Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Hardball

thewhiteowl

After a tight race and shocking conclusion to the election, flashbacks reveal what happened on the campaign trail and just how far Olivia was willing to go to win. Meanwhile, Fitz and Abby are faced with an unprecedented national crisis, and the gladiators are determined to get answers.

Everyone on this show sucks. I know this has been said a lot, but I felt it needed to be said again.

Why doesn't Olivia just release the FBI call saying it was Cyrus along with the news that the woman who made the call got blown up? The conspiracy theorists will take it from there and it will be a media circus. Then Mellie can campaign the electoral college that she's a better choice. Fitz's speech saying Cyrus deserves it doesn't have to mean anything if the electoral college doesn't want it too. 

It would be amazing if in real life the Democratic nominee asked the Republican candidate to be his VP. 

• Love 4

So.. the outcome of this show is that everyone is a terrible human being? No soul survivors.

I had hope Marcus was left but this episode wasn't great for him. And there is nobody left who even has a shed of decency.

Like I said last week, I'm honestly not going to be surprised when they reveal the killer because really like I said last week who wouldn't? These people would kill for a stick of a Juicy Fruit.

• Love 5

Olivia's the worst, the scene of her walking out at the end all smug and self righteous. How many people has she, her boyfriend brother Jake and her daddy murdered? Yet she's so full over herself to blame Cyrus.

It's obviously not him, it's all coming too together to easy. So can't wait until she looks like a stupid fool. 

Mellie should have taken the VP.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 5

Yes, David, the Constitution is going up in flames, but right alongside of it is the credibility of this show.  So much eye-rolling and handwaving just to get through it all.  The FBI really needs to update its security if anyone can use that trick to get through the gate.  And of course you can always buffalo the intern to hand over national security evidence without as much as a signature.  When the Director returns to her office and starts tracking all these loose ends as to why the evidence just went missing, things are going to happen.  And then the WH Chief of Staff shows up at the jail with the NSA director to engage in a blatantly illegal interrogation and all David can do is drink a little wine.  Does Abby ever have time to actually do, you know, actual Chief of Staff duties?  Because the White House is, apparently, a still no appointment, drop in central whenever you feel like it, for Olivia.  Oh well, maybe I'll just have some red wine too.  I'm just here for the crazy.

• Love 4

I dislike Olivia and last night's episode made me dislike her even more. I didn't think that was possible. I have no idea what to expect from this season, but I hope there's a way to redeem Olivia a little bit.

I can't even pinpoint what it was about this episode I didn't like.

Was anyone else struck by the sight of Olivia having dinner with another Black woman? While doing my rewatch, it struck me that the only other Black woman on the show has been Olivia's crazy, terrorist mother. (I could be wrong, so please correct me if I am.)

3 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

The only person who will genuinely surprise me as Franks killer is Cyrus's husband. Even Jakes wife wouldn't surprise me, because Terri Schuester can be a crazy woman when she wants/needs to be.

Not even Cyrus's husband would surprise me at this point. He did start out being paid to sleep with Cyrus to bring him down, so we know he's capable of doing things for money. With this show, we may find out he's the country's top sniper spy and takes their daughter with them on missions.

• Love 7

On the thread for last week's episode, Emma9 said,

There's also the ex-Secret Service guy Cyrus dumped in the last finale - either he's still loyal and did it so Cyrus could be president, or he's not and is also setting up a frame job.

Great spec. I agree that Tom did it, for either of the reasons named: to elevate Cyrus, or, to bring him down. Also, to save himself from prosecution again (now that we know Vargas knew about Cyrus's latest homicidal machinations) and because Tom's still Rowan's creature. As is Olivia, apparently.,

• Love 4

My theory is that Cyrus did it or the least it was Livs' dad.... The thing is that I think they want to confuse us and some how let us believe that there is a real option that Liv did it... 

• Love 1

Blah.  I just don't care anymore.  Last week made me care a little, and then this week was like "Just kidding. Go back to not caring."

It seems like Olivia was feeling jealous of Mellie, over really feeling loved. What with that speech to Quinn, about not running away from love with the sociopath who wants to marry her. I would have told her to mind her own business, but I think they're all certifiable, so... 

i thought Mellie and Marcus were sweet, until he threw her over for a job, and then she did the same thing. Fitz can STFU. Just because. 

