Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: O, Farewell, Honest Soldier

I'd like to say I was wrong,but they telegraphed the "big Robert secret" since he got back, so there are no surprises here.  Liam the hero, the truth seeker, the "good brother," I can't stand it .  Only even more nauseating because he has his faithful sidekick Jasper helping him to save the day.  I find them both annoying and not very interesting.  Eleanor needs a strong man,and  Jasper is just not it.  This just sealed it for me, if there is a season 4 I think I am out.  I can't take a season of Liam taking down the big bad Robert because you know, HE should be King!  

There is no imagination with these writers.   The only thing I agree with regarding Liam is the negative things about Cyrus did not need to be said.  I can deal with Robert not being perfect and having some manipulative qualities.  There is no need to make him evil.  My prediction was always that they would say he had something to do with his father's death and that he could have been off the island long ago. 

So are we to believe that Robert needed Liam to tell him what to say?  

I was hoping Robert had left the bed and found Liam's shirt.  Kathryn is just useless. 

Good for Willow!  

• Love 4

Liam's being a punk ass and I really hate it. It's not like Robert asked him to lie about Cyrus. The only thing surprising about this is that 1) while I do think 99% of the reason why Liam didn't do as he was told was because he was jealous, he actually did make sense: negativity wasn't the right angle, and 2) asking Liam to do that apparently wasn't a test on Robert's part (because he had to know that Eleanor would happily oblige in trashing Cyrus). Guess he thought he succeeded in redirecting Liam's anger away from him. Now Jasper's got some info about Robert that Liam is itching to hear about... it's amazing how quickly they turned the lovable (but dull) protagonist into such a piece of shit. Robert as well, now going from pompous but seemingly decent, to angry and nasty. So that makes three pissy characters we have to watch... joy.

catrice2, I was thinking the big secret would be that Robert avoided being rescued, or that perhaps he put the hit out on himself because the pressure was too much, but if it turns out that he somehow orchestrated his father's death... I mean, that would be juicy, lol. He did say the crown was for taking, and if Cyrus is on his way out, then I guess we'd need another villain (I don't really want one but with the domino thing done with, we need something I suppose). But I would hate it because I know that would be the show's way of saying, "Liam's still our guy!" and they've made him into too much of a douche to go, "heck yeah he is!"

I was surprised to see Liam and Willow being so pleasant with each other, I would have thought they'd be a little cool or awkward. I'm glad she told him they should keep it professional. I'm annoyed that Liam's douchebaggery ruined them, and now Robert's being a power-hungry jerk so that turns me off to them as well. I kept expecting Liam to interrupt Robert and Katherine's midnight meeting, when's that secret going to be revealed? I bet Katherine will end up disliking "King Robert" and she'll fall back in with Liam, who also can't stand him. As for Eleanor and Jasper, I'm so happy she chose herself over him (and that it wasn't about Sebastian or some other love interest). I'm excited that she's going to pursue that hotel design job and seemingly head in a different direction than her mother has (nice mother-daughter bonding in this episode, appreciated that).

I wish they had held off on showing Robert offering to rehire Jasper because that took all the tension out of things (even though I knew Robert would be named King; why bring him back only to keep Cyrus?). I think it's ridiculous that Robert would want to keep Jasper on. Yeah, sure, he worked hard to find information about Ted but Jasper's only there in the first place because he intended to rob them, and the only reason he didn't is because he fell in love with Eleanor. He's a liability. Plus, if Robert's so protective of Eleanor, he shouldn't want Jasper anywhere near her. But the actor's attractive and Jasper/Eleanor has a huge following, so let's not worry about any of that. I'm just glad Hill made it clear how massively he fucked up (that he nearly made an orphan out of an innocent child) and that his inability to trust anyone is a major problem (for real, he should have just told Eleanor to begin with). And I loved that Rosie was competent again and handled Jasper like a boss.

Oh yeah, and I noticed they muted Cyrus dropping an F-bomb... I've heard that the reason why cable shows avoid profanity is because of advertisers but I wish they would have let that one slide. Cyrus was rather silly to think that targeting one person on the council would be enough to secure his place.

