Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Who Are You?

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Oliver worries that Prometheus is right and he is truly a killer at heart, so he looks for a ray of hope and finds it in what seems to be the miraculous return of Laurel Lance. However, Felicity, still reeling from Detective Malone's murder, is bent on revenge and wants to stop Prometheus at any cost. Meanwhile, Diggle fights for his life in prison.

I liked that episode apart from the multiple times that Oliver was so incredibly stupid about Laurel. And the plotty plot pretzel mess they had to twist themselves into in order to make this episode possible. Didn't feel like the episode right after someone was murdered mood-wise, either. Typical Arrow!

• Love 8

Man, Oliver is just going to be the rebound for all the al Ghuls, except for Nyssa.

Nice to see the team allowed Laurel's statue to be destroyed.  They could have sedated Black Siren right away, but nope.  Smart move guys.

• Love 2

That was fun. Diggle didn't get a bullet to the head. We got to see (a) Laurel get taken down by Green Arrow's tech support and her sidekick. And speaking of, Curtis goes on the path to becoming the canon Mr. Terrific. Sure, Prometheus is still at large and a huge pain in the ass, but hey. . . Black Canary statue? Shattered. Gotta take your wins where you can get them.

For those who don't watch The Flash . . . yes, the security at STAR Labs sucks that hard. Prometheus probably just rolled up to HR Wells and told him that he had to inspect the power supply. Also, the cells are never shown to have toilets. That might explain why "Laurel" was so damn cranky.

Okay . . . I get Talia showing up in the flashback. But there's a woman with a "canary cry" just like Sara and Laurel faked and Laurel-2 had? That's . . . convenient.

Seriously, why didn't we get a solid minute of our heroes shouting "WHAT???!?" after Siren attacked? Or "Mawp? Mawp?!?" I got that from Archer. Circle of life!

• Love 2

Ok, well that could have been worse, that's for sure. 

I did love that the Black Siren secret lasted all of ten minutes. It just confirmed to me that they only used the Laurel cliffhanger as just that, without any plans beyond. So when they used it up, they seemed to need a reason for it to be believable; hence, Black Siren working with Prometheus.

A lot of great Olicity moments that I enjoyed. I really enjoyed their talks; it made it feel a little more familiar between them. I like how Felicity was the pessimistic one, especially after what she's gone through. Oliver was naive, but I can't say that I blame him. Felicity spoke the truth to Black Siren, at least. But Oliver keeping BS at ARGUS "just in case there's a piece of Laurel in there"? Well, at least he didn't just let her go, but this seems like more of a bone for Laurel Lance/BC fans who are holding onto hope themselves. Even with Oliver blatantly stating that he's finding a new BC. It has to suck for those particular comics fans. 

So...this might have been the first episode where I liked Wild Dog. I know, I know. I've been a huge advocate against him, and now I didn't hate him one bit? Even if I think that they're trying too hard with him, I thought he was softer this episode. He also happened to say what we were all thinking (Curtis spending less time fighting and more time "tinkering"). 

Felicity was training on her own! She punched BS in the face with good reason! Also, as a Rory/Ragman fan, I am glad he actually got a scene with Felicity. I feel so bad that Rory doesn't seem to get any recognition on the show for how awesome he is. Now we learn he doesn't even sleep? And he still looks that good and well rested? Damn, those rags must do a number on him. What does he do at night when he doesn't sleep? Where does he go? These are more important questions than why Wild Dog is so sour, or why Curtis is choosing fighting over his husband. 

It seems like new BC is literally taking on the traits of the comics BC because the show screwed up once before. Reminder that Sara Lance also advocated for women's rights in her very first scene and look at how she was received by comics fans. Just a worry that this woman may not be received well either. 

So, we learn that Prometheus has a tolerance for diazepam? 

• Love 12

While I loved seeing my gurl Katie again! And she SLAYED as Black Siren, this episode was just ok. It was rushed as HELL and of course they just piss all over Laurel/Katie in the end. It doesn't surprise me at this point but I always try to give them the TINIEST bit of hope that they are competent and are good at their jobs but alas.

