Type keyword(s) to search

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

Here's the thread for Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which will be out in December. According to TPTB, it's going to pick up where The Force Awakens left off, which means that Luke's going to play a much bigger role. I believe that the film will also pay tribute to Carrie Fisher in some way, since this was the last Star Wars film she ever did. 

Rey isn't a Jedi. Not as of TFA anyway. Luke may train her and she may choose to join the Jedi Order (which is nothing at the moment).

They could also get rid of Jedi/Sith in favor of newer names Knights of Ren/??

Edited by Morrigan2575
1 hour ago, starri said:

These are the same people who said that the prequels were better than TFA. 

And until TFA wouldn't stop bitching about the prequels.

Mark Hamill reacts to announcement:

Edited by VCRTracking
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Rey isn't a Jedi. Not as of TFA anyway. Luke may train her and she may choose to join the Jedi Order (which is nothing at the moment).

They could also get rid of Jedi/Sith in favor of newer names Knights of Ren/??

It would be an interesting development if Luke has decided that the idea of an order of Jedi is obsolete, and out of place in the galaxy. That he declares himself the last Jedi because he doesn't think there should be any more.

So while Rey can learn how to do the things a Jedi can do, she's not to be bound by the codices of the old Jedi Order. It would be a very handy way of getting past the strictures Lucas and other expanded universe writers put on Jedi and the way they are supposed to behave.

They've made it clear that Kylo Ren isn't Sith, so I think it would be fitting for Rey to be something new as well.

• Love 3

Breaking the pattern here. Previously the word "Jedi" is used in the 3rd film of the trilogy set, not the second.

I'm thinking this verifies that Rey *isn't* Luke's daughter. Given how very tightly information about the plot is controlled, I don't think the title of the movie is going to reference a major plot point nearly a year before release.

8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Rey might not be an official Jedi yet, but the title is practically screaming that she's Luke's daughter.

Yeah, I think the title is in reference to Luke and Rey.  The plural of Jedi is Jedi.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Yeah, I think the title is in reference to Luke and Rey.  The plural of Jedi is Jedi.

Yeah it could totally be about both of them. However, I did find it interesting that Jeremy Jahns mentioned in his Episode 8 title speculation video that Luke is twiced referred to as The Last Jedi in The Force Awakens, once in the opening crawl and again by Snoke.

Jahn's also had some interesting speculation (I think he's wrong), that this new trilogy is setting the stage to remove Force Wielders from the Star Wars Universe. No more Jedi, Sith or Knights of Ren. 

Jahn's also had some interesting speculation (I think he's wrong), that this new trilogy is setting the stage to remove Force Wielders from the Star Wars Universe. No more Jedi, Sith or Knights of Ren.

I believe it's wrong as well.  There was meant to be Jedi again after Return of the Jedi and not seeing a new Jedi Order to me will be one of the real disappointments of the sequel trilogy.

1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yeah it could totally be about both of them. However, I did find it interesting that Jeremy Jahns mentioned in his Episode 8 title speculation video that Luke is twiced referred to as The Last Jedi in The Force Awakens, once in the opening crawl and again by Snoke.

I say the reason Luke is referred to as the last Jedi in the opening crawl is because they don't want to give away that Rey is Luke's daughter and had Jedi training.  Snoke thinks everybody except for Kylo and Luke died in the Temple Purge, he doesn't think Luke's daughter survived.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

I say the reason Luke is referred to as the last Jedi in the opening crawl is because they don't want to give away that Rey is Luke's daughter and had Jedi training.  Snoke thinks everybody except for Kylo and Luke died in the Temple Purge, he doesn't think Luke's daughter survived.

I still don't think she is Luke's daughter. Because the idea of him abandoning her on a pretty unpleasant planet, then sodding off to his remote planet makes him look like a real arsehole. It's not like Obi Wan leaving Luke with Owen and Beru, and certainly not like Leia being adopted by Bail Organa.

