Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E11: Jukebox Hero

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, AriAu said:

I blame Bailey for Minnick and her situation. Seriously, is this the same character that was called the Nazi at the outset?

So much THIS. If the Chief of Surgery can't go directly to first the Chief of the Residents then to the Attendings and roll out a new action plan with new action items, then she shouldn't be the chief. Who is this new wimpy Bailey who doesn't know the art of direct communication? 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

Speaking of Jo, she was completely out of line with Ben, but THIS is the Jo that I have been expecting to see for the last 2-3 years.  Given her ever more dramatic backstory, I think that she would put up walls and get tougher and harder.  As bitchy and cold as she was, it makes much more sense for her to be like this, then to walk around full of self pity with a sad puss on her face, gently weeping in supply closets because the attendings are mean or because Meredith doesn't understand boundaries.   She let her guard down with Alex, but since that has gone to shit, I understand why she would revert back.  She is very similar to Alex that way, and I like when the show reflects that.  She has been much more like the character who was originally introduced lately, and I for one (and I mean that one literally most likely LOL), here for it!

I agree with your whole post but especially this part, so no you are not alone haha! I definitely think that the hard exterior is more in line with the season 9 Jo, especially the one we saw 9x22-24, and I agree that her shutting down makes a lot of sense. She is like Alex, totally agree that they share so many similarities in that sense - and they understand that side of eachother which is why I love them together.

What I hate, is that she got no perspective in 13A, she was reduced to dropping a bomb in the finale, and then we got no introspection into her mindset until now. On top of that, it's as you said - she was moping around about Meredith and I was extremely pissed at the time because there's no way she should have (or would have in s9) laid down and accepted it, so her outburst was way overdue. But this inconsistency in her character has done so much damage to her, and now when she should be getting understanding and empathy, no one bothers to see anything from her point  of view. This is all due to shoddy writing, and hopefully her story will come in the later part of the season, because there's no way they can drop a bomb about her abusive past and not give the DV victim a perspective. 

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

Speaking of Jo, she was completely out of line with Ben, but THIS is the Jo that I have been expecting to see for the last 2-3 years.  Given her ever more dramatic backstory, I think that she would put up walls and get tougher and harder.  As bitchy and cold as she was, it makes much more sense for her to be like this, then to walk around full of self pity with a sad puss on her face, gently weeping in supply closets because the attendings are mean or because Meredith doesn't understand boundaries.   She let her guard down with Alex, but since that has gone to shit, I understand why she would revert back.  She is very similar to Alex that way, and I like when the show reflects that.  She has been much more like the character who was originally introduced lately, and I for one (and I mean that one literally most likely LOL), here for it!

Agreed! I was surprised to read the comments about her, because this was *finally* a Jo I can get behind. Bitchy Jo will always, always be superior to whiny doormat Jo. More of this, please.

Oh my god, Bailey, just go away and stop embarrassing youself. She's as bad a chief as Webber at his very worst - and Webber at his worst was an alcoholic who drank at work (!) Her unbelieveable incompetence is now matched by equally astonishing hypocrisy. "Are you really gonna do this to *me*, Richard?" Well, Bailey, you're the one going behind is back to fire him, even though he bascially gave you your job, so maybe don't go there. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Also, *if* DeLuca had dropped charges, which his one small scene with Arizona seemed to insinuate he had, can he do that?  Can he drop charges in a criminal case?  I'm pretty sure he can't....

No, he can't drop the charges, he can refuse to cooperate or even be hostile towards the prosecution which makes a criminal case like this difficult if not impossible to pursue and cause the prosecutor to drop the case rather than waste time and resources on a case they know has little to no chance of being successful.

It's actually a major problem with domestic violence cases where the victim really needs to be protected but refuses to assist the prosecution for various reasons forcing them to drop the case and put the victim back into a harmful situation.

• Love 6

Aww, I still miss her. 

I would imagine that both Addison and Kate Walsh are both available!

By the way, and knowing that this is off-topic, it would be an interesting set of emotions to have her around considering both her ex-husband and the guy she slept with to ruin her marriage are now dead.....and Amelia is still hanging around. Addison would really rip someone a new one, especially Bailey, and would be backing up Richard. Someone should get Shonda on the phone.

• Love 4

Between Minnick being a smug jerk and Richard acting like a petulant baby, I had a really hard time picking a side in that conflict and even caring about that storyline. And Bailey continues to be the worst.

Poor Ben. First Jackson doesn't let him assist on his surgery just to spite Minnick, then Jo treats him like trash when he was just trying to help her out. Speaking of her, I like her, but she was beyond annoying in this episode. I can't get behind acting like a total bitch to someone who didn't do anything wrong just because you're feeling blue. 

I knew Alex would suddenly appear in the last scene of the episode when he was nowhere to be found 5 minutes into the it. And what a surprise, he's not going to jail! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT???!!?!! Except, like, everybody.

