Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: High End Italian Fashion

I think Molly was robbed. She at least deserved a critique. I loved her outfit. 

Tieler's tatas weren't as bad as some I've seen. I kind of dug the outfit. It's runway, right? I always figure that the ready to wear outfit is going to be a little different. 

Chelsea (right? the winner?) didn't know where Italy was. I think she sincerely thought that Switzerland was in Italy. My mom is a teacher. I am constantly bemused by the number of her students who lack a basic understanding of geography (ie. think America is a state, that Europe is a country, etc.). 

• Love 16

I love Chelsea and her look but the lining was a ding against it. One thing I do appreciate about Chelsea is that  she comes at fashion in a different way and her looks are fresh af.

I think Chris actually deserved the win but his technical flaws at the hem didn't bug. The rest of it was spectacular and I do think if he had another day it would have been impeccable. He should be going to Italy. 

Cartier is such a sweet person but that was a cheap homemade prom dress. 

Teiler's boob situation was unfortunate for PR Junior but I don't think it would be out of place on a runway. The only real problem was that much boob was an accident so the fit was awkward but if he'd done that on purpose, I would have no problem and the rest of his look was so on point that I can forgive one bad week.

• Love 18

I agree that Chris was robbed. I was surprised Molly was just safe, it looked high fashion, it also  looked liked it was made from the same lacey material as Hannah's top. 

I thought Hawwaww (spelling) should have gone home. Her outfit was not high fashion and strange as hell. 

I didn't care for Chelsea's, who won, and she always has some out there story about what her inspiration was. Italy, Swiss cheese, Swiss army knifes (WTH?). 

I thought  by this point in this competition someone would stand out that I would be rooting for, no one has stood out enough for me like last season's kids. I'm going to guess the two guys and Molly for the finale. 

• Love 11

Oh, Cartier, "always listen to Tim" is still valid advice on Juniors.  

I'm not much of a fan of Hawwaa's designs, and both the shorts and the top looked pretty rough to me.  

I loved Chris's look, but Chelsea's was amazing, even if she is confused about the difference between Switzerland and Italy.  Maybe the trip will clear that up for her.  

Juniors still entertains me more than either All Stars or original flavor.  I love these youngsters - they are phenomenal for their ages.  

• Love 6

Molly deserved a critique too. They should have kept all of them out there. It was very difficult to see the winning outfit on my screen. It just looked very dark and I wasn't impressed. I didn't like the cut or silouette and that was about all I could see. I think Chris should have won. I also find Chris amusing and have liked a few of his creations, but this one was the best.

Unfortunately I think they sent the right person home. As much as I don't really care for Hawaa's designs (although I rather liked last wk's) at least she has ideas. I would have sent Izzy home last wk. In the workroom the closeup of those pieces/strings was a horrifying.

I also like Tieler's and didn't think the "v" was too bad. I thought he had just measured wrong and it wasn't meant to be that open/wide.

It always gets to me when the judges start crying. It must be really hard to send these kids home.

I love Kelly's little pep talk to the criers. You can tell she can relate & I love that about her. Now if she'd only do something about her hair. I'm rather fond of Kelly but that 'do is tired.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 11

I honestly thought that Molly's was the best - it was well made (well, except for the mistake in the waist, but she fixed that), it looked stunning on her model, and it seemed very "Milan Fashion Week".  I would totally wear it, too, and that is not something that I say often about the looks on PR!  I also felt that way about Chris' outfit.  Wish there could have been a tie between Chris and Molly, as I felt they both deserved the win.

Chelsea's was cute, and the idea was original, but I didn't think it was worth a win.

Tieler's outfit also screamed "Milan Fashion Week" to me, even with the deep, cleavage baring V-neck.  Glad he was safe.

I think that the right person went home, as Cartier's dress just looked like a home-made prom dress, (and not a very pretty one, at that).  Adding a few hand-sewn crystals to satin does not elevate a dress to Fashion Week levels, imo.

