Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Super Bowl LI: The Live Chat Topic

6 minutes ago, twoods said:

Since I may banning post-game show from this house, I could only imagine how gutted the Falcons are. What a waste of Julio's fantastic catches. I'm guessing the defense and the horrible offensive play calling by the coaches is what is being blamed.

Kyle Shanahan is getting a lot of blame for the loss (due to his play calling in the fourth quarter) on places like Twitter.

• Like 1

That's nice of Bridget to let her son be part of the festivities considering how shitty Tommy did her.

She was an aging actress with limited talent who saw her claim to any relevance in the world slipping and forgot to take her pill. I wonder if she'll teach her brat to beware of deceitful skanks like herself when he's old enough. 

2 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

Kyle Shanahan is getting a lot of blame for the loss (due to his play calling in the fourth quarter) on places like Twitter.

You know we are all going to hear how he was "distracted" by the knowledge he is taking over the 49ers.   His focus was on his future not this game.

Nope, they got out thought by the best in the business.   You can hate Belichek all you want, but he wins games.   If you had a chance for him to coach your team you would take it.   

• Like 5

Alabama let Whatshisface go and they lost the title game.  Shanahan stayed to the bitter end and they lost the title game.  Apparently there is no right answer.

Skip Bayless tweeted at quarter to eight that the Falcons were SB champs so we should have all seen the loss coming.

You're right. I was happy at 28-5 but knew it wasn't over because of that coach. I hate him, but he's great at his job. I mean when they were down by 16 I knew those fuckers would get the TD and two point conversion every single time. There wasn't any guessing- he wins games and is ready for anything. 

Edited by twoods

Shanahan had a hell of a game plan that had the Pats flummoxed for three quarters. There were times where he needed to opt for boring choices that would eat clock and/or keep them in field goal range. In any case, he's onto the worst head coaching vacancy in football and is unlikely to be making decisions in the playoffs for years. 

Okay, so we're in agreement that, for everyone except New England fans, this is officially the absolute worst day in the history of sports ever?

No, that honor goes to my last birthday, June 19th, 2016. The day that Dubs finished off the biggest choke in NBA history. 

June 19, 2016 was the greatest sports day in my life. 

The Braves losing the 1996 World Series to the Yankees was one of worst sports moments in my life. Its still going to take more than an aspirin to get rid of this headache. The Cavaliers losing to those Warriors in 2015 was just as bad.

I don't know who is going to the Super Bowl next year (hopefully not the Cowboys), but I'm pretty certain that the Falcons will not be back there next season. That was an absolute choke of epic proportions.

Edited by Magog

3 minutes ago, Magog said:

June 19, 2016 was the greatest sports day in my life. 

I don't know who is going to the Super Bowl next year (hopefully not the Cowboys), but I'm pretty certain that the Falcons will not be back there next season. That was an absolute choke of epic proportions.

I agree, the Panthers weren't the same this season after least year's Superbowl disaster.

• Like 1

DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES? Goodness, I have no voice left. Holy shit.

Best.Super.Bowl.Ever. I don't think it was as much about the Falcons choking as it was the Patriots STOPPING choking, because they didn't just shoot themselves in the fucking foot in the first half, they hacked their feet off with a machete early on. Thankfully, they stopped that shit and started playing their game, and....

YES.

• Like 14

I have faith that the Falcons will come back better than the Panthers did.   That loss really messed with Newton mentally.   From his sulking out of the post game press conference right through this season.   It was like he couldn't believe he could lose.    Wherease the Falcons seem to be "we lost to a really good team it happens.   Back to work."  It was a game for the Falcons not a validation of them as people.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, mojoween said:

They can be at the next table over because McMahon and Favre got Tony Eason, I think? and some other guy.  Eli is the only SB Brady-slayer in the league.

And while Eli often puzzles and infuriates me, I will always love him for that.

Right, but those are still the QB's that beat the Patriots.  I still think that SB XX wouldn't have been nearly as embarrassing if the Pats had started Grogan instead of Eason. And @ganesh is right that Bledsoe was the QB in the game against Green Bay.

46 minutes ago, twoods said:

I mean when they were down by 16 I knew those fuckers would get the TD and two point conversion every single time.

lol. Sometimes you just have feelings about how games are going to go. And sometimes unfortunately the moment becomes too big for teams who haven't been there before/been there in a while. And they can't pull out the win. I think that is what happened with OKC last year in the NBA western conference finals and I think that is what happened with Atlanta tonight. And this type of thing can help other teams dominate over and over again in sports.

Hopefully the Patriots will not be back in the Super Bowl again next year and will be replaced by a team like Oakland. Or maybe KC if they can ever take the next step, or the Texans if they can find a legitimate QB,etc...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I have faith that the Falcons will come back better than the Panthers did.   That loss really messed with Newton mentally.   From his sulking out of the post game press conference right through this season.   It was like he couldn't believe he could lose.    Wherease the Falcons seem to be "we lost to a really good team it happens.   Back to work."  It was a game for the Falcons not a validation of them as people.  

I don't know, I think this might mess with them more because at half time they had this. They went into halftime owning and practically done. It'll be a long off season of going over mentally all they did wrong to give the game away like they did. It could mess with them more than it did with Cam.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

I still think that SB XX wouldn't have been nearly as embarrassing if the Pats had started Grogan instead of Eason.

