Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: An Agent Of The Machine

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

A week off before this airs:

The team is on high alert when a previous incident during a fire call leaves a dangerous man on the loose with a vendetta to target Lt. Casey and Firehouse 51, and prompts CPD to step in. Dennis Mack, a buddy firefighter of Severide's father, comes to town to shadow the squad but may have ulterior motives. Meanwhile, Brett and Antonio's relationship hits some bumps in the road when his ex-wife Laura surfaces and Casey has a present for Dawson.

Can anyone tell me when the real Chicago Fire is going to air?  This episode lasted an entire hour without Gabby doing anything heroic, outlandish, or even significant.  They gave Sylvie and actual storyline, for Pete's sake!

I laughed at the structure assessment when they got on scene.  "No fire, just smoke".  Uh, guys?  Something I remember about smoke and fire.  What was it? But hey, they finally showed some water being pumped through a hoseline.

Note to Casey:  We know you want to do the ring thing right, but, as a PR move, it's a really bad idea to buy alcohol with your uniform jacket on.

I thought the Springfield chief's ankle thing was going to go somewhere, but the whole charade was to present Severide with a life-changing choice.  Don't do it, Kelly.  There's a nuclear power plant just outside town with this guy named Homer in charge of safety.  And the rest of the town has been exposed to that plant for way too long also, if you ask me.

• Love 8

I'll have to remember we get unlimited wedding/engagement/proposal do-overs next time things get boring with Mr MML. Stupid, Show.

dowel jones, stop it!!! You are too funny and I wish I could like that Springfield comment x 1000.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Can anyone tell me when the real Chicago Fire is going to air?  This episode lasted an entire hour without Gabby doing anything heroic, outlandish, or even significant.  They gave Sylvie and actual storyline, for Pete's sake!

Lol! Gabby didn't do anything heroic but she made Casey agree to watch some dumb chick flick and that's something, if you ask me...and generally speaking, she still had more screen time than any other show regular. This was def the Dawsons hour 'cause we saw not only Gabby and her big bro Antonio but also his ex-wife and his son...I was fully expecting to see Ma and Pa Dawson to appear in a sort of weird family reunion, hehe

btw, the writing continues to be terribly inconsistent! Sylvie asked the pillar of wisdom Gabby if it was too early for her and Antonio to date. I thought she'd reply that they've been divorced for two years already. But the writers made it look like it was still fresh...

• Love 1

Well they sure got over the loss of Louie pretty quick, not that I'm complaining. But the show still revolves too heavily around Dawson, Casey and Severide. They really need to give the other characters something to do.  We're in the fifth season of this show, and we see Capp and Tony in every episode and we still know nothing about them. Zip. Nada. And once in awhile they throw a bone to Cruz or Mouch but it's played as a one-off  and/or for laughs.

And I don't feel like the show spent enough time on Sylvie and Antonio for me to care one way or another about them. Maybe this relationship was something that crossed over into Chicago PD but I don't watch that show. In fact I still feel like we had a better sense of who Shay was than who Sylvie Brett is and she's been on the show longer now.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Well they sure got over the loss of Louie pretty quick, not that I'm complaining. But the show still revolves too heavily around Dawson, Casey and Severide. They really need to give the other characters something to do.  We're in the fifth season of this show, and we see Capp and Tony in every episode and we still know nothing about them. Zip. Nada. And once in awhile they throw a bone to Cruz or Mouch but it's played as a one-off  and/or for laughs.

And I don't feel like the show spent enough time on Sylvie and Antonio for me to care one way or another about them. Maybe this relationship was something that crossed over into Chicago PD but I don't watch that show. In fact I still feel like we had a better sense of who Shay was than who Sylvie Brett is and she's been on the show longer now.

True that. Also it's sad that Mouch, Otis, Cruz, Capp still serve only as a comic relief of the show and Hermann ofc once in a while as a motivational speaker. An ordinary storyline about ordinary people can be interesting too.

I feel like Brett was used only to give other characters a storyline and there were very few episodes where she was on focus and that's why we know so little abouy her. It's a shame because I actually think that she is ok.

• Love 1

Also it's sad that Mouch, Otis, Cruz, Capp still serve only as a comic relief of the show and Hermann ofc once in a while as a motivational speaker. An ordinary storyline about ordinary people can be interesting too.

They used to do a better job of this. Herrmann, Otis and Dawson had an ongoing story about Molly's bar, and Cruz had that story about his brother. Now all any of them get is a one-off episode or two like Mouch writing that romance novel with Brett. Herrmann, Otis and Cruz haven't had anything to do in ages. It's all Casey and Dawson and Severide, all the time. Hell Boden doesn't even have a story going on. I feel so bad for the actors. I know they're getting a paycheck but it must be discouraging to show up every week, look at the script and go "Oh, look, I got two whole lines this week."

It may be a thing of the way past, but I'm curious.  In the past, paramedics did not pronounce victims dead in the field.  They had to perform due diligence and deliver them to the hospital for a doctor to do the formal pronouncing. Has this changed over the years?  Anyone know?

It might have been a Gabby-light episode but remember Herrmann's pronouncement in Molly's that Gabby & Matt are the ultimate models of timeless and enduring love...mostly because of Gabby, of course.  Next week she cures cancer.

I don't think Gabby or Brett were "officially" pronouncing him dead, just saying it to whoever was standing there. I did wonder whether or not they still had to take him to the hospital, or whether they just called the coroner to come make it official, sign a certificate then call a morgue. Don't know how it works.

Edited by iMonrey

Most EMS agencies operate under protocols that require medics to get the authorization of the hospital to stop lifesaving work, unless the patient is undeniably dead, i.e., decapitation or other fatal injury, rigor mortis, etc.  The medics/firefighters have the option of not starting CPR, as happened on one run I was involved in (and believe me, I was second guessing myself a lot), but once started, BLS and ALS have to be continued until a doctor says no.  The EKG can be transmitted to the hospital to facilitate a decision.  However, Chicago Fire apparently operates on the Gabby Protocols, so anything could happen.

On 2/10/2017 at 3:19 PM, limecoke said:

It might have been a Gabby-light episode but remember Herrmann's pronouncement in Molly's that Gabby & Matt are the ultimate models of timeless and enduring love...mostly because of Gabby, of course.  Next week she cures cancer.

Yeah, gotta love Christopher with his long-term marriage and amazing wife and kids holding up Gabby as the model of a perfect marriage.  I hope Cindy gets wind and makes him sleep on the couch for awhile.

• Love 3
On 08/02/2017 at 2:15 AM, Dowel Jones said:

Note to Casey:  We know you want to do the ring thing right, but, as a PR move, it's a really bad idea to buy alcohol with your uniform jacket on.

I thought the Springfield chief's ankle thing was going to go somewhere, but the whole charade was to present Severide with a life-changing choice.  Don't do it, Kelly.  There's a nuclear power plant just outside town with this guy named Homer in charge of safety.  And the rest of the town has been exposed to that plant for way too long also, if you ask me.

Also being a fire chief in Springfield would mean regular dealings with both the mayor and the chief of police,  and both are terrible.

Also if Antonio's wife is like that I am surprised that their marriage lasted that long. I mean even if Brett was terrible at watching a kid (who was a teen, it is not like he was a baby) that kid's own aunt was in the same building. 

On 2017-02-08 at 2:15 AM, Dowel Jones said:

Don't do it, Kelly.  There's a nuclear power plant just outside town with this guy named Homer in charge of safety.  And the rest of the town has been exposed to that plant for way too long also, if you ask me.

Ha-ha!