• Love 2

Oliver is such a tool. It is getting so hard to root for him. Felicity rocks.Diggle's story finally moving along and I didn't mind the DA. I didn't by Curtis being angry and on the plus side WD didn't annoy me as much. Double bonus no Susan.  I think I might like Tina - she came across bad ass without looking like she is  trying. Sorry to say but KC should have been a villain, that is something I could believe but as soon as she tried to be LL I couldn't stand her again.

• Love 2

A few quick thoughts: 

I am 100% here for the Felicity we got in this episode. Suspicious right from the start, giving the recruits orders, training, etc. Always listen to Overwatch. That should be the team motto. Oliver should maybe get that tattooed on his arm so he can look at it every day. 

That punch did not disappoint.

I can understand Oliver's POV about Earth-2 Laurel, but it's still stupid. I feel like the only reason they had him say he's keeping her close to find some part of Laurel in there is to make people think she might come back. By this logic, they should treat all the Harrison Wells characters they're bringing from different Earths in a similar way, but we haven't seen that.

I feel like the Oliver and Felicity conversations we saw tonight make a lot more sense than what we've seen thus far in S5 for two people who were engaged last year. Oliver was being a bit of a dick, but it could have been worse. And I think it's all part of the whole "Oliver's being optimistic" thing they have going on now, despite everything that just happened. 

Surprised "Laurel" asked about her father. Not surprised Thea just so happened to be out of town. Can only imagine Oliver going to visit Diggle again and going, "So, uh, about Laurel being alive... I was an idiot?"

Did Oliver describe Diggle as his "current friend" or did I mishear? Because that's just weird if so. I did like how Chase handled Diggle's case and the general, so there's that. (I have been vocal about wanting more Chase, and I'm glad we got that here.) 

I actually didn't hate Rene in this episode? And I felt bad for Curtis. I'm fine with him sticking to "tinkering" as long as it doesn't move into "and I'll also do all this stuff that Felicity could once do on her own like we got at times in 5A." 

Rory is still my favorite, and I love that he was the one to question how BS knew what she did. (But how does Prometheus know all this stuff? Explain that to me, show, please.) Also, I hope someone went to check on him after he was knocked out. Or maybe it was another Roy situation - they figured their names are similar enough. 

Is it just me or was Billy mentioned more in this episode than he was when he was alive? (I feel like that's to cue up Felicity's 5B arc.) 

And I get that they want to honor Laurel's dying wish (which wasn't even a dying wish and just plain weird), but all I got from what we saw of Tina is someone who has the canary cry and ... Why would she want to be the new Black Canary? Going off that last scene with Oliver and Felicity, it seems like their plan is: "Need a new Black Canary. Find a woman who can be that. Recruit her. Tell her she's the new Black Canary. And done." Lucky for them, someone with a canary cry just so happens to pop up at that moment. 

ETA: I have to admit I loved seeing Oliver protecting Felicity and covering her ears instead of his own. 

Edited by insomniadreams88
  • Love 8

I have watched that punch a couple of times and it just proves EBR should do more physical stunts.  Don't get me wrong, I don't need her to be a mask but she use to do alot more than she has in the last couple of seasons.

I still love Rory and Felicity's friendship. I really don't want them to take it away.  I liked the dynamic between Diggle and the DA.  At least this DA sounds convincing.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Wouldn't Felicity's glasses have shattered at some point? Not to mention their eardrums. 

I don't think plastic can shatter. "Time Enough At Last" would never work if The Twilight Zone gets relaunched again as it was. You'd need a different twist ending.

Almost forgot: "You know what? I think you're a real pain in the neck!!!" WHAM!!!

• Love 2

Anybody else irritated by the murmur talking this episode?  Enunciate, actors!  Lip and tongue action!  You must be heard, you must understood, and you must be pleasing.

That being said, Ollie proves, once again, that his brain is located in his dick.  Get it through you skull, Oliver - she's not your Laurel!

Meanwhile, Mad Dog continues to drag this series down.

• Love 3

That was weird. I actually liked Rene. I hate it when this happens. 

I didn't think Oliver was being dickish at all, just dumb and naive as usual. You know, as much as people say otherwise, I've always thought that he was a surprisingly hopeful idiot. 

