Type keyword(s) to search

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

That quote breaks my heart. I want Leia to be the forefront of the last movie. Life is not fair. Maybe when it comes out, they'll spill what her role was really supposed to be.

Those pictures are gorgeous. Is it December yet??

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

Sure, but Luke was the original trilogy's "gateway character"; the normal guy that the audience would use as a surrogate in their introduction to a strange new galaxy. It makes sense he would have an ordinary name. And Ben was technically the alias to a much stranger real name. 

But were they called ducks, or something else, in the same way "children" were inexplicably called "younglings"? 

Okay, I don't really want to get into a huge debate about this; it's just a name after all, but Rose still strikes me as an odd choice. 

Ducks are sort of a recurring thing in Star Wars, From the Star Wars Novelization.

“I understand you’re quite a good pilot yourself. Piloting and navigation aren’t hereditary, but a number of the things that can combine to make a good small-ship pilot are. Those you may have inherited. Still, even a duck has to be taught to swim.”

“What’s a duck?” Luke asked curiously.

“Nevermind.”

Edited by Perfect Xero
6 hours ago, starri said:

Mayhew has retired from playing Chewie due to health problems.  Mayhew has primarily passed the role on to a basketball player named Joonas Suotamo.  The only places he was Chewie in TFA was when Chewie was sitting down.  He won't be in the Han Solo movie at all.

Yeah, I know. But both IMDB and Wookieepedia credit him as being in TLJ. I don't have twitter, but he does. Could someone please ask him if that's him?

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Yeah, I know. But both IMDB and Wookieepedia credit him as being in TLJ. I don't have twitter, but he does. Could someone please ask him if that's him?

Caption on the picture says it's the new guy.

2 hours ago, starri said:

Caption on the picture says it's the new guy.

Of course it does. That's what I get for looking last thing at night, after booze. :)

The thing that got me excited is not only finding out Rose's last name(Tico) but she has a sister, Paige, a Resistance gunner being trained by Poe, played by Veronica Ngo:

MV5BNjc3NTI5Mzk2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDgz

Seeing a relationship between two sisters in Star Wars is new (there was Padme's sister in a deleted Episode II scene but their conversation was so domestic).

• Love 2

David Kamp, writer of the Vanity Fair article did an AMA("Ask me Anything) on Reddit.

It's at this link. Here's a highlight:

Do we learn anything about Snoke's identity? Does he get a fight scene?

Kamp: I asked Rian Johnson about Snoke—Who/what is he?—and Rian was fairly up front in saying that Snoke is not a character he particularly gets into in TLJ. Hmmm.

Love it! I've wanted a BTS  peek since the first trailer & this one not only delivered, the scenes with Mark Hamill & Carrie Fisher make me want TLJ even more and it's not even Christmas yet.

• Love 3

I was reading about the info inside the EW Star Wars issue and I'm getting serious KOTOR vibes from some of the new aliens being introduced, especially 

Spoiler

The film’s new aliens include the “force sensitive” inhabitants of Luke’s island Ahch-To, including the aquatic-looking “Caretakers” of the Jedi temple (who speak “a blubbery sort of Scottish fish talk,” per Johnson) and the adorable, penguin-like Porgs.

The whole Island and Aliens reminds me of the Unknown World near the Star Forge and the Rakata

Okay, possibly an unpopular opinion. I don't like porgs. I was fairly neutral on them at first. I'm not one to obsess over cute creatures. But a lot of the advertising seems to revolve around them, and two podcasts I listen to like to bang on about them. The more I hear about them, the less I like them. Yes, I like Ewoks. But I discovered them when I was five, and they proved their worth in battle. Maybe porgs will do something cool and I'll change my mind. But right now, they're starting to irritate me.

The porgs are cute but if George Lucas had created them, he's be savaged by the internet.  Fandom has ripped GL over the years for creating the Ewoks and Jar Jar so I find almost any positive reaction to the porgs to be hypocritical. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

The Reylo fans are probably wetting themselves after that trailer.

If they hook up, I will blow intergalactic chunks.

You can explode from that, I'm going to explode if Rey goes darkside. I will be just as furious.

I'm having feelings about this trailer, but I'm not exactly sure what they are. Other than Leia!  Oh Leia. Even Ben is tearing up.

