Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E11: Adiós Charleston, Hello James Beard

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:37 PM, chiaros said:

However, Shirley, on this show at least, keeps harping on it and basically always drags her family into the picture on why she made a dish.

Maybe next she should go on "Food Network Star," where they almost require that every dish be accompanied by a heart-warming family story.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:42 AM, RealReality said:

Sylva said the same thing about his father, so it may be more than just Asian immigrants.  I could see where my parents might have thought the same thing when they first came to the US, because the food in their country is amazing, but there aren't many high end chefs -- so they would have seen it as something that wasn't very prestigious.

I've heard many Top Chef contestants from China and India, among other countries, say their parents were not happy they chose a culinary career, rather than going into something like medicine or engineering. The attitude is, "we didn't emigrate to the US and work hard all those years so you could end up a cook." The families seem to be particularly hard on women who become chefs.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:03 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

Wait! Brooke can still make it to Mexico through LCK? And here I was ready to yield on the "fix" thang..... 

I don't know yet who won LCK. But if it's Brooke, and if I were cynical enough to believe that the entire season is scripted, what better story line could you have than Brooke emerging from LCK to win the title? Poetic justice and payback for when she lost in the final to LCK winner Kristen.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6

I'm Asian (Taiwanese)-American and I absolutely understand where a Shirley or Sheldon comes from in their passion for the food they grew up with.  Taiwanese food isn't something you can find in mainstream America, so I associate it very strongly with "home", cuz that's the only place I got to eat it.  I can't cook my way out of a ramen package, but if I could, I would very much love to be able to stitch some of the food experiences from my background with something more ubiquitous to the average American; it would be a way to put "myself" into a new dish.  Maybe they're fooling me and they are cynically using their heritage to win a cooking competition, but my personal sense is that it feels genuine and I have no problem with it.  Plus both their dishes looked super yummy.

I would love to see Sheldon win this.  Is it a fix?  I don't know, but I'm okay with a talented likable person winning.

Edited by Mooncake76
  • Love 18

Reminder: You are allowed to disagree with each other civilly, however that does not mean "calling them out" or attacking them.  If you feel someone is being uncivil, aka breaking our "golden rule", then report and ignore it.  If you don't know that rule, I suggest you follow the link and read.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mooncake76 said:

I'm Asian (Taiwanese)-American and I absolutely understand where a Shirley or Sheldon comes from in their passion for the food they grew up with.  Taiwanese food isn't something you can find in mainstream America, so I associate it very strongly with "home", cuz that's the only place I got to eat it.

We have an "International District" here in Seattle, and there are several Taiwanese restaurants. Also restaurants with food from Hong Kong. It's been an education for me to learn just how many different cuisines there are under the umbrella of what most Americans generically call "Chinese food."

I love Malaysian food, which is like a synthesis of the food from a number of different Asian cultures. As is Filipino food, which also has Spanish and Portuguese influences from their colonial period.

The Seattle area has I believe the largest Filipino-American population in the country. I'd never had Filipino food until I moved here. We also have a number of Hawaiian restaurants. The Filipino-Hawaiian fusion that Sheldon was talking about would probably be a hit here. This week's show was actually the first time I can remember hearing him talk about his Filipino heritage. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention?

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5

I am oddly unfamiliar with Filipino cuisine.  I say "oddly" because our little burb of 25,000 has a large Filipino population and 3 Filipino restaurants which I've never tried.  I guess it's because we're lucky to have such a diverse selection of restaurants (including Hawaiian) that we haven't gotten around to sampling their food.

My love for Sheldon grows, so I'll have to check these places out.

• Love 2

Mooncake76, I agree with you.  Shirley and Sheldon's stories do not bother me (whether it is saying, "I am adding some Hawaiian flavor." to "My grandparents would have this all the time.")  I am Hispanic and, like you, couldn't cook myself out of a paper bag.  But when there are several foods that remind me of home and the stories that I grew up with.  There are lots of different "plates" that remind me of different family members - the menudo my parents would make from scratch always remind me of my cousin (long story), making salsa reminds of the exploding pot, and many more.  I find that the food that comforts us usually has a story behind it.  So I kind of like Shirley's stories and the connection that Sheldon makes with his home.

Also I was really surprised that Sheldon was the only one who recognized his spouse!  I recognize my aunt's voice on the phone even though she only calls like twice a year!

