Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E11: Adiós Charleston, Hello James Beard

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

Impromptu dishes are prepared as the chefs instruct mystery partners how to create the exact same dish. Later, the chefs must serve up cuisine that best represents their "Top Chef" journey thus far. Appearing: Michael Solomonov; Mary Sue Milliken.

I'll be eager to see this next episode because I have so much respect for Mary Sue.  If the fix isn't in, John will go, but I've given up counting on the show being straight after Kasey's elimination for  too much salt and then not enough salt.  Ludicrous and just plain mean!!!

I hope Brooke fans don't feel bad...she did well but it was clear the other three chef's dishes were simply amazing, including John's...his clam sea broth looked amazing. I actually thought that John was going to be sent home (despite his dish being better than Brooke's), but I think the judges finally reached a conclusion that at this point in the game, they have to make a hard decision and do what they really think is right.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, archer1267 said:

Loved Sheldon's face when he recognized his wife's voice on the other side of the wall.

Me too, it looked like he was poked with a pin!

When Gayle was talking to Shirley about her dish there was a quick moment right before Shirley started crying that looked like she blanked out just for a split second. Like that moment just totally overwhelmed her and she went somewhere else in her head. I wanted to give her a hug!

I guess no more "the fix is in" posts!

• Love 12

Well I liked Brooke a lot but maybe this will earn back the respect of everyone convinced the show is fixed and fake and set up for her to win. Her dish did seem least impressive of the three. 

I didn't think I could love Sheldon more but I do! He and his wife are adorable and his dish sounded so delicious. So happy for him! 

• Love 20

Maybe Brooke's path is to follow Kristen and win from LCK?  I'm not able to view LCK yet so who knows.

I don't care for Shirley but I loved her husband!!!

PS I hope Sheldon wins.

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 11

I like Brooke, but I love Sheldon & I think he has surpassed her at this point as a chef.    He just seems to always be near the top this year and is able to be so creative.   That being said, I hope Brooke fights her way back.  I like Shirley too & im curious to see how she does executing multiple courses if she makes it to the final two.  I like John, but by his own admission his cooking is less complicated than the others and I don't think ithats going to cut it at this point.

• Love 11

I ended up not not liking Brooke as much as I did at the start but I would much rather have her back than Casey. I just don't like that woman. I don't know or particularly like Jamie. 

Come on Sheldon, you can win this!  The judges are not familiar with his Hawaiian, Philippines fusion and that is a good thing.  Chefs get tired of the same thing over and over.  Tom said that David's (previous season) truffle mac and cheese was a slam dunk for a bunch of chefs who eat lamb all the time. All the other cheftants  made lamb. 

John didn't recognize his wife. I was surprised. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 7

I also wondered how everyone except Sheldon failed to recognize their loved  ones' voices.  And I totally thought that John's wife doesn't like him very much. Although to be fair, he did say that she's shy.  Maybe it's because I don't like John!  I thought it was pretty clear that Brooke had the worst dish but that Tom was harping on John's pepper skins as a possible excuse to eliminate him.

I liked what Gail said to Brooke at the end. "Don't mistake emotion for weakness."  That's so true.

I figured that Padma had something to shill when she said that she would cook dinner for the cheftestants.  Could we can Padma, make Gail the host, and bring Mary Sue Milliken on as judge? That would make a good show even better.

• Love 22

I cried when tom said Sheldon will take his  place among the greatest chefs in the country.  He is getting the winner's edit, and is the winner in my book!

i love Shirley.  It was great to see her husband! They seem like a great pair.

John and his wife seemed a bit cold. Something was off about their interactions not sure if it was just because she's uncomfortable being on camera. 

How did they all not recognize their spouse's (or sister's) voice immediately? I didn't understand that! 

• Love 19

I figured that Padma had something to shill when she said that she would cook dinner for the cheftestants.

Yeah, that was pretty cheesy. Has Padma shilled anything else, like used her cookbook as a prize in a QF? That just seemed so...random. Incidents like this remind me of what Jeffrey said on Project Runway (S3) when Heidi Klum invited the designers to a cocktail party and then there was a twist: "It's not a party. It's never a fucking party." I.e., Padma cooking dinner wasn't going to be Padma just doing a nice gesture.