One thing for sure, this does NOT look like Empire Strikes Back.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SnoGirl said:

You can explode from that, I'm going to explode if Rey goes darkside. I will be just as furious.

I'm having feelings about this trailer, but I'm not exactly sure what they are. Other than Leia!  Oh Leia. Even Ben is tearing up.

The edgelords on Reddit aren't sure whether to crow about Rey becoming a villain or to bemoan Disney not "having the balls" to make her one. As though it would ever be a good idea, from a storytelling or marketing point of view.

As for her and Kylo Ren? Nope. If that happens, I'm out. I have no truck with abusive assholes being depicted as romantic heroes. Kylo Ren is still an irredeemable psychopath who murdered his own father in cold blood, I don't give a shit that he had a woobie moment when asked to kill his mother.

Fortunately, I do think it's a misdirect, and they wouldn't be so stupid as to give away anything that big in a trailer. They want to get people talking? It worked. Disney knows how to sell stuff.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, SnoGirl said:

One thing for sure, this does NOT look like Empire Strikes Back.

Nah, there was an ice planet, Rey and Luke were training in some watery swamp like place, and the evil force guy seems to want to train Rey. That's enough to dismiss the whole thing as ripping off Empire. /s

50 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

Nah, there was an ice planet, Rey and Luke were training in some watery swamp like place, and the evil force guy seems to want to train Rey. That's enough to dismiss the whole thing as ripping off Empire. /s

A rocky island is not a swamp.

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The Reylo fans are probably wetting themselves after that trailer.

If they hook up, I will blow intergalactic chunks.

Disney is not going to hook up their nineteen year old heroine (and first female protagonist in a Star Wars movie) with a thirty-three year old mass-murdering, school-shooting space Nazi who murdered her surrogate father right before her eyes.  I haven't been more certain of a ship's outcome since Zutara sunk like a stone in '09. (A show which coincidentally ALSO teased the shippers with some sneaky editing in their final trailer. In that case it was juxtaposing an interrupted kiss between the real love interests with what turned out to be a platonic hug between the crack ship. In this case you can tell that Rey and Kylo are in completely different locations in those two final scenes. And let's not forget all the misdirect that went on during The Force Awaken's promotion that posited Finn as the would-be Jedi. And the fact that at least 70% of the trailer footage of Rogue One never turned up in the actual movie. All I'm saying is never trust a trailer).

That said, I don't doubt that Rey/Kylo will have some intense interactions throughout this film, and that Rey will be tempted by the Dark Side at some point (just as Kylo was drawn to the Light Side in the previous film).  They're flip sides of the coin. And although I'm pretty sure Rey is talking to Luke with her: "I need someone to show me my place in all this" comment, I think Kylo IS offering his hand to Rey. Whether she takes it, or whether she's playing some sort of long con when it happens, remains to be seen. Then again, it could just as easily be a scene between Kylo and Leia. 

The edgelords on Reddit aren't sure whether to crow about Rey becoming a villain or to bemoan Disney not "having the balls" to make her one. As though it would ever be a good idea, from a storytelling or marketing point of view.

Well they had the balls to kill off Han Solo and the entirety of Rogue One, so why not have Rey stumble toward the Dark Side? She won't go all the way over, but the two big themes of this franchise is Temptation and Redemption. It would be more surprising if they DIDN'T have the trilogy's newest protagonist struggle with her inner darkness.

All that aside, the scenes of Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher nearly stopped my heart. Can't wait to see Finn versus Phasma (though on closer inspection, I'm sad he's not wielding a lightsaber). Poe still seems a little pointless to me. I'm glad they didn't spoil the Finn/Rey reunion, as I'm looking forward to that more than anything else. Rey's training under Luke seems suitably gruelling. No sign of Rose which is a bit of an oversight. Love the look of the space battles.

Basically, can't wait until December!

Edited by Ravenya003
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

There's ice, but it looks like the First Order counterattack is on the salt flats planet. That'll be our three worlds, then. Anch-To, salt flats, ice. Plus a couple of capital ships.

Fun thing I noticed: the door on the ice planet is like Jabba's door. I've always loved that. When I was a teen, my house's garage had a manual roller door. In my heart, it was Jabba's door. Even though that was both vertical and automatic.

