Type keyword(s) to search

LIP products: lipsticks, lipkits, glosses, balms all that jazz

• Start Topic

My name is Jac and I am a lipstick addict.

I currently own:

• seven what I call unnatural colours (blues, greys, blacks, silver, golds etc.)
  • five bright pinks
  • six bright to wine reds
  • six berry to purple shades
  • six oranges/peaches
  • six goth colours, very dark purples, reds, and browns
  • seven neutrals

I am a big fan of NYX, especially the Liquid Suede line, I recently purchased the Liquid Suede Lip Vault which has a half-size of every colour in that range and their Turnt Up range. I find that their mattes are non drying, which is nice.

I also recommend Australian brand Sportsgirl, their lipsticks are $US 7.50 a pop and incredibly well wearing.

• Love 1

Hey @Princess Sparkle I ordered some Huda Beauty liquid lipstick sets this afternoon! I remember you mentioned liking them a long time ago. They have very divisive reviews, but then again so does her eyeshadow palette and I love it. It's seems like she takes risks with her finishes and formulas & I respect that. The shade range on her lippies are gorgeous and complex; I had to try some of her reds and neutrals. 

An aside I don't really trust Sephora dot com reviews it's like for past 6 months any product has total hate and bashing or raving. So binary! Even products that are rad and very high quality will have a few snark reviews saying it is shit and that can't believe anyone would ever like it, they would neva. I've opened maybe 50 perfume reviews on there that say it "smells like old lady perfume" or cheap and it could be from any category scent base or floral, oriental, aquatic ... same feedback.

• Love 1

@Princess Sparkle I got the new set of minis in red and nude I figured if I like the formula I'll get the rest of the cute sets or some full sized. I agree about the lipstrobes. It seems like those duo chrome or hypershimmer lippies are very, very on trend right now. Becca just came out with a version that I tried in store and it was beautiful. Of course, Bite also has a range of georgeous prismatic glosses too. I think they're wearable if pragmatic, like with a neutral matte eye. If I do a foiled or shimmer eye &/blinged cheekbone highlight then I do more non-shimmer or non metallic lips, usually a nude or matte red. 

I need help.  I need to wear some lip color.  My lips tend to be dry, and for some reason, the color just evaporates in an hour or so.  I've been using tinted chap stick, but just lick it off.  Any recommendations?  Thanks!

9 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

I need help.  I need to wear some lip color.  My lips tend to be dry, and for some reason, the color just evaporates in an hour or so.  I've been using tinted chap stick, but just lick it off.  Any recommendations?  Thanks!

Have you tried a lip stain? Revlon used to have a really great lip stain pen that I like - not sure if the still carry the line. It's a marker, kinda reminds me of a Crayola marker, which sounds weird, but actually works pretty well. 

1 hour ago, callie lee 29 said:

Have you tried a lip stain? Revlon used to have a really great lip stain pen that I like - not sure if the still carry the line. It's a marker, kinda reminds me of a Crayola marker, which sounds weird, but actually works pretty well. 

I've tried a few lip stains, but not Revlon.  I'll look for it.  Thanks!

Bite lipsticks tend to be moisturizing and long wearing. They also have a huge shade range and are handmade with all food grade ingredients. Sephora has some specials on them right now. The Amuse Bouche perfect pair which comes with a lipstick and matching pencil $15. The Amuse Bouch duo in Opal/Jam which is only 10. Suzanne's Favorites which is 3 full size shades for $49 or the perfect bite which is 4 small for $25.

also Fresh lip sugar (chapstick thing) in shade fig or berry give a light color and deep moisture. 

Matte liquid lipsticks aren't that drying if you moisture at night and/or top them with a gloss. I sometimes use the same face moisturizer or eye cream on my lips late before bed. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

@PRgal that shade is so pretty and can work with so many eye makeup looks! 

Thank you!  I think I may buy more of these once they hit stores (if they haven't already).  :) 

I know, this isn't good for my addiction...