Maybe Olivia wasn't jealous. Maybe she just regretted her own decision. Although I don't know if she's missing Fitz, or just the White House. 

Edited by Anela
Auto-correct can bite me.
  • Love 3

I don't really believe that Cyrus is behind the Vargas assassination. For one thing, Rowan was the first one to float that idea and just about the only thing this show has been consistent on, it's that Rowan Pope is not to be trusted. Jake was only Mellie's VP so that Rowan would have that much more access to the President (if she won), and although it is unlikely in the extreme that he would leave the outcome of the election up to chance (i.e. actually allow it to be determined by the vote), there is just no way he wouldn't have a contingency plan in place if his candidate lost.

Liv's 'you can be happy, because you'll never be important' speech is a terrible thesis statement, both for a television show and for a life. I really liked Mellie & Olivia being besties, brief though it was. I mean, I know the show is DRAMATIC, but can someone be happy for an extended period of time, thus demonstrating that the drama is actually worth it?
Mellie and Marcus would be for that - they are a very likeable couple. Also, Mellie dusting her shoulder after the baseball pitch was so cute. I wish real-life female politicians being that happy and confident actually boosted their poll numbers.

I was a little torn on Fitz last night. On the one hand, he is still THE WORST. On the other hand, he is better than our actual president. Which made me wonder how the non-politician citizens of the Scandal-world have responded to this crazy administration. Are they organizing? I cannot believe that the women of the fictional United States have not yet revolted against Fitz and demanded his impeachment for high crimes and just being fucking terrible (but still, it should be noted, better than our actual president).

• Love 6

It makes me so sad that the writers for this show, who have such talented actors, have run out of storylines in less than 6 seasons. No judgment here. I'm glad I'm not a tv writer. I would have run out of ideas long ago.

There is simply just not a single truly compelling story, except perhaps Mellie and Marcus. Nor hardly any redeemable characters. 

The major storyline is "Who Killed Vargas?" And I don't even care. Except to hope that Cyrus "I Prefer to Be the Kingmaker, Not the King" Beane (sp?) doesn't really become the President. Or did they think we forgot that about Cyrus?

• Love 3

Was anyone else struck by the sight of Olivia having dinner with another Black woman? While doing my rewatch, it struck me that the only other Black woman on the show has been Olivia's crazy, terrorist mother. (I could be wrong, so please correct me if I am.)

There was her next door neighbor, (played by character actress Fran Bennett, probably best known as Nana Barnes on Community) who got killed when Olivia was kidnapped.

And later we saw the next door neighbors lover (played by the legendary Marla Gibbs) who hired Olivia to find out what happened to the neighbor.

And I think that may be it.

All of this jumping back and forth is confusing. (OK, I'm old, too.) My only guidepost was the disappearance and reappearance of Marcus's facial hair, but that only helps in scenes that he's in.

The one that threw me this time was when Mellie confronts Olivia about procuring the Press Secretary position for Marcus. I was SURE that took place in the past when they first started talking, because -- wouldn't Mellie have figured that out right away? But no, I gather it took place in the present, which makes no sense unless Mellie is much thicker than I'd figured.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, swimmyfish said:

Liv's 'you can be happy, because you'll never be important' speech is a terrible thesis statement, both for a television show and for a life. I really liked Mellie & Olivia being besties, brief though it was. I mean, I know the show is DRAMATIC, but can someone be happy for an extended period of time, thus demonstrating that the drama is actually worth it?

That's a Yes or No question and the answer is Shonda.

• Love 3

I liked it. Then again, I'm pretty easy to please. Lord help me, I like Olivia and Mellie as friends. And I hate to say it, but Olivia was right. Mellie would have lost a bunch of voters for publically being involved with Marcus.  It's so freaking wrong and unfair, but there's no way in hell a bunch of white Republican men would have been fine with their relationship. 

I want to see more of the FBI Director, though not as an enemy of Olivia's. I guess I'd like to see more female friendships on this show. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, swimmyfish said:

I was a little torn on Fitz last night. On the one hand, he is still THE WORST. On the other hand, he is better than our actual president. Which made me wonder how the non-politician citizens of the Scandal-world have responded to this crazy administration. Are they organizing? I cannot believe that the women of the fictional United States have not yet revolted against Fitz and demanded his impeachment for high crimes and just being fucking terrible (but still, it should be noted, better than our actual president).