I did not like Hawaa's or Izzy's.  Izzy's looked like a girl who had just got caught under a confetti shower in Times' Square on New Year's Eve.  The pieces looked sloppily sewn on.  Hawaa's outfit was just too quirky for me.  I didn't like any of it, and it seemed unfinished.  The suspenders looked like they were just tacked on, with raw edges showing.  And, again, Hawaa looks like she has a hard time with constructive criticism.  Her face gets very angry-looking when she is in the bottom.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

I honestly thought that Molly's was the best - it was well made (well, except for the mistake in the waist, but she fixed that), it looked stunning on her model, and it seemed very "Milan Fashion Week".  I would totally wear it, too, and that is not something that I say often about the looks on PR!  

I thought Molly's was stunning. She has quietly been impressing me all along. 

• Love 15

I'm not sure where to put this, but those little "React to the Runway" segments between episodes with PR alums, Kelly, Lawrence, and Alex, are painful. It's so stilted and awkward and they all seem so uncomfortable with each other. All I can guess is they all drew the short straw, somehow, and are now just trying to get through it. 

• Love 5

Izzy appears to be getting the extended immunity one usually associates with a "Tim Gunn Save" beneficiary.  There's no sane reason for her to be there anymore.   She should have been sent home last week.

It was insulting to deem Molly's design merely safe when it was superior to some of the "highest score" designs this week.

I picked Chelsea as the winner even though it's nothing I would ever wear.   I hate "cargo" anything but a "cargo gown?"  Ugh.  That said, it was perfect judge bait.

I would have rated Molly's as best, followed by obnoxious Chris.

Tieler should have been crying tears of shame.  What a transparent ploy.   It reminded me of the Friends episode when Ross tries flirting with a cop to avoid a speeding ticket after seeing Rachel get away with it.   No question, he should have been one of the bottom two.   

• Love 3

Avant Garde, Day to Evening, Italian Inspired....why do they even bother to give the junior designers a theme? The kids either have no idea what it means (Swiss Army knife), or choose to ignore it. Not really their fault, they don't have the life experience to know a lot of references yet.

Edited by Love2dance
Punctuation matters.
  • Love 5

I thought Tieler should have been safe and Molly in the top 3.  I wonder if the suspenders on Hawwaa's were to hold the shorts up?  Literally.

Hated the confetti dress.  I thought Chris's looked nice, but that was only because the pattern of the material had pretty colours.  Didn't like the mesh over top.

I hope Hawwaa and plant-head girl go home next week.

• Love 6

Make something high fashion - in one day!

Izzy, GIRL, you need to have a loose idea of how much money you are spending before you get to the register. I can't believe she was $133 over. I totally agreed with Tim about her scraps looking crafty. The red and white color blocking looked like a racing stripe.

What was up with Chelsea's model not swinging her arms? It reminded me of the Raquel Welch episode of Seinfeld where Molly Shannon didn't swing her arms. I wasn't crazy about all the pockets and that embroidered satin lining cheapened the look. On the other hand, if you take away the pointless pockets and the gold lining, it's just a strapless black dress.

I had mixed feelings about Hawwaa's look. On the one hand, it is so nice to see a designer who isn't afraid to use vivid colors. I get so tired of black, grey, and brown on the runway. On the other hand, the black top almost shouldn't count because it was just a plain black shirt. While I appreciate the print she added to the red shorts, I hated that one stripe started in the crotch AND I hated that the stripe from the other side didn't match up. I didn't like that she just plopped the stripes on top of the shorts and didn't sew down the strips around all the edges. Having the edges billow out reminded me of Girl Scout sashes. Was there anything interesting about the yellow jacket aside from the color?

Oh, Tieler, that poor model was about two millimeters away from a nip slip on one side. I also didn't like the length of the pants. I felt like they either should have been longer or shorter. Ha, Christian was trying to find a nice way to ask about the major boobage: "What do we think about our situation down here?"

I am not a fan of lace but I liked that Molly's white top and cape were dramatic. I don't know how high fashion her look was (in all honesty, it looked like a retro outfit from 2001 with the flared pants and the cape in the back), but it was one of the only looks that seemed like it would actually be seen on a runway.

