Type keyword(s) to search

Mary Kills People - General Discussion

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I liked it. I'd watch a season 2, if there is one.

I liked it, too. But I thought the season was too short--I barely got to know Mary. The actress playing Mary did a great job of showing her tortured emotional state, but I wish there were more episodes to fully develop her character. And to resolve or more thoroughly flesh out some of the plot points--e.g., the police investigation--is it over? What happened to Des? What happened to the kids.

Speaking of the kids, I can't believe no one brought forth (or posted) cell phone video footage of the fight between Naomi and...Mary's daughter. People were filming it in the halls. At the very least, several witnesses saw Naomi slap Mary's daughter first.

• Love 1

I found this last night on demand and only made it to this episode. 

Thoughts.. so far..

• It is a little tough to watch personally. I believe that the doctors in my mom's hospital helped me to "end" my mom's suffering with morphine so it can be hard to watch this show.  I actually believe this is done on a daily basis without any conversation or dramatics. 
  • Saw a documentary on the Netherlands. We watched a woman kill herself. It was a little scary and sad.  That documentary made me more likely to oppose euthanasia than this. Basically because I believed that the woman had no reason to die and had basically talked herself into it as necessary. Her (adult) children were devastated and it just seemed sad because this woman seemed a little selfish and it did seem like the downsides of legalization had actually come into play. 
  • I, in general, enjoy this type of anti hero, reminds me of Dexter.  I have zero problem with what she is doing. 
  • Laughing a bit at the Canadian cast. Not only do we get  ‎Caroline Dhavernas  but the ALS mom was the girl from Forever Knight. I enjoy seeing the Canadian actors. Speaking of that Mary's daughter seems so familiar to me but I can't peg where I saw her. 
  • Don't like the romance with the cop. I just don't think Jay Ryan is that hot so it is strange to me that they would immediately have sex like that.  Seemed forced.  Also forced, the idea that anyone would go after her as a suspect.  Simply not a political score in this day and age. You could have 50% of the people hate her and 50% love her.  It helps that she killed a Judge's son but still, you have to find a prosecutor that is willing to take the case. 
  • Really worried for Casper.  That is evil. 
  • I enjoy the brisk pace and think that if 6 episodes means the junk is cut than I am all for 6 episodes. 
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Overall I liked it. But I agree it was too short. 

• I kind of had a problem with Mary setting up the drug dealer. She didn't seem sophisticated enough to be setting up drug dealers.  I mean that takes some advanced skills and Mary is just a doctor.  There was no way she could know it would all go to plan. Perhaps if there had been a longer set up.  Plus where will she get the drugs now? It would be funny if she had to become a drug dealer to just get the drugs. 
  • I know her partner is kind of a mess but, I think they should be a couple... he clearly cares about Mary. 
  • Again, just didn't see the point of Jay Ryan's character. I didn't get any deep love or attraction from the two of them and he doesn't care for her very much if he is leaving? That was not developed enough.
  • Liked that they left the other shoe to drop on Mary with her family but still feel like if she was smart enough to set up a drug dealer she should be able to find a story for her family. 

If they were to come back I think it should focus more on Mary's internal problems the case of the week and if the "cops" were to go after her again have it be more of a high level agency after her with smarter agents... following her long term.   

• Love 1

I happened to catch the season 2 premiere, didn't even know it was coming back. But when Mary mentioned how many jobs she pulled while Desmond was away, and the one that she pulled with him went sideways, I was cracking up. Dammit Des, not out for too long before you jump right back into some mess. I knew she was a set-up from the moment she sat at that bar. You just got out of jail, where is your "DANGER IT'S A TRAP" meter?

• Love 5

I'm glad this is back. Only six episodes? I'm wracking my brain trying to remember season one and what happened. I'm glad Des is still around. I gasped when the wife threw herself off the balcony instead of drinking the Pento with her husband. What a way to go! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Straycat80 said:

I'm glad this is back. Only six episodes? I'm wracking my brain trying to remember season one and what happened. I'm glad Des is still around. I gasped when the wife threw herself off the balcony instead of drinking the Pento with her husband. What a way to go! 

... oh but, it's not over yet!!!  LOL.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I gasped when the wife threw herself off the balcony instead of drinking the Pento with her husband. What a way to go! 

My jaw hit the ground! I watch a fair amount of TV and I thought I knew where that was going, but nope! And the twist! Thank God Mary was able to help her in the end. 