I also think that making her Luke's daughter means that they then have to spend time telling us who the mother is, how Luke met her, and what happened to her. Fans would want to know, and a lot would throw tantrums if she's not called Mara Jade. It just seems like a lot of ground needing to be covered, just to make Rey his daughter.

I believe it's wrong as well.  There was meant to be Jedi again after Return of the Jedi and not seeing a new Jedi Order to me will be one of the real disappointments of the sequel trilogy.

It wouldn't bother me at all. I've said before that I think Jedi are a crutch that the Star Wars universe needs to become comfortable not using. Rogue One proved that they can make a really good movie without a single Jedi, and with a lightsaber only appearing for about two minutes at the end. Rey can learn to use the Force without becoming a Jedi, and I think that's what will happen.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Not buying that.  The lightsabers and force powers are the main attraction for children to buy Star Wars merchandise.  Why would Disney want to handicap their cash cow???? 

• Love 6
On 1/24/2017 at 9:52 AM, Danny Franks said:

I still don't think she is Luke's daughter. Because the idea of him abandoning her on a pretty unpleasant planet, then sodding off to his remote planet makes him look like a real arsehole. It's not like Obi Wan leaving Luke with Owen and Beru, and certainly not like Leia being adopted by Bail Organa.

I tend to agree with this, but then, I think him leaving Leia alone makes him look like a pretty big ass too, so, you never know. But maybe they'll give a good reason, I dunno.

On 1/24/2017 at 10:17 AM, DarkRaichu said:

Not buying that.  The lightsabers and force powers are the main attraction for children to buy Star Wars merchandise.  Why would Disney want to handicap their cash cow???? 

Plus, there's no reason they couldn't reform the Jedi order. Even if Rey doesn't become a Jedi, whatever she organizes could eventually become narrow-minded just as the Jedi became, so imo it's the same difference whatever she calls herself.

• Love 1

Okay, now that we know from the release of the foreign titles like "Los Ultimos Jedi" that the "Jedi" in the title is plural, we have Daisy Ridley's co-star in the upcoming "Murder on the Orient Express", Josh Gad making his third attempt at grilling her about spoilers for Episode VIII. Last time he enlisted Dame Judi Dench who asked her questions like "What's up with Reylo?":

Now Gad is bringing in some more help:

• Love 4

It's directed by Kenneth Branagh who worked with Natalie Portman in Thor and Keira Knightley in Jack Ryan so he must love that Star Wars brunette type.

Also Johnny Depp is playing the murder victim, Mr Ratchett so if you have any negative feelings about him due to recent events, you should check it out!

• Love 3
On 1/24/2017 at 8:34 AM, Jediknight said:

Kylo Ren was born in 5 ABY and Rey was born in 15 ABY. She's nineteen, almost twenty, in TFA and around five (age according to the novelizations) to seven (age of the actress playing young Rey) when she's abandoned on Jakku. (So at max Kylo Ren was about seventeen when he helped destroy Luke's new Jedi Order, assuming that occurred around the time she was abandoned. Damn.) I'd be really surprised if Rey had been at the Jedi temple. I think Rey Skywalker is definitely the George Lucas answer and the film does lean that way. But shit. Dumping your at most seven year old daughter onto a desert planet where most people have to become scavengers and live off rations (which is barely food) to survive is...a dick move. If Leia managed to escape detection for over twenty years while being an adopted member of a very high-profile family then there's really no good excuse for abandoning Rey in such a harsh environment. A child left alone there wouldn't be guaranteed to survive. So if she is Luke's kid he's got some explaining (and apologizing) to do.

Spoiler

Daisy has said that she felt it was obvious who Rey's parents are, which can only mean her family is one we're familiar with. Assuming DR knew her Rey's parents where at the time she said that. It was either JJ Abrams or Pablo Hidalgo who said that Rey's family were not in TFA. Not that that means anything, Abrams has been known to lie and they'd have no reason to admit ahead of the release of TLJ who her parents are.