I know that Cartier spent a lot of time hand painting her material, but the actual dress itself was nothing. Even with all the work she did on the colors, her dress looked like a prom dress you would find at the mall, especially because of the rhinestones scattered on the bodice. I hated the length. I wanted it either longer or shorter. She did a good job blending the colors for an ombre look (at least until she got to the orange/yellow section).

Chris did a great job placing that white mesh looking fabric over his print. Even though I didn't love the print, he used it well on the pants.

Chelsea is my favorite contestant personality wise so I was happy for her win, but I was really surprised that they didn't give the win to Chris.

• Love 3

Hated Tieler's, the boobage was awful and I thought the length was off, but I do appreciate some of his earlier works, so he does have talent and will likely do better next week.

Loved Molly's and think she should have won, it looked well made and just elegant to me.  To me, she should win the competition, though I feel the judges are more inclined to go with Tieler.

Hawaa's combinations never work for me.  The jacket was ok but apparently that awful loud yellow is the color now but those shorts looked awful on the model and the suspenders, what the heck was that about.  I would have sent her home instead of Cartier. I just hope she is eliminated next week.

Kelly, I have grown to like because her comments are usually constructive but that mess on her head needs to go.  It's just distracting and not really edgy which must be what she's thinking it is.  

• Love 1

One thing I did like about Tieler's outfit:  his reaction during the last fitting.  Unlike others, he was completely self-aware and would have fixed the problem if he'd had more time.

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

One thing I did like about Tieler's outfit:  his reaction during the last fitting.  Unlike others, he was completely self-aware and would have fixed the problem if he'd had more time.

I agree. I think if he hadn't had to yank the jacket closed and tack it down it would have looked great. That pulling distorted its proportions. I'm so glad he stayed, he's my favorite.

• Love 1

Why aren't the designers allowed to use boob tape? Surely in real runway they're pinning and hot-gluing their models into their clothes. I guess it's a rule of the show but I've watched literally every season of grownup, all-stars and juniors and never heard of that.

• Love 5

Molly's was a joke to me. What time period was that supposed to be referencing. The taste was just bad.  Tablecloth couture? Shiny bellbottoms? I guess that's 1970s, and then the lace was like, Mormon or something not sure.  A lace cape?  Bottom half David Bowie mixed with John Travolta, top half..... big question mark.  Milan Fashion week?  Really?  Which designer... 

Chris's was fantastic, but Chelsea was more innovative, I thought.  I'm happy with those placed at the top.

I was so ready to be done with Cartier. It's not her fault, she's so young, they all are. She just sees fashion through an "Everything should be pretty" lens. I used to think that way too! It wasn't until I was in my early 20s that I had a rude awakening where I finally questioned those thoughts.  She's having those thoughts challenged now (well, I hope, if she lets her mind open to it) and it's a fantastic education for her.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I liked Molly's outfit but thought Chris was the clear winner. I really liked the pattern and the mesh top fit in for once. I didn't care for Chelsea's cargo dress and thought the lined train really didn't fit. It also seemed like the model couldn't move her arms. Hawaa's outfit could have been cute if she tacked down the stripes, made them into pants and them added a different top/jacket. The tree cut-outs just looked silly and the suspenders were hanging off the model. The confetti dress could have looked nice if it was put together better, as it was it looked very arts and crafts.

In regard to the tape; I remember Tim mentioned it on the adult show many season back. They can glue but not use tape. They both seem kind of the same, but apparently this was written in the rules early on and just remains. I do feel sorry when the kids cry although I hope they understand that there has to be a winner and a loser in this type of show. Hawaa seemed angry that she was in the bottom, she may have been reacting to Tim's positive critique. He tell the judges he liked the outfit though. Cartier was the right person to go home, although her dress was constructed nicely. The judges rarely like pretty. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

In regard to the tape; I remember Tim mentioned it on the adult show many season back. They can glue but not use tape. They both seem kind of the same, but apparently this was written in the rules early on and just remains. I do feel sorry when the kids cry although I hope they understand that there has to be a winner and a loser in this type of show. Hawaa seemed angry that she was in the bottom, she may have been reacting to Tim's positive critique. He tell the judges he liked the outfit though. Cartier was the right person to go home, although her dress was constructed nicely. The judges rarely like pretty. 