I was kinda surprised that the woman didn't die, though. Her idiot husband confessing that he's guilty for the accident being the last thing she ever hears would be totally something the TV and this show in particular would do. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Muffyn said:

I had the not-so-unexpected realization that I did not remember that Amelia had run off or why she would have done so.  I simply do not care about her at all. 

Me too! It wasn't until I read a post here that it clicked. They need to eliminate at least half the cast. Most of the cast gets two lines per episode. What's the point? The poor writers must have a terrible time trying to figure out how to squeeze a line or two in, never mind a fully developed story with character development. 

This episode was heavy on the ridiculous and I only enjoyed Richard's story. Everything else was like watching paint dry.

7 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

I had forgotten about Minnick's existence during the break. I wish the writers had too.

Same here.  Whether she's on because Shonda couldn't think of anything else to do with Bailey and the Chief, or whether she's on mostly to be a love interest for Arizona, neither is working for me, so I wish she'd just disappear. 

ETA - I think it's because the character comes off as smug, and like she's sure she's smarter than everyone else.  I always hate that in a character.  Derek did that smug thing, too, and Addison.  But there were aspects of Derek and Addison I liked, and they weren't always smug, all the time, so it balanced out.  With Minnick, there's nothing to balance out the abrasiveness of her character.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Joana said:

You know it's bad when the mystery of yoghurt left outside the fridge generates more discussion than just about anything else that happened in the episode. 

This made me LOL because I've seen discussion of this in many articles as well! God, they have,to realise how awfully lazy and unimaginative the storytelling has gotten. It would almost be embarrassing to watch an episode of seasons 1-6 and then follow it with the last one. And especially the Alex reveal - I literally saw that a mile away and am pretty appalled that it actually transpired as it did. First the kindergarten nonsense with Webber, Amelia being extra AF (I'm over her whole character and the relationship with Owen is possibly my least favourite relationship ever), Murphys entire existence and now Alex forgetting how to use a phone; This whole episode was like a creative writing project from middle school playing out before our eyes. 

Edited by Rose-1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Biggie B said:

Jo was awful to Ben. Yeesh. And will we viewers ever get to know the full story of her past? Or is that just over, and we just have to make up something in our minds to explain her name change, etc.? OTOH, I don't really care enough about her to wonder that hard...

Jo's story has never made sense, and I no longer care.  She's the abused foster kid who ended up homeless and living in her car.  Not only did she have an amazing comeback story, in that she went to med school and is now a surgeon, we now know that at some point, she married a very wealthy man.  What's next, Jo finds out that she's actually the granddaughter of a queen from some exotic land?  She's a princess!

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I have mixed feelings with Alex disappearing. He should have told Meredith he was at the house, but in his defense, she probably would have been up his butt as soon as she knew where he was. He was so emotionally drained at the end of the break that he probably needed 12 hours sleep to deal with Meredith (and everyone else). 

Alex spends a lot of time thinking no one cares about him, so I could see this.  He's exhausted, knows Meredith works twelve hour days, and has three kids to care for, and isn't wasting a day trying to track him down (he doesn't even know that she knows about the deal).  So he takes a well-deserved nap.  He went from preparing himself for prison and a ruined career, to the charges being dismissed (apparently) and his job still available.  I'm surprised he didn't get drunk and pass out.

8 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I hope to all that is holy that this Minnick thing does not reflect reality in anyway.  As a patient, or a loved one of a patient, I would like to believe that qualified professionals, and not trainees led by a Sports Medicine Doctor (is sports medicine even a surgical field?  I thought that they referred to orthos and whatnot when surgery was required).  I understand that interns need to learn, but I'd rather they not learn on people with life-threatening issues (at least not as interns).

I'm getting a very "Hahn" vibe from Minnick and I'm not sure if the writers are trying to set her up as some kind of villain (and this is not the kind of show that needs a villain) or if, like Hahn, they've already lost control of her and she's just going to continue to spiral out until one day she just up and walks to her car and never comes back.

I had a very hard time buying the whole "let's find Alex" thing.  Sorry, but everyone one of those jails and county offices have internet access.  Plus, why the confusion? Meredith knew where Alex was charged so she should know where he would have been sent if he had gone to jail.

Also, *if* DeLuca had dropped charges, which his one small scene with Arizona seemed to insinuate he had, can he do that?  Can he drop charges in a criminal case?  I'm pretty sure he can't....

What probably bothers me most about Minnick, is she hasn't taken the time to familiarize herself with the new doctors' skills.  She doesn't know who she's dealing with, yet she wants them in there performing critical facial repairs, and pregnant women who are bleeding out.  And she's apparently super-doctor because she's on top of every specialty, and is ready to school the surgeons in their own specialty.   It's just not possible to be all knowing.