Edited by Joe
5 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

Disney is not going to hook up their nineteen year old heroine (and first female protagonist in a Star Wars movie) with a thirty-three year old mass-murdering, school-shooting space Nazi who murdered her surrogate father right before her eyes.  I haven't been more certain of a ship's outcome since Zutara sunk like a stone in '09. (A show which coincidentally ALSO teased the shippers with some sneaky editing in their final trailer. In that case it was juxtaposing an interrupted kiss between the real love interests with what turned out to be a platonic hug between the crack ship. In this case you can tell that Rey and Kylo are in completely different locations in those two final scenes. And let's not forget all the misdirect that went on during The Force Awaken's promotion that posited Finn as the would-be Jedi. And the fact that at least 70% of the trailer footage of Rogue One never turned up in the actual movie. All I'm saying is never trust a trailer).

That said, I don't doubt that Rey/Kylo will have some intense interactions throughout this film, and that Rey will be tempted by the Dark Side at some point (just as Kylo was drawn to the Light Side in the previous film).  They're flip sides of the coin. And although I'm pretty sure Rey is talking to Luke with her: "I need someone to show me my place in all this" comment, I think Kylo IS offering his hand to Rey. Whether she takes it, or whether she's playing some sort of long con when it happens, remains to be seen. Then again, it could just as easily be a scene between Kylo and Leia. 

Well they had the balls to kill off Han Solo and the entirety of Rogue One, so why not have Rey stumble toward the Dark Side? She won't go all the way over, but the two big themes of this franchise is Temptation and Redemption. It would be more surprising if they DIDN'T have the trilogy's newest protagonist struggle with her inner darkness.

All that aside, the scenes of Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher nearly stopped my heart. Can't wait to see Finn versus Phasma (though on closer inspection, I'm sad he's not wielding a lightsaber). Poe still seems a little pointless to me. I'm glad they didn't spoil the Finn/Rey reunion, as I'm looking forward to that more than anything else. Rey's training under Luke seems suitably gruelling. No sign of Rose which is a bit of an oversight. Love the look of the space battles.

Basically, can't wait until December!

ITA. This trailer is even better than the first. As for Rey, while she may be tempted by the Dark Side, I doubt she'll turn to it or Kylo Ben, especially after what he did to her, Finn & especially to Han.

Seeing Carrie Fisher both made me smile & broke my heart all over again, just like the end of Rogue One.

• Love 3

I'm kind of meh on the trailer. I don't know, it just doesn't seem very fun, and my god, there were so many characters in it, and we didn't even get Kelly Marie Tran, Laura Dern, and Domhnall Gleeson. I'm not going to lie though, Kylo not being able to pull the trigger on Leia got me. But only because of Leia. No, Kylo's "killing parents is awesome, I'm going to do it again!" had me rolling my eyes into oblivion.

And although I'm pretty sure Rey is talking to Luke with her: "I need someone to show me my place in all this" comment, I think Kylo IS offering his hand to Rey. Whether she takes it, or whether she's playing some sort of long con when it happens, remains to be seen.

I feel like it could be the "[Rey] I am you [cousin/brother]. With our combined strength we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy" scene.

I'd like to see Ren fire on Leia, or try to. And she deflects his shot with the Force. I also feel that if they decide to kill her, she'll pull an Obi-Wan and just fade away rather than actually die.

• Love 5

I'm very so-so  on this trailer, not a lot of memorable images like in the previous one. I don't believe for one second that Rey will turn to the dark side so having the whole trailer hinge on that doesn't really work for me

2 hours ago, Joe said:

I'd like to see Ren fire on Leia, or try to. And she deflects his shot with the Force. I also feel that if they decide to kill her, she'll pull an Obi-Wan and just fade away rather than actually die.

I was already 100 percent over Kylo Ren's fangirls when he killed his own father and they still woobified him.  If Bitch Boy does kill his own mother, IT'S ON.

• Love 8

I'll stand by an early comment...if George Lucas introduced something like the porgs, he would be ripped nonstop for ruining the sequels and for trying to sell toys to kids.  So a lot (not all of course) of the love for the porgs is very hypocritical.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I was already 100 percent over Kylo Ren's fangirls when he killed his own father and they still woobified him.  If Bitch Boy does kill his own mother, IT'S ON.

It was on for me when he killed Han. Now he's targeting Leia? I so hope Leia force chokes him or does something else to show Bitch Boy (love the name) who's boss. 

• Love 9