Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Race to the Finale

I knew it!  As soon as Molly had first talking head I knew she was gone.  Then she defied Tim and did what she wanted..of course an omen.

Why couldn't both Hawaa and Tieler go?  Why? why?

I hate these freaking season...both adult and junior.

• Love 5

Oh Molly, you didn't need that white sheet of gauze or that pull away surprise skirt . It was boring enough being black and white when I think the judges wanted color. 

I would have sent Tieler home for the fugly outfit and for making his model look so so uncomfortable. Being a guy, he doesn't understand how painful camel toe can be. 

I would have been ok if they had sent Hawwaa home, she does basically the same thing every week. 

I think it's awful to make Tieler and Hawwaa go thru all the work of making a collection and then not letting one of them go all the way to showing at fashion week. 

I am looking forward to what these kids can do on their own. 

• Love 2

Poor Molly deserved better. In my opinion, she was too reserved personality-wise in the minds of the judges and did not get credit for her solid performance. I'm convinced that the kids who had some type of gimmick were favored. You know, like a sprout or scarf or giddiness. It's too bad. 

• Love 16

While I don't disagree with the decisions based on this week's designs, it still seems to me that Hawaa Wendy Pepper'd her way into the finale.  I thought both Molly and Tieler were stand-outs all season and it doesn't seem fair that this one challenge knocks Molly out and puts Tieler in danger.  

• Love 16
35 minutes ago, Beaner said:

Poor Molly deserved better. In my opinion, she was too reserved personality-wise in the minds of the judges and did not get credit for her solid performance. I'm convinced that the kids who had some type of gimmick were favored. You know, like a sprout or scarf or giddiness. It's too bad. 

If Molly'd had a plant sprouting out of her head, clownish makeup and ethnically diverse accessories, or the knack for squealing every five minutes she probably would've made it through. 

• Love 15

Sorry, Molly; your utter scorning of color when the challenge was specifically about COLOR caused your Auf-ing.

I hope I wasn't the only viewer appalled by the camera's intense focus on the crotch of Tieler's model. 

Chris was robbed bigly. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 8

Wow.........that blah, badly fitting thing that Tieler pulled together gets him a (probable) ticket to the final???

Hawwaa does basically the same pieces every time, so she can't really make it with a collection of those can she?  I realize that Kelly and even Ala (is that her name?) love her and/or her stuff for some reason, but I don't think she's that talented.  Definitely can't sew/finish very well.

I agree that Molly missed the boat by having no color, but at least her main garment fit her model.  I think she could have just had a few touches of color from the artwork and she'd have been ok.  Oh, yeah, minus that unnecessary shear cape thing.

I have not been all that impressed by Izzy or Chelsea in the past, but they did a great job of fulfilling the concept of the challenge this time.

I loved Chris's look and think he should have won.

I meant to add, I think they should have critiqued the 3 looks that were the lowest and suggested what the designers could have changed to make them better.

And, then let them all do a creation and then let the best of that effort go to the final.  Eliminating Molly just seemed kind of cruel.

• Love 11

Someone should remind Aya that DIY is exactly what these kids are asked to do every. single. week. but points to her for nailing the perfect description of Izzy's dancing emoji dress.

You'd think these designers had never cut a piece of fabric before, the way they were Freddy Kruger-ing their way through Mood.

Poor Molly; what a kick in teeth to be told the other two were getting to design collections while she was already wallowing in an elimination funk.

At least I know what religion Tieler's model is now...

• Love 2

Guess I'm the only one that actually liked Molly's outfit. Chris should have had the win for sure. I love Chelsea and her dress - but construction wise - Chris nailed it. Not a fan of all the layers on Izzy's dress - light pink and white dragging on the floor - not a hot seller for sure.  I even liked Hawwaa's outfit even tho we have seen similar from her before. It was Tieler's to loose from the get go as far as I was concerned and it seems that he lost it. 

• Love 3

I think this was especially cruel to Molly, and I did not appreciate the way the judges handled that. She was sent to sit while the other two, whose final work was much less finished, were given an extra chance. WTF.