I don't think DeLuca could drop charges, but he could tell them he misunderstood the situation, and change his testimony.  He could say he took the first swing.  Of course Jo's testimony would contradict him, but whatever.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm tempted to blame Bailey but it's really Catherine's fault for putting Bailey in such a compromising situation. Why did Catherine go to Bailey in the first place without telling her husband? This is beyond ridiculous and I don't see how Catherine can't expect this to blow up in her face once Richard finds out she's the one who initiated the whole thing without ever saying one word to him. Did she really think it would never come out? Or was she just expecting Bailey to take the fall for this? This does not speak well of Catherine and Richard's marriage or to the level of respect (or lack thereof) Catherine has for her husband.

I sometimes forget Meredith even has kids (as do the writers, apparently). I don't miss them one bit - this isn't a kid show and I'm not overly fond of children anyway. That said - when Meredith came home at the end of the day and headed straight to her room, where the hell were her kids supposed to be? Or were we to assume she had already tucked them in by that point? A simple line to Maggie - a la "just finished tucking in the kids, gotta hit the sack now" would have sufficed. See? Not that hard.

And what's up with Maggie not being able to read or pronounce words? I know this was meant for comedic relief but it made her look like an idiot and she's supposed to be the most brilliant heart surgeon in the world or something, not a dyslexic teenager, which is what she acts like half the time.

Wait?  What? 

As a major stake holder - Catherine does have the right to telll the chief of Surgery to make changes. to use a quote on this show "Church and State. Keep it separate." I can't remember if Catherine said to keep it on the downlow - if she did, then you're right. But I don't think Catherine told Bailey to bring in Minnick without telling Richard, to have Minnick shadow everyone without telling Richard, or to hire Minnick without consulting Richard and then make Richard think they were partners, when Minnick flat out said no, she's a one gal show. 

Actually, no. Even if Catherine said to keep it quiet - Bailey could have gone about this in a different way. (in my opinion). She could have brought Richard in and said that that the hospital wants to go in a new teaching style that is more intune to how students are learning today. and that she felt that it was best to use Minnick to implement that change as residency director but (and create a new role for richard) or something. Bailey just thought she could keep quiet on everything and everyone would accept it, like she's not been around these fools for 13 seasons (laugh)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Fallacy said:

Me too! It wasn't until I read a post here that it clicked. They need to eliminate at least half the cast. Most of the cast gets two lines per episode. What's the point? The poor writers must have a terrible time trying to figure out how to squeeze a line or two in, never mind a fully developed story with character development.

good point. The previous episode, with just a small fraction of the cast in the main storyline, was much better.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, AriAu said:

And seriously Alex, you had a cellphone to tell Meredith you were taking the plea, but you couldn't use it to share the good news that DeLuca dropped the case? WTF 

Well, to be fair to Alex, Meredith did ignore his calls for months a couple of seasons ago when she disappeared after Derek died, so she really doesn't have a lot of room to complain!

• Love 8
47 minutes ago, h8omb said:

I had completely forgotten that Riggs exists until his brief scene with Minnick. Why is he on this show?

Essentially, to be Derek's replacement. And for him and Owen to be the new McDreamy and McSteamy. (HA! Yeah right.)

But seriously though, he's another one that's unnecessary. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

As a major stake holder - Catherine does have the right to telll the chief of Surgery to make changes.

Catherine is not a member of the hospital board. She has no say in how the hospital operates.

Even if she were on the board, Catherine would have no power individually.  Individual board members cannot make unilateral operational or policy changes for the organization. 

Just another basic real-world concept the writers can't seem to grasp. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Gladrags said:

Catherine is not a member of the hospital board. She has no say in how the hospital operates.

Even if she were on the board, Catherine would have no power individually.  Individual board members cannot make unilateral operational or policy changes for the organization. 

Just another basic real-world concept the writers can't seem to grasp. 

I agree. Meredith owns about half of the hospital. Jackson is the chair of the board as the foundation's representative or something like that. I think Arizona is on the board?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, AriAu said:

By the way, and knowing that this is off-topic, it would be an interesting set of emotions to have her around considering both her ex-husband and the guy she slept with to ruin her marriage are now dead.....and Amelia is still hanging around. Addison would really rip someone a new one, especially Bailey, and would be backing up Richard. Someone should get Shonda on the phone.

I would love to see Addison again. She and Amelia were pretty close when Private Practice ended, having her come visit is believable. 

35 minutes ago, Court said:

I agree. Meredith owns about half of the hospital. Jackson is the chair of the board as the foundation's representative or something like that. I think Arizona is on the board?

Meredith and Arizona are both on the board and both part owners. Callie and Christina were, and I don't remember who took their shares. I think Christina tried to give hers to Alex, but Bailey got the board seat anyway?

Catherine isn't technically on the board, but she gave about half the funding they needed to buy the hospital from that organization that was owner. So the Avery Foundation owns part of the hospital, and Jackson is chair because of that. But Catherine is on the board of the Avery Foundation, so I guess that gives her some power? She certainly was acting like it in the episode where she read the hospitals employee records and told Bailey to change things. Bailey seemed to agree though, she wasn't acting like she was forced, she was acting like she got some good advice and chose to go along with it.

