Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: The Bachelor Party

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I think they broke up. It's hard to tell with these online directories. But it looks to me as if he may no longer be at the address where they were living together in Rogers, Arkansas. But she's still there -- and listed as Cathy L. Dillard. .... That could be hogwash,  of course, given the vagaries of online records. But I'm sort of thinking it might be legit. 

Divorces are a matter of public record, but I don't feel right about digging through online court records to confirm this. Miss Cathy obviously chose to keep it a private matter if it's true-or the more likely scenario is Jim Boob decided it was bad for the brand.

That said, that might have been the reason behind Derick's really angry and unhinged screeds, at least this set of them anyway. I don't think he liked seeing his mother hurt.

• Love 3
Just now, Arwen Evenstar said:

Divorces are a matter of public record, but I don't feel right about digging through online court records to confirm this. Miss Cathy obviously chose to keep it a private matter if it's true-or the more likely scenario is Jim Boob decided it was bad for the brand.

That said, that might have been the reason behind Derick's really angry and unhinged screeds, at least this set of them anyway. I don't think he liked seeing his mother hurt.

Agree. And sometimes people split for a time to work through something difficult and come back together. You just never know. And of course Boob would never want it associated with his brand. (which will probably go down in history as indissolubly linked to long-lasting bad marriages....)

• Love 1

I think it's perfectly fine to use your first husband's last name as a middle name if you are a widow and even more so if you are a widow with children. Mr Byrum was camera shy from the get go. Who knows if he is still around, but Cathy's cancer could possibly be a factor in a break up if they indeed have broken up. 

• Love 3
Just now, GeeGolly said:

I think it's perfectly fine to use your first husband's last name as a middle name if you are a widow and even more so if you are a widow with children. 

I suppose you're right about that, but I think I'd worry about making the second guy feel bad if I were always called by it instead of just having it be there legally and in formal papers and such. 

1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Internet FU coming soon...though that said, I sincerely hope Miss Cathy and her hubs haven't split up.

What I found most disturbing was I caught myself tearing up when Miss Cathy told how she came to Derick's dorm to tell him "the news" about his dad...and there was Jill just gawping at her with this wooden look.  Even though in her defense it was a reenactment...but still would have made me bawl.

Too look at Jill, the lights are sometimes on, but she's never home...

Sometimes I think none of the Duggar kids know how to deal with their emotions.  It may be the " keeping sweet" thing.  Point is, I don't think it's only Jill.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I suppose you're right about that, but I think I'd worry about making the second guy feel bad if I were always called by it instead of just having it be there legally and in formal papers and such. 

I get that, and even though Derick and his brother were older I would want to continually honor their father's existence while balancing respect for my new marriage. It's something I would discuss up front for sure.

• Love 1

Hmmm....Cathy is still using Byrum on Instagram. I looked up the Christmas card from her office, but it didn't list any names. I figured that would be a recent lead, but alas, it didn't pan out. 

We really need to be talking about this on the Dullard thread before we get an earful from the mods. :)

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

Sometimes I think none of the Duggar kids know how to deal with their emotions.  It may be the " keeping sweet" thing.  Point is, I don't think it's only Jill.

I think all the Duggars squash and stuff their emotions and if one ekes out they try and pray it away. So very sad and usually comes back to bite adults in the ass one way or another. Not healthy at all. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Perhaps Mr Byrum wants his name completely off social media so stalkers and paps and the morbidly curious won't come around bothering him and his family. My hubs told me that if I want a SM page that I'm to leave his name out of it and not to post anything about him or pictures of him/us.

I am thinking the same thing. He might not care for the Duggars at all, and he does not want to be associated with them.

Is next week the last episode of the season? seems like a shorter season, this go around. Then there's a reunion show - if history repeats itself. One can only hope for a moderator that will ask the hard & pressing questions.

wonder what tlc is going to put in the time slot - Cake Boss ?

Edited by sATL
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Ratings are in:  1.165M viewers and a .31 rating.

