Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Hot Potato Soup

• Start Topic

So there were four of them? Loved the lampshading of the original spec that they were LMDs. And L.T. was great, "There was enough DNA to start a clone army." Funny, but ew.

So cat, fully out of bag. At least they didn't go full Fringe on this.

• Love 7

A lot of good stuff this episode.

It's a good thing I love Fitz; I am so waiting for the big reveal on his father. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for an older Scottish man that will inevitably show up. 

Well, the LMD is out of the bag. Now the next couple of episodes will involve them looking for May.

Damnit, Radcliffe! I've really wanted to like you! John Hannah is doing a good job in making him somewhat redeemable, though. He's avoided physically hurting anyone, at the very least. 

The Koenigs are a great family unit. I loved LT (I think that's her name) and this show really has done a great job when it comes to their female characters. 

• Love 2

Quake/Black Widow ships? I do not want to go to there. Nothing against Daisy, but that's a slippery, squicky slope. As far as finding out about that, Daisy pales to Sam & Dean. Poor bastards. Yes, they know you're brothers.

Great to see Patton Oswalt back, and the mystery of the Koenings solved. Four dopey brothers and their surly sister works for me. Glad I'm not the one thinking "Life Model Decoys" in the first season.

Only reason why I'd want happytimes between Phil and June (not "May") is so Coulson would get into that knowing she wasn't "real." Not that June would be obvious, but it would be funny to see Phil that alert . . . to the point where he'd do a striptease set to "I Touch Myself," and springs would pop out of her. Yes, I have too much free time.

"I Like Hearing Robots Scream" should be on Mac's business cards, if that isn't the case already.

• Love 5

Great seeing the Koenings again, even if I still feel sadness every time I see Patton Oswalt, after what happened to his wife.  I hope he's hanging in there; I'm sure it's rough.  Loved the reveal of LT.  Artemis Pebdani was the perfect choice for the role.

So, LMD May has been finally exposed.  At least Coulson only kissed her and he found out before anything too romantic happened.  Still, I can only imagine how this is going to effect everyone.  Not to mention LMD May, who basically got abandoned by Radcliffe at the end, and they're still keeping her alive.

Meanwhile, the real Radcliffe and Aida are chilling on a Russian sub with John Pyper-Ferguson's character, and this new character played by Roan from The 100.  They all have different goals, and are basically aligning themselves to help one other.  Radcliffe wants the book, Ferguson just hates Inhumans, and Roan actually wants to go after Coulson, because he blames him for everything.  I did like seeing the photos from Coulson's times on the various Marvel films.

We are so going to meet Fitz' father, aren't we?  I'm not sure who would scare me more: a protective Mack or a pissed-of Simmons.  Fitz' dad better watch his ass!

John Hannah was fantastic as the LMD Radcliffe; especially when he started fritzing out.

Looks like now it's going to be all about the team finding the real May.  Go team, go!

• Love 3

Y'know for a second there, I almost thought we may have seen a central mission go off relatively successfully. This team can't buy a win mid-season this year. Sorry, Phil I don't buy your small bit of Intel as a true victory in spite of SHIELD losing the Darkhold. 

Speaking of the Darkhold, it's losing my interest. We don't know what it really contains  (besides "all the secrets of the universe") and I don't have total confidence the show will be able to tell us. 

• Love 7

He's avoided physically hurting anyone, at the very least. 

He's not good for doing this, he's just the type of evil that's squeamish about the rough stuff.

We don't know what it really contains (besides "all the secrets of the universe")

In the comics, correct me if I'm wrong?, but the Darkhold isn't quite just a book; it's more of a way for a nigh-on-high powerful demon god named Chthon, once vanquished from our realm by a dude who eats gods (because of course), to keep plying his nastiness on humans from the beyond. It was used to create the first vampires, and basically exists so Chthon-in-exile can hardcore fuck people over for shits and giggles when they come knocking for a freebie.

TL;DR When you read the Darkhold you're really kinda communicating with a demon god who will give you just enough of the power you crave to kill yourself with.