• Love 1

Is Jo a special snowflake that DeLucca and Alex sacrifice themselves to spare her grief? Just no, she could have spared Alex this if she told him about her past the first time he asked her to marry him.

Does anyone have a clue as to what Arizona was doing in jail, the night before.

Just now, Lillybee said:

Does anyone have a clue as to what Arizona was doing in jail, the night before.

That was the previous episode--she, Jo, and Bailey had gone to do a procedure on a prisoner in the jail.

I did have a question about this--I don't know if we have any medical professionals here, but is it normal to send 3 doctors out to do an off-site procedure at night and then expect them back at the hospital the next day?  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Raachel2008 said:

I haven't watched the show in ages, but I was sucked into Alex plot, and, as always, what a failure. I don't know why I still try, really. Not that I was expecting Alex to go to jail, he is a main character and all and Meredith needs a sidekick, blah blah. But to have DeLucca drop the charges, which HE CANNOT DO IN A CRIMINAL CASE, is ridiculous. The whole thing is pathetic, and any  but what really really really annoys me is the message that what he did can and should be erased, just like that. That somehow, Alex doesn't deserve to be punished.

Alex beat DeLucca into a pulp. He almost killed the guy. I LOVE Alex, but come on. He knew what he was doing. 

Also, Jo said something like “You didn’t put him in prison, I'm the one who did". NO, Jo, you didn't do anything. A grown-up man in his middle 30's beat another man into a pulp. He put himself in prison. Not you. Alex's the guilty one here. Not you. Not DeLucca. Ugh.

Yes yes yes!!!!

im so grossed out by the general consensus of the show and most of the fandom, that what Alex did does not warrent punishment because Jo didn't disclose her traumatic past to him. Or even better, that this is all Jo's fault. 

What alex did is on Alex. I don't care if jo was actually cheating on Alex with Deluca, it's been glossed over but Alex violently beat Deluca to where there was concern he wouldn't have use of his eye. That is on Alex. Alex Karev deserves some sort of punishment for what he did and I'm sick of this show actin like Alex is a martyr. This is how Alex gets away with a lot of his vile behavior, he does something like beat a man nearly to death and then he saves a pregnant lady and Meredith gets sad and all is forgiven, if there was even anger in the first place.

and don't get me started on how Jo's domestic violence story is being told through two men.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, moonorchid said:

Yes yes yes!!!!

im so grossed out by the general consensus of the show and most of the fandom, that what Alex did does not warrent punishment because Jo didn't disclose her traumatic past to him. Or even better, that this is all Jo's fault. 

What alex did is on Alex. I don't care if jo was actually cheating on Alex with Deluca, it's been glossed over but Alex violently beat Deluca to where there was concern he wouldn't have use of his eye. That is on Alex. Alex Karev deserves some sort of punishment for what he did and I'm sick of this show actin like Alex is a martyr. This is how Alex gets away with a lot of his vile behavior, he does something like beat a man nearly to death and then he saves a pregnant lady and Meredith gets sad and all is forgiven, if there was even anger in the first place.

and don't get me started on how Jo's domestic violence story is being told through two men.

This. I loved Alex before the last episode of last season. The character had grown and I was angry that he had been petty much background noise of the show for a lot of the last couple seasons but the final episode last season was annoying to me. And then this seasons opener and what has happened since then with this arc.  Alex can somehow be the victim when he isn't. He did what he did and it took him many episodes to realize he did a awful thing. Anyone else remember his reaction to Arizonas outrage at what he did saying Deluca was "just some guy who paid rent" or something. 

And to say something on the Mer front. I don't think she was ever angry at Alex for doing what he did. She was upset and worried because she knew he would get in legal trouble but I don't think she was angry at him(except when he was going to turn himself in because Meredith can't be the only one of the five left!).

This show is just a mess to me. It's riddled with cliches lately as I said before. None of the characters are like able anymore and they keep adding worse ones. Like Minnck. 

• Love 5
On 3/02/2017 at 2:27 PM, funnygirl said:

It's only been one day between episode 9 and episode 11, which means Amelia's been gone for one night, yet Owen's acting like it's been weeks. 

Of course Andrew dropped the charges. As for Alex being in Meredith's bed all day, what a cheap"reveal". Did he not drive a car to the house, or did Maggie just not see it since she was home before Meredith? So much for fleshing out this big ol' "will he, won't he" jail storyline.  

Dr. Minnick is a headache. What an unnecessary character. The attendings have always taught the residents and let them jump in and take the lead, so her method is nothing special or new. Or are the writers hoping we haven't been paying attention for 12 years.
"You're forcing a change nobody asked for." - Richard saying that to Bailey pretty much sums up this plot. 