So the birth gained about 100k viewers for a dull as ditchwater episode. I thought it would be higher. 

36 minutes ago, sATL said:

Is next week the last episode of the season? seems like a shorter season, this go around. Then there's a reunion show - if history repeats itself. One can only hope for a moderator that will ask the hard & pressing questions.

wonder what tlc is going to put in the time slot - Cake Boss ?

From what I understand, next week is the "All About Jinger" episode, then they're doing a 2 hour wedding special the following week. After that, I imagine we get shifted to Joy's narrative. Season finale is the birth. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

So the birth was worth about 100k viewers for a dull as ditchwater episode. I thought it would be higher. 

From what I understand, next week is the "All About Jinger" episode, then they're doing a 2 hour wedding special the next week. After that, I imagine we get the birth; they will have had weeks (rather than days) to compile shower footage, etc. for filler. 

Why are they doing the wedding special AGAIN? Didn't we have a 2 hour wedding episode last season?

The only backwards story that was engaging or funny was the backwards Seinfeld episode. This version of backward storytelling grates on my nervous system. Surprised Duggars would agree to telling a story in reverse, being they forbade their kids to listen to rock  and roll, claiming playing records backwards had evil hidden messages.

• Love 2

I think the two hours adds in the rehearsal dinner and more lead-up to the ceremony, possibly also the reception? 

All conjecture as to the filler, but someone who doesn't have Comcast (she lives in Canada) was able to see programming out that far, and two hours is confirmed. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I think the two hours adds in the rehearsal dinner and more lead-up to the ceremony, possibly also the reception? 

All conjecture as to the filler, but someone who doesn't have Comcast (she lives in Canada) was able to see programming out that far, and two hours is confirmed. 

Oh great, more fucking replays of everyone else's engagements and nuptials. Guess this means we'll see fame whore J Rod fawning all over the Duggars. 

• Love 1

I just watched the show.  Everything has been covered for this super special, amazingly BORING show, but I'll throw in my two cents.

In Escape Room, someone read a clue as A Fish That's Vomiting.  I immediately thought of poor Spurgie's name.

At the front desk while Jessa was checking in for her ultrasound, THERE WAS NO CHECK IN!  I was an x-ray technologist for 33 years, and have checked in hundreds of patients.  There are always at least 2 identifiers.  Full name, last 4 of social security number (I worked at the VA hospital that still uses full social security numbers), date of birth, and how about an ID card, an insurance card, SOMETHING!!! Not just, are you Jessa and come on back.

The ultrasound exam room had a big Hobby Lobby FAITH sign on the wall.

Ben states that it is good to finally know the new baby's sex so they can get a room set up for the new baby.  What new room, Ben?  There are no more rooms in your house!

Jinger's talks of Jeremy's friends and "my family".  Proof that Jinger was never given the opportunity to develop friendships.

Jeremy, even the Duggars have stopped buttoning all the way up to their chins.  Why do you do it?  Are you mocking them?

At the dinner at TTH, I saw yet again aluminum pans filled with food.  Does that family ever break out a real serving platter and dishes?

Escape Room and Myan culture and SOTDRT and Duggers do not mix!

Was Jill wearing Derick's huge gray long sleeved tee shirt?  It was not becoming on her at all!  Especially for TV.

The TH golf talk about birdies, etc was pathetic and dull. So stupid!

Michelle's screeches during jewelry making made her sound so old! "We will be so sad!".

It was such a blessing playing golf, states Luis.

James and Luis had their golf shirt brand names sewn over with blank name tape.

Joy does not have pierced ears.

Jinge- The day was amazing and super special!

Derick's dad died when he was 18 and a sophomore in college.  He must have skipped a grade so he must be smart, at one time at least. He was playing a video game when his mom came to break the news of his dad's death. A normal activity for a young man, as is swimming in a real swim suit.

Izzy dancing and enjoying the parade was the only unscripted and enjoyable thing I watched.

A few seconds of reenactment followed by horrid Talking Heads make me wonder how this show can even be listed under the reality genre.

