Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Doug's Story

• Start Topic

I know this sounds strange but I'm a little shock as to how much he weighs . Others have looked so much bigger at 600 lbs and immobile with lymphedema etc.  He is almost 700lbs but doesn't look as big as the 600 pounders. He must be tall.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bubbles1967 said:

I know this sounds strange but I'm a little shock as to how much he weighs . Others have looked so much bigger at 600 lbs and immobile with lymphedema etc.  He is almost 700lbs but doesn't look as big as the 600 pounders. He must be tall.

Yes, he is tall.  IIRC it was said at the beginning of the episode that he was 6'6".

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Kelly said:

Yes, he is tall.  IIRC it was said at the beginning of the episode that he was 6'6".

I must have missed that. His wife definitely looked like she gained weight though.  Considering her own battle with weight, you would think she would benefit with changing the food that they eat for his diet. 

• Love 3
On 2/2/2017 at 10:51 PM, OSM Mom said:

My husband was in tech school for the Air Force there.  Armpit was too high on the body. More like a festering boil on the buttocks of Texas.  Lubbock was not much better.  

Hey now!  Obviously from my name, I am an alumna of Tech. Lubbock is a fantastic college town and often gets a bad wrap but I understand in a way.  I have lived over the entire state of Texas except for far west Texas and far south Texas and my personal opinion is that Corpus Christi is the anus of Texas! ;) 

• Love 2
On 2/2/2017 at 9:23 PM, CarolMK said:

Watching this series the last couple of years has made me wonder if the recent extreme size of people that we see on this show is a result of having a constant supply of junk food, soda, and cheap fast food available.

That's a widely accepted theory in the nutrition field - I've heard it referred to as the "food reward hypothesis" or the "high palatability theory".  And it makes sense - take a look at countries like France, Italy, Asian countries, who historically have had diets that are high in carbohydrate OR high in fat (The French Paradox, The Asian Paradox), yet very low rates of obesity, heart disease, etc.  One thing they have in common is that while their historic diets have been high in fat or carbs (bread, rice, pasta), they ate very little sugar.  Their fat sources were all saturated fats (butter, pork lard, beef tallow, cured meats, heavy cream, cheeses).  Now that the younger generations of those countries are adopting a fast-food based, Standard American Diet, obesity and diabetes rates are going through the roof.  In India, there are skyrocketing rates of diabetes, and the people are developing diabetes at much lower weight and BMIs than their western counterparts.

A really good book that addresses the issues of food reward and how the processed food industry took it and ran with it is "Salt Sugar Fat:  How the Food Giants Hooked Us" by Michael Moss.  NPR interviewed him a few years ago when the book came out and I believe there is an excerpt of the book on the NPR website.  Big Food using the same tactics as Big Tobacco.

On 2/3/2017 at 10:36 AM, Hockeymom said:

I know Kielbasa is tasty, but healthy? I'm sure there are some healthier versions out there, but this was just processed, fatty, salty, whatever was on sale from the grocery store, Kielbasa.

I've mentioned this before, but meats like kielbasa and Hillshire Farms sausages are perfectly acceptable for a low carb diet (Dr. Now calls it "no carbs", but vegetables and eggs still have carbs, albeit low to trace amounts).  They are a good protein source, and people on a low carb diet are often salt-deficient and many complain of the "keto flu" which is rectified by adding salt to the meals or drinking a salty broth.  I wouldn't base my diet on processed meats like sausages, but they are a fine protein source on a low carb diet so long as they don't have fillers like wheat or sugars, and so long as you are including beef, poultry, fish and seafood to the meat/protein rotation.  In fact one of the benefits that many following a low carb diet enjoy is a reduction in blood pressure resulting in the elimination of blood pressure medications, despite having to add salts back into their diets.

Edited by flappa1016
  • Love 10
On 2/2/2017 at 10:00 AM, Cherrio said:

Uh, Doug is not dealing with the sexual abuse he suffered.  I also don't think he is dealing with his true feelings about his mother. Neither is the mother.

I think in this case, maybe all potential patients for surgery, long term therapy before is a must.    I know at least a few posters have said this actually happens.