Great post. That message is terrible but consistent. Wasn't that the reasoning Cyrus used on Olivia  when he wanted her to dump Fitz - "Great men can't be happy." I wonder if Shonda/TPTB believe this, or if TPTB created this premise and have been able to stand by it for the show over the 6 seasons. That would actually impress me since I think it's easy to mix up your characters' beliefs, especially when those beliefs are so off.

I also think your point about someone being happy to make the drama worth it is an excellent one. This is probably because I've been rewatching the entire series from season 1, but Olivia is so miserable. She was pretty impressive in season 1, but there was a point when she stopped being impressive and would just sashay into a room and shout or demand something. I started waiting for her to sat "thank you" to Jake a few times and she didn't. Without these little niceties, why do I care if these characters get what they want?

In the other thread, I admitted that, after 6 seasons, I just now (a few days ago) figured out I want Jake and Olivia to be endgame. I also figured out that even though I love Tony Goldwyn, I don't like Fitz and will be disappointed if we have to go down the Fitz/Olivia road again this season. I also realized that as insane and morally corrupt as the Scandal White House is, @swimmyfish, I would still take it over the US's current administration. And I also wondered what the people in Scandal world are doing. Maybe Shonda will throw something into the show about protestors now that a crazy administration has become a reality.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, reggiejax said:

There was her next door neighbor, (played by character actress Fran Bennett, probably best known as Nana Barnes on Community) who got killed when Olivia was kidnapped.

And later we saw the next door neighbors lover (played by the legendary Marla Gibbs) who hired Olivia to find out what happened to the neighbor.

And I think that may be it.

Thank you for the reminder. I skipped this episode during my rewatch because I wasn't a fan of the kidnapping episodes when I saw them live. I remember Marla Gibbs's "Where's the Black lady?" line and I remember thinking there's no way Olivia's Black neighbor's lover (I didn't remember they were lovers but it's been a while) would say that. She would know Olivia's name for several reasons: Olivia is "famous"; Olivia had the neighbor's key, or the neighbor had Olivia's key (I think?) and in a building like that, you would know your lover's next door neighbor. Especially since I think they live in the penthouse and there are only 2 apartments on that floor.

But that's off-topic, sorry. I just realized there was a Black woman who made the call to take out Olivia during the kidnapping episodes and also had Jake and Olivia arrested when they came to her with info about B613. I forgot what her job was.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, slade3 said:

Great post. That message is terrible but consistent. Wasn't that the reasoning Cyrus used on Olivia  when he wanted her to dump Fitz - "Great men can't be happy." I wonder if Shonda/TPTB believe this, or if TPTB created this premise and have been able to stand by it for the show over the 6 seasons. That would actually impress me since I think it's easy to mix up your characters' beliefs, especially when those beliefs are so off.

I also think your point about someone being happy to make the drama worth it is an excellent one. This is probably because I've been rewatching the entire series from season 1, but Olivia is so miserable. She was pretty impressive in season 1, but there was a point when she stopped being impressive and would just sashay into a room and shout or demand something. I started waiting for her to sat "thank you" to Jake a few times and she didn't. Without these little niceties, why do I care if these characters get what they want?

In the other thread, I admitted that, after 6 seasons, I just now (a few days ago) figured out I want Jake and Olivia to be endgame. I also figured out that even though I love Tony Goldwyn, I don't like Fitz and will be disappointed if we have to go down the Fitz/Olivia road again this season. I also realized that as insane and morally corrupt as the Scandal White House is, @swimmyfish, I would still take it over the US's current administration. And I also wondered what the people in Scandal world are doing. Maybe Shonda will throw something into the show about protestors now that a crazy administration has become a reality.

Actually I was thinking that Cyrus as President feels better to me than what we have right now, lol.  I mean - even Cyrus' crazy feels more quaint and sweet than what's happening now.  Isn't that nuts?  Suddenly Scandal feels almost utopic, lol.  Or at least less dystopian compared to real life.

Olivia has always been miserable - she was miserable in the pilot and she's miserable now.  I think that's kinda the point.  She can be take no prisoners and powerful, but she's still miserable.  The pilot laid this out - her colleague (that lawyer who left) was getting engaged and getting to have "normal" and Liv cried silently to herself after he left because she had power, but her love life?  Nope.  Because she didn't have the "love" part right.  So Liv was impressive (powerful) but miserable and alone.

