Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Blood from a Stone

Sleepy-405_SCN39_41_TR0327_f_hires1+%255

As Dreyfuss gets closer to making progress on his mission, important parts of his past come to light. His former partner returns to settle the score from years before and it becomes evident that Dreyfuss' involvement in the supernatural is not something new.

Promos

Kids really don't work well with this type of show. Except for some drawings, nothing has really happened to Molly in terms of being a witness. She's just... there. Not a viable Witness partner to Ichabod until she grows a lot older.

Next week's sounds better. At least we get a return to actual Sleepy Hollow.

The Philosopher's Stone is an interesting idea. Too bad that Dreyfuss didn't find Pandora last season to become her new husband.

• Love 1

What... they didn't make it the Sorcerer's Stone for an American audience? ;-)

Only three comments so far.. wow. 

Kids really don't work well with this type of show. Except for some drawings, nothing has really happened to Molly in terms of being a witness. She's just... there. Not a viable Witness partner to Ichabod until she grows a lot older.

I agree. She can't go off killing supernatural beings with Crane. What's the point? This just isn't working. I get that they didn't want to replace Abbie by making the witness another potential romantic interest, but this just doesn't work. Maybe make it another man so they can have more of a cop-buddy-bromance thing.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

And that's why it hinders shows like this, they're either stuck on a pedestal being special and/or they're stuck being protected from danger, which in this case, limits the witness interactions.

2 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

Only three comments so far.. wow. 

Yeah, this show really dropped off.

2 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

I agree. She can't go off killing supernatural beings with Crane. What's the point? This just isn't working. I get that they didn't want to replace Abbie by making the witness another potential romantic interest, but this just doesn't work. Maybe make it another man so they can have more of a cop-buddy-bromance thing.

Exactly, they should've made the witness someone else.  They pretty much did replace Abbie with a kid anyways.

Janeta said: "And i love Mison/Crane to death, but enough of the index finger magic." And I say: I know! I love Mison too, but even the photo at the top of this thread irritated me because of that. I only watched this during commercial breaks on other channels because I just don't care any more. But the idea about the new witness being a man for a Crane/partner bromance would be outstanding. Networks don't have the nerve to get rid of kids though, so I'm afraid we're stuck until cancellation. Which, I'm guessing, will be soon. *sigh*

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

Maybe make it another man so they can have more of a cop-buddy-bromance thing.

I suggested that the Malcolm guy should have been the next witness. Being more adversarial would have been interesting. 

For being a kid, the only thing she could really do is provide them with information, like if she has visions similar to the drawings. 

Edited by ganesh

I thought that they were going to go for Molly's mom as the romantic interest, but I hope by now they know that she's pretty much a dud as a character and those two have no chemistry.  This show never seems to learn though.  They thought keeping Betsey Ross around was a good idea. 

Unless they find some magical way to advance the kid's age, making her the new witness was a terrible idea. I did kind of like the male Buddy witness idea though. 

• Love 1

I never said I liked it - or agreed with it. It actually pisses me off when they do that. However, I don't know how they can use a ten year old kid.  They should think of something soon. I will be shocked if this show gets another season. 

(edited)

Soooooo, that happened?

I'm not entirely sure yet but I think Ichabod and his prettiness and also Jobe the Hot were the highlights of the episode that otherwise dragged. While I appreciate they tried to humanize Dreyfuss and give him a pathetic loser backstory, I wasn't convinced because Jeremy Davies's acting was bad at all times. So Dreyfuss sold his soul to the devil via banishing his partner to Hell. But how come Jobe The Hot (who is in the service of Satan, right?) can be in service of this shmuck even though he's all powerful and would smash recalcitrant "client" like a bug? I guess, this is a mystery for another time. Not that I'm particularly interested in seeing Davis badly hamming it up in the future.

The weirdest thing was that I was super annoyed by Jake and actually was warming up to Alex. Jake going "She just doesn't know real me, she'll come around" about Jenny was creepy and inappropriate. Jake, please

tumblr_n3foidtoJs1sey443o1_500.gif

Good thing the show subverted this with Alex being sneaky and telling Jenny Jake payed her to talk him up (like it's a middle school dating but worse because they're adults, blergh). Alex is my hero. Also? Jenny was a BADASS!

Ichabod upped his game in dealing with little children because Ichabod + British charm + scary historical anecdotes + bunch of impressionable 10-years-old = love forever. And Molly is predisposed to like him anyway. Then again, who wouldn't? Ichabod is indeed awesome. Speaking of, the way Ichabod was rolling his eyes at Dreyfuss's speech was gold.

I'm glad Diana told Molly she's special and stuff like that. Molly finally has a voice (for real this time) and I'm glad she said Diana could always tell the truth to her. She seems really reasonable, that girl, in very tv way but there are solemn kids like that, so it's mostly an observation, not a nitpick.

The editing on this show continues to be one the worst thing I've ever seen on anything, and I had watched first episode of Luke Cage.

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

PLEASE SHUT UP NOW. Forced aging is the WORST trope of all time. 

Or they could end this season (and the show, because it's going to end after this season) with Ichabod going into his time-traveling slumber for 15 years and waking up just when Molly is capable to protect herself (and also is dating a girl, to eliminate the gross Moffat's Doctor Who factor).