These are teenagers, and some sensitivity would have been appreciated. They have overlooked and dissed Molly all season, as she continues to send well made and finished looks down the runway...and they love Haawaa, who repeats the same tedious color blocking prints with a clown collar? And Tieler?, really I am with Christian on this...white crushed velvet??? And yet these two get a second chance? And Molly gets nada...juniors last season was such a pleasure...this season, it is the same as the adult version...those with a gimmick (tk to the poster above) get the love, despite lousy skills.

Chris, at least in this challenge, should have had the win. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

Eliminating Molly just seemed kind of cruel.

Especially cruel considering they told those kids that TWO were going home.   Now, in addition to the heartbreak that goes with being eliminated, Molly got the additional kick in the pants of knowing that the other person who was supposed to go home was given another chance and she wasn't. 

Personally I'm starting to hate on the judges for all their fake tears at the end.  Either send them home or don't, but don't sit there acting like you're doing it under duress.   Especially you, Kelly No Talent Osborne.  

• Love 10

The recapper included a phrase that popped into my head once I saw the graffiti...Fresh Prince of Belair Reunion.  I was waiting for someone to do "The Carleton" down the runway.  Or for "Parents Just Don't Understand" to be playing in the background.  I guess the outfit Chris created fit the challenge, and the look they were after, but man, that was hideous IMO. And what was with  judge Aya (Ana??) Cosby inspired 90's sweater?? Does know she just works for Seventeen, and isn't supposed to dress like she did when she was 17?

I agree Haawaa has been a kind of "one way monkey" (TM Dmitry- best descriptive tagline ever!) with her blocky 2 pc color and pattern explosions, but why call her out for duplicating her looks while letting Chris slide?  His intentional mismatched pattern pairings have been shown every week as well.  His stuff looks like what happens when you add Garment workers + Gar-animals + Ganja; "Dude! Nothing matches, but everything matches! It's, like, symbolism or something"  Plus, of all the kids, I like Chris the least.  He's talented and probably will do very well, but his personality & his style is not for me.  But I'm old, so...

Love Chelsea, she has been my pick for the win since Day 1.  Ninja indeed!  Izzy's dress was cute this week and she's been consistently showing good stuff.  I feel like Mollyshould have been in the final and send Haawaa home.  If they are looking across all the kids' efforts through the weeks, Molly had better stuff than Haawaa, Molly wasn't in the bottom and her pieces always looked more polished and finished.  I say "if"  because during judging, they mentioned how Tieler had success through the whole season and wanting to see more from him.  To me, that means that they are looking at the kids' talent and outfits as a whole vs. basing the auf-ing on the current week's challenge.  In the past, I think I read somewhere that the judges on PR (& Top Chef and other competition shows...) look at the current challenge and don't let past efforts influence their decision.  But based on some of the winner/loser picks from these judges, I don't think they really apply that criteria fairly and consistently.

Edited by BusyOctober
Molly not Ally
  • Love 2

Tieler choked. That was a real shame. Unbelievable to me that Izzy is safe, Molly is gone, and Tieler is on the bubble.

I get the judges wanted color, but I don't understand why. The backgrounds were so insanely colorful, a primarily solid color outfit was a good contrast.

• Love 9

I'm not all that upset over Molly. First, PR does this thing where two people are pitted in a death match all the time. If she's ever seen the show before, she would know it's not personal. It's just about making good TV Second, Molly has consistently made finished clothes, but I don't think she's hit on fashion too often. Even this week looked like something you could buy at Urban Outfitters. Her Unconventional Grass shorts and top were probably the most successful thing she made all season and that was weeks ago. She never uses colour, even in a theme like this one where colour is called for. And while I think she's skilled at construction, I think many of her pieces look dated or old. Even the lacy while flower thing from last week, while impeccably cut was paired with shiny white wide pants that made no sense. 

3 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

I get the judges wanted color, but I don't understand why. The backgrounds were so insanely colorful, a primarily solid color outfit was a good contrast.

For the sake of the pictures, I do agree. We all saw how Tieler's look popped against his background but the judging all takes place in person and there colour is always going to beat black. Design details show more in colour, you can create blocking and shapes with colour, and colour is just more vibrant and pleasing to the eye. The pictures were only up for a second, the actual designs were there in front of the judges the whole time. People respond to what's actually in front of them far more than a picture. Designers on PR in general who cleave to black or black and white are doing themselves a disservice because judges responding to colour has been pretty consistent over the history of all versions of this show.