I don't generally bother with sticks these days preferring a more natural look (except for cold winter months when I look extremely pale)

My usual favourite is the L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Gold Obsession range, and in particular the "Nude Gold", "Pink Gold" and "Rouge Gold"

Very smooth to apply, no smears or greasiness. Great smell too!

• Love 1

So I REALLY (really, really) want the Pat McGrath Lust 004 lip kit. Only it's unavailable. In all colors. Anyone know if this is temporary or if it's just being discontinued? (I know she has the MatteTrance but I cannot stand matte, so that's out.) 

My UD Moondust palette came today from Sephora - may be a little old for it, but I like glitter at times. Also got the new Bite Beauty Liquid Lip in Éclair. Seems to be a nice rosy pink for me that will carry me in to fall.

20 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

My UD Moondust palette came today from Sephora - may be a little old for it, but I like glitter at times. Also got the new Bite Beauty Liquid Lip in Éclair. Seems to be a nice rosy pink for me that will carry me in to fall.

I love the Moondust palette. You're never too old for glitter! I love to play with the colors and layer them over matte shades. If I use the shades alone I use Urban Decay's primer underneath. And I use my finger rather than a brush -- I've found the pigment is better that way.

I really want one of the new Bite Beauty liquid lipsticks. My only issue will be deciding which color I want. I'll probably end up buying more than one.

• Love 2

Yes if any of you have a review or some feedback on the new Bite liquid lipsticks please let me know. 

I have to stock up on some fall shades. It's funny when I hit pan or empty on products since I have so much. But I wear it everyday and sometimes do one look for Day and one Evening so that's probably why on that become faves or easy run out. 

• Love 1

Petunia13, Temptalia has lots of swatches and reviews of the new Bite Beauty lip colors.

Some of my eyeshadow palettes are down to their last wears/last month to 2 months. I cycle through about 6 per week (one each day), so three are running out. Also need some new blush. The Bay has Estee Lauder gift time starting August 9 - for Canadian ladies, for the first two days the Bay and Estee Lauder are giving $10 off a $100 purchase. You will need to spend $110 to get the upgrade gift.

30 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Well I pulled the trigger on the Pat McGrath MatteTrance lipstick. Hopefully it won't be dry otherwise I may have a one time use $40 lipstick needing a good home.

Those shades are insanely gorgeous. 

(edited)

Just got my first colourpop order in the mail and I am hugely impressed with both the blotted lip formula and the ultra satin formula. Both are extremely light and comfortable to wear. I got the On a Stick, a bright pinky coral in the blotted lip, a formula which is more like a matte transparent stain that a true lipstick. It is gorgeous. In the satin lip I got Alyssa, a your lips but better pinky toned nude. It is also gorgeous. I have no idea how to embed instagram photos here but if you go to my Insta jaclauren782 I am wearing the colors in my shots from today.

Edited by Jac

So I received the Pat McGrath Matte Trance in Elson on Thursday. After finally opening it on Friday night (that packaging is outrageous!!) I finally wore it this morning. It's not crazy dry, not like a normal matte. It actually feels like my lips are naked, in an odd way it actually feels like I think velvet lips  would feel like. One downside is I have a bad habit of picking at my lips, mostly unconsciously, and the lipstick highlights it. Dabbing a little chapstick on top gets rid of that. 

I do like the color, it's a really intense red. I'm going to try to swatch it later (if I can figure out how to do that for this site).

On 7/26/2017 at 5:18 PM, Petunia13 said:

Yes if any of you have a review or some feedback on the new Bite liquid lipsticks please let me know. 

I have to stock up on some fall shades. It's funny when I hit pan or empty on products since I have so much. But I wear it everyday and sometimes do one look for Day and one Evening so that's probably why on that become faves or easy run out. 

So I bought one of the new Bite lippies (the Puree color, a red-orange) and it is very nice. It feels good on your lips, creamy and moisturizing and the pigment is amazing. It's not really a liquid lipstick and it's not long-lasting as the mattes like Kat Von D or Stila Stay all Day. It will transfer when you eat/drink/kiss someone, etc. But the pigment is so good that it lasts awhile anyway. I only reapplied once or twice today and it was fine.