• Love 7

St Mungos is a real school in Glasgow -  Nikki Cross from the WWE went there

Daisy's question to LT about growing up with all the brothers was beyond meta .Chloe gets asked that all the time (she has 6 brothers) ,I even saw her getting asked about it in interviews yesterday .LT's answer was also partially ripped off from jokes Chloe has made about it .

And they also let Patton and Chloe improv a lot of their stuff

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, LMD May has been finally exposed.  At least Coulson only kissed her and he found out before anything too romantic happened.  Still, I can only imagine how this is going to effect everyone.  Not to mention LMD May, who basically got abandoned by Radcliffe at the end, and they're still keeping her alive.

I'm sure the show is going to gloss over it, but everything about how their kiss and the discussion after when Coulson found out she was a LMD bugged me. First off, I don't care if they copied May's brain; May doesn't stop in the middle of a dangerous mission to kill Coulson. We know from dialogue that part of her extra programming was the directive to get close to Coulson. Actual May wouldn't do that and it bothers me ship-wise that Coulson doesn't know that about May. If there's is supposed to be this significant relationship built on years and years of friendship it bugs me that Coulson doesn't know May as well as he should.

Then LMayD tells Coulson that she may be a robot but all her feelings and desires are real. Ick. Assuming that is true (and I do think it is. There has always been something between May and Coulson) that is a huge violation of May's privacy. The entire LMayD thing is. May is being replaced by a near identical duplicate and that duplicate is sharing and learning things with the people around her that May isn't a part of. It's not Coulson's fault but when they get May back he's going to have this knowledge about May that she might not have wanted to share and I'm confident they're going to gloss over that.

Finally keeping the LMayD because she's all they might have left of May is ridiculous to me. Is Coulson going to power her up for chats? Sexytimes? The fact that she exists is a total violation of May. She was kidnapped or as far as they know killed, her memories copied and sent in to betray the agency and people May cared deeply about. The LMayD isn't there to make Coulson happy. It's a symbol of a crime committed against May and keeping it is gross. And it's obviously not about the ethics of is a LMD a life since they had no problem destroying Radcliffe and Aida 1.0. It's just about hanging on to May in some fashion.

(And that was way longer a rant than I intended for sure but I really think the show has botched Philinda with this plotline and I'm confident after years of watching this show that all this won't matter. Coulson will get his girl regardless of issues she should have with the situation just like Fitz got Simmons despite pretty compelling writing from her side of things that suggested she wasn't looking for that relationship.)

• Love 10
52 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Finally keeping the LMayD because she's all they might have left of May is ridiculous to me. Is Coulson going to power her up for chats? Sexytimes? The fact that she exists is a total violation of May. She was kidnapped or as far as they know killed, her memories copied and sent in to betray the agency and people May cared deeply about. The LMayD isn't there to make Coulson happy. It's a symbol of a crime committed against May and keeping it is gross. And it's obviously not about the ethics of is a LMD a life since they had no problem destroying Radcliffe and Aida 1.0. It's just about hanging on to May in some fashion.

I agree with this point. Coulson is going to keep LMayD alive for himself, not because it's the right thing to do. I think keeping LMayD up and running allows the show to have the real May missing for a couple of episodes longer as well, if they really want a mini arc of them trying to find May. Finding May, wherever she's hidden (because we don't actually know where Radcliffe and Aida put her) means that they've probably captured Radcliffe or Aida, something that the show probably wants to delay for as long as possible. I don't imagine it'll take the next ten episodes to find her, but I do think it'll go past next episode.

I will say that it did take Fitz a couple of episodes to destroy Aida 1.0 and a full episode to destroy Radcliffe. It really took Radcliffe LMD pushing Fitz's most sensitive button that got him destroyed as well. I think Coulson will talk to LMayD not just to get as much information as possible, but to hold onto any semblance of May in case they don't find her. I can't really blame him for acting emotionally when LMayD is not destroyed right away. I'll put the blame on the others for not doing what needs to be done, much like what Simmons/Mack were trying to do for Fitz with Aida/Radcliffe. 