• Love 9

Give me seven kinds of break that Sheldon is the only one who recognized the voice.  John doomed his wife on the sauce, when he told her to spoon it on, being careful not to use too much, while he was just pouring it on straight from the pan.

It’s interesting that Brooke, who is such a creative chef, has trouble when told “make something inspired by X” and prefers a straightforward challenge, within which she just naturally thinks of a creative twist – my mind works much the same way.  That’s probably why I like her literal concept: You want to know about my “journey” here, I’ll make a dish that combines ingredients from some of my favorite challenges.  I hope she’ll come back via LCK (even though it will mean I have to read more conspiracy theories).

Wow, Shirley nailed that dish, judging by the comments at the dining table – that was some incredible feedback.  So I was surprised when Sheldon got the win.  I really miss the blogs.

Does Padma have an entire wardrobe of outfits that have cutouts on the sides?

• Love 12

I had to laugh when Sheldon ribbed Tom C. about the okra as he (Sheldon) left the table.  He made Tom eat okra and LIKE it!  Sheldon's dish was so out there, it must have been amazing.  Noodles out of ground up rice....he goes where no one else on the show has gone before.  *William Shatner Voice*

• Love 10
2 hours ago, bobbobbob199 said:

I hope Brooke fans don't feel bad...she did well but it was clear the other three chef's dishes were simply amazing, including John's...his clam sea broth looked amazing. I actually thought that John was going to be sent home (despite his dish being better than Brooke's), but I think the judges finally reached a conclusion that at this point in the game, they have to make a hard decision and do what they really think is right.

Thanks! Hadn't seen LCK so the blog's been updated! Thx again! - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2011/06/top-chef-entry-for-1107-on.html

Has Shirley ever cooked anything on this reality TV show without dragging her family and her grandparents through the kitchen and the pantry and the garden and the fridge and whatever she wants the judges to think is her "heart"? While simpering through all of it? Maybe she has, but if so please remind me of it.

I'd like to see her cook more stuff just as a dish, without invoking some version of "Her Heritage" and/or "Her Family/Grandparents".  That would be nice.  And please, stop simpering at Tom C and the judges.

Yes, Brooke's dish was the least good one, even from where I sat on my couch. Bye. We will see if you make it out of LCK.

Shirley's dish - too weepy. Sheldon's dish - great recovery. John's dish - pretty good. Brooke's dish - not quite there.

I understood what John T was doing with leaving the pepper skins on. Bitter? I have never found them to be so.

Sou-vide pork tenderloin? Mushy.

Poached grouper? Nothing new or exceptional. Grouper is also pretty forgiving about cooking times.

Making hor fun with rice that does NOT have the usual characteristics of the usual varieties in a limited time? Good finagling.

Edited by chiaros
  • Love 6

John's dish was very simple but it appears he executed it well.

Brooke appeared to throw a bunch of things on the plate and they didn't quite come together. It looked like the pork was cooked unevenly. I agree with her leaving.  

I don't mind if she wins LCK but part of me really wants a rookie back. I will mind if she wins it and wins Top Chef too. 

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:30 PM, Court said:

John's dish was very simple but it appears he executed it well.

Brooke appeared to throw a bunch of things on the plate and they didn't quite come together. It looked like the pork was cooked unevenly. I agree with her leaving.  

I don't mind if she wins LCK but part of me really wants a rookie back. I will mind if she wins it and wins Top Chef too. 

I get so aggravated when that sous vide machine is overused! It's supposed to make proteins more tender with the slow cooking, but when they put something that turns to mush like salmon, I lose it! I have no sympathy for Brooke using that technique when a quick sear on her pork would have done the trick and sealed in those juices! What have they decided to do; wait to have Brooke and Casey compete after the 1st part of the finale next week? That would eliminate 1 on 2 fronts so the 2nd part will still have 3 chefs contesting for Top Chef; or maybe cut 2 of the remaining chef (John, Shirley, or Sheldon)! ;-)

- - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2011/06/top-chef-entry-for-1107-on.html - -

Edited by Jamie Satyr
Corrected spelling
  • Love 1

...and yes, Shirley was being LOUD and obnoxious during the QF with all her yelling.