• Love 3

I'll be even more emphatic: Molly, in her pleasant and unassuming manner, was DEFIANT. THAT is why she got no mercy. There's no "poor Molly" here. There's no "cruel" here. Did she "add just a few touches of color"? NO.

sleepyjean: 

I thought the task was to create a colorful outfit inspired by the artwork, an outfit that could stand up to the boldness, not merely be a stark monotone contrast, and definitely not in BLACK. Tim DID advise Molly, no?

I had been for Tieler all the way, thought the judges were prudish about his Milan look, but tonight? Not a good series of decisions.

So Chris FTW!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was rolling my eyes at Aya saying, "My heart is literally breaking." No, it's not.

Is that because she doesn't have one? Just kidding! I hate color for the sake of color, and graffiti clothes are so five years ago, so I liked Molly's better than the winning look.

11 hours ago, vibeology said:

Tieler  has been working with his model all season, right? How in the last two weeks has he totally been unable to fit her?

And she has NO shape, bless her heart, that would need to be worked around! Last week he shows us her top, this week her bottom, what if he DID get to show a collection! His models might be able to file a class action suit afterward!

• Love 6

I really liked Molly's outfit and she is my favorite of the designers this season. I thought her look did look nice against the colorful background. However, if they were told to use color, she should have used color. I wish Tim could have told her that she needed some color-maybe he did and it wasn't shown. I thought Chris had a cool outfit that seemed to fit the graffiti background the best. I didn't like the winning dress, it looked tacked together and tacky. The pink dress with the train looked like it would also have fit in Seventeen magazine.

Tieler's outfit was really bad and badly sewn. Hawaa's outfits all look the same to me-patchwork. Maybe that kind of mixing is in style right now, I don't know. It was kind of cute seeing Tim behind the counter at Mood.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

I meant to add, I think they should have critiqued the 3 looks that were the lowest and suggested what the designers could have changed to make them better.

And, then let them all do a creation and then let the best of that effort go to the final.  Eliminating Molly just seemed kind of cruel.

This would have been perfect but there was no time.   Just choose the final 3 and say we are also judging on your body of work and be done with it.  They are going to choose Tieler (why do parents do that) anyway.  

Molly was the most conservative so I understand why they auffed her, I was not surprised.  They want collections with a punch and that is not Molly.  

Hawwa has done the same damn thing every damn time.  The way she presents herself is a red flag on  questionable taste level, as well.  I really love funky counter culture looks (my dress reflects that in a 70 year old way) but her not hip eye make up, hideous hijabs do not radiate designer.  I thought one thing she made was pretty nifty (black and red shorts, yellow jacket).

Chelsea is adorable and I liked her leather dress.     

The first season of Juniors was excellent.  The cast this year did not pull me in.  

I love Kelly and her genuine caring for those kids.  She is on her way to shaving her entire head.  The top piece keeps getting smaller.  

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I hated Tieler's, but I like him so much I want him to stay.

The judges said the look worked against the background so I think if it had fit better, he'd have been in.  I do like him too and my fingers are crossed.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, mamadrama said:

If Molly'd had a plant sprouting out of her head, clownish makeup and ethnically diverse accessories, or the knack for squealing every five minutes she probably would've made it through. 

I don't think so whatsoever.

Tieler seems like such a good person.

I really got goosebumps when I saw Chris's outfit come down the runway.  I wanted the coat thing so bad and yet I think I'm probably too old to wear it.  Would still buy.  

I was rolling my eyes at Aya saying, "My heart is literally breaking." No, it's not.

She really pissed me off.  I know people who have passed away from heart problems.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Can anyone explain to me why Hawwaa is in the finals despite finishing in the bottom quite a few times this season, and comments from the judges that she's basically a one trick pony and can't possibly design an entire runway show with what she's shown them for the entire season?  She has absolutely no place in the finals, but there has to be a reason why she was kept in spite of the REAL fact that other designers have a lot more talent than her.  Tim Gunn really screwed the pooch when he gave his Tim Gunn Save to Aka'i a few weeks ago, maybe he could have saved Molly?  And as for Molly, I went back and read older posts from this season and everyone here seems to have agreed that Molly was one of the designers who would go all the way. 