• Love 8

Jessa didn't go to a medical ultrasound place thus no need for medical records or official check in.  They went to one of the "entertainment" places usually at a strip mall or possibly a regular mall. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Oh great, more fucking replays of everyone else's engagements and nuptials. Guess this means we'll see fame whore J Rod fawning all over the Duggars. 

That would be GOLD! Then we could really snark on her here. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, sATL said:
  Reveal hidden contents

still searching for Mr. Byrum.. On Ms. Cathy website she has a pix of the family minus her husband.

Jill is wearing her signature orange shirt (link). her Instagram has pix of her new daughter-in-law and other pix of older men, one of which could be her hubby (link). I don't have an Instagram account so I may be limited in what I can/can't see.

I do believe you're going to solve this riddle of "where in the world is Mr. Cathy?"  Be sure to post your findings.

The dummification of America continues, thanks be to the Duggar's and their ilk. "I want to be just like them" said by nobody with a brain. This seriously passes as entertainment within TLC? That being said, I have to love the kids not being able to answer questions. And they really need to stop with the word gender. It's SEX. A pet peeve.

I almost think folding laundry is more thrilling.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 4

One thing I've noticed about the Duggar girls, they all sound alike when they laugh.  Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard any of the girls just burst out in peals of laughter.  Most of the time it's just "ha ha".  So weird.

I watch the Bates on UP and it's hard to believe these families are close.  The husbands all have REAL jobs.  They all seem to have outside interests.  The dating is strict, but not as strict as the Duggars.  Hugs are real hugs - none of that fake stuff.  And the kids really do love and respect their parents.  Gil and Kelly's love for their offspring is apparent as well.

I guess I stick with the Duggars because I started out with 16 and counting, so I want to see it through.  But it is so boring.  I always DVR the show.  I usually can get through a one hour show in 15 minutes.  I can't stand the idiotic questions the producers ask the kids!  The kids (all of them) sit there like Stepford kids of something.  Not an original thought among them.  They don't seem to have any interest outside of marriage and babies, and no desire to really learn anything about life outside Duggarville.  

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, louannems said:

Izzy dancing and enjoying the parade was the only unscripted and enjoyable thing I watched.

I agree.  Izzy's genuine joy watching the parade was nice to see.  Jill and Derick are very (dare I say) blessed to have such a sweet little boy. 

It was also nice to see Derick reminisce over his university days, which seems like a good time in his life.  I truly hope that Izzy and the rest of their children have the opportunity for higher education.  Heck, anything above the SODRT (taught by Mama Jill *shudder*) would be a step up.  It seems that education is much more valued on Derick's side of the family, which leaves me hopeful. 

• Love 2

Oh my oh my.  Watching this episode, I found  myself wondering if these are actually  creatures from  some  dark dark planet  far, far  away from our solar system ( or any solar system) and of  much  lower intelligence--- who accidentally, and through no act of their own,  fell to earth and, as it is  with those who suspect they could be inferior,  lay claim  instead to  assuming they are  superior . 

How else to explain this? 

First----little Jessa,  here on earth it's important to understand that there are a lot of children.  Really!  It's true.    That's how we got here too!!!  We were born!   Can you believe it?  So, apart from some cloying  and perhaps delusional  tip to TV show ratings,   the overwhelming majority of earthlings don't give a fig if  what you're having is  a boy or a girl...  or whatever.  You're not really all THAT special.

But  you give a  a hint as to   your true identity when you reveal that in keeping this a secret (although we now all  know its a boy)   You speak for your entire clan: "We like to torture people."  Heh heh heh.

And  poor sister Jill's  blank outer-spaceness   continues to be most telling as she  says her husband has a distinct edge  in the boy-girl guessing game.  "He's always right.  I'm always wrong."  Is that because he's actually from earth?  

