Type keyword(s) to search

Soft Kitty 2.0: The Cute Animal Thread

• Start Topic

After the events in November, a "Current Events" forum was set up for people to vent in general. One of the threads was for cute animals . . . sweet critters to lower the blood pressure. The thread went away along with the rest of the forum, but I figured that it can be revived.

We already have a pets thread. Basically, if you see something cute involving an animal, post it here. Right now, I cycle through seven Instagram accounts for my fix. I visit Cheezburger for goofy dogs. For instance: here are GIFs of improbably chubby French Bulldog puppies. You're smiling right now, right? Well, this is the place for it. And here's something for panda-cam fiends: 23 cubs gathered in one place.

• Love 7

From The Onion: Nine Popular Dog Breeds. Yes, I admit that I am a little too infatuated with bulldogs, even though they're not as genetically fit as they used to be. And I always check out these unruly bruisers from Thailand. They have problems . . . especially Logan. When they're motionless and/or laying around, I imagine them to be hung over.

Had a nice moment. Wound up missing the local rail to the ferry, so I had to take the express bus into the city. I'm looking out the window, and I saw a yellow Lab puppy on a leash. So cute even from afar.

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, forumfish said:

Holy crap I love squirrels like a crazy person. They are so fluffy and cute. There are some here that will eat out of my hand and take the food so gently even though they have those razor claws, they don't cut me. They dance and shake their tails and chatter and sit on the sill and tap on the window. CUTENESS

• Love 1

I've always been oddly obsessed with goats. I just think they're hilarious and every bit as cute, friendly and lovable as doggies and kitties. Nice to see other goat lovers are finding them fashionable nowadays; I find myself seeing more and more cute baby goat videos pop up on YouTube and Facebook.

I'm also rather smitten with alpacas/lamas, camels and giraffes. Otters and foxes are starting to really get lots more social media love lately. Some chickens and ducks. Couldn't care less about pigs and horses. 

Here's another Instagram account I hit a lot: Sammo Hog. She is the pet pig of Jessie Graff, who broke out on American Ninja Warrior last year. Sammo is cute, and she's a bit of an athlete herself.

ETA: Here's something from China . . . a panda cub really wants to play with a human.

• Love 2
(edited)

I saw a cute video on youtube. (I get distracted and love animal photos and vids) Anyway, it was so cute, but kind of sad. It wasn't a newborn squirrel of course, but it was a baby. There was some dude who thought the squirrel was "attacking " him so he put it in a box which terrified it. He let it out and the animal started following him. He could have thrown some food , but instead he just taunted it. Long story short, the squirrel was found to be tame (a neighbor's) and it was used to living with people and apparently the neighbors  let it go. It was lost.

There was another adorable squirrel on a video (if I could link it I would.) Anyway,  the man with the camera had been feeding it every day. Then he didn't feed it, but the man DID show up inside the closed window so the squirrel  could see him.  The squirrel tapped on the  window screen. The man had a kid with him and wanted to put on a "show" for the kid about the "attacking " animal. . He taunted the squirrel by tapping on the window, then opened the window so the squirrel could smell food through the screen , but couldn't get to it. The squirrel started jumping on the screen trying to get the human's attention bc it had been fed so many times right there at that spot . like "Where is my food?" The human kept taunting that poor little hungry animal. I'm sure it went somewhere and found something bc that's what they do. I just thought it was mean.  

Some humans...... *sigh*

All your photos here are so so CUTE!!!

Edited by ari333

FWIW, Nick Swardson does a hilarious bit about his mother's cat and his visit to his mom's.  It makes me cry from laughing. I'll try to find the link. Spoiler alert: the cat wins heheheh

Aww Station on Facebook is down. I got Aww Zone, but I think the former came first. I did find this: Alvin the mini horse.

And while I'm at it, here are the Pugdashians. Basically, it's two old lady pugs and their little sister. I actually met them in New York, and I held Tilly. The lady who takes care of them took my picture, but neither of us checked to see if it went through. It did not. Here are pics I did take that day.