I didn't realize we were already at the last episode! So we're waiting to find out Robert's big secret and hopefully Cyrus murdering that guy in the season opener will come up again. According to the promo, it seems Cyrus might decide to kill Robert rather than himself but I have a feeling he won't do either.

I have to say, I'm glad next week is the finale. This season has been boring & weak IMO. The show has lost all it's fun & is just tedious now. I don't know if I'll be back for another season.

• Love 1

I think it's ridiculous that Robert would want to keep Jasper on. Yeah, sure, he worked hard to find information about Ted but Jasper's only there in the first place because he intended to rob them, and the only reason he didn't is because he fell in love with Eleanor. He's a liability. Plus, if Robert's so protective of Eleanor, he shouldn't want Jasper anywhere near her

Maybe Robert already figured out that Jasper knows his big secret and wants to keep his (potential) enemy close.

• Love 1

It would be awesome if somehow if Robert's Big  Secret is TOO evil for him  to become King, that the show could skip over pouting Liam and give the crown to Eleanor! I mean, it's fiction anyway. There might be some loophole that disqualifies Liam. I did like Jasper's Farewell Tour of the Palace. We should have seen him drop in on the kitchen  and maybe the cleaning staff along the way.

I knew Helena wasn't leaving, but I don't see the point of making the trip an "ultimatum". Just go next week when everything's done. These people. Just as I don't see Eleanor leaving either, which is another reason to place her on the throne.

• Love 2

The plot and timelines here seem even more unbelievable than usual. First of all, I thought Jasper quit after he broke up with Eleanor and disappeared, but apparently he just took some time off and now wants to wander back to work? Pretty sure if you date your employer and then dump her unceremoniously, it's time for a new job no matter what you did or didn't steal. Secondly, the whole country knows that the Privy Council is meeting to determine if Robert should take over - if you're sitting on some giant scandal that would impact their decision, don't you maybe want to have that conversation with Liam before the bells start chiming?

• Love 2

This show is ridiculous - clearly they built Robert up so much that now, only utter character assassination will do in order to put Liam on the throne.  It's so stupid - sad, soap opera level plot driven drivel.

There was/is no need to drag Robert down.  I do think Liam was right in what he said to Robert about "going high" but Liam was a jerk for not simply standing up and telling the truth about Cyrus.  Eleanor was RIGHT to do what she did - Liam was just trying to be "noble" but really he was just trying to undermine his brother.  Instead of saying what Robert wanted him to say, Liam could have easily said nice things about why Robert was the right choice.  Instead, he passive aggressively says nothing, which said EVERYTHING.

And if they "reveal" that Robert had something to do with Simon's death I call foul, since the guy who downed Robert's plane had NO knowledge of that - and WE SAW ON VIDEOTAPE that Ted Price killed Simon. Robert was still on the island when that happened - it would be a huge plot hole to suddenly make him the bad guy just so Liam could have the throne.

I HATE IT when writers don't know how to elevate their fave character without destroying someone else.

And Liam basically listened to CYRUS in preaching to Robert about how difficult situations show your best or worst.  In all the things Liam could remember at the moment of truth, THAT'S what he remembers of Cyrus?  After EVERYTHING Cyrus has done?  Come on!  Worse - Liam has been showing us his worst ALL SEASON long.

The only good moment we got from Liam was when he tried to get Robert to back off of going dirty with Cyrus - when honestly that's not even going dirty.  It's telling the truth.  

I guess the show will never reveal that Cyrus literally killed a man.

I just am hating the show tearing down Robert to prop Liam up.  It's simply bad storytelling.  I am now hoping this season is the last one.

15 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

Maybe Robert already figured out that Jasper knows his big secret and wants to keep his (potential) enemy close.

It would have been easier to simply have him thrown in jail and locked away though.

I don't think the secret is anything that Robert knows - it's probably his paternity.  There is no way the show could write him in as co-conspirator in his own father's death that wouldn't simply look like a terrible plot contrivance to make Liam "win".  For one, the timeline doesn't match and two, we know Ted Price acted alone.  Robert killing his own father?  No.