Edited by CooperTV
9 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I know! Between Sherlock on Elementary and Da Vinci in my re-watch of Da Vinci's Demons, I'm getting finger magicked all over the place.

I just know there's a joke here...

Edited by Zahdii
Posting from a tablet is hard!
  • Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, ganesh said:

Other than the bad guys finding out who she is, there isn't much for her to do.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:59 PM, ganesh said:

PLEASE SHUT UP NOW. Forced aging is the WORST trope of all time. 

Pretty much never should've done it to begin with since they've limited themselves due to this trope.

I would be okay with Molly as a tertiary character if she were kept in the background and just got to do important things like say, "Cool!" after Crane's soccer speech. But making her the next witness was a terrible idea. Crane can't have a true partnership with her for several more years so her only purpose in the plot is to give us scenes of Crane being adorable with kids.

Heh, loved that Alex knows Jenny isn't interested in Jake at all but she agreed to talk him up in exchange for a month of free lunches and then told Jenny that she had no intention of talking him up. I guess we're supposed to find it sweet that Jake is hell bent on winning Jenny over but I find it inappropriate and creepy. If someone isn't into you, accept it and let it go. That goes double if it's someone you work with on a regular basis.

Crane rolling his eyes at Dreyfuss's lecture was great. Even though I would have preferred Dreyfuss being killed by his partner (hey, he deserves it even if his deal with the devil wasn't explicit about what would happen to his partner), at least his disappearance gives me hope that I won't have to see him for a few episodes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I would be okay with Molly as a tertiary character if she were kept in the background and just got to do important things like say, "Cool!" after Crane's soccer speech.

Plus, they already made Molly to save Crane with the Power of Love Witnessing that is usually reserved for the end of season. Like, her purpose kind of ran its course, since she's a child and can't do much beyond that.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CooperTV said:

Plus, they already made Molly to save Crane with the Power of Love Witnessing that is usually reserved for the end of season. Like, her purpose kind of ran its course, since she's a child and can't do much beyond that.

Good idea!  Have it be that Molly has served her purpose as a Witness and have the Witness role move on to someone already grown up.  But not to her mother, as I'm not sure if the mother is a good fit for the role.  Let the mother move into a more supportive role, where she's still doing her job and parenting her child, but can be called on if needed.

Ichabod upped his game in dealing with little children because Ichabod + British charm + scary historical anecdotes + bunch of impressionable 10-years-old = love forever. And Molly is predisposed to like him anyway. Then again, who wouldn't? Ichabod is indeed awesome. Speaking of, the way Ichabod was rolling his eyes at Dreyfuss's speech was gold.

Those were the best parts of the episode.

Man, I watch this Saturday, but I totally forgot to even post about it until now.  This season really isn't working for me.

The sad thing is that I still want to respect it for not dragging things out with its reveals, like how Ichabod/Diana are already on to Dreyfuss and his game.  The problem is that I just don't care about the plots right now.  Dreyfuss' grand plan (or the character in general.)  Molly as a Witness.  And I really don't care about Jake's dumb crush on Jenny.  I get Jenny is awesome and everything, but he is delusional if he thinks she would be interested in him.  I mean, sure, it could happen eventually, but they barely have interacted and he's acting like it is love on first sight or something.  Come one, man.  Have some respect for both of you.

The best part was easily Ichabod's "historical lesson" to the kids about soccer, but despite my best efforts, I still couldn't help but think how much better it would have been in an earlier season, where it would have been followed by a perfect Abbie/Nichole Beharie eye-roll and snarky remark.  Instead, Diana just... complained?  Again, I like Janina Gavankar, but relationship between Diana and Ichabod is dull.  Honestly, Diana and Jenny were more interesting partnering up.

At least they're going back to Sleepy Hollow next episode.  Maybe they'll find a way to have everyone stay here.  Part of the issue is probably that D.C. just isn't that interesting of a setting compared to the actual Sleepy Hollow.

• Love 1

Isn't the Witness supposed to be a descendant of Grace Dixon?
Dumb thing I just thought of... since Crane is a Witness, and he was out of commission for 200ish years, was there another Witness running around, or were there just no Witnesses during that time? Were they not needed since Headless was also underground, but surely there was still evil that needed vanquishing? Just thinking out loud.

1 hour ago, ChromaKelly said:

Isn't the Witness supposed to be a descendant of Grace Dixon?
Dumb thing I just thought of... since Crane is a Witness, and he was out of commission for 200ish years, was there another Witness running around, or were there just no Witnesses during that time? Were they not needed since Headless was also underground, but surely there was still evil that needed vanquishing? Just thinking out loud.

This is the part where it all falls away.  Because technically, there are always two witnesses, right?  Which means for 200 years the other one(s) were witnessing, but not actually fighting, because she had no partner. 

I can buy that because Headless was out of commission for the duration that the whole 'evil walking the earth' was on hold. I'm sure TPTBs didn't think of that, but it's not too egregious of a fanwank. So the whole witness concept was dormant. 

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

I can buy that because Headless was out of commission for the duration that the whole 'evil walking the earth' was on hold. I'm sure TPTBs didn't think of that, but it's not too egregious of a fanwank. So the whole witness concept was dormant. 

The writers have played fast and loose with the whole Witness concept, especially with the constant retooling.