• Love 9

This episode actually made me really excited for 5b again, and I really think it was like the first time they've been really able to balance all of the characters and subplots decently in an episode (probably helped that Lance/Thea/Susan weren't in it to complicate it, but I'm focusing on the positives here).

Basically I'm just happy that my continuous unpopular opinion of really liking all of the midseason premieres is still in tact. Seriously, this might be my favorite episode on s5 so far, or at least arguably one of. It actually had all of the things I wanted in 5a, including how they used the newbies.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 6

This episode felt like the show that I loved.  Amazing what they can create when they let Oliver and Felicity interact.  Finally I felt something while watching these characters!  So much nuance and emotion and weight in their scenes.  So much caring from both of them for each other.  So happy to actually be invested while I'm watching an episode!

I also actually loved how Felicity at first was just so happy to have Laurel back that she didn't question a thing but then her brain kicked in almost right away and she started plotting.    

Can't go as far as saying I liked Rene, but I didn't want to smack him more than a couple times which is a huge improvement.  They really toned down his essence of ass.  He was trying to be friendly if if he's completely tone deaf to moods.  I actually liked Curtis losing it on him.  No giggles or anything.  Glad they are moving toward tech but still feels like a fix rather than an intended story point.  Oh well, better a fix than to still live with what wasn't working.  

I did have to pause the show though at one point and rant about them finding Laurel's picture on Oliver. Nope, nope, I do not buy for a second that he'd had it on him the whole time.  He's been captured WAAAAAAAAY too many times for it to have survived goons pawing through his pockets.  How he even gets it back this time is a mystery since do we really think they gave it back to him after they were done taunting him with it (and didn't it seem to be in worse condition than the one he gave back to Laurel?  Maybe I can buy he swung by the plane and grabbed it last time he was on the island but still, it felt like just another Laurel retcon for the season.  

So they really didn't notice that Black Siren was gone for three days?  Not even feeding them anymore?  

Wait, nobody noticed that Black Siren was missing for three days?  She’s not even supposed to be in the pipeline.  She’s supposed to be in lock up through the city.  Nobody fed her for three days? 

A nicely packed episode and I actually didn't feel it was too rushed.  Loved seeing Oliver and Felicity doing a stunt together.  Was the start of season three the last time they did an actual stunt?  (minus the limo getting shot up)

I was seriously concerned KC was going to twist an ankle when BS was doing her drunken evil strut in the warehouse.  

I was happy that even if Oliver decided to be optimistic about notLaurel, the episode pretty much confirmed Felicity was right the whole time.  

Yeah, a pretty good episode...right until the end.  

I was really ready to give Tina a chance but already she bugs me.  I really didn't think two lines would be enough to make me have any kind of reaction, but  I found the acting and line delivery just off.  I will try with her again next week.  

• Love 23

So Oliver still hasn't learned his lesson about feeling like everything being his responsibility even after having it beaten out of him 5 years ago? I guess that shouldn't surprise me given the running theme of the show since season 1.

Nice to see that Curtis has finally realized that maybe he should start fighting smarter rather than harder. Hope that means he gets his T-Spheres in action soon.

I thought Adrian was going to stage a second breakout for Dig for a minute there; fortunately for everyone involved, he probably realized that would make Dig's legal situation even more tenuous and didn't. Either that, or maybe he won't turn out to be Vigilante in the Arrowverse.

Nice of Cisco to inform Team Arrow right away when EviLaurel was broken out. Instead of waiting for them to ask after she'd kicked two of Team Arrow's members on their keisters.

• Love 1

I decided to spoil myself and check out then the thread but the first post I saw was Wonderwall's Ron post and than decided I need to be surprised to savor the moment. I'm glad I did. LOL Love it.

I enjoyed that more than I thought I did. So much awesome Felicity (a Felicity and Laurel scene I enjoyed! More than one actually). Some great Olicity. I liked Rene in this episode. Curtis focusing more on the Tech and less on being a fighter.  All goodies.

Oliver. Oliver. Oliver. I get they are going for Oliver being Mr. Optimism but I would have preferred a little more trust but verify. Him just accepting her and than that she could change just makes him look like a moron. Not dickish for me, but stupid. I didn't enjoy that. Nor the picture return. Just no.