22 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I'd like to say I was wrong,but they telegraphed the "big Robert secret" since he got back, so there are no surprises here.  Liam the hero, the truth seeker, the "good brother," I can't stand it .  Only even more nauseating because he has his faithful sidekick Jasper helping him to save the day.  I find them both annoying and not very interesting.  Eleanor needs a strong man,and  Jasper is just not it.  This just sealed it for me, if there is a season 4 I think I am out.  I can't take a season of Liam taking down the big bad Robert because you know, HE should be King!  

There is no imagination with these writers.   The only thing I agree with regarding Liam is the negative things about Cyrus did not need to be said.  I can deal with Robert not being perfect and having some manipulative qualities.  There is no need to make him evil.  My prediction was always that they would say he had something to do with his father's death and that he could have been off the island long ago. 

So are we to believe that Robert needed Liam to tell him what to say?  

I was hoping Robert had left the bed and found Liam's shirt.  Kathryn is just useless. 

Good for Willow!  

I couldn't agree more with this.  This episode was nauseating because it set Liam up as this perfect "good" guy about to take down his power hungry brother.  When Liam has been an utter asshole ALL SEASON LONG.  He's literally been acting like he wished his brother was dead.  All this time.  I'm just so disgusted.

But I do fear that getting the crown to Robert was just a temporary stopover to giving it to Liam.  They just had to get it back in the family first and away from Cyrus.

That speech Robert gave though?  That's a King. Liam could never.

• Love 4

Up until this episode I wasn't as annoyed by the Liam situation as most of you, but he was such a little bitch in this ep and I am fully done with him now.

16 hours ago, GaT said:

This season has been boring & weak IMO. The show has lost all it's fun & is just tedious now.

I hate to say it but I agree. They really have lost all the fun and heart they used to have. They've also lost all the cheesy campiness. I feel like the show takes itself way too seriously now, which is such a shame.

I'd rather watch a spinoff about Robert and Willow falling in love. Helena and Spencer can make guest appearances. I'm over the other characters.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, phoenics said:

This show is ridiculous - clearly they built Robert up so much that now, only utter character assassination will do in order to put Liam on the throne.  It's so stupid - sad, soap opera level plot driven drivel.

There was/is no need to drag Robert down.  I do think Liam was right in what he said to Robert about "going high" but Liam was a jerk for not simply standing up and telling the truth about Cyrus.  Eleanor was RIGHT to do what she did - Liam was just trying to be "noble" but really he was just trying to undermine his brother.  Instead of saying what Robert wanted him to say, Liam could have easily said nice things about why Robert was the right choice.  Instead, he passive aggressively says nothing, which said EVERYTHING.

And if they "reveal" that Robert had something to do with Simon's death I call foul, since the guy who downed Robert's plane had NO knowledge of that - and WE SAW ON VIDEOTAPE that Ted Price killed Simon. Robert was still on the island when that happened - it would be a huge plot hole to suddenly make him the bad guy just so Liam could have the throne.

I HATE IT when writers don't know how to elevate their fave character without destroying someone else.

And Liam basically listened to CYRUS in preaching to Robert about how difficult situations show your best or worst.  In all the things Liam could remember at the moment of truth, THAT'S what he remembers of Cyrus?  After EVERYTHING Cyrus has done?  Come on!  Worse - Liam has been showing us his worst ALL SEASON long.

The only good moment we got from Liam was when he tried to get Robert to back off of going dirty with Cyrus - when honestly that's not even going dirty.  It's telling the truth.  

I guess the show will never reveal that Cyrus literally killed a man.

I just am hating the show tearing down Robert to prop Liam up.  It's simply bad storytelling.  I am now hoping this season is the last one.

It would have been easier to simply have him thrown in jail and locked away though.

I don't think the secret is anything that Robert knows - it's probably his paternity.  There is no way the show could write him in as co-conspirator in his own father's death that wouldn't simply look like a terrible plot contrivance to make Liam "win".  For one, the timeline doesn't match and two, we know Ted Price acted alone.  Robert killing his own father?  No.

Well, I wasn't watching at that time so I don't even know how the king died or the timeline of him and Robert.  I was just trying to think all season what he could have done that could be so terrible an the only thing I can come up with is something related to his father. 

