Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E10: Platform Power

For some reason VH1 has decided not to repeat the new episodes anymore. Damn. When I didn't feel like staying awake to watch the 10 pm showing on Directv Now I could catch it the next night at 8. Directv Now doesn't have cloud dvr, 72 hour rewind or on demand episodes, and Playstation Vue has cloud dvr, on demand and rewind but no VH1. Amazon Video doesn't have Season Passes for it either. I wonder why there's such restricted access to it, and how bad the ratings are.

On 2/6/2017 at 3:48 PM, NeenerNeener said:

For some reason VH1 has decided not to repeat the new episodes anymore. Damn. When I didn't feel like staying awake to watch the 10 pm showing on Directv Now I could catch it the next night at 8. Directv Now doesn't have cloud dvr, 72 hour rewind or on demand episodes, and Playstation Vue has cloud dvr, on demand and rewind but no VH1. Amazon Video doesn't have Season Passes for it either. I wonder why there's such restricted access to it, and how bad the ratings are.

Did it come on yesterday, I could have sworn they were changing the show to wednesdays?

• Love 1
On 2/6/2017 at 3:48 PM, NeenerNeener said:

17 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Did it come on yesterday, I could have sworn they were changing the show to wednesdays?

This episode airs tomorrow night.

• Love 1

I know it changed last week. They killed off any repeats after the first run when they moved it, though, which is giving me agita. If they did reruns on the weekend it would be great, but there wasn't anything but first runs in the schedule for the next 3 weeks. Makes me think the ratings are pretty bad.

RTV Games is still expecting 

Spoiler

Paige

to go home tonight because she's not in any "pho oh"s from this episode on. If it comes to pass it will be totally undeserved.

What in the revisionist history hell?

are the judges really going to pretend that they didn't have issues with Coryanne for the first 3-4 weeks of the show and how her having a super model mother should have prepared her better? How she had a single good photo and she's been coasting at the bottom this whole time, while Paige has won challenges and consistently been at the top bunch? Are we also going to pretend that there are other models who never change thei facial expression in photos (looking at you Courtney)

I also do not get the love for Tatiana. That Tyra pic should have sent her home. That was some awful caught in the headlights, bad pose garbage right there. 

• Love 21

I completely agree. I think it's unfair that Paige was eliminated and it was really strange to me that all of a sudden the judges had a problem with her photos when there was no mention of that before. I think Coryanne should've gone home instead and Tatiana definitely could've been eliminated too based on that weak photo.

At least I still have India to root for. She looked adorable as Katy Perry. Her eyes are her best feature in my opinion.

• Love 14

I'm regretting watching this show again. I stopped watching a long time ago because it started to suck and I hated Tyra. I thought I'd give this version a chance. 

How could they send Paige home? She's never been in bottom two, has had best pictures. I don't understand how Courtney is still there. I also don't like when they bring back voted off people (Tash). 

I didn't watch the first several episodes. I wish they would rerun them on the weekends, but like some of you have speculated maybe the ratings haven't been good. 

• Love 1

Wowza. Poor Paige. It certainly wasn't her strongest week, but what on earth has CoryAnne done that's in any way useful or impressive? I guess she was good in the supermarket shoot, but everything else has been pretty blah.

Rock on, India. I hope she takes the whole thing. I think it speaks volumes that she's putting out top photos, top videos, AND the judges all love her as a person too.

• Love 13

Seriously, though...if India doesn't win, this whole thing will be a travesty.

Paige deserved better, as she just got placed into a box then sent packing for something she hasn't even been critiqued on up to this point.

Most of the picks for impersonation were pretty good, but the styling and quality of the outfits was...not impressive.

Edited by MKL122788
  • Love 9

I knew Paige was going when she got 10x as much screen time as anyone else, but ugh.  First of all, I hate the eliminated contestants being brought back, so IMO Tash shouldn't even be there.  Coryanne, Tatianna, and Courtney had photos every bit as bad as Paige's, and I'd rather have seen any one of them go.  Count me among those who doesn't see what's so amazing about Tatianna.  At least India is doing well...

Edited by Marmiarmo
Autocorrect failure.
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

I'm regretting watching this show again. I stopped watching a long time ago because it started to suck and I hated Tyra. I thought I'd give this version a chance. 