Regarding Black Siren. Hahaha. Well she went for it. There was a part at the wheelhouse when it zoomed in on her villian walk that I thought she was going to fall over because of that sway. Her make up was terrible and I found it very distracting. Her face was caked. That being said. I kind of enjoyed it in the same way I can enjoy Cupid. It's so over the top.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I did have to pause the show though at one point and rant about them finding Laurel's picture on Oliver. Nope, nope, I do not buy for a second that he'd had it on him the whole time.  He's been captured WAAAAAAAAY too many times for it to have survived goons pawing through his pockets.  How he even gets it back this time is a mystery since do we really think they gave it back to him after they were done taunting him with it (and didn't it seem to be in worse condition than the one he gave back to Laurel?  Maybe I can buy he swung by the plane and grabbed it last time he was on the island but still, it felt like just another Laurel retcon for the season.  

Well, it's always possible he watched a lot of Pulp Fiction growing up...

fan-theories-about-pulp-fiction-that-jus

• Love 9

Talia only introduced herself as "Talia," right? No last name? Maybe that's why Oliver's never mentioned meeting Talia al Ghul - he doesn't know that's who she is? (Of course, that could change in an upcoming episode.)

That photo is going to outlive everyone on the show. 

• Love 3

Also, I find Chase really attractive and I'm sad he wasn't Felicity's Temp. 

LOL I forgot about Tina. Mostly I was meh at the intro. It was cliche. I didn't like the smirk at the end (it gave WD vibes). So she was in CC right and got the meta cry?

• Love 9

Really enjoyed the episode.  It was fun and KC did well playing Black Siren (didn't look bad in that outfit either).  Oliver was dumb but I could understand why he would want to "save" her.

I like Adrian working as Dig's attorney.

Rene and Curtis's interaction turned out to be a real strong point of the episode.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

That being said, Ollie proves, once again, that his brain is located in his dick.  Get it through you skull, Oliver - she's not your Laurel!

Meanwhile, Mad Dog continues to drag this series down.

I didn't feel like Oliver was being so blind because of any kind of attraction, but it goes back to what Felicity said, Laurel still represents to him a chance at redemption.  That's what she was in season one and now that Oliver flip flopped from not blaming himself for Laurel's death, he's back to trying to redeem himself through saving notLaurel. I kind of enjoyed the continuity that he has massive Laurel blinders even now and Felicity is super aware of them, like she was back in season one.  

I do think Mad Dog wasn't as awful as normal, but then I think how much more I would have liked the episode if he was gone and Rory had all his scenes with Curtis and I'm back to finding him the worst.  

• Love 14
15 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Talia only introduced herself as "Talia," right? No last name? Maybe that's why Oliver's never mentioned meeting Talia al Ghul - he doesn't know that's who she is? (Of course, that could change in an upcoming episode.)

That photo is going to outlive everyone on the show. 

It only occurred to me when Talia showed up and said she'd been looking for him that at this point, Sara would have been with the LoA for a few years.  Sara actually has more training that Oliver, doesn't she.

15 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Also, I find Chase really attractive and I'm sad he wasn't Felicity's Temp. 

LOL I forgot about Tina. Mostly I was meh at the intro. It was cliche. I didn't like the smirk at the end (it gave WD vibes). So she was in CC right and got the meta cry?

Yeah, the smirk on top of what seemed to me an already weak line reading is what probably got to me.  I went from open minded to crap, she already annoys me.  

• Love 2

KC does a lot better when she's playing bad. I enjoyed the Siren scenes with Felicity. 

Siren's locked up, the stupid statue is gone and they're bringing a new Black Canary. Not bad. LOL I like all those things. 

I was trying to remember where I remembered the actor in the flashback's beating up Oliver. By the end I remembered he's Boyd's cousin from Justified. Great show and actor he is.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

It only occurred to me when Talia showed up and said she'd been looking for him that at this point, Sara would have been with the LoA for a few years.  Sara actually has more training that Oliver, doesn't she.

Yeah, the smirk on top of what seemed to me an already weak line reading is what probably got to me.  I went from open minded to crap, she already annoys me.  

Yeah they really screwed up the flashbacks. It's the last season of them and I still feel Oliver is way behind S1 Oliver.

