Type keyword(s) to search

Superior Donuts - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Skyfall said:

You do know CBS has no control over what ABC does and vice versa? Also Real O’Neals went fractional and was one of the 2 worst rated comedies on ABC alongside Dr Ken.

i'm not saying one network has anything to do with the other. just stating my opinion on recent sitcoms on television.. don't know what "went fractional" means. and just because something is badly rated doesn't mean that some people for whatever reasons did enjoy it.  from what i can see there is no accounting for taste in general lately in entertainment and in other areas so theres that. 

16 hours ago, msrachelj said:

from what i can see there is no accounting for taste in general lately in entertainment and in other areas so theres that

I recall this to be a heartwarming show, but then my oncologist called me "belligerent," so maybe the average viewer's heart is already beyond the warmness setting at which this show would be effective. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, msrachelj said:

i'm not saying one network has anything to do with the other. just stating my opinion on recent sitcoms on television.. don't know what "went fractional" means. and just because something is badly rated doesn't mean that some people for whatever reasons did enjoy it.  from what i can see there is no accounting for taste in general lately in entertainment and in other areas so theres that. 

Went fractional means in the demo it got below a 1.0. Unless it’s CW and increasingly Fox, if it goes fractional on broadcast networks it’s a dead show walking. And if you’re say getting a 0.9 Rating with 3 million viewers than the majority of the general public doesn’t like said show.

I like the show. I don't love it. If it went away I wouldn't be crushed. But I like it while it's here. I think it's more thoughtful and interesting than some of the shows that use a similar formula and aesthetic. It doesn't really challenge you to think deeply or pay close attention, but it doesn't crush your spirit with shameless stupidity and insulting misogyny or general misanthropy most of the time, either. I get why it's popular. It kind of checks the easy box without being too extremely idiotic, gross, or alienating. You could let your kids watch, too, which I think makes it appealing to a large demo that is otherwise tuning out or policing the remote.

I loved the Real O'Neals and I did grieve its cancellation, so I'm in the camp of "if I had to choose one, it's RO'N" but I am still watching SD anyway.

I think belligerence in the face of cancer is probably a winning trait.

• Love 5

I liked tonight's episode with the Food Truck. I didn't realize until I saw next week's previews, but it looks like the food truck owner is a new regular now?   Apparently she is in and Anna Baryshnikov and the actor who played Randy's partner are out?

I don't watch a lot of new sitcoms, but I am liking this one a lot.  The cast is excellent and it has a down to earth quality that I appreciate.

• Love 2

I read that the woman running the food truck is a new series regular. They got rid of Peg Bundy's partner, the young black officer (at least they explained he transfered), but no explanation about the blonde grad student.

I like the show, but I'm not sure about the new regular.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

I only just now realized after reading the comments that the blonde girl was missing. I never hated her character but it's odd they would just pretend she never existed.

I thought she only hung out there because she was writing her thesis about them.  Maybe she graduated and moved on?

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

I thought she only hung out there because she was writing her thesis about them.  Maybe she graduated and moved on?

Some closure in the form of a "I came to say goodbye," or even a text would have been nice, but I guess the rationale is that if they did it this long after the last episode, many viewers would wonder who/ what they were talking about. Still, I bet they could easily work it in by explaining who she was to the Food Truck character.

Anyway, I'm glad my show is back in full form with Franco and Arthur finding ways to support each other in the end.

• Love 4

Fun to have this back, but I was distracted by wondering what the laws are for food trucks in Chicago. A friend had one in a different city and there were strict rules; they couldn't just park in a random parking spot even if they put a dime in the meter.

2 hours ago, Driad said:

Fun to have this back, but I was distracted by wondering what the laws are for food trucks in Chicago. A friend had one in a different city and there were strict rules; they couldn't just park in a random parking spot even if they put a dime in the meter.

From this article (Bomkamp, Samantha. "Things Looking Up for Food Trucks?" Chicago Tribune, Jan 07, 2017):

...The 2012 rules stipulated that food trucks can't park for more than two hours or within 200 feet of any brick-and-mortar food sellers, including restaurants and convenience stores like Walgreens. A third rule requires GPS tracking to be installed in every truck, and the data be made available to the public. The city said it has not yet accessed the data but that it needs it to track the trucks for health inspections.

