Type keyword(s) to search

The New Edition Story (2017) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Dee said:

If all 6 members of NE are committing to an album and a tour, Bobby and Johnny have got to get in a gym soon.

They both are still capable performers, vocally, but they get easily winded on even the slightest dance routines over the past couple of years.

• Love 2

During the closing credits they showed everybody with their families, but I missed what they showed for Bobby, did anybody notice what picture they used?

Bobby was pictured with his wife Alicia and their 2 (3?) children.  Bobby has 6 or 7 children (including Bobbi Kristina).

I'm not sure that the movie really needed to have a larger role (or any role) for the Whitney Houston character beyond a couple of mentions. The only wives that got more than a couple of lines were

• Ralph's wife "Zena" (real name Shelley) -- because she had been with him from when they were children
  • Ricky's wife Amy -- because of his money & drug problems
  • Ronnie's wife Shamari --because of wedding concerns & she was the bride of the wedding that brought them all back together

Longer, more in depth scenes of Whitney don't explain Bobby because Bobby was crazy before Whitney entered the picture and Bobby was already out of New Edition by the time Whitney came along.

Ralph may not have wanted to share his truth but I've heard that there's some kind of agreement between Ralph & his first wife "Zena" not to discuss any of that out of respect for her and their children.

I think the movie showed Ronnie's wedding and not Ricky/Ralph's because the BET guy suggested to Uncle Brooke at the wedding to get all 6 of them together for the BET 25th anniversary special, which was the last performance we saw.

Sherry Carter always irritated me.  "Sherry Carter" in the movie did the same.

Shout out to the Cheryl Song, Big Louie & Al B Sure! cameos.

There is no bobby in the 90s without Whitney.

Bobby was a huge star in the late 80s BEFORE Whitney; Whitney didn't make Bobby Brown. Since the story is about New Edition and not Bobby Brown (who wasn't even in New Edition when he got with Whitney), the quick mention of Whitney was appropriate. 

However, the third part of the miniseries is by far the weakest because it skips huge portions of NE's story, individually & collectively, in a rush to get to the series denouement. The only member of NE that gets somewhat of a character arc, in the third section, is Ricky; largely because Ricky Bell felt compelled to include his real life struggles with addiction in the film. 

Yes, and that's the only reason his wife was given lines ...to show he was going through brokeness & drug addiction on the low.  Otherwise she would've been given a "Hey gurl" type lines in the wedding scenes like Mike's girlfriend & Ralph's 2nd wife were given.

Edited by drivethroo
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, drivethroo said:

Bobby was pictured with his wife Alicia and their 2 (3?) children.  Bobby has 6 or 7 children (including Bobbi Kristina).

I'm not sure that the movie really needed to have a larger role (or any role) for the Whitney Houston character beyond a couple of mentions. The only wives that got more than a couple of lines were

• Ralph's wife "Zena" (real name Shelley) -- because she had been with him from when they were children
  • Ricky's wife Amy -- because of his money & drug problems
  • Ronnie's wife Shamari --because of wedding concerns & she was the bride of the wedding that brought them all back together

Longer, more in depth scenes of Whitney don't explain Bobby because Bobby was crazy before Whitney entered the picture and Bobby was already out of New Edition by the time Whitney came along.

Ralph may not have wanted to share his truth but I've heard that there's some kind of agreement between Ralph & his first wife "Zena" not to discuss any of that out of respect for her and their children.

I think the movie showed Ronnie's wedding and not Ricky/Ralph's because the BET guy suggested to Uncle Brooke at the wedding to get all 6 of them together for the BET 25th anniversary special, which was the last performance we saw.

Sherry Carter always irritated me.  "Sherry Carter" in the movie did the same.

Shout out to the Cheryl Song, Big Louie & Al B Sure! cameos.

There is no bobby in the 90s without Whitney. There is a lot to talk about with Whitney during that time but not the other way around. She's not just some other wife. It's Whitney Houston. That's why it stuck out to me. Not even complaining. Just something I noticed. We saw a progression of how issues affected their personal lives in the 90s with little snippets but not as much with Bobby. On a personal level anyway. But, it's minor quibble. 