I would not of approved him for surgery until he had at least a year of mental help.    Also, if he honestly dealt with his feelings, he may have not even had to have surgery.   

You would have effectively killed him then.  He probably wouldn't have survived the year, since he would have continued to gain.  In a case where someone is SO morbidly obese, it's better to start getting him on the right path, then deal with the mental issues.  We aren't talking about just 100 pounds overweight here.

On 2/2/2017 at 1:37 PM, cpcathy said:

Her top looked like a scrubs top to me. Dental profession, maybe? Phlebotomist?

They said she was a nurse.  So, she made really good money.

• Love 6
On 2/2/2017 at 2:37 PM, cpcathy said:

Her top looked like a scrubs top to me. Dental profession, maybe? Phlebotomist?

That's what I thought too. Something in the dental or medical profession. If she were a nurse that could bring in a healthy income. 

6 hours ago, raiderred1 said:

Hey now!  Obviously from my name, I am an alumna of Tech. Lubbock is a fantastic college town and often gets a bad wrap but I understand in a way.  I have lived over the entire state of Texas except for far west Texas and far south Texas and my personal opinion is that Corpus Christi is the anus of Texas! ;) 

Guns Up!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, raiderred1 said:

I currently live in Far west Texas.  Lol  And my experiences with Lubbock were 40 years ago.  So I'm sure it's changed.  

Edited by OSM Mom
Because was and were are not interchangeable words.
  • Love 1

I am halfway through Doug's episode and just had to stop and vent for a minute. 

I currently follow a ketogenic diet, which is basically a very low carb, no sugar, no grains way of eating. In order to make sure the daily food intake stays under 20grams of carbs, food has to be logged and tracked. It is a lot of work, and a lot of the foods have to be prepared from scratch, since prepackaged, processed foods usually have tons of carbs and sugar added. If I had someone preparing all my food for me, doing all the meal planning, calorie counting and cooking, and all I had to do was eat it, it would be so much easier. Granted, I know Doug is a food addict, and that adds a layer of difficulty to what he is trying to do, but still. He has a personal chef there doing most of the heavy lifting for him. All he has to lift is the fork to his mouth.

When he started whining about how hard he is working on this diet as his wife hands him a carefully prepared, calorie counted, balanced meal, I wanted to take that plate and flip it into his face. He might make noises about feeling guilty for how much his wife does for the household, but he has no idea how hard she really is working, because he never has had to do it himself.

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Maggienolia said:

That's what I thought too. Something in the dental or medical profession. If she were a nurse that could bring in a healthy income. 

I think it depends on what kind of nurse she is and what is considered a "healthy income."  I checked glass door.com and the average salary when using the generic term "nurse" was an average of about $57,000 in Lubbock, TX.  Is that a good salary for that area?  Where I live, that salary would not be enough to have my family live in a nicer house.  Also, where I live (which has a high senior citizen population), nurses that work in the nursing homes seem to earn much less (and at the nursing home my father was at, they seem to be way less of a caliber than the nurses at the hospital, but YMMV).

• Love 1

I can't speak for the area she lives in or type of nurse she is... but in a nursing home there is a good chance she is a LVN and not RN. I only say that because I'm an RN, in Houston... but I had a really hard time finding a job in a non hospital setting. I'm sure she's been a nurse of some sort for a while, so I'm not sure how true this would be, but I don't think she's too terribly much older than I am (I'm 34). But I've only been a nurse for 2 years, there has been a shift in nursing towards being RN vs LVN, with that hospitals are only hiring RNs, and RN's with bachelors degrees for a lot of them. So the LVNs are more often in settings like doctors offices/rehab/nursing homes. I also don't know about her salary, but in a nursing home setting she probably isn't making a lot, unfortunately they tend to be underpaid... but again I'm not sure about the area she lives in. I know my starting salary was around $30 an hour, which was pretty good considering I was straight out of school with little experience (I was an MA before I was a nurse) I'm also single with no kids so that was plenty for me, I'm not sure how far that would go in a family of 5, where the other parent is pulling disability and not working (was he getting disability? I don't remember anymore). 

• Love 3
On 2/2/2017 at 0:47 PM, Suzy123 said:

Wasn't the calorie limit 600 in other seasons of the show? Dr. Now puts it at 1200.

