Type keyword(s) to search

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

It was on for me when he killed Han. Now he's targeting Leia? I so hope Leia force chokes him or does something else to show Bitch Boy (love the name) who's boss. 

Yeah, no argument from me. Emo fuckstick kills Han? All bets are off. Going after Leia? I will turn into some petty ass Egyptian pharaoh and eradicate Kylo Ren from existence. His name and image will be removed from all markers. So it is written, so shall it be.

• Love 17

Here's something I just noticed. If Rey can create cracks in the ground, then maybe the chasm that opened up on Starkiller Base was her doing. Instead of being caused by it exploding. Or maybe the Starkiller chasm was Ren. Some kind of defence, because Rey had him beat at that point, and probably would have killed him if she'd had the chance.

• Love 2

Not sure about the aesthetic of that. Looks more Farscape or Lexx, with the purple hair and kind of matching dress. Especially if she's supposed to be a military officer. But I do like the utilitarian costume design for the pilots and engineers or whatever, behind her.

• Love 1

From USA Today:

'Star Wars: The Last Jedi': See exclusive new video with Rian Johnson and Carrie Fisher

I really like Johnson's enthusiasm. I'd be giddy too if I got to actually walk into the Millenium Falcon! Also it looks like we get to see Rey and Poe interact in TLJ. They probably met the weeks she was at the Resistance base before she left to find Luke but it's nice seeing them together.

ETA: It was just uploaded on YouTube:

Edited by VCRTracking
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

You guys! ??

If you keep this u I'll be crying through 12/15.

I also want Chewie to hug Luke, like in ESB! But that may be too much fanservice.

• Love 2

So the running time has been announced. 150 minutes, the longest one yet. Go easy on the liquid the day before. And if you have a sensitive stomach to new foods, the day before is not the time to be experimenting.

• Love 3

Princes William and Harry will play stromtroopers

along with Tom Hardy and Gary Barlow

Boyega, who plays reformed Stormtrooper Finn in the movie (in theaters Dec. 15), confirmed that he shared a scene with the royal pair "wrapped in Stormtroopers costumes," during the taping of an interview for The Hollywood Reporter. 

THR also reported Friday that Will, Harry, British actor Tom Hardy and singer Gary Barlow appear together as Stormtroopers in the same scene, guarding Boyega's character in an elevator, "surely making it Star Wars' most secretly star-studded sequence of all time."

• Love 5

Awwwww, Finn’s first words waking up is REY. Man, when he can make his own choices, he is loyal. That Heroes trailer is probably my favorite.

I really wanted to see Rey, Finn and Poe together on a mission but the more trailers I see, the more I’m thinking thats not going to happen. I cant wait to see this!

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

If they don't end up together, we riot.

Well, Im secretly shipping Poe/Finn (damn you Oscar Isaac and your puppy dog eyes at Finn) BUT I also love Finn/Rey. So I shall riot with you.

Okay, someone needs to tell me if that article is giant click/buy-bait. Because that title of “Prepare for the epsiode that will change the saga forever is” is FREAKING me out. I really would hate if Rey goes Darkside. I mean, how is this movie going to change the saga? I need answers. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, SnoGirl said:

Well, Im secretly shipping Poe/Finn

I'm not so secret about it.  :-D

10 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

Okay, someone needs to tell me if that article is giant click/buy-bait.

I have be trying SO HARD not to read too much, because I know there is a lot of information out there (I just saw another warning go out for another tie-in thing), but it's killing me.  Especially after watching the heroes trailer.  

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Wynterwolf said:

I'm not so secret about it.  :-D

I have be trying SO HARD not to read too much, because I know there is a lot of information out there (I just saw another warning go out for another tie-in thing), but it's killing me.  Especially after watching the heroes trailer.  

I’m in the same boat. I let myself get spoiled for the last movie and I really dont want to be spoiled for this one. But on the flipside, I cant stop watching trailers and checking in here. It might be time that I stop wandering into this thread...(but I dont want to ?)