I got a my second batch of Colourpop lippies in the mail about 10 days ago and again, they are wonderful. The cost-effectiveness of these is extraordinary. I got two of their ultra satin lips,  panda - a deep purply berry and exaggerated - a browny peach. I got an ultra matte lip in Mars - a cool-toned fuchsia (my weakness). I got an ultra metallic lip in flitter, a duochrome pale pink/gold shade. I got two more blotted lips, sucker, an orange with warm, browny undertones and brain-freeze, a cool toned medium pink. 

I love Colourpop.  I have almost all of the their lipsticks and love them.  They're so cheap with great color payoff.  However, you have to be careful when applying the mattes though; because the formula is cheap, if you apply too many layers it starts to clump and then fall off.  So you basically have to get the application right first time!  Haven't tried the blotted lips yet; that's next on my list once I lift my lipstick buying ban.  (It's way to easy to by 10 million lippies at Coloupop since they're all $5-6).

• Love 1
On 7/14/2017 at 11:10 AM, ButterQueen said:

I need to wear some lip color.  My lips tend to be dry, and for some reason, the color just evaporates in an hour or so.  I've been using tinted chap stick, but just lick it off.  Any recommendations?

You might like a balm stain.  They feel like a lip balm, but have some color.  They're typically not sticky/glossy.  I know Burts Bee's has a tinted balm, and I've not tried it personally, but I know a few friends that are big fans.

http://www.ulta.com/lip-balm?productId=xlsImpprod13611131

I like the Kissable Balm Stain in the color "Honey" by Revlon

http://www.ulta.com/color-stay-just-bitten-kissable-balm-stain?productId=xlsImpprod4410269

As well Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm in the color "Voluptuous Violet" by Clinique (looks pretty dark in the tube, but on me is very pretty sheer berry color)

http://www.ulta.com/chubby-stick-moisturizing-lip-colour-balm?productId=xlsImpprod10792013

• Love 2

I was at Sephora today and they had a display of the new Ciate London Glitter Flip lipcolors. Soooo pretty! You apply it, wait for it dry down, then press your lips together and voila! Glittery lips. I am weak so I bought the Infamous shade, even though I just bought the Bite lipcolor the other day. I think I need help lol.

• Love 2
Spoiler
Spoiler
  •  

On 8/30/2017 at 6:28 PM, Minneapple said:

I was at Sephora today and they had a display of the new Ciate London Glitter Flip lipcolors. Soooo pretty! You apply it, wait for it dry down, then press your lips together and voila! Glittery lips. I am weak so I bought the Infamous shade, even though I just bought the Bite lipcolor the other day. I think I need help lol.

Are they anything like these? I got this late last year for a holiday event.  It did not go well. I'm trying to figure how to post a picture, but they're Ciaté Fix. It has glitz grip sealer, 1 glitter tube,  and a little fan that I am using for my nails.

On August 30, 2017 at 6:28 PM, Minneapple said:

Ohhhh...I need to try these!

Our receptionist had on a new red from Sephora on Friday and it REALLY did look great.  It looked like coral to me, but, she said it was red.  I was inspired and bought me a new lip color yesterday.  I wasn't near a Sephora location, so I had to go with another brand. It's pretty cheap, but, I hope it looks okay. Not a huge investment, but, I thought it would be nice for the fall.  It's called Orange Danger from the Bold Collection.  Here it is.

https://www.maybelline.com/lip-makeup/lipstick/color-sensational-the-loaded-bolds-lipstick/orange-danger

I have blonde hair, so, I hope it works. I haven't even tried it yet. Maybe, later today. 

I'm generally on the fence about every lip product I own, especially the balms that are supposed to be moisturizing or healing in some way. But my current go-to's are Nivea's A Kiss of Moisture because it does well enough and is cheap and Dior's Creme de Rose if things are really bad (e.g. I'm getting over an allergic reaction). I've tried L'Occitane, Aquaphor, First Aid Beauty, Vaseline, C.O. Bigelow, etc. and none of those have been as reliable. 

