Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Memory Found

Cigale

Well, not surprised they did a clip show of Stiles memories to stretch out the lack of DOB availability, but thank goodness he's back next week.

Interesting that they picked a lot of Malia clips that show why their relationship wasn't great, but I'm also not a huge fan of Stydia. Sure, she stopped treating him like he was invisible, but she seemed to genuinely appreciate him as a friend/pack member. And same for him, which was welcome growth from worshipping her as a goddess. The strongest relationship on the show (other than father/son) is Stiles and Scott's brotherhood, and I'm disappointed the script threw that under the bus to push a romance. The CAT scan scene? The flare scene? C'mon. Yeah, they've had their issues, too, but there is so much more history and depth that is actually realized between them, not just idealized or potential.

Theo's conversion to self-sacrificing was also unearned. One save during a fight might make Theo and Liam a team (the both of them taking the elevator up to lead the chase to another floor?), but not inspire Theo to a suicide play. 

I'm just looking forward to next week. 

• Love 6

Ahisma, you said everything I was thinking.  I complained last week that I feel like Sciles is being sacrificed at the altar of Stydia and that sadly continued this week.  Why is the show insisting on acting like Lydia has a stronger connection to Stiles than Scott does.  She don't.  Hell, Malia got a stronger moment with Stiles than Scott did attempting to remember him.  Why?  I'm super bummed that we didn't get that moment of connection really explored between Scott and Stiles.  It's the last season of the show, we're not going to get another chance for it.

As for Thiam (I was going to type Theo and Liam and this is what came out lol) ...whatever.  I feel like the whole episode should have been about Scott remembering Stiles but I digress.  

I'm excited to see Stiles next week.  Hopefully they can keep Stydia to a manageable level. 

• Love 3

I really enjoyed this episode. I felt like it had a good balance between the packs, with the older pack having a nostalgic plot and the younger pack (well, Liam) doing action stuff. Plus, they were working together (Liam trying to buy the Senior Pack time so they could open a rift) instead of acting as two separate packs doing their own things.

I liked how they did the flashbacks, with Stiles "glitching" into the hallway as Scott remembered him sitting outside his bedroom as he changed, and Lydia being in the memory of her and Stiles in the locker room. ahisma, I totally agree, Scott and Stiles are the true love story to me so I've been disappointed with how they've been minimized in favor of Stiles/Lydia... it was extremely emotional to see Scott pull out that flare and remember that moment, but I disappointed that it didn't have any impact on the rift. He has so many memories of Stiles, to the point where it's overwhelming, but Lydia's the one who opens the rift and (presumably) gets Stiles back? Kind of feels like a slap in the face.

Considering how dire things were, I was surprised that there was humor in Liam's plot but I ended up enjoying it. Sheriff's disgusted sigh as he saw all the Ghost Riders, lol... at least he'll get to be with Stiles again. I don't understand why Theo was willing to sacrifice himself for Liam's sake either. Yes, Liam staying behind and fighting was heroic, and he saved Theo's life despite specifically stating that he wouldn't. But they've all been shitting on Theo since he got back so he shouldn't have been willing to save any of them. I get that they're redeeming him, and I'm interested in it, but that was a bit much.

The promos for next week look cool and I'm interested in seeing how they wrap this block up, especially with Stiles' character, considering Dylan O'Brien's schedule.

• Love 2

I did not necessarily read the opening of the rift as evidence that Lydia/Stiles connection was strongest.  I know the characters almost said as much.  But it seemed to me that the rift was opening with Scott but he couldn't stay in that frozen box forever.  They had to get him out before he died and it they just didn't have enough time for the rift to open.  Same with Malia.  But Lydia was under no such constraint.  She could complete the process of remembering Stiles without the threat of dying and thus the rift opened.

Edited by MV007
  • Love 4

Well, at least Noah gets to see his son again? 

I needed more of Scott/Stiles than what we were given. I don't know why Tyler Posey hasn't gotten much to do in this final season. He's barely been present, it seems. Malia should have been the first in the Hellhound Chamber, not Scott. His memories should have been last. That being said, Tyler really did well this episode with him remembering Stiles. He's really improved since season 1, and it shows with this clip show. I did enjoy watching Scott remember Stiles, and I appreciate that he did get the majority of the episode to remember. It's a small moment, but the memory of Scott remembering Stiles' voice message was an oddly strong moment, with the "you miss[ed] me" echoing. I also love that they showed the flare moment because not only was that my favourite episode of the entire series, but it's my favourite moment of the entire series. 

He should have been the one to open the rift, not Lydia. Jeff Davis made a mistake in this episode with Stydia. I was willing to accept Stydia's growing relationship this season because it gave Lydia more to do. But minimizing Scott and Stiles' more important relationship for Stydia? Nah, I'll give it all back. I like Lydia's role this season, but not in terms of how important her relationship with Stiles supposedly is compared to Scott's. I will say, though, that Lydia passing Scott the script to read was smart; Tyler Posey does have a very soothing voice.