The issue was part of S8.  Ivy accused Michael Costello of cheating in a previous episode and it got back to Tim.  Tim said it was moot because 1) it was old news, and 2) the model apparently taped herself every time she went out on the runway and so it wasn't MIchael's doing or fault.

I thought Chris's was best,  hands-down, as soon as it hit the runway, so I knew, of course, that he wouldn't win.

• Love 7

Well, these judges are apparently smoking the same drugs the judges on regular Project Runway.  What is the obsession with loving crafty looks?  That wasn't innovative and good, it was awful and looked like crap!  It was actually worse than the garbage that Erin was sending down the runway last season.

And I just can't with Hawwaa's designs!  All I could think when I saw her look was "clown on crack".  She has no clue!

• Love 8
14 hours ago, njbchlover said:

think that the right person went home, as Cartier's dress just looked like a home-made prom dress, (and not a very pretty one, at that).  Adding a few hand-sewn crystals to satin does not elevate a dress to Fashion Week levels, imo.

Like everyone else, I thought "prom" as it went down the runway. I later revised it to "bridesmaid dress" as prom dresses are usually more stylish with some ruffles or bling or asymmetry; while bridesmaid dresses are intentionally usually pretty boring and just need to be in the bride's color scheme. That was a really boring dress.

3 hours ago, Silly Angel said:

Why aren't the designers allowed to use boob tape? Surely in real runway they're pinning and hot-gluing their models into their clothes. I guess it's a rule of the show but I've watched literally every season of grownup, all-stars and juniors and never heard of that.

nvm, I see it was answered. Still seems silly.

• Love 1

I loved Molly's outfit.  I've loved her last 3 outfits and therefore will root for her to win.  Chris's was nice but had hem problems.  Believe it or not I loved Chelsea's dress and I was glad she won.  I haven't liked anything Hawaa has made yet and in fact I was ready for her to go home a couple of weeks ago.  It looks like Tieler is crying again next week.  

• Love 1

Since this is Project Runway Junior, I wish one of the challenges was Prom couture instead of Milan Runway. That at least would be somewhat relevant to their lives. If a teenager doesn't know where Italy is, then I would have a few comments about the state of our education system that I'll keep to myself. I suggest a course in geography in college for the confused. :)

• Love 12

Chris was robbed.   And Cartier was not the worst one up there.   Of course, she was safe and boring, so bye-bye, but she really was the best seamstress of the entire season.  

Coming back for one more comment -- Mawwaa's not fully sewn on material on her shorts.    That's sloppiness, not movement.

Are we going to be forced to have an Iggy win?

Edited by MortysCleaningLady
add
  • Love 2

All the drama about the "nips" and "tatas" showing reminded me of the fact that there was way too much age diversity here. I mean Tielor is old enough to know what a nipple is, but can you imagine A'kai in that same role? Ewww.

• Love 1

The designers can use tape and/or glue, but can't use either to attach the garment to the model's body itself.  The garment must hang freely.  I remember someone (I think it was the guy TLo nicknamed Precious Moments) glued his dress to the model and Tim made him take it off.

• Love 1

I read the recap before watching the ep and though, okay, Chelsea's dress must look MUCH better in motion. It didn't. I do not get that win at all. I would have gone with Chris or Molly. I thought for sure Chelsea would be out. Sorry to see Cartier go because I personally liked her, but I do see why she was auffed. Still wish it was Hawwaa though. I really don't like that girl.

I do love Chelsea so congrat to her though I do not at all see how that was a winning look. Even after they explained themselves I still don't get it.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Canada said:

And I just can't with Hawwaa's designs!  All I could think when I saw her look was "clown on crack".  She has no clue!