Arizona and cars do not mix. 

Do we know that Deluca dropped the charges or do you mean you think that's what happened? Just wondering if I missed something. I'm so over Amelia and Owen, she keeps dumping him for no apparent reason then reconciling then dumping him.  Dr Minnick is a pain but I think they're heading for her and Arizona to get together so she'll be around a bit longer.

4 hours ago, pennben said:

Well, to be fair to Alex, Meredith did ignore his calls for months a couple of seasons ago when she disappeared after Derek died, so she really doesn't have a lot of room to complain!

I must have missed the bit where Deluca dropped the charges??? And why would he Alex almost killed him!

On 3/02/2017 at 8:29 PM, Muffyn said:

I had the not-so-unexpected realization that I did not remember that Amelia had run off or why she would have done so.  I simply do not care about her at all. 

It's so tedious, she keeps getting cold feet, then they get back together then she gets cold feet again...Suprised Owen doesn't just say 'stuff you then' once and for all and find someone else.

On 3/02/2017 at 3:34 PM, dalek said:

As a lawyer, I wasn't surprised to find that Alex wasn't in jail.  When it said "indefinitely postponed," I assumed he'd gotten what in NY is known as an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal, where if you don't get in trouble for the next 6 months to a year, the case gets wiped from your record (although doesn't always leave the computer system the way it's supposed to), but if you do get in trouble again during that time period, you will get sentenced.

In real life would he be able to get that for such a serious assault though?

14 hours ago, Raachel2008 said:

I haven't watched the show in ages, but I was sucked into Alex plot, and, as always, what a failure. I don't know why I still try, really. Not that I was expecting Alex to go to jail, he is a main character and all and Meredith needs a sidekick, blah blah. But to have DeLucca drop the charges, which HE CANNOT DO IN A CRIMINAL CASE, is ridiculous. The whole thing is pathetic, and any  but what really really really annoys me is the message that what he did can and should be erased, just like that. That somehow, Alex doesn't deserve to be punished.

Alex beat DeLucca into a pulp. He almost killed the guy. I LOVE Alex, but come on. He knew what he was doing. 

Also, Jo said something like “You didn’t put him in prison, I'm the one who did". NO, Jo, you didn't do anything. A grown-up man in his middle 30's beat another man into a pulp. He put himself in prison. Not you. Alex's the guilty one here. Not you. Not DeLucca. Ugh.

Totally agree with you, what makes me angry is that I haven't seen Alex show ANY remorse at all, and Meredith totally backing him - they act as if he accidentally injured Deluca rather than viciously beating him for no reason. Alex still acts like it was Deluca's fault, really really disappointed, I'd always liked Alex and was so glad when he was finally going to plead guilty. He's never even said sorry!!

• Love 4
16 hours ago, AriAu said:

It would have been interesting to have Addison in Minnick's role. She could have been hired as a consultant for an indefinite term. She could escape LA, take advantage of Seattle's child services care, and pretend to Skype with Benjamin Bratt. She could renew respectful ambivalence with Meredith, Alex and Bailey, and establish same with Arizona, her replacement. She and Jackson would have immediate rapport, and let it be, because Jackson was Mark's protege in matters medical, not personal, and the capricious Addison is finally growing up -- like April, who would discover she could understand and live with Jackson and Addison's connection and not react defensively: not aggress and not collapse. Of course the writers might have set Addison at Riggs -- both they and Riggs using her to flush out Meredith's attraction -- but it's Jackson who would have really drawn her in.

Addison might agree if Richard had not been kept in the dark but instead, asked her himself. And Richard might ask if he believed that this was one of Bailey's "new Chief" innovations (all new Chiefs have them, including Richard). At the point where Richard found himself -- despite himself -- most threatened by what Addison proposed, he would learn that Catherine was the instigator. If Catherine must be used as Proud Mary at least once a year.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, moonorchid said:

Yes yes yes!!!!

Thank you.  Alex's situation is Alex's fault and no one else's.  I just don't understand the reasoning that if Jo had just told him the truth it wouldn't have happened. One really has nothing to do with the other.  Jo could have gone out at any time and gotten drunk, had someone take her home and have Alex walk in and get the wrong idea.  Its not like this was the first fight they ever had and its not like its the first time she has ever gotten drunk.  As for blaming DeLuca, that is just willfull ignorance, IMO.   Alex deserves whatever is coming to him, but unfortunately, I doubt it will be much.  I need to see some real remorse for what he did, and a real apology to DeLuca.   He's my favorite, so obviously I don't want him to be off the show in jail but I will be pissed if he gets off with absolutely no consequences, and, especially if any of the characters try to blame Jo.

I really wish that the writers would expend some of their energy on spreading the empathy around.  Jo escaped from a horrible situation and did what she had to survive, but she whines sometimes, and therefore is a bitch, while Alex beat the crap out of someone over a misunderstanding (and I don't even really buy that he thought she was hurt), but he is good with kids and MEREDITH NEEDS HIM11!!!, so he is the hero.  Shame on Shonda for this.

