Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E08: The Glamorous Life

3 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

(O.k. I've been stalling for 20 minutes before clicking "submit." I really do like all your comments & I don't want to inhibit folks from saying what they feel for fear of being "corrected." Reading people's honest opinions are why I check this website daily!)

You're not going to.  Most of us aren't easily offended and frankly, I know I appreciated the info.  Correct away!  Maybe Law is more fab than I thought! And I laughed for ages about the cornichon!  Normally I call my son the Gherkin, but I might have to change that!

• Love 1

I don't really have an issue with Drew's outburst. I get that he probably got fed up with Courtney, who seems to have an excuse at every panel. I agree that Ashley should be the host.

Loved the dress that Paige was wearing. I don't think I can afford a Phillip Plein dress though :(

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

Loved the dress that Paige was wearing. I don't think I can afford a Phillip Plein dress though :(

Can most of us?  That why we watch the show (among other things), to drool over the unaffordable designer clothes !  Plus, I can't see someone my age/weight/etc.  wearing some of these things, so I'll take jealousy for $500, Alex.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think Coryanne and Tatiana are totally beautiful.

Coryanne is beautiful, but she can't model to save her life.  Tatiana was much better served by her original hairstyle; it flattered the shape of her face and was much less generic than what they gave her.  (I still can't figure out why TPTB insist on taking girls with fabulous fros and giving them crap hairstyles instead.)  Her walk is killer, but so far, I've found she doesn't come across as well in pictures as she does on the walkway.

I thought Coryanne's photo this week was, well, weak.  Tatiana's was good, but I'd have given either India or Cody first call out.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Um.

How do I say this delicately?

sourpickles, my little cornichon?

absolutqt, you cutie!

HunterHunted, so liked.

Jobiska, so wise.

Darlings----***IT'S A WIG!!!***

Well damn, NowVoyager.  Do you pop into the local kindergarten class to spill the beans about Santa?!

I kid, I kid.  This revelation cracked me up and I'm glad I wasn't the only one fooled.  

I find myself laughing at how much I quote Tyra in my head watching these new shows.  Clearly we all are well versed in the arts of "resting on pretty, tooching and smizing." Have some of these bitches never seen the Tyra years??  They can't even be bothered to watch the occasional mini-marathon on Oxygen???  I wanted to scream at Coryanne, " Where's the tension in your pose??!  You need to push!" 

I like the new format but I will be thoroughly entertained if they incorporate some of the random Tyra insanity---models jumping onto moving conveyor belts or merry-go-rounds, pendulums knocking girls off runways and, my personal favorite, roaches as jewelry! Ahhh...the good ole days!  

• Love 5

Courtney arrived on set for the photoshoot, did her pose and then was ready to leave without even aknowledging Jason Derulo (he called her on it at the end of the photoshoot as she was leaving). I agree that he was not the most amazing photo partner ever, but that was very unprofessional (and, from a simple human relations point of view, very rude).

• Love 10
30 minutes ago, Sarnia said:

Courtney arrived on set for the photoshoot, did her pose and then was ready to leave without even aknowledging Jason Derulo (he called her on it at the end of the photoshoot as she was leaving). I agree that he was not the most amazing photo partner ever, but that was very unprofessional (and, from a simple human relations point of view, very rude).

She didn't even seem to acknowledge his presence. He was a prop like  a chair or a car rather than a person. Contrasted with India's very pointed acknowledgement of him when their shoot was over it was quite glaring. I did like Jason kind of calling her out with his "hi bye" thing though. lol It was like she suddenly realized he was a real boy and not just a mannequin. I'm going to be nice and assume she was just very stuck in her head about how crappily she just did and that's why she was so cold but she's got to realize that in this business, connections are everything. And if this were a real shoot she'd have lost connections from him (where I think if he had another shoot coming he might request someone like India be called in, he won't be requesting Courtney) and the photographer and director who both watched that exchange.

I think Courtney is socially awkward (not in a medically certifiable way, just in a shitty upbringing way) and doesn't know how to interact. I get it because I am like that. Which is why I did not pursue a career in which socializing and connections are a huge part of getting ahead. I wish I thought putting herself in this environment would lead to growth for her, but so far she is stuck in her self destructive ways.

• Love 8

I dislike Marissa as much as the next poster but her comment about how she didn't mind if Jason Derulo got a peek of her boob made me laugh.

Another thing and made me laugh? CoryAnne's over the TOP reaction to Courtney's story. Like, I was cackling so hard. She was like "OMG COURTNEY" and Courtney was like "I'm fine, I didn't die".

I don't dislike Courtney and after her explanation (which only came up after CoryAnne asked her about it) makes some sense. Even in the beginning of the episode, I was starting to get why nobody liked her. Aside from the complaining, it is the way she says things, her delivery. She sounds really annoyed and is very direct, so I see why some people might get angry with her.

That being said, I was glad Drew went off. I didn't even think it was that bad, he was just telling her what would happen in a real photoshoot and he wasn't rude or anything, so I liked him going in on Courtney. In general I like the panel, even Rita although sadly , she doesn't contribute with anything really, so add me to the camp of wanting Ashley to take over as a host.