And she did not recognize her own husband, as others have pointed out. Possibly because she was yelling too much for her to hear and register the voice from the other side. Sheldon, OTOH, heard the voice from the other side.

Edited by chiaros
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, chiaros said:

...and yes, Shirley was being LOUD and obnoxious during the QF with all her yelling.

And she did not recognize her own husband, as others have pointed out. Possibly because she was yelling too much for her to hear and register the voice from the other side. Sheldon, OTOH, heard the voice from the other side.

She was literally screaming into the wall instead of speaking softer "over" it! Brain-fart! It was like she thought if she yelled loud enough, it would go through like a wood wall or something! ;-(

• Love 1
3 hours ago, archer1267 said:

How could the rest not recognize their loved ones' voices?

How could they never have seen that challenge on the show before?

I've always liked Shirley but her adorable wedding picture and chauffeuring-to-work husband pushed me over into love.

I'm not exactly fussed when contestants continually cook from their heritage; they all pretty much recreate or modify dishes they make at their restaurants anyway, but I do really appreciate it when they try something creative they've never done before or widen their scope in another way. Sheldon, for example, has said he thinks straying from his roots got him eliminated before, but as a viewer I'd like to see him turn out a classic French dish, or Mexican, just for the variety.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Lord Donia said:

I'm not exactly fussed when contestants continually cook from their heritage; they all pretty much recreate or modify dishes they make at their restaurants anyway, but I do really appreciate it when they try something creative they've never done before or widen their scope in another way. Sheldon, for example, has said he thinks straying from his roots got him eliminated before, but as a viewer I'd like to see him turn out a classic French dish, or Mexican, just for the variety.

Of course. However, Shirley, on this show at least, keeps harping on it and basically always drags her family into the picture on why she made a dish. It's almost like she were incapable of making a dish without her family or grandparents being involved, and her making sure that the judges KNEW this while smiling (simpering) and nodding and crying and whatever else in front of them.

In contrast, Sheldon draws upon his Filipino/Hawaiian heritage constantly in this show, too, but does not make a huge song and dance about it. He simply states it when he needs to, and leaves it at that.

Edited by chiaros
  • Love 7

Just realized multiple cheftestants said this was their last time on Top Chef. So did at least one of the LCK chefs in episodes released tonight. I wonder if that was part of the agreement to be on this season, or if they're saying that because they just don't know.

Also, 3 of the 4 semi-finalists are James Beard nominees, and it's Brooke who is the odd man out? Do you have to be at some super-successful restaurant just to be considered? Going to have to go find the rewuirements.  The list of chefs in the room when Mary Sue Milliken won her first was amazing.

On 2/10/2017 at 0:37 AM, chiaros said:

Of course. However, Shirley, on this show at least, keeps harping on it and basically always drags her family into the picture on why she made a dish. It's almost like she were incapable of making a dish without her family or grandparents being involved, and her making sure that the judges KNEW this while smiling (simpering) and nodding and crying and whatever else in front of them.

In contrast, Sheldon draws upon his Filipino/Hawaiian heritage constantly in this show, too, but does not make a huge song and dance about it. He simply states it when he needs to, and leaves it at that.

Shirley talks about her family all the time, Sheldon talks about Hawaii all the time (I find that he does make a deal about it too, obviously YMMV), Brooke goes on about doing better this time (winning) all the time. Everyone does something that someone's going to find annoying. It's just them.

• Love 13
40 minutes ago, JeanneH said:

Just realized multiple cheftestants said this was their last time on Top Chef. So did at least one of the LCK chefs in episodes released tonight. I wonder if that was part of the agreement to be on this season, or if they're saying that because they just don't know.

Also, 3 of the 4 semi-finalists are James Beard nominees, and it's Brooke who is the odd man out? Do you have to be at some super-successful restaurant just to be considered? Going to have to go find the rewuirements.  The list of chefs in the room when Mary Sue Milliken won her first was amazing.