Too funny because I often dislike Hawaa's designs but I actually thought she was in the top this week.

Granted, it was an unusual color combo and when they started examining the construction you saw some pretty glaring issues but I thought it was visually interesting.   Girlfriend clearly has a distinct POV and she's not afraid to stick to her guns.  I thought her girl looked fresh and cool and I didn't even hate that yellow jacket and I thought I OD'd on that yellow with Erin. 

I think Chelsea is so cute but I really didn't get all the love for HER garment.  I swore that was in the bottom for sure.  I'm tired of the off-the-shoulder looks and I love a good cargo pant, short, jacket as much as the next girl but I just wasn't feeling that dress.  Judges raving about, "we've never seen this before!"   Yeah, well there's a reason for that.  I think that's why she seemed so surprised at her win.  She didn't even feel it was a winning look.  Chris and his mom should be on their way to Milan.  His was stunning.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, absolutqt said:

examining the construction you saw some pretty glaring issues but I thought it was visually interesting

when a judge asked whether the "gapping" in the appliques was intentional and she said yes, I *really* wondered

• Love 3
2 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

The designers can use tape and/or glue, but can't use either to attach the garment to the model's body itself.  The garment must hang freely.  I remember someone (I think it was the guy TLo nicknamed Precious Moments) glued his dress to the model and Tim made him take it off.

Precious Moments guy I think was the twee guy who really liked unicorns, but I can't remember his name. Something like Chris or Timothy, brown hair and dark horn-rimmed glasses.

Anyhow, Cartier can sew but she can't paint.  She used horizontal brush strokes and stacked the colors on top of each other. It would have been more interesting if she had used vertical strokes and tried to create texture so you could actually see the brush strokes, like you can on an oil painting. Plus she could have blended colors and also used a few lighter highlights in the dark sections and dark highlights in the light sections. Then used draping to create the dress, like Rami. Oh well.

I have seen Chris's fabric on this show before but I cannot remember which season and which designer. 

I've also realized that Hannah is being big sister for these designers. I wonder if she has younger siblings. I like her. I also like Kelly, she is very kind-hearted. I noticed she has a pretty profile (if you ignore her hair or lack of it).

• Love 4

I thought Izzy should have been in the bottom. I just don't feel like anyone would ever wear that in real life, on or off the runway. I would have put Molly in the top instead.

Hawwaa's shorts were cool and different. I would not have put her in the bottom.

Tieler's design would have looked fabulous on a more flat-chested model (or me 15 years ago).

I agree with the winner and loser though. Chelsea's dress seemed truly innovative. I bought into everything the judges said about it. (As far as her geography knowledge, I have students in my college British literature class who didn't know where England was until I showed them, so...)

8 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Cartier can sew but she can't paint.  She used horizontal brush strokes and stacked the colors on top of each other. It would have been more interesting if she had used vertical strokes and tried to create texture so you could actually see the brush strokes, like you can on an oil painting. Plus she could have blended colors and also used a few lighter highlights in the dark sections and dark highlights in the light sections.

When I was a freshman in college, we got to paint our dorm room doors any way we wanted. I had the brilliant idea to paint mine as a sunset, and it looked pretty much exactly like Cartier's dress. Keep in mind that I am in no way artistic, and I don't know how to paint. I'm not saying she's not extremely talented, but neither the design nor the sunrise idea was super creative. And she only won last week because of Tim's idea and a model who really sold the dress, so it was time for her to go.

Edited by Sesquipedalia
  • Love 2

I thought Chris should have won; the winning look was...[insert gif of the perplexed, WTF frown that was on Tim Gunn's face when the judges were gushing about it during the closeup inspection.] From far away, all you could really see was this misshapen black thing (not pockets or pinstripes) with an under-layer of color, so I don't buy them praising it on the runway either. And Izzy should have been in the bottom, her look was too crafty, too immature, sort of like last week.

• Love 8

Hawaa's outfit could have been cute if she tacked down the stripes, made them into pants and them added a different top/jacket.

