Type keyword(s) to search

Superior Donuts - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I like the way they gracefully retconned the vanilla white guy (Tush) into an "other" race category, showing how that changed his view of other groups and their views of him as a result of his changed viewpoint.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

So is Sweatpants a regular now?  I saw a new name in the cast list at the beginning. I hope so, I like his back and forth with Franco.

The story with John was very good I thought, I like that they didn't sentimentalize him, but at the same time I'm glad they didn't end the show with the three Santas fighting, which I think some sitcoms might have.

• Love 3

It seems like they were trying to help him without even talking to him about what he wanted or who he was. But when Moz Jobrani's character thought of who he really was, he came up with a job that was a good fit (and funny!), and everything turned around. I liked that. You can't help people without paying attention to who they are. It was hinted at in the beginning, when Franco gave him doughnuts; Franco meant well but wasn't listening. And John knew better but was kind of tired of trying, so he ate them anyway, and then later was dead weight for the rest of the "help" as well because it seemed like no matter their good intentions, they were kind of giving what they wanted without finding out what he needed.

• Love 2

Watching 2.8, "Electile Dysfunction" (December 18, 2017):

When Arthur suddenly decides to run against Fawz in a local election, his campaign manager, Franco, tries to help his boss bring home a win. Also, Tush and Randy realize they crossed paths long before the donut shop, and the encounter was hardly sweet. 

Some good bits, but was there always canned laughter? Especially really annoying canned laughter? 

I enjoyed this one also.  Does anyone else think they are possibly moving towards Randy and Tush becoming romantically involved?  She supposedly wasn't interested a few episodes ago but they seem to at least be getting closer as friends judging by the scene in the playground.

2 hours ago, roseha said:

I enjoyed this one also.  Does anyone else think they are possibly moving towards Randy and Tush becoming romantically involved?  She supposedly wasn't interested a few episodes ago but they seem to at least be getting closer as friends judging by the scene in the playground.

But they also had Tush and Arthur's daughter having a thing a few episodes ago. IDK.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But they also had Tush and Arthur's daughter having a thing a few episodes ago. IDK.

Tush is that friend who likes/flirts with everyone but never gets anywhere until they finally realize to give up and let life take over.

• Love 2

Episode 9:

"Sofia's Choice"

An admission from Franco and Sofia on the eve of her first big catering gig shocks Arthur and the gang. Also, Randy and Tush take temp jobs as security guards, leading to an unexpected revelation about Fawz.

Airs January 15, 2018.

• Love 1

Episode 10:

"Labor Pains"

Faced with art school expenses, Franco gives Sweatpants a choice: find a job to help pay their rent or find a new place to live. Also, Tush and Fawz go to great lengths to help Randy build a social media presence that will inspire envy in her ex.

Airs January 22, 2018.

• Love 1

Nice to see Sweatpants finally get a job. Franco's new roommate is definitely strange. I'll wonder if we'll see more of him as the season progresses?

I liked Arthur eating the pudding at the nursing home, heh.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Nice to see Sweatpants finally get a job. Franco's new roommate is definitely strange. I'll wonder if we'll see more of him as the season progresses?

I liked Arthur eating the pudding at the nursing home, heh.

I liked this one also.  Sweatpants is a good character and like the actor although I wish that he, like Tush, wasn't given such a ridiculous name.

Arthur's part in this was funny as well and the social media subplot was better than I would have expected.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, roseha said:

Sweatpants is a good character and like the actor although I wish that he, like Tush, wasn't given such a ridiculous name.

Yes, fun ep.  Do we know Sweatpants's real name?  Did anyone at work call him by name?  Now that he has a job and is dressing better, maybe he will ask his friends to call him by his name.  IMDB does not give Sweatpants's name, but Tush is listed as Carl 'Tush' Tushinski.

• Love 1
On 1/23/2018 at 2:06 PM, Driad said:

Do we know Sweatpants's real name?  Did anyone at work call him by name?  Now that he has a job and is dressing better, maybe he will ask his friends to call him by his name. 

Now that he work's at a nursing home, his friends will start calling him "Scrubs".

• Love 3

Episode 11:

"Grades of Wrath"

Convinced his first art-school assignment is a masterpiece, Franco is shocked when he receives a below-average grade and his unimpressed professor asks for a do-over. Also, Arthur becomes determined to discover the true identity of the customer who dared give his shop’s coffee a negative online review.

Airs January 29, 2018.

Franco's experience echoed my own back in college, except I could draw hands, and the instructor admitted he gave me the C- just to knock me off my own pedestal, so I was glad Franco's professor really did take time to teach him skills.

But I don't know why I'm watching anymore. Am I the only one who loved season one and finds season two just meh?