I should have known what to expect from a network that puts the Kardashians on television 

• Love 1

I'm pretty peeved that Liam's advice to Robert is what put him over the top with the council. Robert is a chessmaster and Liam is a whiny also-ran. We're supposed to believe Robert didn't already know to appeal to the council with earnestness? Naw son. I'm not buying Liam as some PR genius. If this is how the rest of the series is going to pan out, I'm done. They are CLEARLY going to toss Robert down the crapper for Liam. I either have to accept him as a villain or lament the way they're ruining him.

Us Robert fans are clearly in the minority, if Facebook and poor Max Brown's Twitter mentions are anything to go by, so clearly they're going to give us King Liam whether we want it or not. I wonder if he's an official series regular or not? But with all of you guys here also on team Robert, I feel as if I have found my people on here.

Jasper is one of my favorite characters on this show, but he definitely was an asshole with calling Eleanor's new bodyguard "honey" in that condescending tone. You're on really thin ice with just about everyone, tone it down a notch. As much as I like Jasper and Eleanor, she was right in telling him to fuck off while she figures herself out.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 3

Oh, I hate they way they had to write it as if it was Liam's advice. Robert surely would have had to think and practice what he was going to say long before then.  I do understand this is a lighthearted  show, but there needs to be some realism.  Yes, as I stated above I'm sure the majority of the viewers are possibly very young and see Liam as a young hero.  Maybe he still has fans from the C.S. Lewis world. 

I didn't really touch on Jasper, but I do think it is ludicrous to think he could just leave and come back that way.  I don't think they made Rosie look good when she had to take the safety off,and I was mad about that piece of writing as well.  Maybe if I had watched all along, but I just don't get the Jasper love.  He is just average looking an the body is not the best.  Did he reveal what info he got about Sebastian? 

I think they are missing an opportunity here.  They already had Cyrus as a convincing master manipulator, the problem was they needed someone to maturely match him, and Helena was not up to the task. Robert fills a void and they could have had both without the show being about pitting them against each other. 

I confess to fast forwarding a lot, so I have no idea what is going on with Helena.  What job offer did Eleanor have?  

If Liam and Jasper are so close,why didn't he tell him about the info on Robert? 

• Love 1

This show is clearly not for fans over the age of 16 - because when you apply a critical lens to it, it doesn't hold up.  I could suspend my disbelief with Len and her drug antics and ridiculous clothing, but wow - Robert 1) sets it up so Helena tells Liam what's what and 2) wants Liam to tell the truth about Cyrus and suddenly he's evil incarnate?  NO NO NO NO NO!

And poor Max Brown - he's a trooper on twitter to deal with insane fans who can't separate him from the character.  I know Liam irks the mess out of me, but I'm sure William Moseley is a nice guy - even if I don't think he's the best actor.  Max just outdoes him in every scene he's in.

My sister and I watched and even she said it felt like the writing shifted in this episode - to tearing Robert down.  I had expressed my fears early on that they were going to go the route of character assassination for Robert in order to put Liam on the throne and she poo poo'd me.  Now she says I was right.  We both were like - did they drop the storyline about Robert sleeping in his room with the hourglass?  Where did any of that go?  Has ANYONE asked Robert how he is since he got back?  Everyone's been coddling Liam - but dang - Robert got back and his father is dead!

My guess is that this is the last season, so the show had to make changes fast to finish out the series.  If the last episode ends with Robert still on the throne I will be shocked.  My only hope is that IF Robert isn't Simon's son (how awful for him), that they allow Robert to step down of his own accord and not toss him out and embarrass him.  Liam shouldn't want anyone to go through what he went through when Cyrus embarrassed him.

I refuse to accept any ending where Robert is made out to be somehow connected to his father's death (because it makes NO SENSE - he was next in line to the throne and Simon wouldn't live forever), or even connected to his own disappearance.  It would just be plot to manipulate the story in Liam's favor.

My struggle with this show is that Robert is being painted as a bad guy when Liam fell completely apart after Cyrus took the crown from him.  He went into a bar, got piss drunk, got in a fight and then passed out in the street.  And this season - even before he got all pissy and sour faced with Robert (essentially wishing him dead) - he was doing cage fighting.  What part of any of that makes sense when he thought he would be King?  At the end of S2, they were setting him up to be King - why fall apart in cage matches?  Why is he somehow "better" than Robert?  Robert has held together pretty well in all of this.  And that speech?  Liam had his "speech" moment and it paled in comparison.  Sorry not sorry.  Liam had earnestness, sure, but not power.  That King speech had earnestness, majesty and POWER all over it - as delivered by Robert.  

