Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Chapter 1

Tara Ariano

It's shows like this that make me happy I'm not a fanboy/fangirl type.

I had no inkling this show was in production, or had even been conceived.   It was recommended by someone close to me whose opinion I value, so I checked it out on Hulu.   I really liked Dan Stevens in Downton Abbey -- in fact, AFAIC, when Matthew died, the show died with him -- but for the first half of Legion I didn't realize the actor on the screen was Dan Stevens.   He's older and more gaunt than Matthew, the accent is concealed.   Where Matthew was self-assured, David is out of his skull.   In my blissful rumor/spoiler/trailer-free ignorance I avoided all the agonizing over whether Dan Stevens would be able to pull off a role like this.   Instead, I find myself surprised and just completely blown away by his versatility.   The dance number alone was worth the price of admission, not to mention his dry delivery of lines like "Yeah, but you don't have to be a dick about it."

I only hope the  show can live up to the promise of this stunning first episode.  

Edited by millennium
  • Love 6

Okay so watching more closely the Shadow King/Yellow-Eyed Devil is in the background of the very opening when David tried to hang himself, not just in the memory flashback. This time I made a gif. Watch the doorway behind David. Creepy as hell:

• Love 3
On 2/23/2017 at 3:13 PM, PatternRec said:

Not so much up close, but in some promo shots and such she reminded me of the blonde from Crazyhead. 

She shines in repose, I feel (it seems hilariously that whenever i pause the DVR it's coincidentally smack on Rachel's face).  (Not that she's not beautiful when mobile, but some people are more attractive in stills and vice versa.)

(edited)

I'm a little late to the show... but...

The ending was epic.

I loved David's sister removing the saws and tools from the room after that first little accident.

Again, I barely started, but I'm taking it Jean Smart's character isn't going to be as benevolent as it seems they tried setting her up to be at the end there?

A little surprised they revealed the happenings of the big accident in the same episode.

Edited by CyberJawa1986
Edits and Stuff, Yo'!
  • Love 1

Just finished the first episode.  My initial thought is that perhaps I am too stupid for this show.  I had absolutely no idea what was going on... it was like one long strange head trip.

I thought about giving up midway through.  But then Dan Stevens and that girl did that crazy dance to that French song, and I was like, um, OK, might stick around.  That dance was hilarious.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Just finished the first episode.  My initial thought is that perhaps I am too stupid for this show.  I had absolutely no idea what was going on... it was like one long strange head trip.

I thought about giving up midway through.  But then Dan Stevens and that girl did that crazy dance to that French song, and I was like, um, OK, might stick around.  That dance was hilarious.

It's not you. The rest of us are four episodes in and still scratching our heads, but it's fun trying to keep up. It helps that the show's "reality" is always in question because you can try to figure out as much as you can or you can just be along for the ride. If you have time, try getting caught up to episode four. I think by then you'll have a decent idea of what's going on in and outside of David's head and whether the show is for you.

• Love 1

Just watched this last night; I had been grabbing dinner at an Italian "family style" place in my neighborhood, and they were playing I think episode 2 of this show on one of the TVs.  Glimpses of it looked intriguing, I asked what it was, and the bartender said it was the second episode of "Legion" and that he'd seen the first episode and it was good.  So I checked it out when I got home, and... yeah, I'm in.  

Granted, like a lot of you- and from @coppersin's  post just above this one- I'm a little wary that it'll just be unsatisfying misdirect and head games, and I am still confused as to what the whole body switching with Syd thing was about and which parts of that were "real".  The "unreliable narrator/narrative" gotcha games I tolerated it with Mr. Robot seasons 1 and 2 because it was so exceptional a show in literally every other way, and I did love Fargo season 1 (still haven't seen s2, unless it's finally out on Amazon or Hulu?), so I'm giving it a chance on pedigree and first impressions.

To me- having no idea who the character is in comics- it seemed pretty obvious that most of the "mutants", and possibly most of the "patients", were just aspects of David's psyche made real.  The show is called "Legion" after all, it's not exactly a giant leap. :)  I assumed Clockworks was never a mental hospital, but the facility where "they" had kept David to study him for 5 years/260 weeks (we see the whole "backstage" replete with armed guards when they're interviewing him), while keeping him sedated and confused as to where he is.  That is, until with the Syd incident he showcased too much power, and they became worried he would pose a clear danger to the world in a "sent to the corn fields" kind of way.  Given how many powers he showed off, and how easily he seemed to break out and work seamlessly with his different aspects, he is an absurdly powerful mutant.  I still have flashbacks to how badly "Heroes" botched having ludicrously overpowered people like Sylar, Peter, and Hiro, so I'm hoping Noah Hawley can steer the ship right.