I still want Courtney to win (although I'm sure she's not going to... also, she looked really short next to Binta) but I wouldn't mind if Paige, Tatianna (although they're very pedestrian) or India  take it. I want to like Cody but I think she photographs old.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Tatiana was much better served by her original hairstyle; it flattered the shape of her face and was much less generic than what they gave her.  (I still can't figure out why TPTB insist on taking girls with fabulous fros and giving them crap hairstyles instead.) 

Because the belief is (and if viewing most model sites) that long, straight hair is more versatile and easier to style regardless of the model's ethnicity.  I also liked Tatiana's natural hair as well as CoryAnne's (CoryAnne's compcard photo in particular made her a favorite but agree, she seems clueless about modeling, at least on this show, as she is signed to two modeling agencies currently).

As for Law's "hair" I can buy that he's probably got access to very good lace-front wigs like most of his celebrity clientele.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

Because the belief is (and if viewing most model sites) that long, straight hair is more versatile and easier to style regardless of the model's ethnicity.  I also liked Tatiana's natural hair as well as CoryAnne's (CoryAnne's compcard photo in particular made her a favorite but agree, she seems clueless about modeling, at least on this show, as she is signed to two modeling agencies currently).

As for Law's "hair" I can buy that he's probably got access to very good lace-front wigs like most of his celebrity clientele.

That makes sense, from a business point of view, but it's damned sad.

• Love 3

One of the girls (I think it's Cody but I'm terrible with names)-- in all of her talking heads she had tons of bumps on her forehead. I just have trouble figuring out how that can be effectively covered up for photo shoots.

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

One of the girls (I think it's Cody but I'm terrible with names)-- in all of her talking heads she had tons of bumps on her forehead. I just have trouble figuring out how that can be effectively covered up for photo shoots.

Like anyone photographed nowadays...photoshop.  Although, for a working model, she still needs good skin regardless.  Some of the girls on their down time look to have been putting some sort of spot treatment on their faces.  However, this is one of those things that would be good covered in some sort of teach/instruction for model basics.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, milkyaqua said:

Some of the girls on their down time look to have been putting some sort of spot treatment on their faces. 

I wonder about that too-- I mean there's OXY10 and Clearasil and Proactive and such, but is there any real instant treatment for pimples that actually works? I'm far past my teens so maybe there's a magic formula these days.

• Love 1

What I think he meant was, if she's going to be a model, no one is going to hire her because all her excuses end up costing them money. I think the show is kind of sending a mixed message with all this "boss" crap because really a model is hired help. They are the sales person and they have to be "on" as soon as the photographer is ready.

I think the idea of the "instagram model" has messed with their heads as well. Some of these women come off as if they think all they have to do is be their fabulous selves. They just have to show up and go through the motions. This show will rocket them to stardom, they'll get lots of followers, and then they can sit back and wait for the offers to pour in. It doesn't seem to have occurred to some that they have to actually work at this. Or at least we haven't really seen much work.

Did Courtney really think "allergies" was going to fly with this panel after she's been told repeatedly to drop the excuses??  

I think Courtney is one of those people who complains so much, she doesn't even recognize it as complaining.  In her mind, she's just explaining the circumstances. She just doesn't get that in the real world, there's no panel to explain things to. No client will spend five minutes listening to her "reasons". Even if they are reasonable, which, taken individually, hers are.

I don't see how Courtney's bitching has actually cost money. It's annoying, but she ultimately gets a decent shot, right, because the camera loves her.

In this particular case, no it didn't cost ANTM anything. But real world clients aren't spending $$$ to get a "decent" shot. And that's all her shot was this week. Decent. If a company hires someone like Courtney and her performance is mediocre because of [insert excuse du jour], the photos aren't as impactful. So either they go with "ok" photos that don't drive the attention and revenue the way they want, or they pay to reshoot them. Both of those are real costs and will result in fewer and fewer bookings. Courtney's face isn't SO striking that she can't be replaced. Easily.

Binta makes a striking first impression, but her pictures were consistently weak.

The thing I found interesting about Binta is the complete disconnect between her impression of her performance and her actual performance. She just does not know how to give face, and worse, she doesn't seem to notice that she is completely expressionless in most of her photos. Every week in panel, they show her photo and reaction on her face does not say "oh that wasn't great." It's like she doesn't know it's no good until they tell her, and then she's surprised to hear it. If she can't recognize the flaws, it's no surprise she can't figure out how to fix it. She is someone who could really benefit from a mentor.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, dleighg said:

I wonder about that too-- I mean there's OXY10 and Clearasil and Proactive and such, but is there any real instant treatment for pimples that actually works? I'm far past my teens so maybe there's a magic formula these days.

Courtney looked like she had Dry Lo on - the peach/pink spots are distinctive.  The product is from Serious Skin Care, and has sulfur, camphor, and salicyclic acid.  It works fast but I find it drying.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Like anyone photographed nowadays...photoshop.  Although, for a working model, she still needs good skin regardless.  Some of the girls on their down time look to have been putting some sort of spot treatment on their faces.  However, this is one of those things that would be good covered in some sort of teach/instruction for model basics.