• Love 3
On 3/13/2018 at 1:21 PM, seniorpatriot said:

I was so glad to see this back on. It is a very unusual story line, not the same old stuff. But what was up with that very odd shot of Mary at the woman's door towards the end? Made her look almost "demonic."

Caroline Dhavernas has some great facial expressions. Subtle yet effective. When the theater guy told her she looked like a tv doctor, she was indeed looking very pretty—and normal. But when the ex-husband told her that his soon-to-be ex-wife was intimidated by her, she looked at him with this bug-eyed and well, intimidating, stare. 

I’m generally okay with shows that don’t do a big recap of the previous season. But this show needed one. I couldn’t remember all of the details from the season finale, and I’m too lazy to go back. 

Things I couldn’t remember:

• Why did Des go to jail?
  • How did Mary escape the police? Wasn’t there a phone out there somewhere that led back to her? And wasn’t she in trouble with her hospital?
  • I thought the nurse who was giving her referrals decided not to do it anymore. Not true?
  • Why is her ex-husband separated from his wife?
  • And where is Mary’s sister?
1 hour ago, topanga said:

Caroline Dhavernas has some great facial expressions. Subtle yet effective. When the theater guy told her she looked like a tv doctor, she was indeed looking very pretty—and normal. But when the ex-husband told her that his soon-to-be ex-wife was intimidated by her, she looked at him with this bug-eyed and well, intimidating, stare. 

I’m generally okay with shows that don’t do a big recap of the previous season. But this show needed one. I couldn’t remember all of the details from the season finale, and I’m too lazy to go back. 

Things I couldn’t remember:

• How did Mary escape the police? Wasn’t there a phone out there somewhere that led back to her? And wasn’t she in trouble with her hospital?
  • I thought the nurse who was giving her referrals decided not to do it anymore. Not true?

Don't hold me to it, but:

I think Des went to jail because he was caught with drugs.

Her drug supplier "happened" to be outside the hospital & they drove away in his car.  He shot his assistant in the car & Mary dropped her phone in the car while she was escaping.

The nurse is still "on board".

Her ex-husband was living with the woman & it didn't work out ... I think because of the kids.

Since the show is shot in and around Toronto, I'm thinking she has a place in cottage country (Barrie, etc.)

Hope this helps!!

Edited by Medicine Crow
Changed a her to his.
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Don't hold me to it, but:

I think Des went to jail because he was caught with drugs.

Her drug supplier "happened" to be outside the hospital & they drove away in his car.  He shot his assistant in the car & Mary dropped her phone in the car while she was escaping.

The nurse is still "on board".

Her ex-husband was living with the woman & it didn't work out ... I think because of the kids.

Since the show is shot in and around Toronto, I'm thinking she has a place in cottage country (Barrie, etc.)

Hope this helps!!

Thanks. It does help. But what happened to her missing phone? I guess no one found it? 

Another thing—Mary is periodically flying into California? Texas? And then driving to Mexico? That’s gotta be raising some red flags. 

4 hours ago, topanga said:

Seeing as I binged both these seasons in a relatively decent manner, I can try to answer this for you. However, note that even watching all 12 episodes in a row, I can barely remember the specifics.

Des went to jail because of what happened with the drug dealer last season. Him and Mary planted all of the assisted suicides on the main drug dealer, but Des had to be an accomplice in order for it to happen. This was to get Mary out of the line of fire.

Everything was planted on the main drug dealer. It's been a bit since binge watching, but she managed to deflect all of it. 

I think she ended up changing her mind?

They didn't fully explain all of this, but I do remember that Naomi's mom found the video of Mary, Des, and Ben, so that seemed to put distance between her and Mary's ex husband. I can't remember what else happened there. I guess it also had to do with Naomi and Jess.

Geographical-wise? She's up in cottage country, for sure. 

13 minutes ago, topanga said:

Thanks. It does help. But what happened to her missing phone? I guess no one found it? 

Her missing phone was found in the car where the police found the dead drug dealer that the main drug dealer shot. That was used as evidence against the main drug dealer, I believe. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Seeing as I binged both these seasons in a relatively decent manner, I can try to answer this for you. However, note that even watching all 12 episodes in a row, I can barely remember the specifics.

Thanks! Very helpful 

Holy Hell. I mean, you're already in the house, the Pento is in the rum, he's about to be high as a kite. Might as well let that play out. Of course, you'd have crazy ass Olivia to deal with.....

Des.....I was ready to be pissed at him for striking out on his own, but he showed that he could probably handle it.