I am glad, though, that Alex seems to be done making excuses for himself.  He admitted that he did it, he admitted that he saw them together and went crazy, and was willing to go to jail for it.  I just hope that going forward he shows some true remorse for what he actually did TO someone else, instead of just how he disappointed his friends and him self.  I don't think that what he did completely wipes out all of his growth, and I admit that I find morally flawed Alex to be 100% more interesting than benign best friend and kid whisperer Alex, but I do want to see more remorse.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 4
On 2/3/2017 at 10:11 AM, izabella said:

I didn't understand WHY she had to go to the apartment.  Couldn't Amelia just log in on her own computer and look up the files, MRI's, x-rays, whatever it was that Stephanie showed her ON a laptop?

In the real world yes. Because there would be a doctor employee portal. She would go to the address, login with her number and ID. It would ask if it was a work computer or outside (since of HIPPA and security reasons). Office computers would have a sign in screen only, but would be imaged to know they are in the hospital on that set wifi or connected interface (google it) if you are not an IT like me. Real simple Bailey to open her big mouth about Catherine wanting all this. Then both Richard and Jackson going: "Show me the real reason why you think it is the teaching. Because these doctors over the last 20 years have doing this, this and this. However, one who were hired who weren't trained here did this, this and this and those hired by those said doctors were the ones under performing. So, it would mean the screening process of those doctors, not the ones groomed by the main teaching staff over the last decade or so. Instead they say nothing, Catherine tells them they are the problem, but it's her husband and son. So, she brings in this women who is All That and a Bag of chips and she super bitch, but hey, she is a good teacher right? Because the senior attendings and interns are going: "What the hell are you doing?"

10 hours ago, Penguinator said:

I must have missed the bit where Deluca dropped the charges??? And why would he Alex almost killed him!

In the real world - which I realize is meaningless to television writers and apparently to a number of viewers as well - DeLuca could no more "drop the charges" against Alex than Catherine could tell Bailey how to run training for the surgical residents

Edited by Gladrags
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Gladrags said:

In the real world - which I realize is meaningless to television writers and apparently to a number of viewers as well - DeLuca could no more "drop the charges" against Alex than Catherine could tell Bailey how to run training for the surgical residents

If I'm going to keep watching the show, I feel like I have to accept that knowledge of the real world rules don't really help me understand the GA rules, which are very different. So, so many things that have happened in GA could never have happened if RW rules applied, so trying to superimpose them on the show doesn't really get the viewer anywhere. Well, to each their own.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Pallas said:

It would have been interesting to have Addison in Minnick's role. She could have been hired as a consultant for an indefinite term. She could escape LA, take advantage of Seattle's child services care, and pretend to Skype with Benjamin Bratt. She could renew respectful ambivalence with Meredith, Alex and Bailey, and establish same with Arizona, her replacement. She and Jackson would have immediate rapport, and let it be, because Jackson was Mark's protege in matters medical, not personal, and the capricious Addison is finally growing up -- like April, who would discover she could understand and live with Jackson and Addison's connection and not react defensively: not aggress and not collapse. Of course the writers might have set Addison at Riggs -- both they and Riggs using her to flush out Meredith's attraction -- but it's Jackson who would have really drawn her in.

Addison might agree if Richard had not been kept in the dark but instead, asked her himself. And Richard might ask if he believed that this was one of Bailey's "new Chief" innovations (all new Chiefs have them, including Richard). At the point where Richard found himself -- despite himself -- most threatened by what Addison proposed, he would learn that Catherine was the instigator. If Catherine must be used as Proud Mary at least once a year.  

I completely love the sound of this, but I don't remember Addison and Alex as respectfully ambivalent.  She sparked his interest in babies, and they had a ONS.  If memory serves, she was interested in more but Alex acted coldly toward her.  She seemed to be the first person to take Alex seriously as a doctor, then Arizona took up that mantle when she came along.

Benjamin Bratt (the character) could have tragically died.  Then she and Meredith can bond over losing the loves of their lives.  It doesn't look like Kate Walsh has much going on professionally, so she needs to come back.  Maybe I'm biased, but I remember her being a boss in her role as doctor with no major screw-ups, no surgeries botched because she let her personal life interfere, and no high-horse bitching out of parents who were imperfect.  In other words, she was actually professional in her profession.  To pay her salary, ditch Stephanie, Jo, DeLuca, Ben, and Amelia.  Addison can befriend Owen, and be the second person on the show who doesn't treat April like a weirdo freak.  Bailey needs to be demoted, and Weber can get back into his role.  Everyone calls him chief anyway.  Or at least I still do.  Bailey needs an occasional humbling (YOU are the one who killed the patient with your infected hands), and she's due for another.