How could they send Paige home? She's never been in bottom two, has had best pictures. I don't understand how Courtney is still there. I also don't like when they bring back voted off people (Tash). 

I didn't watch the first several episodes. I wish they would rerun them on the weekends, but like some of you have speculated maybe the ratings haven't been good. 

They got rid of Paige because this show is never really a meritocracy, and looks and god-given stats usually overtake performance. The judges likely didn’t think Paige was pretty enough to be a top model, especially compared to fellow blond Courtney who is far less talented but far more striking. and used their first available chance to boot her so they can keep their favorites.

• Love 2

So Rita Ora can say "phoTo" when she chooses.  Makes me really hate her more for the "pho-oes."

Drew, tell the truth and shame the devil.  That Tyra "hair" on Tatiana looked wiggy, regardless of the angle.  That had to be some sneaky show stylist throwing shade Ms. Banks' way.  And I love it. 

Those were some struggle pictures.  I didn't like any except India 's.  The Grace Jones one?  All I could hear was Miss Jay slamming the one-leg-bent-hand-behind-my-head pose.

Courtney?  Touching the wrong bitch's ice cream can get you cut.  Literally.

How can you make Beyonce boring??  Just ask Coreyanne!

ETA:

Just read the recap and Alex needs to get out of my head!  We said almost the exact same thing about the stylists shading Tyra.  Ha!

Edited by absolutqt
Adding more stuff
  • Love 3

Paige got the raw end of the deal with this. There were several challenges that she should have won and she got jacked on those, too. I've seen nothing in Coryanne to make them choose her over Paige. The only thing I can figure is that they already know who the winner is and the rest they're just picking off at random. 

By the way, I was only half watching there for awhile. I heard them say "Beyonce." Later, when I looked up and saw Tatiana, during the whole session I thought she was meant to be her. I was thinking, man, she's a terrible Beyonce until I found out she was meant to be Tyra. She was an even worse Tyra. 

Blondie has it out for Courtney. He's not going to like a thing she does. 

• Love 7

Paige's cut was ridiculous. She did try to go nuts as Britney then Drew cuts her off (unlike Tash with Tina Turner). Plus, she looked more like Kylie Minogue. 

I think I have to stop watching... they all seem like limp dolls, the challenges are snoozefests and repetitive, the storylines are too contrived, and Rita Ora grates on the nerves.

• Love 5

I've been watching this show since the Cycle 1 premiere on UPN back in the day and I don't think the show has ever looked as low budget as it has this season. I've got to give it to Tyra, she knew how to produce a photoshoot on the cheap in Cycles 1 & 2 before she got the Covergirl budget. I mention that because how incredibly basic and uninspired the shoots have been besides the grocery store. And the photos aren't at all good which makes it all the worse.

I don't understand why they had Cody do Grace Jones and Tash do Tina Turner. From a styling perspective, it doesn't make sense at all. One could have easily added a little length on top of Tash's hair (Lupita Nyong'o does this all the time) and shape up the sides and spray the blond black and it would have looked much more realistic and high end. Instead, they give Cody-- who has thin looking tracks on her head-- a hideous, an absolutely hideous wig. A wig they couldn't even bother to trim and shape. And Tash's Tina Turner styling was no better. They had a Break Every Rule wig which gave Rum Tum Tugger and an outfit from I don't know where and not nearly enough leg.

And Tatiana. I detected shade in the styling, I did, but to have the red carpet as the setting complete with a red velvet barrier? They could have chosen a more iconic Tyra look than that. How hard is to find a red with pink polka dot swimsuit? Or if they were going to go with red carpet that hideous purple dress she wore to the Oscars. They could have given Tatiana a black tube top and a stool to stand and hunch over on and done an ode to "Be quiet, Tiffany" with the same wig.

I could go on, but I'll stop there. I'll offer that the problem I seemed to have were that some of the looks seemed "inspired by" and others were trying to be replicas and I wish the styling was more consistent throughout.

As far as elimination, I don't understand why they're holding onto Coryanne. Paige was much more consistent. The judging has confused me a bit this cycle.

• Love 6

Paige is gone while Courtney and Tash are still around.  Yeah.  That's totally fair.

I don't much mind Coryanne and Tatiana still being here since they've actually had strong performances before this week.  But there's no way Courtney should still be around.

• Love 2

I actually think Courtney is a stronger model than Tatiana or Coryanne. But I just like her look, I guess.