...Robert Frommer, the Institute for Justice attorney representing Cupcakes for Courage food truck owner Laura Pekarik, argued that the rules are unconstitutional. The Institute for Justice filed a formal appeal Dec. 28. It's not clear when that appeal will be decided.

..."I don't care if you're a restaurant or a food truck, it takes time to set up and shut down," the restaurant association's Toia said, acknowledging that he supported the limit originally but has since seen how difficult it can be for trucks to serve in that limited amount of time.

...The two-hour rule is among the most contested among food trucks and their supporters, such as the Illinois Policy Institute, because of potential accidents from a lack of cool-down time with hot grills and cooking oil.

Another article from August 2017 that focuses on food truck businesses in the suburbs quotes a vendor as saying that the 2-hour rule is still in effect in Chicago.

• Love 2

I'm drawing you a picture of a kitten.

Everyone laughing at the idea that cops don't take bribes.

I have an interest in the actress who plays the food truck owner, ever since I read an article by her about what happened when her parents were deported while she was a child. She says she was literally left behind as a child and was on her own until some neighbors informally took her in. It was a harrowing story, if true If it's a lie, it makes her a pretty terrible person for making it up. I've seen her in two roles before, one on Greek and one on OITNB. And honestly, I am not crazy about her as an actress. But I really want to know about her life.

I liked her food truck, even if I thought she was shitty to park it where she did and act so FU about it. The yoga place is actually a good fit, though, so that's a good solution. I do question whether there'd be that much crossover between people who would buy donuts and people who would buy off her menu, and if the donu place is such a great spot, why there wouldn't already be other food options nearby. But as sitcom scenarios go, it wasn't the most outrageous contrivance I've seen.

• Love 2

I like the show, but this episode was kind of weak.  I'm not feeling the new food truck girl.  I won't miss the blonde college student - she didn't really bring anything to the table.  I wish they would have kept Katey Sagal's partner, but wrote him better.  He was such a bumbling idiot last season, but I thought he had potential.  

• Love 3
21 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I read that the woman running the food truck is a new series regular. They got rid of Peg Bundy's partner, the young black officer (at least they explained he transfered), but no explanation about the blonde grad student.

I like the show, but I'm not sure about the new regular.

Didn’t she write and finish her grad paper last season? Probably out of school now.

Also CBS Monday’s will NOT look the same after the holidays. 4 of the 5 shows were fractional last night with KCW at a 1.2 my guess is Young Sheldon will be moved over if it has good ratings once it returns on Thursday.

• Love 1

Oh how I love this show for all the silliness and real stuff they show.

I came to the show late last year and was - -ok - - -

And then I just settled in this year to enjoy the actors and the 'old school' sitcom vibe.

They address all sorts of issues with a bit of subtly and humor but also ..........yeah know the real world isn't all that great all the time.

Gentle, loving, creative and funny.

Just me of course....and I'm old, so there is that

• Love 5

Episode 2:

"Is There a Problem Officer?"

When a video surfaces of Randy being aggressive during a traffic stop, Franco begins to question her capabilities as a police officer. To prove that Randy is a good cop, Arthur agrees to Franco’s request to tail her while she’s on duty, and the night takes a dramatic turn.

Airs November 6, 2017.

• Love 2

Wow, This was an episode.............

WELL DONE SHOW!

This is a topic that resonates throughout all urban and rural centers of this country and done beautifully by all involved.We are invested in the characters and Ia giving everyone a break and yet............is there a subjective truth?  Can the characters really see the other point of view?

I WLL NOT MISS the next episodes because something is coming and I hope the writers and showrunner deal with it all respectfully.

It does seem they have boxed themselves in and it is just a vehicle for the cop to leave the show, but I hope not.

• Love 3
On 11/6/2017 at 10:56 PM, kaygeeret said:

Wow, This was an episode.............

WELL DONE SHOW!

This is a topic that resonates throughout all urban and rural centers of this country and done beautifully by all involved.We are invested in the characters and Ia giving everyone a break and yet............is there a subjective truth?  Can the characters really see the other point of view?

I WLL NOT MISS the next episodes because something is coming and I hope the writers and showrunner deal with it all respectfully.

It does seem they have boxed themselves in and it is just a vehicle for the cop to leave the show, but I hope not.

I dunno I feel like they dropped her partner to go down this route which makes sense, if they both leave the show though :/

• Love 1

Episode 4:

"Thanks for Nothing"

When Franco decides to host an orphans' Thanksgiving at the donut shop, he encourages Arthur to invite his daughter, Lucy, but Arthur will only agree if Franco invites his own estranged family member, his father, Reggie.