***On second thought, Benjamin Bratt should come, too.  They haven't had an OB on the show for years.  They should cut back on the weekly patient stories - they stopped moving me years ago - and give more time to the ensemble cast.  Who cares anymore about the COtW?  Or they could slowly introduce patients, and give them a several episode arc, which gives the audience more investment in the patient. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I want more April, and I want to know the status of her relationship with Jackson, and their baby of the unfortunate name.

• Love 5
On 2/2/2017 at 10:08 PM, Greysaddict said:

What was with Maggie at the beginning, first messing up the letters in the court case and then pronouncing the word disposition wrong?  Are they starting to hint at Alzheimers/dementia or something?  

I had the same thought. Either this or she was so distraught that she couldn't think straight.

I think De Luca dropping charges is someone's speculation because there wasn't any mention of it. This case was changed from a civil to a criminal case, at which point De Luca had no charges to drop. That was the state's call. (I watched Perry Mason once; I understand the law.) 

This show seems to appeal to an increasingly younger demographic. Right now if seems to be written to a late-teenager audience. Then I remember that I'm increasingly growing older....

• Love 2

I think folks are short-handing when they say DeLuca dropping charges. At least when I've used it, I mean DeLuca going to the prosecutors and indicating that he is no longer interested in them pursuing the case and and why he, the victim doesn't want them to continue.  Certainly the prosecution could continue without him, but a prosecutor can be swayed by his rationale for dropping (not to mention the damage to their case by lack of his cooperation).  

For instance, in this case, DeLuca indicating that the trial putting a third person (Jo) at risk, taken with a prosecutor agreeing that Alex could be punished and rehabbed without conviction/jail (including requiring victim compensation as a term of deferred trial), could lead to the resolution that we assume happened.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, mojito said:

I think De Luca dropping charges is someone's speculation because there wasn't any mention of it. This case was changed from a civil to a criminal case, at which point De Luca had no charges to drop. That was the state's call. (I watched Perry Mason once; I understand the law.) 

I'll admit that I thought that was what *might have happened.*  The show has yet to tell us what the real situation is, but I'm assuming that will come soon.  My assumption was based on DeLuca's "What?" when Arizona said something about Alex being in jail.  Deluca knew that the court case was supposed to be that day (do I have that detail right?  It all happened before the hiatus, so my memory could be fuzzy) and I presume, being he victim, he'd have to testify.

But, I'll also admit that I could be reading too much into it all.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Penguinator said:

It's so tedious, she keeps getting cold feet, then they get back together then she gets cold feet again...Suprised Owen doesn't just say 'stuff you then' once and for all and find someone else.

Is it wrong that, despite everything, a little part of me still wants that someone else to be Cristina? I would honestly not hate it if he had enough of Amelia and took off for Switzerland. I mean, if he's going to get stuck (again) choosing between a woman and having babies, he should at least pick the better woman.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
22 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I would love to see Addison again. She and Amelia were pretty close when Private Practice ended, having her come visit is believable. 

Meredith and Arizona are both on the board and both part owners. Callie and Christina were, and I don't remember who took their shares. I think Christina tried to give hers to Alex, but Bailey got the board seat anyway?

Catherine isn't technically on the board, but she gave about half the funding they needed to buy the hospital from that organization that was owner. So the Avery Foundation owns part of the hospital, and Jackson is chair because of that. But Catherine is on the board of the Avery Foundation, so I guess that gives her some power? She certainly was acting like it in the episode where she read the hospitals employee records and told Bailey to change things. Bailey seemed to agree though, she wasn't acting like she was forced, she was acting like she got some good advice and chose to go along with it.

If I remember correctly, the Avery Foundation or whatever its call owns 51% of the hospital.

I don't know much about boards and share but 51% I think that would means they can always overrules the other owners and that they should have a lot more board members representing them. 

I understand that Minnick wants the residents to try their hands at difficult surgeries but I sure wouldn't want to be the patient with a complex issue who was the test bunny when a well-trained and experienced surgeon could deal with my complicated surgery. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, LisaM said:

I understand that Minnick wants the residents to try their hands at difficult surgeries but I sure wouldn't want to be the patient with a complex issue who was the test bunny when a well-trained and experienced surgeon could deal with my complicated surgery. 

The way it is looking, I'm wondering if they are setting things up to have Minnick's teaching practice backfire on her and the hospital. If she did her whole: "Opps, I nicked something to teach my younger doctors how to do something." The patient ends up dying and so forth and being obvious she did it on purpose. That would not only be a grounds for a lawsuit but also cost her, her license. Then it would look back on Bailey and Catherine because they put this kind of person in charge of the program. Of course, I'm reading too much into it like Genea Davis character with the brain tumor. How we were all waiting for her to complete botch or have a seizure and then Owen and Arizona looking like idiots letting her continue to practice when she could hemorrhage or die at any time, but hey, they did it because: "She was incredible and had to pass her knowledge on." 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I don't remember Addison and Alex as respectfully ambivalent.  She sparked his interest in babies, and they had a ONS.  If memory serves, she was interested in more but Alex acted coldly toward her.  She seemed to be the first person to take Alex seriously as a doctor, then Arizona took up that mantle when she came along.