Hawwaa's jacket - that eye-searing color and the air freshener pine trees tacked on the sleeves gave me unpleasant Erin flashbacks. I didn't like the shorts. Her es-tet-tic isn't mine, but the loose fabric strips reminded me of men's fashions from around the 16th century or so. (Forgive the giant codpiece. This was the only clear illustration I could find of the type of thing I was thinking of.)

trews.jpg

We've seen Chris's fabric on another season. I wish I could remember where.

chris-final.jpg

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 2

I think Hawwaa's shorts were almost runway fashion. If she had made the stripes billow out more with more fabric so that it looked intentional, the shorts would have been better. As they were, it looked like she just didn't have time to finish them.

I also think she should have done more with the tree things on the sleeves -- made more or made them bigger. They just got lost.

I loved Chris' look, and I am not fond of him. And yes, Molly's was a perfect wedding outfit for the right woman. I thought it was elegant and fresh. 

That said, Haawaa is not a favorite, and her designs leave me cold. Her jacket was unfinished, but not in a good way, the suspenders were badly done, and hiked up the shorts...and by not tacking down the fabric on the shorts, it looked less intentional, and again, unfinished.  The clashing colors, and the sad air fresheners on the sleeves...I'm not a fan. 

Tieler had a great design, and a model with gorgeous breasts...but more bosom than he had planned on...I echo the thought that some lace from Molly could have bridged the gap and let the tailoring show...and he did a beautiful job on that. 

He and Molly remain to me the most talented. 

Izzy's win was a mystery to me...beyond the crafty mess on shoulders and back, the the red and white of the dress just looked cheap.

• Love 4

I would have put Chelsea's look on the bottom.  The recap called it a sack with pockets and that's really all it was.  An ugly sack with pockets.  The only thing Chelsea should have won is a map.

Chris and, as usual, Holly were robbed. She should have been selected for a top look, I bet her outfit was well-constructed which is more than can be said for much of what came down the runway.  Is anyone on the panel going to give her a much-deserved win, or even acknowledge she exists?

14 hours ago, Canada said:

And I just can't with Hawwaa's designs!

Me neither.  I call her Hawwaat The Fuck because, really.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

air freshener pine trees

YES!

5 hours ago, Knuckles said:

Izzy's win was a mystery to me

I thought Chelsea won? Izzy was in the top though. I guess I'm in the minority. I kind of liked that confetti thing.

• Love 2

I liked all the looks except Tieler's and Hawaa's and I wasn't loving Chelsea's that much.  

Cartier's looked better in the slow pan views than pulled back, though.  It was too much of that purple.  I agree with Kelly or Hannah or whichever judge thought it would've been better with more of the dark gray on top.  But I wouldn't have sent her home.  

I just don't like Hawaa's aesthetic, look or personality, though.  

I have a feeling that winning dress is something Chelsea had designed previously and was trying to fit into this assignment, hence all the awkward twisty explanations about Swiss this and that.   Which, at least she's thinking.  It annoys me when designers claim an assignment leaves them totally without any ideas because, c'mon, you have to enter the show with at least ten ideas that you can pretend you created on the spot.  

"I thought Chelsea won?"

You are correct. I was so annoyed by the lavish praise for that hot mess that I forgot. Thank you for the heads-up. 

Molly is consistently doing interesting work..and it is well made and finished...she could have competed with last season's juniors, and they were a much more talented and imaginative crowd. Tieler is doing great things as well. 

The judges have their favorites...Chelsea is adorable, but her work, not so much. Haawaa is just not a pleasant person and I dislike how her work, often unfinished, skates by the judges. And Chris was robbed...big time. His effort this time should have ranked with Molly's....both deserved better.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I was surprised Tieler didn't try to get some of Molly's (?) lace fabric and sew in a quick faux cami.  It would have probably been detrimental to the look but modesty would have survived.

I was thinking that same thing.  Just a little triangle for illusion and tack it on either side.  

• Love 4