I don't recall 600, but do recall several 800 calorie limits, as well as the 1200 limit. It varies with the patient. Also, we don't see the details of the blood tests. Maybe the calorie limit depends on what else is going on with the patient besides obesity. When I looked into WLS, they wanted a 1200 calorie diet of real food, not any of this protein shake business. 

On 2/3/2017 at 7:06 AM, operalover said:

It's not such a great tool. Rather than a magic bullet, it's like a very small help. 

And that's why I choose not to have it. I'm no where near as big as these people. I'm still on a board for mature people who have or are getting the sleeve and the problems that occur, not only right after the surgery, but for some folks, years down the line, are nothing to sneeze at. I'm in generally OK health now and a widow. I didn't want to be constantly sick like some of these folks and I didn't want to put a big burden, because of the choices I made, on my son, in case something went wrong. 

One of my friends had the regular WLS. When I told her what they had set as a goal weight for me, I mentioned I thought it was doable, as I weighed that when I got pregnant. She stated she had never been a normal weight. I think that might be a reason why so many of the patients opt for the surgery (and perhaps, why they get so big in the first place), many have never been a normal weight. They don't know how to stop or make adjustments when they start gaining weight. 

• Love 3

Yes, Aliya it's not so easy to have this surgery and you mention all the complications. It doesn't seem worth it in that regard and it only seems like a small help. And it's only a help if you are going to totally change to healthy eating forever.  For someone like  doug who ate and ate until he vomited, he doesnt know when he is full or doesn't care.  They said in part of the episode that when he was a kid he used to eat so much he would puke. For doug, if he is uncomfortable because he ate too much with the smaller stomach, he will just wait a bit and eat again and shove in the wrong foods. If you are eating right and dieting, I see it will make you less hungry, and if you have to diet for years to lose 300 pounds then it's much easier if you are not hungry all the time.  But this is only if you use hunger as a guide which most of these people do not! It will only work if you stop eating when you are full. If you only eat when you are hungry but none of these people got so overweight by only eating when they were hungry. 90% of it is eating right and following the diet and 10% is the help from the surgery because you get full fast. It doesn't stop the cravings, it doesn't stop emotional eating, it doesn't stop stress eating. The way they carry on about "it's my only hope, it's my last chance, I'll die without the surgery, I hope I'm approved" you would think it was 90% the surgery and 10% controlling yourself.  That one woman who died because "no doctor would approve me for surgery" she was 900 pounds. She was going on and on for years trying to raise funds etc to get the surgery or else she would die. She was bed bound- all her family had to do was only bring her the food that she would be allowed to eat post-surgery- if they wanted to save her life. There was a way to keep her from dying without the surgery. She wasn't eating 10,000 calories a day because she was hungry. Eventually she got the surgery and died 2 weeks later due to surgery complications. So much for that!

What really helps is that once they have the surgery, they are accountable to someone. They have montly weigh ins and get yelled at if they go off track. They spent money and put themselves through so much, it gives more motivation to stick with a diet. This accountability seems to  do more than the actual smaller stomach. When they are working toward a goal- to get the surgery- they seem able to diet without the smaller stomach. It does probably suck though and is very very hard, and Im sure you are hungry on only 1200 calories a day! It only helps if you are going to get help and learn to control emotional eating and commit to a new lifestyle of eating. Then it is a great tool because you won't be so hungry all the time, eating less, and you can keep it up for many years. But this fails so much because there is way more to the problem than appetite control.

Edited by operalover
  • Love 5

A close friend of the family is an RN and, at least where she works, they have a saying... "GBGB" - Gastric Bypass Gone Bad.  Yes, there are many complications and it is not a guarantee or a permanent fix. This is one reason I decided I had to fix the problem in my head rather than the one in my stomach. I would never condemn or judge anyone for the path they choose to health, but surgery wasn't for me, and I'm happy with my choice. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, OSM Mom said:

I currently live in Far west Texas.  Lol  And my experiences with Lubbock were 40 years ago.  So I'm sure it's changed.  

I had a nice response typed out and my computer decided to eat it so...eh.  