57 minutes ago, vibeology said:

First off, I don't care if they copied May's brain; May doesn't stop in the middle of a dangerous mission to kill Coulson. We know from dialogue that part of her extra programming was the directive to get close to Coulson. Actual May wouldn't do that and it bothers me ship-wise that Coulson doesn't know that about May. If there's is supposed to be this significant relationship built on years and years of friendship it bugs me that Coulson doesn't know May as well as he should.

Well, Coulson didn't really buy it, did he? He questioned why May was pointing a gun at him and realized that she was an LMD pretty quickly. Now, I would think Coulson would question May kissing him in a middle of a mission more. She's always saved the personal stuff for after missions, not during it. It bothers me more that Coulson didn't see that point when they were flirting and then kissing. 

• Love 6

Another solid episode.  I loved the Knoenigs.

My understanding is that LMD has three more episodes and then the third arc beings in April and runs the last 7 eps / until the end of the season.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, Coulson didn't really buy it, did he? He questioned why May was pointing a gun at him and realized that she was an LMD pretty quickly. Now, I would think Coulson would question May kissing him in a middle of a mission more. She's always saved the personal stuff for after missions, not during it. It bothers me more that Coulson didn't see that point when they were flirting and then kissing. 

I think anyone starts asking questions when being held at gunpoint by a friend. That leaves red flags in the dust. The in-mission kissing was a yellow warning light. I just needed Coulson to know something was wrong then for a couple of reasons. First, if May is this big love, I need him to know her well enough to know when she acting wildly out of character. Second, Coulson is supposed to be good with people in general so if he'd been smart enough to figure out that she was a robot before she turned on him that would have been good for Coulson's capabilities. And I think he needed that especially considering last episode he walked into a trap. Coulson could have known something was wrong right after the kiss, May could have gone RoboMay to grab the Darkhold and we could have been in the exact same spot in the same amount of time without undercutting Coulson or the May/Coulson romance.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Another solid episode.  I loved the Knoenigs.

My understanding is that LMD has three more episodes and then the third arc beings in April and runs the last 7 eps / until the end of the season.  

I loved the Koenigs too.  I saw upthread that someone identified L.T. as an actress named Artemis Penjabi.  I missed the guest star credits so I was thinking she looked like Kathy Najimy or Nia Vardalos.  On my computer screen (I watched this episode on the ABC site) they all look very similar.

I am pleased to hear the that LMD arc is almost over.  I am so very tired of it.  Looking forward to the next arc already.

Nice to see that Quake got her quake effects back!  And funny to hear she doesn't like the name Quake.  My liking for Daisy continues to grow, after thoroughly despising her when she was the special snowflake.  She was really funny this episode.  When Sam tried to say it was Billy cowering behind the bar and she says it was him, with "you're literally wearing the same thing right now".  And when learning about the fan fiction, "Did not need to know that".  Quack!

• Love 2

So is Susan Ross gone from Scandal?  That's the only explanation I have for Artemis Pebdani showing up here.

Glad that the team knows about May now.  I hope they find her soon.  Before the imminent, weeks-long hiatus we're obviously going to get in either March or April.

Agreed that Radcliffe's only redeeming quality at this point is his refusal to cause any more unnecessary harm to people.

I wonder if the mention of Fitz's father means that he's going to show up soon?  And if he is, could he be "the Superior" being talked about?

Appreciated Bobbi and Hunter being mentioned.  But it still hurts that they're still gone and not coming back (yet, I hope).

I just realized that with the mention of Fitz's father, finally, in the fourth season, we still don't know a damn thing about Simmons other than the fact that she's English.  I hope we can learn more about her soon.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Michel said:

So is Susan Ross gone from Scandal?  That's the only explanation I have for Artemis Pebdani showing up here.

Glad that the team knows about May now.  I hope they find her soon.  Before the imminent, weeks-long hiatus we're obviously going to get in either March or April.

Agreed that Radcliffe's only redeeming quality at this point is his refusal to cause any more unnecessary harm to people.

