Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Not Everything's About Annelise

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, Milaxx said:

I don't know if we're speaking past each other, but there are many overlapping reasons why this pairing in particular may or may not work for some. Besides the 2 you mentioned, there's also the Alfie fans who have loved him since he was on HP and felt he was the heart and center of the show.

As for the questioning of racial/cultural issues, that comes pretty much any show under the Shondaland umbrella. They are almost always going to feature multi-cultural cast with LGBTQ cast and characters. I think it's intentional on the part of the writer's and showrunners to make us the viewing audience question and examine how we perceive these things and perhaps learn a little something.

Personally I think show often waivers between procedural show, whodunit mystery and drama, depending on the day. I think the show often says or does  things to get a discussion going but it  depends on our own personal baggage as to what sparks our attention. 

I had never seen Alfie before, yet felt the show very clearly made him the heart and the center of the show.

Regarding Shonda pushing the audience past racial prejudices, I thought it was pretty stupid to have Annalise in a cell with two other black women.  In fact, when she was being bullied by the entire group, I think I saw one white face.   I love Rose from Lost, but can't they have cast the other part as a white trash woman.  I know that blacks are disproportionately convicted of crimes, but there are plenty of white women in jail, too.  It just reinforced a stereotype, and it irritated me.  Probably just me.

I don't care for the procedural part of the show.  They used to do the same on Grey's, and very well, IMO.  But now it's just the COW and there's little investment in the client/patient.  They need to build a case over weeks, and hire much, much better actors than last season's Caleb and Catherine.  I really can't stand when a case is introduced at the beginning of the episode, and wrapped up at the end.  But the long-building cases add flavor to the which of K5 hasn't committed a murder yet thing.  Have they done either of these this half of the season?  It's been all about Anna's arrest. 

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:15 PM, doram said:

Yeah, it's hard to argue that Rebecca was pretty much universally hated during her run.

Seems I'm the only one, but I didn't hate Rebecca.  I sort of enjoyed how frazzled she made the K5, and she was the only character who didn't seem intimidated by or submissive to Annalise.  This isn't to say I liked her, but I didn't hate her.  Her death bothered me more than any other.  Hearing her promise to be good broke my heart a little.  It was the abused child coming out in her.  Strangely, it hasn't affected my Bonnie love. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Milaxx said:

I feel like they were trying to echo her "unmasking" wig reveal from season 1. That's not to say the other reasons folks cited are incorrect, but at the heart of it, stripped down AK is Anna Mae at her most basic, this is who I really am level. Not just rich vs poor, but Anna Mae without all the accouterments that she uses to project an image to the world.

Yep, and it also brings to mind the scene of AK's mom brushing her (natural) hair and reminiscing about when she was just plain old Anna Mae.

• Love 1

What happened to the twerp who posted the flyers calling Annalise a killer? We haven't seen him since the hiatus, nor heard what happened to him after he left. It's like the show forgot he existed. I don't even remember there being a very good explanation for why he hated her so much and posted the flyers. I remember he wanted to be part of the inside group, and he was angry that he wasn't. But leaping from that to posting the flyers to me is unbalanced. Maybe he is the "anonymous tip" or the arsonist.

17 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Seems I'm the only one, but I didn't hate Rebecca.  I sort of enjoyed how frazzled she made the K5, and she was the only character who didn't seem intimidated by or submissive to Annalise.  This isn't to say I liked her, but I didn't hate her.  Her death bothered me more than any other.  Hearing her promise to be good broke my heart a little.  It was the abused child coming out in her.  Strangely, it hasn't affected my Bonnie love. 

I have nothing to add really, just that these are my exact feelings about Rebecca (and Bonnie) and you worded them wonderfully and more succinctly than I could. So, uh, same.

• Love 2

I think the actress just rubbed me the wrong way. I could never get Wes going so hard for someone who was so nasty to him from the very beginning and I never managed to find the one thing to make her sympathetic as a character. She was complicit in Lila's murder, drugged her neighbor & then had him hospitalized to cover her tracks and then proceeded to be nasty to all of the K5 and AK when they were trying to help her. I understand having a crappy childhood, but so did Wes, Bonnie, Frank and AK. I think Bonnie just recognized her brand of crazy and decided she needed to go.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 2