Jeremy Jeremy Jeremy!   Stay strong.  The pull of  alien invaders can be forceful.    But try!  You and your friends may have a chance.  And you may even  be able to help your own  endlessly- gaping robot (Babe, Babe, Babe)   escape her  clan's force field.  Heaven knows she should make a run for it!  In this episode,  her desperate motivation to flee is confirmed:   "she does all the laundry and all the grocery shopping  plus plans fun outing" for the  siblings (ie....it never stops!...did she come from a place where indentured servitude was still sanctioned?)   You represent hope, Jeremy.,,,, until you fall into traps like "the Escape room." and  act as if  1.  it has meaning and 2. it is fun.   So sad.    Resist!

On  and on it went:   the golf-term idiocy;  the endless "girl-talk"on the deep significance (?) of  "the first kiss"; the  boys and girls alike  utterly   stumped by the concept of a college weekend "Homecoming" and of course, since they don't know what it is, it must not be much.  Our little Jessa, again dismissive as she rolls her eyes in superiority:  " I don't  know.... people, like, dress up, and maybe go to a dance or something...maybe."  

A dance? Oh no!   Not THAT again,  or as Jessa...now THE lead interpreter ( ?) has to set us all straight based on her "personal conviction"  not to participate in dancing.  No Way!  NEVER!  "We have tons of fun in other ways.  We're not missing anything."  Heh-heh-heh. 

I never thought I'd so welcome the arrival of a college mascot but when Pistol Pete finally showed up and Ben told us he AND his father AND his mother actually went to a real, accredited American college right here in the USA,  I was so happy. So relieved!  From the grossly abnormal to the blessed normal!  Yes, it merited a celebration... heck yeh.....even a parade!  

Thank you Pistol Pete.  Thank  you!!!!!

Edited by Lindy Dear
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Lindy Dear said:

First----little Jessa,  here on earth it's important to understand that there are a lot of children.  Really!  It's true.    That's how we got here too!!!  We were born!   Can you believe it?  So, apart from some cloying  and perhaps delusional  tip to TV show ratings,   the overwhelming majority of earthlings don't give a fig if  what you're having is  a boy or a girl...  or whatever.  You're not really all THAT special.

But  you give a  a hint as to   your true identity when you reveal that in keeping this a secret (although we now all  know its a boy)   You speak for your entire clan: "We like to torture people."  Heh heh heh.

I know Jessa was just trying to be funny with the torture comment, but the poor thing is so swollen with self-importance she doesn't realize that not only do the viewers not give a damn if she's having a boy or girl, her own family could probably care less as well. Courtships and babies are old hat with this crowd. During every scene where there's a super duper special announcement, the majority of the kids are barely paying attention. They can't even muster fake enthusiasm for the cameras anymore. So Jessa acting like the world was on pins and needles until she revealed the sex of Seewald Spawn 2.0 was laughable on so many levels. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 14
10 hours ago, louannems said:

I just watched the show.  Everything has been covered for this super special, amazingly BORING show, but I'll throw in my two cents.

In Escape Room, someone read a clue as A Fish That's Vomiting.  I immediately thought of poor Spurgie's name.

At the front desk while Jessa was checking in for her ultrasound, THERE WAS NO CHECK IN!  I was an x-ray technologist for 33 years, and have checked in hundreds of patients.  There are always at least 2 identifiers.  Full name, last 4 of social security number (I worked at the VA hospital that still uses full social security numbers), date of birth, and how about an ID card, an insurance card, SOMETHING!!! Not just, are you Jessa and come on back.

The ultrasound exam room had a big Hobby Lobby FAITH sign on the wall.

Ben states that it is good to finally know the new baby's sex so they can get a room set up for the new baby.  What new room, Ben?  There are no more rooms in your house!

Jinger's talks of Jeremy's friends and "my family".  Proof that Jinger was never given the opportunity to develop friendships.

Jeremy, even the Duggars have stopped buttoning all the way up to their chins.  Why do you do it?  Are you mocking them?

At the dinner at TTH, I saw yet again aluminum pans filled with food.  Does that family ever break out a real serving platter and dishes?

Escape Room and Myan culture and SOTDRT and Duggers do not mix!