Personally, I'm more of a fan of the Rey Kenobi theory but I'd be perfectly satisfied with her being descended from some unknown family. Kylo Ren is the legacy, the one with the epic lineage, and it'd be awesome to watch him get his ass kicked again by a scavenger descended from a perfectly ordinary family.

I love all the "Rey's not whiny/melodramatic enough to be a Skywalker!" arguments.

Edited by slf
  • Love 4
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:52 AM, Danny Franks said:

I also think that making her Luke's daughter means that they then have to spend time telling us who the mother is, how Luke met her, and what happened to her. Fans would want to know, and a lot would throw tantrums if she's not called Mara Jade. It just seems like a lot of ground needing to be covered, just to make Rey his daughter.

Mara Jade. Still upset that she was cast out of the rebooted Star Wars universe.

• Love 5
On 2/20/2017 at 3:42 PM, VCRTracking said:

Also Johnny Depp is playing the murder victim, Mr Ratchett so if you have any negative feelings about him due to recent events, you should check it out!

^^ This is me. At first I was mad that Johnny Depp was going to in this, because I love Christie adaptations, and Murder on the Orient Express is one of my favorites, but then I found out he's the victim so its alright. I was feeling conflicted about wanting to watch it, but now I think I'll actually see it in theatres.

I'm always a little befuddled by the argument that Rey can't be a Skywalker because Luke dumping her on a desert planet would make him a terrible father. There are a million reasons as to how/why she could have ended up on that planet that don't involve Luke leaving her there, and which wouldn't automatically rule him out as her father. 

For instance: she's enrolled at her dad's Jedi school, Kylo attacks with the other Knights of Ren, an older student rescues her from the massacre but is chased through space by the First Order and so ends up dropping her on the nearest planet before jettisoning off again in order to lead the Knights away from her, only for his/her ship to get shot down and everyone on board assumed dead.  I'm not saying that's how it will go down, only that there are plenty of ways to reconcile her abandonment with her hypothetical parentage. 

• Love 10

Or what if Luke was so powerful he accidentally created a Force baby when he was researching old Sith/Jedi temple.  That would explain her power level / connection to Force, also connect Anakin & Rey in a different way

Edited by DarkRaichu
On 16/03/2017 at 9:12 AM, Ravenya003 said:

I'm always a little befuddled by the argument that Rey can't be a Skywalker because Luke dumping her on a desert planet would make him a terrible father. There are a million reasons as to how/why she could have ended up on that planet that don't involve Luke leaving her there, and which wouldn't automatically rule him out as her father. 

For instance: she's enrolled at her dad's Jedi school, Kylo attacks with the other Knights of Ren, an older student rescues her from the massacre but is chased through space by the First Order and so ends up dropping her on the nearest planet before jettisoning off again in order to lead the Knights away from her, only for his/her ship to get shot down and everyone on board assumed dead.  I'm not saying that's how it will go down, only that there are plenty of ways to reconcile her abandonment with her hypothetical parentage. 

Well, doesn't Rey say that her family are going to come for her? To me, the implication in her memories is that her parents left her on that planet, in the care of someone they trusted. But that's not to say her memories haven't been tampered with.

I think Luke must, at least, know something of who she is. From what we know, they're going to spend much of this movie together, and he's going to be training her. I like the conceit of him doing so while she's desperate to learn more about his past, and he's too into being the new Obi-Wan to give much away.

But what I'm also looking forward to is the prospect of Finn becoming a loyal and solid part of the Resistance. That's a different kind of growth arc for this franchise. We've seen people learn to be Jedi before, but we've not really seen people learn how to be soldiers and/or pilots. John Boyega would do a great job with his own boot camp sub-plot.