I just don't get this judging.  Molly, by far, is a better designer than Hawwaa, yet she gets thrown to the curb and one trick pony gets to the finals.  Doesn't make sense on any level.  I'm just wondering if Hawwaa's "look" added into the decision to keep her?  

• Love 10
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ha!

I find I really don't care about the trials and tribulations of these kids anymore and I just FF to the runway.

And even then, my only response was: 

Is that judge whose heart was "quite literally breaking" dead now?

• Love 3

If Tieler's outfit would have fit, he would have been in, no question. But they knew that giving the finale slot to Hawwaa was just not going to work considering her lack of finishing skills and designing the same outfit every week. So manufacturing a challenge will give Tieler an opportunity to be in the finale and sewing anything decent will get him in.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, candall said:

Is that judge whose heart was "quite literally breaking" dead now?

One of my all-time favorite book titles by Cynthia Heimel (Carrie Bradshaw BEFORE there was a Carrie Bradshaw, but don't get me started...) is "If You Couldn't Live Without Me Why Aren't You Dead Yet?" ! Thanks for reminding me of that!

• Love 7

Hawwaa really needs to drop the eye-rolling.  It is such an ugly thing to do.  And based upon her comment, she knows nothing about India or the culture there.

I haven't been impressed with anything Tieler has done all season, so the last two weeks doesn't surprise me at all.  I would have been happy with only 3 going into the finale.  Although, one of those people should have been Molly.

Chris has made ugly crap all season and tonight was no exception.  I thought his model was a man when she first started walking down the runway.  Seriously, dude, how do you make a beautiful woman look like a man.

Can't wait for this season to be over and I don't know/care who's going to win.  None of them are even close to the worst designer they had in season 1.  This show really did go downhill fast.

Edited by Canada
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, vibeology said:

Tieler  has been working with his model all season, right? How in the last two weeks has he totally been unable to fit her?

I had that same thought too, but I think maybe it's because most of Tieler's other designs have been more boxy looking and not so fitted. Still, it was kind of surprising to me too! I really felt bad for his poor model two weeks in a row!

I much prefer Tieler's sweet personality to Hawwaa's death glares (and she does seem to be a bit of a one-way monkey (hee-hee)), so I hope he makes it to the finale. Hopefully with the additional time they have he'll avoid any further fit issues. I hope he amps it up a bit though - I find some of his designs a little too bland. I'd like to see him do more stuff like the design he (and Molly) did for the Avante Garde challenge.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Knuckles said:

I think this was especially cruel to Molly, and I did not appreciate the way the judges handled that. She was sent to sit while the other two, whose final work was much less finished, were given an extra chance. WTF.

These are teenagers, and some sensitivity would have been appreciated. They have overlooked and dissed Molly all season, as she continues to send well made and finished looks down the runway...and they love Haawaa, who repeats the same tedious color blocking prints with a clown collar? And Tieler?, really I am with Christian on this...white crushed velvet??? And yet these two get a second chance? And Molly gets nada...juniors last season was such a pleasure...this season, it is the same as the adult version...those with a gimmick (tk to the poster above) get the love, despite lousy skills.

Chris, at least in this challenge, should have had the win. 

This show does something to my heart. I feel stuff, I guess is what it is, and so I too thought it was unnecessarily cruel.  "We could only agree on one thing- you sucked the worst. Now go sit." On original flavor PR, or other shows, I'd be totally down with that, and I don't think the difference for me is the age category. I think these are just nice people (for now), so the typical reality tv fuckery doesn't feel as deserved. I even think that about Hawa, who hasn't made a positive impression on me at all.

Is it just me, or has Christian seemed to lose his joy? It's weird.

I'm up for any of them winning, and am rooting for Chelsea. Tieler has a great typical reality-tv show comeback story brewing, though.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I knew it!  As soon as Molly had first talking head I knew she was gone.  Then she defied Tim and did what she wanted..of course an omen.

Why couldn't both Hawaa and Tieler go?  Why? why?

I hate these freaking season...both adult and junior.

Hawaa: has questionable taste, lacks basic sewing skills, and has spent a considerable portion of the contest on the bottom. 

Molly: is representing a teen who is opposed to color (and is thus very relevant to any teen related products and thus advertisers), has impeccable sewing skills, and has spent the majority of the contest on top. 

Tieler: choked the last two weeks, but, the judges have taken his entire body of work this season into consideration. 