At least you don't have to deal with the humidity in far west Texas! ;)  My niece attends Tech and we go out there often and it shocks me how things have changed in 20+(sigh) years.  It certainly was fun back in the day.  40 years ago I could see it being a bit boring especially if you weren't in school out there. 

10 hours ago, notyrmomma said:

I think it depends on what kind of nurse she is and what is considered a "healthy income."  I checked glass door.com and the average salary when using the generic term "nurse" was an average of about $57,000 in Lubbock, TX.  Is that a good salary for that area?  Where I live, that salary would not be enough to have my family live in a nicer house.  Also, where I live (which has a high senior citizen population), nurses that work in the nursing homes seem to earn much less (and at the nursing home my father was at, they seem to be way less of a caliber than the nurses at the hospital, but YMMV).

$57 k a year in Lubbock or Wichita Falls is pretty good money.  The cost of living is very low in those towns.  Land is cheap and taxes low but we all know there is a trade off to living in or around a large metro area.  They would be considered mid-sized towns not big cities like Dallas, San Antonio or Houston.

• Love 1
On 2/4/2017 at 3:08 PM, flappa1016 said:

That's a widely accepted theory in the nutrition field - I've heard it referred to as the "food reward hypothesis" or the "high palatability theory".  And it makes sense - take a look at countries like France, Italy, Asian countries, who historically have had diets that are high in carbohydrate OR high in fat (The French Paradox, The Asian Paradox), yet very low rates of obesity, heart disease, etc.  One thing they have in common is that while their historic diets have been high in fat or carbs (bread, rice, pasta), they ate very little sugar.  Their fat sources were all saturated fats (butter, pork lard, beef tallow, cured meats, heavy cream, cheeses).  Now that the younger generations of those countries are adopting a fast-food based, Standard American Diet, obesity and diabetes rates are going through the roof.  In India, there are skyrocketing rates of diabetes, and the people are developing diabetes at much lower weight and BMIs than their western counterparts.

A really good book that addresses the issues of food reward and how the processed food industry took it and ran with it is "Salt Sugar Fat:  How the Food Giants Hooked Us" by Michael Moss.  NPR interviewed him a few years ago when the book came out and I believe there is an excerpt of the book on the NPR website.  Big Food using the same tactics as Big Tobacco.

I've mentioned this before, but meats like kielbasa and Hillshire Farms sausages are perfectly acceptable for a low carb diet (Dr. Now calls it "no carbs", but vegetables and eggs still have carbs, albeit low to trace amounts).  They are a good protein source, and people on a low carb diet are often salt-deficient and many complain of the "keto flu" which is rectified by adding salt to the meals or drinking a salty broth.  I wouldn't base my diet on processed meats like sausages, but they are a fine protein source on a low carb diet so long as they don't have fillers like wheat or sugars, and so long as you are including beef, poultry, fish and seafood to the meat/protein rotation.  In fact one of the benefits that many following a low carb diet enjoy is a reduction in blood pressure resulting in the elimination of blood pressure medications, despite having to add salts back into their diets.

Clearly, I'm no nutritionist. However, I did do Atkins( low carb) a few years back with some co-workers. In the beginning it was terrific! We were eating all the steak and bacon we could handle and the weight just kept falling off. I was fitting into clothes so old they were out of style!

But once we reached our goal weight, we started on maintenance, and the problems began. I believe any program will work if you stick with it. However, we live in America. In France they eat a certain diet, and that works. In China, they eat a different diet, and THAT works. But here, it's a melting pot of everything. To me, cutting out a food group completely is just asking for trouble. The Kielbasa that is acceptable on a low carb plan today, won't be acceptable a year from now on a bun at a picnic. I just don't think its realistic to expect people, many of whom are cooking for kids, to stick to this program forever. How long do you think they'll be making different meals for everyone in the house?

I would rather see them working with a qualified nutritionist to transition from weight loss to weight management. The entire family can benefit from this knowledge. The ability to make informed, healthy choices, while incorporating a variety of foods, is an essential tool for life in the real world.

Our country got fat eating fat-free. We got chubby cutting out bread. We tell our kids "no candy" and happily hand over sugar bombs dressed as granola bars.