As for lipsticks, I'm allergic to something and I haven't been able to figure out what it is. I think L'Oreal and/or Maybelline tend to set me off but it can be high end or low end or any fragrance or color. I haven't been able to narrow down the ingredient.

These days my go to lip glosses are Urban Decay Failbait (which I think was discontinued). If I apply it lightly, it's MLBB. If I pile it on, it's a bit bright. I'm also trying a Sephora gloss I like okay.

For color I have way too many lipsticks. I tried the dark lipstick thing for a while but I was never that excited about it. I like red, bright pink, or MLBB. Maybe a coral or purple once in a while. My reliable go-to's are the Urban Decay Revolution lipsticks. I think they were discontinued, but I still have mine plus backups. I love the way the formula is just thick enough to hug the lips without being too heavy or too slick and sliding all over your face. And it's full coverage and doesn't accentuate lines too much. I've got some reds and Anarchy as my bright pink. I also like Sheer Anarchy when I don't want to go full out with lipstick because I've realized that with my dry lips, I do better with balms and glosses. 

I don't bother with much else but I do have some of the Stila lipsticks. They're just harder to apply from the tube. I don't like the formula as much and I hate the minty tingle. I wish more products would stop trying to irritate my face (more skincare) to convince me that they're doing something. 

I have a lot of makeup I haven't tossed and a bunch of it is lippies. 

Yesterday, I threw out almost ten lipsticks I've had for a few years. They were mostly Revlon and Rimmel, and I will rebuy some of my favourites from that line. I'm interested in buying more expensive lipsticks again. I own a couple of NARS, a YSL gloss, and I'm going to pick up a Bite beauty or two. Some brands I haven't really taken the plunge for include Chanel, Guerlain, and the YSL Pur Couture line. Does anyone have any recommendations for more luxe lipsticks? Do you think it was worth the price? 

I had a Dior lipstick I wore to prom. That was before I did my own makeup (except for theater) so I let a woman at the mall do it. I sort of liked it okay... but I lost it, possibly at prom. I tried to buy another one in college but they didn't make the color anymore. I didn't love the formula. I also had a Dior gloss that barely got used. Dior lipsticks with glitter are weirdly thick... it's just not a good texture.

I had a YSL for a while but I think I returned it. It was way too slippery and greasy. I had a Givenchy lipstick with the same problem. I like more heavy-duty lipsticks. I need moisture and I like full coverage. 

Honestly, I prefer Urban Decay and it costs about the same (maybe a few dollars less). Also, I've noticed that lower end lipsticks tend to go for a caramel/sweet scent or mint (Stila) if any while the higher end stuff has a very perfume-y scent if any. 

• Love 1

I went to Sephora on the weekend and picked up the Jack Black lip balm set and the Bite Beauty High Pigment Lip Pencil in Tannin. This is my first Bite Beauty product and I only really got it since I noticed it was on sale. The pigment is very nice and I like the shade, but I find it transfers very easily and doesn't last. It is also a bit drying on me. I wore it without a lip balm as I left the store and with a lip balm later. It didn't wear down evenly too even though I blotted it. I am still going to try an Amuse Bouche or a matte lip creams in the future, but I'll hold off.

Other than that, I'm still finding lipsticks I need to throw out and soon need to repurchase lip liners as well.  Swathed some Chanel Allure Velvet shades as well and think that will be my next big lipstick purchase. 

Used my $25 off Sephora Beauty Insider award to buy, what else, more lipstick.  (Although I've done really well in restraining from purchasing lippies and haven't since the before the summer.  I deserved to buy more for my discipline (or so I tell myself, lol!).)