• Love 3

As soon as Franco showed off his Masterpiece, I said that it was not the assignment and knew very well where the story was going. Also with the coffee sub-plot, you knew something had to be wrong with the coffee pot.

I can't say I loved season one and I think I'm still watching only because it's there on my dvr and it does have some amusing moments. Since most of the shows I watch have excessive blood and guts, it's something lighter to watch.

• Love 2

Next week's episode looks good.  I still enjoy the show even if it varies a little from week to week.  One thing I think they should address is how long Randy will be on leave from being a cop.   I hope this show doesn't become more like so many sitcoms where some characters seem to have nothing to do but hang around and talk all day.

• Love 3

I've also been curious about when Randy's leave of absence will be over. I used to like her partner as well but I guess they wrote him out. It would also be nice if they dropped a mention about the blonde girl from the first season who was writing her thesis.

• Love 4

Episode 12:

"Always Bet on Black"

Frustrated by Fawz's willingness to exploit Black History Month, Franco invites a former Negro League baseball player to the shop to share his story; Randy decides to investigate a mysterious woman Tush meets through an online dating site.

Airs February 5, 2018.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I've also been curious about when Randy's leave of absence will be over. I used to like her partner as well but I guess they wrote him out. It would also be nice if they dropped a mention about the blonde girl from the first season who was writing her thesis.

I think we conjectured that the blonde girl had finished her thesis and therefore stopped coming to the doughnut shop.

I don't think Randy's leave of absence will ever be over. She's taken the place of the blonde grad student. I imagine at some point down the road, she'll end up leaving the police force and get another job that lets her be a frequent visitor to the shop.

• Love 1

Randy decides to investigate a mysterious woman Tush meets through an online dating site.

That mysterious woman was played by Leigh Koechner--real life wife of David Koechner (Tush).  And the kid who was silently reading in the window booth was Charlie Koechner--actual son of David and Leigh.  Charlie has appeared as a background actor in 2 or 3 episodes so far, but silent and uncredited.

• Love 5

Episode 13:

"Father, Son, and Holy Goats"

When Arthur hires Fawz’s son, Abe, at the shop, Franco encourages the aspiring DJ to skip college and follow his dream – even though that’s Fawz’s worst nightmare. Also, Sofia must contend with unruly goats and other unexpected challenges while organizing the Uptown Winter Carnival, her first big event as the business council’s new president.

Airs February 26, 2018.

• Love 2

Is there any health related reason that Judd Hirsch might have been reading his lines off of a cue card? I mean, he is 82, which is an age when certain afflictions can occur. I noticed the difference in the scene blocking so he isn't face to face with the actor to whom he speaking as he would have been in earlier episodes. More to the point: There were no pauses that are essential for comedic timing. The other possible reason could be that the pauses were edited out for time for commercials, which would be a horrible thing to do, but there are lots bad choices being made these these days for seemingly justifiable reasons.

Is this the first time they had Randy saying Tush's punch lines right before he said them? The only reason I can imagine for doing that is to be sure the audience knows that Tush is joking.

On 2/27/2018 at 9:36 AM, shapeshifter said:

Is this the first time they had Randy saying Tush's punch lines right before he said them? The only reason I can imagine for doing that is to be sure the audience knows that Tush is joking.

I thought she was saying the lines to show that Tush has told these stories exactly the same, over and over.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, Beezella said:

I thought she was saying the lines to show that Tush has told these stories exactly the same, over and over.

Ostensibly, yes. But on a show where every word has to count, maybe another reason?

Episode 14:

"High Class Problems"

When Franco discovers his new girlfriend, Tavi, is rich, he begins to wonder if she’s only dating him to make herself look more progressive. Also, Arthur significantly raises the price of his donuts to help pay for a new boat motor and winds up attracting the hipster crowd he once rejected – and alienating loyal customers like Randy and Tush.

Airs March 5, 2018.

Really like the way the show is handling Franco and Sophia - got the 'will they or wont they' thing out of the way and now they're actually just friends.  Love that Sophia actually help him figure things out with no jealousy or nonsense.  Breath of fresh air show thanks.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Scorpion (also on CBS) was preempted too. They're both back next week at the same time.
I can't figure out why. 

Thanks Shapeshifter, I know Elementary will be taking over for Scorpion when it finishes for the season, but I can't figure out the rest of it either.

• Love 1

Episode 15:

"The Chicago Way"

Randy, who just passed the detective’s exam, is asked by her former supervisor, Ted, to talk to a female rookie who has filed a sexual harassment complaint against him. Also, Arthur’s usual arrangement with a city health inspector to ignore violations in the shop goes awry when a new by-the-book inspector shows up.

Airs March 19, 2018.