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

I really would hate if Rey goes Darkside.

I just read someone else's post about the EW article on tumblr (so I'm at least a LITTLE insulated), and it sounds like after Kylo and Rey's battle in TFA,

Spoiler

Kylo literally 'hates' her and is incensed that a lowly person like her (a garbage picker) could overpower his bond with the Force.  But she... isn't thinking about him at all.

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

I just read someone else's post about the EW article on tumblr (so I'm at least a LITTLE insulated), and it sounds like after Kylo and Rey's battle in TFA,

Hide contents

Kylo literally 'hates' her and is incensed that a lowly person like her (a garbage picker) could overpower his bond with the Force.  But she... isn't thinking about him at all.

Well, I appreciate that little tid-bit. Im still nervous about that click-bait title but I’ll white knuckle it until Opening Weekend.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

Reveal hidden contents

Kylo sounds more and more like every entitled Internet troll.

• Love 12

But also from the EW article:

Rian Johnson: “But I don’t think it’s very interesting if the whole story is just ‘Will Kylo get his comeuppance?’ He’s a more complicated character than that and I think he deserves a more complicated story than that. I don’t see the point of trying to get behind his mask and learn more about him if all we’re going to learn is ‘Yeah, he’s just an evil bad guy that needs to be killed.’”

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Rian Johnson: “But I don’t think it’s very interesting if the whole story is just ‘Will Kylo get his comeuppance?’ He’s a more complicated character than that and I think he deserves a more complicated story than that. I don’t see the point of trying to get behind his mask and learn more about him if all we’re going to learn is ‘Yeah, he’s just an evil bad guy that needs to be killed.’”

I would agree with that, and I imagine his relationship with Snoke will become rather more complex, especially as their side takes losses.  And he did show "weakness" towards the light... just before he killed Han, so there is still some conflict within him too, but I don't think they have enough time (2 movies) for them to do enough to make any kind of redemption arc plausible to me.   Even if he let himself 'die' heroically in the end.

I mean, never say never because a good storyteller can do amazing things with a complex character, but I'm just tired of selfish, whiny people willing doing evil things because they think someone else didn't love them enough.  Heh... I may have a lot of feelings about this.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
1 hour ago, Wynterwolf said:

I would agree with that, and I imagine his relationship with Snoke will become rather more complex, especially as their side takes losses.  And he did show "weakness" towards the light... just before he killed Han, so there is still some conflict within him too, but I don't think they have enough time (2 movies) for them to do enough to make any kind of redemption arc plausible to me.   Even if he let himself 'die' heroically in the end.

I mean, never say never because a good storyteller can do amazing things with a complex character, but I'm just tired of selfish, whiny people willing doing evil things because they think someone else didn't love them enough.  Heh... I may have a lot of feelings about this.  

Yeah, I'm not necessarily against a redemption arc for Kylo but I feel the events of the last movie have already backed the character into a corner. Here's the thing, if you want audiences to root for your villain to see the light and turn to the good side, maybe don't:

1. Have him a willing participant of an organisation that's modelled on the Third Reich at a time when ACTUAL Nazis are marching the streets.

2. Have him murder one of the franchise's most popular characters and then set his sights on its other most popular character whose equally beloved actress has recently passed away. 

3. Characterize him as the embodiment of an internet troll: pathetic, whiny, entitled, self-pitying, deluded, violent... That he literally shot up a school also creates inevitable parallels to America's mass-shooting endemic.

A lot of this stuff comes down to VERY bad timing in regards to the real-world issues that it reflects, but I think it's the reason there's been such a backlash against the idea that we should be invested in such a guy. Plus some of the things I've read don't exactly fill me with confidence that any redemption arc will be particularly interesting: according to Rian, part of what made him go Dark Side was that Kylo felt his parents cared more about the Rebellion than they did him. Seriously?? Boo fucking hoo, Finn and Rey didn't have any parents AT ALL and they didn't join a mass-murdering cult run by a giant CGI mishap. 