I don't know, in any event it's unlikely any of them are coming back again. If you consider all of the James Beard awards, there are quite a number of chefs who are recognized, so it's not that uncommon for there to be a chef to be nominated. Shirley was not nominated for her own restaurant but she was working at Jose Andres's China Poblano when it was nominated for Best New Restaurant, and Sheldon was a semifinalist for Rising Star Chef. John's four time semifinalist for best chef: Southwest is pretty impressive.

Also on a side note, it seems as of three chefs this season are cooking at the James Beard house this month. Jamie did the whole meal yesterday, Sheldon is doing his in a couple weeks, and Brooke is cooking as part of a female chefs collab. Interesting stuff!

• Love 4

Happy for Sheldon!

I love the way that Shirley and Sheldon's spouses were really a good counterpoint to them.

You know, until tonight, I really didn't understand what people were talking about when they said that Shirley would try to kiss the judges asses by constantly bringing up her heritage.  I kinda saw that tonight.  It didn't bother me, but it was just funny.

I don't watch LCK, but I feel like we're being set up for Brooke to come back and capture the win.....karmic justice style.

But I really want Sheldon to win, so I hope not.

Also, how does one get to eat at the James Beard house?

On 2/9/2017 at 9:55 PM, avecsans said:

I also wondered how everyone except Sheldon failed to recognize their loved  ones' voices.  And I totally thought that John's wife doesn't like him very much. Although to be fair, he did say that she's shy.  Maybe it's because I don't like John!  I thought it was pretty clear that Brooke had the worst dish but that Tom was harping on John's pepper skins as a possible excuse to eliminate him.

I liked what Gail said to Brooke at the end. "Don't mistake emotion for weakness."  That's so true.

I figured that Padma had something to shill when she said that she would cook dinner for the cheftestants.  Could we can Padma, make Gail the host, and bring Mary Sue Milliken on as judge? That would make a good show even better.

"Hey y'all, I brought my own frozen rice!"  Say what Willis?

And, oh please Padma, you can miss me with the "you can be harsh, its okay."  Yeah, like a woman who holds a two week grudge over a  missing plate of food is going to let it go when if you make the slightest critique of her food.

However, the food looked delicious, so I'm sure no one had anything to say.

I also got the impression that JT's wife didn't like him very much, but as you said, maybe she is just shy.  But Sheldon's wife seemed a little more on the shy/reserved side and you could just tell they were so happy to see each other.

On 2/10/2017 at 0:06 AM, chiaros said:

Well, to be fair to Shirley, it seemed like all he said was "yes" and "okay"

I get the impression he doesn't talk very much, but I also get the impression that it really works for the two of them.

• Love 8

This past week, an Asian chef on Chopped said something similar to Shirley with respect to her heritage, that her family was very against her cooking career.  I've heard others say this as well.  Asian parents seem to have this view more than other groups, perhaps because they emigrated here to the US and took jobs in Chinese restaurants.  So it's not surprising that they want more for their children and don't get the difference between being a world class chef and slinging Chow mein.  Given that, is it any wonder that Shirley feels the way she does?  We all want to make our parents proud, and not getting their approval must be awful.

• Love 18

I also wondered how everyone except Sheldon failed to recognize their loved  ones' voices.

Maybe the partitions muffle the voices some way.   It seemed like Sheldon recognized his wife's voice when she was  down looking for the mushrooms under the counter.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Wow, Shirley nailed that dish, judging by the comments at the dining table – that was some incredible feedback.  So I was surprised when Sheldon got the win.  I really miss the blogs.

I miss the blogs, too.  They prevented conspiracy theories by offering more detail as to why someone was eliminated.  We see very little of the judges decision making.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

This past week, an Asian chef on Chopped said something similar to Shirley with respect to her heritage, that her family was very against her cooking career.  I've heard others say this as well.  Asian parents seem to have this view more than other groups, perhaps because they emigrated here to the US and took jobs in Chinese restaurants.  So it's not surprising that they want more for their children and don't get the difference between being a world class chef and slinging Chow mein.  Given that, is it any wonder that Shirley feels the way she does?  We all want to make our parents proud, and not getting their approval must be awful.