For the challenge, I preferred the losing team's. I understand why they lost because Tash's "it's his lucky day" is not in line with the message. But I disagree about the criticism of them being too smiley. You don't need to be "angry" to get your message across.

Poor India's dry as hay hair. It's a mess. She's lucky she is still cute.

I get why Paige went home. In terms of faces, she has the least striking face left in the competition.

Coryanne had her butt to the camera, but she looked like she was just standing there. Where's the tooch, girl? Tyra would be appalled. And these girls need to be reminded to model H-to-T. Most of them were limp noodles.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Michel said:

Paige is gone while Courtney and Tash are still around.  Yeah.  That's totally fair.

I don't much mind Coryanne and Tatiana still being here since they've actually had strong performances before this week.  But there's no way Courtney should still be around.

Courtney's body of work has been much stronger than Coryanne's.  Coryanne has literally only had one good picture throughout the entire competition, and even that one was because of the dress, not because of her modeling ability.

• Love 10

Courtney looks exactly like Snejana Onopka, ,which is a plus for her that the judges can't resist.  She's extremely lucky in that vein.  I'm sure she'll be a successful model.  Even though her attitude is the worst.

Coryanne is just so extremely blank - zero emotions in her photos, and in her actual life - but they like her look and her mother so much I guess they just keep propping her.

Poor Paige, that came so extremely out of nowhere, but at least I'm comforted by the fact that everyone here is in agreement.

Tatiana gets W O R S E F O T O this week.  By far.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Was Coryanne's "supermodel" mom an old roommate of Tyra or something? How is she still there. That is the least Beyoncé picture imaginable. WOW.

I feel like we are getting strong "now that Tash is back Cory slides bawards" storyline and I do not want to watch it. Ugh.

Courtney has a stunning face but she just can not model! And I've seen her face before so she should go too.

Paige looked more like Lindsey Lohan. haha, but she's still better than Coryanne or Courtney so I am not happy that she is gone.

Still love India.

But...Slut Walk? Really? What a horrible, terrible, dreadful name for something that is supposed to be empowering. I get the whole idea of embracing an insulting name and turning it on it's head, but calling a bunch of women marching a Slut Walk is just inviting men to keep calling women sluts and saying "hey, you're proud of being a slut" and in no way does it sound like something meant to end rape. There is absolutely nothing empowering about the word slut. As usually, both PSAs sucked. lol

And is it just me or have we had less modelling this season than ever before? I just can't remember there being that many real photoshoots. I don't count "social media" photoshoots. IDK, it just doesn't feel like a modelling show anymore, and the modelling was the part I liked.

• Love 14
55 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

But...Slut Walk? Really? What a horrible, terrible, dreadful name for something that is supposed to be empowering. I get the whole idea of embracing an insulting name and turning it on it's head, but calling a bunch of women marching a Slut Walk is just inviting men to keep calling women sluts and saying "hey, you're proud of being a slut" and in no way does it sound like something meant to end rape. There is absolutely nothing empowering about the word slut. As usually, both PSAs sucked. 

Actually, they are trying to co-op the word based on advice on how to avoid rape:  a law enforcement professional said one method was to "not dress like a slut".  So they want to illustrate that women should be able to dress how the hell ever they want to dress and not be at risk.  (And also because rape is about power more than sex.  Who whole... she was dressing too sexy and asked for it lie.)

• Love 11

I get that that is what they are going for, I just find it an unfortunate name. Admittedly I am not a fan of co-opting derogatory terms because I think the message is lost on the ones who should be hearing it the most.

I do think that the foursome did a better job. IDK why the robotic threesome won other than, they were angry. I liked the happier PSA better because they seemed more pro-active and less reactionary which I find more empowering.

And OMG I can't stand Courtney. She's not a villain or anything like that, she's just so freaking annoying. When her name is called at judging (and I do miss them getting their actual photos) she just does this exaggerated "It's about time you called my name" thing that might not be what she is even thinking, but it comes across so bitchy. She just rubs me the wrong way constantly. I think she's only there still because she was born very physically lucky. That face screams model. While I think someone like Tatiana is better at actual modelling, moving her body, finding the light, looking strong and fierce, I don't think she has a typical model look.

