Ben would be looking for a parade every few days, for weeks on end.

If the adult children don't start portraying themselves as adults and having something for viewers and advertisers to catch onto, they will eventually lose their 1st airing audience and be something that people catch on demand/next-day stream. We audience is getting older too - what was cute 10 years ago, isn't as cute now..

Why I watch you ask - it fills a time slot for me on Tuesday and  Cake Boss/Quiencera followed (i.e. I was trying to get to the next show). But since Counting on moved to Monday, when MNF comes back, I will see - probably join in on the "dvr/next day" watching.

They need to get the lost girls and boy (Jackson) and the Howlers involved in the show again. It's so fucking dull. Kids say the darndest things, kidults say the blandest things. Flame says the "wackest" things, yo dawg. 

We lost Jackson and Johannah and got John-David and Joy-Anna as replacements. The Bambi killers. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 6
On 2/9/2017 at 5:32 PM, silverspoons said:

Jim Bob said debit cards are okay back when Josie was born. The older girls were doing grocery shopping and he gave them a debit card to use (and made one of his corny jokes). Jim bob has said they carry cash because cash is the best to way to bargain a good deal but I guess realize that debit cards are necessary for some purchases. I have always wondered how the family still thinks they can preach about getting so many bargains by using cash. Besides the obvious fact we can see on counting on, buying used is not the norm, how many business really will give a great bargain for cash? Maybe a dentist gives 10% off, or a repairman gives a small discount but most business don't have the owner present when you are buying, and most employees cant give a discount for cash.

\

Pa always said, cash on the barrell

• Love 2
On 2/10/2017 at 6:40 PM, Kokapetl said:

They need to get the lost girls and boy (Jackson) and the Howlers involved in the show again. It's so fucking dull. Kids say the darndest things, kidults say the blandest things. Flame says the "wackest" things, yo dawg. 

We lost Jackson and Johannah and got John-David and Joy-Anna as replacements. The Bambi killers. 

At least Jackson really liked the camera which is more than I can say for two or three of the adult children.  JD and Jana, in particular.

On 10/02/2017 at 6:32 AM, silverspoons said:

I thought most business preferred debit card and credit card transactions, it means less cash on the premises, and it shows up in the bank account the next business day.

32 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

I thought most business preferred debit card and credit card transactions, it means less cash on the premises, and it shows up in the bank account the next business day.

Businesses are charged a small percent when customers use a charge card.

2 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

Isn't that like 0.5% for MasterCard or Visa? I guess they aren't technically charge cards. 

Ya, I'm not sure about debit cards. Most debit cards are attached to a credit though. I'm not sure if that makes a difference either.

On 2/9/2017 at 7:22 PM, SmallTownMom said:

The "marrying your best friend" thing also bothers me because it feeds into this apparent fantasy of marriage being THE accomplishment in life and of that person being THE one. . . so, what happens when the couple disagree or fight? These kids have no tools to use to resolve conflict; the girls especially have been taught to just 'keep sweet' and submit. Heaven forbid there should be any actual abuse of husbands toward the Duggar girls, because they'd most likely just take it and never leave. (Not advocating divorce at the drop of a hat, but when there's abuse, heck yeah it is probably a MUST.)

• Love 3
On 2/9/2017 at 6:22 PM, SmallTownMom said:

And it's possible to become best friends with somebody after a short time. 

Yeah, and you're probably not tying yourself to those people for the rest of your life within a few months of meeting them.

• Love 1
On 2/8/2017 at 9:44 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

I read the first part of that sentence and I thought you were going to finish by saying "...because I would have loved for someone to dry-hump him by the 15th tee."  I should probably see myself off to the prayer closet.

Does anyone watch "Schitt's Creek"? Eugene Levy and Chris Elliott had a scene on a golf course where they were teaching each other how to grip a club. . . playing it for laughs and it STILL was not gross like the JB Dry Hump. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Does anyone watch "Schitt's Creek"? Eugene Levy and Chris Elliott had a scene on a golf course where they were teaching each other how to grip a club. . . playing it for laughs and it STILL was not gross like the JB Dry Hump. 

YES! and YES!

• Love 1

I watched this one today. I can't believe how cold and unfazed both Derick and Jill were toward Cathy. She had just said how she came to the room to let Derick know his dad had passed. They stood there like idiots. I can believe it of Jill, but it surprised me that Derick didn't even flinch.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I watched this one today. I can't believe how cold and unfazed both Derick and Jill were toward Cathy. She had just said how she came to the room to let Derick know his dad had passed. They stood there like idiots. I can believe it of Jill, but it surprised me that Derick didn't even flinch.

It was probably rehearsed a bunch of times and if there were any normal e,options they were expended on the first take. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

That is absurd to think this poor lady had to do re-takes of that scene. 

She could have said no to exploiting her husband's death in order to get paid a few bucks and to make a FU Internet point to the heathen viewing masses because they just had to prove the Duggars do believe in higher education. Of course, the Duggars children had a change at higher education and marry someone who actually went to college. Cathy and her late husband mean nothing to the Duggars and TLC except when it comes to filming certain scenes to prove to the heathens out there the Duggars are not what they seem to be.