I think Liam being away from Hayden and the Junior Pack has helped some. Even if I don't like Theo, I thought his scenes with Liam were alright. It's too much, though, to see them redeeming Theo. I don't want him to be redeemed for the sole reason that I don't want more of him, I want less. I do get that they needed him in this episode, at least since they brought him back. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, MV007 said:

I did not necessarily read the opening of the rift as evidence that Lydia/Stiles connection was strongest.  I know the characters almost said as much.  But it seemed to me that the rift was opening with Scott but he couldn't stay in that frozen box forever.  They had to get him out before he died and it they just didn't have enough time for the rift to open.  Same with Malia.  But Lydia was under no such constraint.  She could complete the process of remembering Stiles without the threat of dying and thus the rift opened.

I agree. I also felt it was saying that Scott was overwhelmed by a lifetime of memories, most of which would have been about TV and computer games and school. Lydia realising she was in love with Stiles was a powerful emotional moment that the more complex memories Scott has couldn't compete with. Also, while this wasn't stated, Lydia was surrounded by people who had already had the emotional connection and I got the impression it was the combination of all three of them that did it. 

Liam is so much better when he's not with Hayden. She sucks the life out of everything. Theo is still a waste of space. So, he's gone I guess. Meh. The good news is, I think this was Teen Wolf: The Next Generation's attempt at creating another Peter. You know, the bad guy you bring in because you have no choice but don't completely trust.  The thought of a Season 7 with Liam, Hayden, Mason, Corey and Theo... so glad this is the final.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, AudienceofOne said:

I agree. I also felt it was saying that Scott was overwhelmed by a lifetime of memories, most of which would have been about TV and computer games and school. Lydia realising she was in love with Stiles was a powerful emotional moment that the more complex memories Scott has couldn't compete with. Also, while this wasn't stated, Lydia was surrounded by people who had already had the emotional connection and I got the impression it was the combination of all three of them that did it. 

Liam is so much better when he's not with Hayden. She sucks the life out of everything. Theo is still a waste of space. So, he's gone I guess. Meh. The good news is, I think this was Teen Wolf: The Next Generation's attempt at creating another Peter. You know, the bad guy you bring in because you have no choice but don't completely trust.  The thought of a Season 7 with Liam, Hayden, Mason, Corey and Theo... so glad this is the final.

I really wish I felt this way because it makes sense, but I don't think the episode managed to have this come across well. It really did appear that Lydia was the only one capable of opening the rift. The one thing they could have done for the last shot to help is not have Scott//Malia lurking behind Lydia in the background as they looked at the rift. They should have had them all right beside each other to help indicate that all three of them opened the rift, not just Lydia. It's just a simple camera technique that could have helped.

Also, why didn't they just use that candle method on Scott/Malia in the first place? 

But yes to the Liam point. Also, nobody can be another Peter. I like Peter, so I'm biased. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, why didn't they just use that candle method on Scott/Malia in the first place? 

I have found questions like this are best left unasked for this show.  I just accepted this crap because I enjoy the show.  If I spend time thinking about the ridiculousness of extreme cold causing these two to focus on their memories and be hypnotized, well I wouldn't be watching the show much longer.

Edited by MV007
  • Love 5

Yeah it was a clip show but dammit it was good just because it's Stiles (Dylan makes everything better). The scene with Scott pulling out the flare and remembering was awesome but they should've also shown the clip when Stiles was getting a MRI (before we found out later that he was just possessed (with is still my favorite TW story ever)). Scott showing how much he loved Stiles by saying he was going to do anything to save him even if it meant he had to bite him was a real bromance moment for me.

Next episode better open with a Scott/Stiles hug with some teary eyes, that's all I'm sayin'

• Love 3

I like Stydia. I ship it, and I think Stiles appreciating her intelligence helped her character growth and her relationship with Stiles (along with the rest of the pack) helped her become a hero in her own right. But fucking no way in hell is their relationship stronger than Scott and Stiles. Hell no. They are the Cory and Shawn of the 21st century. They are brothers. They are amazing. They are one of my favorite friendships of all time and there is no romantic relationship on this melodramatic little show that can compare to the powerful bromance of Scott and Stiles.

I hate it when I realize I have strong feelings about this show.

Why couldn't it just have been her being the last one to see him + having unspoken love + her banshee powers doing stuff just because? Equally as plausible, doesn't downplay their relationship nor does it put it above Scott/Stiles.

23 minutes ago, madhacker said:

The scene with Scott pulling out the flare and remembering was awesome but they should've also shown the clip when Stiles was getting a MRI (before we found out later that he was just possessed (with is still my favorite TW story ever)). Scott showing how much he loved Stiles by saying he was going to do anything to save him even if it meant he had to bite him was a real bromance moment for me.

I did appreciate that they showed the hug from that scene at least. 

One thing I like this season is just how much we've seen Lydia and Scott together. They've never had that much time together, despite obviously caring for and trusting each other.