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, Canada said:

How do you not fucking know the sound of your loved one's voice?????

I was thinking this too - but then in Shirley's husband's interview he said that she works twelve hour days and that they have developed a routine of him always driving her to work and picking her up "SO THEY CAN BE SURE OF SPENDING THAT MUCH TIME TOGETHER." This broke my heart a little because I totally get that- I work days and Mr Rat works six evenings a week and we also have to really work at making sure we make time to spend together. This is a restaurant worker's life - long hours, working every weekend and every goddamned holiday, missing everyone's birthdays, school plays, baseball games (e.g. Tesar's conversation with his wife about his son's baseball games) etc.  Glamorous!

But having said that of course I was completely charmed that Sheldon knew his boo right away. Loved him throwing the mushrooms over the partition at her.

About Carolina Gold rice - especially in a season that namechecked Edna Lewis I recommend  - oh hell no I INSIST that all of you read The Carolina Rice Kitchen: The African Connection by the great food historian Karen Hess (a friend of Edna's, no surprise).  A beautiful groundbreaking work - like so much of her work.

https://www.amazon.com/Carolina-Rice-Kitchen-African-Connection/dp/1570032084

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I was thinking this too - but then in Shirley's husband's interview he said that she works twelve hour days and that they have developed a routine of him always driving her to work and picking her up "SO THEY CAN BE SURE OF SPENDING THAT MUCH TIME TOGETHER." This broke my heart a little because I totally get that- I work days and Mr Rat works six evenings a week and we also have to really work at making sure we make time to spend together. This is a restaurant worker's life - long hours, working every weekend and every goddamned holiday, missing everyone's birthdays, school plays, baseball games (e.g. Tesar's conversation with his wife about his son's baseball games) etc.  Glamorous!

Same with working in the airline industry.  Mr. pig and I worked opposite shifts for decades.  The cats were happy because they knew somebody would always be in bed with them.

But having said that of course I was completely charmed that Sheldon knew his boo right away. Loved him throwing the mushrooms over the partition at her.

That's our Sheldon!

About Carolina Gold rice - especially in a season that namechecked Edna Lewis I recommend  - oh hell no I INSIST that all of you read The Carolina Rice Kitchen: The African Connection by the great food historian Karen Hess (a friend of Edna's, no surprise).  A beautiful groundbreaking work - like so much of her work.

https://www.amazon.com/Carolina-Rice-Kitchen-African-Connection/dp/1570032084

I will keep checking to see if it's available on Kindle.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I am oddly unfamiliar with Filipino cuisine.  I say "oddly" because our little burb of 25,000 has a large Filipino population and 3 Filipino restaurants which I've never tried.  I guess it's because we're lucky to have such a diverse selection of restaurants (including Hawaiian) that we haven't gotten around to sampling their food.

My love for Sheldon grows, so I'll have to check these places out.

Filipino/Hawaiian food is having a moment.  A Filipino/Hawaiian restaurant featuring poke has just opened  here in the heart of the Midwest (Columbus.) It received a rave review from our local newspaper.  If Sheldon wins Top Chef, I expect that this food trend will accelerate.

• Love 3

I think that Brooke feels entitled to the win. I find that annoying.

10 hours ago, susannot said:

Filipino/Hawaiian food is having a moment.  A Filipino/Hawaiian restaurant featuring poke has just opened  here in the heart of the Midwest (Columbus.) It received a rave review from our local newspaper.  If Sheldon wins Top Chef, I expect that this food trend will accelerate.

Poke is exploding in California... It's shaping up to be the next Chipotle-like concept of healthy(ish), fresh ingredients served in a bowl. While I appreciate the more traditional Hawaiian plate lunch format for poke, the counter of Chipotle-like add-in options is very tasty. 

• Love 8

Nice episode, the right person was sent packing.

But I have to agree with those who think Brooke is being positioned for a LCK comeback to avenge her loss. I have never understood why they kept pushing her along this season, she has had several failures, but always seemed to get lucky and have at least one chef do a little bit worse. She also seems to be very stiff when asked to improvise, while most of the others seem to enjoy those types of challenges. From what we have seen all season long, she is not the best chef this season. That would be either Sheldon or Shirley based on overall consistent performance. 