Just mourning what could have been.  This show has really wasted some opportunities.

Also - are they going to reveal that Liam slept with Kate? 

11 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Oh, I hate they way they had to write it as if it was Liam's advice. Robert surely would have had to think and practice what he was going to say long before then.  I do understand this is a lighthearted  show, but there needs to be some realism.  Yes, as I stated above I'm sure the majority of the viewers are possibly very young and see Liam as a young hero.  Maybe he still has fans from the C.S. Lewis world. 

I didn't really touch on Jasper, but I do think it is ludicrous to think he could just leave and come back that way.  I don't think they made Rosie look good when she had to take the safety off,and I was mad about that piece of writing as well.  Maybe if I had watched all along, but I just don't get the Jasper love.  He is just average looking an the body is not the best.  Did he reveal what info he got about Sebastian? 

I think they are missing an opportunity here.  They already had Cyrus as a convincing master manipulator, the problem was they needed someone to maturely match him, and Helena was not up to the task. Robert fills a void and they could have had both without the show being about pitting them against each other. 

I confess to fast forwarding a lot, so I have no idea what is going on with Helena.  What job offer did Eleanor have?  

If Liam and Jasper are so close,why didn't he tell him about the info on Robert? 

ICAM!  This show should have left the Cyrus/Robert war play out much longer, cut Kate loose to be with Liam in a triangle with him and Willow (though she's better with Robert) and let Cyrus and Robert go toe to toe.  Seeing Robert take Cyrus down and them getting really dirty with it would have been amazing - because no one has really been able to top Cyrus for the long haul.  I would have liked seeing Robert do it.  It's not really fun watching Liam vs Robert because the only way to have a real fight is for the writing to destroy Robert.  And so here we are.

Helena had a chance to go stay at rich dude's ranch in Wyoming or somewhere - the same night as the King decision came down (which was a stupid ultimatum).  She decided ultimately not to go and to stay with her life in England as Queen.

The Jasper info to Liam clearly wasn't given at the beginning so we could see Robert "win", only to now gift Liam with the info to destroy him - and for Liam to look "noble" once in this episode (and all season really) so he doesn't look bad tearing Robert down after the fact - even though to any objective viewer, Liam STILL LOOKS terrible after the fact.  The promo next week makes Robert sound even worse - so clearly that's what the show is after.

No thanks.

And I do think WM has Narnia fans - even though as an actor he hasn't progressed beyond the first movie.  He's terrible - sorry.  He struggles to look like a full grown man and next to Max Brown he just looks even worse.  I still remember being ho hum about Liam getting to be King at the end of S2 because I just couldn't get into him - and I thought the issue was the actress playing Willow - but now I see the issue was WM's inability to carry lead status.  By himself, you don't notice as much but against MB - it's just glaring. 

Hey - what happened to Helena's assistant?  She just dissappeared mid season.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, phoenics said:

My sister and I watched and even she said it felt like the writing shifted in this episode - to tearing Robert down.  I had expressed my fears early on that they were going to go the route of character assassination for Robert in order to put Liam on the throne and she poo poo'd me.  Now she says I was right.  We both were like - did they drop the storyline about Robert sleeping in his room with the hourglass?  Where did any of that go?  Has ANYONE asked Robert how he is since he got back?  Everyone's been coddling Liam - but dang - Robert got back and his father is dead!

For real. I don't think anyone on the writing team has ever lost a loved one, because the entire family's response to Robert's return has been decidedly underwhelming. They should have literally been weeping at his feet and encouraging him to get therapy. Liam was wishing he was still dead from practically the second he returned. I did like that they didn't forget that Robert has just lost Simon, figuratively.

For my money, Robert desperately trying to hold it together inside while still out-royaling every single one of them is a hell of a compelling story. Moreso than Liam and whomever they've decided is his soulmate this week (I'm one of about 3 people who liked Ophelia).

