Type keyword(s) to search

Soft Kitty 2.0: The Cute Animal Thread

• Start Topic

Photo: April's Baby Giraffe having full vet check up

giraffe-tall-902334.jpg

This morning the team got hands on with baby to do a full vet check and record height and weight. 

Height: 5' 9" 
Weight: 129 lbs 
(there is a weight drop the first 24 hours) 

Baby checks out just perfect! 

Nursing strongly this morning without any concerns. 

April has recovered perfectly and is eating everything in sight! 

https://www.facebook.com/AnimalAdventurePark/photos/a.248725055230381.37912.246833958752824/960070200762526/?type=3&theater

https://www.democraticunderground.com/1018943042

• Love 6

This is Evolene.  She lost all over her kittens after they were born due to chronic malnutrition during Evolene's pregnancy.  

The sadness in her eyes is just heartbreaking.  (I might be a tad anthropomorphic, but that's what I see.)

• Love 3

Sarah's Kitten Cuddle Room has a calico mama cat who's predicted to give birth anytime now. Sarah also has 3 11 month old fosters that she needs to get adopted in the Los Angeles area who can be seen on her room's Facebook page here.  The live stream for her YouTube channel is below.

• Love 1

Harlequin had six babies within just about a hour. She's so tiny they must have been wedged into any free space there was in her belly near the end of her pregnancy.

• Love 2

She was just shooting them out, it seemed. Poor darling, she looks like a half-grown kitten herself. Never again, Harley. You're safe now. Didn't they say a vet heard her and found her taped up in a box and tossed out like trash? Some people don't deserve to breathe. Grr.

• Love 5

Can we have an animals in need thread or sub thread? I can't handle the sad animal posts. II know it's important to get the word out about animals in need so if this is the place it will be then I'll just stay out of it.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Another one I remember from AFV. I freaking love this dog.

Dogs are just so darned easy - it makes cats look hard by comparison!!!  My cats fell for the fakeout ONCE before giving me the side-eye and/pr the side-step!  :-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

Cat Cuddler needed in Dublin!

The ideal candidate must have gentle hands capable of petting and stroking cats for long periods of time.
They need to be softly spoke and capable of cat whispering to calm the nerves of some of our in patients.
An ability to understand different types of purring is a distinct added advantage in helping you secure this position with us. 

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Luggage packing tip: only include the essentials.

luggage.JPG

That's only Phase 1 of their concerted effort to dissuade you from ever leaving them. Yeah, they're all cute & suitcase cuddly NOW, but the closer to departure you get, the more likely cat piss is to enter the picture.  

(Or so I've heard.  I've never had the guts to actually leave my cathouse for more than a few hours in over a decade!).

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

That's only Phase 1 of their concerted effort to dissuade you from ever leaving them. Yeah, they're all cute & suitcase cuddly NOW, but the closer to departure you get, the more likely cat piss is to enter the picture.  

(Or so I've heard.  I've never had the guts to actually leave my cathouse for more than a few hours in over a decade!).

You're more likely to find piss or puke on your pillow if they're really ticked off. Mine have given me pitiful mews like they were wee kittens: "Is that... is that you? It's been so long, I despaired of ever hearing that voice again... You left me here all alone, it seems like decades ago!" And that was with someone visiting daily.

Overly-Dramatic-Cats-29.jpg

Edited by riley702
pic
  • Love 6

From Cheezburger: Cute stuff with cats and dogs.

Does anybody sporadically watch America's Funniest Home Videos? Yes, that's still around. I saw something hilarious last week . . . four dogs running around in the yard of their new home, and three of them didn't know about the in-ground swimming pool. They just fell in. I wish I could find it on YouTube.

• Love 5
(edited)
45 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

This is not an ugly dog. I mean, Martha has been through some shit, but she doesn't look as fucked-over as her older, smaller, homelier rivals. I will say that if a larger breed has to win, it would be the Neapolitan Mastiff. Those guys are 20 percent jowl meat.

I am biologically predisposed to gag at any hint of saliva (don't even ask how I managed to survive wet kisses, much less that "other stuff"!).  Animal slobber is inexplicably exempt from my peculiar proclivity.  Go figure.  My favorite is the animal I'm communing with at that moment; jowls, slobber & all.

And yes, give me your ugly, old, tired, unwanted & unloved animals - I'd cherish them all in a heartbeat, if only someone could afford the vet bills.  :~/

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 3

In case you miss it, this is Zola the gorilla at the Calgary Zoo, circa 2011:

. . . and here is is at the Dallas Zoo.

Obvious question: should we be concerned? Like, really concerned? What kills me is how he claps his hands at the start, like he's psyching himself up.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

In case you miss it, this is Zola the gorilla at the Calgary Zoo, circa 2011:

. . . and here is is at the Dallas Zoo.

Obvious question: should we be concerned? Like, really concerned? What kills me is how he claps his hands at the start, like he's psyching himself up.

Animals in captivity, no matter how professionally &/or well they are cared for, should be cause for concern.

• Love 1

It's been a while, and I wish I had a better reason to pop up again. Paddington has passed away. I knew he was having health concerns, but ihe was supposed to be in remission. Broke my heart seeing the news last night, may have broken my mother's heart worse. Paddy was basically my favorite Instagram animal. So goofy-looking yet so zen, so serious yet so silly.

In happier news, Sissy and Tilly are about to get a news puggy sister in Natty. I don't know if Tilly has heard that she will no longer be the baby of the house.

I'll post more links later.

• Love 1

Kitten season again for Shelly and TinyKittensHQ in Langley, BC.  Rula had three, two panthers and a torti, and Ramona had five dark tabbies, losing one to Fading Kitten Syndrome.  The mama-to-be we're waiting for now is Chloe, this year's Catermelon.  When she's not sharing Ramona's nest, she's in the Wedge of Denial. 

Grandpa Mason is still around, so he'll be in heaven once the kits are close to weaning. 

ETA:  Ramona and Chloe are doing a communal birth.  The first three Chloe was so big that Ramona helped her with cleaning and getting the kits breathing.  This isn't something Shelly has ever seen before.   It's really amazing to watch. 

Edited by navelgazer
  • Love 4

Chloe's last kitten has a cleft palate and may not make it. It will depend on whether or not anything else is wrong with her, and whether she can get tube feedings without aspirating anything into her lungs until she's old enough for surgery. Usually 3 months.

One of Ramona's kittens died a day after birth of Fading Kitten Syndrome, where they are lethargic, don't want to eat, have low body temp, etc. It can often mean there are other defects not visible.

One of Rula's kittens is missing the pad on the bottom of one foot.

These are all due to not spaying/neutering, and inbreeding in outdoor colonies. The rescue has over 70% of this colony (200+ cats) spayed or neutered.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 3