I just felt they had a checklist for Tina's intro: Badass Females for Dumbies. It didn't work for me. I'm hoping the her full intro works better.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

This episode felt like the show that I loved.  Amazing what they can create when they let Oliver and Felicity interact.  Finally I felt something while watching these characters!  So much nuance and emotion and weight in their scenes.  So much caring from both of them for each other.  So happy to actually be invested while I'm watching an episode!

I also actually loved how Felicity at first was just so happy to have Laurel back that she didn't question a thing but then her brain kicked in almost right away and she started plotting.    

Can't go as far as saying I liked Rene, but I didn't want to smack him more than a couple times which is a huge improvement.  They really toned down his essence of ass.  He was trying to be friendly if if he's completely tone deaf to moods.  I actually liked Curtis losing it on him.  No giggles or anything.  Glad they are moving toward tech but still feels like a fix rather than an intended story point.  Oh well, better a fix than to still live with what wasn't working.  

So they really didn't notice that Black Siren was gone for three days?  Not even feeding them anymore?  

Wait, nobody noticed that Black Siren was missing for three days?  She’s not even supposed to be in the pipeline.  She’s supposed to be in lock up through the city.  Nobody fed her for three days? 

A nicely packed episode and I actually didn't feel it was too rushed.  Loved seeing Oliver and Felicity doing a stunt together.  Was the start of season three the last time they did an actual stunt?  (minus the limo getting shot up)

I was seriously concerned KC was going to twist an ankle when BS was doing her drunken evil strut in the warehouse.  

I was happy that even if Oliver decided to be optimistic about notLaurel, the episode pretty much confirmed Felicity was right the whole time.  

Yeah, a pretty good episode...right until the end.  

I was really ready to give Tina a chance but already she bugs me.  I really didn't think two lines would be enough to make me have any kind of reaction, but  I found the acting and line delivery just off.  I will try with her again next week.  

I have a problem with BCs who overcompensate. That's the problem with Laurel and now this Tina. They think they are so badass it just annoys me and then I end up not liking them. Yeah they are taking down bad guys but so what? 

That's why I liked Sara. She showed that she was vulnerable and wasn't acting all smug about it.

Same can be said for Felicity. She takes down bad guys and girls but she isn't smug about it. That's the difference between relatable characters and ones who are just too into themselves and just "fighting."

Edited by EmilyBettFan
  • Love 13

When it comes to best BC entrances: 

1. "No woman should suffer at the hands of men"
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. ...
  5. ...
  6. "I thought people like you only existed in the movies, y'know, two guys trying to overcompensate for their lack of manhood by taking it out on a defenseless woman"
  7. ...
  8. ...
  9. ...
  10. "I'm the justice you can't run from"

The only reason why I disliked Tina's first words is because it was just too wordy and it lacked depth.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Hiveminder said:

That was weird. I actually liked Rene. I hate it when this happens. 

I didn't think Oliver was being dickish at all, just dumb and naive as usual. You know, as much as people say otherwise, I've always thought that he was a surprisingly hopeful idiot. 

Flash Fact: Surprisingly Hopeful Idiot is the title of Barry Allen's autobiography, due out in early 2019.

• Love 14

So BS's abilities can break glass and can physically move people, but they can just cover their ears and are fine? No broken eardrums; no hearing loss. Did I miss the team conversation about using earplugs? I know, I know, I'll just repeat to myself it's just a show; I should really just relax. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, calliope1975 said:

So BS's abilities can break glass and can physically move people, but they can just cover their ears and are fine? No broken eardrums; no hearing loss. Did I miss the team conversation about using earplugs? I know, I know, I'll just repeat to myself it's just a show; I should really just relax. 

They put a lot of thought into giving LL a glass of water instead of champagne that they just lost the will to care about details towards the end LOL

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I'm going to pretend that BS can control her abilities and didn't want to kill everyone because Prometheus told her not to. As for the last scream, uh, proximity to the tech Curtis made? I know that doesn't make sense but that's the show. 

4 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

They put a lot of thought into giving LL a glass of water instead of champagne that they just lost the will to care about details towards the end LOL

I really liked that moment of Felicity clearly testing her. 

Also, forgot to mention this in my post earlier: loved Felicity/Rory in this episode. Give me all the Felicity/Rory scenes!

• Love 7