• Love 2

Paige going may have been confusing but it wasn't totally unexpected.  The judges have pretty much denied her at least two FCOs and placed her in the middle when she should have been called higher.  She's never been a favorite.

Tati and Cory did have worse photos and Courtney was her usual bratty self at the challenge but Paige was always on borrowed time.

While I can sort of see why the keep Courtney (her face) I'm not getting the love for Tati or Cory at this point.

The styling for the photos was low budget.  I also agree that Cody's Grace Jones was pitiful.

So right now, India for the win which isn't saying a lot.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 4
59 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

The styling for the photos was low budget. 

I agree. Very much so, and it showed. I did like India's photo, in part probably because it was one of the only ones (maybe THE only) that didn't radiate 'cheap ANTM shoot'.

• Love 7

I don't get the Tatiana love. So she has her own skin care line. Which I've never heard of. Is it successful? More information before I decide she's a boss, please. Also, that "homage" to Tyra was terrible. It's like she's never heard of or seen Tyra before. I call bullshit on her being called out safe before either Coryanne OR Paige.

I don't care if Coryanne's mom was a supermodel. That doesn't automatically make her a good model. She's a beautiful girl, but definitely not a model. Obviously they were just looking for the perfect time to send Paige home and they got it, Paige should have ignored the podium and award and just done some posing. I guess she smiles too much, but I like her sunny nature. There's a place for that in modelling, and not just for catalog. Especially since there is virtually no catalog modelling left now.

Tash and Cody: too old. I like them okay, but for some reason, I just realized they are 26. And then they looked it to me after that realization. That's retirement age, almost, in model years. (Sadly)

Team India all the way, but yeah, that's damning with faint praise. She and Courtney have my favourite looks, but this show is just a shell of its former self and that includes the whackadoodle seasons. Okay, which was all of them. I would say maybe it will just end, but noticed they are or were recruiting using a gmail account (?) for next cycle.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 4

OMG.... Amber Rose and her Slutwalk moron followers can all just f*** off and stay f***ed off forever from my TV screen.  Yes, Amber, dressing like a clown slut from hell, sucking on a lollipop, and calling yourselves sluts is just the way to gain respect and equality.  Idiot.

Bye Paige.  You are a great model, so obviously you deserved to be sent home.  While shitty models like CoryAnne and the ugly sisters are still there.  Don't worry... you'll actually have a career, unlike them.  The only good model left is India, so I'm sure she'll be going home next week. 

• Love 10
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Courtney's body of work has been much stronger than Coryanne's.  Coryanne has literally only had one good picture throughout the entire competition, and even that one was because of the dress, not because of her modeling ability.

Given Courtney's multiple trips to the bottom, I struggle to see how that makes her body of work "much stronger" than Coryanne's.  At least Coryanne's had higher callouts that Courtney.

• Love 3

Are they going to get a change of location this year? I'm pretty sure this show is done so on the cheap now that going overseas is out of the question, but they could at least go to New York or LA with the few remaining girls just to maintain the tradition.

Paige was so completely not understanding the direction she was getting during her "Brittany Spears" tribute that I'm starting to wonder if they edited Drew's portion after the shoot to make it seem like he was telling her the exact opposite of what she did. We saw him asking for edgy and/or somewhat bored Brittany after 20+ wins and she was giving him beaming and joyful Brittany. We know she can do edgy, though, because she did it in the party photo shoot at the beginning of the season. 

There's been a shocking lack of "Fierce" this season, IMHO.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

Really? They downplayed it enough that I'd totally forgotten. In most of the Tyra seasons they made a big deal of the location.

I may just be noticing it more because I lived there until recently. I might have mixed it up with something else I watched recently, but I think last episode there was a shot of subway cars. So to me, that's screaming "NYC", but I'm sure things like that aren't as obvious to others.

I can't take Amber Rose seriously in those glasses.  

I wonder why Lady Gaga didn't make the list of icons.  I love me some Britney Spears, but I don't exactly see her as a "lady boss" or whatever.

I still get miffed everytime they tell the girls to be "lady bosses,"  a real "lady boss" doesn't need to be told she has to be one, she just is.

• Love 10
17 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Actually, they are trying to co-op the word based on advice on how to avoid rape:  a law enforcement professional said one method was to "not dress like a slut".  So they want to illustrate that women should be able to dress how the hell ever they want to dress and not be at risk.  (And also because rape is about power more than sex.  Who whole... she was dressing too sexy and asked for it lie.)