I wonder if the mention of Fitz's father means that he's going to show up soon?  And if he is, could he be "the Superior" being talked about?

Appreciated Bobbi and Hunter being mentioned.  But it still hurts that they're still gone and not coming back (yet, I hope).

I just realized that with the mention of Fitz's father, finally, in the fourth season, I just realized that we still don't know a damn thing about Simmons other than the fact that she's English.  I hope we can learn more about her soon.

I dont watch Scandal anymore, but that show had a lenghty filiming hiatus and is doing a slightly shorter season to accomodate Washington's pregnancy.

As for this shows schedule, my understanding is that we have three new episodes the next three weeks, and then it returns Apr 4 for the final 7 eps with the season finale on May 16.

I believe March will be Bachelor and DwtS specials in the slot.

Who should be cast as Old Fitz?

• Sean Connery
  • Brian Cox
  • Brendan Gleeson
  • Anthony Hopkins

ETA:

• Craig Ferguson
  • Gerard Butler
Edited by paigow
Forgot about Scottish Vikings
16 minutes ago, paigow said:
  • Sean Connery
  • Brian Cox
  • Brendan Gleeson
  • Anthony Hopkins

Sean Connery's retired, and he probably wouldn't do TV even if he wasn't. Gleeson's Irish and Hopkins is Welsh. Which leaves: Brian Cox. I could live with him, even though he'd be a little old.

21 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Sean Connery's retired, and he probably wouldn't do TV even if he wasn't. Gleeson's Irish and Hopkins is Welsh. Which leaves: Brian Cox. I could live with him, even though he'd be a little old.

Peter Capaldi, anyone?

• Love 10
12 hours ago, vibeology said:

I'm sure the show is going to gloss over it, but everything about how their kiss and the discussion after when Coulson found out she was a LMD bugged me. First off, I don't care if they copied May's brain; May doesn't stop in the middle of a dangerous mission to kill Coulson. We know from dialogue that part of her extra programming was the directive to get close to Coulson. Actual May wouldn't do that and it bothers me ship-wise that Coulson doesn't know that about May. If there's is supposed to be this significant relationship built on years and years of friendship it bugs me that Coulson doesn't know May as well as he should.

Then LMayD tells Coulson that she may be a robot but all her feelings and desires are real. Ick. Assuming that is true (and I do think it is. There has always been something between May and Coulson) that is a huge violation of May's privacy. The entire LMayD thing is. May is being replaced by a near identical duplicate and that duplicate is sharing and learning things with the people around her that May isn't a part of. It's not Coulson's fault but when they get May back he's going to have this knowledge about May that she might not have wanted to share and I'm confident they're going to gloss over that.

(And that was way longer a rant than I intended for sure but I really think the show has botched Philinda with this plotline and I'm confident after years of watching this show that all this won't matter. Coulson will get his girl regardless of issues she should have with the situation just like Fitz got Simmons despite pretty compelling writing from her side of things that suggested she wasn't looking for that relationship.)

I agree that this show is going to gloss over the whole issue involving Coulson and LMD May because of the way they handled the Fitz and Simmons own pairing up (which to this day, I still do not believe that Simmons is in love with Fitz- maybe she has settled for him (which is kind of depressing when you think about it....) even when they have totally established through writing, that Simmons never had those feelings for Fitz- and like you I am confident that it will happen because of watching this show since Season 1. I and really don't care about upsetting the shippers at this point. It was totally a wrong decision to pair them up and it's wrong to pair up Coulson and May. Especially now with this whole LMD story arc. I do not care if Radcliffe scanned May's brain because we know that LMD May was also programed to get close to Coulson. She is acting on programming and not because of what the real May feels. Also, like you I wonder what the real May will feel once she finds out that Coulson had a relationship with her replacement/fraud and/or what will happen to LMD May. I do fear that they will just write off the real May and keep LMD May around- for Coulson- and that the real May will somehow die by the end of this season (and honestly, I hope that May doesn't die but knowing how this show just like to gloss over things, this in my opinion, might happen). 