Exactly! I've thought from the start that the girls wear entirely too much makeup during their down time. I understand the pressure of wanting to look camera ready at all times, but that doesn't work for real, working models. The skin needs to breathe! You can apply all the spot treatments in the world, but the best thing is to simply scrub your face & apply a good moisturizer. (& get some sleep & drink plenty of water.)

• Love 1

One other thing different from the Tyra years:  Courtney's story would have all been a part of her audition and everyone would know about the poor little homeless girl with the metal rod in her back.  

On one hand, while I'm glad it wasn't the "who has a more pathetic story" audition, on the other hand, all of her excuses (which I agree with an earlier poster she thinks are just "explanations") drive me nuts, but considering her background, they kind of make sense.  She probably spent a good part of her life "explaining" things to teachers and principals and school counselors.  She just has to realize that she's now a grown up and she has to suck it up, at least while on the job.

• Love 4

Drew probably overdid, but this is a welcome departure from Tyra's pity cases. He's someone who actually hires models, has those connections, and - yes - can help do what he stated. That she refuses to get that major reality check must be frustrating.

That's also where, like others, I do have a problem with overdoing the "boss/brand" nonsense this season.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, RealityCowgirl said:

Drew probably overdid, but this is a welcome departure from Tyra's pity cases. He's someone who actually hires models, has those connections, and - yes - can help do what he stated. That she refuses to get that major reality check must be frustrating.

That's also where, like others, I do have a problem with overdoing the "boss/brand" nonsense this season.

She nods like she understands what he's saying, but I don't think she really has a clue.  I want to still like Courtney, but she really needs to learn to say "I'm sorry my performance was not good enough; I'll do better next time if I get through" and then zip it.  In the real world, her face would get her hired the first time, but her complaining would keep people from hiring her a second time.  Although, to her (very small) credit, at least she knows her performance wasn't good, unlike Binta who thinks she did great every time.  Binta has a great look but clearly has no idea what to do with it. 

• Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:15 PM, RealReality said:

This is the thing that makes me suspicious of Courtney's story.  I feel like people who have gone through a difficult childhood are generally very private about it, and its something you have to almost pry from them.  If you're telling the entire world (on national TV!) about your difficult childhood because you had some minor tiff with a girl.....and you sort of love attention.....I don't know.

Didn't CoryAnne ask Courtney about her childhood and that's why Courtney brought it up? Just watched the episode last night.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Didn't CoryAnne ask Courtney about her childhood and that's why Courtney brought it up? Just watched the episode last night.

I don't recall exactly how it came up but Coryanne said something and then Courtney said, and I paraphrase "let me tell you some things that might explain and help you understand why I am the way I am". 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, sourpickles said:

I don't recall exactly how it came up but Coryanne said something and then Courtney said, and I paraphrase "let me tell you some things that might explain and help you understand why I am the way I am". 

yeah, this is how I remember it too.

and I remember thinking it was odd, because the people I know who have had difficult childhoods are normally very slow to open up about it.  And it's never come out in narrative form before.  Its like you'll get a hint here and there, and maybe a story or two, and then a few more, and then maybe you get the full story. 

Which makes it suspicious to me.  I can't for sure say its not true of course, I just found it so different.

• Love 1

I have a feeling the producers had something (a lot) to do with the way Courtney spilled her whole story. I'm sure, behind the scene's they were picking away at her "America will hate you if they don't understand where you come from" "the girls won't stop attacking you until you tell them the whole story". Not that she doesn't use it as an excuse, but I don't think she just chose all by herself to tell her story that way. It really came across as "omg, if I just tell you will you all leave me alone"

• Love 3
On 1/31/2017 at 3:24 PM, RedheadZombie said:

I said earlier that India really reminds me of Natalie Dormer.  I still think that, but now something about her reminds me of Gigi Hadid.  I really like her.  Her eyes and mouth are so distinctive.

I also think she looks like Gigi Hadid, a person whose looks, I believe, are not model-material. India's (and Gigi's) face is too round and scrunched up and her eyes are too squinty. And her hair doesn't have the fullness or volume to pull off the purple color.

My faves are Paige and Tatiana. I also wouldn't mind if Courtney wins, if only to piss off everyone else.

• Love 1

Holy crap! The "luxury" fashion featured in this episode is tacky as hell. Everything looks like some cheesy Ed Hardy knockoffs!

Wasn't surprised Binta was eliminated. She did have the same facial expression in every photo and seemed to have lost herself in the competition by giving in to her rage and jealousy issues.

Wow Jason Derulo is a pretty big celebrity to feature in this low-budget mess, even though his music sucks. I did like India's and Tatianna's photos and think these 2 are the only ones that look like actual campaigns.

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 4
On 2/2/2017 at 5:11 AM, dleighg said:

Any face mask applied on a pimple which is just starting works for me. Instead of leaving it on the normal time, I keep it all night and rinse it of in the morning, when the pimple is barely visible. It's an old trick I found out ages ago in Cosmo :)