See now, I thought something called "slut walk" would be about owning your sexuality since women are called "sluts" for wanting sex and men are called "studs."  Women have to do the "walk of shame" while men get high fived.  So I guess I wasn't paying enough attention :(

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Michel said:

Given Courtney's multiple trips to the bottom, I struggle to see how that makes her body of work "much stronger" than Coryanne's.  At least Coryanne's had higher callouts that Courtney.

Coryanne's been in the bottom multiple times as well. three times to Courtney's two times.  They've both had two first call outs.  Courtney has placed higher than Coryanne 5 times and Coryanne has placed higher than Courtney 5 times.  So they're pretty even as far as the judges are concerned.  IMO Courtney's photos overall have been better.  I've only liked one of Coryanne's photos, the grocery store one, and that was due to her having the easiest dress to work with, not due to her modeling ability.  (The less said about either's performances in the videos, the better; they both sucked.)  So yes, I think Courtney is a better model than Coryanne, although some of that is simply due to the fluke of having a more striking face.

But really, neither of them are that great.  I think India is a much stronger model, as was the wrongly eliminated Paige, and even occasionally Cody.  Tatiana has the best walk, by far, but her pictures have been highly inconsistent.

Edited by proserpina65
19 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

I don't care if Coryanne's mom was a supermodel. That doesn't automatically make her a good model. She's a beautiful girl, but definitely not a model. Obviously they were just looking for the perfect time to send Paige home and they got it, Paige should have ignored the podium and award and just done some posing. I guess she smiles too much, but I like her sunny nature. There's a place for that in modelling, and not just for catalog. Especially since there is virtually no catalog modelling left now.

Based on the trampoline challenge, Paige could possibly work in fitness modeling.  She did very well then.

• Love 5

Amber Rose couldn't bother taking off her ridiculous sunglasses the entire time? Ok then

I'm sad Paige is gone. She was definitely the nicest one in the house. The judges must be seeing things I'm not because I thought the Tina Turner pic was awful. I cannot remember now if that was Tash or Cody.

Still rooting for India to take it home.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, MaggieG said:

The judges must be seeing things I'm not because I thought the Tina Turner pic was awful.

Right?  That was not "ugly - pretty". It was straight-up ugly.   But the twin drama must go on!  

I agree with prosperpina65 who thought poor Paige could be a fitness model. That seems more likely than high-fashion.  She's just too wholesome looking.  Not that wholesome is necessarily bad.  Laura from the short cycle was as wholesome as they come but she could bring it with the makeup and drama and editorial shots.  I just didn't get that from Paige.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Based on the trampoline challenge, Paige could possibly work in fitness modeling.  She did very well then.

If you listen to Paige's interview (posted in the contestants thread) she said she wants to do more with dance, go back to school and become a theater arts teacher working with middle school or high schoolers and work on a non-profit as well as modeling.  So I wouldn't feel too bad about her getting the boot.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, milkyaqua said:

If you listen to Paige's interview (posted in the contestants thread) she said she wants to do more with dance, go back to school and become a theater arts teacher working with middle school or high schoolers and work on a non-profit as well as modeling.  So I wouldn't feel too bad about her getting the boot.

Sounds like she's got ambitions, so good for her.  Glad to hear that she has plans for life which don't require winning a reality show.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

It's funny that she's interested in theater arts and dance because in their fashion video challenge Paige looked so great moving. I know the judges loved India, but Paige gave personality. As the leader of the dance group, she was sometimes cocky, dismissive, and having fun. India was just model face, model face, model face.

This icons shoot looked cheap and was poorly thought out. Some of their lady boss icons like Tyra, Beyonce, and Britney are not at all known for their personal style. Hell, even someone like Mariah is known for her ridiculous modern Mae West drag. It looks terrible, but it's her signature. Lady Gaga, Cher, Barbra, and Rhythm Nation Janet Jackson would have been better choices.

• Love 6

Sigh. I miss the simple days before when at least basic modeling principles and quality photographs were a priority to someone. I suspect the credible photographers who offered that wouldn't be caught anywhere near this mess. I sat through a lot of Tyra's extra silliness to get to that small reward. 

Edited by RealityCowgirl
little word mean a lot
  • Love 6