Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Panel Members

I've been sucked into watching this show way too much, and I blame the panelists!

My favorites* are Ron Funches (who was in the Enlisted premiere! I'm really hoping we get to see Pvt. Huggins again!), Tom Lennon, Kumail Nanjiani, and Natasha Leggero.

There's no rhyme or reason for who I like to watch; but I do know if I see Ron Funches is going to be on, I'll blow past my bedtime and stay up way to late. Tom Lennon is an exec producer, and I'm sure it was his connections that got us the State reunion in January. Kumail is hysterical, love his sly wit; and for some reason, Natasha makes me giggle; I think she's just so willing to go to inappropriate places, and that pleases me.

Anyone else?

*I reserve the right to add/subtract/modify this list at any time.

• Love 2

I agree with both of you, and I'd like to add in that Weird Al was awesome as well.

On a recent Nerdist podcast, Matt Mira said that they're looking into a second-screen experience, and his idea was to just have a camera isolated on Doug Benson through the entire podcast.

I do wish they could have had a full "Original UCB" reunion last night like they had for The State. I mean, what's Amy Pohler doing these days anyway?

Has John Hodgeman been on yet? I'd love to see him as a guest.

• Love 1

Well, on DLM, Doug's got responsibilities, and has gotten pretty good at modulating how high (or drunk) he can get before he risks the show turning into an out-of-control trainwreck. On @Midnight, I think he may be aiming to see just how high he can get and still function enough that the episode is usable.

I do wish that there was a way to get some of the CBB/DLM characters on @Midnight, like "Werner Herzog" or the recent, fantastic "Mark Wahlburg."

• Love 1

I agree with the people who've mentioned Ron Funches. I didn't know much about him before this show, and I find him very charming. And I'll watch anything with Paul F. Tompkins.

I thought there were interesting differences between the State reunion and the UCB reunion. Apparently the State is built around people refusing to laugh at each other's jokes unless they're really, really funny, and that really came through at the end, where none of the judging members cracked a smile for the final FTW entries. But the UCB is all about saying yes to each other, and as a result, that episode had people building on each other's jokes and even doing callbacks like they were doing an improv show.

I might be imagining some of this.

So tonight is a Community-themed episode - I have high hopes, Jim Rash, Danny Pudi, and Gillian Jacobs.

Edited to add - so it was a fairly low scoring game, but there was obvious affection between the three panelists. I was impressed with Gillian Jacob, and Jim Rash was quite awesome (see: Oscars/Angelina's Leg as reference). I'm so used to Danny Pudi as Abed that it was nice to see him 'do Abed' for a minute, but I quite honestly enjoyed seeing him as himself, and not his character.

My pick for favorite here would be Jim Rash, with Danny edging Gillian, but JUST barely...

Edited by stacey

So tonight is a Community-themed episode - I have high hopes, Jim Rash, Danny Pudi, and Gillian Jacobs.

Edited to add - so it was a fairly low scoring game, but there was obvious affection between the three panelists. I was impressed with Gillian Jacob, and Jim Rash was quite awesome (see: Oscars/Angelina's Leg as reference). I'm so used to Danny Pudi as Abed that it was nice to see him 'do Abed' for a minute, but I quite honestly enjoyed seeing him as himself, and not his character.

My pick for favorite here would be Jim Rash, with Danny edging Gillian, but JUST barely...

Oooohhh! I'm so excited to watch this one now. :)

I like any theme night. The State, UCB, the guys from the Nerdist -- even the women that made Camp Takota, even though I've barely heard of them, were fun because they had a built-in rapport.

I like any theme night. The State, UCB, the guys from the Nerdist -- even the women that made Camp Takota, even though I've barely heard of them, were fun because they had a built-in rapport.

I have to agree, a lot of times I don't even realize that there's a 'theme' going on until after the fact, but I do notice that there's some great chemistry going on between the panelists.

That said, I'm really bummed that Ron Funches hasn't shown up since I declared my adoration for him. I'm starting to think I jinxed it. Please come back, Ron Funches!

I just adore watching Chris Hardwich.  I notice how his eyes shine with the light hits them!!

My favorite panelist so far was Wil Wheaton when he was on with Jonah and Matt.  I listen to the Nerdist podcast daily so its cool to see these folks on the tv too.

I've occasionally be surprised by some of the non-comedians.  Don't know if they were "prepped" in any way, or if the show has been really luck with them actually being funny.  For example, I never actually expected Chris Jericho to be funny.  I DID expect Weird Al to be, but was still surprised they had him on.  Dominic Monaghan was even more of a revelation than Chris Jericho.  He was just spot on.