• Love 3

The third part of the miniseries largely skips over the part of Bobby's life where he & Whitney get together; they dated and eventually marry during the period between NE's Heartbreak & Home Again albums.

Since the miniseries only refers to that particular period in a throwaway line and gives a slight nod to B/W's marriage in a later scene, their relationship was pretty fairly dealt with, in the context of NE imo.

However, the third part of the miniseries is by far the weakest because it skips huge portions of NE's story, individually & collectively, in a rush to get to the series denouement. The only member of NE that gets somewhat of a character arc, in the third section, is Ricky; largely because Ricky Bell felt compelled to include his real life struggles with addiction in the film. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dee said:

The third part of the miniseries largely skips over the part of Bobby's life where he & Whitney get together; they dated and eventually marry during the period between NE's Heartbreak & Home Again albums.

Since the miniseries only refers to that particular period in a throwaway line and gives a slight nod to B/W's marriage in a later scene, their relationship was pretty fairly dealt with, in the context of NE imo.

During BBD's Unsung, the 3 of them pretty much agreed that yes, Bobby was crazy before he met Whitney, but Whitney contributed a lot in dragging him down further.

• Love 1
On 2/3/2017 at 1:46 PM, luckyroll3 said:

Empire was Bryshere's first acting job, so he really has come a long way in 3 years.

He really has! 

As for the older version of the group, everything was fine until they got to "Poison"

Poison is probably my favourite post NE song (and there was a lot to choose from!) so to see THIS version was...uh...yeah, horrible. (At least we avoided them redoing Do Me!) 

There is a lot to talk about with Whitney during that time but not the other way around. She's not just some other wife. It's Whitney Houston. That's why it stuck out to me. Not even complaining.  Just something I noticed. We saw a progression of how issues affected their personal lives in the 90s with little snippets but not as much with Bobby.

I had already mentioned this before with Whitney/Bobby in the tabloids constantly especially during the Bodyguard era, his numerous arrests, and their Bravo reality show, I can see even Bobby saying "I think people know what my life has been like since New Edition, I don't there is anything more to repeat here."  It seems a lot of people on social media were surprised or even shocked about Ricky's revelation.  Had it been Bobby the more likely reaction is "Well we already knew that."

Side note: I didn't know Yvette Nicole Brown was in it, which made me happy!

Edit: I was googling Ralph's old stuff and turns out he's a DJ for a Boston station now.  http://thebassradio.com/ I may tune in during the week to check it out. 

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, mtlchick said:

He really has! 

Poison is probably my favourite post NE song (and there was a lot to choose from!) so to see THIS version was...uh...yeah, horrible. (At least we avoided them redoing Do Me!) 

I had already mentioned this before with Whitney/Bobby in the tabloids constantly especially during the Bodyguard era, his numerous arrests, and their Bravo reality show, I can see even Bobby saying "I think people know what my life has been like since New Edition, I don't there is anything more to repeat here."  It seems a lot of people on social media were surprised or even shocked about Ricky's revelation.  Had it been Bobby the more likely reaction is "Well we already knew that."

Side note: I didn't know Yvette Nicole Brown was in it, which made me happy!

Edit: I was googling Ralph's old stuff and turns out he's a DJ for a Boston station now.  http://thebassradio.com/ I may tune in during the week to check it out. 

And you don't do biopics for the surprise. It's their Bobby and Whitney is part of his and by proxy their story. Again, it's honestly not a big deal, it's just something I noticed. A lot in that time frame got skipped over before and after the mid 90s tour in the series. It's fine. It's not even the fact that she wasn't there, it's also the fact that she was barely mentioned. I was just wondering if there was an actual legal or ethical reason. I dont think its just a case of been there done that all. Especially coming from Bobby's perspective on things. But, Bobby pre-whitney justifiably took Center stage because it's not talked about as much.

I know that this movie or series was first talked about all the way back in 1990 and it shows. It honestly could have ended right around the can you stand the rain performance. It's a bit rushed after that but hey, it was a lot to cover and their lives in the 80s took the Lions share of the focus.

17 hours ago, Ohwell said:

After New Edition broke up, I liked Bobby Brown's music, Johnny Gill's, and Ralph Tresvant's Sensitivity (that's all I remember from him).  However, I never liked Bell Biv Devoe.