34 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Oh, I think Jasper is far and away the hottest guy on the show, and he's got some stiff competition. He totally does it for me in that suit and ear piece. Having said that, he's been written unevenly at best. I've handwaved a LOT because it's fiction and I like him with Eleanor, but he deserves most of the ire coming his way from the family. And it was a total contrivance for him to withhold the info about Robert until after he was elected. That was stupid on the writers' part.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 3

If anything Max Brown is a better actor than anyone on the show and unfortunately that shows no matter who he is in a scene with.   I had hoped they would somehow touch on what Robert was feeling since he came home. I agree it has been strange that they didn't ask more questions about what he went through, etc.  I think the only person who mentioned it in a malicious way is  Cyrus.  What then was the purpose of showing him on the floor or watching the sand?  I really did like the way he delivered his speech at the privy council. 

I thought the man Helena was sleeping with was her assistant.....oh  I ust thought...you are talking about the woman that arranged for the male prostitute to see Helena and there was a mixup?  Was she Helena's assistant?  Maybe she fired her after that mixup? 

I honestly don't know if I would feel the same way about Liam if they had an actor that was capable...but it would still be terrible writing so I don't know how much it would matter. 

I know, I  know, I am the only one that finds Jasper and Eleanor boring. 

• Love 2

Maybe I've caught a virus or something, but reading the first few comments here made me feel as if I had missed an episode. Then I read some which matched what I saw. I'm still confused about these first comments and whether I am on the on the actual thread. If I am, I wish Jasper had delivered whatever hot info he had and let Eleanor move on to better (less boring) things. Let her have friends, male and female flirt, etc., and most of all find a calling for herself (before she becomes queen, that is, because if Robert is not stable on the throne, and seeing how childish Liam is, it will be either Eeanor or one f the doofus twins). 

I still want Robert to be the king, and a stable as that, and the rest of the family to either stay real disfunctinnal or get their act together in an interesting way (the Monaco family is probably a much better example than the Windsor if you want a inspiration for pseudo fiction).     

Finally watched this last night and I have to say, I hate Liam. How funny is it that he tells Robert his ugly side is coming out. Liam's ugly side has been here for the ENTIRE season. He's just an awful person who has basically been throwing a temper tantrum since Robert's return. It's obvious he wishes Robert was still dead over some Manic Pixie Dream Girl, which is a pretty awful thing. Does anyone else find Kate completely boring? I have no idea what these two brothers see in her because she has had ZERO characterization.

The writing was never great to begin with, but it's somehow managed to get worse. So Robert sits on a bench all night, Kate comes to meet him and he only spent like a minute talking with her? Um... if my boyfriend did that to me, I'd be pretty annoyed. But this whole tear Robert down choice is pretty lazy. I actually really liked him and still think he would be better a better King than Liam.

So over Jasper/Eleanor. I love Eleanor but I wish they would do more for her character. It's so obvious they are going to end up together again and I can't help but wonder what kind of message this sends. That it's totally ok to be with a guy who blackmails you, forces you to have sex with him (which is rape), tried to rob you and then doesn't trust you enough to let you know what's going on in his life but just bails on you? They are both pretty stupid. Eleanor basically has Stockholm Syndrome and Jasper is just an idiot who doesn't know how to be in a relationship/treat women.

Now that everyone sucks I'm left wondering, why am I still watching this show???

• Love 3
22 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I thought the man Helena was sleeping with was her assistant.....oh  I ust thought...you are talking about the woman that arranged for the male prostitute to see Helena and there was a mixup?  Was she Helena's assistant?  Maybe she fired her after that mixup?

Yeah, that woman who was also a dominatrix was Helena's assistant of some sort. Not that I was attached to her or anything, but she DID pretty much disappear after that episode, didn't she? Frankly, I miss the chamberlain she was sleeping with. Now that was some good chemistry.

7 hours ago, onyx said:

Finally watched this last night and I have to say, I hate Liam. How funny is it that he tells Robert his ugly side is coming out. Liam's ugly side has been here for the ENTIRE season. He's just an awful person who has basically been throwing a temper tantrum since Robert's return. It's obvious he wishes Robert was still dead over some Manic Pixie Dream Girl, which is a pretty awful thing. Does anyone else find Kate completely boring? I have no idea what these two brothers see in her because she has had ZERO characterization.