• Love 3

I think the last thing this show needs is a plot point about fitz having daddy issues. I rolled my eyes when that scene started.

there are so many interesting things to put on the show dealing with inhumans and the senator and now some hot Russian sub guy, I just can't take such an unnecessary tangent.

• Love 6

I have been barely hanging on to my interest in this show. When I can't make it more than ten minutes through an episode with multiple Patton Oswalts, I know it's time for me to say goodbye.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, vibeology said:

Hmm, I actually saw it much differently than you did. To me, it seemed apparent that the team kept LMayD (or June, lol to whoever made that name up) in the case that they're too late and the real May is dead. I didn't get the impression that they would power the thing back on, but rather keep it in storage as  the last 'piece' of the friend they lost (assuming it comes to that).  When May does return (we all know she will), I can see there being a scene where May personally burns the LMayD body (maybe with the rest of the team watching in the background), and that's how the arc closes. 

Speaking on the writers glossing over May's violation.. it could go either way. Hive's violation of both Daisy and James/Hellfire were brought up frequently. However, Ward's rape at the hands of Loereli was majorly glossed over, along with the whole 'dubious consent' thing between May and Ward. Though, I can't see the writers NOT discussing the problematic aspects.. especially if they're going to attempt Philanda for real.

Edited by teenj12
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, PreviouslyTV said:

If the SHIELD agents got to date outside their show, what would their pairings be called?

View the full article

MADE OF WIN. Not the least of which is a reference to the Nome King in the Oz books.

I was happy to meet the remaining Koenigs, and it was fun to see She-Koenig ruling them all.

May-Coulson relationship is stupid. Get it off my screen.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Iain Glen?

Ser Jorah Mormont is off on his walkabout to find a cure for Greyscale, who better to help him find it than his son's genius biotech girlfriend?

AoS: Resident Evil MMXL

15 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

I think the last thing this show needs is a plot point about fitz having daddy issues. I rolled my eyes when that scene started.

So, in response to dwindling ratings TPTB have decided to double down on Daddy Issues and Inter-office Romances. That is not good. (in my opinion).

I enjoyed seeing Patton Oswald and the guy who plays Capt. Charles Vane on Black Sails. But just having Patton Oswald as a guest star doesn't automatically equal hilarity - there needs to be some good writing to go along with it. 

It befuddles me how SHIELD has access to Radcliffe's left-behind technology but seems completely oblivious to how world changing it could be. There is a memory downloader (no need for torture or interrogations ) and the ability to create humanoid robots that apparently can pass any scanning detection.
Now SHIELD can create a robot army.
(If the excuse is that it would cost too much, how was Radcliffe able to build four of them using materials from SHIELD ? (Aida, May, Radcliffe, Aida#2) ) 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

Honestly, I felt the same way lol. Seems like something that should of been explored earlier in the series. 

• Love 3

If Fitz having Daddy issues distracts or destroys  FitsSimmons shmoopiness, I'm all on board. Both actors are selling it for all their worth, but IMO there's no narrative urgency to have them as a couple, except for angst relationship issues that I don't watch this show for. 

Really interesting reading about the aspect of consent issues about a possible Phil/May hookup in the wake of LMayD. That is disconcerting, to say the least. And that the show will probably gloss over it...that's disconcerting too. And all too possible. My only solace is that May is very direct and clear-minded about things, and that it would be in character for her to struggle with that. (And then the show drops it after one speech in one episode.) I think Ming Na Wen has been doing an amazing job selling LMayD's own internal conflict. I actually felt sorry for her even as I rooted against her.

John Hannah is doing such a good job as a devious bastard, both as Bot!Radcliffe and human. And there's just something about how their scenes together amplifies his and De Caestecker's Scots accents....mmmmm.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, teenj12 said:

Hmm, I actually saw it much differently than you did. To me, it seemed apparent that the team kept LMayD (or June, lol to whoever made that name up) in the case that they're too late and the real May is dead. I didn't get the impression that they would power the thing back on, but rather keep it in storage as  the last 'piece' of the friend they lost 

Fitz must have seen Star Trek: Nemesis...They keep the crappy prototype B4 alive because he [it] carries all of Data's memories.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, teenj12 said:

Honestly, I felt the same way lol. Seems like something that should of been explored earlier in the series. 