BBD was definitely the raunchiest.  It's interesting that Bobby was the bad boy whose personal life was a hot mess, yet his most popular, best-selling album wasn't low-key shady or degrading towards women.  

• Love 1

Bobby used to gyrate on the stage more than the other guys (I did laugh a little when even Young Bobby was doing it in the biopic), but his music was surprisingly romantic, as opposed to raunchy.   BBD, on the other hand, I just couldn't get into.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Poison was a BBD song, not a NE song,

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Bobby used to gyrate on the stage more than the other guys (I did laugh a little when even Young Bobby was doing it in the biopic), but his music was surprisingly romantic, as opposed to raunchy.   BBD, on the other hand, I just couldn't get into.

Agreed - I was referring to their lyrics vs dancing.  Bobby was definitely the raunchiest on stage - he loved his hip thrusts, ha!

• Love 2

Rumor has it that Bobby has a solo film still in the works which is probably why the miniseries didn't delve too deep into The Kang Of R&B's legendary 'extracurricular activities.' 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Didn't he slam Babyface back in the day for writing sappy romantic shit and he wanted to go raunchier?  Kind of funny he did that with his next album and it largely tanked.  Humpin' Around is a great song...but it was mostly forgotten.

• Love 2

I think with all that went down with Whitney & Bobby Kristina that the Houston family would have tried to block bobby from mentioning them in the movie. It wasn't about her anyway. The movie proved Bobby was doing drugs before Whitney and it was about the 6 members of NE they are the main story. Bobby and Whitney prove what happens when two addicts get together nothing good can com from it.

• Love 1
On 2/6/2017 at 0:04 PM, Ohwell said:

I forgot about Humpin' Around, but that was probably as raunchy as he got.  

We can't forget "Good Enough" or at least I thought it was raunchy when I was a kid. 

• Love 1

The Kang Of R&B's

Whenever I hear this - I think of Chris Rock's assessment. Bobby Brown is the King of R&B - ribs and barbeque.

Ralph T will always have a place in my heart.  His loyalty hurt him - but he can at least say, he did the right thing for the whole. 

Was never a Bobby fan - but "Every Little Step" is a an OG jam.

I hope the new bio piece still has some NE parts.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

Yeah I considered it but decided it wasn't worth it. I would only be going for My Prerogative and Roni.

I watched it (don't look at me like that) and they actually played the full songs for both, I think with the full video for My Prerogative. The woman cast as his wife looks more like Cissy Houston than Whitney Houston.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I watched it (don't look at me like that) and they actually played the full songs for both, I think with the full video for My Prerogative. The woman cast as his wife looks more like Cissy Houston than Whitney Houston.

Isn't that Durwin's baby momma? The Game seems like a lifetime ago.

Not sure why, but this didn't grab me like I thought it would. And I'm no prude, but I was pretty surprised at the sex scenes from BET.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

Isn't that Durwin's baby momma? The Game seems like a lifetime ago.

Not sure why, but this didn't grab me like I thought it would. And I'm no prude, but I was pretty surprised at the sex scenes from BET.

I kind of thought they were almost implying that BB was a sex addict, which I guess is not that surprising. I was surprised that he was Janet Jackson's side dick. The Whitney/not Whitney was really disappointing.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I kind of thought they were almost implying that BB was a sex addict, which I guess is not that surprising. I was surprised that he was Janet Jackson's side dick. The Whitney/not Whitney was really disappointing.

My mind is still reeling from that. Not that this is 100% proof of anything, but someone dug up this old photo, which does add a bit of fuel on the fire. On Twitter, some people were saying there was a cut scene where Bobby threw a naked Janet out of a hotel room.

That was supposed to be Kevin Costner? No... just, no.

It's difficult to believe that Bobby didn't find out Whitney did coke until the day of their wedding.

Young Bobby was probably too old to pull off 10 (I was happy to see the actor again), but I'm disappointed at the lack of the cocaine-fried chicken story.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Popples said:

12 hours ago, qtpye said:

My mind is still reeling from that. Not that this is 100% proof of anything, but someone dug up this old photo, which does add a bit of fuel on the fire. On Twitter, some people were saying there was a cut scene where Bobby threw a naked Janet out of a hotel room.