• Love 5

I really enjoyed this episode, well all but Theo. I wish the Sheriff could have stayed behind with Liam.

I, like some mentioned above, thought it was more Scott, Lydia and Malia all finally remembering Stiles that opened the rift, because if his father didn't do it, I don't think any one particular friend did. I kinda figured it was all the important people to Stiles finally remembering him, starting with his Dad starting the ripple and when everyone had their memories it was open. But maybe I interpreted wrong. 

The flare scene from Motel California is one of my favorite Scott and Stiles scenes and did like all their many flashbacks, made me miss the earlier seasons of the show. While they might not have ended the episode with Sciles they got the most time dedicated which I did appreciate. I did like Lydia's and Stiles flashbacks and Lydia's realization of feelings.  I thought that was well done. Also enjoyed Malia and Stiles too, they should have been having little flashbacks all season. 

For this show I was pleased. I watch episodes like this and I don't know why Scott, Malia and Lydia don't get more focus. I really don't care about pack 2.0 at all. 

• Love 1

At first I was seriously considering if these episodes are being shown in the wrong order because they already said last week that everybody else was gone and today the sheriff - and even Liam to some extent - treated this like news. I loved the sheriff’s attitude to Theo though. Shame he was the first one to go because I really didn’t care what happened to the other two.

For a bottle show it was really well done and the recycled scenes made me nostalgic for better days when it was the Stiles-and-Scott-Show. I wish they had reversed the order from Lydia to Malia to Scott instead of the other way round. I’ll have to overlook the ret-conning of the Stydia kiss because the show does this stuff all the time. That’s just Teen Wolf. They are notoriously bad at a) continuity and b) romantic relationships. I wouldn’t be watching it if I wasn’t able to ignore these things. So yes, it was one of my favourite episodes this season. Well, it had Stiles in it, so it would be.

So Liam and Theo can kill Ghost Riders now? With saws and gurneys? They didn’t seem to make much of a dent though. Do Ghost Riders replicate like coat hangers and odd socks? Why do the Ghost Riders have to take the elevator? Pretty mundane way to travel for what they can do, which made it (probably unintentionally) funny. Why the hell did Scott and Malia have to take their tops off to go into the machine? Is that little bit of cloth going to make all the difference? And why is Theo a werewolf again? Strange how getting taken by the Ghost Riders hasn’t made any emotional impact for a while now. There’s only so many people you can disappear into a puff of green smoke before it loses any meaning, especially since we know they’re all going to come back. Well, if they forget to bring back Hayden and also take Theo I wouldn’t complain.

• Love 1
On 26/01/2017 at 0:06 PM, beee said:

So Liam and Theo can kill Ghost Riders now? With saws and gurneys?

I thought they killed the Ghost Riders with their own guns but I could be wrong. They may have killed one of them another way as well.

I just find it so annoying that bubby wolf is taking out Ghost Riders left and right while Scott got his ass handed to him by one last week. #worstalphaever

Edited by AudienceofOne
'bobby' wolf didn't make much sense

What this clip show taught me is that Stiles is the real Alpha. And I agree the order should've been Lydia, Malia, Scott. I only tolerated Scott when he was with Stiles in the first season. This is their show. But I guess they are throwing the shippers a bone in the final season and pretending that Stiles and Lydia had this great will they/won't love. 

I'm getting some vibes from Malia and Scott that is kind of weird. 

I FF through Baby Wolf and character that shouldn't be around anymore so I don't know what happened there. They killed a Ghost Rider? Okay, show. Liam is still not happening. #sorrynotsorry. 

I too would have prefered it being Scott who opened the rift, but I can accept the idea that it took the four of them - Sheriff, Scott, Malia, & Lydia - to make it stable enough to get Stiles back.  But yeah, they do seem to be sacrificing Scott & Stiles for Stydia.  I'm okay with Stydia because I think they've both changed enough at this point that's it's not the Nice Guy waits the Girl out.  They care and respect each other enough as people that adding romance to the relationship could work.  But my favorite relationships on this show are Stiles&Scott, Stiles&Sheriff, Scott&Melissa and in any combination that shows up.  I believe in the parental relationships and the friendship so much I'd watch an entire episode, hell season, of nothing but the four of them, separately, together, whatever, just doing everyday normal things - cleaning the house, paying bills, cooking, watching baseball games, playing video games - and be perfectly content.

As for Theo's sacrifice at the end, it started to bug me, but I realized Theo's been getting his heart ripped out by his sister for however long he's been undergound.  Okay, she's taking her heart back, but the end result is the same.  That has to have some effect on him, so it wasn't just for Liam or the others. That's my take on it anyway.

• Love 2

Another really good episode from Tyler Posey, especially since it highlighted how far he's come as an actor.

Every series does a clip show to save money, but I think the way they integrated it into the episode was a nice touch.  I just wish it hadn't been, ultimately, about fanservice for the shippers.