Was Jill wearing Derick's huge gray long sleeved tee shirt?  It was not becoming on her at all!  Especially for TV.

The TH golf talk about birdies, etc was pathetic and dull. So stupid!

Michelle's screeches during jewelry making made her sound so old! "We will be so sad!".

It was such a blessing playing golf, states Luis.

James and Luis had their golf shirt brand names sewn over with blank name tape.

Joy does not have pierced ears.

Jinge- The day was amazing and super special!

Derick's dad died when he was 18 and a sophomore in college.  He must have skipped a grade so he must be smart, at one time at least. He was playing a video game when his mom came to break the news of his dad's death. A normal activity for a young man, as is swimming in a real swim suit.

A few seconds of reenactment followed by horrid Talking Heads make me wonder how this show can even be listed under the reality genre.

The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills just did an escape room. Trophy wives must be smart. Because they figured it out. 

How did Ben see a "fish vomiting" in the lightbulb?  

Buttoning the top button is cool these days. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Evagirl said:

One thing I've noticed about the Duggar girls, they all sound alike when they laugh.  Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard any of the girls just burst out in peals of laughter.  Most of the time it's just "ha ha".  So weird.

I watch the Bates on UP and it's hard to believe these families are close.  The husbands all have REAL jobs.  They all seem to have outside interests.  The dating is strict, but not as strict as the Duggars.  Hugs are real hugs - none of that fake stuff.  And the kids really do love and respect their parents.  Gil and Kelly's love for their offspring is apparent as well.

I guess I stick with the Duggars because I started out with 16 and counting, so I want to see it through.  But it is so boring.  I always DVR the show.  I usually can get through a one hour show in 15 minutes.  I can't stand the idiotic questions the producers ask the kids!  The kids (all of them) sit there like Stepford kids of something.  Not an original thought among them.  They don't seem to have any interest outside of marriage and babies, and no desire to really learn anything about life outside Duggarville.  

Absolutely agree!  I so enjoy the Bates family.  They seem so real and not like little Duggar robots.

• Love 1
On 2/7/2017 at 1:50 AM, Sew Sumi said:

I think Jinger and Joy are going to fall more on the side of Jill. In these past few episodes, Jinger has definitely shown that she's a weak reed, and Joy? The more she speaks, the more I cringe. The girl is just not smart in any way, shape, or form. 

She's the one when she's around some of her future in-laws family, the ones that aren't totally fundy, gets dubbed "dumb as a box of rocks" 

• Love 2

I asked my homeschooled teens what a homecoming is and no one knew.  All bright kids attending college early and have jobs I didn't know that they didn't know!   : 0    Actually, 2 of 3 had never even heard of it. : 0 

The only difference is that my kids said "I don't really know. We were homeschooled and aren't familiar with that stuff" rather than  "duh" and some bizarre answer. 

I can assure you that they know plenty of other stuff though. Sometimes I wish they didn't.  ;) 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, louannems said:

They didn't attend an actual medical ultrasound facility.  They went to a boutique, strip mall, ultrasound-for-fun place.  These are becoming more popular and seem to be all the rage amongst fundies.  If you google prenatal ultrasound in Arkansas, you'll find links to a bunch of them with cutesy names like 'Womb with a View' or 'Sneak a Peek'.  The websites offer all kinds of 'packages' including party rooms for the gender reveal celebration afterwards.  Many of them include Biblical quotes on their websites to draw in the fundies, I suppose.

These places are strictly for entertainment, provide no medical information whatsoever and everyone who goes there signs a waiver.  No need for insurance or ID; they don't bill insurance; you pay cash or credit on the barrelhead, right there and then.  Since it seems like a lot of the fundies in Duggar circles have home or out of hospital births and get little prenatal care; its probably the only way to get an ultrasound.  Lords knows, with the huge families these people tend to have; there is enough business out there.

Regular medical ultrasound providers require an order from a licensed practitioner, need info for billing your insurance and are not going to allow a bunch of folks to watch the scan nor are they going to take requests or allowed repeated scans to see the genitalia if its not apparent at the first US..