Then, last season, Liv had EVERYTHING - she had Fitz and she had the White House - but then once the public found out she was forced into this "First Lady" role - where she had NO power - or at least she was forced to appear as if she had no power and completely drained.  Olivia is not "First Lady" - she's a Kingmaker - she's been the kingmaker since the pilot.  That's why Cyrus brought her in to help Fitz win the election - and then we ended up with Defiance.  So then Liv learned that having the "love" with Fitz where she had no power also wasn't enough for her.

So now Liv thinks you can't have the love AND the power.  But we saw that Mellie could have had love and some power (Cyrus' VP) - but this is about Olivia, and that would leave Liv out.  So she had to wreck that or at least get Mellie to understand that in the end, she wouldn't be happy with just that.  In some ways VP can feel a little First Lady-ish.  Both Mellie and Liv want the power.

And love.  They just haven't figured out how to have both fully yet, or whether that's even possible.  Life is about tradeoffs. 

So Olivia wasn't jealous that Mellie found love - she was upset because Mellie was her last chance to control the White House on her own merit - not just because she happened to be sleeping with the President (Fitz).  I think she was genuinely happy for Mellie - because even Olivia wants love and could see how happy Mellie was - BUT Mellie falling in love would wreck Mellie's chances for President during the campaign.  So Liv got Marcus the Press Secretary job to separate him from Mellie and trick Mellie into thinking he was just a social climber.  Then Mellie found out and called Liv out - she was going to take the VP role - which meant Liv's hope for controlling the president or being powerful that way in her own right was dashed.

I was SO HAPPY when Mellie came back to Liv.  

When Liv was dismissing the black senator (what was his name?), I kept wishing the show would bring on another powerful, amazing sista and see the dynamic play out between her and Liv.  Having her in Fitz's orbit is EVEN BETTER.  Seeing two sistas onscreen in the same scene together - that's rare, so thank you Shonda.  The conversation they had gave me such LIFE because everything they discussed was SO REAL and true.  And even with that sista solidarity they are clearly adversaries or rivals in some way.  Or frenemies.  There is definitely a history here - I can't wait to see what it is.  But FBI sista (what was her name?) better watch out - if she thinks she's going to waltz away with Fitz she's got another thing coming.

I kinda like the role reversal of Fitz as prey, with these two powerful women battling over him.  Many times it's men who have the pissing contest over a woman.  Although I'm not sure the convo with Liv/FBI lady fully passed the Bechdel test.  The convo they had prior to that did, but once it shifted to Fitz...   

Season 6 feels like a return to Season 1-2 form for me.  And I think Liv's motivations are becoming a lot more clear.  She really is her father's daughter.  I'm not sure that Cyrus killed Vargas - but I think someone did it for him.  Eli?  Jake?  Why is no one looking at Jake?  He made that poor man (though he was a racist) pee on himself.  That scene of him with his feet turned inward and a puddle of pee on the ground and the way he looked - wow - I forgot he was a racist and felt true pity for him because I can only imagine what Jake said/did to him.  Dang Jake from State Farm!  Did he kill Vargas or rig the election for Vargas so he could get out of the marriage with his stepford wife?  Who appears to be an alcoholic?

Chuckleberry Quinn was amusing this episode.  Charlie is a surprisingly funny addition to the Gladiator team.

What's Abby gonna do once Fitz leaves office?

I love this show again.  It's not - as Shonda has said since S1 - a fairytale - happy endings?  Pffft... this isn't that kind of show - unless Shonda plans for that to be the series finale.  I just don't think that's her plan though.

• Love 3

When Liv was dismissing the black senator (what was his name?), I kept wishing the show would bring on another powerful, amazing sista and see the dynamic play out between her and Liv.  Having her in Fitz's orbit is EVEN BETTER.  Seeing two sistas onscreen in the same scene together - that's rare, so thank you Shonda.  The conversation they had gave me such LIFE because everything they discussed was SO REAL and true.  And even with that sista solidarity they are clearly adversaries or rivals in some way.  Or frenemies.  There is definitely a history here - I can't wait to see what it is.  But FBI sista (what was her name?) better watch out - if she thinks she's going to waltz away with Fitz she's got another thing coming.