Again, no expert here. Just a lifetime of anecdotal evidence. I have noticed the people who succeed take a moderate approach. They can enjoy a sandwich for lunch, the occasional pasta dinner, maybe even dessert once in a while. I worked with a girl who was seriously in great shape. One day, she ordered Fettuccine Alfredo for lunch and ate the entire portion. It was huge!! I asked her how she could eat like that and still be so thin. She answered " I don't eat this everyday!" and laughed, like it was such a dumb question.

Many of these people have never been a healthy weight - have never had a normal "relationship" with food. They just have no reference point of what is normal. They don't know how to moderate. Balance is key. Because it's never just the food that's out of control.

• Love 14
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 2:51 PM, Hockeymom said:

Do people get paid to be on the show? If so, I wonder how much? Maybe that's how they always drive up to Dr. Now's office in brand new trucks! There must be some incentive to let yourself be filmed in the shower - crying, falling, and hitting rock bottom.

I don't think they get very much because a patient from last season occasionally does live chats on Facebook where people have asked her about that.  She would only say that she has a contract with the show and they don't allow her to talk about money.  She did say that you have to want to do it for your health because the money isn't really all that much.  No doubt that is true because she was saying on Facebook not long ago her and her husband were waiting for their tax return so they could buy a car.  Obviously the show doesn't pay them enough that they could go out and buy a car if that's the case.

5 hours ago, KittyKat94 said:

I don't think they get very much because a patient from last season occasionally does live chats on Facebook where people have asked her about that.  She would only say that she has a contract with the show and they don't allow her to talk about money.  She did say that you have to want to do it for your health because the money isn't really all that much.  No doubt that is true because she was saying on Facebook not long ago her and her husband were waiting for their tax return so they could buy a car.  Obviously the show doesn't pay them enough that they could go out and buy a car if that's the case.

In one of the 600 lb life Facebook groups, someone who states that it was confirmed with a producer that they only earn about $4,000 an episode which is supposed to include a moving fee and a tiny fee to "buy" their story.  This person also said that the show will rent them a car if they need it for a scene and will buy their food if they also need it for a scene.  I personally wouldn't show my fat naked ass to anyone, let alone millions of viewers, for anything less than $10,000!  (JUST KIDDING, OK maybe $100,000, LOL)

• Love 8

Ahhh, well that explains a lot!

So I wonder if they get the initial $4K, and then more when the Super Sized edition airs?

And what about the follow up shows? Do they get paid again? They must, because it's new production.

I need answers!!! :)

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

Ahhh, well that explains a lot!

So I wonder if they get the initial $4K, and then more when the Super Sized edition airs?

And what about the follow up shows? Do they get paid again? They must, because it's new production.

I need answers!!! :)

Hi Hockeymom - I read somewhere that because the participants are not part of an acting union, they don't get paid residuals. Seems like a bit of a raw deal financially to me, but on the up side they get the surgery, etc... so that's good.

• Love 2

I don't mean to sound horrible, but I would think that once these folks aren't spending thousands of $ on mega quantities of fast food and giant pizzas, their overall budgets would improve quite a bit.  Also, the previously immobile ones should eventually be able to find employment. Of course, this would be true only for the ones who succeed at weight loss. 

• Love 1

I've noticed something in the way that these folks eat *before* having the surgery -- but Doug eats that way *after*, too...not a good sign...

They shovel the food in their mouth, as fast as they can, without even taking the time to taste what they're eating.

When Doug's wife said to him, "I can't believe how fast you're eating that [referring to the bananna pudding]!", he actually took it as a positive -- like a compliment.  Poor guy didn't even realize she was thoroughly disgusted with watching him shovel the pudding in his mouth, as fast as he could.

• Love 2
On 11/10/2017 at 7:35 AM, LocalGovt said:

I've noticed something in the way that these folks eat *before* having the surgery -- but Doug eats that way *after*, too...not a good sign...

They shovel the food in their mouth, as fast as they can, without even taking the time to taste what they're eating.

When Doug's wife said to him, "I can't believe how fast you're eating that [referring to the bananna pudding]!", he actually took it as a positive -- like a compliment.  Poor guy didn't even realize she was thoroughly disgusted with watching him shovel the pudding in his mouth, as fast as he could.