I'm willing to withhold judgement before seeing the film, and hopefully it'll surprise me with some other reason as to why Kylo is the way he is (or else just confirm that he's an ass) but I'm definitely side-eyeing Rian's claim that he's "complicated." There's nothing remotely complicated (or interesting) about a guy with Daddy Issues.  It's the most cliched thing they could possibly do with the character, and it involves throwing Han and Leia (and possibly Luke as well) under the bus in order to justify it.

If they do a flashback to his massacre of the Jedi School and reveal that he was bullied by the other students I wouldn't be remotely surprised at this stage.

Edited by Ravenya003
  • Love 23

I don't know about justifying anything and I agree nothing really will justify his actions but I do agree Kylo Ren should not be a one dimensional character. He shouldn't just someone who was born bad or turned evil for no reason.  And I love Leia, Han and Luke but they weren't perfect. They had flaws and were capable of making mistakes.

Edited by VCRTracking
22 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

He shouldn't just someone who was born bad or turned evil for no reason.  And I love Leia, Han and Luke but they weren't perfect. They had flaws and were capable of making mistakes.

There's always a progression, choices made in specific circumstances that lead to other circumstances and other choices.  I expect there to be an interesting exploration of the nature of evil.  

• Love 1
On 11/19/2017 at 9:34 PM, Spartan Girl said:

If they don't end up together, we riot.

I'm of two minds about this. I'm beyond tired of the compulsory Hollywood route that creates romantic relationships out of any male/female pairing of characters that quest (or work, etc) together (or sometimes at odds, I suppose). I like Rey and Finn as friends. I'd like to see them remain friends and not be shoehorned into a romantic pairing, because I generally prefer my movies to progress without romantic entanglements unless they are blatantly romantically-themed movies. I work with people all the time, even in very stressful situations sometimes, and do not embark on romances with them. I do, however, have meaningful friendships with some of them that I value very highly. On the other hand, I'm also not fond of having two people who fall into the compulsory Hollywood trope of coupledom not become a couple if one half of that couple is POC when it would be clear that they would be a couple otherwise. So, I only riot if they set up all of the give-aways that point in neon lights to THIS IS A ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP IN THE MAKING and then chicken out at the last (see: The Replacement Killers). Otherwise, give me a strong, mutually supportive, and clearly valued male/female friendship. Please.

• Love 1
Just now, Spartan Girl said:

I'd be fine if Rey and Finn stayed friends, though I'd like it if they ended up together too.

So let me rephrase my earlier statement: If Rey ends up Kylo Ren, we riot.

I think 'riot' is far too mild. Actual world-ending revolution might be a better choice.

• Love 8
On 11/28/2017 at 3:25 AM, FurryFury said:

Yeah I don't see any romantic chemistry between Rey and Finn. I'd preffer they stay friends.

I want Finn and Poe and I'm not even remotely ashamed. They had great chemistry in their all too brief scenes.

And, yes, if Rey and Ren end up as a couple I will burn the motherfucker down.

• Love 9

Another new TV spot:

I think the important key to a sequel's success is that the characters should feel like the exact same from the previous movie and even with a new writer TLJ accomplishes it IMO.

ETA: Training featurette:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
On 11/20/2017 at 0:31 PM, VCRTracking said:

Rian Johnson: “But I don’t think it’s very interesting if the whole story is just ‘Will Kylo get his comeuppance?’ He’s a more complicated character than that and I think he deserves a more complicated story than that. I don’t see the point of trying to get behind his mask and learn more about him if all we’re going to learn is ‘Yeah, he’s just an evil bad guy that needs to be killed.’”

Oh no. Any reasonable person knows that being "an evil bad guy that needs to be killed" doesn't mean that character isn't also complicated. But there's a certain type of male character, white and uber violent who feels unloved, who is just so much more complicated and human than the rest of us that there is literally nothing they can't come back from. So that Johnson is framing it that way means one thing and one thing only: Kylo's gonna get a redemption arc. Which means there's like a 50% chance they're gonna pair him with Rey.

• Love 1