I kinda like the role reversal of Fitz as prey, with these two powerful women battling over him.  Many times it's men who have the pissing contest over a woman.  Although I'm not sure the convo with Liv/FBI lady fully passed the Bechdel test.  The convo they had prior to that did, but once it shifted to Fitz...   

I would have preferred if the FBI director hadn't been made an old friend of Liv's, for a couple of reasons. First and foremost being the fact that Liv doesn't have any friends. Who are they trying to  kid? But mostly though I really would have liked to have seen someone who was Liv's equal (though I doubt she ultimately will be portrayed that way) who not only wasn't a Liv ally but frankly, had no use for her. Just once I'd like to see someone who was totally unimpressed with Papa Pope's baby girl.

As for the Bechdel test, that scene failed miserably. Their whole interaction was all about Fitz. They may have been talking about other things prior to talking about Fitz, but even that was really about Fitz. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, J-Man said:

The one that threw me this time was when Mellie confronts Olivia about procuring the Press Secretary position for Marcus. I was SURE that took place in the past when they first started talking, because -- wouldn't Mellie have figured that out right away? But no, I gather it took place in the present, which makes no sense unless Mellie is much thicker than I'd figured.

Yeah, that scene confused me as well, but I guess Mellie was blind to it when it happened because she felt dependent on Olivia to run her campaign? Then it seemed like Abby finally clued her in in the present (we saw Abby going to see Mellie) because she wanted to get Mellie angry with Olivia, so she'd stop going after Cyrus.

6 hours ago, phoenics said:

The reason I don't like them (possibly ?) battling over Fitz is that if Olivia decides to actively go after him again, I won't know if its because she really wants him, or if it's because she doesn't want another woman to have him.

We've had so many "I want to be with you"s and "I can't be with you"s that I no longer know who Olivia wants. I think she prefers Fitz to Jake, but I'm not sure. I actually think Jake would make her happier, if anyone can, but I'm not sure about that either. That look in Olivia's eyes when the FBI friend expressed interest in Fitz made me think of competition. I won't be surprised if Olivia calls Fitz at night in the next episode to say hi.

I agree that Cyrus would be a better president than the real one we have now.

• Love 2

I cannot believe that the women of the fictional United States have not yet revolted against Fitz and demanded his impeachment for high crimes and just being fucking terrible (but still, it should be noted, better than our actual president).

You and me both.

Marcus and Mellie are cute. Why can't this show let me have nice things?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, reggiejax said:

As for the Bechdel test, that scene failed miserably. Their whole interaction was all about Fitz. They may have been talking about other things prior to talking about Fitz, but even that was really about Fitz. 

The interaction and lamentation about racial microaggressions they endure as black women was not about Fitz.  

It's clear that they don't like each other very well, but until FBI girl mentioned Fitz, the dislike wasn't about him at all.

35 minutes ago, phoenics said:

The interaction and lamentation about racial microaggressions they endure as black women was not about Fitz.  

I didn't mean it literally, but rather in the sense that the conversation was only even taking place because of Fitz. Because everything Liv does revolves around Fitz. Which allows for the inexplicable fact that someone like Liv, is involved at all with the Vargas murder investigation, despite having no authority to be a part of it.  Yet she does have a part in it, and that was the only reason she was dining with her "friend".

And I would also add that I don't think Fitz is excluded when it comes to the things Liv and her friend have to endure from their white male counterparts. 

And as far as the Bechdel Test goes, they were still talking about men during that part of the conversation. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, reggiejax said:

And as far as the Bechdel Test goes, they were still talking about men during that part of the conversation. 

I guess since I've received similar microaggressions from white women too in a professional setting - I didn't assume they were only talking about men - and specifically white men.  That was the only authentic part of the conversation to me that didn't have shades of Fitz all over it.  But YMMV.  

Also - Liv wanting to have power and put Mellie in the White House is actually not at all about Fitz.  Yes she needed evidence to sway him, but he's both a means to an end for her in getting Mellie in the White House and the subject of her feelings.  That's why I took the conversation and compartmentalized the micro-aggressions part and Fitz as separate.  