For someone whose sole motivation to get off the island was Kate, to hell with seeing his family again (and frankly Liam is proof that Robert had good reason to bail on the lot of them), Robert sure spends little to no time with her. I think if they're going to sell us the kind of desperate love that can move a person to want to live, they should probably do a chemistry test of the actors involved beforehand. That kind of pairing requires Jasper/Eleanor type chemistry (and frankly even those two strain my goodwill, because they are pretty toxic). I don't see any kind of attachment on Kate's part. They might have made up for the lack of Kate/Robert chemistry if she had any with Liam, but...she doesn't.

The writers really goofed on not bringing her on sooner. And not to beat a dead horse or anything, but she is so bland. Eleanor's flavor of the month (I can't remember his name, though I do like him) has more personality and he's been in half as many episodes. Hell, Ophelia had more personality.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 2

Honestly - I'm still looking at Willow and Robert fondly - that was an unexpected spark of chemistry I did not expect.

Pretty sure after they completely assassinate Robert's character I'm so out of here.  I never realized how underwhelmed I've always been with Liam until Robert got here and showed us all what a real royal would actually be like.  It's a shame they went the route of pitting two brothers together.  In the end, they've destroyed two characters, not one.

• Love 4

I will watch the finale but if they continues to shit on Robert's character, I won't bother with next season even if they renewed it. With or without Robert, I've been annoyed with Eleanor and Liam's antics for a while, so it's time really. 

The writers had such a good opportunity to write something worthwhile with Robert back from the dead and they squandered it with boring romances (Liam/Kate/Robert, Len/Jasper) and petty jealousy among brothers. That rivalry between bros could have been interesting if they hadn't made Liam into someone who covets after his brother's woman and title and wishes his brother stayed dead. In a way, they ruined Liam's character too. He used to be immature but mostly harmless and earnest, not this. 

This show used to be fun. 

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I think if they're going to sell us the kind of desperate love that can move a person to want to live, they should probably do a chemistry test of the actors involved beforehand. That kind of pairing requires Jasper/Eleanor type chemistry (and frankly even those two strain my goodwill, because they are pretty toxic). I don't see any kind of attachment on Kate's part. They might have made up for the lack of Kate/Robert chemistry if she had any with Liam, but...she doesn't.

I totally agree! Maybe it's just the actress. She doesn't seem to have much range. I don't think introducing her sooner would have fixed that. She just lacks the kind of charisma I want to watch on screen. She seems nice and all, just very bland. She pretty much always has the same facial expression.

2 hours ago, phoenics said:

Pretty sure after they completely assassinate Robert's character I'm so out of here.  I never realized how underwhelmed I've always been with Liam until Robert got here and showed us all what a real royal would actually be like.  It's a shame they went the route of pitting two brothers together.  In the end, they've destroyed two characters, not one.

Seriously, this. I mean, can we all just take a moment to wonder why Liam even WANTS to be King? Like he was having way more fun being the Playboy Prince. Like Len, I'd much rather have all of the perks and none of the responsibilities.

Also, when did Liam even have time to crush on Kate? Wasn't he with Gemma before Ophelia? He is so driven by female characters, he's the kind of King that would be completely controlled by his Queen.

32 minutes ago, waving feather said:

I will watch the finale but if they continues to shit on Robert's character, I won't bother with next season even if they renewed it. With or without Robert, I've been annoyed with Eleanor and Liam's antics for a while, so it's time really. 

The writers had such a good opportunity to write something worthwhile with Robert back from the dead and they squandered it with boring romances (Liam/Kate/Robert, Len/Jasper) and petty jealousy among brothers. That rivalry between bros could have been interesting if they hadn't made Liam someone who covets after his brother's girlfriend and title and wishes his brother stayed dead. In a way, they ruined Liam's character too. He used to be immature but mostly harmless and earnest, not this. 

This show used to be fun. 

It used to be so fun! Like it was always a bit unbelievable and over the top, but it was enjoyable to watch. Now it's been ruined with stupid storylines. The rival between the brothers just isn't interesting. I wish they had like worked together to go against Cyrus. At least then we wouldn't be left with this. It's like they want us to hate every single character. Are they TRYING to get canceled??

Edited by onyx
I obviously have no idea to use quotes properly on this forum, haha. Why are there 1's everywhere??!!
  • Love 6