Airs November 20, 2017.

• Love 2

Episode 5:

"Flour Power"

Franco fires Arthur's longtime flour supplier for making offensive comments, but struggles to find a more principled replacement; Randy reluctantly agrees to let Tush crash at her place.

Airs November 27, 2017.

• Love 1

While they were all playing round-robin "-isms," how come no one called out the Latina girl for passing herself off as a lesbian in order do better business after the gay pride parade? Kind of seems like "gay for pay," and it's bullshit. 

• Love 2

Did I miss something? I remember Sofia saying she would be pandering to lesbians using creative product renaming/marketing - not unlike Arthur's Rainbow Donuts to bring in the Pride crowd. That's what savvy business people do. Did I miss her saying she'd actually pretend to be lesbian to get their money, which I believe is the definition of "gay for pay"?

• Love 1
On 11/29/2017 at 10:27 PM, giovannif7 said:

Did I miss something? I remember Sofia saying she would be pandering to lesbians using creative product renaming/marketing - not unlike Arthur's Rainbow Donuts to bring in the Pride crowd. That's what savvy business people do. Did I miss her saying she'd actually pretend to be lesbian to get their money, which I believe is the definition of "gay for pay"?

I don't remember the exact line, but I believe she was dressed in stereotypical lesbian attire and gave the impression that if her customers wanted to think she was gay, that was fine. Arthur didn't start wearing chaps or a feather boa to attract his gay male customers.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:
On November 29, 2017 at 9:27 PM, giovannif7 said:

I don't remember the exact line, but I believe she was dressed in stereotypical lesbian attire and gave the impression that if her customers wanted to think she was gay, that was fine. Arthur didn't start wearing chaps or a feather boa to attract his gay male customers.

Yeah, Sofia seemingly "got away with" being politically incorrect in this episode, maybe because of editing for time, which could be an example of this season's Inferior Donuts production. I would agree that Arthur's rainbow donuts would generally be appreciated by the gay community, regardless of Arthur's economic reasons for making them. He probably also has Christmas themed donuts even though he doesn't believe in the Virgin Birth. I wonder if there was originally some discussion in the script of the ethics of capitalizing on cultural touchstones. 

• Love 2

I might be showing my cultural bias (dyed in the wool dyke since childhood), but I didn't even notice her looking any different than usual. I guess it works; I just see a normal person when they're actually doing something they consider extreme, to pander to my peeps.

In my defense, I was probably the only person on the block who wasn't excited when Subaru started marketing to "us"; I knew it was a sign we'd become an identified market to exploit, and not a sign that they actually loved lezzies.

• Love 3

Episode 6:

"Error of Admission"

Franco considers giving up admission to his dream school after he learns Arthur included his ethnicity on the application despite Franco's desire to be accepted solely on the merits of his art.

Airs December 4, 2017.

wow immortalfrieza, I got an entirely different take from this episode.

I certainly respect your point of view, but I took the episode as a cry for the recognition of 'my' work that I have always accepted as my just due.  I found the episode really interesting, funny and charming and also enlightening.

Plus, I really enjoyed the DNA schtick...I had a bit of the same epiphany when I had my DNA done - - guess what - - I am pretty much everything too and it is a bit hilarious as my family has jumped on the bandwagon and we all realize we really are a nation of immigrants - people who, maybe, reinvented themselves - -and really why not?

The serious side of that story is that he was adopted and knew nothing and that is a different story altogether that this episode did not address.

I am really on board with the show......while they never go too deeply into something, they actually address lots of things and do it in an interesting and very often humorous way and I appreciate that.

Their mission is not documentary, but they are trying to use humor to shine a light....so to speak.

52 minutes ago, immortalfrieza said:

I watch fiction to escape from real life, not have it shoved in my face. We get it already, being black sucks, can that NOT be the focus of every single thing Franco says in any given episode?

You would’ve hated Norman Lear shows.

• Love 2
On December 3, 2017 at 11:12 PM, OnceSane said:

Episode 6:

"Error of Admission"

Franco considers giving up admission to his dream school after he learns Arthur included his ethnicity on the application despite Franco's desire to be accepted solely on the merits of his art.

Airs December 4, 2017.

Thanks, @OnceSane, for posting the episode intros; they keep the all-episodes thread from getting jumbled.