That doesn't mean that Liv hasn't experienced some Sally Hemmings with Fitz - but at that point in the convo with FBI Lady (really need to get her name), I just didn't think it was about Fitz until ole girl made it about him about two seconds after they finished talking about microaggressions.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Yeah, that scene confused me as well, but I guess Mellie was blind to it when it happened because she felt dependent on Olivia to run her campaign? Then it seemed like Abby finally clued her in in the present (we saw Abby going to see Mellie) because she wanted to get Mellie angry with Olivia, so she'd stop going after Cyrus.

I think Olivia meddled in the past with Marcus, getting him the job.  But Mellie didn't know that Liv was the one who did that back then.  She just thought Marcus WAS ambitious and only interested in her to get ahead (like Liv insinuated).  It wasn't until the present (right after Cy offered Mellie the VP position) that Abby told Mellie that Liv was the one who got Marcus the job.

Right?  The flashback scenes were hard to keep up with.

• Love 3

Speaking of the apartment, I thought, from the way the original kidnapping took place, that her neighbor's apartment was directly across the hallway from Olivia's, which is what made it so easy to pull her body into the other apartment.  However, this episode showed them exiting from Olivia's room directly into the elevator (which is a poor layout for a luxury apartment, but that's another post).  Am I remembering correctly?

18 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Speaking of the apartment, I thought, from the way the original kidnapping took place, that her neighbor's apartment was directly across the hallway from Olivia's, which is what made it so easy to pull her body into the other apartment.  However, this episode showed them exiting from Olivia's room directly into the elevator (which is a poor layout for a luxury apartment, but that's another post).  Am I remembering correctly?

There is a hallway area directly from Liv's apartment to the elevator but her apartment door is directly across from her neighbor's.  I think when you exit Liv's door the elevator is to the right?

Did they change something?  Ugh - now I need to go look.

Okay I just looked.  When Mellie comes over to ask if Liv got Marcus the job to break them up, it looks like the elevator is behind her, but it's the angle of the shot.  When they take the shot of Mellie straight on, you can see the elevator is to her right and Liv's left.  So if you're exiting Liv's apartment, her neighbor is directly across the hall from hers and the elevator is to the left.

Edited by phoenics
18 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

7 minutes ago, phoenics said:

There is a hallway area directly from Liv's apartment to the elevator but her apartment door is directly across from her neighbor's.  I think when you exit Liv's door the elevator is to the right?

Did they change something?  Ugh - now I need to go look.

I've deleted the episode so I can't check, but I remember thinking something seemed off about the hallway layout. I thought there was a new door and wondered if I had missed a utility closet in the past. Now I wish I had paid more attention when I was thinking about it.

The most satisfying moment of the episode for me was when Abby pointed out the parallels between Liv's current plot and the one that broke up her and David...at least it was satisfying, until Abby went along with it anyway, thereby forsaking moral high ground if it comes up between them in the future.

I don't even care. Except to hope that Cyrus "I Prefer to Be the Kingmaker, Not the King" Beane (sp?) doesn't really become the President. Or did they think we forgot that about Cyrus?

I had, honestly, because in my view, the most powerful Cyrus scene has always been his rant to James in 'Nobody Likes Babies', where he finally admits that he does want the presidency and always has, but resigned himself to being 'the guy behind the guy' because he wasn't pretty, charismatic, or straight. It stuck with me both because of the point he was making, and the fact that he only talked about it that once and under pressure, because bitter, resigned pragmatism is a rare and interesting trait on this show, where usually when people want impossible things, they scream about it to everyone who'll listen, until they get said thing and start screaming that they don't want it anymore.

So I still like him (sociopathy notwithstanding, but all of these people are sociopaths and he's at least a consistent and interesting character), and was frankly cheering when he finally got his spot on the ticket last season.

And though this episode increased the likelihood that he arranged for the assassination after all, when before he'd have been a complete dunce not to simply ride it out, I'd also be completely down for him not having done it, so we can see how he'll actually handle having the office.

(Side note, though - it bugs me that Vargas, whose stubborn morality was a plot point every other episode last season, didn't go on the warpath and try to denounce Cy immediately after he found out, to hell with what that would mean for his own chances of getting elected.)

That one also confused me. It was hard enough to buy she'd fall for Olivia's 'tra-la-la, it's so wonderful you're in love and can overlook all the obvious problems inherent in this relationship, HINT HINT' act, but then when that was immediately followed up by Marcus getting conveniently taken out of the picture, she didn't smell a rat?

Edited by Emma9
  • Love 1