It's almost like they are in a trance while inhaling the food.  It seems to me that it's about much more than the food.  That's why they need some serious therapy, imo.  

And I agree with Hockeymom, above about the sustainability of their diets. I'm no expert either.  I get how they are at death's door and really need to lose weight fast, but, to me, adjusting to a sustainable diet would be beneficial.  What good is the loss, if they can't sustain it?  Living long term on a super restricted carb diet seems unlikely.  And, from what I have seen, dieters are always in this mode that they have to be super strict, like white knuckling it every day.  What kind of life is that? I suspect that's why so many of them give up.  To me, learning moderation would be freeing to them.  Oh, and giving up fast food.  It's a shame that so many people are super obese, but, malnourished from lack of nutrition.  They don't even know what nutrition is.....sad. 

When people that I know suggest fast food, I just smile and say, that food is not my friend.  They don't even know what I'm talking about. lol  How in the hey can you order a sandwich that has more calories than you should eat for the entire day?  Boggles the mind.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
On 11/10/2017 at 4:35 AM, LocalGovt said:

Why bother? There's more food where that came from.

(edited)

Doug is from Wichita Falls, has a wife and twin daughters, and she had an adorable little boy from another relationship.   Doug is a former meth addicts, and other substances, and got off of those, and replaced this with a food addiction.   There is a basic episode, and then a follow up with Doug, wife, and kids.    

(The reason I mention Wichita Falls is that a friend called me when the episode was on the first time, and said the second rental house they moved into was the house next door where my friend used to live a long time ago.). 

I was shocked Doug thought shoveling down Banana Pudding, and Cream soup with milk in it, as part of his post surgery liquid diet.   His wife also had some kind of WLS before he did, but had put a lot back on, and decided to turn vegetarian to lose weight.   She ended up on Dr. Now's diet after that too, and did very well.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Doug is from Wichita Falls,

(The reason I mention Wichita Falls is that a friend called me when the episode was on, and said the second rental house was the house next door where my friend used to live a long time ago.). 

Heh...I just watched THE LAST PICTURE SHOW  the other day and Wichita Falls, TX was the "big city" to the dying town of Anarene

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, OoogleEyes said:

Heh...I just watched THE LAST PICTURE SHOW  the other day and Wichita Falls, TX was the "big city" to the dying town of Anarene

Long long ago, when I was a little kid, dirt was young, mastodons roamed the earth, and TV was black and white, we lived in a small town in OK. The TV stations that we watched were located in - Wichita Falls. (Our town was not far from the OK/TX state line.) 

I vaguely remember Doug. Not sure I'll watch. I really need to mask up and pick up a couple of birthday cards and kid birthday presents, and we're having a break in the heat wave today so it will be pleasant to be outdoors.

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

Long long ago, when I was a little kid, dirt was young, mastodons roamed the earth, and TV was black and white, we lived in a small town in OK. The TV stations that we watched were located in - Wichita Falls. (Our town was not far from the OK/TX state line.) 

I vaguely remember Doug. Not sure I'll watch. I really need to mask up and pick up a couple of birthday cards and kid birthday presents, and we're having a break in the heat wave today so it will be pleasant to be outdoors.

Yeah, I might check in here or there. Like you, I may watch, I may not. 

BTW, seems like we were both little kids during the same time period!😁

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Well at least we know his height which is 6 foot, 6 inches, as well as his weight of 684. Not that he's not super morbidly obese but I just like to have accurate information upfront instead of us having to guess at it.

BTW, good job Doug's FBV! That's the awesomely apt title Female Birth Vessel courtesy of @CrazyInAlabama for the type of mom he had.😢

• Love 1
(edited)

"Don't talk, too sad to talk!" says Cooper to him for not being able to play with his dad at the playground. Talk about out of the mouth of babes.......... 😢

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Effing Autocorrect!

Uh oh Dr. Baby Voice advice aka Dr. Tiffany Stewart, write a letter to your mother. At least she said to just keep it in a journal as opposed to writing an actual letter. As I recall, that led to an actual meeting with his useless bio mom and how his wife Ashley said that he absolutely did not owe that woman any apologies when he read the letter to her.

• Love 1