As to John, is there anyone that does not know his age or that he used to be a douchenozzle? To paraphrase the late Mitch Hedberg, John used to be a douche. He still is, but he used to be, too. His dishes are often very basic, and nowhere near as creative as the other chefs, and like Brooke, he has skated by each week due to someone usually being just a little bit worse. 

The QFC was a joke. At least Sheldon admitted he knew who was there. There is no way these people, who have all been on the show before, and are familiar with the previous challenges, did not know about this particular one or how it works. Coupled with the fact that these people not recognize their partners voices does not seem realistic. Also, as others have noted, John's relationship with his wife seemed strained and unnatural. I don't think it was shyness on her part, but it's hard to tell from an edited TV scene. The whole conversation about their son and his baseball seemed very forced , almost like two exes just making small talk when stuck together at a function. 

Sheldon had a great night on both challenges, and comes across as a real classy guy the more we see him. Tom's comments to him seemed very encouraging and supportive, although it would be tough to hear if you were one of the other contestants.

Based on performance over the entire season, the finale should be Shirley and Shldon, but I have this sinking feeling Brooke will be inserted into it at the expense of one of the truly deserving chefs. 

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, MajorWoody said:

Also, as others have noted, John's relationship with his wife seemed strained and unnatural. I don't think it was shyness on her part, but it's hard to tell from an edited TV scene. The whole conversation about their son and his baseball seemed very forced , almost like two exes just making small talk when stuck together at a function. 

They are separated:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/john-tesar-laid-some-demons-to-rest-along-with-his-bad-boy-image-on-top-chef-9171528

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Canada said:

That makes sense.  When John said he couldn't believe that she was there, I found his explanation awkward.  If they're separated, that explains the awkwardness quite well!

John will always have an explanation or excuse! I've seen this guy for years on different shows and if he's changed, I'm missing it; regardless of his seeking help, drinking, and toking to mellow out! ;-)

Edited by Jamie Satyr
Punctuation correction
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Canada said:

Because it was mostly noisy with sound absorbing baffles keeping people apart (someone asked if their loved one could hear them), and if the loved one isn't speaking up or speaking during a lull it's hard to hear what they're saying, let alone identifying the person by the tone and tenor of their voice.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, JeanneH said:
18 hours ago, Canada said:

Because it was mostly noisy with sound absorbing baffles keeping people apart (someone asked if their loved one could hear them), and if the loved one isn't speaking up or speaking during a lull it's hard to hear what they're saying, let alone identifying the person by the tone and tenor of their voice.

Yes, I had the impression it was something his wife -said- rather than her voice, that Sheldon recognized. Like a turn of phrase or something? it seemed to happen when he asked her to find something? the mushrooms?

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, JeanneH said:

Also, wasn't Sheldon on the end? Brooke and Shirley were in the middle (meaning noise from all directions), with Shirley screaming, so it's no wonder Brooke couldn't tell. And Shirley was probably too worried with doing her own yelling to actually listen. And honestly, John is older. Physiologically, it's not unexpected for him to have hearing that may not be up to par with that of those in their 30s. Sheldon may have benefited from being a young'un on the end. Plus, as someone upthread mentioned, it seemed to have made a difference for him when his wife bent down to look for something and was thus speaking away from the wall/board. I think they really did muffle/disguise a lot.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Randomosity said:

And honestly, John is older. Physiologically, it's not unexpected for him to have hearing that may not be up to par with that of those in their 30s

LOL, my boyfriend is older and he was recently told at his hearing checkup that there's nothing wrong with his hearing, he just can't hear female voices well. Imagine the joy on his face when he told me that.... :)

Add to John's separation and he's probably not used to hearing her voice much. I do believe Sheldon figured it out by something his wife said. They should have all used little key phrases to tip off the other half who they were.

• Love 2

So I couldn't help finding what has been happening with Brooke over the last episodes a little bit touching.  She's a perfectionist, and that's something that sometimes stands her in good stead.  One of her talents is her precision and control.  And she is also very creative when she's working within tight bounds.  It's like people who write beautifully within the constraints of the sonnet form.  She's done creative work when she's in a context where creativity is a surprise, but when it's demanded--when the context and the rules are more freeform--she falters on creativity, and that normally  valuable precision and control become liabilities.  The things that are her virtues become her flaws.  Like others, I'm not sure that I would exactly like her.  She's difficult; however awful Josie was around Kristen's restaurant wars dismissal in Seattle, Brooke's saying that Josie lacked "class" was snobbish and mean.  But I admire the intensity of her ambition, and I'd love to eat her food, and something about her story on Top Chef (however it will end) makes me sad.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

Yes, I had the impression it was something his wife -said- rather than her voice, that Sheldon recognized. Like a turn of phrase or something? it seemed to happen when he asked her to find something? the mushrooms?