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Normades said:

As my mother liked to say, "Many truths are said in jest."

Absolutely.

Jessa does take some pleasure out of making things rough for others...Not in a crazy sick way but you can see she enjoys to twist the knife just a bit! She liked being the bossy homeschooling teacher just a little too much!

I also think she likes the attention it brings her.  She is actually savvy.  Jim Bob's daughter!   

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Absolutely.

Jessa does take some pleasure out of making things rough for others...Not in a crazy sick way but you can see she enjoys to twist the knife just a bit! She liked being the bossy homeschooling teacher just a little too much!

I also think she likes the attention it brings her.  She is actually savvy.  Jim Bob's daughter!   

Jess would have made a great sorority girl.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, ariel said:

Jess would have made a great sorority girl.

She's got the mean girl part down pat as well as the smug entitlement some of them have.  Though many sororities are service organizations as well, but not for her twisted servant's heart.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Marigold said:

I asked my homeschooled teens what a homecoming is and no one knew.  All bright kids attending college early and have jobs I didn't know that they didn't know!   : 0    Actually, 2 of 3 had never even heard of it. : 0 

The only difference is that my kids said "I don't really know. We were homeschooled and aren't familiar with that stuff" rather than  "duh" and some bizarre answer. 

And herein lies my biggest issue with the Duggar kids being asked questions like, what is rigatoni?  What is homecoming?  What is a birdie? (all while the ba-DOOP-de-DOOP soundtrack plays behind them). If they are so damned proud of their upbringing, why not say what @Marigold stated in the bolded sentence above - "it wasn't part of our upbringing."  OWN IT, Duggars!  As much as I cringe for the many, many things they do not know, I'd have a trifle more respect if they simply owned up to the fact that there's a ton they don't know, because that's how their parents raised them...to not question, nor ask, nor research, nor expand their lives outside of the tiny bubble that JB and Michelle placed them in since birth.  

Let me be clear, I am not suggesting that Marigold's children aren't knowledgeable.  It's perfectly normal to say that you're not familiar with something...for instance, if someone asks me anything about any sport other than baseball, I'm going to say that I don't know.  The problem with the Duggar kids is that their scope of not knowing extends very far and very wide.  Instead of owning it, they sit there and make stupid guesses that make them appear vapid and clueless.  Is this what they want?  Do they somehow get to feel superior because of the things they don't know?  Are they in on the joke with the producers, or are they honestly that dense that they'd sit there and guess wrongly every time they're asked a question?  I don't understand.

• Love 7

Jeremy had Derick and Ben go with him to the golf course, but no Duggar boys went with them. I skip past the women side of the bachelorette party because lets face it, they are boring with a capital B!

Jill talking about Miss Cathy. Her having a lot of treatments and going back to work full time. Does she not approve of Miss Cathy working or maybe just a little jealous because Miss Cathy has been out in the real world and Jill has not without someone holding her hand for her. And Jill, you were not given the choice of attending college because mommy and daddy would not approve it. You were only given choices about careers which had to approve by daddy and Gothard and please stop pretending you are a certified professional midwife or what ever you like to call yourself. Yes, you are a wife and mommy because this is what is expected of you. Please do not get me wrong, I have nothing against it, but in her case, I have seen animals with better parenting skills than her.

Now on to Derick...He said he wants to be like his dad. Oh really...Did your dad quit his job to run to another country in order to pretend to save the heathen masses while expecting others to donate money to his somewhat phony adventure. Did he marry into a family who gave him a nice house, free babysitting, and a way to be a famewhore with his wife while telling others how to live their own life. I often wonder how his dad would feel about how his son turn out like this if he was still alive today.

Jessa, you are not the first woman to ever have a baby. You are not a special snowflake, so stop pretending to be one. You acted like you are on a secret government mission with your hiding the gender of your baby. Please for the love of Pistol Pete, stop acting like the world will end of you cannot keep your special, amazing, blessed, season of life secret.