• Love 3
On 3/16/2017 at 4:12 AM, Ravenya003 said:

If Luke had a kid who was taken from the Jedi academy you'd think that's the sort of thing that would've come up when Han was explaining why Luke had taken off. Also, we don't know that the slaughter occurred just before Rey was left on Jakku- at most Kylo Ren would've been 16, which is a young age to wipe out an entire academy. Anakin was well into his twenties when he did it. There are definitely plenty of theories that could make her his kid but it all comes down to how complicated you think they're likely to make it, how likely you think it is they're going to do another hidden Skywalker. If she's his kid I'm going with "he didn't know about her", which: eh. I'm not wild about that theory. That seems unnecessarily complicated to make her his kid when they could've just used a similar situation to the one you proposed and it wouldn't have really changed TFA much, if at all. It would've simply delayed our finding out who her family is by one movie which would be a weird choice given how quickly they revealed that Kylo Ren is Han and Leia's kid.

9 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Well, doesn't Rey say that her family are going to come for her? To me, the implication in her memories is that her parents left her on that planet, in the care of someone they trusted. But that's not to say her memories haven't been tampered with.

I was thinking the same; Rey seems to have some memory, vague as it may be, of her family. Though the hand on her arm in the flashbacks appears to belong to Unkar Plutt and who the fuck would trust him? 

For what it's worth, I always thought it was a little strange that Rey kept saying "my family" as opposed to "my parents." Perhaps the writers were just keeping their options open considering "family" is less specific than "parents", but if it was a deliberate choice of words then it suggests a wider group of people were involved in leaving her on Jakku: like say, a bunch of other Jedi students. 

Maybe I'm just overthinking it, though I also think that everything about the way Rey spoke about her family and interacted with the Force was HIGHLY suggestive of a young woman whose memories had been suppressed/tampered with: in which case she would be able to vaguely recall that there was a family as opposed to just two parents involved in her abandonment. And her skill in the Force is because she's already learned how to use it; she's only just now recalling how.

Edited by Ravenya003
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

For what it's worth, I always thought it was a little strange that Rey kept saying "my family" as opposed to "my parents." Perhaps the writers were just keeping their options open considering "family" is less specific than "parents", but if it was a deliberate choice of words then it suggests a wider group of people were involved in leaving her on Jakku: like say, a bunch of other Jedi students. 

I agree with you. "My family" felt purposely vague. When we see the flashback of her being left behind, she seemed old enough to have more specific memories of her mother and father. Her recollections of her family came off more like missing a community than parents/siblings. 

• Love 3
On 18/03/2017 at 3:25 AM, Ravenya003 said:

Maybe I'm just overthinking it, though I also think that everything about the way Rey spoke about her family and interacted with the Force was HIGHLY suggestive of a young woman whose memories had been suppressed/tampered with: in which case she would be able to vaguely recall that there was a family as opposed to just two parents involved in her abandonment. And her skill in the Force is because she's already learned how to use it; she's only just now recalling how.

It's quite possible that her memories have been tampered with. That's the easy way to make her a Skywalker or Solo, and honestly I think this is a situation where going the most obvious route is the best thing to do. Trying to explain Rey completely independently of Luke and Leia could easily take the movie down some unnecessary narrative paths. If her parents haven't been introduced already, then they need to include them in some way, and explain why they left her and why they didn't come back, and how she is so familiar with the Force (never mind that she can fly the Falcon and understand Wookiee).

But I also think that using "family" as opposed to "parents" evokes a more powerful sense of her yearning to belong. Having parents is knowing where you came from, but having a family is knowing who you are, and what's important to you. By the time we meet Rey, she's not yearning for her parents any more. She's a grown, resourceful, tough woman. But she is yearning for a family that would mean she's not alone. It may have been chosen for that reason, or for the reason you suggest. Or it might just be a random bit of writing.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3

Until I'm proven otherwise, I'm still to my supposition that Rey is a Solo. The Jedi thing could come from Luke or Leia, while the Falcon skills and Shryriiwook fluency points towards Solo heritage.