His wife has a distinct (Philippine) accent and that right there is enough.  He is aware they choose someone you know, as well.  I am shocked the others didn't seem to get that.   I can see why John would not have guessed his estranged wife would agree to come.  

I am baffled why a chef would choose to do a pork loin.  There is no fat and it is tasteless.  Pork chops have more fat but I don't cook those either for the same reason.  Brooke had every protein available to her.  

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

My immediate thought was past contestants. John said for all he knew it could be a six year old. So I don't think their minds went to spouse/sibling right away. 

I wish I knew why it should be a surprise? The same thing happens on "Hell's Kitchen" every season! When it gets down to the last 4 or 5 chefs, expect a visitor or 2! ;-)

• Love 2

The "replicate your dish with the unknown person behind the wall" challenge was done on Top Chef Masters, as Brooke correctly noted.

IIRC, 3 of the 4 TCM chefs had no idea with whom they were cooking.  I think it had to do with the acoustics, and who knows, maybe there was some sort of ambient noise that wasn't included in the audio feed.  Also, the TC Masters chefs did not do nearly as well with their partners as these chefs did, for whatever that is worth.

As for Tesar, thanks to the poster who put up the Dallas article.  I still believe Tesar is a major league asshole.  He thinks his schtick is cute.  He's waaaay over the hill for "cute".  It's tasteless, and crass, boring, and not in the least bit interesting.  I hope he loses.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

LOL, my boyfriend is older and he was recently told at his hearing checkup that there's nothing wrong with his hearing, he just can't hear female voices well. Imagine the joy on his face when he told me that.... :)

My dad was like that! He could hear most people when they spoke to him, but he had trouble hearing my mom. The doctor even did tests to prove to Mom he wasn't making it up - the frequency(?) her normal speaking voice was at was right in the middle of a range he was almost deaf to. We kept trying to get her to pitch her voice a little higher or lower, but she would always say she wasn't going to yell (which isn't what we were trying to get her to do)

5 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Just re-watched.  Sheldon said "let's take 4 mushrooms on top" and his wife said "I don't have mushrooms" then knelt to look under the table. When she said that, he kind of froze, looking straight ahead. Then she stood up and said "I've got the mushrooms" and he immediately said "hi hon" and she got this big smile on her face. Then he TH about how he knows who his partner is, and they go back to the QF, which has him calling her JLo. Then he TH about since it's his wife, he's going to keep things "super simple".

Something really amusing (I thought) was when they revealed John's partner and he's going all "oh my gosh!" (his reveal was first) Brooke looked at Shirley and half-whispers "who is it?" and Shirley replies with "I don't know". Brooke is the one at the beginning of the QF who said she'd seen something like that on TC Masters. And you didn't have a good idea who your partner would would probably be? (well, maybe not your sister, but that they'd be trying to get spouses?)

5 hours ago, Randomosity said:

Also, wasn't Sheldon on the end? Brooke and Shirley were in the middle (meaning noise from all directions), with Shirley screaming, so it's no wonder Brooke couldn't tell. And Shirley was probably too worried with doing her own yelling to actually listen. And honestly, John is older. Physiologically, it's not unexpected for him to have hearing that may not be up to par with that of those in their 30s. Sheldon may have benefited from being a young'un on the end. Plus, as someone upthread mentioned, it seemed to have made a difference for him when his wife bent down to look for something and was thus speaking away from the wall/board. I think they really did muffle/disguise a lot.

Sheldon is on the left end, then his wife, then Brooke's sister, then Brooke, then Shirley, then Shirley's husband, then John's wife, then John.  There are only dividers between the chefs and their "mystery partners" (as Padma called them). So there were no dividers between chef and chef, no dividers between partners from different teams.

About Shirley being loud and Brooke shushing her during the QF, I came across an interview with Brooke about this episode. During the interview they asked Brooke about things that go on behind the scenes that viewers didn't get to see. So she mentions several things, and then says

Oh, and every once in a while I was awakened by Shirley sleep-yelling at her pillow in the middle of the night (sorry, Shirley, my love, but you're an intense little ball of fire).