This was something he included in his memoir. They most likely cut it out, especially as that scene of them arguing in bed ended quite abruptly.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Popples said:

That was supposed to be Kevin Costner? No... just, no.

It's difficult to believe that Bobby didn't find out Whitney did coke until the day of their wedding.

Young Bobby was probably too old to pull off 10 (I was happy to see the actor again), but I'm disappointed at the lack of the cocaine-fried chicken story.

Yeah, I did not believe that either. I think I think that was just to say that he did not know about the drugs until it was too late for him to back out and he just was not that new. I loved Whitney in her prime and there could not have been two people worse for each other and I am sure there was plenty of fault on both sides. I do think Whitney was addicted to Bobby and needed him to be her partner in addiction. However, Bobby was far from a perfect husband even in the best circumstances.

Okay, I looked up kicking naked Janet out of a hotel room and supposedly, it was because she said her father would not let her date a black man....da fuq? It was probably more like her father did not want her dating Bobby Brown because he deservedly had a pretty bad reputation.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 5

I've only seen part 1 so far, but a couple of questions:

Why was Heather Locklear handing out awards at the Soul Train Awards?'

Has the actress playing Janet actually seen any videos of Janet?  If it wasn't for the earring, I wouldn't have known who she was trying to portray.  Also, the hair was all wrong for that time period and maybe it's just me, but I don't know if I believe Janet would actually use the word "tight" to describe anything other than clothes (were people even using that back in 89??).  

Why was Robin always around?  And why did Bobby wait until he kicked her out to ask?  I've seen the promos for the recent Whitney documentary, so I know, but they kind of tip-toed around it here.   

Who was Kim's new boyfriend/husband that the son also called Daddy and what set was he on.  Is he an actor?

• Love 3

I watched both episodes and really liked it.  I totally have Sly and the Family Stone's song in my head, and will be playing it nonstop for a while.  I watched from Canada and have a question about the commercials.  During the (many) commercial breaks, all I saw were the same 5 ads for other BET shows. For those watching it in the US, did you have actual commercials?  I got to the point that I could recite the BET ads verbatim.

5 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

I've only seen part 1 so far, but a couple of questions:

Why was Heather Locklear handing out awards at the Soul Train Awards?'

Has the actress playing Janet actually seen any videos of Janet?  If it wasn't for the earring, I wouldn't have known who she was trying to portray.  Also, the hair was all wrong for that time period and maybe it's just me, but I don't know if I believe Janet would actually use the word "tight" to describe anything other than clothes (were people even using that back in 89??).  

Why was Robin always around?  And why did Bobby wait until he kicked her out to ask?  I've seen the promos for the recent Whitney documentary, so I know, but they kind of tip-toed around it here.   

Who was Kim's new boyfriend/husband that the son also called Daddy and what set was he on.  Is he an actor?

I think most people know why Robyn was around. You’re right about it being tip toed around though. With everything else shown I don’t know why they didn’t put that out there. 

Was that Kim? I think it was Melika, Landon’s  (the oldest) mother.  She’s married to a Carl Payne,”Cole” from Martin.   

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Bwill3133 said:

Was that Kim? I think it was Melika, Landon’s  (the oldest) mother.  She’s married to a Carl Payne,”Cole” from Martin.   

Ah, ok.  Thank you.  I couldn't tell Kim and Melika apart after awhile.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, hula-la said:

I watched both episodes and really liked it.  I totally have Sly and the Family Stone's song in my head, and will be playing it nonstop for a while.  I watched from Canada and have a question about the commercials.  During the (many) commercial breaks, all I saw were the same 5 ads for other BET shows. For those watching it in the US, did you have actual commercials?  I got to the point that I could recite the BET ads verbatim.

Yes, we had pretty much the same commercial breaks in the States, and they were LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. Normally when I watch a show that goes off that late (11:30 EST), I hurry and try to do all of my evening ablutions before hand, but I flossed and brushed my teeth during the first break and still had like a minute to spare before it came back. I wish they had kept in the cut material and done 3 two-hour episodes.