This episode was a little more like the season 1 episodes. I liked the physical comedy, like when Randy told Fawz that 400 years ago she would have had him killed and he moved down a few bar stools.

• Love 1

I still enjoy this show.  Unfortunately I do not enjoy the shows that air before and after it.  At least SD starts on the hour instead of on the half hour, so I have a better chance of tuning in on time.  

Still wondering where is the big outside wall where Franco painted the mural in season 1.

• Love 1

Last nights episode had me yelling at the tv. The premise of Franco's logic  was terrible and I hated the idea that one can only know if you deserve something if you are presumed to be white. They did get a 1/2 point for weakly verbalizing the truth that as a black (or any other POC) college student, racists will assume you are an affirmative action admission anyway, but I hated this episode. 

I also disliked how mean people initially were to Tush's character. He can be annoying, but is generally a good person and it was hard for me to see people being willfully mean to him. Glad they cleaned it up a bit at the end.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Thanks, @OnceSane, for posting the episode intros

I find that helpful, too.

I thought this week's episode was imperfect but also provocative in a good way. There was a lot of blame to go around, no one was totally right about anything. But they actually tried to repair their relationships and get along despite this, instead of hardening into their positions and just hating each other. That might be the most important issue in the world right now, as far as I'm concerned. In more than one episode recently, they've been setting up expectations and then subverting them, and showing people who behave badly being forgiven by others, who are not perfect either. I don't feel like they were actually getting anyone off the hook for their errors, but rather that they were showing people sticking it out and continuing to try, instead of either knuckling under just to get along, or distancing from each other because of an inability to empathize and keep trying.

It's good natured in a way I actually find somewhat inspiring. I mean, I thought Arthur was totally right about Affirmative Action, but totally wrong to check the box after Franco said not to. And I thought Franco was totally wrong about how he was looking at proving himself, but he was also willing to stay engaged with everyone who was telling him how wrong he was, which I think is a difficult thing to do sometimes, and really necessary if you're ever going to evolve in your thinking. Likewise, Tush was obnoxious, but people decided to cut him some slack because they realized he was coming from a feeling of loss from not knowing his birthparents. It's complicated, and they are all muddling through, imperfectly.

I loved the Normal Lear comedies, but it was always easy to see who was right and who was wrong on those shows. This show I think is challenging everyone to think more, and develop their arguments, and figure out how to make them without alienating each other and developing enemies. I think that's an interesting approach. I haven't thought they were endorsing anyone's folly. More just exposing it and asking folks to keep trying to get each other to do better.

I can't stand the shows before and after, either. Ugh.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5

Oh gosh DRIAD, I so agree with you - the shows before and after are truly awful and it really almost requires an effort of will to watch SD and then go somewhere else.

Lord that sounds a bit stupid doesn't it, but I guess we all sort of like to watch a few things in a row.

I will continue to make a concerted effort to locate and watch this show regardless of where it appears.

• Love 3

I finally caught up with this episode tonight - fortunately I just Tivo it every week so I get to it even if I forget when it's on -  and I actually really liked it.  I agree with everyone who felt that they were showing the complexity of the situation in a good way, that Arthur was only trying to help Franco, though Arthur disregarded his wishes and Franco eventually came around to understanding him.   It is good to see a show of people of various backgrounds who somehow find a way to meet part way.  In a way it reminds me of shows like the original Star Trek and Barney Miller, which featured racially diverse casts without acting like that was something extraordinary.  Except that Superior Donuts does make the differences more a point of the story, but not in an angry way as mentioned above.

I also think this was the first time they really made good use of Tush.  The actor who plays him is very good (I just this week recognized him in a Psych rerun in a very different role) but he never seemed to me to have much of  function before apart from making wisecracks.  The adoption/DNA story may be a good starting point for him.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 3

Episode 7:

"Homeless for the Holidays"

In the spirit of the holidays, Franco convinces Arthur and the rest of the gang to help John, a homeless man who fell ill at the donut shop, get back on his feet.

Airs December 11, 2017.

• Love 1
On 12/5/2017 at 11:59 AM, red12 said:

I also disliked how mean people initially were to Tush's character. He can be annoying, but is generally a good person and it was hard for me to see people being willfully mean to him. Glad they cleaned it up a bit at the end.

Especially Randy, considering how much effort Tush put in looking out for her in the last episode to help her deal with her unresolved issues with being shot.

• Love 2