I guess it's not strategy with Shirley, it really is just Shirley being Shirley.

Link - SPOILER - Top Chef's Brooke Williamson Spills the Beans on Shirley Chung's Sleeping Habits

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, JeanneH said:

Sheldon is on the left end, then his wife, then Brooke's sister, then Brooke, then Shirley, then Shirley's husband, then John's wife, then John.  There are only dividers between the chefs and their "mystery partners" (as Padma called them). So there were no dividers between chef and chef, no dividers between partners from different teams.

Right. I'm not sure I follow with where you're going with that. My point was that Sheldon (and John) only had to deal with listening through his wall (not that there were extra walls or something). They didn't have to hear over another chef right next to them, like Brooke and Shirley both did, which could have made it easier for Sheldon (or John).

Not "going anywhere" with that. A question was asked if Sheldon was on the end, then something was said about Brooke and Shirley being in the middle. Since I was re-watching at that moment, I just noted who was where and where the dividers were (as noise was also being discussed in various posts). No agenda.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, marybennet said:

So I couldn't help finding what has been happening with Brooke over the last episodes a little bit touching.  She's a perfectionist, and that's something that sometimes stands her in good stead.  One of her talents is her precision and control.  And she is also very creative when she's working within tight bounds.  It's like people who write beautifully within the constraints of the sonnet form.  She's done creative work when she's in a context where creativity is a surprise, but when it's demanded--when the context and the rules are more freeform--she falters on creativity, and that normally  valuable precision and control become liabilities.  The things that are her virtues become her flaws.  Like others, I'm not sure that I would exactly like her.  She's difficult; however awful Josie was around Kristen's restaurant wars dismissal in Seattle, Brooke's saying that Josie lacked "class" was snobbish and mean.  But I admire the intensity of her ambition, and I'd love to eat her food, and something about her story on Top Chef (however it will end) makes me sad.

I can also sympathize. I understand people who are precise and disciplined, but not creative.  I am that way also. I won awards for my legal writing as a lawyer but when I tried creative writing it was a disaster.  I think Brooke  knows the rules of cuisine and cooking very well and she is great when called to perform within those rules.  When given a more abstract challenge, as she said, she flounders.  I appreciate both styles of cooking, but I want the more creative Sheldon to win.

• Love 3

Here's my theory as to why they didn't all immediately recognize their loved ones.

1. The chefs are all in the throes of the competition and are focused more on completing the task without thinking about who their partner might be.
2. The loved ones might have been told to keep what they said to a minimum so as to keep the surprise reveal.
3. The chefs didn't see anyone walk in, so they had no context as to who it could possibly be. I like to think I would recognize my husband's voice, but if I wasn't expecting him and I was incredibly sleep deprived, I can't guarantee I would. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, JeanneH said:

Something really amusing (I thought) was when they revealed John's partner and he's going all "oh my gosh!" (his reveal was first) Brooke looked at Shirley and half-whispers "who is it?" and Shirley replies with "I don't know". Brooke is the one at the beginning of the QF who said she'd seen something like that on TC Masters. And you didn't have a good idea who your partner would would probably be? (well, maybe not your sister, but that they'd be trying to get spouses?)

Actually in Brooke's case, the context of this challenge (ie instruct an amateur how to replicate your dish) would automatically disqualify her husband since he was also a chef.  That opened up several possibilities for who her partner could be, which lead to her not knowing 100% the identity of the person.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

Actually in Brooke's case, the context of this challenge (ie instruct an amateur how to replicate your dish) would automatically disqualify her husband since he was also a chef.  That opened up several possibilities for who her partner could be, which lead to her not knowing 100% the identity of the person.

Interesting about her husband. I knew they are (or maybe were?) but I did not know he was a chef.

1 hour ago, JeanneH said:

Interesting about her husband. I knew they are (or maybe were?) but I did not know he was a chef.

I remember her TH about collaborating on dishes with her husband. Perhaps that was form her original season 

After a point all seasons start to mesh together. :D  Well, except the one with Voltaggio brothers.  That was 1 level above any other TC season

• Love 5

Regarding Brooke Williamson and her chef-husband-co-owner Nick Roberts:

http://www.bravotv.com/people/brooke-williamson

I also remember from the Seattle season how Brooke W was portrayed as competing on Top Chef while her chef-husband-co-owner held down the fort at their (then only) restaurant.