Oh and Ben!!!! I had to blink twice, then once again to make sure it was him. That last shot of her almost out the door, and then BAM he's right there, was nice. 

Edited by nekilarose
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, gesundheit said:

I'm so excited that Jess seems to be getting a real girlfriend! It's such a dark show, having a little young love in the mix is just the antidote. (Of course I doubt Naomi will take it well.)

Naomi is gonna be the one to bust everything wide open. She's already jealous that Jess is hanging out with new girl. Plus what she just found on the hard drive, I can tell she's gonna try and blackmail SOMEBODY just to get the attention back on her.

• Love 3

Just popping in to say:  I'm caught up on Season 2 and ready for more! 

The acting in this is really good, the sets are gorgeous, and the actors are pretty nice to look at, too. 

Some of the plot could easily come off as absurd, but there's a good balance that tones it all down. It isn't perfect, but not every show can be a "Breaking Bad". (Nor does it have to be for me to enjoy it). 

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 2

Thankfully Mary has a lot more nerves than I do, cause when the camera panned up and I saw Ben, I jumped and yelled 'Holy Shit!' I did like how he was respectful of the family. Maybe now that he's seen what it actually entails, he'll try and divert attention away from her. Aaaand of course he's gonna jump back into bed with her. Dumbass.

Dammit Naomi, for one second I thought you were gonna be the bigger person, guess not. I still maintain she's gonna pop at the wrong time. Olivia the cops just showed up asking about your husband, can you try and show some emotion? Just a bit? No? Okay.

• Love 4

I've just binge watched all the available episodes so I'm ready for the final two hours of season 2.  I had put off watching this show because I figured it'd be too sad given the subject matter and I really have to be in a certain mood to watch depressing stuff.  Color me surprised when this didn't turn out the way I expected it too at all, lol.

I really wanted the young man with bowel cancer to have sex just once before he died but least he got a kiss.  It broke my heart watching his parents hold him as he died.  And then Ben walking in!  It's good he got to see that though.  It really brings home what Mary is trying to do for these people who are suffering and who are choosing to end their suffering on their own terms.

The depressed wife in the season two premiere brings up some good questions.  I was kind of with Des on that one.  Grief and bereavement as a reason to help someone commit suicide is a tricky thing. 

I, for one, am glad that Ben is back.  I admit though that it's hard to see how things can work between them long term given who they are.  Still, he's clearly willing to risk a lot for her.

I'm about done with Naomi.  I don't know why Jess continues to have her around. 

Love Des and love that he and Mary are just best friends.  That's something you hardly ever see on tv.

Does Ben know that Olivia is Grady's sister?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I'm pretty sure he does, but don't hold me to it!!  LOL  (Love this show.)

It's so bizarre to watch her go from being so stone cold to being all sweet with her daughter.  Poor kid.

• Love 3

Oh wow, please tell me that was a fake-out!!! 

As soon as Olivia  started talking  I knew Mary  was made. That was some mutually  assured destruction  right there. I see the old cliche  of two people  speaking  in a restroom  and the 3rd person  overhearing  is still with us. Naomi might have actually  brought  mother and daughter  back together. But I know she's gonna fly right back off  when she realizes  her plan to get back  at Jess didn't  work . I am concerned  about  Heather, though, all of Naomi's talk about  God and what he would  think.

Side note: does Olivia  own anything else  but white clothes ?  

• Love 3

This felt like a series finale to me and I hope it isn't.  I like this show. I could do without the teen daughter and her drama. I wish they would have shown more backstory on Olivia instead. 

I don't think Ben is dead either. The Hospice is too safe, I don't think they will show a death of the week there. They have to show that Mary and Des are taking a risk at getting caught. 

• Love 3

I think it was a huge risk allowing all those spectators to attend the last assisted suicide at the Hospice.

Also, the teen daughter's bitchy little friend is a loose cannon, and definitely a liability.  So is the teen daughter's girlfriend.

I'm definitely looking forward to a new season, if there is one.

• Love 7

Yeah, that really took me out of it that they had about 25 guests at the hospice watching this happen. I'd assumed they were doing a ceremony but then the actual assisted suicide would be private. Seems like at some point word would get out!

• Love 5
On 5/26/2019 at 10:07 PM, Medicine Crow said:

Just finished watching Season 3, Episode 3.

8 hours ago, Orillia said:

It really is too bad that there is only one episode left, This season has been excellent

I hope it airs in the US some time this century so we can actually discuss how great the season is, instead of the two of you just rubbing it in every day. LOL