Others... hmm. I agree with the person who nominated Ron Funches as one of the best, and also Paul F. Thompkins (one of the best reasons to miss Best Week Ever).  Nikki Glaser surprised me with how funny she is--a great dry wit.  Michael Ian Black has always been one of my faves off this show--I didn't think he was totally on point when they had him on with the rest of The State cast, but they need him back on his own. 

Hannibal Buress was great too.  Doug Benson of course, although I think I need a rest from him now.  

Wil Wheaton worked well mostly because of his close relationship with Hardwick.  A lot of it was kind inside humor though, which people who have seen various videos and appearances with the two of them over the years would get more than the casual TV viewer.  

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I created a new topic called "Panel Wish List" as a kind of inverse to this topic.  Here seems to be about people who have appeared who we loved, and there is for speculation/suggestions of people who HAVEN'T appeared on @Midnight that we'd love to see.

Panel Wish List topic

I've occasionally be surprised by some of the non-comedians.  Don't know if they were "prepped" in any way, or if the show has been really luck with them actually being funny.  For example, I never actually expected Chris Jericho to be funny.  I DID expect Weird Al to be, but was still surprised they had him on.  Dominic Monaghan was even more of a revelation than Chris Jericho.  He was just spot on.

Others... hmm. I agree with the person who nominated Ron Funches as one of the best, and also Paul F. Thompkins (one of the best reasons to miss Best Week Ever).  Nikki Glaser surprised me with how funny she is--a great dry wit.  Michael Ian Black has always been one of my faves off this show--I didn't think he was totally on point when they had him on with the rest of The State cast, but they need him back on his own. 

Hannibal Buress was great too.  Doug Benson of course, although I think I need a rest from him now.  

Wil Wheaton worked well mostly because of his close relationship with Hardwick.  A lot of it was kind inside humor though, which people who have seen various videos and appearances with the two of them over the years would get more than the casual TV viewer.  

Good points - Chris Jericho WAS hysterical. Thumbs up on Hannibal Buress, and yes, I'm in need of a break from Doug Benson's stoner routine.

People had been asking Wil Wheaton if he would be on the show on Twitter and his Tumblr when it first came on, and he was hesitant, he felt that he couldn't play at the same speed as professional comedians. I think that episode was a perfect blend, because the timing was slower, and they all know each other well.

• Love 1

I've really enjoyed Ron Funches. He seems to be having so much fun up there, giggling at his own jokes.

And Hannibal Buress and Doug Benson make it look effortless. The angle of their jokes always surprise me, especially since Doug is probably working in an altered state.

• Love 1

I didn't know much about Hannibal Burress until I saw him on the show, but I thought he was hilarious. I always love Greg Proops, and I'd love to see a Who's Line panel, if there hasn't been one already.

(edited)

Hannibal has a comedy special, Hannibal Buress: Animal Furnace (because it rhymes, sort of?), that ran on Comedy Central. I don't see it on Netflix, but it's good stuff. If you happen to find it, it's worth watching!

Edited by bilgistic

I think my ultimate panel would be Greg Proops, Tom Lennon, and either Ron Funches or Natasha Leggero.

I'd go for some totally wacky combo, like Funches, Weird Al, and Nikki Glaser.

The episode with Grace, Mamrie Hart, and Hannah Hart will always be my favourite so those three ladies get me super excited when they're on. 

I keep thinking one of these days I'll tire of Funches but then he giggles and all is right in the world. 

• Love 2

Ron Funches, Rhys Darby, Tim Minchin (even though he was only on once), Paul F. Thompkins, Scott Aukerman, Tom Lennon, Greg Proops and Hannibal Burress.

My least favorite panelists are Whitney Cummings and Chris D'elia. Those two can stay off my screen permanently.

I'm surprised to have arrived at this opinion, but I think Drew Carey is an excellent panelist and I always enjoy him. It's not just the way he acts like he's working out his answers while he gives them, although his selling ability is certainly part of it. But I also like that he's bringing his Whose Line tendency to laugh at people's jokes. He seems delighted at everyone else's answers, which is something I appreciate. He's not pulling focus, but he's doing a solid supporting job even when he's not in the spotlight. Good job, Drew!

• Love 5

We have very similar tastes. Ron, Tom, and Kumail are three of my favorites. I enjoy Sklar Bros., Paul F. Thompkins, and Doug Benson in general, so I like them on the show, but I don't know that they excel. 

I'd have to remove the Sklars from that list. I'm very tired on them on this show and don't care to see them again (or at least give them about 6 months off).

• Love 1

I think she was too busy laughing. I can't really criticize her for that. I did very much enjoy her and Paul doing the "Clink!" from Thrilling Adventure Hour.

Also, right at the end, after PFT had won, Chris told Tom Lennon that he came close to winning. And Tom just shook his head to indicate that he didn't really have a chance.

• Love 1