She and her chef-husband have multiple restaurants/enterprises now and can only be considered as successful in the culinary world both in terms of reputation and financially. http://www.hudsonhousebar.com/about/ .  http://www.playaprovisions.com/about/ .  http://www.thetripel.com/ .  http://www.triplikit.com/ .

Yet, as some here have wondered about, she chose to come back onto Top Chef – to try to prove something, perhaps. But to what end?

Edited by chiaros
1 hour ago, chiaros said:

She and her chef-husband have multiple restaurants/enterprises now and can only be considered as successful in the culinary world both in terms of reputation and financially. http://www.hudsonhousebar.com/about/ .  http://www.playaprovisions.com/about/ .  http://www.thetripel.com/ .  http://www.triplikit.com/ .

Yet, as some here have wondered about, she chose to come back onto Top Chef – to try to prove something, perhaps. But to what end?

I thought she'd made that pretty clear - she lost, and wasn't happy about that; she lost to someone from LCK, and wasn't happy about that; and she lost in an Iron Chef final disguised as Top Chef, and she wasn't happy about that either. Brooke wants to prove she's the best, and won't be happy until she does so (IMO that's why she's been so driven this season).  I wonder if she'll only be happy if she could beat Kristen in a one-on-one cook-off.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, JeanneH said:

she lost in an Iron Chef final disguised as Top Chef, and she wasn't happy about that either.

Nor was I.  I liked Kristen and Brooke so much, I was very excited about a finale where I'd be thrilled with either winner -- only to have that joy marred by such a ridiculous format.  If Brooke winds up in this finale via LCK, I'll be happy if she wins, but equally happy if Shirley or Sheldon wins (not so much - or at all - with John).  But if Brooke did win, it would be a little something extra, erasing that bad memory. 

I said from the time the contestants for this season were announced that Brooke had the most to lose by coming back, so I really like that she put herself out there for it; she could have rested on a "she kinda got screwed" sentiment, but instead opted to try again, risking being eliminated mid-way through and changing the general perception to "Gee, I guess it was a fluke she got as far as she did the first time."

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Getting tired of the season always ending in Mexico and Hawaii. This is where it gets repetitive and I start to half watch  while doing something else or skip through it and see who wins.

The show can "write off" their vacations since the finale is taped for Bravo! ;-)

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:42 PM, dleighg said:

I was multi-tasking so presumably missed it but what exactly is the significance of "cooking at the Beard house"? 

Were you busy cooking rice? (ha)

8 hours ago, Giselle said:

Getting tired of the season always ending in Mexico and Hawaii. This is where it gets repetitive and I start to half watch  while doing something else or skip through it and see who wins.

I will still watch but I do agree with you about the repetitious choice of finale locations.  My favorite finale location--although not from a standout season--was Singapore.  Why wouldn't they choose a location like that again instead of same old, same old?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I will still watch but I do agree with you about the repetitious choice of finale locations.  My favorite finale location--although not from a standout season--was Singapore.  Why wouldn't they choose a location like that again instead of same old, same old?

Plane tickets to go halfway around the world  (Singapore) are vastly more expensive than going a few hours south or west ;)

However, I agree with the need for new place for finale.  They could go farther south.  How much more expensive is travel to Brazil or Columbia compared to Mexico?

Edited by DarkRaichu
12 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

Plane tickets to go halfway around the world  (Singapore) are vastly more expensive than going a few hours south or west ;)

However, I agree with the need for new place for finale.  They could go farther south.  How much more expensive is travel to Brazil or Columbia compared to Mexico?

Just stay where they are in the city or region they have been highlighting all season.

What's the big deal about going to a different destination when we see 30 seconds of them "arriving", 4 minutes of them "taking in culture", 2 minutes some local celeb chef explaining what is special about the cuisine( always something we've seen before with the many years of Bourdain, Zimmern and travel shows), the big reveal of the must have local ingredient, and the rest of the time is spent in the kitchen or in front of the judges. Que tiki torches and mariachies!

Why do we need guacamole and poi showdowns most every season? Just stay put and finish there. One final blow out in the place they have been showcasing all season long.

P.S. Forgot to add the multitude of bloviating quips from Rich Blais we are subjected to.

• Love 5