I bought:

• 2 Huda Beauty Lip Contour Sets (Vixen and Spice Girl) to see what the Huda hype is all about.  Each set comes with a lip pencil and 2 mini lipticks
  • Urban Decay Vice Liquid Lipstick in Conspiracy and 1993 (I've been wanting to buy Conspiracy since I swatched it in the store earlier this year.  It might have too much glitter for me, but I love the dark brownish-goldish color)
  • NARS Powermatte Lip Pigment in Done it Again and Rock with You.  I can't wait to try these on my lips; the formula just seems velvety and thin (feels like you're wearing nothing), but still with an amazing color payoff

Ooh, please report back on the Huda beauty stuff @luckyroll3 I'm curious about the lip contour thing. I'm pretty basic when it comes to lips. I mostly wear balm or moisturizing formulas and a lipstick has got to go on with one swipe... no fussing with lip scrubs and painting things on with lip brushes for me. But I've been watching a lot of drag queen videos lately and they have an amazing contour going on. I think a lot of them just use OCC lip tars but I don't want to use something that intense and drying like a liquid lipstick. But because most of my lip products aren't drying, they move around too much to contour well. It might look ok when I first apply it but after talking for a few hours, or worse eating or drinking, it all smudges into one color. It probably helps to use lip liner and not two soft products. Maybe lip contouring is just not for me. 

6 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

NARS Powermatte Lip Pigment in Done it Again and Rock with You.  I can't wait to try these on my lips; the formula just seems velvety and thin (feels like you're wearing nothing), but still with an amazing color payoff

Please let us know about these as well. NARS is one of my favourite brands for lip products and while I do not use liquid lipsticks or lip pigments, I may jump on it for them.

Has anyone tried the Diorific "powdered" lip sticks? I read and watched some reviews and I am intrigued since it has allegedly a powdery non drying texture that dries down matte. Not into the packaging though. 

6 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

So I got a couple of the Pat McGrath lip kits and.. I don't like them.  At all.  The colors look horrific on me and actually make them look smaller (I didn't know that was possible!). I'm so disappointed.  

Oooh, I'm glad I didn't get them then. I was considering getting one with my VIB coupon and passed because the color they had in the store was pretty much the exact same color as my lips.

7 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

So I got a couple of the Pat McGrath lip kits and.. I don't like them.  At all.  The colors look horrific on me and actually make them look smaller (I didn't know that was possible!). I'm so disappointed.  

That sucks! Especially considering how hyped all the experts and bloggers made it then it turns out to be duds tenor.gif?itemid=5565323

I saw the Dior kohl lipsticks at the Bay but was a bit meh on them. Granted, I have a lot of lipsticks to use, so I will wait. I do like the fancy gold containers - they look classy and elegant and not the cheap plastic of a lot of lipsticks. I did get the Estee Lauder blue glitter bag set complete with a nice lipstick in a gold case. Maybe it's more for the beauty tips section, but the holiday bags aren't as nice as they were say, five or so years ago.

Huda Lipkit Update: Yesterday I wore Spice Girl (the kit contains Spice Girl and Venus; I only wore the Spice Girl).  I used the "lip contour" (stop being creative and just call it fucking lipliner people!); I didn't do the whole contouring thing, I just lined my lips like I normally do (outline my lip line, I define my cupids bow, and then I fill in color along the corners of my lips just a bit towards the center, so most of my lip generally isn't filled in at all).  Some people may like that the liner is actually a perfect match for the lipstick, so if you do like to fill in your lips completely with liner first, it won't change the color once the lipstick is applied.  I tend to like my liner just a shade darker to make my lips more defined.  Once the lipstick was on, I had to re-line my lips with my go to liner (MAC Chestnut) because the color was making my lips disappear into my face, if that makes sense (I typically have to line all brown lip colors).  The lipstick itself was really nice.  My one gripe was that the consistency was super watery, so I ended up putting too much color on my bottom lip and had to use my fingers to correct it.  I was prepared for my top lip and got the application right.  Additionally, because it was sooooooo runny, when I parted my lips just the tiniest bit, it got all over my teeth immediately!  Once it dried down, which happened quickly, the color was lovely.  The lipstick itself also felt really lovely on.  It was matte, but felt, I don't know, cushiony maybe?  And I never felt like my lips were dry at all.  The color stayed on all damn day, through salad with vinaigrette dressing (the ultimate matte lipstick destroyer!) and pepperoni pizza.  I was impressed and think I'm a fan.  I'm gonna try the Vixen color (the dark red one) today.  

• Love 1