Type keyword(s) to search

Mary Kills People - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Thanks! Any other fellow Canuckistanians watching this one? I've loved Caroline Dhavernas ever since Wonderfalls and I think she's great in this one. It's a nice mixture of drama and comedy. I thought her falling for the patient/undercover cop so quickly rang a little false but hey, only 6 episodes, they have to move fast. 

• Love 3

I am really enjoying this show so far!  I like the mix of the ridiculous when things go wrong, to the ongoing compassion that they show with the people who are genuinely suffering.  The cast is excellent too.

• Love 3

2nd episode is continuing with the high quality and ramping up the tension quite nicely.  There is certainly no problem with dragging out plot points forever, and I guess why would they, with only 6 episodes?  Bonus points for using a Sarah McLachlan song that isn't Angel.  I thought that scene was very well done and quite touching.

I'm not so sure why she has such a problem with someone killing themselves using a gun or whatever other means.  Same result, just messier, no?

On 2/6/2017 at 8:08 AM, Morgan of Hed said:

I'm not so sure why she has such a problem with someone killing themselves using a gun or whatever other means.  Same result, just messier, no?

I wondered as well, but I think maybe it's to do with allowing them their dignity instead of forcing them into a violent/messy act that - for some - is a sin and can have serious repercussions for families. It fits well with her compassion and belief that people should have the ultimate and final right to decide (hence them taking the drink instead of her injecting it).

I am loving the show and I'm sad to hear it's only a short-term thing. I loved Caroline Dhavernas in Wonderfalls as well, and hope to see her on tv more frequently. 

• Love 1

The show is really awesome.
I am not a fan of the cop, though. He is a nice eye candy but frankly... somewhat boring.
And to be honest, it looks a lot like they WANT to project something onto Mary which is VERY obviously untrue, to the point that the cops look over the top bad guys and idiots.
I am willing to bet she has nothing to do with the death of the boy for which the whole issue has started. :)

Edited by Eneya
typos

This weeks episode seemed to clarify that she was involved with the boy's death. There was also the matter of her mother, which was hinted at earlier. I am interested to see how many of the plots they wrap up in 2 hours and still leave it open for a 2nd season. 

In the series premiere, an ER doctor who secretly helps terminally ill patients end their lives faces numerous obstacles after the assisted death of a famous football player goes awry. Meanwhile, her ex-husband introduces her to his new girlfriend.

Originally aired in Canada; US debut 4/23/2017.

• Love 1

I liked it. It's dark and creepy and funny and sad and weird, and the opening scene was a doozy. I've got a fondness for Caroline Dhavernas from the Fuller-verse, especially Hannibal. I'll keep watching.

• Love 2

It was different than what I expected, but I enjoyed it. Based on the commercials, I thought Mary was a hired assassin. But I like her as a physician who performs assisted suicides. 

That stupid kid. Her daughter's friend. I knew she would end up causing trouble for Mary. 

Looking forward to next week. 

• Love 4

I watched a 2 minute preview (it was the opening scene --Troy) which piqued my interest, enjoyed the series premier, and now I'm in for the season (assuming the great acting and writing hold steady).

I agree that the opener with Troy was awesome. There was a touch of dark humor, but it also did a good job of touching on the reasons people choose and the "bitter-sweetness" of assisted-suicide, all without being heavy-handed. Troy's single tear spoke volumes. 

I pegged Joel for a cop the minute he opened the door! When they started having sex, I thought, "maybe I was wrong after all", but nope. That it's the series opener and law enforcement is already on to them is pretty interesting-- usually there's a build-up as part of the storyline.

I'm ready for the next episode and definitely looking forward to seeing more! 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Scorpiosunshine said:

I pegged Joel for a cop the minute he opened the door! When they started having sex, I thought, "maybe I was wrong after all", but nope. That it's the series opener and law enforcement is already on to them is pretty interesting-- usually there's a build-up as part of the storyline.

There's only 6 episodes, no time to fuck around.  Except when she's fucking around with Joel of course....

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Scorpiosunshine said:

Lol! ;)

Thanks, Morgan! I didn't realize there's only 6 episodes. 

Yeah, we had 2 great dramas released in Canada this year, both only 6 episodes (Cardinal was the other one).  It really tightens things up compared to the more common 13 episode story arcs we see on Netflix these days, and of course it is almost impossible to sustain any tension over a full-season run of 22 or 24 episodes.