Yup. Send Molly home. Makes sense to me. /sarc. 

• Love 15

I was relieved that Tielor's still in the running. I know last night's look was fitted horribly, but I still think he's one of the better designers. I always let my feelings about the designers get in the way, though. Tielor seems like such a good kid.

OTOH, I find Chelsea really hard to take. She seems like a sweet girl, but (I'm channeling Lou Grant now), perky gets on my nerves.

Ditto for Izzy.

I'd have put Tielor, Chris, and Molly in the final. But I'm never right about PR. I have the feeling it'll come down to Chelsea or Izzy.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ArcticGurl said:

Tieler: choked the last two weeks, but, the judges have taken his entire body of work this season into consideration. 

That, and his theatrical tears.

4 hours ago, phoenix780 said:

Not really.   I was very excited for this season, since Season 1 was so good.   I looked forward to it replacing all the bad recent memories of the mother ship show (or shit show, I should say).   Unfortunately this season of Jr. has been a tedious, uninspired bore populated by kids with little or no talent, experience or basic taste, who go at everything as if Youtube is watching them.    Not so much of that in the first season.   Awareness of the camera was eclipsed by the joy they felt making things and the camaraderie of being in the company of other kids who shared their passion.   I don't sense any of that this time around.   Maybe Christian doesn't either.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Definitely! Any version of Runway is a 16 minute show for me.

Count me in.  I started fast-forwarding to the runway for a while now too.  In addition to the boring process and needless drama, there are the in-show promotions for the advertiser of the week.  Not worth my time.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, millennium said:

That, and his theatrical tears

Tieler and his theatrical EVERYTHING drives me crazy!!  His stupid hands-up-praise-to-god routine with every little announcement is so irritating.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Canada said:

Tieler and his theatrical EVERYTHING drives me crazy!!  His stupid hands-up-praise-to-god routine with every little announcement is so irritating.

If one's faith is truly the reason, that's fine. To me he seems to be, as you said, theatrical about it and totally without grace. 

Reserved Molly seemed like the only genuine participant this season. I may be missing others, honestly I couldn't even be bothered learning their names this season. I only learned some of their names today to comment. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

One of my all-time favorite book titles by Cynthia Heimel (Carrie Bradshaw BEFORE there was a Carrie Bradshaw, but don't get me started...) is "If You Couldn't Live Without Me Why Aren't You Dead Yet?" ! Thanks for reminding me of that!

No, no, thank YOU for reminding me.  I have both If You Can't Live Without Me . . . and another one, Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye.  (Where are those?  Somewhere around here . . .)

I also used to read her column in my dad's Playboys when he was napping.

Ha!  Good times.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, phoenix780 said:

This is only based on my own psyche, but I think Christian might be feeling out of step with the sob sister judges.  Yeesh, so much brushing away tears and tender inquiries:  Are you all right, honey?  (While the camera zooms in and everyone pauses, waiting for the choked response.)

I think, if I were one of those kids, I would find it easier to hold myself together (until I got offstage) if the judges would continue paying me the respect of speaking to me as if I were a clothing designer instead of a wee child in need of comforting.

Edited by candall
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, ArcticGurl said:
2 hours ago, Canada said:

If one's faith is truly the reason, that's fine. To me he seems to be, as you said, theatrical about it and totally without grace. 

This is why I prefer Chelsea to Izzy. I think Chelsea has been more low key and the few times that she has gotten a little loud, she seemed sincere in her surprise or frustration. Izzy, on the other hand, seems like a LOOK AT ME drama queen who makes noise just to get attention. And I say that as someone who was in a musical in high school so I spent several months with overdramatic kids. There are definitely people who do it intentionally and  then there are people who are genuinely perplexed someone points out how loud they are. But looking at their designs this week, I could see either of them in Seventeen.

• Love 4

Molly gave me such a Melissa Fleis, Junior vibe in her exit interview. I'd had her pegged as a finalist, but wasn't that inspired by this week's look. 

I loved Chris and Chelsea's looks. Izzy's was too over the top for me. I liked Hawwaa's leaf jacket better than this week's look, but I'm not upset that she's staying around. I liked Tieler a lot at the beginning, but the act (the editing?) is wearing a little thin. Surprising myself, I'd actually be really happy for Chris to win... but would be okay with any of them.