And yes, I was hoping JB would have went with the guys to the golf course because I would have love for someone to accidently hit him in the head with a golf ball.

the absence of Duggar brothers while  Derick and Bin were allowed to go on the golf outing was probably because Bin and Derick also received a more secular education and Jeremy's friends may have tainted the Duggar brothers or made them wish to be free. Or maybe Boob was too cheap to pay for them to go and made them say they chose to do chores around the compound.

2 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

the absence of Duggar brothers while  Derick and Bin were allowed to go on the golf outing was probably because Bin and Derick also received a more secular education and Jeremy's friends may have tainted the Duggar brothers or made them wish to be free. Or maybe Boob was too cheap to pay for them to go and made them say they chose to do chores around the compound.

Maybe only married or engaged men are allowed to play golf? I'm sure TLC paid for the golf outing but Boob probably wants us to think the Duggar boys are way too busy working to attend the bachelor party events. JD was the only Duggar boy in the wedding party so Jeremy may have wanted to limit the number of real Duggars involved in the wedding 

Other than JD were any of the other brothers in the wedding? I thought it was odd JD wasn't there, yet he didn't do the hang gliding with Ben, Derick and JB either when they went on a future-son-in-law outing.

I think Jessa's personal conviction statement was an interwebz FU, as in it is not a Gothard teaching that they're following, it's a Duggar conviction.

2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Do they somehow get to feel superior because of the things they don't know?  Are they in on the joke with the producers, or are they honestly that dense that they'd sit there and guess wrongly every time they're asked a question?  I don't understand.

There are some people who feel they are superior if they claim not to know much about popular culture.  The ones I've encountered have been the more intellectual types, not the anti-intellectuals ones like the Duggars.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Other than JD were any of the other brothers in the wedding? I thought it was odd JD wasn't there, yet he didn't do the hang gliding with Ben, Derick and JB either when they went on a future-son-in-law outing.

I think Jessa's personal conviction statement was an interwebz FU, as in it is not a Gothard teaching that they're following, it's a Duggar conviction.

My issue is how she worded it as a "personal conviction," then said MY FAMILY doesn't dance. How is that "personal?" If YOU believe it, say so! I hate the contradiction that demonstrates the indoctrination these kidults were subjected to; 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

And herein lies my biggest issue with the Duggar kids being asked questions like, what is rigatoni?  What is homecoming?  What is a birdie? (all while the ba-DOOP-de-DOOP soundtrack plays behind them). If they are so damned proud of their upbringing, why not say what @Marigold stated in the bolded sentence above - "it wasn't part of our upbringing."  OWN IT, Duggars!  As much as I cringe for the many, many things they do not know, I'd have a trifle more respect if they simply owned up to the fact that there's a ton they don't know, because that's how their parents raised them...to not question, nor ask, nor research, nor expand their lives outside of the tiny bubble that JB and Michelle placed them in since birth.  

Let me be clear, I am not suggesting that Marigold's children aren't knowledgeable.  It's perfectly normal to say that you're not familiar with something...for instance, if someone asks me anything about any sport other than baseball, I'm going to say that I don't know.  The problem with the Duggar kids is that their scope of not knowing extends very far and very wide.  Instead of owning it, they sit there and make stupid guesses that make them appear vapid and clueless.  Is this what they want?  Do they somehow get to feel superior because of the things they don't know?  Are they in on the joke with the producers, or are they honestly that dense that they'd sit there and guess wrongly every time they're asked a question?  I don't understand.

I don't get why their own station, which went out of the way to woo and keep the Duggars, goes out of their way to embarrass them with these questions.  Seriously, is TLC trying to say, "Hey look how stupid this kids are?"

• Love 5
1 hour ago, flyingdi said:

I don't get why their own station, which went out of the way to woo and keep the Duggars, goes out of their way to embarrass them with these questions.  Seriously, is TLC trying to say, "Hey look how stupid this kids are?"

I think it's a twofer; TLC keeps both the leghumpers and snarkers watching and the Duggars get to shine their backwoods and barefoot stars.

• Love 6