I was little, but I remember the local media being incredulous that Eason was starting. I don't think the Pats would have won, but it wouldn't have been a slaughter. 

9 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

I mean when they were down by 16 I knew those fuckers would get the TD and two point conversion every single time.

Then don't throw on 3rd and 3 when you're up over 14 points and keep the clock running, or burn your last time out on a catch at midfield. Good teams put the game away.

• Like 1

At least Cam Newton found players he could beat. Bright side, right?

I'm not saying that driving 75 yards is easy. But doesn't it suck that Atlanta never got the ball in overtime? That they basically went the way of the Steelers(?) at Tim Tebow's hands? Then again, they blew a 25-point lead. Maybe they didn't deserve the ball.

Saw the full Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 commercial. So good. "Only he didn't use 'frickin'."

ETA: Does this count as an upset? I figure 18-1 would be at the top, followed by Super Bowl III, because the Jets can never have first place in anything.

Tom Brady has said that he believes someone stole his Super Bowl Jersey tonight. He said he left it in the locker room but couldn't find it after him and teammates searched for it. 

1 minute ago, Jx223 said:

Tom Brady has said that he believes someone stole his Super Bowl Jersey tonight. He said he left it in the locker room but couldn't find it after him and teammates searched for it. 

Speaking of that perhaps Kraft can get Trump to get Putin to return the ring Putin stole.

• Like 3

Well that Edelman reception goes down as probably the greatest most incredible catch in Super Bowl history, simply because with the naked eye at first glance it didn't even look like a completion, LOL.  

Fuck, forget Super Bowl, greatest catch ever.

When Julio Jones made that sweet sideline catch in the 4th Quarter with a centimeter to spare I thought the Falcons were on the verge of icing the game away, but that sack and penalty pushed them back 23 yards.  That is going to haunt them all off season.

Sure the Falcons made mistakes in the second half but fuck it wasn't as if the Pats didn't give away points in the first half to dig themselves in the hole to begin with.

That drive from his own 9 yard to tie the game for Brady, how can anything be any sweeter for him?  Pats have that fifth ring, and it certainly doesn't look like Brady is going to pull a Manning and announce his retirement.  Of course we can't predict but I could see the Pats still being contenders the next year years, to the chagrin of the haters...

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm not saying that driving 75 yards is easy. But doesn't it suck that Atlanta never got the ball in overtime?

Then hold the Pats to a field goal. You had 75 yards to make a stop.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Then hold the Pats to a field goal. You had 75 yards to make a stop.

I don't know where that stellar defense from the first three quarters went. They either stopped playing or got tired from being so amped up. It was depressing to see, especially after how they kept Brady on his toes in the beginning. I wish we saw a few blitzes in the fourth quarter, or a damn STOP. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, twoods said:

I don't know where that stellar defense from the first three quarters went. They either stopped playing or got tired from being so amped up. It was depressing to see, especially after how they kept Brady on his toes in the beginning. I wish we saw a few blitzes in the fourth quarter, or a damn STOP. 

I think that the Falcons defense became tired. There were people that commented that they felt they were gassed including Martellus Bennett. He said on NFL Prime that he thought  they were gassed and that he had felt that the Patriots could get back into the game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, twoods said:

They either stopped playing or got tired from being so amped up. 

I think they shot their wad in the first half, and then the offensive management in the second half just blew them out. 

22 minutes ago, twoods said:

I think they ran out of steam. It's like they were playing on a massive adrenaline rush during the first three quarters and then finally hit the wall in the fourth. Plus I think there were a lot of nerves. Nobody wants to be that asshole who commits a game losing penalty, so they may have been a little tentative as well.

• Like 2

The Patriots ran 93 plays and utterly dominated time of possession 40 minutes to 23 (!!!). That's going to exhaust any defense; Atlanta was just gassed by the game's end. And I do think they expended a LOT of emotional energy in the first half, and so had zero reserves left by the time the 4th rolled around.

That's one place I think the Pats' experience showed up--Belichick and Brady both spoke earlier in the week about players needing to pace themselves because the Super Bowl is always a longer-than-usual game. Also fwiw, there is certainly an element of homerism, but Pats legend Troy Brown said on some postgame interview that he thought the Falcons were notably fatigued by the end of the game and that the Pats seemed better conditioned as a team.

Plus, the Pats hacked their feet off with a machete in the first half, between the two turnovers and at LEAST 5 drops from the wideouts. I'm not taking anything away from Atlanta's defense in the first 3 quarters, because they definitely played well and made Brady uncomfortable--but the Pats also made it easy for them early on, and then STOPPED making it easy in the 4th. A not-insubstantial part of the turnaround was the Pats just ceasing the stupid self-inflicted wounds.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Like 4

Well the Falcons played like they always played: aggressive and balls out passing ...safe, conservative "smart" running the ball  was boring I guess.

RUN.The. Ball. When on the 20 yard line.  Run.the.ball.   It isn't sexy and since they didn't need to do it all postseason it bit them them in the ass.

I agree that their defense was gassed.  Even in the first half New England's offense had far more time of possession.

• Like 1

Before the thread shuts down . . . "You know . . ." "No, Jerry." "Thing may have been different." "No, Jerry." "I'm sayin' my team could've whupped those boys through four quarters. Dang you, Dez!" "We know you're a Hall of Famer now, but you are full of shit."

Nice chatting with you guys!

ETA: Just read this. I know, it's "Dak."

• Like 1