• Love 3

I started watching The Bobby Brown story, but realized I was bored so I deleted it. 

I didn't like it at all. Didn't feel authentic - completely different feeling from what I got watching The New Edition Story.  Either that, or Bobby Brown is just an unlikable person. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, chabelisaywow said:

I didn't like it at all. Didn't feel authentic - completely different feeling from what I got watching The New Edition Story.  Either that, or Bobby Brown is just an unlikable person. 

Bingo

• Love 1

I’m watching now. Meaning “The Bobby Brown Story”. 

On 9/6/2018 at 7:18 AM, qtpye said:

I loved Whitney in her prime and there could not have been two people worse for each other and I am sure there was plenty of fault on both sides. I do think Whitney was addicted to Bobby and needed him to be her partner in addiction. However, Bobby was far from a perfect husband even in the best circumstances.

Yes. Like tends to attract like and they were both bad for each other. 

• Love 2

I enjoyed it, but glad I tivo-ed because BET always has 10 minute commercial breaks!

Casting was weird, though they nailed Bobbi Kristina.  In pretty much every scene she appeared in I had to orient myself to the actress playing Whitney -- ok, that's Whitney, I guess.  However, she absolutely NAILED the Whitney of Being Bobby Brown -- the dance with the sunglasses!  That must have been her audition scene which got her the part because she bore little to no resemblance to her the rest of the time.   

Robin must be on the record that she will sue anybody who does more than hint at her relationship with Whitney.  And possibly she holds more secrets than anybody and will use them if provoked. 

I'm slightly too old to be a NE/Bobby fan, but I actually came to like him quite a bit from seeing him on some reality shows (the Country version of Surreal Life, and the celebrity weight loss show).  He seems essentially good natured/good hearted, though whether he's always been so, I couldn't say. 

I haven't heard any comments from the Houston family about this, but Bobby's sister apparently went nuts on Facebook denouncing his wife and saying the claims that she embraced the family are damn lies.  Sounds like she pulled him away from the Boston family (whether this is for the best or not, I don't know). Latest wife definitely had her hand in her good edit, no doubt.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, kassa said:

I enjoyed it, but glad I tivo-ed because BET always has 10 minute commercial breaks!

Casting was weird, though they nailed Bobbi Kristina.  In pretty much every scene she appeared in I had to orient myself to the actress playing Whitney -- ok, that's Whitney, I guess.  However, she absolutely NAILED the Whitney of Being Bobby Brown -- the dance with the sunglasses!  That must have been her audition scene which got her the part because she bore little to no resemblance to her the rest of the time.   

Robin must be on the record that she will sue anybody who does more than hint at her relationship with Whitney.  And possibly she holds more secrets than anybody and will use them if provoked. 

I'm slightly too old to be a NE/Bobby fan, but I actually came to like him quite a bit from seeing him on some reality shows (the Country version of Surreal Life, and the celebrity weight loss show).  He seems essentially good natured/good hearted, though whether he's always been so, I couldn't say. 

I haven't heard any comments from the Houston family about this, but Bobby's sister apparently went nuts on Facebook denouncing his wife and saying the claims that she embraced the family are damn lies.  Sounds like she pulled him away from the Boston family (whether this is for the best or not, I don't know). Latest wife definitely had her hand in her good edit, no doubt.

I gotta say when I was watching the show, I was wondering why the hell this woman was embracing broke irresponsible Bobby Brown and his four children by three different mamas. I also appreciated that she said his sick parent could come to live with them( and it did not look like she had a giant home) I was like, dang this woman is a saint. Bobby now has six children (rip Bobbi Kris, you were the real tragedy of your parent's addiction) by three different women. I hope he is a better later life parent and has matured some since his earlier days.

• Love 1

Sister's rant in People Mag

“Bobby why did you let Alicia lie like that in that movie and say she welcomed your whole family into her life!!!???”

“And this bitch literally without a little exaggeration hates for absolutely no reason every single person that carries your blood!!!!??? Aaaaaaand she wouldn’t even allow you to give your own mother $17.00 dam dollars to pay for your mothers medicine she needed at the dam pharmacy?!” Brown Muhammad wrote.