These two always make me smile.  One is a group of ducks recovered from a hoarder experiencing water for the first time.  The other is a Texas vet who uses YouTuber donations to help treat in-need animals.  In this video he raises four orphan squirrels.  (It helps that Dr. Matt is squee-licious.)  

Then there's the quarter-pound kitten.  

• Love 4

I LOVE Vet Ranch! I like when he reads letters from kids who now want to be vets or draw him pictures of their pets. And then enclose $5 to help. And I admit I bought a Vet Ranch t-shirt (link in all the video descriptions).

• Love 2

It's kitten season again, so Shelly Roche of tinykittens.org, a trap-and-release nonprofit in Langley, BC, has on YouTube and Livestream two new trapped feral mamas who have given birth to their last litter of kittens.  (Below one feed is an archive, the other is live.)  

I can waste enormous amounts of time watching these kittehs grow up to be adoptable.    

• Love 3
12 hours ago, navelgazer said:

It's kitten season again, so Shelly Roche of tinykittens.org, a trap-and-release nonprofit in Langley, BC, has on YouTube and Livestream two new trapped feral mamas who have given birth to their last litter of kittens.  (Below one feed is an archive, the other is live.)  

I can waste enormous amounts of time watching these kittehs grow up to be adoptable.    

Wow - I lived in Langley, B.C many years ago.  Now I have my own little family of fixed backyard semi-ferals here in North San Diego County.  Much as I love kittens, I'm happy not to see any around here (thank you, Feral Cat Coalition!).

• Love 2

Evolene lost two of her kittens and the surviving 3 have been put with Corsica. Kittens are getting bottle and tube fed to supplement. Evolene's health was poor by the time they trapped her* and they said she and all the kittens would have died had they not brought her in. :( I was lucky enough to see both sets of five born a day apart. I'm still glued to the feed.

*She was seriously malnourished and her kittens were noticeably smaller and weaker than Corsica's Her first kitten was breech and had his head stuck until Shelly (the caretaker) could get it out. One of the kittens looked distinctly more premature than the others, but I think that one is still alive. Also, her milk never came in. They're just trying to get her nursed back to health now.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 2

I've been watching since I found TK in early 2015. I watch Foster Dad John and Kitten Cuddle Room too which are nice chats to visit or stay in when TK's is getting overwhelming (trying to say that in a nice way. It's so sad about Evo's kittens and what condition she was in when found. Corsica seems to be really stepping up though. It seems like birthing those kittens has left Evo completely exhausted along with the stomach issues she has going on which have probably left her perpetually dehydrated.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1

More sad news: Two more of Evo's kittens have died and the last (#4) is "fading". They think (since she's so friendly) that she wasn't truly feral, just dumped by a callous owner. Spay and neuter, people! And surrender instead of dump. This was completely preventable. Poor Evo.

A better way is how Gaia's owners handled her getting pregnant. She's being fostered on a live feed (Critter Room), has had her 6 kittens and we can watch until the kittens are old enough to adopt out, at which point Gaia will be spayed and returned to her family.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1

When we had cats when we were kids, my Dad always let the females have a litter before getting the cat fixed.  He grew up on a farm so there was some rationale about letting the cat go through one pregnancy for reasons I never understood.

One of our cats, Fluffy, was getting ready to have her kittens when she decided she was too nervous to have them in the designated birthing box we had put together for her.  She got out, sat herself on one of my brother's laps and proceeded to have her kittens right there.  He just asked me to get a towel so he could put it under her.

1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

He grew up on a farm so there was some rationale about letting the cat go through one pregnancy for reasons I never understood.

You never understood because it has absolutely no scientific basis (an "old wives tale" of sorts).  In fact, it's healthiest to spay before the first heat.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Eldad of Hope For Paws mostly does dog rescues.  For this gorgeous mama cat rescue and her four kittens in a pipe, it took ingenuity, creativity, and a little engineering to get them all out unharmed.  

• Love 2