Narrative-wise I think making her Luke's child would take the story backwards. Aside from a retroactively icky crush on Leia, Luke has had no on-screen relationships with women. Making Rey his child means we have to establish who her mother is, how her relationship with Luke happened, how that relationship ended and how Rey ended up on Jakku. 

Making her a Solo child that was thought dead in the Jedi-school carnage however more easily moves the story forward.

At least in my opinion.

• Love 2
On 3/17/2017 at 10:25 PM, Ravenya003 said:

I thought maybe they just hadn't decided who they wanted her family to be so they had her say "family" instead of getting more specific. Also, Star Wars is obsessed with families, lol.

On 3/17/2017 at 10:25 PM, Ravenya003 said:

And her skill in the Force is because she's already learned how to use it; she's only just now recalling how.

If so that would make Rey a Force prodigy unlike any we've seen since maybe Anakin Skywalker. Children just learning to use the Force wouldn't know (or be taught) how to do mind tricks. I just assumed it's something she either figured out when she went inside Kylo Ren's head or something she'd heard Jedi could do and tried it out.

On 3/19/2017 at 5:06 AM, Danny Franks said:

If her parents haven't been introduced already, then they need to include them in some way, and explain why they left her and why they didn't come back, and how she is so familiar with the Force (never mind that she can fly the Falcon and understand Wookiee).

The Force! She was able to fly because of the Force, lol! (Rey's awakening.) Luke and Anakin both had piloting skills that exceeded their experience partially due to natural aptitude and partially due to the Force. (A mark in favor of Rey Skywalker?) Also from a lifetime spent crawling through ships, taking them apart, learning how they work (useful for a scavenger to know which parts are valuable and can be salvaged and which to not even bother with) would've given her plenty of knowledge. I think the official website or novelizations has her having accessed sims on ships that still had functioning computer mainframes but I don't remember if they alluded to that in the film?

On 3/19/2017 at 5:06 AM, Danny Franks said:

But I also think that using "family" as opposed to "parents" evokes a more powerful sense of her yearning to belong. Having parents is knowing where you came from, but having a family is knowing who you are, and what's important to you. By the time we meet Rey, she's not yearning for her parents any more. She's a grown, resourceful, tough woman. But she is yearning for a family that would mean she's not alone.

Good point and well-put.

I'm open to just about anything, ultimately, so long as I don't have to sit through a Kylo Ren Redemption Movie.

Edited by slf
  • Love 2

I thought it was good but way too short.  I wanted more.

The poster is no doubt a nod to the original Star Wars post with Luke raising his lightsaber but it reminds me more of the original Tron.

Kylo is looking a little more like ROTS Anakin I thought.

• Love 5

That trailer was short, but oh so good. I can't wait to see the movie even more now. I was dreading the rumors about Luke dying, but now I realize that just means that he will be with Yoda, Obi Wan, Anakin, and hopefully Leia. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

I squealed watching it! I love Rey, Finn and Poe and cant wait to see more of them. And BB8 is still with Poe, Im so glad Poe wasnt killed off in The Force Awakens. Loved that we saw Finn in a healing chamber, its nice that there is continunity on his injuries. Im sure he'll be fine, but it was nice to not be spoiled by him running around too.

Still sad about Hans...it was weird not seeing him (or Chewie?). At least the Falcon is still alive and kicking.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

Loved that we saw Finn in a healing chamber, its nice that there is continunity on his injuries. Im sure he'll be fine, but it was nice to not be spoiled by him running around too.

So that was what Finn was lying in. I had forgotten that his injures that serious.

• Love 1

My verdict: loved it! Like any great trailer, it gave me just enough to keep wanting more. The trailer for The Force Awakens made me optimistic that the movie would live up to its hype-which, IMO, it did and if this first trailer is any indication, I think the same thing's going to happen again.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

So that was what Finn was lying in. I had forgotten that his injures that serious.

Well...I am just assuming thats what it is. Lol. I was just watching The Force Awakens the other day, and Finn does get beat bad. I hope someone gives him some pointers on fighting for this next movie ;)

• Love 1