Sylva said the same thing about his father, so it may be more than just Asian immigrants.  I could see where my parents might have thought the same thing when they first came to the US, because the food in their country is amazing, but there aren't many high end chefs -- so they would have seen it as something that wasn't very prestigious.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Josette said:

Maybe the partitions muffle the voices some way.   It seemed like Sheldon recognized his wife's voice when she was  down looking for the mushrooms under the counter.

Like Josette, I wondered if there was something about the soundwalls that made it difficult to recognize their loved ones (even though, as pointed out, TC has done this stunt before).  I'd know Mr. pig's voice if he were bound and gagged and in a burlap bag.

IMHO this was the best ep of this season.  The dishes were creative and delicious looking.  It humanized the chefs by viewing them interacting with family members.  We had good guest judges.

Hey - did anyone know Padma was marketing frozen rice before seeing this ep?

• Love 10

I adore Shelton and his family. I really hope that he wins and goes on to bigger and better things.

One of the things I admire most about Sheldon is that he truly seems to feel that life on Hawaii with his family IS the biggest and best thing. I hope he wins and can have all the things in the way HE wants them, not whatever the chef world thinks should be.

• Love 23

Am I the only one to play and replay...oh yeah...and replay where Tom told Sheldon it's ok to be humble etc  and Sheldon's reaction to Tom's words.   Love Sheldon  

Brooke so got into her own head throughout the season.  The pressure of competing with herself made this a miserable experience for her I would bet. 

• Love 12

hendersonrocks, I'm trying to find the "odd" and/or "unusual" aspect to Sheldon's love of life in Hawaii. Nope, not found! It's HAWAII! 

I have never made nor eaten green bell peppers sans skin. Colicchio (whose voice to me has always been like the proverbial fingernails on the blackboard menu) was trying to put the kibosh on John---whom I want to win, because I think he has lived his redemption arc, no tears, no simpering.

And I detected zero evidence to conclude that John's wife "didn't like him very much," RealReality. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Ellee said:

Brooke so got into her own head throughout the season.  The pressure of competing with herself made this a miserable experience for her I would bet. 

She looks so unhappy all the time.  It's definitely influenced my opinion of her, since I can't taste her food.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

One of the things I admire most about Sheldon is that he truly seems to feel that life on Hawaii with his family IS the biggest and best thing. I hope he wins and can have all the things in the way HE wants them, not whatever the chef world thinks should be.

I was struck by this, too.  A friend of mine fell I love with a woman whose family lives in Maui. They met in MA. They moved there and have been there for 5 years now.  He has the same vibe as Sheldon, now.  Everyone does not respond to Hawaii this way but when it is a fit for you it is magic. 

7 hours ago, Ellee said:

Am I the only one to play and replay...oh yeah...and replay where Tom told Sheldon it's ok to be humble etc  and Sheldon's reaction to Tom's words.   Love Sheldon  

Loved that scene.  And, yeah, Brooke is very serious as is Casey.  They are not having fun but rather out to prove something to themselves and others I assume.  Very intense and off putting.

7 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I have never made nor eaten green bell peppers sans skin. Colicchio (whose voice to me has always been like the proverbial fingernails on the blackboard menu) was trying to put the kibosh on John---whom I want to win, because I think he has lived his redemption arc, no tears, no simpering.

And I detected zero evidence to conclude that John's wife "didn't like him very much," RealReality. 

I notice that the judges always point out the flaws in a dish to foster suspense as to who will win or go. John made a point that leaving the skins on gave more texture. That made sense to me.  Tom pointing out the simplicity of his dish basically said, step it up. I think he would have been eliminated had Brooke not failed in a bigger way.

I forgot he was in the finals!  I like him, not sure why, I cannot defend that. Sometimes you just take a liking or aversion to people.  I would certainly like to see him win over Brooke or Casey. 

He sensed his wife was very uptight and that was distracting him from too much PDA, something that may make her uncomfortable.  From what he says they have been through a lot together. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 5