All true!  Addison and Alex's view of each other might be ambivalent only because of Alex's relative inexperience and personal immaturity during Addison's tenure. God help him, Alex was less self-aware than Addison at the time. We're not always at ease with the person who once, from a place of expertise and poise we may never attain, witnessed our early failings -- even/especially if that person inspired our growth.

For her part, Addison might feel a bit of shame for having used a promising but personally clueless junior resident as a Tic-Tac in the midst of her ongoing McReflux. Used so capriciously that even he took note and took offense. (I know, the hospital's now named for two doctors it killed in their prime, whose last words hallowed their attending/resident affair: the entire premises are a No Shame Zone.)

• Love 3
13 hours ago, gator12 said:

I don't know much about boards and share but 51% I think that would means they can always overrules the other owners and that they should have a lot more board members representing them. 

Apparently neither do any of the writers. That's not what that means. 

Catherine is NOT on the board. Jackson is the representative of the Avery Foundation on the board. Catherine can try to sway Jackson's vote, but she has no vote. 

The Avery Foundation agreed to one representative on the board of its choosing, and it chose Jackson. His vote doesn't count any more than anyone else's. 

Since Jackson and the other doctors didn't know why Minnick was  joining the staff, it doesn't seem that her role was discussed at the board level. Not that it necessarily would have been, since board members don't get involved in day to day operations. But usually a change in operations that big would at least have been reported to the board. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, readster said:

The way it is looking, I'm wondering if they are setting things up to have Minnick's teaching practice backfire on her and the hospital. If she did her whole: "Opps, I nicked something to teach my younger doctors how to do something." The patient ends up dying and so forth and being obvious she did it on purpose. That would not only be a grounds for a lawsuit but also cost her, her license. Then it would look back on Bailey and Catherine because they put this kind of person in charge of the program. Of course, I'm reading too much into it like Genea Davis character with the brain tumor. How we were all waiting for her to complete botch or have a seizure and then Owen and Arizona looking like idiots letting her continue to practice when she could hemorrhage or die at any time, but hey, they did it because: "She was incredible and had to pass her knowledge on." 

I kept thinking that elderly lady patient from the fall episodes where Minnick nicked the artery on purpose so DeLuca could fix it was going to bleed out and die in that episode.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, goChica said:

Pretty sure the Grey-Shepherd kids are collapsible and can be folded for silent storage when not in use. That's why they didn't wake Alex. Source: Other eps.

I had to laugh at the truth of this comment, this is on point. This show is really fiction.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Gladrags said:

Apparently neither do any of the writers. That's not what that means. 

Catherine is NOT on the board. Jackson is the representative of the Avery Foundation on the board. Catherine can try to sway Jackson's vote, but she has no vote. 

The Avery Foundation agreed to one representative on the board of its choosing, and it chose Jackson. His vote doesn't count any more than anyone else's. 

Since Jackson and the other doctors didn't know why Minnick was  joining the staff, it doesn't seem that her role was discussed at the board level. Not that it necessarily would have been, since board members don't get involved in day to day operations. But usually a change in operations that big would at least have been reported to the board. 

Even if the Foundation did get an overrule-level say in things, it definitely wouldn't be achieved by Catherine swooping in behind the scenes like that. The Foundation's opinions should be presented through Jackson. And probably in a more transparent, aboveboard sort of way.

I mean, I suppose we could interpret this less as Catherine imposing the Foundation's will, and more as her just convincing Bailey, as Chief, person-to-person, that it was the right move, in which case, technically, the decision is all on Bailey. It does seem like something that would normally be at least run by the Board, though.

• Love 2
On February 4, 2017 at 3:31 AM, Penguinator said:

In real life would he be able to get that for such a serious assault though?

IRL, probably not, esp. given that Alex does seem to have a juvenile record, albeit for things like stealing food for his siblings, but those records should be sealed and it's possible an overworked police department and an overwork ADA wouldn't necessarily search out of state records and a sealed juvenile record doesn't always show up.  However, given the sheer volume of cases in urban areas and that the victim was no longer cooperating, I can see an ADA getting the case off his docket that way on the theory that "if the victim doesn't care, why should I?"

The case can be done without victim cooperation (after all, in murder cases, the victim isn't available to testify),  but it would let Alex's lawyer try to paint a more sympathetic picture of Alex and a more negative picture of the victim that would be slightly more difficult to counter without the victim's testimony.  Of course, the injuries would still be fully documented, and the victim's doctor could be subpoenaed to testify. 

Of course, I long ago gave up on expecting realism from tv shows, especially this one.

• Love 1