• Love 1

I'm surprised the cops are on to her already but now that I see it's only 6 episodes I understand why. It does make me wonder if this is a one shot or if there's a potential for a season 2.

I like what I've seen so far and if the writing and acting holds I'm going to really enjoy this.

I wish more series would give themselves a finite episode limit and story arc. If you have another great story arc after great but if not you've done something much more interesting than most tv shows.

• Love 1

I thought the imagery of the unconscious girl on the stretcher in her toe shoes and tulle was lovely and disturbing. Also disturbing were the tears streaking Troy's face in the opening scene. I almost thought this would be too dark and sad to watch, so the bit of farcical humor that followed it was welcome.

• Love 2

This looks like a single season series with potential for more.  Honestly I like Lifetime movies and the idea of a Doctor killing her terminally ill patients caught between a drug dealer who wants her to expand her "client list" and the police who aren't that far off her trail is an interesting one.  Since it looks like it is only a few episodes I am definitely in for the season.  

• Love 3

I'm sticking with this show, because it's fast and fun and weird and well acted, but I hate the whole cat subplot. As soon as I saw Des's wide open windows last week, I said 'damn, close those things; the cat's gonna just sail right out' and sure enuf. I know I probably have the wrong priorities when it comes to a show about killing terminally ill folks, but the cavalier attitude about the cat disturbed me. I half expect it to come strolling up to the house and shocking the girls, who Mary just told about the cat's death. I'd hope so, but I also hope if the poor thing DID live, it finds better people to live with.

• Love 5

Though I headed that Des got shot , I liked that the show treated it realistically. Being grazed is still being shot, and I'm sure it hurts.

dont like the ex-husband subplot. Why do tv ex-husbands always have to be dicks?

I was actually scar d for !ary when she had to go to the drug dealer's place 

7 hours ago, topanga said:

dont like the ex-husband subplot. Why do tv ex-husbands always have to be dicks?

Because if they weren't, we'd wonder what the hell's wrong with the ex-wife; why'd she leave this cool guy?

And we'd be shipping her with him.

• Love 2

Funny how this is described as "black comedy" when it's Canadian, and "drama" here in the U.S.

Proof Naomi is an idiot: thinking Che was a hero to the downtrodden.  Or maybe she DID mean the Mexican Che, after all.

(edited)
19 hours ago, backformore said:

I must have missed something from the first episode. What's the deal about the daughter's cat?  Mary is lying about the cat being dead? But why?

Mary told her daughter the drugs were to put the cat down because it had cancer. Apparently that requires a whole case.  She didn't have the heart to actually put the cat down. 

Edited by Morgan of Hed
  • Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:18 PM, Morgan of Hed said:

Mary told her daughter the drugs were to put the cat down because it had cancer. Apparently that requires a whole case.  She didn't have the heart to actually put the cat down. 

But it's apparently dead anyway. Probably. Tho I keep thinking it's going to show up again somewhere, strolling back up to the house, so Mary will have some more 'splaining to do.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this ep, but Ben/Joel confuses me. I believe he really wants to send Mary to jail, but he definitely has feelings for her, too.

What a revelation when Mary said she actually enjoys killing people. 

It seems like she and her sister both killed their mother. 

• Love 1

I liked Mary's cleverness with the finale plot, but overall I just didn't like this show as much as I hoped/thought I would. Not sure I'll be back if it gets an S2.

• Love 1

I liked it. I'd watch a season 2, if there is one. I wasn't familiar with the actress playing her sister, but I find her riveting, and I want to know more of their collective backstory and history. I was surprised by Mary's very well thought out scheme to frame the drug dealer....I was a little sorry to see him go, tho.

Patting myself on the back for predicting the cat would reappear back home, tho I wish he'd not wasted all the time and kitty footwork to get back to them. He deserved better.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I wasn't familiar with the actress playing her sister, but I find her riveting, and I want to know more of their collective backstory and history.

If you liked her sister, she was also on Mary Kills People producer Taissie Cameron's previous show Rookie Blue, which I'd highly recommend. She played an awesome prickly character until they totally ruined her/turned her into someone else entirely for the final season. 

• Love 2