Possibly, but all the characters haven't had many family issues explored, to be fair. We have met Daisy's parents and got a whole season of her family issues, and then some. Ward got his family issues in season 1/season 2. We met May's mom once or twice. We've met Mack's brother once. Everyone else haven't had their families talked about much at all. I just think it's about time we're learning more about our main characters and their history. Part of me wished it was Simmons, as we know nothing about her family besides maybe one throwaway line back in early season 1. But Fitz is the next best thing. Plus, it doesn't deal with the Fitzsimmons romance, so I'm happy. 

• Love 5
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 0:55 PM, mrspidey said:

When Robcliffe started talking Latin all I could think was "Great, they've accidently accessed the Batiatus-build."

I thought the same thing! Except if it was Batiatus-build, it would be swearing A LOT more.

I loved seeing the Koenigs again, including their kickass big sister! Always love having them around. Although, I am weirdly sad that they didn't turn out to be LMDs. It would have been nice to get a robot who actually was a good guy, and didn't go all Skynet on us, a plot we have all seen about 500 times at this point. Still, their always welcome here, no matter who or what they are.

Hey there Captain Vane! Your looking good these days. I liked his call backs to Coulson's history with the MCU, and some other references to the rest of the universe. Speaking of, is it me, or are Russian people, like, the Orcs of the MCU? Always Chaotic Evil. I literally cannot think of one Russian person in this whole franchise who isn't an asshole at best, and a murderous villain at worst. Well, except for Natasha, but I assume she's become an American citizen at this point, so that only kind of counts I think.

Poor LMD May. She breaks my heart. Its not her fault she is the way she is. I want her and Human May to team up and kick some evil ass. I would so get behind that team up.

"Mays a freaking robot!" I really do like Daisy a whole lot when she isn't the center of the show.

Yeah, Fitzs dad is totally going to show up at some point. I would be very wary, Fitz the Elder. Your on Mack's List. You do NOT want to end up on Mack's list. And of course Randcliff knew his dad. "Glasgow's not that big."

• Love 2
9 hours ago, rubyred said:

If Fitz having Daddy issues distracts or destroys  FitsSimmons shmoopiness, I'm all on board. Both actors are selling it for all their worth, but IMO there's no narrative urgency to have them as a couple, except for angst relationship issues that I don't watch this show for. 

Oh, yes, if this does break up the Fitz/Simmons shmoopiness then I am all for this (actually I was hoping that the AIDA thing would finally do it) but then again, I feel like the writers will just force a scene will Fitz and Simmons will be "happy" together and/or gets forgotten about. 

8 hours ago, paigow said:

Fitz must have seen Star Trek: Nemesis...They keep the crappy prototype B4 alive because he [it] carries all of Data's memories.

Picard and Data had to remember Lore and what he wanted to accomplish/did, before bringing B4 back to the Enterprise (okay, so obviously, for plot reasons no one brought up Lore at all).

• Love 1

So during the episode I asked myself: "How are they going to deal with the ethical implications of this? Because this is a doozy. If these robots have light-brains and are basically identical copies of the original, with only slight alterations, they are basically human, aren't they? They are certainly living feeling beings. It would be wrong to kill them but they can't exactly let them roam around either."

The answer to that was ofcourse "lol, they don't deal with it and just burn them to shit". I have to say I'm disappointed. I would have expected more from this show...

On 2.2.2017 at 1:05 AM, rubyred said:

Peter Capaldi, anyone?

That is a really great idea. And he should be free at the moment, as the current season of DW should be in the can and he's leaving after the christmas special anyway.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, paigow said:

How are the Koenigs masters of being invisible and hard to find when Thurston performs regularly in public?? He is the weakest link and hostage bait.

Thurston as a hostage would be like The Ransom Of Red Chief.